PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs notebook: Little activity expected at trade deadline

duncan228
02-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Little activity expected at trade deadline (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Little_activity_expected_at_trade_deadline.html)
Jeff McDonald

INDIANAPOLIS — With a little more than 24 hours left in the NBA's trading season Wednesday, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said fans should brace for an upcoming blockbuster.

“(Tony) Parker and (Tim) Duncan, we got some guys for them,” Popovich said. “And Ginobili's going back to Europe. Other than that, I don't think there are going to be any changes.”

Rest assured, the Spurs won't be shipping away any member of their Big Three before today's trade deadline. In fact, Popovich said, the Spurs are unlikely to trade any of the other 11, either.

“We've talked to teams, teams have talked to us,” Popovich, who doubles as the Spurs' president, said before Thursday's 90-87 victory at Indiana. “That goes on all year long. It just intensifies come trade deadline. As we all know, very few things happen at the trade deadline, and I wouldn't expect anything to happen for us, either.”

The Spurs are still working to shop guard Roger Mason Jr., who earlier in the week expressed a willingness to be traded to a team that could offer more playing time. So far, they have been unable to find a suitable partner.

A deal with Miami, which would have netted a future second-round pick and would not have required the Spurs to take a player back, fell through when a Heat trade exception needed to make it work expired Monday. The Spurs have also had conversations with Memphis about Mason, but those talks appeared dead Wednesday night.

Hill's big night: When he first arrived on campus at IUPUI, Spurs guard George Hill took one look at the No. 34 hanging from the rafters of the Jaguars' home gym and told its owner his own jersey would be joining it one day.

“I told Carlos Knox, I'd have my jersey retired, too,” Hill said, referring to the player now regarded as the second-best player in that school's basketball history.

Tonight, Hill will have his jersey lifted to the rafters as well. Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis will retire Hill's No. 3 in a ceremony following its game tonight against Missouri-Kansas City.

While the rest of the Spurs will move on to Philadelphia this afternoon, Hill will be allowed to spend his night off in Indianapolis to attend the event.

“When I first got there, I said I wanted to go to the NBA, and I wanted to have my jersey retired,” Hill said. “It took a lot of hard work, but I got there.”

Hill's first game in Indianapolis since his IUPUI days didn't go so well Wednesday. He finished 3 for 11 with six points, just his second single-digit scoring game since Jan.16.

TheSpursFNRule
02-18-2010, 01:03 AM
I just wish we could get a guy like Sam Young and start grooming him for the future. These are the kind of trades we need.

murpjf88
02-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Well, the Spurs won't get too far with Bogans and Bonner in the starting lineup.

Sean Cagney
02-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Well, the Spurs won't get too far with Bogans and Bonner in the starting lineup.

HUH!!!!!!!!!!! Thats a given! We might have the pieces but damn thats not it you IDIOT POP. Those two are dead weight, some role players who get spot minutes at best. What would Hairston do instead of Bogans? I am betting more? What would Ian do instead of Bonner? I am betting more. We can roll with what we have, but his rotations are utter trash.

EricB
02-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Yeah if only we had John Lucas back...

Blake
02-18-2010, 01:44 AM

yeah, it would be fun watching Tim play some point guard.

Dingle Barry
02-18-2010, 03:28 AM

Shitty strawman argument.

urunobili
02-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Sam Young for Mase would be a dream... :drool:

CGD
02-18-2010, 09:27 AM
I think the Spurs are looking for a trade exception for Mase. They almost had it with Miami; wouldn't be surprised if that's what was talked about with Memphis too. I'm not holding my breath for anything else at this point.

dbestpro
02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
I just wish Pop would keep 2 bigs on the floor at all times.

Spurstro
02-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Hill's first game in Indianapolis since his IUPUI days didn't go so well Wednesday. He finished 3 for 11 with six points, just his second single-digit scoring game since Jan.16.

Wasn't his first game at Indianapolis last year?

Rito3d30
02-18-2010, 09:55 AM
at least free Mahinmi and Ratliff from the bench pls

SenorSpur
02-18-2010, 09:55 AM
I just wish Pop would keep 2 bigs on the floor at all times.

That would be like asking Pop to denounce his undying "man-love" for Finley.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-18-2010, 10:44 AM
:bang

lebomb
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Spurs gonna lose in the 1st round of the playoffs 4-2 with this group.

Chomag
02-18-2010, 10:51 AM
If no deals go down, They realy should play Ian, and Hairston becuase their current roster line up is not going to cut it.

Spurs will need all the help they can get.

jag
02-18-2010, 10:51 AM
I'd kind of like to see Mahinmi get shipped off for a 2012 2nd round pick. Only because this place would turn into utter chaos.

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 11:18 AM

Spurs went 25-4 when he took over as coach.

FromWayDowntown
02-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Spurs gonna lose in the 1st round of the playoffs 4-2 with this group.

That would actually be improvement over last year.

And given what remains of the schedule, saying that the Spurs will make the playoffs actually qualifies as a fairly optimistic view of things.

Chomag
02-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Spurs went 25-4 when he took over as coach.

With a not so great team. :lol

FromWayDowntown
02-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Wasn't his first game at Indianapolis last year?

Yup. He played 13 minutes at Indiana last year (a 126-121 Spurs win), scored 2 points on 1-3 FG, with a rebound, an assist, and a steal.

SenorSpur
02-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Sam Young for Mase would be a dream... :drool:

That WOULD be a dream - and a wet one at that. :lol

EricB
02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
That would be like asking Pop to denounce his undying "man-love" for Finley.

The guy he played zero minutes last night?

Dr. Gonzo
02-18-2010, 01:31 PM

You shouldn't make references like this. Most of these posters don't get it.

SenorSpur
02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
The guy he played zero minutes last night?

One night of separation does not a relationship make.:lol

Death In June
02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
The guy he played zero minutes last night?He is being saved for the PO.

DBMethos
02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
He is being saved for the PO.

As our starting Center.