PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Noire

DarkReign
02-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Rockstar games is blowing the doors off their open-world formula (apparently).

0sk9YjbbyJw

The premier of this game was featured in this month's issue of Game Informer, and theyre using some new cutting edge facial (and body) recognition software.

Its going to blow the doors off Mass Effect 2 and Heavy Rain in terms of computer animation.

I read the article and hope some of you have as well, but the lead designer was quoted as saying "We dont even have one animator on staff" using this technology.

I dont know whether that means something to most of you or not, but that is a HUGE deal. They went real in-depth about the tech's ability to produce final-cut footage in less than a day.

Using analogies like "what would take an animator a month to perfect takes 20 minutes".

This is revolutionary. Game making just got cheaper and faster. One drawback though is, in order for any game using it to have continuity amongst the cast, every single character in game must be portrayed by a real actor. Every single one, every pedestrian on the street, every spoken, every everything (if they didnt, the non-acted characters would be instantly and jarringly recognizable).

They kept referencing the uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley). That this tech is so incredible, you dont get that feeling.

Obviously, its all very one-sided information and the only trailer of the game never shows a moment of this tech (purposely).

Honestly, the game to me, sounds great, but I am more interested in the tech behind it. If it is true what they say (and tbh, the way they were talking about it, it has to be or their reputations are ruined...this is Rockstar after all), then the way games are made has changed forever and the line between movies and games just got extremely blurred.

Apparently, the actors only have a 45º range of motion, which is limiting to say the least, but definitely workable. In the years to come, I can almost guarantee that limitation will be widdled away until 360º is possible.

Again, for the unindoctrinated, making games like Mass Effect 2 is an extremely laborous process for a number of reasons...the biggest is the facial animations and character movements (the animator's job). This process takes literally years of labor time over the course of development and costs literally millions for your top shelf productions.

This tech eliminates that completely. Completely. Think about that...Rockstar's self-admitted "most ambitious title" to date doesnt have one fucking animator working on it! Not one!

To be honest, I hope this tech does what it says (i think it will). It seems LA Noire's gameplay revolves around it, in that you the player should be able to tell when an NPC is lying by their facial expressions. If thats true, shit done changed.

Reading the actors take on the tech is funny. They step into a sound-proof room and get interaction from the director. They step out of the room and 20 minutes later their likeness shows up looking and talking like them. They say it is eeiry accurate.

I hope this cuts game production costs and becomes widespread. It adds the all elusive human element to games that not even the most talented animator in the world can re-create. It employs humans to do video game work, will probably launch the careers of otherwise unknowns and eliminate the rigid, robotic animations of current gen games with fluid, easily recognizble gestures and motions cheaply and effectively.

I hope it works like a charm and becomes an industry standard. Your favorite games will get out a lot sooner with far better animation and spoken dialogue.

The creative director and the actors said (i paraphrase) "Its really weird, you can mute the scene youre watching and lip-read what theyre saying.

I am stoked.

z0sa
02-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Sounds amazing.

DarkReign
02-18-2010, 11:14 AM
The director also said "I hope this tech does what others have done in the past (lighting engines, physicis engines, etc), in that it will say to the world 'This is what we did before, this is what we do after'."

Ambitious talk. From any other stuido, I wouldnt believe it (im looking at you, Lionhead). But Rockstar?

Ive got a feeling they may have just pulled it off. I am kind of stoked to see the facial tech on display in this game...hopefully a new trailer comes out soon showing it off, because up until this issue of GI, this aspect of the game had never been talked about before.

koriwhat
02-18-2010, 11:39 AM
a video from 2006... hmm

IronMexican
02-18-2010, 12:22 PM
After GTA4, nothing not named Red Dead Redemption can get me stoked about Rockstar.

DarkReign
02-18-2010, 01:13 PM
They took the lid off with the GI preview this month.

Expect to see more from this game very soon.

symple19
02-18-2010, 01:16 PM
interesting, thanks for the heads up DR

koriwhat
02-18-2010, 01:24 PM
After GTA4, nothing not named Red Dead Redemption can get me stoked about Rockstar.

yeah that game sucked!

Bender
02-18-2010, 05:43 PM
so games will be cheaper to make, and may sell for less money soon?

yeah, I'm sure they'll lower the prices.

DarkReign
02-19-2010, 06:56 PM
so games will be cheaper to make, and may sell for less money soon?

yeah, I'm sure they'll lower the prices.

Never said games would be cheaper, just quicker and easier to make.

DarkReign
11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Other than a handful of screenshots and a tech demo video, we've seen next to nothing of Team Bondi's anticipated take on 1940's crime fiction, L.A. Noire -- a game that's been talked about since 2006. That will change at noon on Thursday when publisher Rockstar Games unveils the very first trailer for the title.

Via Twitter and the Rockstar Newswire, Rockstar issued a brief statement announcing the debut trailer for L.A. Noire will launch at noon EST on Thursday, November 11 on its site and at an updated version of the official L.A. Noire web site. The announcement came with this image:

http://xbox360media.gamespy.com/xbox360/image/object/142/14249693/noire.jpg

What little we know about the game comes from a March cover story in Game Informer magazine. Set in a digital reconstruction of 1947 Los Angeles, players will join the ranks of the LAPD and work their way up through the ranks by solving a series of murders as Cole Phelps. The open world adventure will feature an advanced animation and motion capture system that will enable players to interrogate suspects and determine whether or not a character is lying or holding something back by their facial expressions.

Originally set to launch as a PlayStation 3 exclusive, Rockstar has confirmed L.A. Noire is also being developed for the Xbox 360. In August the publisher bumped back the game's release date from September to sometime in the first half of 2011.

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/la-noire/1133176p1.html

SpursNextRomanEmpire
11-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Damn I remember reading about this game years ago. Gonna be money, I'm more pumped for Agent though.

ChumpDumper
11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Why is there an "e" on the end of noir?

Should have just made a game based on Easy Rawlins books.

CuckingFunt
11-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Why is there an "e" on the end of noir?

Because it's a lady.

DarkReign
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
J2apXFdtO9o

The graphics are par for the course, no biggy. But the animations, man!

DarkReign
11-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Wow, watch that in HD and wait for the Irishman to speak the lines "Takes a certain animal cunning, lad...". Blown away.

Its around the 0:25 mark.

BlairForceDejuan
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I still get blown away by the attention to detail in Red Dead. All I needed to hear was Rockstar and Sandbox; I'm in.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
11-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Damn those animations look real

Cant wait

SpursNextRomanEmpire
11-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Especially the facial animations

Soul_Patch
11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
When is this game supposed to be released. i read about it a while back and i was sold.

BlairForceDejuan
11-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Sounds like its not so much as open world as a RedDead/Obliv :(

cool cat
11-30-2010, 04:41 PM
I’m sorry but I’ve watched the trailer a bunch of times now, a few without sound, and I’m not impressed by the animations. Heavy Rain looks way better than this game.

DarkReign
11-30-2010, 05:24 PM
I’m sorry but I’ve watched the trailer a bunch of times now, a few without sound, and I’m not impressed by the animations. Heavy Rain looks way better than this game.

Nothing to be sorry about.

cool cat
12-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Nothing to be sorry about.

I'm probably still going to get it. :hat

DarkReign
12-21-2010, 04:46 PM
q2EG5J05048

Sweet.

Fpoonsie
12-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Goddammit, DR. I've been waiting for this game ever since you started this thread damn-near 5 years ago...

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2010, 06:02 PM
is this better then mafia 2?

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Looks fun, considering it's supposed to be a sandbox and the fact that Rockstar makes it.

Typhoon
01-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Any game from Rockstar gets me pumped, cant wait for this =D

DarkReign
02-09-2011, 02:04 PM
jeYym1U226M

Actual gameplay trailer.

lefty
02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Shit looks good

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Wow. The weren't lying about that scan shit. The faces look so good I was actually able to recognize some of these actors. Looks intriguing.

DJ Mbenga
02-10-2011, 12:05 AM
wow that looks identical to the mad men actor. i mean super close. cant wait for this game. this is what mafia 2 should have been

Stringer_Bell
02-10-2011, 12:19 AM
The facial graphics are amazing, but the sound is a little buggy to me (probably will be fixed tho). It looks like it could be fun, but also might not have as much action as I need from a sandbox game.

Sense
02-10-2011, 03:17 PM
The facial graphics are amazing, but the sound is a little buggy to me (probably will be fixed tho). It looks like it could be fun, but also might not have as much action as I need from a sandbox game.

This also concerned me, it looks like it's more of just walking around looking for clues than to do the usual sandbox gaming stuff..

ElNono
02-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Looks pretty sick.. gonna have to check it out

EricB
02-10-2011, 11:12 PM
May 17th!??!?! WTF happened to APril?!?!?! Son of a bitcH!