PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stats Piece

pad300
02-18-2010, 11:47 AM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/02/17/notes-from-wayne-winston-part-1/

This is actually very interesting. It is strongly suggestive that, a) we actually have a shot this year, and b) we have redundant parts

The article proposes that so far we have seven line-up combinations that are well above average (as in compete with just about anyone in the league)... Using these combos, we could likely compete with any team in the league.
The line up combinations suggest that our biggest weakness might be at back up PG... Consider that of the 7 lineups, only 2 don't feature Parker at PG - one with a Hill-Ginobili backcourt, and then the worst of the 7 with a Hill-Mason backcourt. A real backup PG rather than Mason would likely take that spot away from him.

Also these lineups don't include Mahinmi, Hairston, Theo (these may be because of not enough playing time) & Finley. Mason and Bogans only appear once apiece (both in the 2 lowest effectiveness lineups), might also be very replaceable.

wildbill2u
02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Ginobilli needs to be on the court most of the time. He works well with Duncan, Blair, Parker and Hill. Why can't Pop see this? Save him for what?

Mel_13
02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Interesting stuff.

I would really like to see a longer list that includes the less effective combinations along with an additional field to show the number of minutes that each combination has played.

If you're trying to look for the positives going forward this season, the biggest one may be found here. Pop has obviously limited the minutes of Duncan, Dice, and Ginobili all year long. If their minutes go up for the stretch run and the playoffs as one would expect, that would mean more minutes for the most favorable combinations.

For example, Duncan has played in 63% of all minutes played this year. McDyess has played in 41%. They have only been on the court together for 26% of the time. So combinations that include TD and Dice have only been on the court for very limited minutes. Increased playing time for both, and Dice in the starting lineup, should make things better.

Of course, last night's starting line-up makes it hard to look for the positives.

Parker2112
02-18-2010, 02:15 PM
I still believe. If these players start meshing, we will be in it. Kobe is hoping his injuries go away with rest. We have seen how that works out...we can beat the nuggets. Who else can't we compete with? Its like they say: That's why they play the games.

pad300
02-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Interesting stuff.

I would really like to see a longer list that includes the less effective combinations along with an additional field to show the number of minutes that each combination has played.

If you're trying to look for the positives going forward this season, the biggest one may be found here. Pop has obviously limited the minutes of Duncan, Dice, and Ginobili all year long. If their minutes go up for the stretch run and the playoffs as one would expect, that would mean more minutes for the most favorable combinations.

For example, Duncan has played in 63% of all minutes played this year. McDyess has played in 41%. They have only been on the court together for 26% of the time. So combinations that include TD and Dice have only been on the court for very limited minutes. Increased playing time for both, and Dice in the starting lineup, should make things better.

Of course, last night's starting line-up makes it hard to look for the positives.

I don't think you're going to get the minutes/year; if I understand what Mr. Winston is doing, these are proposed/projected combinations from the collected statistical data. If you want to ask, I think you should go to the original piece and comment there. The site author may follow up with Winston.

igruex
02-18-2010, 02:55 PM
So, what numbers show is that the main problem is Pop? Not only that, fans intuition here in ST is supported by solid facts.