PDA

View Full Version : GM's $5,000 Minivan, A Hit In China

mrsmaalox
02-18-2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123823287&sc=fb&cc=fp

GM's $5,000 Minivan, A Hit In China

by Tracy Samilton
February 18, 2010

Imagine an automaker building a minivan that costs only $5,000 and gets more than 40 miles per gallon. General Motors did. It's called the Wuling Sunshine. But it's only available in China and other developing nations.

It takes a couple of minutes on the streets of Shanghai before an example of GM's biggest success in China putters by. Last year, GM and its partner Wuling sold more than 560,000 Sunshines, a minivan that's popular both in the countryside and in big cities. The Sunshine sure puts the mini in minivan. But a newer, similar model, the Wuling Rongguang, suits 45-year-old Yu Guomin just fine.

Yu works at an electroplating company, and he and his nephew Yu Bin use their Rongguang to get to work and haul materials. Yu Guomin says the van is roomy, reliable, and the gas mileage is fantastic.

'A Pumpkin On Wheels'

Sounds great. But there are a few drawbacks by American standards. Let's start with the Sunshine's little three-cylinder engine.

"There are frankly some lawn tractors that have more horsepower than that," says Michael Robinet, an auto industry analyst with CSM Worldwide.

Robinet agreed to talk about the Sunshine after GM declined. He thinks trying to sell it in the United States would be crazy. He calls the Sunshine "a pumpkin on wheels." It has a top speed of about 80 miles an hour.

There's a radio. But Americans expect things like entertainment and navigation systems. And the biggest drawback is safety. Robinet says there aren't even any seat belts in the back row.

"In North America, we are accustomed to at least six air bags," Robinet says. "Driver, passenger and probably two side air bags on each side. That vehicle is not engineered for air bags. So you'd have to re-engineer the entire vehicle for the safety structure that we expect in this market."

In Shanghai, a little van is a lot safer than fighting traffic on a bicycle. But the Sunshine would never pass a U.S. government safety inspection. Once you've gone down that road, the cost starts to skyrocket.

No American Substitute

There isn't anything close to the Sunshine at Lou LaRiche Chevrolet in Plymouth, Mich. GM doesn't even make a minivan for the U.S. market. General Manager Ron Chaudoin looks quizzical when a reporter describes the Sunshine's horsepower.

"To get to top speed you probably take a wind behind you and a downhill ramp to get there," Chaudoin says. "Our cars will get there by the time you're at the end of the driveway."

Chaudoin points to a model that can move both people and cargo: a Chevy Traverse SUV with six times the Sunshine's horsepower. The base price is also six times more. The Traverse has front and side air bags, anti-lock brakes, stability control, tire pressure monitoring and other safety features. Not to mention the interior.

"Well, I don't imagine they put leather seats in a $5,000 car," Chaudoin says.

To be fair to the Sunshine, GM made money off this vehicle last year. And the lifestyles of hundreds of thousands of people in China improved because they could afford to buy it. GM says it will make money in the U.S., too. But the company will have to go about it American style. That means zippy engines, style, crashworthiness, creature comforts and a higher price.

http://choxe.net/tintuc/news_pictures/5/dmkms1246523194.jpg

DMX7
02-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Anything small and cheap is a hit in China.

CosmicCowboy
02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
They would sell here too if it was legal to sell them.

They can sell motorcycles with no safety features, but once you put 4 wheels on them there are multiple hoops the manufacturers have to jump through.

PM5K
02-18-2010, 03:44 PM
It almost sounds like the article is trying to make us out to be idiots because we won't buy anything without ten speakers, three LCD screens, and a satellite antenna, but the fact of the matter is that people but Kia Rios in this country, make it safe and people will buy it.

I mean look at the SmartCar, people but those as well. I guess the real question is, after they add seat belts, air bags, and whatever else it's missing, how much would it cost?

Agitator
02-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Anything small and cheap is a hit in China.

Does that mean you are a big dating hit there?

clambake
02-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Does that man you are a big dating hit there?

what?

Agitator
02-18-2010, 05:13 PM
what?

Do you need pictures with circles and arrows explaining how to put the words "small and cheap" with the word "dating"?

clambake
02-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Do you need pictures with circles and arrows explaining how to put the words "small and cheap" with the word "dating"?

you didn't explain what you wrote.

maybe it was a typo.

Agitator
02-18-2010, 06:43 PM
you didn't explain what you wrote.

maybe it was a typo.

DING!

Dammit. didn't see that. now i'm the asshole, but i'll go back and fix it.

DMX7
02-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Dammit. didn't see that. now i'm the asshole, but i'll go back and fix it.

Too late. :)

jacobdrj
02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
I want:

A) A car I can fit in (I am over 6 ft. tall.)
B) A car that is dependable --> I expect nominal repair fees over 150,000 miles.
C) A car that has safe engineering --> No screaming metal death trap, window wipers/deicers
D) Heater
E) AC
F) AM/FM, 1 speaker

I'd like 30+ mpg.

sabar
02-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Too bad it costs 20k after regulated safety features and not making the frame out of plastic or whatever they got away with in china.

Mark in Austin
02-18-2010, 07:14 PM
They would sell here too if it was legal to sell them.

They can sell motorcycles with no safety features, but once you put 4 wheels on them there are multiple hoops the manufacturers have to jump through.

You gotta admit... an airbag on a motorcycle might make for a great bit in the next Jackass movie...

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 07:29 PM
I've seen a family of six on a single scooter in China, so that's clearly a step up for them. Since the US government owns GM now maybe they'll use some of that money the banks paid back to subsidize the cost of a GM minivan in the US.

CosmicCowboy
02-18-2010, 08:14 PM
You gotta admit... an airbag on a motorcycle might make for a great bit in the next Jackass movie...

:lmao

Good point. That would be fun to watch.

My point was that we can have goobers flying down the freeways on riceburners without helmets zigging in and out of traffic and thats OK from a safety perspective but it is ILLEGAL to put a car on the streets that doesn't have multiple redundant safety features. It makes no sense.

Bender
02-18-2010, 09:04 PM
You gotta admit... an airbag on a motorcycle might make for a great bit in the next Jackass movie...airbags on motorcycles are already here.

http://world.honda.com/MotorcycleAirbag/

mrsmaalox
02-19-2010, 09:36 AM
airbags on motorcycles are already here.

http://world.honda.com/MotorcycleAirbag/

That looks like it'll push you right off the bike. Probably need to add a seatbelt! :lol

boutons_deux
02-19-2010, 10:31 AM
"look at the SmartCar, people but [sic] those"

not really. The Smart sales are cratering, starting from a minuscule share of the market.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2010/01/11/US-Smart-car-sales-foundering/UPI-44911263237282/

Fat-assed 300-pound Americans love their fat-assed, gold-plated, 5000-pound land yachts.

For a two-seater micro-car to get only 36 mpg is crazy.

VW Jetta diesel TDI has been hovering around/over 50 mpg for last several years. Germans and Japs will be bringing more super-efficient, quiet, non-polluting 4-cyl diesels this year. Americans probably won't buy them unless Giant Squid Goldman Sucks pushes the price of oil back up to $150.

Prius is a fncking joke. After a few years, replace the battery for $5000, wiping out/surpassing all the gas savings.

My (theoretical) bets are on non-food bio-diesel and German/Jap 4-cyl diesel engines, not that Americans will go that route.

Chief
02-20-2010, 01:19 AM
this type of vehicle works well for china or even india because of the mass population, the cars won't be going that fast anyway, not much can be done.