PDA

View Full Version : Tank 2009-2010

mexicanjunior
02-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Can we go ahead and get this process started now?

I figure if we sit Duncan and Parker for the remainder of the year, we would do no better than 38-43 wins. Where do you guys think that would leave us when it comes to chances in the lottery?

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-18-2010, 04:36 PM
12th/13th.

ffadicted
02-18-2010, 04:48 PM
We've already won too many games for John Wall, what's the point lol

mexicanjunior
02-18-2010, 04:50 PM

You never know, what is the point in wearing down TD and TP for another year without any sort of payoff? I'd rather have a small chance at a franchise player than no chance of advancing out of a 7-8th seed...

objective
02-18-2010, 04:52 PM
:pop: Way ahead of you pal. Smallball will take care of it!

mexicanjunior
02-18-2010, 04:52 PM
I think Pop tanked the season on his fifth day in camp....

He started the process but he needs to finish it by giving 2 of the big 3 a nice vacation...

Chomag
02-18-2010, 04:53 PM

Not that I agree with tanking but even with all thses too many wins as you say. Spurs are what, 1 game ahead of the 8th seed right now? It wouldn't be to hard to do actually.

mexicanjunior
02-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Not that I agree with tanking but even with all thses too many wins as you say. Spurs are what, 1 game ahead of the 8th seed right now? It wouldn't be to hard to do actually.

I think we have to worry more about the East teams dominating the ping pong counts...which is why it has to be done ASAP.

baseline bum
02-18-2010, 05:07 PM

LOL. If the Spurs lost every game for the rest of the season, they'd likely have the 10th worst record in the league, and a 4% shot at moving into the top 3 picks (and an 87% chance of getting #10 and a 9% chance at #11).

Mr. Body
02-18-2010, 05:24 PM
"With the #3 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, the San Antonio Spurs select... Gregg Popovich no longer their coach."

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-18-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm not for tanking because, as bb points out, there's little point. However I am all for getting our youth out onto the court and seeing what they have to offer. Time to get Ian and Malik on the floor consistently.

Muser
02-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Yep, bench Finley and Bonner, give Ian and Malik decent minutes.

mexicanjunior
02-18-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm not for tanking because, as bb points out, there's little point. However I am all for getting our youth out onto the court and seeing what they have to offer. Time to get Ian and Malik on the floor consistently.

Since we all know Pop is not going to play either...I don't see the upside of playing Parker and Duncan into the ground, especially if Parker plans to play for the French this off-season. Might as well slow down some of their wear and tear for a run next year...

sabar
02-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Tanking doesn't recoup holt his massive investment in RJ. It also gives a slim chance of getting anything worthwhile and robs us of seeing playoff Duncan in his final years. You think Duncan wants to spend his last years rebuilding? He doesn't care if his team is one and done in the playoffs. He is extremely competitive.

mexicanjunior
02-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Tanking doesn't recoup holt his massive investment in RJ. It also gives a slim chance of getting anything worthwhile and robs us of seeing playoff Duncan in his final years. You think Duncan wants to spend his last years rebuilding? He doesn't care if his team is one and done in the playoffs. He is extremely competitive.

Sorry but seeing Duncan playing 1 on 5 against a superior team and swept out of the first round is not very appealing...

As for Holt, he has made plenty of money over the Duncan era with a minimal payroll, it's hard to cry him a river now that he opened the bank at the end of Tim's career...

objective
02-18-2010, 06:04 PM
While a tank would be nice, Pop will grind the team heavy just to get the playoff money. It's like $1 million per homegame to ownership.

The big 3's minutes will skyrocket and they'll crawl into the playoffs and get plowed in 4, maybe 5.

Then Matt Bonner gets re-signed as the cycle begins anew.

Slinkyman
02-18-2010, 06:09 PM
While a tank would be nice, Pop will grind the team heavy just to get the playoff money. It's like $1 million per homegame to ownership.

The big 3's minutes will skyrocket and they'll crawl into the playoffs and get plowed in 4, maybe 5.

Then Matt Bonner gets re-signed as the cycle begins anew.

You left out the part where the Spurs trade Splitter to the Rockets so they can resign Bonner because it'd be crazy to offer an unproven player 3 million a year but when you know for a fact that they suck then it's ok.

rascal
02-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Agree. For this year a title is not happening but the spurs can start playing the young guys to see what they have and build for next year.

objective
02-18-2010, 06:13 PM
You left out the part where the Spurs trade Splitter to the Rockets so they can resign Bonner because it'd be crazy to offer an unproven player 3 million a year but when you know for a fact that they suck then it's ok.

:lol

you're right, I forgot. You're a sharp dude.

There will be threads proclaiming that there's no way they should pay 3 per to Splitter, because that would make him the highest paid 1st rounder who sat out 3 years in NBA history! The hysteria would boil.

Splitter can't rebound. Splitter can't defend. Splitter can't play next to Duncan. Splitter demands to play ahead of Duncan. Splitter is a problem-child. Splitter has a long, creepy neck. Splitter is using us. Splitter's whole game won't translate.

Meanwhile . . .

We need Bonner to spread the floor! Remember Robert Horry! Bonner's just like that! Bonner knows the system! Bonner knows his role! Bonner is loyal! Bonner is a good defender! Bonner leads the Spurs in plus/minus!

HarlemHeat37
02-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Alright, I'm on the bandwagon for this one..

Shut down Timmy and Tony for the season, get a lottery pick, try to re-load for another run next year and for the future at the same time..

superjames1992
02-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Can we go ahead and get this process started now?

I figure if we sit Duncan and Parker for the remainder of the year, we would do no better than 38-43 wins. Where do you guys think that would leave us when it comes to chances in the lottery?
This post makes me sick.

Spurs Brazil
02-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Shut down Timmy and Tony for the season, get a lottery pick, try to re-load for another run next year and for the future at the same time..

Good idea. TP can rest and play for France in the summer

EmptyMan
No need to tank when you are banking on 2nd rounders.

spurtech09
might as will tank the season the spurs are losing to a freakin sorry team the sixers

The Truth #6
02-19-2010, 09:21 PM
We're probably not going to make the playoffs even if we wanted to. I'd like to see the youth get minutes. If we continue to suck then so be it. If the team improves then all the better.

mexicanjunior
02-19-2010, 09:22 PM
This post makes me sick.

The Spurs play should make you sicker...only lottery magic is going to fix this sinking ship....

SouthTexasRancher
02-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Consider this season tanked. We are going for the lottery! :toast

Thompson
02-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Is something wrong with Tim? His stats haven't been great the last couple of games (well, his points anyway).

Why don't we sit Parker for a month (in a boot) in the hopes that his pf goes away? Either it heals and we can squeak into the playoffs firing on all cylinders (hopefully), or it doesn't and we evade going into the playoffs only to get shredded in the first round.

If the latter, hopefully we get a pretty good pick (maybe someone falls to us like Al-Farouq Aminu from Wake Forest, a lengthy small forward), we re-sign Ginobili (who agrees that he's done with NT), Parker stays away from NT to make sure his pf heals (or we trade him), Splitter comes over, and if Jefferson doesn't pick up the system better in the second year we trade his expiring contract for Iguodala or someone else who can help us.

Splitter McDyess
Duncan Blair
Jefferson Aminu
Hairston Ginobili
Parker Hill

HarlemHeat37
02-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Duncan is 33 years old with TONS of mileage..we're lucky he even looks this good, look at how bad KG looks right now..he shouldn't have to completely carry a team for half a season, which is what he did last year in the 1st half of the season and what he's done this season..

He can't do that anymore, so he's going to break down..

ulosturedge
02-19-2010, 11:01 PM
We lost to the Sixer's tonight. I think we are well on our way to tanking...

Allanon
02-20-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm not even sure the Spurs have to TRY to tank.

I'm disappointed that the Spurs didn't do any big trades. It seems that the FO has already decided on trying again next year.

Spurs have 29 games left

21 games are against Playoff/Borderline teams
17 are Road games
10 games are against the top teams (Cavs/Mavs/Lakers/Nuggz/Hawks/Magic)
7 back 2 backs

mexicanjunior
02-21-2010, 09:03 PM
If these last 2 losses haven't turned around the minds of the non-tankers...nothing will.

HarlemHeat37
02-21-2010, 09:06 PM
There's no point of not resting Tony and Tim for the rest of the season at this point..let them rest up and make one more run next season after getting in the lottery and trying to trade Jefferson's expiring contract in the off-season..

Let Manu play and talk to him about what he wants to do for the future..

Let the youth play..

Allanon
02-21-2010, 09:08 PM
It's going be pretty rough the next two weeks.

Next 7 games straight are against Playoff level teams. 4 on the road.

My Fault
02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
To late to tank. However before the season I thought it would be impossible to miss the playoffs, now it seems very likely. The best we can hope for now is some serious overhaul in offseason.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I am beginning to give up on the spurs

smrattler
02-21-2010, 09:13 PM

Don't sit anyone and we might not win much more than 41 games anyway.

Spurs Brazil
02-21-2010, 09:14 PM
There's no point of not resting Tony and Tim for the rest of the season at this point..let them rest up and make one more run next season after getting in the lottery and trying to trade Jefferson's expiring contract in the off-season..

Let Manu play and talk to him about what he wants to do for the future..

Let the youth play..

Agree with TD, but Parker needs to play until he completely breakdown so he won't be stupid enough to play another summer.

I hope TP play 48 minutes in all games until the end

I_Speak_4_Dallas_Fan
02-21-2010, 09:14 PM
:lmao

Mal
02-21-2010, 09:15 PM
It's going be pretty rough the next two weeks.

Next 7 games straight are against Playoff level teams. 4 on the road.

Nice L9 coming on.

SenorSpur
02-21-2010, 09:22 PM

That reloading process would've accelerated considerably had the FO "flipped" those expiring contracts for a talent upgrade. Swapping out players like Bonner, Finley and Mason in exchange for say, Thomas and Salmons. or even Brewer would've been an immediate and longer-term benefit.

SenorSpur
02-21-2010, 09:24 PM

I'm disappointed that the Spurs didn't do any big trades. It seems that the FO has already decided on trying again next year.

Spurs have 29 games left

17 are Road games
7 back 2 backs

You and me both.

Tough schedule may complete the tank.

cherylsteele
02-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I don't believe in tanking, those that want the Spurs to just tank aren't true fans IMO. That means they have given up, if they don't make the playoffs, so be it. Giving up is never the answer. I want 100% effort all the time from all players, that is what they payed for, not to tank a season. I would like to see Pop give more playing time to Ian and others. It would not surprise me to see someone blame the Detroit loss on Bonner or Finley.

cherylsteele
02-21-2010, 09:27 PM
That reloading process would've accelerated considerably had the FO "flipped" those expiring contracts for a talent upgrade. Swapping out players like Bonner, Finley and Mason in exchange for say, Thomas and Salmons. or even Brewer would've been an immediate and longer-term benefit.
What makes you think they didn't try that but were told no thanks?

Spurtacus
02-21-2010, 09:27 PM
I hated this thread initially. After back to back losses...maybe its time to give the young guys like Mahinmi and Hairston more playing time. We have young talent in Hill and Blair. Some argue they were the past two draft steals. We still have a shot at a top 10 pick next season. Would be nice for the rebuilding process. Not saying we should tank; but its clear that this team won't gel this season.

TJastal
02-21-2010, 09:33 PM

Spurs have 29 games left

17 are Road games
7 back 2 backs

Agreed there, Allanon. TT/Salmons were being shopped for weeks and Popabitch did nothing. Salmons would be hellava lot better than any of Bogans, Jefferson, or Mason as a starter. And Thomas would have really helped the rim protection.

SenorSpur
02-21-2010, 09:36 PM
What makes you think they didn't try that but were told no thanks?

I'm sure the probably tried. It doesn't matter to me the degree to which they tried. The bottom line is NOTHING got done. At the end of the day, was the talent level of the roster upgraded? No.

cherylsteele
02-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm sure the probably tried. It doesn't matter to me the degree to which they tried. The bottom line is NOTHING got done. At the end of the day, was the talent level of the roster upgraded? No.
So, if no one wanted to trade what would you propose they should have done to upgrade the roster?

SenorSpur
02-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I hated this thread initially. After back to back losses...maybe its time to give the young guys like Mahinmi and Hairston more playing time. We have young talent in Hill and Blair. Some argue they were the past two draft steals. We still have a shot at a top 10 pick next season. Would be nice for the rebuilding process. Not saying we should tank; but its clear that this team won't gel this season.

It's clear to me that Hill and Blair are 2 players providing some of the best energy of any players on the floor. Of course, Manu was sensational versus Detroit.

My point is I agree with you. Actually, it's past time to give the young players some burn. As someone pointed out in another thread, had Pop given Ian valuable playing time while Bonner was out, they would probably be seeing some significant contributions from him by now.

Now that the losses are mounting, it'll be interesting to see what Pop decides to do. Knowing him he'll continue to play the starters and his brand of "small ball" up to the 4th quarter of the 82nd game.

SenorSpur
02-21-2010, 09:48 PM
So, if no one wanted to trade what would you propose they should have done to upgrade the roster?

Personally, I don't buy that shit that "no one wanted to play ball" with the Spurs. I don't believe that GMs were in collusion and conspiringn against doing trades deals with the Spurs. RC has built up relationships with other GM trading partners in the past. He's leveraged those before.

Judging by the spare parts that other teams threw around to secure players in other trade scenarios, anything was possible. I question how committed they were to actually doing anything along those lines.

Like anything else, it's a bottom line business. All that matters is results.

objective
02-21-2010, 09:51 PM
though it's fun to joke about the lottery as a way to highlight how disappointing the Spurs are . . .

How likely is it that the Spurs make the lottery really?

If the teams below them maintain their current percentage, the Spurs would have to go like 12-16 the rest of the way for New Orleans to edge them out.

Unless Parker is hurt so much he's missing weeks and not days, I have to believe they'd still be more likely to make the playoffs than not.

ElNono
02-21-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm wondering if we're going to be out of the playoff picture by Wednesday...

HarlemHeat37
02-21-2010, 10:00 PM
The worst part is that Houston and New Orleans aren't consistent either, and those teams will have to win for the Spurs to miss the playoffs..

The worst thing that could still happen to top off this horrible season would be losing to the Lakers in the 1st round..I would rather just not have to see that shit..

ElNono
02-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Memphis still has a shot too...

objective
02-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Memphis still has a shot too...

yeah, but the guy they traded for to bring some much needed depth to their ridiculously shallow bench tore his hamstring his first game.

Their main guys are fatigued, and they'll be lucky to finish 41-41. Spurs would have to go 10-18 and lose tiebreakers.

SenorSpur
02-21-2010, 10:05 PM
The worst part is that Houston and New Orleans aren't consistent either, and those teams will have to win for the Spurs to miss the playoffs..

The worst thing that could still happen to top off this horrible season would be losing to the Lakers in the 1st round..I would rather just not have to see that shit..

Me either. That would be like sending a lamb to slaughter.

I don't want to see any more playoff series where the Spurs are overmatched. I'd rather take my chancesin the draft lottery.

ElNono
02-21-2010, 10:05 PM
yeah, but the guy they traded for to bring some much needed depth to their ridiculously shallow bench tore his hamstring his first game.

Their main guys are fatigued, and they'll be lucky to finish 41-41. Spurs would have to go 10-17 and lose tiebreakers.

Don't underestimate us this season... have you seen our remaining schedule?

ElNono
02-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Me either. That would be like sending a lamb to slaughter.

I don't want to see any more playoff series where the Spurs are overmatched. I'd rather take my chancesin the draft lottery.

Why? So we draft Kyprika Tapioca, and let him develop overseas and never see him again?... j/k :lol

objective
02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Don't underestimate us this season... have you seen our remaining schedule?

I've seen it, but even with Pop doing his bizarre lineups and rotations and players up and down the team being disappointments, it's still a really bad record they would have to have to miss the playoffs. I know the schedule is brutal, but I think they can sneak enough wins in there by grinding Tim, Tony and Manu's joints into dust to make it in.

Ultimately, the difference between being 9th in the west and 8th with the draft is the difference between 14 & 18. Not too big a difference now, and after the trades in the east, maybe the difference shrinks.

objective
02-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Why? So we draft Kyprika Tapioca, and let him develop overseas and never see him again?... j/k :lol

No, we draft Kyprika and stick him in a sportcoat straitjacket and don't pick up his option. :lol

Spurtacus
02-21-2010, 11:30 PM

I agree. I'd rather miss the playoffs then get knocked out in the first round by the Lakers.

Spurtacus
02-21-2010, 11:32 PM
How likely is it that the Spurs make the lottery really?
out.

Lottery consists of the teams who didn't make the playoffs. 14 teams total. We'd have a shot at a top 10 pick.

cherylsteele
02-22-2010, 12:49 AM
Who is Kyprika Tapioca?
I googled the name but nothing came up, or are you being sarcastic?

hsxvvd
02-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Pity Popovich is already on the bench... maybe he could take the remainder of the year off, take Tim and Tony on a wine tasting tour of France.... they can all come back energised and ready for a "farewell tour".

Hemotivo
02-22-2010, 01:11 AM
lol Kyprika Tapioca

ElNono
02-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Who is Kyprika Tapioca?
I googled the name but nothing came up, or are you being sarcastic?

http://smoothfewfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/facepalm2ly3.jpg

benefactor
02-22-2010, 08:39 AM
:lol

ElNono
02-22-2010, 08:48 AM
BTW, no knock on you cherylsteele. I just think it's hilarious that's actually plausible we're going for a foreigner nobody ever heard of.

dbestpro
02-22-2010, 08:55 AM
BTW, no knock on you cherylsteele. I just think it's hilarious that's actually plausible we're going for a foreigner nobody ever heard of.

Donatas Motiejunas

cherylsteele
02-22-2010, 12:49 PM
http://smoothfewfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/facepalm2ly3.jpg
So, you are giving me grief for trying to find out about an unknown player or what?

easy7
02-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Since this season sucks and the Spurs are like a fat, drunk, ugly mexican chick after hours at Noche Caliente and you want to take her home but are worried about what your buddies might say, I say tank the season.

kobyz
02-22-2010, 02:36 PM
if we can tank to get Evan Turner that will be great, i became a big fan of Turner and back court of Turner/Hill will be amazing, than we could trade Tony Parker for a PF and maybe also trade RJ who will have an expiring contract.
i like a trade of Parker for Josh Smith and a trade of RJ for Prince.
we would keep Ginobili to be our sixth man!
and this will be our team:
Turner/de Colo
Hill/Ginobili
Prince/Hairston
Smith/McDyess/Blair
Duncan/Splitter

Allanon
02-22-2010, 06:56 PM
The way I see it, Tim has a few years left. With no trades made at the deadline, it will be hard to win a championship this year.

Tank this year.
Get a Top 5 lotto pick that can help right away, no prospect shit
Get Splitter here
Reload the roleplayers, hold a gun to TP's head before he plays for the NT, re-sign Manu
Trade RJ for another $15 million player
Storm into the 2011 Playoffs

ElNono
02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
So, you are giving me grief for trying to find out about an unknown player or what?

anonoftheinternets
02-22-2010, 08:08 PM
The way I see it, Tim has a few years left. With no trades made at the deadline, it will be hard to win a championship this year.

Tank this year.
Get a Top 5 lotto pick that can help right away, no prospect shit
Get Splitter here
Reload the roleplayers, hold a gun to TP's head before he plays for the NT, re-sign Manu
Trade RJ for another $15 million player
Storm into the 2011 Playoffs

tat actually sounds pretty good. But .. too many ifs ....

Tank this year, no PO revenue, no holt support

Bad luck with pick, and honestly how many rookies perform well for their teams statistically, odds are pretty low ...

Splitter needs a buyout for that last year + one year to learn the system, means ....:p:

TP wants to be in HOF, im sure Manu being a lock in because of his international career has encouranged him in this aspect....

resign manu - not easy because of money issues, plus manu has implied he is not going to do the spurs any "favours" by taking less money on his final contract which is fair ....

trade Rj for another 15$ dollar player... already over luxury tax, lockout season looming ... need a 1 year rental trade ... not many fit the bill better than rj himself ....

but yea :flag: to the end ... lets see how it shapes up ....

AFBlue
02-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Apparently Pop is onboard with this...:bang

Seriously, I wish I could be geeked about how well Hairston and the rest of the Spurs' young core played, but all I can think about is how Pop essentially conceded defeat early in the second half.

The young guys got the score to single digits once mid-way through the 4th and then consistently down the stretch. Where the hell was Tim? Where the hell was Manu? Both seated comfortably on bench with the game well within reach...wtf!?!?

The Spurs are not in a position to essentially concede games. I'm not usually a critic, but I'm absolutely baffled by Pop's decision...or should I say, non-decision.

03-06-2010, 09:48 PM
bump.

mexicanjunior
03-06-2010, 10:30 PM
bump.

A little late for this now...