FvckMavs
02-18-2010, 06:41 PM
He is with the Spurs in Philly?

Spursmania
02-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Well, well. What say you Popovich?

ChumpDumper
02-18-2010, 06:42 PM
He is with the Spurs in Philly?Probably on his way.

Spursmania
Does Hairston tweet?

Libri
Does that mean that he has been called up?

hater
of course. lattif left a spot

doesn't mean anything though. Pop won't play him

bigdog
02-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Probably getting called up.

ChumpDumper
02-18-2010, 06:43 PM
As a result, The Toros are starting a larger lineup than the Spurs. :lol

Muser
02-18-2010, 06:44 PM
It'd be sweet if he gets some good minutes, won't happen but one can dream.

Spursmania
As a result, The Toros are running a larger frontlline than the Spurs. :lol

Damn:bang

HarlemHeat37
He was with the Spurs last night in Indiana too, but he does that pretty often when the Toros have a long break..

This sucks though, he's just going to be on the active roster and probably won't play until there's 2 minutes left in the game..I'd rather keep watching him in the D-league, the Toros are a lot more exciting to watch than the Spurs this season..

Is Big Bonner playing tonight, Chump?..

TD 21
02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
He was with the Spurs last night in Indiana too, but he does that pretty often when the Toros have a long break..

This sucks though, he's just going to be on the active roster and probably won't play until there's 2 minutes left in the game..I'd rather keep watching him in the D-league, the Toros are a lot more exciting to watch than the Spurs this season..

Is Big Bonner playing tonight, Chump?..

He'll probably be activated over Mahinmi, for one simple fact...he's 6-5 (in shoes that is; not the 6-6 he's listed) and Mahinmi is 6-11.

Bonner, at 6-8 - 6-9 is the new starting PF, Blair, at 6-6 is the backup C and the fifth big? None other than a combination of 6-7 Jefferson, 6-7 Finley, 6-5 Bogans and sometimes even 6-6 Ginobili. Mahinmi? He'll be the last resort.

If I'm Duncan, I'm fucking losing it on Pop and Buford today. This is beyond ridiculous.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Finley will get bought out and Hairston will be our new backup PF behind Jefferson.

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Don't they have to officially call him up in order for him to be able to play? I'm not sure what the point is in having him miss games for the Toros. After the 44 he put up Friday night maybe Pop thinks he can be the starting 4.

HarlemHeat37
02-18-2010, 06:52 PM
I have to say that even though I really want to see Malik get minutes, it would make a lot more sense if Ian was activated instead..meh..

ChumpDumper
02-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Don't they have to officially call him up in order for him to be able to play? I'm not sure what the point is in having him miss games for the Toros. After the 44 he put up Friday night maybe Pop thinks he can be the starting 4.The Toros are in LA. If he was called up. Malik has to fly across the country tonight.

ElNono
02-18-2010, 06:55 PM
If they called him up, it should show up in the NBDL league page. I also believe that if they did call him up they cannot send him back to the Toros anymore...

ChumpDumper
02-18-2010, 06:57 PM
If they called him up, it should show up in the NBDL league page.Not if it just happened.
I also believe that if they did call him up they cannot send him back to the Toros anymore...They can assign him one more time.

tav1
02-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Hairston is already with the team. He was in Indy last night.

ChumpDumper
02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Hairston is already with the team. He was in Indy last night.So maybe he was hanging around in case of a trade?

HarlemHeat37
02-18-2010, 07:10 PM
I think that's possible..I've seen him on the bench with the Spurs a few times this season when the Toros have a long layoff though, so maybe that's just what he usually does..

It wouldn't make sense in this case due to the travel, so maybe he's just going to get called up..

angelbelow
02-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Would be interesting to see him play but not sure if he'll play at all.

ChumpDumper
02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Digging the Squeaky vs. Wormley matchup.

Toros are horrible from the line these days.

tav1
02-18-2010, 07:13 PM
So maybe he was hanging around in case of a trade?

That's my guess. But he was traveling with the team, so I suspect "news" of his call up is imminent. And the Spurs could still buy out RMJ.

ChumpDumper
02-18-2010, 07:14 PM
That's my guess. But he was traveling with the team, so I suspect "news" of his call up is imminent. And the Spurs could still buy out RMJ.Right. A call up might depend on who leaves the team.

ChumpDumper
02-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Lucky to be down only 12 at the half.

Only Bonner can save us now.

jimo2305
02-18-2010, 07:33 PM
so i take it he msut be replacing ratliff's spot?

jjktkk
02-18-2010, 07:46 PM
That's my guess. But he was traveling with the team, so I suspect "news" of his call up is imminent. And the Spurs could still buy out RMJ.

Do you really think the Spurs will buy out Mason? That would really hurt their overall depth at the wing spot. IMO I don't see the Spurs doing that.

Bender
02-18-2010, 07:46 PM
^--- what's the "42" mean in your sig pic?

jjktkk
02-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Do any of you think that Hairston can work his way into the rotation in the 2nd half this season?

ElNono
02-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Do any of you think that Hairston can work his way into the rotation in the 2nd half this season?

We don't even know yet if he's been called up to the team...

Udokafan05
02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
When did Hairston become such a great player, and the Spurs savior. If he was that good he would have played by now.

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 07:59 PM
When did Hairston become such a great player, and the Spurs savior. If he was that good he would have played by now.

:lol

tdunk21
02-18-2010, 08:13 PM
of course. lattif left a spot

doesn't mean anything though. Pop won't play him

its ratliff jeez.....

exstatic
02-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Um, Spurs now have 13 players, the NBA minimum. They may call him up, but ain't nobody gettin' bought out.

poop
02-18-2010, 09:01 PM
im not even going to get my hopes up, id bet my two balls he doesnt get even 2 minutes in any game and will probably be back to the d-league within 10 days.
pop just likes to tease him.

itzsoweezee
02-18-2010, 09:02 PM

Yeah! What were you guys thinking? You think he's on the level of the great Matt Boner? Mike Finley? These guys get playing time because they're obviously amazing players. There's no way Hairston's on Mike Finley's level. Malik could never completely fold like Matt Boner does. He doesn't deserve playing time!

HarlemHeat37
02-18-2010, 09:13 PM
The theory that Hairston and Mahinmi don't get minutes because "if they were good enough, they would play" simply isn't true IMO..it doesn't make any sense at all..

I also hate when somebody makes a comment like "the savior"..nobody has said that..we recognize that there's a chance that Hairston won't even end up being the player we want him to be..

Sean Cagney
02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
GO YOUNGER, give this guy some mins and IAN too and try to save a season! Otherwise it is already lost because his rotations now are not working and they are not getting any younger. Develop talent for next year when others will be gone and if they come up big and you win more it's a bonus! What to lose now? This is not a title team, they are top 5 in the West at BEST.

I hope they call him up and play him some, Ian too since Theo is gone.

SenorSpur
02-18-2010, 10:16 PM
I have not been paying attention. Did the ratliff trade go through? In which case the Spurs are down to 13 players. Malik will likely travel with the team, maybe even suit up and be a just in case player.

I hope Finley is the odd man out and Pop uses Hairston against the athletic team we play tomorrow.

Yeah, it went through

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Akv2c6BXVTjXK_7MX970RqG8vLYF?slug=ys-spurstrade021810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

My Fault
02-18-2010, 10:33 PM

Its seems every d-league player is....

E-RockWill
02-18-2010, 10:51 PM
damn:bang

+1

Obstructed_View
02-19-2010, 12:08 AM
its ratliff jeez.....

*Whoosh* right past your head.

spurtech09
02-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Add Ian to the line up and give him some mins.....plzzzz pop plzzzzzz

timvp
02-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Hairston with the Spurs could mean a number of things:

-The Spurs told him to stick around for the end of the Rodeo Road Trip for camaraderie reasons. They've done similar in the past.

-The Spurs could have told him to stay close in case he's needed due to a trade at the deadline. This makes the most sense, IMO.

-Mahinmi, RMJ or Finley may soon be bought out -- thus Hairston will need to suit up.

-The Spurs think Hairston is ready to contribute on the NBA level. Trading Ratliff was meant to open up a roster spot for him.

I guess we'll soon find out the real reason.

Manufan909
02-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Finley will never be bought out, don't tease me timvp!!!

Pentagruel
02-19-2010, 12:50 AM
The theory that Hairston and Mahinmi don't get minutes because "if they were good enough, they would play" simply isn't true IMO..it doesn't make any sense at all..

I also hate when somebody makes a comment like "the savior"..nobody has said that..we recognize that there's a chance that Hairston won't even end up being the player we want him to be..

Why do you think this is not true? What have you seen from Mahimni and Hairston to suggest they are good enough to play in the NBA? I personally wouldn't mind to see them get some playing time so that I could assess whether they are worth having around or not but I highly doubt they will be a huge difference maker or else the coaching staff would have utilized them already. I don't understand why people think the Spurs' coaching staff are suddenly morons. The most logical reason is that Mahinmi and Hairston are simply not that good.

celldweller
02-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Hairston with the Spurs could mean a number of things:

-The Spurs told him to stick around for the end of the Rodeo Road Trip for camaraderie reasons. They've done similar in the past.

-The Spurs could have told him to stay close in case he's needed due to a trade at the deadline. This makes the most sense, IMO.

-Mahinmi, RMJ or Finley may soon be bought out -- thus Hairston will need to suit up.

-The Spurs think Hairston is ready to contribute on the NBA level. Trading Ratliff was meant to open up a roster spot for him.

I guess we'll soon find out the real reason.

The way this season has gone, anyone of them makes sense. My hope is to at least give the guy a chance. But sadly Pop is Pop - one stubborn old fart.

AFBlue
02-19-2010, 12:55 AM
My guess is that Pop plays Hairston over Mason as a punishment for publicly speaking out about frustration over fluctuation in minutes. I think we'll see that play out in Philly tomorrow.

Whether it's a long-term thing, I don't know...but that's just my guess.

Thompson
02-19-2010, 12:55 AM

Could Keith Bogans put up 44 in the D-League? Would he average 29.3 PPG, 4.6RPG and 3 AST per game on a +24 efficiency rating?

HarlemHeat37
02-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Why do you think this is not true? What have you seen from Mahimni and Hairston to suggest they are good enough to play in the NBA? I personally wouldn't mind to see them get some playing time so that I could assess whether they are worth having around or not but I highly doubt they will be a huge difference maker or else the coaching staff would have utilized them already. I don't understand why people think the Spurs' coaching staff are suddenly morons. The most logical reason is that Mahinmi and Hairston are simply not that good.

First of all, I acknowledge the fact that there's a solid chance that Hairston and Mahinmi won't be the players we want them to be for the Spurs..I've always said that..

This reason isn't valid though..

It has nothing to do with the intelligence of Pop's coaching, but it has everything to do with his style..as we've seen for A LONG TIME with Pop, he values experience more than he values raw talent/physical tools when it's in regards to players of this caliber..this isn't the first time this happens, that's just Pop's style(see: Stephen Jackson and George Hill)..

Hairston was significantly better than Bogans in preseason on both ends of the floor..this isn't debatable..not only was he better, but he's much more athletic and quick than Bogans, and he has better overall tools..he was good enough that the FO gave him a contract despite being in the luxury tax and having a full roster..he was good enough that they guaranteed his contract even without giving him any NBA time this season..

Ian was supposed to get big minutes last year, that was the plan, but he got hurt..there were reports here in the Summer with guys like McDyess talking about how good Ian looked in practice and how impressed he was since he had never heard of him..he played significant minutes in 1 game and had a solid game vs. Brook Lopez..

Your point of wanting to see Ian and Hairston so you can make an assessment is EXACTLY my point, which is what I've been saying..none of us know if they're good enough to be legit NBA players, but how would we find out if Pop doesn't give them a chance?..

It also sucks because even if they get a chance, they'll have a short leash..

Also, Keith Bogans and Michael Finley are no longer legit NBA players too, so those are the alternatives..

Boss
02-19-2010, 01:13 AM
ChumpDumper, How has Curtis Jerrells played this season? I always felt that he was an underrated player in college and could be a back up pg in the league. Do u see him getting a shot in the NBA or called up ever by the Spurs?

celldweller
02-19-2010, 01:43 AM
Could Keith Bogans put up 44 in the D-League? Would he average 29.3 PPG, 4.6RPG and 3 AST per game on a +24 efficiency rating?

Good point. My guess is Bogans would get cut in the D-League at this stage in his career.

Obstructed_View
02-19-2010, 02:19 PM
ChumpDumper, How has Curtis Jerrells played this season? I always felt that he was an underrated player in college and could be a back up pg in the league. Do u see him getting a shot in the NBA or called up ever by the Spurs?

I watched CJ a lot in college and he's not really a point guard. He can pass on the break but he can't run an offense, but he's great at getting into the paint and scoring in traffic. He's a streaky shooter with NBA range and when he's on he can hit any shot from anywhere on the floor, but that makes him kind of a chucker. I don't think he's going to be an effective catch and shoot guy in the NBA because he's got a slow release. He does most of his scoring off his own dribble like Roger Mason does.

I'm interested in CD's opinion too, though, because he's been able to see how much CJ's developed since he's been a Toro.

Chomag
02-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Pop wants him to keep Finely's seat warm. Nothing else to see here.

Chomag
02-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Good point. My guess is Bogans would get cut in the D-League at this stage in his career.

Allways thought of him this way. There is a reason why he couldn't stay on any NBA roster, and no one wanted him. Lucky for him he found a team with a coach that adores these type of vets ( un-athletic, and un-talented).

They man went from unwanted in the NBA too a starter getting major rotational minutes without really even earning it. It's all pretty crazy once you think about it. Oh well, good for him I guess...

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Malik is playing for the Toros tonight.

timtonymanu
02-19-2010, 10:19 PM
First of all, I acknowledge the fact that there's a solid chance that Hairston and Mahinmi won't be the players we want them to be for the Spurs..I've always said that..

This reason isn't valid though..

It has nothing to do with the intelligence of Pop's coaching, but it has everything to do with his style..as we've seen for A LONG TIME with Pop, he values experience more than he values raw talent/physical tools when it's in regards to players of this caliber..this isn't the first time this happens, that's just Pop's style(see: Stephen Jackson and George Hill)..

Hairston was significantly better than Bogans in preseason on both ends of the floor..this isn't debatable..not only was he better, but he's much more athletic and quick than Bogans, and he has better overall tools..he was good enough that the FO gave him a contract despite being in the luxury tax and having a full roster..he was good enough that they guaranteed his contract even without giving him any NBA time this season..

Ian was supposed to get big minutes last year, that was the plan, but he got hurt..there were reports here in the Summer with guys like McDyess talking about how good Ian looked in practice and how impressed he was since he had never heard of him..he played significant minutes in 1 game and had a solid game vs. Brook Lopez..

Your point of wanting to see Ian and Hairston so you can make an assessment is EXACTLY my point, which is what I've been saying..none of us know if they're good enough to be legit NBA players, but how would we find out if Pop doesn't give them a chance?..

It also sucks because even if they get a chance, they'll have a short leash..

Also, Keith Bogans and Michael Finley are no longer legit NBA players too, so those are the alternatives..

exactly. people arent expecting Ian and Malik to be the next Tim and Manu. But we're in a league where you need youth and athleticism to win now. Look at the top teams in the league right now. Atlanta, LA, Orlando, Denver. They all have athleticism of some kind. Pop thinks you can still win with experience. It's not the case anymore and he doesnt see it.

8FOR!3
02-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm about to the point to where I think bringing Robert Horry back and starting him at forward and Duncan at center is more beneficial than Bonner at center. Even if he is 60.

Obstructed_View
02-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Malik is playing for the Toros tonight.

He should be grateful to be on a team with heart and a big front line.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 10:23 PM
He should be grateful to be on a team with heart and a big front line.They went back to small ball.

Shastafarian
02-19-2010, 10:24 PM
They went back to small ball.

Malik at center?

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Malik at center?Jones at center and four guards to start. Sometimes five guards if they want to take an opposing big man out of the game.

Obstructed_View
02-19-2010, 10:29 PM
They went back to small ball.

Whoops, they must have gotten a memo from the home office.

Well, at least the Toros have heart. Wonder if there's a "tank" memo circulating? I guess we'll know when Hairston's minutes get cut in half.

Shastafarian
02-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Jones at center and four guards to start. Sometimes five guards if they want to take an opposing big man out of the game.

How's that workin out for them?

Obstructed_View
02-19-2010, 10:30 PM
BTW, Chump, question in post 57 for you.

timvp
Hairston needs to work on his guard skills. He's behind in development on that aspect of his game due to playing PF in college. So what do the Toros do? They play him at PF. Fantastic.

At least the entire organization is on the same page . . . . . . . . .

ChumpDumper
Whoops, they must have gotten a memo from the home office.Nah, they got Malik back. They have never had a power forward all season. [EDIT: Spoke too soon. Twin towers is back!]

, at least the Toros have heart. Wonder if there's a "tank" memo circulating? I guess we'll know when Hairston's minutes get cut in half.There is no advantage to tanking in the D-League.

Shastafarian
02-19-2010, 10:32 PM
There is no advantage to tanking in the D-League.

That's what you think! Muwahahahaha

- :pop:

Obstructed_View
02-19-2010, 10:33 PM
There is no advantage to tanking in the D-League.

I just meant the Spurs might tell them to do it to keep the big team from looking bad.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 10:35 PM
I just meant the Spurs might tell them to do it to keep the big team from looking bad.No one would know if he did make them look bad.

Shastafarian
02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
This Bonner kid any good?

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 10:37 PM
This Bonner kid any good?Hasn't played yet, but I'll go ahead and say no.

Obstructed_View
02-19-2010, 10:37 PM
No one would know if he did make them look bad.

The Toros give a lot more effort than the Spurs do these days.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 10:38 PM
The Toros give a lot more effort than the Spurs do these days.Nobody knows that. It's the D-League.

Shastafarian
02-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Hasn't played yet, but I'll go ahead and say no.

I just looked up his career highs. Looks like his career high in points was 15. High in rebounds was 11. And he's 7'1. :lol

Obstructed_View
02-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Nobody knows that. It's the D-League.

Nobody knows that because nobody's watching the D-League, you mean.

Obstructed_View
02-19-2010, 10:55 PM
So you're not going to answer the question about CJ?

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 11:02 PM
So you're not going to answer the question about CJ?Still learning the point. Isn't great at directing players yet. Getting better and finding the open man on drives. Doesn't turn the ball over that much. Uneven defense against quality opposition. My favorite one-on-one move of his is the jab step, step back jumper.

HarlemHeat37
02-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Hairston needs to work on his guard skills. He's behind in development on that aspect of his game due to playing PF in college. So what do the Toros do? They play him at PF. Fantastic.

At least the entire organization is on the same page . . . . . . . . .

That obviously sucks, but thankfully he has spent a lot of time working from the perimeter this season..he has significantly improved his ball handling and passing from last year IMO(his 2 main flaws as a player), based on what we've seen in SL/preseason/D-league this year..obviously he still has ways to go, which is what should be expected from a project player that the Spurs probably expect to be a role player, obviously not a star..

There's nothing to lose at this point..give him a few months of real NBA game time..if he shows some potential and progress, the Spurs have a cheap rotation player for next season and beyond..if he doesn't show enough potential, don't give him the guaranteed money next year..

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 11:23 PM
I think Hairston gets all the time on the perimeter he needs. The "PF" spot has been rotating between Justin Bowen, Eddie Basden and David McClure most of the time, with Gee and Hairston playing there at times. The last couple of games they have used the two center frontline; easy to do tonight as Bakersfield is now the tallest team in the D-League.

Hairston is paired up with Blake Ahearn or Reece Gaines in the second half.

HarlemHeat37
02-19-2010, 11:31 PM
What do you think about Gee, CD?..potential NBA guy in the future?..

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 11:37 PM
What do you think about Gee, CD?..potential NBA guy in the future?..Ballhog. Works against Bakersfield when he's 10-13, but needs more than one dimension to his game. Outside shooting, handling, defense -- if he adds any one of those to his game, he'll probably be in the NBA. He should still be able to get to the line a lot if he moves up; he's got an NBA body and physicality.