PDA

View Full Version : Filing Taxes, which tax service do you use?

RashoFan
02-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I am thinking about using a tax service like H&R Block for filing taxes. Who do you use and would you use them again? Are you able to get advice from them on what to save for next years taxes?
Thanks in advance for any advice, recommedations and input.
RF

BTW, hi everyone...: )

CosmicCowboy
02-18-2010, 07:00 PM
My daughter used HR Block and was very satisfied. I use a full blown CPA but mine is a little more complicated than the average bear.

panic giraffe
02-18-2010, 07:29 PM
any of the ones joe stack didn't use.

next question.

MLewis
02-18-2010, 08:14 PM
We have used TurboTax, H&R Block online and Taxslayer. All give us the same results when/if we compare them. The online services are typically cheaper and quicker to use and good enough unless your taxes are very complicated ie you own a small business. Right now we use either taxslayer or H&R Block online because they are both free for military. We got our tax return back today.

JoeChalupa
02-18-2010, 09:02 PM
We've used TurboTax the past several years but we tried H&R Block but they told us to file separate and then wanted me to file single? We both claimed M-02 so didn't have enough taxes taken out. Sucks.

King
02-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I have a CPA now, but I've used TurboTax in the past.

florige
02-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I have used H&R Block the last 3 years. Very satisfied.

Dex
02-18-2010, 10:50 PM
I highly don't recommend Southwest Airlines.

ashbeeigh
02-19-2010, 12:21 AM
I have used H&R Block the last 3 years. Very satisfied.

After I told you that you can do it all yourself and you went and paid someone this year? I could kick your ass.

I know RashoFan probably does need someone to do her taxes because she has some extra credits and rebates to take care of. If you don't have anything beyond EITC and W2s there is no reason to pay anyone to do your taxes. You can always e-file for free.....unless you find out your 1099 is from freelancing and then TurboTax tells you they'll charge you to file the self employment forms :bang

RashoFan
02-19-2010, 12:28 AM
I do have the new home buyer tax credit plus I also a couple of other things.
Sounds like H&R Block is not a bad option. For those of y'all that have used them, are they helpful with questions/advice. I would like to know what I need to start saving as far as reciepts and such for next year.

B-Hath
02-19-2010, 01:54 AM
I've used H&R Block's free TaxCut program for years. Works great!

TDMVPDPOY
02-19-2010, 04:20 AM
who told you clowns to disclose...

spurster
02-19-2010, 10:36 AM
The IRS free fillable forms are cool:

http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=201897,00.html

However, it doesn't do all the calculations for you.

101A
02-19-2010, 11:12 AM
I am thinking about using a tax service like H&R Block for filing taxes. Who do you use and would you use them again? Are you able to get advice from them on what to save for next years taxes?
Thanks in advance for any advice, recommedations and input.
RF

BTW, hi everyone...: )

Get TurboTax - it is simple; and less expensive than hiring someone else; literally just fill in the blanks.

I've got three kids - investments, a pretty long list of deductions/charitable giving, etc...and it takes about 2 hours from start to (free) e-file.

I used to use an accountant; this is much cheaper, and actually takes me less time.

Sportcamper
02-19-2010, 11:29 AM
I have a simple tax return & use H&R block…The trick is to find out who the manager or most requested tax preparer is…The lady that does my taxes researches with the IRS every year…She knows the tax codes inside & out…There are other tax preparers at this H&R block office but most customers wait for the manager to do their tax returns…

florige
02-19-2010, 01:30 PM
After I told you that you can do it all yourself and you went and paid someone this year? I could kick your ass.

I know RashoFan probably does need someone to do her taxes because she has some extra credits and rebates to take care of. If you don't have anything beyond EITC and W2s there is no reason to pay anyone to do your taxes. You can always e-file for free.....unless you find out your 1099 is from freelancing and then TurboTax tells you they'll charge you to file the self employment forms :bang

:lol Well I had a little more complicated stuff to go through than just filing myself. I filed HoH this year because I had my grandmother staying with me for the better part of the year because she was sick. She didn't file her SS, so I just put her down on mine. Wasn't sure how that worked so I just went to H&R.

Sounds like H&R Block is not a bad option. For those of y'all that have used them, are they helpful with questions/advice. I would like to know what I need to start saving as far as reciepts and such for next year.

The lady I go to is very helpful and quick too. I filed mine last week and I already got both my refunds back. My federal got deposited today. Fastest that has ever happened.

ashbeeigh
02-19-2010, 02:29 PM
:lol Well I had a little more complicated stuff to go through than just filing myself. I filed HoH this year because I had my grandmother staying with me for the better part of the year because she was sick. She didn't file her SS, so I just put her down on mine. Wasn't sure how that worked so I just went to H&R.

Dios mio. It's people like you that make them so much money!

florige
02-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Dios mio. It's people like you that make them so much money!

$185 she charged me for like 5 minutes if even. It sucks even more when you have to pay them and you still find out you owe.

DannyT
02-19-2010, 07:34 PM

hows your new house? got any pictures? also I was told I had to mail my return in this year because of the housing credit, did youu get the same feedback? Joe, why dont you claim zero, so youu dont have to owe? or at most one?

ploto
02-19-2010, 07:55 PM
If your income is under a certain level you can use Turbo Tax (and some others) for free.

ashbeeigh
02-19-2010, 08:48 PM
$185 she charged me for like 5 minutes if even. It sucks even more when you have to pay them and you still find out you owe.

Ugh. So sorry. Did you just end up claiming Hoh...her as a dependent and not getting anything back for your grandmother's SSI? Because I probably could have told you that.

If your income is under a certain level you can use Turbo Tax (and some others) for free.

You can use most for free no matter what your income is. They start charging when you need to do extra forms (like self employment).

If you make less than 55,000 and you live in San Antonio you can always go to a VITA site. The press that WOAI gave them is a load of crap. There's nothing wrong with what they are doing. They have some sites on the northside now too, one at Cody library one at Maverick library and one at the De Zavala goodwill.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-19-2010, 08:56 PM
I use the free online tax services and do it myself.

benefactor
02-19-2010, 09:51 PM
H&R for at least the past 6 or 7 years. No problems.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-19-2010, 09:52 PM
How much does H&R charge?

benefactor
02-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I think it was sixty or seventy bucks. Worth it for me...because I don't understand a damn bit of it no matter how many times it gets explained to me.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah for someone like me you're talking up to 30% of my return

makes no sense

I have a few issues that make it trickier than someone with just their employer's slip, but I'll just have to gather all my forms and take it slow as hell via online free tax software.

florige
02-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Ugh. So sorry. Did you just end up claiming Hoh...her as a dependent and not getting anything back for your grandmother's SSI? Because I probably could have told you that.

You can use most for free no matter what your income is. They start charging when you need to do extra forms (like self employment).

If you make less than 55,000 and you live in San Antonio you can always go to a VITA site. The press that WOAI gave them is a load of crap. There's nothing wrong with what they are doing. They have some sites on the northside now too, one at Cody library one at Maverick library and one at the De Zavala goodwill.

Nah I didn't owe anything. I actually got back the most I ever have. I was just saying that in years past when I used to get separate bonus's at the dept that were separate from my paycheck I used to always wind up oweing.

florige
02-19-2010, 10:22 PM
How much does H&R charge?

It depends on how much crap you have to get done with them. If you are just filing single with no dependents prob around $100. I had a few separate forms to fill out by me carrying a dependant and filing HoH thats why mine was $185.

RashoFan
02-20-2010, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback and advice everyone.
Danny T, the house is great and I am now a dog owner, it is nice to have a backyard for her to play in. Half of the homes on my cul de sac have been built and I have really nice neighbors!