PDA

View Full Version : Rockets almost had Amare as well

djohn2oo8
02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
I wonder who really refused this deal

Just filed to ESPN.com: Houston indeed the team that engaged in 11th-hour discussions with Suns on Amare deal. New link/details forthcoming

One source told ESPN.com's J.A. Adande that the Rockets -- fresh off constructing a three-team blockbuster that sent Tracy McGrady to New York and landed Kevin Martin in Houston -- offered veterans Shane Battier and Luis Scola, multiple draft picks and the expiring contract of Brian Cook for Stoudemire. But the source said Phoenix wanted to waive the requisite physical examinations for the players involved to make sure the trade went through in time, only for Houston to refuse because of Stoudemire's injury history.

Yet another source with knowledge of the talks disputed that account, telling ESPN.com that the Suns initiated the conversation by asking for Battier, Scola and draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4924306

jacobdrj
02-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Why did they want to buy picks if they were just going to go around and sell them? Oh, wait, the Suns probably just wanted to get the picks to turn around and then sell them...

:facepalm

Lars
02-18-2010, 11:46 PM
I read that Phoenix called up Houston and asked for Scola/Battier but were rejected.

sribb43
02-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Suns would have been fools to trade him in conference

ShoogarBear
02-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Houston should have offered to throw in Hakeem. Sarver might have gone for that.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Suns would have been fools to trade him in conference

That in conference thing is overrated. It's not like they'd be competing with teams in the conference if they traded Amare.

noob cake
02-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Oh well; we'll get A'mare another day

Kai
02-19-2010, 12:12 AM
From ESPN:

"One source told ESPN.com's J.A. Adande that the Rockets -- fresh off constructing a three-team blockbuster that sent Tracy McGrady to New York and landed Kevin Martin in Houston -- offered veterans Shane Battier and Luis Scola, multiple draft picks and the expiring contract of Brian Cook for Stoudemire. But the source said Phoenix wanted to waive the requisite physical examinations for the players involved to make sure the trade went through in time, only for Houston to refuse because of Stoudemire's injury history."

Rogue
02-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Cavs got raped in losing their future Hall of Famer for a No-D springer. at least I agree with most of you that this trade is biased and almost a robbery.

Jace
02-19-2010, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't do that trade anyway, Scola/Battier are solid players for the future

Amare was a one and done with Houston

baseline bum
02-19-2010, 01:24 AM
From ESPN:

"One source told ESPN.com's J.A. Adande that the Rockets -- fresh off constructing a three-team blockbuster that sent Tracy McGrady to New York and landed Kevin Martin in Houston -- offered veterans Shane Battier and Luis Scola, multiple draft picks and the expiring contract of Brian Cook for Stoudemire. But the source said Phoenix wanted to waive the requisite physical examinations for the players involved to make sure the trade went through in time, only for Houston to refuse because of Stoudemire's injury history."

That doesn't make any sense. The physicals are usually done the day after the trade has been completed. What a bullshit excuse from Phoenix.

Xylus
02-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Battier, Scola, multiple draft picks, and Cook's expiring?

I love Amare, but I do that deal.

Kai
02-19-2010, 02:43 AM
Battier, Scola, multiple draft picks, and Cook's expiring?

I love Amare, but I do that deal.

I would imagine we will explore this option again in the offseason. Morey tried to get Amare last year, and he's usually pretty persistant. We wanted Artest two years ago and got him last year. We wanted Kevin Martin last year, and got him this year. We want Amare this year, so maybe history will repeat himself. The deal breaker was probably us not wanting to take a chance that he walks in a couple months.