PDA

View Full Version : Rasheed Wallace aka: The Prophet

pensive
02-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Remember when so many of us thought that the Spurs were targeting Rasheed as their big-man signing, and eventually we lost him to Boston? Well, remember when Rasheed was asked why he didn't sign with us, and he said something to the effect of how he was not too impressed with our offseason moves and that there were some changes that were made that he didn't necessarily agree with? I remember at the time many of us here at ST were pretty livid and bewildered that he would say such a thing about our beloved Spurs...guess Rasheed isn't so crazy after all, huh?
Anyways, this is just a random thought as I am here watching the Lakers-Celtics and how things COULD have been different had we signed Wallace--or, maybe they wouldn't be--who knows? Just thought I would throw it out there on this day where anticipation was at a high, and like a balloon pierced with a needle, deflated oh so quickly. Regardless, as much as I DON'T agree with how this team is being coached and managed right now, I still love my Spurs and now we can only hope against hope that they somehow turn it around. SPAM? Probably not, but as of now, I would be OK with a hard fought playoff series win and then we will see...until then, Go, Spurs, Go!

ElNono
02-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Boston is pretty much in the same boat as we are... The difference is that they still play some semblance of defense some nights, and they have the best shooter in history of the NBA... (:lol)

lefty
02-18-2010, 11:48 PM
http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/lexielex/K45r6V3mXKd6TDUMBUqokvuVxKeA59AKYVxTfd0R4lGru78zFn PlWcCpV4io/Cool_story_bro.jpeg

ace3g
02-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Rasheed is basically a taller Robert Horry now, just not as cluch. If he played his back to the basket more and rebounded better, I would feel worse about not getting Rasheed.

Dice is starting to improve more and more, even though against the Pacers he didn't play well, Pop went with that odd ball starting lineup the night before the trade deadline so lets see what Pop does the rest of the season

timtonymanu
02-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Dice > Sheed for the Spurs.

pensive
02-18-2010, 11:55 PM
I have heard that position before about how the Celtics and Spurs are in the same position, but I don't agree. I think that even if the Celtics were in the more competitive Western Conference, they would still have more wins than we do now. Yes, I realize that they didn't have to integrate many new players like we did, but they have an added fire that still sets them on the same level--or near to it--as the Lakers, Cavs and Magic.

HarlemHeat37
02-18-2010, 11:56 PM
McDyess looks a lot better than Wallace right now..

As elnono said, the Celtics are exactly like the Spurs right now..they've lost all their confidence, they look even older than the Spurs..they're slightly better because they actually consistently play their big men together, but they have sucked for weeks now..

They're playing a lot worse than the Spurs right now though..Boston was looking really good to start year, then the injuries started to kick in due to mileage, and now they look horrible..

TD 21
02-19-2010, 12:57 AM
McDyess looks a lot better than Wallace right now..

As elnono said, the Celtics are exactly like the Spurs right now..they've lost all their confidence, they look even older than the Spurs..they're slightly better because they actually consistently play their big men together, but they have sucked for weeks now..

They're playing a lot worse than the Spurs right now though..Boston was looking really good to start year, then the injuries started to kick in due to mileage, and now they look horrible..

Who does that remind you of (specifically)? I've been saying it for weeks and it seems no one has caught on: they're the 07-08 Spurs all over again. The Spurs were coming off a championship (granted, Celtics weren't, but they were clearly championship caliber, health permitting, the year previous), started that season 17-4 and looked worse and worse as the year wore on, stumbling to the finish line, somehow put together one last run in the playoffs, based more on experience, guts, heart, guile, etc. (whatever you want to call it) and then bowed out. While we didn't know it then, the signs were clearly there: this group was done. The Spurs saving grace was that, if healthy, their core was still championship caliber; I don't think the Celtics' is. The 09-10 Celtics are just like the 07-08 Spurs, right down to the strong starts and the blowing double digit second half leads.

timvp
02-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Unfortunately, what we are seeing now is why I advocated Rasheed over McDyess. While McDyess is the better player, Rasheed fits more of the style of player Pop likes. Rasheed being able to hoist threes can stretch the defense, plus his better basketball IQ would allow him to be in the right spots defensively more often.

Yeah, Rasheed has sucked this year but if he were on the Spurs, he'd be starting right now. He fits that Horry role that Pop is still searching for ... which has led to starting Bonner.

If the Spurs could somehow swap McDyess for Wallace, I'd do it. Wallace, as I feared, is much of the type of player Pop actually enjoys putting on the court.

:pctoss

02-19-2010, 01:09 AM
he didn't do much better by going to the celtics. they suffer the same problem as the spurs. their core is aging and there's no fix for that.

EricB
02-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Your freaking crazy, Wallace is horrible and McDyess is the far better player.

Pop just needs to wake the F up and play Dyess more thats all.

ElNono
02-19-2010, 01:21 AM

Hear.. Hear!!!

Booharv
02-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Remember when so many of us thought that the Spurs were targeting Rasheed as their big-man signing, and eventually we lost him to Boston? Well, remember when Rasheed was asked why he didn't sign with us, and he said something to the effect of how he was not too impressed with our offseason moves and that there were some changes that were made that he didn't necessarily agree with? I remember at the time many of us here at ST were pretty livid and bewildered that he would say such a thing about our beloved Spurs...guess Rasheed isn't so crazy after all, huh?

Don't you get it? That was just Sheed being a raging homophobe.

FeZZy
02-19-2010, 01:23 AM
:lmao

timvp
02-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Your freaking crazy, Wallace is horrible and McDyess is the far better player.

Pop isn't going to change his stripes. He wants floor spacing on the court at end of games. McDyess' jumper doesn't space the floor enough for Pop's liking.

IMO, Pop would feel comfortable starting and finishing games with Wallace. Obviously, that isn't the case with McDyess. Instead, we just see small ball. Even this bloated, slow version of Wallace is much more of a Pop-friendly than McDyess will ever be.

Unfortunately.

admiralsnackbar
02-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Pop isn't going to change his stripes. He wants floor spacing on the court at end of games. McDyess' jumper doesn't space the floor enough for Pop's liking.

IMO, Pop would feel comfortable starting and finishing games with Wallace. Obviously, that isn't the case with McDyess. Instead, we just see small ball. Even this bloated, slow version of Wallace is much more of a Pop-friendly than McDyess will ever be.

Unfortunately.

Then maybe we should count our blessings. Dice came cheaper than Wallace, brings no drama, and plays as he's urged to. Given our problems all over the floor, we certainly wouldn't be a quantifiably better team with him, would we?

If we're losers this season, at least we don't have to be saddled with Wallace's BS.

Capt Bringdown
02-19-2010, 05:14 AM
Rasheed or Dice, pick your poison. Both players are beyond the point of making a significant contribution to anyone's title run. Spot minutes perhaps.

02-19-2010, 05:21 AM
if rasheed was really smart, he wouldn't have joined the celtics' sinking ship either. cavs or nuggets would have been better choices.

My Fault
02-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Didn't he also say the Celtics would win 72 games...

Cane
02-19-2010, 10:39 AM
In hindsight, Wallace did us a favor since he's having a pretty bad season himself; arguably much worse than McDyess, Bonner, and Blair. Not only that, he leads the league in technicals which I'm sure would've drove the Spurs and their fans to be even crazier than they are now especially in close games.

However having both Bonner and Wallace could allow for some pretty crazy three-point shooting lineups; then again Wallace is averaging a shitty .291% from long distance.

hater
02-19-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree with most.

If Sheed would have signed instead of Dice. We would be in a much worse situation, probably out of the playoffs and Sheed would be facing jailtime for trying to choke Pop during a game.

alchemist
02-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Boston is in the same position San Antonio is right now. Giving up double digit leads every game, struggling to get wins. Only difference is that Boston is struggling while having a big frontline :wow, while the Spurs get smoked with small ball.

Leetonidas
02-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Wallace is fucking terrible this year, who the fuck cares what he says. He would've made us older, slower, and worse. Thank the Big Bang that chode didn't sign here, fuck that lazy out of shape fat ass.

trypldubl
02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Like timvp said, Rasheed is a player like Horry that Pop was searching for on offense. On defense, he would have played better help defense than anyone on this team and he would have brought the Horry swagger that this team always needs.

However, his 3 year contract would have been a terrible signing and his techs would have drove Pop crazy.