PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Mason will stay with Spurs; Ratliff to Bobcats

duncan228
02-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Mason will stay with Spurs; Ratliff to Bobcats (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mason_will_stay_with_Spurs_Ratliff_to_Bobcats.html )
Jeff McDonald

PHILADELPHIA — The NBA trade deadline came and went Thursday afternoon, with Roger Mason Jr. unable to see his fondest wish granted. When the sun set in Philadelphia, Mason was still a member of the Spurs.

As far as consolation prizes go, it was none too shabby.

“I meant it when I said I wanted to finish my career in San Antonio,” said Mason, who nevertheless had informed the Spurs earlier in the week he wouldn't mind being traded to a team that could give him more minutes. “I love the guys on this team, and I've fallen in love with the city. I plan to live here when I retire.”

A free agent this summer, Mason might not yet end up being a Spur for life. With the Spurs unable to move him before the clock struck 3 p.m. in New York on Thursday, he remains a Spur for now.

The Spurs did consummate one minor trade in advance of the deadline, barely beating the clock to deal 12th man Theo Ratliff to Charlotte for a future second-round pick and luxury-tax relief. As far as landscape-altering NBA swaps go, it fell several notches shy of the 2008 blockbuster that shipped Pau Gasol from Memphis to the Lakers.

When the Spurs hit the floor tonight in Philadelphia, they will be much the same team, personnel-wise, that has both teased and confounded this season, going 31-21 to begin Thursday tied for fifth in the West with the Thunder.

Thursday made it official. The Spurs are who they are going forward. Over the final 30 regular-season games, they hope to be who they are, but better.

“We got what we got,” Spurs captain Tim Duncan said. “We'll roll with that, and either we'll figure it out, or we won't.”

The Spurs harbor no delusions about their status in the NBA pecking order. They are not in the same class at the Lakers in the West, or Cleveland in the East.

If they are going to get there — which was the goal when team chairman Peter Holt committed to an $80 million payroll in the offseason — the answers must be found within the walls of their own locker room.

They will need Richard Jefferson to be the slam-dunk addition everybody thought he would be when the Spurs traded for him in June. He showed signs in Wednesday's win at Indiana, scoring 13 points, grabbing six rebounds and providing a collection of hustle plays off the bench.

They will need their Big Three of Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker to reconvene at an elite level.

And they will need to press fast-forward on the ongoing chemistry project, the meshing of new players with old, that has consumed far too much of the season already.

“We're still confident we can continue to get better,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “Thirty games is a lot of games.”

Just because the Spurs didn't significantly change their roster doesn't mean there won't be other alterations to come.

“(Popovich) is going to make some changes internally, lineup-wise, play-calling-wise and everything else to get us to turn that corner,” Duncan said.

In Indiana, Popovich started his 17th unique lineup, replacing Antonio McDyess with Matt Bonner at center and Jefferson with Keith Bogans at small forward.

This is the fivesome he plans to use going forward. Popovich said his bench rotation will begin to take on an air of permanence over the final 30 games as well.

“There's no more time for re-evaluation,” Popovich said. “We've got to get solid with who we have and how we're using them.”

Now that the trade deadline has come and gone, that includes Mason. A Spur for now, he remains committed to the team, even after urging the front office to shop him.

“I don't want to cause a ruckus,” Mason said. “I want to do my part to help this team win.”

NBA deadline deals

Notable acquisitions Thursday:

Bobcats: Tyrus Thomas, forward (from Bulls); Theo Ratliff, center (from Spurs)
Bucks: John Salmons, guard? (from Bulls)
Celtics: Nate Robinson, guard (from Knicks)
Grizzlies: Ronnie Brewer, guard (from Jazz)
Knicks: Tracy McGrady, guard/forward (from Rockets)
Rockets: Kevin Martin, guard (from Kings)

ElNono
02-19-2010, 01:26 AM
“I meant it when I said I wanted to finish my career in San Antonio,” said Mason, who nevertheless had informed the Spurs earlier in the week he wouldn't mind being traded to a team that could give him more minutes. “I love the guys on this team, and I've fallen in love with the city. I plan to live here when I retire.”

http://ethicsoup.typepad.com/.a/6a00e554e81be388340120a58210a4970c-320wi

EricB
02-19-2010, 01:27 AM
“(Popovich) is going to make some changes internally, lineup-wise, play-calling-wise and everything else to get us to turn that corner,” Duncan said.

Strange quote.

timvp
02-19-2010, 01:27 AM
This is the fivesome he plans to use going forward.

:smchode:

ElNono
02-19-2010, 01:29 AM
“We're still confident we can continue to get better,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “Thirty games is a lot of games.”

Just because the Spurs didn't significantly change their roster doesn't mean there won't be other alterations to come.

Interesting. I wonder if Tim talked to Pop about the 'changes'...

ElNono
02-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Strange quote.

Yeah... stands out...

EricB
I think Pop has concluded Dyess and Blair are better off the bench, therefore he's left with Bonner.

I guess, fuck if I know.

Spursmania
In Indiana, Popovich started his 17th unique lineup, replacing Antonio McDyess with Matt Bonner at center and Jefferson with Keith Bogans at small forward.

This is the fivesome he plans to use going forward.

:bang

EricB
02-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Interesting. I wonder if Tim talked to Pop about the 'changes'...

Duncan I gaurantee has alot of say over moves and who should play and who doesn't.

Duncan is a HUGE HUGE Finley lover, which is why I always laugh when people say "Duncans gotta be pissed everytime Finley is out there"

Shoot Duncan might have an equal mancrush on Finley as Pop does.

Although if there was a mancrush its not much of one as Finley played as many minutes as I did.

timtonymanu
02-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Parker-Hill-Bogans-Duncan-Bonner

OMG worse than last year's starting lineup.

EricB
02-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Parker-Hill-Bogans-Duncan-Bonner

OMG worse than last year's starting lineup.

Hill being in there instead of Finley makes it better.

ElNono
02-19-2010, 01:33 AM
“There's no more time for re-evaluation,” Popovich said. “We've got to get solid with who we have and how we're using them.”

IOW, I'm going to keep on playing small ball until we flame out... :(

EricB
02-19-2010, 01:34 AM
IOW, I'm going to keep on playing small ball until we flame out... :(

:lol

How the hell do you interpret that?

ElNono
02-19-2010, 01:35 AM
:lol

How the hell do you interpret that?

Well, "we have to get solid with what we have and how we use them"...

To me that sounds like "We have to get solid playing RJ at PF"...

ShoogarBear
02-19-2010, 01:35 AM
:smchode:

What the hell. At least it's some kind of plan.

ElNono
02-19-2010, 01:37 AM
Or "we have to get solid with Bonner starting"
Or "we have to get solid with Bogans being our perimeter stopper"
Or "we have to get solid with Dice playing 7 minutes if the other scrub team plays small ball"

You get the gist...

SenorSpur
02-19-2010, 01:39 AM
This is bullshit. Judging from the fact the Memphis was most certainly in the market for a shooting guard, the Spurs could've and should've at least pursued a Mason trade with them. Judging from what Utah was able to do, the Spurs could've flipped Mason's exprinig contract into an asset and at least all would not have been lost.

Instead, Utah took advantage of the situation.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64865/20100218/jazz_trade_brewer_to_memphis_for_1st_round_pick/

Utah Jazz general manager Kevin O’Connor announced today that the team has acquired a future first-round pick from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for guard Ronnie Brewer. Following the trade, the Jazz roster now stands at 12 players. “We would like to thank Ronnie for his contributions over these past three-plus seasons,” said general manager Kevin O’Connor. “We felt that this was the right move for the future of the Jazz organization at this time, and we wish Ronnie the best of luck in the future.”

ElNono
02-19-2010, 01:39 AM
And BTW... I think it's kinda odd that Pop is sorta saying that we need to stay the course with what we have and the way we've been doing, while Tim talks about Pop making changes...

DesignatedT
02-19-2010, 01:42 AM
man i can see pop wanting to try and move RJ to the bench for bogans but i see no reason whatsoever to move dyess back to the bench after how well hes been playing of late.

Tony
Hill
Bogans :rolleyes
Duncan
Dyess

Manu
RJ
Blair
Bonner
Mason

is what it should be IMO, if hes stuck on Bogans.. in that order as well.

DesignatedT
02-19-2010, 01:44 AM
pop has gone into this "people play better off the bench" theory that he wont let go of.... It worked back with Manu for all those years... we would have our 4 starters "start" and manu would come in and close with them... acting as the 5th starter.....

now what are we going to do???? we start and end games with a totally different lineup? lmao

Budkin
02-19-2010, 01:48 AM
Damn we're going to have to play catchup right off the bat then in every damn game left... the Pacers started blowing us out as soon as we started that piss poor lineup.

J_Paco
02-19-2010, 01:51 AM
So, Pop's answer to all our defensive issues is to play a 6'2" combo guard at SG, a 6'5'' below average player at SF and a guy who can neither defend the paint nor rebound at PF? God, this guy has lost his fuckin' marbles..

:depressed:depressed

What the hell happened to winning with defense? This team is basically a middle of the pack team, why see if Hairston and Ian can change things for a game or two? Instead, the coach believes that a ultra-small starting line-up will help this team win....

Good grief, we've become the fucking Golden State Warriors and Pop is doing his best Nellie-ball impression.........

TDMVPDPOY
02-19-2010, 01:51 AM
lol this team is going nowhere, seriously i hope we dont make the playoffs

Spursmania
02-19-2010, 01:53 AM
I have lost a lot of respect for Pop this past year.

ulosturedge
02-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Looks like we are going to start these last 30 games from behind then. Sounds great...

:idiot

raspsa
02-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Anyone know how many ex-Spurs call SA home?

Mr. Body
02-19-2010, 01:59 AM
Stealth mode to drop into the lottery. CIA Pop!

TD 21
02-19-2010, 01:59 AM
This is the fivesome he plans to use going forward. Popovich said his bench rotation will begin to take on an air of permanence over the final 30 games as well.

I don't buy this for a second. You can only go so long playing an undersized, under-talented lineup such as this and expect to be successful. The next time this team plays a credible opponent and get's embarrassed (we won't have to wait too long for this inevitability) and goes on one of their recently patented three game slides or loses four of six, he'll inevitably reinsert Jefferson and probably McDyess into the starting lineup.

Who has their second and third best bigs and at minimum two or their three best wings not in their starting lineup? It's ludicrous. The man is starting two players not in the top eight on the team in terms of talent.

Does he have have any recollection of what used to work? I get that he's trying to make Bogans this teams Bowen (even though it's never going to happen, they're both technically known as defenders, despite the fact that Bogans is nowhere near even close to being in Bowen's class).

But Bonner? What is the obsession with the "stretch four"? Yeah, the Spurs have always had one or two, but off the bench. Never before have they had one starting next to Duncan consistently (save for Bonner last season), yet here he is, pretending as if Duncan has to have a shooter next to him. As if that's more important than having a solid defender and a presence on the boards next to him. It's baffling. This is what passes for getting Duncan more help in the paint? Even though they're undersized and aren't rim protectors, McDyess and Blair are by far the second and third best bigs on the team and one rarely plays with Duncan, the other no longer does at all.

EricB
02-19-2010, 02:16 AM
This is bullshit. Judging from the fact the Memphis was most certainly in the market for a shooting guard, the Spurs could've and should've at least pursued a Mason trade with them. Judging from what Utah was able to do, the Spurs could've flipped Mason's exprinig contract into an asset and at least all would not have been lost.

Instead, Utah took advantage of the situation.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64865/20100218/jazz_trade_brewer_to_memphis_for_1st_round_pick/

Utah Jazz general manager Kevin O’Connor announced today that the team has acquired a future first-round pick from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for guard Ronnie Brewer. Following the trade, the Jazz roster now stands at 12 players. “We would like to thank Ronnie for his contributions over these past three-plus seasons,” said general manager Kevin O’Connor. “We felt that this was the right move for the future of the Jazz organization at this time, and we wish Ronnie the best of luck in the future.”

Link to where the Spurs DIDN'T?

SenorSpur
02-19-2010, 02:18 AM

Go look for it your damn self.

SenorSpur
02-19-2010, 02:18 AM

Go look for it your damn self.

Front office apologist.

objective
02-19-2010, 04:51 AM
McDonald on the Bogner lineup : This is the fivesome he plans to use going forward.

Tim Duncan : “(Popovich) is going to make some changes internally, lineup-wise, play-calling-wise and everything else to get us to turn that corner,”

Pop : “There's no more time for re-evaluation,” Popovich said. “We've got to get solid with who we have and how we're using them.”

wait . . . whaaa . . . ?

McDonald : This is the fivesome ... going forward.

Duncan : “(Popovich) is going to make some changes internally, lineup-wise . . . ”

Pop : “There's no more time for re-evaluation . . . We've got to get solid with who we have and how we're using them.”

huh . . . ?

fivesome ... going forward.

“changes internally, lineup-wise”

“no more time for re-evaluation . . . solid with who we have and how we're using them.”

uhhh . . . so . . . we're going forward with the lineup we have, we're getting solid with the backups because there's no more time for re-evaluation . . . but we're also making changes internally, line-up wise?

*cue homer simpson's brain saying "That's it, I'm outta here." followed by footsteps and the sound of a slamming door

mystargtr34
02-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Maybe Pop throws Mahinmi out there thinking he has no other option.

benefactor
02-19-2010, 06:34 AM
:lol objective.

mingus
02-19-2010, 07:34 AM
i don't like the idea of Jefferson srarting off on the bench. the same problem is going to happen where he just stands around and isn't involved when Manu isos.

this should be our starting lineup:

TP
RMJ
RJ
Bonner/McDyess
TD

having Bonner and RMJ in there would make it easier to run an iso play for RJ and get him involved early on. there's plenty of penetrate and kick out for 3 potential with that lineup. i think RMJ should start. last year the guy was lights out when he was playing sg before pop messed him up. he's streaky, no question, but when he's on he can change the tide of a game in a hurry. we've seen it before, i'd like to see him get as much of a chance to do it this year as Bogans has at being complete shit.

another reason i think it would work is because RMJ is a mentally tough and vocal player and i think that fits with RJ's more subdued personality. George Hill has proved to be a good player but he doesn't have the fire that RMJ has, and Bogans is that plus he sucks ass.

i guess what i'm trying to get at is that the Spurs need someone to step up and be the guy Bruce was. not in the sense of his skillet or abilities, but his demeanor and leadership. no one on that team is doing that right now. that's why the team is so damn inconsistent. there's no floor general. as good as Duncan is, he never was one. Parker isn't, and Ginobili isn't. all those guys lead by example, but that isn't reliable because the game changes; teams go through cold spells. it's when that happens that this team starts to suck, and it's usually in 4th quarter. remember, it was Bowen who huddled everyone together and yelled at everyone to keep there heads in the game and keep playing together. he was the floor leader. no one is doing that right now. i'm not sure anyone can. the only guy that can be that guy, and i think the only guy that has the personality to do that is RMJ; but Pop has him on the bench. i thought Mcdyess could be that guy, but maybe not. i think it being his first year, or maybe i just thought wrong and he's really subdued, he's not stepping up.

anyway, this team needs a floor leader. that's the only thing keeping them from winning a championship right now imo, as crazy as it sounds. Bruce was the ultimate glue guy, and right now this team is falling apart, esp late in games, and they let it get away from them.

someone needs to step the fuck up and be the floor leader.

TJastal
02-19-2010, 07:40 AM
i don't like the idea of Jefferson srarting off on the bench. the same problem is going to happen where he just stands around and isn't involved when Manu isos.

this should be our starting lineup:

TP
RMJ
RJ
Bonner/McDyess
TD

having Bonner and RMJ in there would make it easier to run an iso play for RJ and get him involved early on. there's plenty of penetrate and kick out for 3 potential with that lineup. i think RMJ should start. last year the guy was lights out when he was playing sg before pop messed him up. he's streaky, no question, but when he's on he can change the tide of a game in a hurry. we've seen it before, i'd like to see him get as much of a chance to do it this year as Bogans has at being complete shit.

another reason i think it would work is because RMJ is a mentally tough and vocal player and i think that fits with RJ's more subdued personality. George Hill has proved to be a good player but he doesn't have the fire that RMJ has, and Bogans is that plus he sucks ass.

i guess what i'm trying to get at is that the Spurs need someone to step up and be the guy Bruce was. not in the sense of his skillet or abilities, but his demeanor and leadership. no one on that team is doing that right now. that's why the team is so damn inconsistent. there's no floor general. as good as Duncan is, he never was one. Parker isn't, and Ginobili isn't. all those guys lead by example, but that isn't reliable because the game changes; teams go through cold spells. it's when that happens that this team starts to suck, and it's usually in 4th quarter. remember, it was Bowen who huddled everyone together and yelled at everyone to keep there heads in the game and keep playing together. he was the floor leader. no one is doing that right now. i'm not sure anyone can. the only guy that can be that guy, and i think the only guy that has the personality to do that is RMJ; but Pop has him on the bench. i thought Mcdyess could be that guy, but maybe not. i think it being his first year, or maybe i just thought wrong and he's really subdued, he's not stepping up.

anyway, this team needs a floor leader. that's the only thing keeping them from winning a championship right now imo, as crazy as it sounds. Bruce was the ultimate glue guy, and right now this team is falling apart, esp late in games, and they let it get away from them.

someone needs to step the fuck up and be the floor leader.

Good point about the team needing a vocal player to do a little coaching out on the floor (Pop needs all the help he can get), but I don't think RMJ is that type of player, I've always seen him as a soft spoken carry a big stick type.

mingus
02-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Good point about the team needing a vocal player to do a little coaching out on the floor (Pop needs all the help he can get), but I don't think RMJ is that type of player, I've always seen him as a soft spoken carry a big stick type.

you might be right, but i think he's the only guy i can imagine be that type of guy. it might be a stretch, but you can't even "stretch" for anyone else. Blair, Bonner, Hill, Bogans, RJ aren't going to do it.

this team is just so mentally weak right now. they fall when things start to get slippery. Bowen kept the guys in check.

TJastal
02-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Mingus, I agree for the most part about Jefferson.

I think it's a bit late in the year to change RJ's role (the guy is having a hard enough time as is) and having the 3 pt shooters would help that aspect (penetrate and kick). Especially since TP isn't 100%, we need RJ in the starting lineup to give the team an additional penetrator.

We can only hope the current lineup fails so badly Pop is forced to change it back.

The Truth #6
02-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Stealth mode to drop into the lottery. CIA Pop!

But we are going to do it with hustle and integrity.

mingus
02-19-2010, 07:49 AM
hate to bring it up, but this is where S-Jax would have been a perfect fit for this team instead of RJ, despite the fact that he is already better in terms of skillset. you need guys like Bowen and S-Jax to win championships.

mingus
02-19-2010, 07:53 AM
it's funny how Pop said in an interview earlier in the season that RJ was basically S-Jax without the drama, or something to that effect. it's just an asinine statement.

vanvannen
02-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Is it too crazy to go all out on these 30 games left and just put the best players out there from the start in order to get some chemistry going?
I would go with:

TP
Manu
RJ
TD
Dyce or Blair

Also, I would have them play 30+ minutes, I understand the risk (especially with Manu) but if they don't get it together now, there is no point in having everyone rested come playoff time and loose in the first round.

easy7
02-19-2010, 08:15 AM
The ledge is on standby as we speak....We just became the Dallas Cowboys of the NBA. Seems that we will be happy to get past the first round this season.

ducks
02-19-2010, 09:29 AM
it really does not matter who starts to a certain extent
booner started but played 12 minutes
it really is the matter of how many minutes people get

the first quarter has not been the problem 3 and 4 have

SpurNation
02-19-2010, 09:42 AM
It's the Cold Envelope/Heavy Ball strategy. :hat

timvp
02-19-2010, 09:52 AM
wait . . . whaaa . . . ?

huh . . . ?

uhhh . . . so . . . we're going forward with the lineup we have, we're getting solid with the backups because there's no more time for re-evaluation . . . but we're also making changes internally, line-up wise?

*cue homer simpson's brain saying "That's it, I'm outta here." followed by footsteps and the sound of a slamming door

I'm pretty sure TD's quote used in this article was from before the All-Star break :)

ohmwrecker
02-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm pretty sure TD's quote used in this article was from before the All-Star break :)

Nope. Post-game interview in Indiana.

Trimble87
02-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Agreed completely.

Xevious
02-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Then why start them? I can't figure out why Pop starts Bogans, Bonner, Dice, etc and only plays them 10-15 minutes. How many teams do that?

I've always been fine with Manu coming in off the bench, but I'm starting to think they just need to start the lineup that will also be closing out games - which should be Tony, Manu, RJ, Tim, Dice/Blair. Hill can play the sixth man role and close out certain games based on matchups, performances, etc (but keep two bigs on the floor dammit!). The starters need to play 30+ minutes each and get some chemistry out there. Come playoff time the rotation will be trimmed to about 8 people anyway. We need those players on the court together as much as possible.

LOL@MavsFan
02-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Well I guess los Spurs are who we thought they were.

timvp
02-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Nope. Post-game interview in Indiana.

Then I can't explain the lunacy :depressed

Chomag
02-19-2010, 10:13 AM
IS this the least talented starting 5 spurs have had since the TD Ara? I think it could even compete with some of the DRob Ara teams.:lol

ohmwrecker
02-19-2010, 10:25 AM
If Ian is now the de facto 12th man, then Bogans and Bonner should be 11 & 12. Nowhere near the starting line-up. I think it's obvious the starting line-up should be Tony, Sparky, RJ, McDyess & Timmy. Manu runs the offense off the bench with tons of P&R with Blair and RMJ, Boner & Bruce Bogans spotting up on the perimeter. Manu is the best facilitator on the team.
I do agree with the posters on ST that say we are missing the "glue guy" this year. This is what has always bothered me about Timmy. He has absolutely no KG in him. I'm not talking about the chest pounding, F-bomb dropping, make your teammates cry stuff, but he could be a little more demonstrative on court. These guys look flat and uninterested at times and Timmy should crawl up their asses a little bit.

Russ
02-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I bet Bonner will not be starting on April 4 in LA against the Lakers.

Parker2112
02-19-2010, 12:28 PM

...“There's no more time for re-evaluation,” Popovich said. “We've got to get solid with who we have and how we're using them.”

Pop you read my open letter, (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147037) didn't you?:rollin

And everybody said it couldn't happen...

Thanks again, Timmy! :toast

Parker2112
02-19-2010, 12:34 PM
IMHO, what has worked for this team this season on offense is ball movement and less playcalling. I hope Pop goes to this down the stretch.

Ball movement has helped guys like Dice, Blair, and RJ. It will help RMJ and Bonner going forward.

I think the offense needs to run like this. I think Tony needs to limit his playcalling in the half court, and just get the ball moving. If the opportunity is there for any of our guys let them take it, including Tony. I think Manu has shown the light as far as getting new faces integrated. Fuck a pick and roll.

As for defense, your guess is as good as mine.

Wildcat67
02-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Are you all freaking retards?

Why so upset about who is starting and who isn't?

OH NOES we have Bonner and Bogans on the floor for the first 5 minutes of the game instead of the 2nd 5 minutes!!! OH NOES!!!

What's it matter who starts the game. They won't be playing heavy minutes and it provides better combinations of players later in the game.

WOW you're all REALLY DUMB.

Parker2112
02-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Are you all freaking retards?

Why so upset about who is starting and who isn't?

OH NOES we have Bonner and Bogans on the floor for the first 5 minutes of the game instead of the 2nd 5 minutes!!! OH NOES!!!

What's it matter who starts the game. They won't be playing heavy minutes and it provides better combinations of players later in the game.

WOW you're all REALLY DUMB.

You'll go over really well here, wildcat! Welcome!

tlongII
02-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Ratliff got traded for a future 2nd rounder and luxury tax relief???

:lmao

He must be the equivalent of a walking corpse.

Spurs Brazil
02-19-2010, 01:43 PM
LUDDEN ANALYSIS: After trying to ship out Richard Jefferson(notes) and exploring trade options for both Antonio McDyess(notes) and Roger Mason(notes), the latter of whom told the San Antonio Express-News he wanted to remain a Spur for the rest of his career, then, four days later, had his agent issue a public trade request, the Spurs settled for a simple salary dump to knock a few dollars off their luxury-tax bill. In the process, Ratliff gets to reunite with his old coach Larry Brown.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArerBr9vawNmlbEmLNgFI8K8vLYF?slug=ys-nba_trade_deadline_2010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

YoMamaIsCallin
02-19-2010, 02:12 PM
pop has gone into this "people play better off the bench" theory that he wont let go of.... It worked back with Manu for all those years... we would have our 4 starters "start" and manu would come in and close with them... acting as the 5th starter.....

now what are we going to do???? we start and end games with a totally different lineup? lmao

Hey it worked with Indiana. The bench kicked ass and Jefferson seemed to be jump-started.

Flux451
02-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Sounds like Pop is dead set on Spurs not making the playoffs.

phxspurfan
02-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Alright Bonner!

objective
02-19-2010, 05:42 PM
LUDDEN ANALYSIS: After trying to ship out Richard Jefferson(notes) and exploring trade options for both Antonio McDyess(notes) and Roger Mason(notes), the latter of whom told the San Antonio Express-News he wanted to remain a Spur for the rest of his career, then, four days later, had his agent issue a public trade request, the Spurs settled for a simple salary dump to knock a few dollars off their luxury-tax bill. In the process, Ratliff gets to reunite with his old coach Larry Brown.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArerBr9vawNmlbEmLNgFI8K8vLYF?slug=ys-nba_trade_deadline_2010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Glad to see Ludden's still with Yahoo

ShoogarBear
02-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Ratliff got traded for a future 2nd rounder and luxury tax relief???

:lmao

He must be the equivalent of a walking corpse.

He's still on track for a better career than Oden.