PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio lands UFL team

Pages : [1] 2

Buddy Holly
02-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Sometimes all signs point in a certain direction. Or directions.

For the United Football League’s 2010 season, all roads are heading to San Antonio, Texas and Omaha, Nebraska.

Thanks to an anonymous Jan. 20th tipster and related chatter picked up at Access, we are ready to reveal the UFL’s two expansion teams as San Antonio and Omaha. These two franchises have been chosen over Portland, Oregon and Salt Lake City, Utah.

http://www.sametrodaily.com/2010/02/according-to-ufl-blog-site-ufl-will.html

timvp
02-19-2010, 02:07 AM
That's the closest San Antonio will come to an NFL team in the next thirty years.

cherylsteele
02-19-2010, 02:20 AM
According the UFL website they say Hartford got an expansion team. Neither Omaha or San Antonio are mentioned.

bresilhac
02-19-2010, 02:25 AM
What a goddamned, fucking disgrace. San Antonio should be getting an NFL team not some half-baked, minor league bunch of bullshit. This so-called league won't last a season and will only serve to disappoint anybody that gets involved with it.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 02:38 AM
I think it already lasted a season.

scottspurs
02-19-2010, 03:40 AM
you have to start somewhere. Maybe one day the Nfl will come to SA.

FkLA
02-19-2010, 05:39 AM
Fuck that. UTSA football starts next yr, wait for that and show the NFL that we can support a football team. We dont need no more minor league BS teams.

fyatuk
02-19-2010, 08:57 AM
http://www.sametrodaily.com/2010/02/according-to-ufl-blog-site-ufl-will.html

I'm surprised someone posted that here. Most of the UFL threads on here have been started by me ;)

I think it already lasted a season.

They played their premiere season this past fall, with the Las Vegas Locos beating the previously undefeated Florida Tuskers in the championship game the day after Thanksgiving. A multitude of players from the UFL were signed to NFL rosters or practice squads as soon as the season ended.

I watched almost all the games, and the quality of play (well, except for the NY team) was definitely very good. The teams were well-coached (Fassell, Haslett, and Denny "They are who we thought they were!" Green coached three of the 4 teams).

According the UFL website they say Hartford got an expansion team. Neither Omaha or San Antonio are mentioned.

The Hartford team is a relocation of the New York franchise that will be rebranded, not an expansion team. Palmer has signed on to coach the Hartford franchise.

Expansion teams have not been announced. This is basically like calling an election when only a small percentage of the votes are in. It just seems clear who's going to win.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UFLAccess is a good site for picking up UFL news and discussion if you're interested. Our co-founder, Nation Hahn, was recently hired by the UFL as Director of Digital Media (IIRC the title correctly), and we've sometimes been allowed to publish their press releases before other media outlets.

The next season for the UFL should be bigger and better in every way.

Dr. Gonzo
02-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Fuck that. UTSA football starts next yr, wait for that and show the NFL that we can support a football team. We dont need no more minor league BS teams.

I'd rather support minor league pro football than a minor league college football team.

Kori Ellis
02-19-2010, 10:19 AM
I heard San Antonio was getting a team in this league (http://www.lflus.com/).

;)

Will Hunting
02-19-2010, 10:19 AM

:lmao utsa is supposed to be a major league team?

lol FkLA
lol UTSA

JudynTX
02-19-2010, 10:39 AM

;)

:lol

Let me know when the 1st game is. :sleep

Libri
02-19-2010, 12:10 PM
San Antonio had an opportunity to get a team. Red McCombs was working to make a deal but Mayor Ed Garza didn't support the idea. :(

samikeyp
02-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Another entry into the Graveyard of Pro Football wannabe leagues.

:depressed

fyatuk
02-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Another entry into the Graveyard of Pro Football wannabe leagues.

:depressed

This league seems to be put together a lot better than past attempts. And they are getting high quality people invovled, even while telling them the league is going to lose money.

They managed to get 11k average in Florida, and about a 14k average in Vegas with pretty much zero marketing or publicity. Their 1st year losses ($30 million) were in line with expectations, and they are planning on losing money again this year.

Chances are they'll end up on the scrap heap, but don't write them off just yet.

LakerHater
02-19-2010, 04:59 PM

;)
I'd buy tix 2 see this!! http://db.funformobile.com/images/smiles/surprised.gif (javascript:emoticon('form_text',':-o'))

Dr. Gonzo
02-19-2010, 05:03 PM
This league seems to be put together a lot better than past attempts. And they are getting high quality people invovled, even while telling them the league is going to lose money.

They managed to get 11k average in Florida, and about a 14k average in Vegas with pretty much zero marketing or publicity. Their 1st year losses ($30 million) were in line with expectations, and they are planning on losing money again this year.

Chances are they'll end up on the scrap heap, but don't write them off just yet.

An NFL lockout will help them a bit as well but I don't think this is a long lasting league.

fyatuk
02-19-2010, 05:22 PM
An NFL lockout will help them a bit as well but I don't think this is a long lasting league.

I doubt it as well, but I think they have a shot. Doesn't matter to me, though. I'll enjoy watching live professional football again ;)

CubanMustGo
02-19-2010, 05:29 PM
If SA does get a UFL team, please, please, PLEASE hire someone with a clue to design the logo. SA has had enough sad high-school quality logos for its teams already.

cherylsteele
02-19-2010, 07:54 PM
The Hartford team is a relocation of the New York franchise that will be rebranded, not an expansion team. Palmer has signed on to coach the Hartford franchise.

Expansion teams have not been announced. This is basically like calling an election when only a small percentage of the votes are in. It just seems clear who's going to win.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UFLAccess is a good site for picking up UFL news and discussion if you're interested. Our co-founder, Nation Hahn, was recently hired by the UFL as Director of Digital Media (IIRC the title correctly), and we've sometimes been allowed to publish their press releases before other media outlets.

The next season for the UFL should be bigger and better in every way.
I missread that at first I guess, Hartford is a relocation of the NY team, my bad.

I would not mind a UFL team at all.

They seem to be better organized than othe start-up leagues of the past.

fyatuk
02-19-2010, 09:17 PM
If SA does get a UFL team, please, please, PLEASE hire someone with a clue to design the logo. SA has had enough sad high-school quality logos for its teams already.

The UFL has worked with Landor Enterprises on their own logo. Landor has worked for the NFL, including the branding for Superbowl 43.

Team logos for the first 4 teams were created by Ron Caruso and Purepartner. Purepartner also has done work for Microsoft, Food Network, Chicago Bears, City of New York, etc.

Doesn't mean it won't come out high schoolish, but it's promising.

samikeyp
02-20-2010, 12:04 AM

I hope I am wrong but I can only go on 30 years of history. If the team works out...that would be great and I am pulling for that to happen. :toast

fyatuk
02-20-2010, 08:04 AM
If you want it to happen, buy season tickets when they go on sale in April (provided us getting a team is correct). They should only be about $100 for the full 5 game home schedule. I plan on getting 3 tickets.

You can also check out UFL gear at http://www.getufl.com. There's some pretty interesting items.

Games will be shown on Versus, and we think HD Net is back, and a third network will be added. All games will also be webcast from the ufl website (http://www.ufl-football.com).

You can still watch this past season if you want to see the quality of play they had (http://www.ufl-football.com/schedule). Just click on Video on Demand for any of the games.

jack sommerset
02-20-2010, 10:55 AM
That's great news for the city of San Antonio. For those locals upset, you really need to accept what your city represents. Enjoy the games.

LakerHater
02-20-2010, 10:26 PM
So these UFL unis are all the same, even that stripe on the top of the helmet, except the colors and the logo on the side of the helmet!?

bresilhac
02-21-2010, 12:42 AM
That's great news for the city of San Antonio. For those locals upset, you really need to accept what your city represents. Enjoy the games.

Go to Hell.

lebomb
02-21-2010, 09:48 AM
I would not attend a single UFL game. I cant stand half assed leagues...........its the NFL or forget it.

fyatuk
02-21-2010, 10:16 AM
So these UFL unis are all the same, even that stripe on the top of the helmet, except the colors and the logo on the side of the helmet!?

It was for the first season. The uniforms were designed before the teams were branded, and the uniforms were meant to reinforce the league's brand over the individual teams. Starting this year, teams can design their own uniforms, and the theory is that all teams will have new uniforms, and the premiere seasons will be used as throwbacks in the future.

fyatuk
02-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I would not attend a single UFL game. I cant stand half assed leagues...........its the NFL or forget it.

That's your choice, but football is football and it's unlikely the NFL will ever be in San Antonio in your lifetime.

bresilhac
02-21-2010, 11:32 AM
That's your choice, but football is football and it's unlikely the NFL will ever be in San Antonio in your lifetime.

What makes you say that fyatuk? I believe the NFL will be in San Antonio within five years. Once a CBA is finally worked out to the satisfaction of both sides I'm fairly certain the city will get a team. Why? Because San Antonio as it now exists is more than capable of supporting an NFL club by any set of standards and will only grow more increasingly capable.

bresilhac
02-21-2010, 11:37 AM

I totally agree. San Antonio football fans are as deserving of NFL football as any other set of fans that are now enjoying having their very own team to support. And no, the Cowboys or Texans do not qualify as being "our" team.

spursncowboys
02-21-2010, 12:51 PM
NFL will never come to SA. For one there is no market for it. Two, SA is too poor. We would never support a failing team for a minimum three years.

Buddy Holly
02-21-2010, 01:37 PM
NFL will never come to SA. For one there is no market for it.

Two, SA is too poor.

The same old false stereotype/perception aka weak ass hyperbole bs.

The Bizjournal did a study recently that showed SA had the economics to support an NFL team.

We would never support a failing team for a minimum three years.

Dude, the Rampage get enough support to stay in business, the Silver Stars who sucked for most of their time here sans the last three seasons have support.

If you honestly think SA wouldn't support an NFL team whether they're struggling or winning, you're off your damn rocker.

PublicOption
02-21-2010, 01:49 PM
nicknames

San Antonio Wishfulthinkers
Dallas Cowboys Bitches
San Antonio Wannabes
The Jerry Jones Territory

fyatuk
02-21-2010, 01:51 PM
What makes you say that fyatuk? I believe the NFL will be in San Antonio within five years. Once a CBA is finally worked out to the satisfaction of both sides I'm fairly certain the city will get a team. Why? Because San Antonio as it now exists is more than capable of supporting an NFL club by any set of standards and will only grow more increasingly capable.

Has nothing to do with our capability of supporting a team. I agree that we could support an NFL team tremendously well, but that's irrelevant.

The NFL is finacially driven by it's TV contract. Team placement, at least for expansion (and they'll influence any relocators to fit in it as well), will be heavily determined by "where adds value to our broadcast deals."

San Antonio is the 37th largest TV market, and already gives the NFL higher ratings than many home markets. There is ZERO benefit to the TV contract to put a team in San Antonio. The NFL would be better served putting a team in Monterrey or the RGV than in San Antonio because that would draw more interest from Mexico.

With as heavily revenue shared as the NFL is, it's not so much about where the fan support is, but where they can get new money (TV viewers, merchandise sales, etc) into the shared pool. And SA doesn't bring new money, it'll just change the direction of money that already exists in the NFL pockets.

If the NFL comes to SA in my lifetime it is because 1) They started falling apart financially and needed a stable market more than expanding revenue, or 2) a league like the UFL started making a dent in their fanbase and they needed to either squash or merge with it.

cherylsteele
02-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Kinda like UTSA and the Southland conference huh?

NFL will never come to SA. For one there is no market for it. Two, SA is too poor. We would never support a failing team for a minimum three years.
What makes you think there is no market for the NFL? Where do get this info from and from what year, 1980? The media market in san Antonio is bigger than the following NFL cities per Nielsen http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/markets/market2.cgi:
New Orleans
Buffalo
Jacksonville
Green Bay
If you think about it, Oakland and San Fransisco divides their market between 2 teams, so you could divide than down somewhat, which makes their ranking with the NFL a bit askewed.
This league seems to be different than other new leagues of the past. The biggest thing IMHO is that they aren't trying to compete directly with the NFL, which may have hurt other upstart leagues in the past.

We have already supported a team that failed for 3 years, from 1985-1989, the Spurs pretty much failed and are still here.

spursncowboys
02-21-2010, 07:48 PM

The same old false stereotype/perception aka weak ass hyperbole bs.

The Bizjournal did a study recently that showed SA had the economics to support an NFL team.

Dude, the Rampage get enough support to stay in business, the Silver Stars who sucked for most of their time here sans the last three seasons have support.

If you honestly think SA wouldn't support an NFL team whether they're struggling or winning, you're off your damn rocker.
Our record of not support sports franchises are pretty high.
I don't know what the minimum amount for a ticket in the NFL, but let's say it is $80 that is too much lettuce for the avg SA. There is no way you are getting 100,000 SA/Austin ppl for 7 games a year. Even if you can do that, there is still no way any businessman would do it.
If we did get a businessman who's location was worse than SA's economy then why not LA. Why would they pick SA?
I would love to see NFL in SA, but it will not happen. NFL is not expanding anymore and no one will relocate here. Our best bet were locals being loyal to their city but McCombs sold the Vikings and Benson will be dead before they will be able to move the Saints.

spursncowboys
02-21-2010, 07:55 PM

What makes you think there is no market for the NFL? Where do get this info from and from what year, 1980? The media market in san Antonio is bigger than the following NFL cities per Nielsen http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/markets/market2.cgi:
New Orleans
Buffalo
Jacksonville
Green Bay
If you think about it, Oakland and San Fransisco divides their market between 2 teams, so you could divide than down somewhat, which makes their ranking with the NFL a bit askewed.
This league seems to be different than other new leagues of the past. The biggest thing IMHO is that they aren't trying to compete directly with the NFL, which may have hurt other upstart leagues in the past.

We have already supported a team that failed for 3 years, from 1985-1989, the Spurs pretty much failed and are still here.
We have America's team north. Then to the East is Texans. South of us is Mexico which there is absolutely no market for American football. The west has nothing with value and probably would stay cowboys territory. Then you have one of the lowest cost of living in america -SA.
The Spurs have been the most successful franchise and they still have to keep ticket prices low. Spurs ticket prices are one of the lowest in the league.

Dr. Gonzo
02-21-2010, 09:06 PM

What do you mean? According to the UTSA assholes they will be in the Big 12.

Buddy Holly
02-21-2010, 11:03 PM

Of the back your handle preculdes me to believe you're a very biased fellow when it comes to this subject.

I don't know what the minimum amount for a ticket in the NFL, but let's say it is $80 that is too much lettuce for the avg SA.

It's about 75 dollars per game. The average NBA game is 45 dollars a game. Considering there are 41 home games in the NBA and only 8 in the NFL, you'd have to be mental to believe an NFL game ticket was too much. Kid, if Jacksonville, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Charlotte, St. Louis, etc can get people to pay for NFL tickets, SA can.

There is no way you are getting 100,000 SA/Austin ppl for 7 games a year.

100,000? 7 games? Where the hell are you getting these numbers from?

The NFL has 8 home games, the average attendance is 68,000 and the highest average in attendance went to the Cowboys at 89,700. So I have to ask you again, where the hell are you pulling these numbers from?

Even if you can do that, there is still no way any businessman would do it.

I'd love for you to articulate this statement, please. :lol

If we did get a businessman who's location was worse than SA's economy then why not LA. Why would they pick SA?

What? Seriously kid, are you 12?

I would love to see NFL in SA, but it will not happen. NFL is not expanding anymore and no one will relocate here.

How original.

Our best bet were locals being loyal to their city but McCombs sold the Vikings and Benson will be dead before they will be able to move the Saints.

When Benson dies the team goes to his daughter. His daughter lives where? San Antonio. She was the one pushing for the Saints to relocate here in 2005 not so much her father.

Buddy Holly
02-21-2010, 11:11 PM
We have America's team north. Then to the East is Texans. South of us is Mexico which there is absolutely no market for American football. The west has nothing with value and probably would stay cowboys territory. Then you have one of the lowest cost of living in america -SA.

You're so lame for stilling calling them America's team. Seriously, do you suck on a Jerry Jones branded dildo at night as well?

The Spurs have been the most successful franchise and they still have to keep ticket prices low. Spurs ticket prices are one of the lowest in the league.

The Cavs with Lebron James average $50 a ticket.

The Mavs with Cuban's billions and "America's team" average $59 dollars a ticket.

Heck, the Chicago Bulls in the third largest metro in the US average $66 dollars.

Would you like to know what the Spurs average per ticket? $68 dollars.

So I guess the lesson is you shouldn't be on a message board talking about stuff you don't know and I don't know stay awake during your school classes. Knowledge is power you know.

Spurtacus
02-21-2010, 11:47 PM
I wish Austin would get a professional team (other than baseball).

cherylsteele
02-22-2010, 12:39 AM
I don't know what the minimum amount for a ticket in the NFL, but let's say it is $80 that is too much lettuce for the avg SA. There is no way you are getting 100,000 SA/Austin ppl for 7 games a year. Even if you can do that, there is still no way any businessman would do it.
I would love to see NFL in SA, but it will not happen. NFL is not expanding anymore and no one will relocate here. Our best bet were locals being loyal to their city but McCombs sold the Vikings and Benson will be dead before they will be able to move the Saints.
100,000 people at a game? What current NFL stadium even has that capacity, besides teams currently they play 8 games a year at home. You don't lnow ticket prices yet just throw a number out there. I do agree the NFL probably won't expand anymore, but teams can move and will move in the future, you can't rule out San Antonio getting a relocated team in the future. Actually San Antonio's economy is better off than most in the country. LA had there chancees to have a team(s) but lost it to Houston, they have had 2 teams and lost both of them. So, the Saints and vikings are the only ones who may move in the future, speculation has been made of the Jaguars, and I think the Seahawks mentioned it at one time, and who knows what teams may do in the future.

You are going to use the other leagues that never made it to base past support on? The USFL died the same year the Gunslingers died, and lack of support was league wide, along with not so bright ownership and a league office.
WFL
WLAF = we laugh
CFL=It was supported pretty well here but we would have been the only US team left so it was dropped due to logistics.

FkLA
02-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Yall need to get up to date on UTSA football.

They will NOT be part of the Southland Conference. Theyve basically said fuck you to the Southland Conference, their first two years will be independent because theyre set on jumping from FCS to FBS in 2013. Will they be UT or A&M? Of course not but theyre also not going to be Trinity. This will be a Division 1 program in a lower-tier major conference (CUSA is the one being talked about the most). I'd much rather support this than some minor league pro football team.

ShoogarBear
02-22-2010, 02:04 AM
At this rate, the Spurs will be an ufl team in a couple of year.

bresilhac
02-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Has nothing to do with our capability of supporting a team. I agree that we could support an NFL team tremendously well, but that's irrelevant.

The NFL is finacially driven by it's TV contract. Team placement, at least for expansion (and they'll influence any relocators to fit in it as well), will be heavily determined by "where adds value to our broadcast deals."

San Antonio is the 37th largest TV market, and already gives the NFL higher ratings than many home markets. There is ZERO benefit to the TV contract to put a team in San Antonio. The NFL would be better served putting a team in Monterrey or the RGV than in San Antonio because that would draw more interest from Mexico.

With as heavily revenue shared as the NFL is, it's not so much about where the fan support is, but where they can get new money (TV viewers, merchandise sales, etc) into the shared pool. And SA doesn't bring new money, it'll just change the direction of money that already exists in the NFL pockets.

If the NFL comes to SA in my lifetime it is because 1) They started falling apart financially and needed a stable market more than expanding revenue, or 2) a league like the UFL started making a dent in their fanbase and they needed to either squash or merge with it.

You leave out an important aspect of having an NFL club in San Antonio. The butts in seats aspect. While true having a team in SA would simply shift around money that already exists as far as revenue. Having a full stadium and selling out games would be important too.

Take Jacksonville for instance. Here is a situation so sorry and is so pathetic that the league would love to have that franchise relocated. They don't sellout their games they don't bring in droves of television revenue, so why is there a team there? With a team in SA, and with a new stadium, the seats would be full, the skyboxes would be sold and everybody would be happy including the league.

And most importantly of all an owner would make money. And that's the real reason why the league will allow a team to play here.

Dr. Gonzo
02-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Yall need to get up to date on UTSA football.

They will NOT be part of the Southland Conference. Theyve basically said fuck you to the Southland Conference, their first two years will be independent because theyre set on jumping from FCS to FBS in 2013. Will they be UT or A&M? Of course not but theyre also not going to be Trinity. This will be a Division 1 program in a lower-tier major conference (CUSA is the one being talked about the most). I'd much rather support this than some minor league pro football team.

:lmao

UFL>>>UTSA football

Nobody in San Antonio outside of a few of the students give a shit about UTSA football. The average San Antonio resident is a Longhorn fan and will continue to be one even after UTSA jumps to FBS.

spursncowboys
02-22-2010, 09:23 AM
You're so lame for stilling calling them America's team. Seriously, do you suck on a Jerry Jones branded dildo at night as well?
witty. I am a fan so I honestly believe that. For good reason though. One, they have the highest merchandise sales. Also I would love for you to choose another team who has a larger geographical area as a fan base. Phoenix Az has more Cowboys fns than the Cards.

The Cavs with Lebron James average $50 a ticket.

The Mavs with Cuban's billions and "America's team" average $59 dollars a ticket.

Heck, the Chicago Bulls in the third largest metro in the US average $66 dollars.

Would you like to know what the Spurs average per ticket? $68 dollars.

So I guess the lesson is you shouldn't be on a message board talking about stuff you don't know and I don't know stay awake during your school classes. Knowledge is power you know.
The lesson for you is to not think your wit transfers through the keyboard dipshit. Yeah the spurs avg $68. They also keep a large chunk of their 16K stadium under $30. They have been title contenders for over ten years and still can't capitalize like other teams.

fyatuk
02-22-2010, 10:28 AM
You leave out an important aspect of having an NFL club in San Antonio. The butts in seats aspect. While true having a team in SA would simply shift around money that already exists as far as revenue. Having a full stadium and selling out games would be important too.

(...)

And most importantly of all an owner would make money. And that's the real reason why the league will allow a team to play here.

That's why I said if they needed stability more than expanding revenue. If it's going to happen it'll happen in the next couple years because of the slipping of revenues caused by the recession.

And "butts in the seat" does not really make money. Ticket money is a drop in the bucket and is part of the shared revenue. The biggest enticement would be club seats and luxury suites, and for that we'd need a brand new stadium (since even the previously proposed $200 million dollar expansion to the dome would make it one of the worst in the league there).

As long as a team is struggling, the NFL couldn't block a move here, thanks to Al Davis forcing relocation rule changes in court, I'm just saying there's very little in the way of motivation for an owner to move here. Moving to LA, or Toronto, or Mexico, or even London would provide a boost to shared revenue, and except for Mexico all have greater potential for both normal ticket buyers, as well as club and suite sales.

The league will definitely encourage someone to move to places like that over SA.

And considering the TV contracts pay for just about all the Salary Cap on a team (and merchandise splits should take care of the rest), you can put a team anywhere and still turn a profit with a good stadium lease. Jaguars problem with profitability is they let the city change their lease several times taking revenue away from the Jags. Team never should have been there anyway, that was a scramble placement by the NFL (Jacksonville had been eliminated, but several markets dropped out leaving the NFL one short).

UFL>>>UTSA football

Nobody in San Antonio outside of a few of the students give a shit about UTSA football. The average San Antonio resident is a Longhorn fan and will continue to be one even after UTSA jumps to FBS.

You're wrong there. I am not a student at UTSA, never have been, never will be. Hell, I've never been a student at anything over community college in Texas (went to a university in New Mexico). I care just as much about UTSA getting a team as I do the UFL.

UTSA getting a team, and moving to FBS, is a GOOD thing for this city. It definitely raises the status of not just the school, but our city, to have a college football team competing on the highest level (even if they'll be a lesser team there). It's good for drawing attention to our city. That said, I won't buy season tickets or merchandise, but I'll probably try to make a game a year.

Both UTSA and the UFL will fill dates and bring in much needed revenue to the dome's coffers. UTSA in particular will bring in a lot of outside money, since college fans travel notoriously well, and they should be playing a lot of regional teams that won't mind the drive down here.

samikeyp
02-22-2010, 11:11 AM
100,000 people at a game? What current NFL stadium even has that capacity,

Jerryworld fits 100K

Other football teams from other leagues have not worked in SA for a variety of reasons but first and foremost..its not the NFL. That sounds naive and and simplistic but its also accurate. There is a curiosity factor at first and the fact that it is football brings a few but people want NFL football period. If the team is successful that will help but unless its NFL football, ultimately its doomed. Hey, I hope I am wrong....I would love to see this UFL entry do well and I hope they do so. I will most likely follow it on line and may even buy a t-shirt but I don't expect it to be around very long. Oh and don't underestimate the "butts in the seats" factor. Ticket sales are a drop in the bucket overall but pictures of empty seats will have a big effect on whether people want to spend time and money.

Smileguy90210
02-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Jerryworld fits 100K

Other football teams from other leagues have not worked in SA for a variety of reasons but first and foremost..its not the NFL. That sounds naive and and simplistic but its also accurate. There is a curiosity factor at first and the fact that it is football brings a few but people want NFL football period. If the team is successful that will help but unless its NFL football, ultimately its doomed. Hey, I hope I am wrong....I would love to see this UFL entry do well and I hope they do so. I will most likely follow it on line and may even buy a t-shirt but I don't expect it to be around very long. Oh and don't underestimate the "butts in the seats" factor. Ticket sales are a drop in the bucket overall but pictures of empty seats will have a big effect on whether people want to spend time and money.
:king

Buddy Holly
02-22-2010, 02:54 PM
witty. I am a fan so I honestly believe that. For good reason though. One, they have the highest merchandise sales. Also I would love for you to choose another team who has a larger geographical area as a fan base. Phoenix Az has more Cowboys fns than the Cards.

Let me preference this by saying you have so far shown a bad track record for you "out of thin air" facts. But if you say Phoenix has more Cowboy fans than Cardinals fans I guess it's true. :lol

However,

Holy crap Batman, a metro that has grown rapidly because of the mirgation of transplant after transplant the last 20 years doesn't have tremendous local loyalty to its pro sports teams? No....

However,

I still think what you said up there is completely and utterly wrong.

The lesson for you is to not think your wit transfers through the keyboard dipshit. Yeah the spurs avg $68. They also keep a large chunk of their 16K stadium under $30. They have been title contenders for over ten years and still can't capitalize like other teams.

No, the lesson for you is to proof read what your post because in almost every post so far in this thread you'd gotten something of factual substance completely wrong.

The at&t center holds a little over 18,700. Where the hell did you get 16,000 from? Ohmifuckinggod kid. It's really just pointless arguing with you. Do not, do not drop out of middle school. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

P.S.

Did you even compare SA's arena ticket prices with other teams? Or do you think offering low prices is unique to the Spurs? Hell, Cuban wanted to offer the entire upper bowl at 5 dollars a piece.

P.P.S

The average ticket prices I posted that you read because you quoted should be all you need in order to figure out all you need to know.

Buddy Holly
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Jerryworld fits 100K

It can open up to fit that many but on game to game basic they average just under 90,000 a game.

FkLA
02-22-2010, 06:15 PM

UFL>>>UTSA football

You ever considered the fact that alot of people, including myself, have adopted the Longhorns because we dont have a team to call our own? Same with alot of us being Cowboy fans? Give us an NFL or Division I football team though, and this city will embrace them.

In 2013 UTSA football will be an FBS program in a lower-tier major conference, the UFL will always be minor league. UTSA football has way more potential, you have to have something against the University itself to not realize that.

spursncowboys
02-22-2010, 06:56 PM
It can open up to fit that many but on game to game basic they average just under 90,000 a game.

semantics.

spursncowboys
02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Let me preference this by saying you have so far shown a bad track record for you "out of thin air" facts. But if you say Phoenix has more Cowboy fans than Cardinals fans I guess it's true. :lol

However,

Holy crap Batman, a metro that has grown rapidly because of the mirgation of transplant after transplant the last 20 years doesn't have tremendous local loyalty to its pro sports teams? No....

However,

I still think what you said up there is completely and utterly wrong.

No, the lesson for you is to proof read what your post because in almost every post so far in this thread you'd gotten something of factual substance completely wrong.

The at&t center holds a little over 18,700. Where the hell did you get 16,000 from? Ohmifuckinggod kid. It's really just pointless arguing with you. Do not, do not drop out of middle school. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

P.S.

Did you even compare SA's arena ticket prices with other teams? Or do you think offering low prices is unique to the Spurs? Hell, Cuban wanted to offer the entire upper bowl at 5 dollars a piece.

P.P.S

The average ticket prices I posted that you read because you quoted should be all you need in order to figure out all you need to know.

You are pathetic. Why not make points on why the NFL will bring a team to SA. Give an exact team. Show their current city's economic situation as to why they would leave that city. Then show why out of all the cities, they would choose SA. I'm not going to sit and argue with you. You are a moron. . Save your nonsense for your online chat rooms and facebook.

j-6
02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
I've read fyatuk's posts regarding this league, watched a couple of games online, and checked out the fansite and the official website. Aside from the godawful uni's, there's not much to hate on with the UFL. Sure, attendance sucked and it wasn't NFL quality play, broadcasting, or media coverage. What do you expect?

If there is some support for this and SA ''adopts'' the Roadrunner program, there's a chance that the NFL takes a look there. More realistically, having the UFL succeed and to have a team with great local support will lure an owner easier than pointing at a stadium and population projections and thinking you're entitled to an NFL franchise.

In a state that fills college stadiums for HS playoff games, finding 30,000 people out of a metro a little less than two million to take some ownership and attend games shouldn't be that difficult. If you can't do that, why would the NFL even bother? "We only want top level football'' is more of a copout than a statement.

samikeyp
02-22-2010, 11:49 PM

True but she asked about capacity not average.

Buddy Holly
02-23-2010, 12:13 AM
semantics.

In what sense? In that there is a venue that can hold 100,000 or in that you were ass backwards in stating the SA team would need to average 100,000 fans in a stadium? :lol

Dr. Gonzo
02-23-2010, 12:19 AM
You ever considered the fact that alot of people, including myself, have adopted the Longhorns because we dont have a team to call our own? Same with alot of us being Cowboy fans? Give us an NFL or Division I football team though, and this city will embrace them.

In 2013 UTSA football will be an FBS program in a lower-tier major conference, the UFL will always be minor league. UTSA football has way more potential, you have to have something against the University itself to not realize that.

I guess you haven't lived in this city long enough to know that this city won't give two shits about UTSA football. They will not be in the FBS anytime soon and they will certainly not be in any mid-tier conference. You are fucking delusional if you think that's happening.

I bet you think UTSA is going to be a tier one school as well.

Buddy Holly
02-23-2010, 12:20 AM
You are pathetic.

Making you look stupid makes me look pathetic? :rollin

Why not make points on why the NFL will bring a team to SA.

Give an exact team. Show their current city's economic situation as to why they would leave that city.

The Jaguars.

SA has a bigger population base, a faster growing city and metro, a more diverse economy, a bigger GDP, etc.

The Saints.

Same as the Jaguars.

The Bills.

Same as the Jaguars and Saints expect Buffalo has Toronto across from it so they have a bigger population base.

The Vikings.

Need a new stadium and its looking unlikely that one will be built.

Then show why out of all the cities, they would choose SA.

Outside of LA, SA would be the top choice. If I have to explain, why, well... :wow

I'm not going to sit and argue with you.

Is that what you call it? All you've done is prove your still in middle school with your baseless and grossly incorrect statements. Get a life kid.

You are a moron. .

That's like a 50 year old Atlantic City hooker with no teeth calling someone ugly. It just isn't possible.

Save your nonsense for your online chat rooms and facebook.

What?

Buddy Holly
02-23-2010, 12:20 AM
True but she asked about capacity not average.

You're right, I was still making the point to our sad friend spursncowboys.

IronMexican
02-23-2010, 12:40 AM
I think we'll all be well dead before SA gets a team.

IronMexican
02-23-2010, 12:41 AM
And can I get a link to the N'Sync thread? I never really got to see it, just heard.

samikeyp
02-23-2010, 01:01 AM
You're right, I was still making the point to our sad friend spursncowboys.

Ahh....carry on then. :toast

FkLA
02-23-2010, 02:12 AM
I guess you haven't lived in this city long enough to know that this city won't give two shits about UTSA football. They will not be in the FBS anytime soon and they will certainly not be in any mid-tier conference. You are fucking delusional if you think that's happening.

I bet you think UTSA is going to be a tier one school as well.

Allright here's my reasoning...the Athletic Director and Coker have come out and said theyre going FBS in 2013. They already have a stadium in the Dome thats big enough to meet FBS standards, which is the biggest hurdle most teams attempting to go FBS face. Theyre also going independent the first two years instead of joining the Southland Conference, which hasnt sat well with Southland Conference top guys and UTSA runs the risk of being kicked out of the conference altogether, that isnt something a new program with small time aspirations would do. As for support Ive seen the city embrace the Saints after Katrina hit, Ive seen the city embrace the Cowboys during training camp, Ive seen the city follow the Cowboys along with the Longhorns/Aggies as if they were their own. Its practically starving for a football team, support shouldnt be a problem.

Whats your reasoning for your assumptions, cause your basically just spewing shit out without basis.

cherylsteele
02-23-2010, 02:15 AM
If someone is expecting San Antonio to put 100,000 people in a stadium every Sunday, then I am not sure what to say. I would think 60-70,000 would be doable number.

The big issue is the venue, Alamodome was a good venue for NFL when it opened, but it needs upgrades in luxury boses and such to be a viable NFL stadium, and an upgrade is goimg to cost 150 mil+ from what I have heard, could be wrong about the number though. Not sure if the public would go for a tax adjusment to pay for it.

fyatuk
02-23-2010, 07:36 AM
If someone is expecting San Antonio to put 100,000 people in a stadium every Sunday, then I am not sure what to say. I would think 60-70,000 would be doable number.

The big issue is the venue, Alamodome was a good venue for NFL when it opened, but it needs upgrades in luxury boses and such to be a viable NFL stadium, and an upgrade is goimg to cost 150 mil+ from what I have heard, could be wrong about the number though. Not sure if the public would go for a tax adjusment to pay for it.

When the Alamodome opened it would have been a decent, but not spectacular NFL stadium.

When they did the study when the Saints were here, it was $200 million to make the dome 75K seats, while doubling club seats and luxury suites. That'd still leave the dome as mediocre by NFL standards ;)

bresilhac
02-23-2010, 08:11 AM
When the Alamodome opened it would have been a decent, but not spectacular NFL stadium.

When they did the study when the Saints were here, it was $200 million to make the dome 75K seats, while doubling club seats and luxury suites. That'd still leave the dome as mediocre by NFL standards ;)

With a $200+ million refitting why would the Dome still be considered mediocre? Is there something inherently inferior about the place? One would think that pouring that much money into the Dome would effectively alleviate any inferiorities that the building may have currently.

spursncowboys
02-23-2010, 08:27 AM
If they got a guaranteed team coming, I would hope they would just bulldoze the AD and rebuild a basic open stadium seating.

fyatuk
02-23-2010, 08:44 AM
With a $200+ million refitting why would the Dome still be considered mediocre? Is there something inherently inferior about the place? One would think that pouring that much money into the Dome would effectively alleviate any inferiorities that the building may have currently.

The amount of club seats and luxury suites would still be medoicre by current NFL standards. Unless you get club seats to over 10k and luxury suites over 150 (both impossible to expand the dome to, or at least not even close to cost effective), it won't be considered anything but mediocre by NFL standards. Pretty much any team with less than that is bitching for new stadiums, or renovations to increase those numbers.

SA needs a NEW stadium for the NFL. Luckily, we don't need a roof (retracable or otherwise), so we could probably get away with a $500-600 million dollar stadium. That's still beyond the cities current capabilities to invest, though.

spursncowboys
02-23-2010, 08:44 AM
The Jaguars.

SA has a bigger population base, a faster growing city and metro, a more diverse economy, a bigger GDP, etc. the Jags have a benefit, geographically. Everything around them is open as far as market shares. That isn't the same for SA. Also Jax was an expansion. I don't think there will ever be an expansion w/ the NFL again. Definitely not in the next 20 years. Also why would someone go from one small market to another small market?

The Saints.

I agree twith this. This could have happened. Benson with the benefits he could have gotten from the sa politicians would have guaranteed that it went to sa. However with the sb win and katrina that option is gone.

The Bills. If this moves away, it is because they had to sell the team, probably to cover the inheritence tax. When they sell it, it will probably go to a group of investors. That will almost guarantee LA or Toronto.

fyatuk
02-23-2010, 08:55 AM
The Jaguars.

SA has a bigger population base, a faster growing city and metro, a more diverse economy, a bigger GDP, etc.

The owner is dedicated to Jacksonville. He'll probably sell it instead of moving, and more than likely, it won't be sold to anyone that would move it to SA (who's going to buy it and move it here with Red retired and Benson already owning the Saints).

The Saints.

Same as the Jaguars.

IF LA kills the $20 million subsidy, and raises the rent for the practice facility above $1, and doesn't show signs of economic recovery, and doesn't agree to a new stadium in a few years, than maybe.

It's much more likely after Benson either retires or dies and control of the team goes to Rita.

The Bills.

Same as the Jaguars and Saints expect Buffalo has Toronto across from it so they have a bigger population base.

The teams not moving until Wilson dies, and then it's being sold because none of his relatives want the team. At that point, you're stuck with "who's gonna buy it and move it to SA?" Much more likely to move to Toronto.

The Vikings.

Need a new stadium and its looking unlikely that one will be built.

Some officials up there suggested selling the team the Metrodome for $1 to convince them to stay :lol

Owner seems willing to move them without selling, but I can't see the NFL approving a downward move from Minneapolis to San Antonio. Not without San Antonio guaranteeing a quickly built top of the line stadium, which we can't afford to do. Also, Wilf (or whatever his name it) is looking to control real estate development around the stadium. His goals seems like a good match for the Roski project in City of Industry, so I would expect the Vikes to go there with Roski getting part of the team, and the owner getting part of the development.

spursncowboys
02-23-2010, 09:28 AM
You still make no reason why anyone who is having problems in a small market city, would move to another smaller market.

Buddy Holly
02-23-2010, 09:41 AM
the Jags have a benefit, geographically. Everything around them is open as far as market shares. That isn't the same for SA.

You do understand that Jacksonville to Tampa is about the same as SA to Houston and Jacksonville to Atlanta is the same as San Antonio to Dallas.

Also Jax was an expansion. I don't think there will ever be an expansion w/ the NFL again.

How Jacksonville received a team has what to do with the question you posed?

Also the NFL will expand again in the future, the only way they never expand again is if the world does end in 2012.

Definitely not in the next 20 years.

So you think the NFL will NEVER expand again, just not in the next 20 years. :bang

Also why would someone go from one small market to another small market?

Because SA's a bigger market with much more potential. But again, it's LA first then SA.

That will almost guarantee LA or Toronto.

Toronto? Seriously, you think the NFL will allow a team in Toronto and Buffalo? The only way Toronto is getting a team is if the Bills move to another city emptying that market of an NFL team or the Bills move to Toronto themselves.

Buddy Holly
02-23-2010, 09:46 AM
The owner is dedicated to Jacksonville. He'll probably sell it instead of moving, and more than likely, it won't be sold to anyone that would move it to SA (who's going to buy it and move it here with Red retired and Benson already owning the Saints).

Hypothetically? One of the other 7 billionaires that lives in SA or the multiple others that make SA a second home.

Heck, you don't even need a billionaire, just a group of wealthy investors.

IF LA kills the $20 million subsidy, and raises the rent for the practice facility above $1, and doesn't show signs of economic recovery, and doesn't agree to a new stadium in a few years, than maybe.

It's much more likely after Benson either retires or dies and control of the team goes to Rita.

I never put a time frame just answered the question. In 10 years it may be a new group of teams that are potential suitors.

The teams not moving until Wilson dies, and then it's being sold because none of his relatives want the team. At that point, you're stuck with "who's gonna buy it and move it to SA?" Much more likely to move to Toronto.

We're both dealing with uncontrollable hypothetical situation.

Owner seems willing to move them without selling, but I can't see the NFL approving a downward move from Minneapolis to San Antonio. Not without San Antonio guaranteeing a quickly built top of the line stadium, which we can't afford to do. Also, Wilf (or whatever his name it) is looking to control real estate development around the stadium. His goals seems like a good match for the Roski project in City of Industry, so I would expect the Vikes to go there with Roski getting part of the team, and the owner getting part of the development.

Again we're both dealing with uncontrollable hypothetical situation. Neither of us is more correct or incorrect than the other.

Buddy Holly
02-23-2010, 09:50 AM
You still make no reason why anyone who is having problems in a small market city, would move to another smaller market.

Because outside of LA, there are no "big" markets left without an NFL team. Holy crap, it's not that hard to comprehend.

But besides that, aside from Minneapolis, the teams I proposed would be going to a larger market. SA is larger than Jacksonville, New Orleans, Buffalo.

Also, how is SA a small market? Aside from some very bogus television market number, there's nothing "small" about SA. I honestly think the term "small market" needs to be retired, especially when trying to be applied to SA.

Dr. Gonzo
02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Allright here's my reasoning...the Athletic Director and Coker have come out and said theyre going FBS in 2013. They already have a stadium in the Dome thats big enough to meet FBS standards, which is the biggest hurdle most teams attempting to go FBS face. Theyre also going independent the first two years instead of joining the Southland Conference, which hasnt sat well with Southland Conference top guys and UTSA runs the risk of being kicked out of the conference altogether, that isnt something a new program with small time aspirations would do. As for support Ive seen the city embrace the Saints after Katrina hit, Ive seen the city embrace the Cowboys during training camp, Ive seen the city follow the Cowboys along with the Longhorns/Aggies as if they were their own. Its practically starving for a football team, support shouldnt be a problem.

Whats your reasoning for your assumptions, cause your basically just spewing shit out without basis.

It's called being realistic and knowing the city. It takes more than an AD and an overrated old coach to say you are going to the FBS to get there. And sure the city embraced the NFL New Orleans Saints because they are an NFL team. Not a bush league "D1" team.

But go ahead and live in your little UTSA fantasy land and keep believing the university is going to have some relevance because I know they never will. They dream big but of course so do retards.

fyatuk
02-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Hypothetically? One of the other 7 billionaires that lives in SA or the multiple others that make SA a second home.

Heck, you don't even need a billionaire, just a group of wealthy investors.

Not many of which have ever showed interest in owning a controlling interest in a sports team. The NFL isn't going to approve an ownership group without a lead owner.

Although rumor says it's one of the Butts that put up the money for the UFL team (it's a bit of chump change though).

I never put a time frame just answered the question. In 10 years it may be a new group of teams that are potential suitors.

Quite true. I think San Antonio's only chance is waiting for Rita to inherit the Saints.

We're both dealing with uncontrollable hypothetical situation.

Again we're both dealing with uncontrollable hypothetical situation. Neither of us is more correct or incorrect than the other.

Agreed. There are too many undetermined, unpredictable variables. It's my opinion that the NFL has no motivation to put a team here, except as a last resort.

I just wanted to bring up more specifics regarding the teams you mentioned and their situations.

Blake
02-23-2010, 11:26 AM

you mean you didn't like that skinny bad-guy-looking dude for the gunlsingers?

Blake
02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Because outside of LA, there are no "big" markets left without an NFL team. Holy crap, it's not that hard to comprehend.

But besides that, aside from Minneapolis, the teams I proposed would be going to a larger market. SA is larger than Jacksonville, New Orleans, Buffalo.

Also, how is SA a small market? Aside from some very bogus television market number, there's nothing "small" about SA. I honestly think the term "small market" needs to be retired, especially when trying to be applied to SA.

Pretty sure fyatuk covered it earlier when mentioning TV contracts.

The giant bulk of revenue that the NFL gets is from TV contracts.

What is "small" about SA is the amount of municipalities that surround us compared to many other cities.

Last I checked, SA is the 37th largest TV market which would be probably be barely attractive enough if we were all by ourselves in the middle of nowhere. The problem for us is that we already all have our TVs turned on to the NFL on Sundays to watch Dallas play.

Even if an owner for some reason actually wanted to come here to our outdated Alamodome, there would be pressure from the other owners and the commissioner to find another city that would financially benefit the league more as a whole.

bresilhac
02-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Pretty sure fyatuk covered it earlier when mentioning TV contracts.

The giant bulk of revenue that the NFL gets is from TV contracts.

What is "small" about SA is the amount of municipalities that surround us compared to many other cities.

Last I checked, SA is the 37th largest TV market which would be probably be barely attractive enough if we were all by ourselves in the middle of nowhere. The problem for us is that we already all have our TVs turned on to the NFL on Sundays to watch Dallas play.

Even if an owner for some reason actually wanted to come here to our outdated Alamodome, there would be pressure from the other owners and the commissioner to find another city that would financially benefit the league more as a whole.

Actually if a group of local investors bought a team and brought it here to SA it would be tremendously successful and very beneficial to the league despite some of the comments made by fyatuk and others. Especially when compared to places like KC, Buffalo and Jacksonville.

And what city, other than LA, and that doesn't already have a franchise, would benefit the league more as a whole? Orlando? OKC? Portland? I don't think so. San Antonio clearly would be a wise choice for a group of investors to place a team.

Incidentally, in a piece published on Sunday Jan Russell mentions that there is now a group of potential investors who are looking into buying a team for San Antonio. There is also a rumor floating around that has several Jacksonville Jaguar staff members looking over the Alamodome very recently.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/columnists/jan_jarboe_russell/Big_money_must_suit_up_if_seeking_NFL_team.html

Blake
02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Actually if a group of local investors bought a team and brought it here to SA it would be tremendously successful and very beneficial to the league despite some of the comments made by fyatuk and others. Especially when compared to places like KC, Buffalo and Jacksonville.

Everything I've seen and read suggests very little would be gained by the NFL as a whole if they had a team move here.

Exactly how do you think it would be very beneficial to the league?

And what city, other than LA, and that doesn't already have a franchise, would benefit the league more as a whole? Orlando? OKC? Portland? I don't think so. San Antonio clearly would be a wise choice for a group of investors to place a team.

I'm not sure any of the cities would benefit the league as a whole. What team is moving that is limiting it's search to those cities?

Incidentally, in a piece published on Sunday Jan Russell mentions that there is now a group of potential investors who are looking into buying a team for San Antonio. There is also a rumor floating around that has several Jacksonville Jaguar staff members looking over the Alamodome very recently.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/columnists/jan_jarboe_russell/Big_money_must_suit_up_if_seeking_NFL_team.html

Rumors of teams looking at SA are nothing new.

We have long been seen as a nice bargaining chip when owners are unhappy with their current situations.

FkLA
02-23-2010, 03:09 PM
It's called being realistic and knowing the city. It takes more than an AD and an overrated old coach to say you are going to the FBS to get there. And sure the city embraced the NFL New Orleans Saints because they are an NFL team. Not a bush league "D1" team.

But go ahead and live in your little UTSA fantasy land and keep believing the university is going to have some relevance because I know they never will. They dream big but of course so do retards.

You act like Im saying UTSA will be the Longhorns or the Aggies, all Im saying is they will go FBS and join lower-tier major conference. Something similar to what the University of South Florida has recently done. It isnt just the words of the AD and coach that make this a realistic possibility but also the actions the University has taken in refusing to join a small time conference like the Soutland and going independent despite running the risk of getting kicked out of the conference altogether. As well as the fact that the Dome already meets FBS standards which is the biggest hurdle for teams looking to make the jump. This isnt some farfetched fantasy dream by any means.

But its pretty obvious that you have something against the university itself, so we'll just leave it at that.

Blake
02-23-2010, 04:13 PM
As well as the fact that the Dome already meets FBS standards which is the biggest hurdle for teams looking to make the jump. This isnt some farfetched fantasy dream by any means.

Actually this might be the bigger hurdle:

20.9.7.3 Football‐Attendance Requirements. [FBS] Once every two years on a rolling basis, the
institution shall average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football
games. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

http://www.athletics.txstate.edu/thedrive/Documents/FBS-NCAA-Requirements.pdf

I wouldn't get your hopes up for FBS football before the year 2020.....but we'll see.

lebomb
02-23-2010, 04:44 PM
No FkLA, Utsa will never be like the Aggies or UT in San Antonio, neither will TECH, or Baylor or TCU or hell any other college. Saytown fans are truly Tshirters.........they go for whomever is on top in this state. Let UT start having 8-4 or 7-5 years like they did back in the 90's and A&M starts winning 11 games a year..........all the UT shirts will hit the dresser and all the A&M T-shirts will be dusted off and worn. :rolleyes Utsa may suck to most, but at least Im as my signature states. :toast

jb4g
02-23-2010, 05:12 PM
I actually watched the UFL championship game for some strange reason, and the level of play was pretty decent. I would check out a few games if prices werent too bad. And anything that helps cover the costs for the dome is a win for the city. The odds are against it lasting even 5 years, but you never know. Anyone here who believes the Alamodome is going to bring in a NFL club is just crazy, the only shot we ever had was the Saints, and thats definately not happening now. San Antonio does not add a tv market, it simply takes a chunk out of the Cowboys viewing audience. Hell there was a guy a few years back trying to get a team in the valley, from what I read that had a better chance of happening than a team in SA.

And what is with all the hate for UTSA football around here???? Its great for the school and the city, anyone who calls SA home should be excited about this. It would have been one thing if they went FCS and played SLC ball, but they are doing exactly what the public and their alumni want...to play big time college football. You can be a UT or Ag fan and still respect what UTSA is trying to do. In just 3 years you are going to have the chance to go tailgate and watch quality football against the likes of Kansas St, Ok st, Baylor, Tech, Houston, Army...etc......how can that possibly be seen as a bad thing is beyond me.

Blake
02-23-2010, 05:18 PM
No FkLA, Utsa will never be like the Aggies or UT in San Antonio, neither will TECH, or Baylor or TCU or hell any other college. Saytown fans are truly Tshirters.........they go for whomever is on top in this state. Let UT start having 8-4 or 7-5 years like they did back in the 90's and A&M starts winning 11 games a year..........all the UT shirts will hit the dresser and all the A&M T-shirts will be dusted off and worn. :rolleyes Utsa may suck to most, but at least Im as my signature states. :toast

utsa will most likely never have to worry about tshirt fans like the Aggies or UT or Tech or Baylor or TCU or hell any other college.

Blake
02-23-2010, 05:20 PM
And what is with all the hate for UTSA football around here???? Its great for the school and the city, anyone who calls SA home should be excited about this.

I think most think utsa football is a good thing, or they are, at worst, indifferent about it.

some of the utsa fans on this messageboard are a different matter.

fyatuk
02-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Actually this might be the bigger hurdle:

20.9.7.3 Football‐Attendance Requirements. [FBS] Once every two years on a rolling basis, the
institution shall average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football
games. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

http://www.athletics.txstate.edu/thedrive/Documents/FBS-NCAA-Requirements.pdf

I wouldn't get your hopes up for FBS football before the year 2020.....but we'll see.

I don't think it'll be as big a problem as you think. From what's been heard, they have several regional FBS schools coming starting in 2013. Because of the close proximity and notoriously obsessed fanbases of many of the FBS schools, we can expect really good travel crowds for those games. And if the competition is there, the home crowd will be.

I doubt they'll get there as soon as the UTSA pushers think, but I wouldn't be suprised to see them there by 2017, 2018.

Blake
02-23-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't think it'll be as big a problem as you think. From what's been heard, they have several regional FBS schools coming starting in 2013. Because of the close proximity and notoriously obsessed fanbases of many of the FBS schools, we can expect really good travel crowds for those games. And if the competition is there, the home crowd will be.

I'm not sure how big a problem it will be at all. I just know that it's a bigger problem than securing a football field to play.

Securing 15,000 attendance for two years straight might be no problem, but it is no gimme. There are a number of FBS schools out there who averaged 15,000 or less last year......Rice, in big town Houston, averaged 13+k.

I also am not expecting huge travel crowds for utsa games. I am also not sure who you think will travel down here to play utsa.

fyatuk
02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure how big a problem it will be at all. I just know that it's a bigger problem than securing a football field to play.

Securing 15,000 attendance for two years straight might be no problem, but it is no gimme. There are a number of FBS schools out there who averaged 15,000 or less last year......Rice, in big town Houston, averaged 13+k.

I also am not expecting huge travel crowds for utsa games. I am also not sure who you think will travel down here to play utsa.

It's more of the fact that 1) they are looking for teams within about an 8 hour drive max, 2) a LOT of colleges travel well, and 3) people love coming to SA. And of course they are looking at the service academies, which should get good crowds here in military town USA.

lebomb
02-23-2010, 06:50 PM
utsa will most likely never have to worry about tshirt fans like the Aggies or UT or Tech or Baylor or TCU or hell any other college.

Unlike you, I really, really dont care. I really, really, really, really dont want them to either. I will support the team along with whomever else wants to whether its Alumni or the casual fan. :hat

lebomb
02-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Blake we all know you dislike Utsa, and want the football team.............hell all programs out there to fail. We get it bro.

j-6
02-23-2010, 08:42 PM
I'd like to know why the NFL will expand. They have perfect symmetry with eight four team divisions. It would cause an imbalance since they can't grant eight expansion teams at the same time. They have a better chance of absorbing the strongest teams in a rival league than to rock the apple cart and make a couple of divisions five teams, or to go to an imbalanced six division format.

jack sommerset
02-23-2010, 08:46 PM
I'd like to know why the NFL will expand. They have perfect symmetry with eight four team divisions. It would cause an imbalance since they can't grant eight expansion teams at the same time. They have a better chance of absorbing the strongest teams in a rival league than to rock the apple cart and make a couple of divisions five teams, or to go to an imbalanced six division format.

No shit. Not enough good players to go around as is. They should take a few franchises back.

Blake
02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
It's more of the fact that 1) they are looking for teams within about an 8 hour drive max, 2) a LOT of colleges travel well, and 3) people love coming to SA. And of course they are looking at the service academies, which should get good crowds here in military town USA.

getting the service academies would definitely be a good thing. If they could somehow get all three in one year that would be a great thing.

I'm just not so sure teams that might accept invites [like utep or Louisiana Monroe] really travel that well.

Blake
02-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Unlike you, I really, really dont care. I really, really, really, really dont want them to either. I will support the team along with whomever else wants to whether its Alumni or the casual fan. :hat

Blake we all know you dislike Utsa, and want the football team.............hell all programs out there to fail. We get it bro.

No, you don't really get it bro. That's why so many give you and the other utsa nutjobs so much shit.

lebomb
02-23-2010, 09:22 PM
No, you don't really get it bro. That's why so many give you and the other utsa nutjobs so much shit.

Meh? Dont care........I will be downtown tailgating having fun starting in 2011. Have a good evening. :toast

fyatuk
02-23-2010, 09:52 PM
getting the service academies would definitely be a good thing. If they could somehow get all three in one year that would be a great thing.

I'm just not so sure teams that might accept invites [like utep or Louisiana Monroe] really travel that well.

Well, UTSATailgaters has "confirmed" that OK State, Kansas State, all three service academies, Houston, and SMU have all already come to an agreement to play UTSA (I don't know where, their phrasing is clunky and makes it sound like all have agreed to play either here, or home and home), and Baylor and TT were close to agreements, for 2013 or 2014.

While those aren't exactly top notch schools or top notch travelers, it's definitely a better class than UTEP or LA-Monroe.

Supposedly, there's been a lot of interest in playing UTSA, even here, because it's a top notch stadium and UTSA shouldn't be that big of a challenge for those schools in 2013 and 2014.

Blake
02-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Meh? Dont care........I will be downtown tailgating having fun starting in 2011. Have a good evening. :toast

of course you do. If you didnt, you wouldn't get so pissy when you respond. :toast

Blake
02-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Well, UTSATailgaters has "confirmed" that OK State, Kansas State, all three service academies, Houston, and SMU have all already come to an agreement to play UTSA (I don't know where, their phrasing is clunky and makes it sound like all have agreed to play either here, or home and home), and Baylor and TT were close to agreements, for 2013 or 2014.

While those aren't exactly top notch schools or top notch travelers, it's definitely a better class than UTEP or LA-Monroe.

Supposedly, there's been a lot of interest in playing UTSA, even here, because it's a top notch stadium and UTSA shouldn't be that big of a challenge for those schools in 2013 and 2014.

I looked around but did not see anything about any Big XII teams, service academies or anyone else coming to play utsa here in 2013.

I also wouldn't really hold my breath on anything the two dudes that run utsatailgaters.com say.

I'm not 100% sure and maybe lebomb can verify.... I believe one of them is bleedorangeandblue who was one of the morons that got the college sports forum shut down and got himself banned.

He also mentioned how I had better watch out because he has friends in the FBI. No lie.

DMX7
02-24-2010, 04:33 AM
lol, well the FBI field office is pretty close to UTSA, so it's not impossible.

Kansas State, not OK State is going to be UTSA's 2013 home opener and it's going to be on ESPN. That's not just from tailgaters but from an inside source. I'll gladly wager that it's true.

fyatuk
02-24-2010, 07:20 AM
I looked around but did not see anything about any Big XII teams, service academies or anyone else coming to play utsa here in 2013.

I also wouldn't really hold my breath on anything the two dudes that run utsatailgaters.com say.

I'm not 100% sure and maybe lebomb can verify.... I believe one of them is bleedorangeandblue who was one of the morons that got the college sports forum shut down and got himself banned.

He also mentioned how I had better watch out because he has friends in the FBI. No lie.

Yeah, I remember the idiot that is "bleed."

And yeah, I put "confirmed" in quotes just because I don't have information on how reliable their information is.

But I believe Coker and/or Hickey have said there's been a lot of interest from FBS teams for home and homes.

lebomb
02-24-2010, 10:56 AM
of course you do. If you didnt, you wouldn't get so pissy when you respond. :toast

I try to control the anger issues.........I really dont care, but I just fire back defending myself and/or the school. Its all good. :hat

lebomb
02-24-2010, 11:03 AM

Yeah Bleedorangeandblue is one of the guys that runs tailgaters............hey, he really is a cool, cool guy if you got to know him. He is no different than any other person that is passionate about their U, so please dont go there. Ive seen just about everyone on ST act an ass. Anyhow Bleed is a booster out at Utsa and does get the scoop on just about all athletics. He gets his information directly from the source. So, you actually can believe what they are saying on that sight. :wakeup

Blake
02-24-2010, 11:14 AM
lol, well the FBI field office is pretty close to UTSA, so it's not impossible.

I don't have any reason to doubt he has talked to FBI guys. I do doubt that I need to watch out for these guys.

Kansas State, not OK State is going to be UTSA's 2013 home opener and it's going to be on ESPN. That's not just from tailgaters but from an inside source. I'll gladly wager that it's true.

If it was confirmed on Feb 5th at utsatailgaters.com, then why are we here almost 3 weeks later with nothing official on anyone's websites?

Why does this also have to be a secret inside source?

There's an underlying assumption here by you guys that UTSA will be at FBS status in 2013. If UTSA is still FCS status, there is no way K State travels here.

Blake
02-24-2010, 11:19 AM
I try to control the anger issues.........

uh, yeah......you should try to control anger issues. It's the internets.

Blake
02-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah Bleedorangeandblue is one of the guys that runs tailgaters............hey, he really is a cool, cool guy if you got to know him.
He is no different than any other person that is passionate about their U, so please dont go there.

Ive seen just about everyone on ST act an ass.

Yes, he is a different ass than everyone else on ST.

He complained and cryed about people bashing utsa, he called out kori in private messages using profanity and got himself banned.

Anyhow Bleed is a booster out at Utsa and does get the scoop on just about all athletics. He gets his information directly from the source. So, you actually can believe what they are saying on that sight. :wakeup

He's made it no secret that he talks to the AD in the past, so why can't he now clearly explain how he has confirmed that K St is coming in 2013?

CubanMustGo
02-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Can we please give the UTSA pissing and moaning a rest (both ways) before it gets out of hand again? This is a thread about SA and the UFL.

lebomb
02-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry man, I dont have all the answers really. But, I do know that Bleed knew Coker was selected as the coach at least a day before it was made public. He also knew who committed to Utsa before anyone else mentioned it, yet shortly afterwards it came out. Bleed regularly talks with the AD and the coaches as well as many in the athletic department, so Im pretty sure he gets a little inside information before most. *shrugs*

lebomb
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Can we please give the UTSA pissing and moaning a rest (both ways) before it gets out of hand again? This is a thread about SA and the UFL.

It turned because I said I would not support the UFL. I guess because Im soaked in orange and blue..........Utsa got drug into the conversation. *shrugs*

Blake
02-24-2010, 12:19 PM

Please, feel free to discuss SA and the UFL. Nothing is stopping you.

fyatuk
02-24-2010, 01:57 PM
There's an underlying assumption here by you guys that UTSA will be at FBS status in 2013. If UTSA is still FCS status, there is no way K State travels here.

Actually, that's not the assumption. It's is completely impossible for UTSA to be FBS by 2013, unless the NCAA rewrites the rulebook to make it easier (not bloody likely). The plan is for UTSA to begin it's 2 year reclassification period at 2013, which is also the first year they should count towards bowl eligibility for FBS teams (and therefore the first year any FBS team will schedule them anyway).

The assumption is FBS by 2015, though I think it'll take longer.

In UFL news, we've been told by UFL director of digital media Nation Hahn, that the expansion teams have not been chosen yet. Omaha, San Antonio, Austin, and Salt Lake City are all still in the running, and 2 of them will be chosen. Here's hoping for the smart choices of San Antonio and Salt Lake City to pan out...

DMX7
02-24-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't have any reason to doubt he has talked to FBI guys. I do doubt that I need to watch out for these guys.

Agreed.

If it was confirmed on Feb 5th at utsatailgaters.com, then why are we here almost 3 weeks later with nothing official on anyone's websites?

Why does this also have to be a secret inside source?

What website is it supposed to be on? UTSA's official website hasn't even announced the 2011 schedule but we already know many of the teams on it through one means or another.

Well... I can't speak for utsatailgaters because I don't know who runs it, but it has been very accurate so far. Regardless, I know K. State is on the schedule through a Known source to me but secret to most everyone else. He works for UTSA but I'm not going to get him into any trouble by revealing his name.

Blake
02-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Actually, that's not the assumption. It's is completely impossible for UTSA to be FBS by 2013, unless the NCAA rewrites the rulebook to make it easier (not bloody likely). The plan is for UTSA to begin it's 2 year reclassification period at 2013, which is also the first year they should count towards bowl eligibility for FBS teams (and therefore the first year any FBS team will schedule them anyway).

Actually, that is the assumption at the utsa website.

....UTSA will hold its first official practices this fall and begin play as a Football Championship Subdivision Independent (FCS/formerly Division I-AA) in 2011. The program plans to begin a reclassification period to become a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS/formerly Division I-A) Independent in 2013.

http://www.utsa.edu/today/2010/02/footballclass.html

The assumption is FBS by 2015, though I think it'll take longer.

me too, but I'll admit, it's not from lack of effort on utsa's part.

Blake
02-24-2010, 03:58 PM
What website is it supposed to be on? UTSA's official website hasn't even announced the 2011 schedule but we already know many of the teams on it through one means or another.

K State already has their 2013 schedule lined up except for the 4 non conference games which still show "TBA".

http://www.kstatesports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=3061&SPID=212&DB_OEM_ID=400&Q_SEASON=2013

Well... I can't speak for utsatailgaters because I don't know who runs it, but it has been very accurate so far. Regardless, I know K. State is on the schedule through a Known source to me but secret to most everyone else. He works for UTSA but I'm not going to get him into any trouble by revealing his name.

If it was officially confirmed that K St is coming, it really would not be that hard to find it elsewhere on the internet.

So far it's just utsatailgaters and your secret source that are confirming it.

lebomb
02-24-2010, 04:26 PM
If it was officially confirmed that K St is coming, it really would not be that hard to find it elsewhere on the internet.

So far it's just utsatailgaters and your secret source that are confirming it.

............you are indeed correct, its not official till its publicly announced by either Utsa or Kstate.

fyatuk
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Actually, that is the assumption at the utsa website.

Reread what you quoted. It clearly states they plan to begin the reclassification period in 2013. The reclassification period is 2 years (or until all the requirements are met, whichever is longer, or until they give up).

You are mischaracterizing their statement into an impossibility.

And why would you point out that K-State has 4 open non-conference dates for 2013 like it would be a good thing for your argument? UTSA would obviously fit into the non-conference schedule somewhere for them, of which K-State has posted none.

Not official, but not impossible either.

lebomb
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Reread what you quoted. It clearly states they plan to begin the reclassification period in 2013. The reclassification period is 2 years (or until all the requirements are met, whichever is longer, or until they give up).

And why would you point out that K-State has 4 open non-conference dates for 2013 like it would be a good thing for your argument? UTSA would obviously fit into the non-conference schedule somewhere for them, of which K-State has posted none.

I noticed Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Houston havent posted non conf. schedules out that far either.

DMX7
02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
............you are indeed correct, its not official till its publicly announced by either Utsa or Kstate.

Yes, nothing is official until both sides of the agreement state that the contract has been signed. I'm just posting what I believe based on a credible source. Again, I'd be willing to wager that it's right though.

Blake
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Got it. They could have worded it better.

I looked up the current FBS plan that in the best case scenario would put them in the FBS as an indepedent in 2015.

What I'm curious about is if in 2013 playing utsa will count for an opponent as playing an FBS or FCS team. It may or may not make a difference.

I'm not making any argument. I'm just saying don't hold your breath if the only two sources of confirmation are from utsatailgaters and a secret source from dmx7.

Not impossible, not official either.

Blake
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
I noticed Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Houston havent posted non conf. schedules out that far either.

right, nobody has. That's my point.

fyatuk
02-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Got it. They could have worded it better.

I looked up the current FBS plan that in the best case scenario would put them in the FBS as an indepedent in 2015.

What I'm curious about is if in 2013 playing utsa will count for an opponent as playing an FBS or FCS team. It may or may not make a difference.

Yeah, they wanted to stress the FBS, I'm sure.

Well, whether they count as FCS or FBS is irrelevant. They should be inelligible for FCS playoffs, inelligible for bowls, but count as an opponent for bowl eligibility of other teams during the reclassification period.

I'm not making any argument. I'm just saying don't hold your breath if the only two sources of confirmation are from utsatailgaters and a secret source from dmx7.

Not impossible, not official either.

Ahhh. It's an exciting rumor, but rumors fall through all the time, so I'm personally not that worried about it one way or another. Hell, even after the contract is sign the schedules can still change before the game is played.

I'm more interested in the 2011 opponents.

Blake
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah, they wanted to stress the FBS, I'm sure.

Well, whether they count as FCS or FBS is irrelevant. They should be inelligible for FCS playoffs, inelligible for bowls, but count as an opponent for bowl eligibility of other teams during the reclassification period.

It's of some relevance to the opponent.

Ahhh. It's an exciting rumor, but rumors fall through all the time, so I'm personally not that worried about it one way or another. Hell, even after the contract is sign the schedules can still change before the game is played.

I'm more interested in the 2011 opponents.

I'm interested in seeing 15,000 in attendance for the 2011 or 2012 opponents.

fyatuk
02-24-2010, 06:02 PM
It's of some relevance to the opponent.

Not really, the only thing that matters to them is whether they count as an opponent for qualifying for either bowls or FCS playoffs. They should count for both during the reclassification period, so it should be irrelevant whether they technically are FCS, FBS, or neither.

Blake
02-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Not really, the only thing that matters to them is whether they count as an opponent for qualifying for either bowls or FCS playoffs. They should count for both during the reclassification period, so it should be irrelevant whether they technically are FCS, FBS, or neither.

them being K St?

if an FBS team plays 2 FCS teams in one season, they can only count 1 of the wins.

It hurt Kansas State last year that even though they went 6-6, two of the wins were against FCS teams and therefore were not bowl eligible.

It's also very rare for an FBS team to travel to an FCS field. I cant think of any time that it's happened.

During the reclassification in 2013, I am wondering if utsa will be considered FCS or will count as an FBS opponent. It may not be a huge factor for some, but it's still a factor.

fyatuk
02-24-2010, 09:52 PM
them being K St?

if an FBS team plays 2 FCS teams in one season, they can only count 1 of the wins.

It hurt Kansas State last year that even though they went 6-6, two of the wins were against FCS teams and therefore were not bowl eligible.

It's also very rare for an FBS team to travel to an FCS field. I cant think of any time that it's happened.

During the reclassification in 2013, I am wondering if utsa will be considered FCS or will count as an FBS opponent. It may not be a huge factor for some, but it's still a factor.

Ahh, good point.

Let's see... according to this summary (http://www.athletics.txstate.edu/thedrive/Documents/FBS-NCAA-Requirements.pdf) from Tx State...

During the 2 year classification, the first year they'd be considered FCS and the second FBS in terms of the one game FCS counting.

lebomb
02-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Its NFL, Utsa FBS football or forget about it.........................

fyatuk
02-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Its NFL, Utsa FBS football or forget about it.........................

Snob

As long as it's well executed football, I'm good.

Buddy Holly
02-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Holy shit, can you guys appropriate the conversations please.

There's a UTSA forum where the back and forth can be had.

Blake
02-24-2010, 11:56 PM

what would you like to talk about?

fyatuk
02-25-2010, 12:29 AM

The conversation flowed. At least it didn't degenerate into a flame war.

jb4g
02-25-2010, 10:40 AM
them being K St?

It doesnt happen because most of the conferences have a rule against it, their member schools can only play FCS opponents at home. In 2012 UTSA will still be classified FCS, so any games with FBS schools will have to be on the road.

2013 begins the reclass period, they will count as a win for FBS schools towards bowl eligibility. Most of the rumored contracts are home and home deals. Makes a ton of sense for a school like OKst or K-St to do so, its an easy win, get to play in front of TX recruits, and close enough that some of their fans will make the trip. Its going to mean a lot of losses for UTSA, but they arent eligible for the FCS playoffs in 2013 or 2014 anyways. On the plus side, bringing in schools of this quality will ensure they hit the 15k attendance number, putting them in prime position in 2015 to be full fledged FBS.

Of course this entire plan could backfire if the NCAA changes the rules/requirements when the moratorium (sp?) lifts.

Buddy Holly
02-25-2010, 09:43 PM
what would you like to talk about?

Gee, I don't know, the topic of the thread. :bang

Blake
02-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Gee, I don't know, the topic of the thread. :bang

great, discuss some more how San Antonio lands UFL team.

nobody is stopping you.

fyatuk
02-25-2010, 10:36 PM
great, discuss some more how San Antonio lands UFL team.

nobody is stopping you.

Well, considering the topic is SA landing a UFL team, which has been confirmed by the UFL to not be true yet (expansion teams still undecided), the topic is kind of pointless.

spursncowboys
02-25-2010, 10:42 PM
The conversation flowed. At least it didn't degenerate into a flame war.
regardless of all of buddy holly's troll worthy attempts

Buddy Holly
02-26-2010, 01:54 PM
regardless of all of buddy holly's troll worthy attempts

Dude, seriously, how am I a troll when all I did was put you in check every time you decided to type out a post and make dumb claim after dumb claim.

Btw, do you remember these little nuggets?

7 NFL homes games.
100,000 attendance average in the NFL.
AT&T having 16,000 seats.

Hello, McFly, that was you.

To add to that, you calling people morons, etc and having no real foot to stand on in your attempts at arguing can only leave me to say you are the troll, you are the unintelligent lame troll. So you know, enjoy.

Blake
02-26-2010, 04:43 PM

Dude, seriously, how am I a troll when all I did was put you in check every time you decided to type out a post and make dumb claim after dumb claim.

7 NFL homes games.

To add to that, you calling people morons, etc and having no real foot to stand on in your attempts at arguing can only leave me to say you are the troll, you are the unintelligent lame troll. So you know, enjoy.

:tu

Buddy Holly
02-26-2010, 09:30 PM
:tu

Where in that top post quote did I mention UTSA? Oh yeah, nowhere.

Blake
02-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Where in that top post quote did I mention UTSA? Oh yeah, nowhere.

Where in that top post did you mention the UFL? Oh yeah, nowhere.

Just stfu, idiot.

spursncowboys
02-26-2010, 10:21 PM

7 NFL homes games.

YOu put me in check??
You argue nonsense. McFly??? really. You couldn't get a catchphrase from the 00's or even the 90's? Had to dip back into the 80's for that little nugget? :lol
Incredible. I put 7 instead of 8. 16k seats instead of 19. That is so incredibly lame of you to point out that and focus on only that then to not have any real take on anything. I would have to conclude that you are a professional troll who chooses this forum to be your only social outlet.

spursncowboys
02-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I rather read about UTSA than your anti social rants toward everyone's posts.

Buddy Holly
02-27-2010, 12:21 AM
I rather read about UTSA than your anti social rants toward everyone's posts.

Anti-social rants?

Did you pluck that out of some book? Was it the 'Idiots Guide on Questionable or Just Made Up to Sound Smart Put Downs One Can Use on a Message Board.'

Buddy Holly
02-27-2010, 12:30 AM
YOu put me in check??

Pretty much.

You argue nonsense.

Please child, articulate for just how my responses to you were nonsense.

McFly??? really. You couldn't get a catchphrase from the 00's or even the 90's?

"Dumbass" - Red Foreman
"Holy shit you're stupid" - Me in response to you just now circa 2010

Had to dip back into the 80's for that little nugget? :lol

Still sperm in your pap's ball sack, huh?

Incredible. I put 7 instead of 8. 16k seats instead of 19. That is so incredibly lame of you to point out that and focus on only that then to not have any real take on anything.

Yeah, pointing out such usual mistakes from someone who is trying to be an expert in an argument is totally lame. I mean, it's just so uncalled for. Most experts usually get their information wrong which is why they're experts, huh?

Seriously, with that type of mental digestion you have going on, you should be a sports radio host or something.

I would have to conclude that you are a professional troll who chooses this forum to be your only social outlet.

Jesus, I've been on this site since pretty much the beginning, I was on the other site when everyone was coolio with one another, shit kid, you see the little Carver icon I have under my name? If I'm some troll, I wouldn't have that. But honestly, I feel stupid for trying to prove how I'm not a troll and it's just plain embarrassing that I continue to keep going back and forth such a mental retard that you are.

Morgan's Wonderland is set to open soon, have a blast.

P.S.

I average 3.3 posts a day. You average 7.5 posts a day. :lmao

symple19
02-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Ummm, this is the NFL forum, not the forum for a league filled with wannabes and has-beens. This bullshit should be in the "other sports" forum. Nobody GAF about indoor, gimmicky football

Buddy Holly
02-27-2010, 01:03 AM
Ummm, this is the NFL forum, not the forum for a league filled with wannabes and has-beens. This bullshit should be in the "other sports" forum. Nobody GAF about indoor, gimmicky football

Since when was football considered a "other sport"? Also, UFL isn't indoors.

symple19
02-27-2010, 01:08 AM

What's the name of the forum dude?

Sorry if I'm not up to date on worthless leagues

Buddy Holly
02-27-2010, 01:13 AM
What's the name of the forum dude?

Find me a UFL sub-forum on Spurstalk and I'll post it in there.

Sorry if I'm not up to date on worthless leagues

http://atimetodance.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/moreyouknow.jpg

spursncowboys
02-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Anti-social rants?

Did you pluck that out of some book? Was it the 'Idiots Guide on Questionable or Just Made Up to Sound Smart Put Downs One Can Use on a Message Board.'

Actually I wrote that book. That one and
"How to pick up trashy woman" (from an 80's movie)

Buddy Holly
02-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Actually I wrote that book. That one and
"How to pick up trashy woman" (from an 80's movie)

Trashy woman. :depressed

spursncowboys
02-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Trashy woman. :depressed

spursncowboys
02-27-2010, 11:01 PM
buddyholly
Of the back your handle preculdes me to believe you're a very biased fellow when it comes to this subject.:lol But please you shoulc correct away.

Buddy Holly
02-27-2010, 11:08 PM
So you counteract my post with two examples, one being being a simple typo.

Bro, you've been bringing the stupidity every time you post. Pointing out the one time I have a simple typo because you're butt hurt that I pointed out your continuous horrid grammar is comical.

Buddy Holly
02-27-2010, 11:08 PM
So you counteract my post with two examples, one being the correct usage the other being a simple typo.

Bro, you've been bringing the stupidity every time you post. Pointing out the one time I have a simple typo because you're butt hurt that I pointed out your continuous horrid grammar is comical.

Buddy Holly
02-27-2010, 11:18 PM
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/411/faillol.png

DMX7
02-28-2010, 02:41 AM
The United Football League wants to place an expansion team in San Antonio.

League officials have requested a meeting with the city to discuss playing games at the Alamodome, said Jim Mery, the city’s assistant director of convention, sports and entertainment facilities.

“We haven’t met with them yet, but we want to hear what they have to say,” Mery said.

UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue could not be reached for comment.

According to the UFL Web site, the fledgling league wants to add two teams. It currently has teams in Hartford, Conn., Las Vegas, Orlando, Fla., and Sacramento, Calif.

The Orlando Sentinel reported two weeks ago that expansion teams would be announced in early March.

In addition to San Antonio, the league is eyeing Austin, Omaha, Neb., and Salt Lake City.

Touted as a developmental league for the NFL, the UFL debuted last year with four franchises. Its players and coaches are allowed to break contracts for NFL jobs, a policy that helped attract former NFL coaches Dennis Green and Jim Fassel and players J.P. Losman and Simeon Rice.

The league’s credibility is also bolstered by TV contracts with Versus and HDNet.

Still, the UFL lost $30 million in 2009, according to the SportsBusiness Journal.

The UFL’s six-week season was played in the fall last year and ended Thanksgiving weekend. With games scheduled for Friday and Saturday nights, the UFL in San Antonio would face the daunting challenge of competing against high school football.

A UFL team at the Alamodome could also be a headache for officials attempting to schedule and market UTSA football games. The Roadrunners are set to begin play in 2011.

“We wouldn’t want to get involved in anything that would hurt UTSA,” Mery said.

According to the Associated Press, the UFL requires each owner to put up $30 million for a half interest in a team, with the league owning the other half.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/nfl/85756242.html

spursncowboys
02-28-2010, 09:04 AM
So you counteract my post with two examples, one being the correct usage the other being a simple typo. Too many examples of your run-on sentences.

:lol Whatever you think. That fact that you think you are some kind of purveyor of truth is comical. The one actual post that wasn't a classless attack was weak. Keep your shtick up. You are not alone.

spursncowboys
02-28-2010, 09:05 AM
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/411/faillol.png

That was intentional. Too hard for you to grasp?

Buddy Holly
02-28-2010, 03:44 PM
That was intentional. Too hard for you to grasp?

It was intentional, right.

Dude, seriously, I done with the back and forth with you. It was fun at first when you thought you knew what you were talking about but everything you typed out of low IQ stuff and now it's just sad.

So, again, I'm done with you. Go ahead and quote this and come up with some "snappy" put down or whatever, have fun.

spursncowboys
02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
It was intentional, right.

Dude, seriously, I done with the back and forth with you. It was fun at first when you thought you knew what you were talking about but everything you typed out of low IQ stuff and now it's just sad.

So, again, I'm done with you. Go ahead and quote this and come up with some "snappy" put down or whatever, have fun.

Good luck on future endeavors.

fyatuk
02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
No offense, but both you guys are acting pathetic.

spursncowboys
02-28-2010, 06:11 PM
No offense, but both you guys are acting pathetic.

:toast
Af-Id_fuXFA

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 12:41 AM
This is the worst thing that could happen to SA's chances of landing an NFL team down the road. This will give the ego-maniac owners of NFL teams another reason to say SA is a minor league city and can't support an NFL team. Much like Houston with their failure to field an NFL worthy team in what, centuries?

Most of the powers in city government are against this stupid venture. Hopefully, they'll set a $5,000,000.00 per game charge for use of the Alamodome to keep jokes like this from setting up camp here. 10,000 will show up for the first game, then 4,000 for the second and by the 3rd game we'll be lucky to have 2,000 people show up unless they hand out free food and beer all game long.

Wings, Riders, Gunslingers, etc....ROTFFLMFAO!!! :hang

A Doomed Failure from the get-go! :nope

fyatuk
03-04-2010, 07:28 AM
10,000 will show up for the first game, then 4,000 for the second and by the 3rd game we'll be lucky to have 2,000 people show up unless they hand out free food and beer all game long.

Don't be ridiculous. San Antonio has always averaged about 15k for the alt-leagues. It wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as you claim.

lebomb
03-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Don't be ridiculous. San Antonio has always averaged about 15k for the alt-leagues. It wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as you claim.

I dont know man, 15K in a stadium that holds 65K would be pretty pathetic. That being said........... I pray Utsa can bring in more than 15K once the team gets rolling. :wakeup

fyatuk
03-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I dont know man, 15K in a stadium that holds 65K would be pretty pathetic. That being said........... I pray Utsa can bring in more than 15K once the team gets rolling. :wakeup

Quite true. Obviously they'll curtain off the upper deck (almost certainly will for UTSA as well) lowering capacity to like 30k. That'll do a lot better, and the curtains really do work well with maintainint the accoustics. Hopefully they'd get more than our historical 15k average (since most of the tickets will be in the $10-20 range).

I certainly hope UTSA gets that kind of average as well. I'd love to see both UTSA and the UFL being successful.

panic giraffe
03-04-2010, 01:13 PM
This is the worst thing that could happen to SA's chances of landing an NFL team down the road. This will give the ego-maniac owners of NFL teams another reason to say SA is a minor league city and can't support an NFL team. Much like Houston with their failure to field an NFL worthy team in what, centuries?

Most of the powers in city government are against this stupid venture. Hopefully, they'll set a $5,000,000.00 per game charge for use of the Alamodome to keep jokes like this from setting up camp here. 10,000 will show up for the first game, then 4,000 for the second and by the 3rd game we'll be lucky to have 2,000 people show up unless they hand out free food and beer all game long.

+1

if they even think about this, then i hope my councilman would do the right thing to keep them out. we don't need another roughriders or gunslingers, we need a real NFL team, we deserve it.

oh well, with the huge sway in climate and earthquakes and shit, just remember we are only 1 major storm away from having the SAints.

JudynTX
03-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Are they here yet?

fyatuk
03-04-2010, 01:48 PM
The UFL commissioner is set to meet with city leaders next week, and at the press conference yesterday announcing the move of the California franchise to Sacramento, he stated that expansion teams would be officially awarded at the end of this month.

So we should now pretty soon how things went between him and the city.

cherylsteele
03-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Most of the powers in city government are against this stupid venture.
Where have you read/heard this, or are you just making up stuff to post?

fyatuk
03-04-2010, 02:48 PM

A couple of the recent articles in EN/MySA have contained negative comments from city government officials and civilian leaders.

We Wouldn't want to get involved in anything that would hurt UTSA."

My skepticism is based on the fact that we've had these leagues before, and they never did as well as they would have liked, or the community would have liked.

They're not going to draw very well.

Where's the ownership group? What will be the returns on their investment? There are more questions than answers. All these leagues tout themselves as the steppingstone to the NFL. I thought that was college football.

UTSA is my priority. If this would in any way impact UTSA, I'd have serious concerns.

There should be quotes out there along the same lines.

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 04:33 PM

Uhhhhh, excuse me....and just how many of those teams are still playing? ROTFFLMFAO...! I don't think any of our minor league teams lasted more than 2 years and the owners were sued for back payments for stadium rental, players wages, etc.

If you think another one of these jokes will be supported then by all means spend your money on tickets. I have yet to talk to anyone who would even go to a game and they went to the games of the other minor league teams we had here.

And 15,000 in even Alamo Stadium will look puny, but in the Alamodome the place will look like it does when high schools play there....EMPTY!!!

Most of the City Council and County Judges have weighed-in and they say nay! San Antonio is definitely big enough to support an NFL team. We have people here with the $$$$$$$$$$ to own an NFL team. But, we are a long shot for an expansion team. Our best bet is to get a team looking to move. Of course the NFL big shots will scream at the top of their lungs unless it is headed by a guy like Red McCombs. When he owned the Vikings both he and Tom Benson were living in SA. I think Tom now spends more time in N.O. San Antonio and its Metro is bigger than several NFL cities but, the average wages in SA don't match up with some of those in the small markets, even though our cost of living is about the lowest in the nation. We need a few more large corporations here. And it didn't help when that dumbfuck asshole move the AT&T headquarters out of SA 2 years ago. We are making major improvements at our airport but, still don't have the airlines using it as a major hub which hurts us.

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 04:36 PM
+1

if they even think about this, then i hope my councilman would do the right thing to keep them out. we don't need another roughriders or gunslingers, we need a real NFL team, we deserve it.

oh well, with the huge sway in climate and earthquakes and shit, just remember we are only 1 major storm away from having the SAints.

++1

The word around town is our city and county leaders will work hard to keep the UFL out of SA and steer them elsewhere. That is a good sign that we now have leaders who would like for us to get an NFL team. :toast

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 04:38 PM

Stick it up yours. I don't make things up, dude or are you a dudette? :ihit

fyatuk
03-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Uhhhhh, excuse me....and just how many of those teams are still playing? ROTFFLMFAO...! I don't think any of our minor league teams lasted more than 2 years and the owners were sued for back payments for stadium rental, players wages, etc.

Quick, how many San Antonio teams have folded before the league they were in shut down....

Answer: 1, the Texans, and that was because they were the only US team left, not because they were a failure.

Plus, that's irrelevant to the claim of the pittifully small attendence numbers I responded to.

If you think another one of these jokes will be supported then by all means spend your money on tickets. I have yet to talk to anyone who would even go to a game and they went to the games of the other minor league teams we had here.

Just about everyone I've talked to would give it a shot for $10 a seat. Of course, both are sample sizes are extremely small and not representative of the whole.

And 15,000 in even Alamo Stadium will look puny, but in the Alamodome the place will look like it does when high schools play there....EMPTY!!!

Most of the City Council and County Judges have weighed-in and they say nay! San Antonio is definitely big enough to support an NFL team. We have people here with the $$$$$$$$$$ to own an NFL team. But, we are a long shot for an expansion team. Our best bet is to get a team looking to move. Of course the NFL big shots will scream at the top of their lungs unless it is headed by a guy like Red McCombs. When he owned the Vikings both he and Tom Benson were living in SA. I think Tom now spends more time in N.O. San Antonio and its Metro is bigger than several NFL cities but, the average wages in SA don't match up with some of those in the small markets, even though our cost of living is about the lowest in the nation. We need a few more large corporations here. And it didn't help when that dumbfuck asshole move the AT&T headquarters out of SA 2 years ago. We are making major improvements at our airport but, still don't have the airlines using it as a major hub which hurts us.

And yet we won't ever get an NFL team because there is no, and will be no, fiscal attractiveness for the NFL to place a team in SA. The NFL or bust attitude is just idiotic.

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM

UTSA will definitely bring in more once the program gets going (1-2 years). And on days when UT Austin is playing away games the stadium here will get the crowds. UTSA was smart getting such a great coach to start the program off. Having won a National Championship helps one hell of a lot with recruiting.

Go Longhorns and Roadrunners!!!

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Quick, how many San Antonio teams have folded before the league they were in shut down....

Answer: 1, the Texans, and that was because they were the only US team left, not because they were a failure.

Plus, that's irrelevant to the claim of the pittifully small attendence numbers I responded to.

Just about everyone I've talked to would give it a shot for $10 a seat. Of course, both are sample sizes are extremely small and not representative of the whole.

And yet we won't ever get an NFL team because there is no, and will be no, fiscal attractiveness for the NFL to place a team in SA. The NFL or bust attitude is just idiotic.

Go argue with your Kindergarten school teacher. You are a total waste of my time...!

Blake
03-04-2010, 04:49 PM

Why do you think Red McCombs never moved the Vikings here?

fyatuk
03-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Go argue with your Kindergarten school teacher. You are a total waste of my time...!

Oh, yes, I don't get upset or argumentative over an aggressive person on the internet who states ridiculously wrong information, and has no interest in calm, factual, logical discourse, so I'm a waste of time ;)

Alrighty then.

Buddy Holly
03-04-2010, 04:56 PM
A couple of the recent articles in EN/MySA have contained negative comments from city government officials and civilian leaders.

There should be quotes out there along the same lines.

Only one of those people you quoted is a "city official".

Also, it doesn't matter what the city officials think really, all that has to be done is a local owner has to invest money into the team and bam, SA has a team and word is a investor has already done so.

I'd assume the meeting with city officials is to see if the team can play at the dome.

bresilhac
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM

I totally agree Tex. This latest minor league football venture is doomed to pitifully fail. And I am very glad the powers that be at City Hall are against having this mess come to town. San Antonians want and deserve and most importantly can support NFL football. Anything else would be just a tremendous waste of time and money.

Buddy Holly
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM

Did he tell you? :lol

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 04:59 PM

At the time it was not a viable option for many reasons including the NFL made it clear to Red he was not to move the team out of the Minny market. And when the city would not back the building of a new stadium he did the smart thing and sold the teams and cleared several hundred million dollars. Red is many things but, stupid he is not.

Several months ago Red was interviewed by Don Harris and he told Don that San Antonio would definitely support an NFL team. Hell, we even supported the Saints when they were only the Aint's!

The bottom line for any poster is if you want to support a UFL team it is no sweat off my back. There is a reason why there are so many auto manufacturers....so everyone has a choice basked on personal likes, money to spend, etc. I just have no desire to support another rinkydink minor league team. I will support local high school and college teams and an NFL team when we get one and we WILL get one!!!

fyatuk
03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Only one of those people you quoted is a "city official".

Also, it doesn't matter what the city officials think really, all that has to be done is a local owner has to invest money into the team and bam, SA has a team and word is a investor has already done so.

I'd assume the meeting with city officials is to see if the team can play at the dome.

Well, one I specified city offical and civilian leaders.

and 2, your count is wrong.

Jim Mery, Michael Sculley, and Philip Cortez are all city officials. Only Cortez is part of the City Council, but all have significant roles in the governance of our city, at least as it pertains to the UFL.

Richard Perez is the head of the Chamber of Commerce.

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Oh, yes, I don't get upset or argumentative over an aggressive person on the internet who states ridiculously wrong information, and has no interest in calm, factual, logical discourse, so I'm a waste of time ;)

Alrighty then.

No, fyatuk, I have no desire to spend endless time on someone who just wants to argue. I've already said it is your choice to support or not support another minor league team. I have absolutely, positively no desire to waste my time. It is also your right to make up lies. There is not a lie in any of my posts. You are just not smart enough to search out the information for yourself. Get mommy to help you out. See you around, kid. I've already spent too much time on this issue. Just go to the UFL games and you'll be happy!

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I totally agree Tex. This latest minor league football venture is doomed to pitifully fail. And I am very glad the powers that be at City Hall are against having this mess come to town. San Antonians want and deserve and most importantly can support NFL football. Anything else would be just a tremendous waste of time and money.

Thanks bresilhac. I'm going to leave it with you. Maybe you can knock some sense into a couple of these posters. :lol

fyatuk
03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
No, fyatuk, I have no desire to spend endless time on someone who just wants to argue. I've already said it is your choice to support or not support another minor league team. I have absolutely, positively no desire to waste my time. It is also your right to make up lies. There is not a lie in any of my posts. You are just not smart enough to search out the information for yourself. Get mommy to help you out. See you around, kid. I've already spent too much time on this issue. Just go to the UFL games and you'll be happy!

Lol.

Considering I never said you lied (only pointed out your ridiculous crack about the number of attendees), and you haven't shared any information I didn't already have (in fact, I have a lot more information than you've shared). I've researched all this thoroughly for articles I've written and had published.

You're the one who got aggressive and argumentative after I pointed out you were being ridiculous on that one part. I have also not lied a single time in my posts in this thread.

But have fun either way. If the UFL comes here, I'll gladly go with my friends and have a blast. I'm not trying to force anyone to go, just trying to clear up mis-statements and mis-understandings about the league and city.

Blake
03-04-2010, 05:38 PM
At the time it was not a viable option for many reasons including the NFL made it clear to Red he was not to move the team out of the Minny market. And when the city would not back the building of a new stadium he did the smart thing and sold the teams and cleared several hundred million dollars. Red is many things but, stupid he is not.

So you think the city right now would be willing to build a new stadium for an NFL owner?

and/or which owner do you currently think will get clearance from the NFL to move and is actually stupid enough to move his team into the Alamodome?

Several months ago Red was interviewed by Don Harris and he told Don that San Antonio would definitely support an NFL team. Hell, we even supported the Saints when they were only the Aint's!

Red has said that for a long time.....even before he owned the Vikings.

I will support local high school and college teams and an NFL team when we get one and we WILL get one!!!

when do you think we will get one?

Blake
03-04-2010, 05:40 PM
No, fyatuk, I have no desire to spend endless time on someone who just wants to argue...... I have absolutely, positively no desire to waste my time........I've already spent too much time on this issue.....

CubanMustGo
03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
No, fyatuk, I have no desire to spend endless time on someone who can rebut my sad excuses for an argument with actual stats, figures, and quotes . I've already said it is your choice to support or not support another minor league team. I have absolutely, positively no facts to base up my call for an NFL team. It is also your right to make up lies, but if you do, you'll be just like me. There is not an actual fact in any of my posts. You are too smart for me and making me look like a total moron. I asked mommy to help me out, but she told me to quit crying and admit defeat. See you around, kid. I've already been cornholed too much on this issue. Just go to the UFL games and you'll be happy, unlike me who will be crying over the NFL team that will never make it to San Antonio!

Buddy Holly
03-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Well, one I specified city offical and civilian leaders.

and 2, your count is wrong.

Jim Mery, Michael Sculley, and Philip Cortez are all city officials. Only Cortez is part of the City Council, but all have significant roles in the governance of our city, at least as it pertains to the UFL.

City employee is not the same as City Official.

Richard Perez is the head of the Chamber of Commerce.

The COC is not associated with city government.

Buddy Holly
03-04-2010, 10:27 PM
So you think the city right now would be willing to build a new stadium for an NFL owner?

Why does everyone act like the only way for stadiums to be built is by a city and WTF does that even mean?

and/or which owner do you currently think will get clearance from the NFL to move and is actually stupid enough to move his team into the Alamodome?

Probably an owner that knows the Dome would be a short stop gap before playing in a new stadium.

when do you think we will get one?

Tomorrow. Is that the correct answer?

fyatuk
03-04-2010, 10:38 PM
City employee is not the same as City Official.

Semantics. It's a fluid definition that differs from person to person and place to place. Their all important people within the city government. To me, they're high enough to be considered officials since they have a say in negotiations, etc.

If you have an official, legal definition that applies to San Antonio government, I'd love to see it.

The COC is not associated with city government.

Which is why that was a separate paragraph. I thought it was rather clear when I listed the first three as city people without giving departments, then had a separate paragraph for him.

I just figured people might not know the name, so I added the explanation of who he was, since I was giving more info on the others.

You're working to hard picking nits, man. Not even important crap, either.

Blake
03-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Why does everyone act like the only way for stadiums to be built is by a city and WTF does that even mean?

And when the city would not back the building of a new stadium he did the smart thing and sold the teams and cleared several hundred million dollars. Red is many things but, stupid he is not.

STR just said Red sold the Vikes because the city would not back the building of a new stadium. He said stupid he is not.

If San Antonio or Bexar County isn't in position to subsidize a new stadium, then how do you foresee a new stadium getting built here?

Probably an owner that knows the Dome would be a short stop gap before playing in a new stadium.

which owner?

Tomorrow. Is that the correct answer?

I was asking STR for his opinion.

But if you really think tomorrow is the day, then no, that would be incorrect.

AndyG
03-04-2010, 10:56 PM
I think people who think that we have a real chance to bring an NFL team to San Antonio are delusional. The NFL is just not interested. In order to get a team we first must at least have the financing to build a new stadium ; we don't and we don't have the equivalent of an Ed Roski who has commited to build a stadium in Los Angeles with his own money if he were allowed to purchase a piece of an NFL team.. If Red McCombs had the money and was willing to spend it he would of already done so. That leaves the taxpayers. Personally I don't think that will happen. No way will San Antonio build another stadium.
Also; the San Antonio market belongs to Jerry Jones; he may say otherwise but he would never support a team in San Antonio. He just wants to have a place where he can have a cheap camp and we oblige him of course; in return we can get autographs and watch the team practice.

Our best bet for a pro football team is not the NFL: but the UFL. We have to face that. We are a city like others in this nation that are sizeable but
for various reasons the NFL has bypassed us.

I enjoyed watching the UFL on Versus this past season I think that it is a good brand of football . You can call it minor league ; but most players have have played NFL and some have actually been stars.
Also the UFL has major financial backing and has a sound business plan unlike past leagues ; But; if it fails and they are done after a season what do we lose. The Alamodome as far as I know has operated in the red ; this is an opportunity to bring in more revenue. If they return in 2011 then that's even better the dome could have two tenants paying the bills.

If you don't want to go see the UFL fine; but at least allow those who do the opportunity to go watch pro football.

Buddy Holly
03-05-2010, 03:36 AM
Semantics. It's a fluid definition that differs from person to person and place to place. Their all important people within the city government. To me, they're high enough to be considered officials since they have a say in negotiations, etc.

Dude, they have no say in any negotiations. The only one would be the councilman and that would be in terms of negotiation the use of the Alamodome.

Again, there's a big difference between a city employee and a city official. It's not semantics.

If you have an official, legal definition that applies to San Antonio government, I'd love to see it.

Dude, a city official is someone elected into their position by voters of the city. The only person in that role that you quoted is the councilman. :bang

Buddy Holly
03-05-2010, 03:39 AM
STR just said Red sold the Vikes because the city would not back the building of a new stadium. He said stupid he is not.

If San Antonio or Bexar County isn't in position to subsidize a new stadium, then how do you foresee a new stadium getting built here?

Guy, there are other ways to fund the building of a stadium. Not just one.

which owner?

You asked a hypothetical. I answered with a hypothetical and now you want to know who? :rolleyes

Waldo from Where's Waldo. That's who.

But if you really think tomorrow is the day, then no, that would be incorrect.

Bummer. Something next week then?

fyatuk
03-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Dude, they have no say in any negotiations. The only one would be the councilman and that would be in terms of negotiation the use of the Alamodome.

Again, there's a big difference between a city employee and a city official. It's not semantics.

Which would be the important people in terms of the UFL....

Mery would be the primary contact for leasing the dome, etc.

Dude, a city official is someone elected into their position by voters of the city. The only person in that role that you quoted is the councilman. :bang

That would be an elected official. Portland, and many other places, count appointed people as officials. Most people consider Cabinet heads as US government officials, and they aren't elected.

How about the actual defintion of official: a person appointed or elected to an office or charged with certain duties. (dictionary.com)

Like I said, show me an official legal definition that applies to San Antonio to support yours, and I'll go with it. Unless you can do that, you're flat out wrong.

j-6
03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
I wish there was a viable spring league that started the week after March Madness ended.

AndyG
03-05-2010, 10:39 AM
I wish there was a viable spring league that started the week after March Madness ended.

The key word is viable. The UFL's and my research points to a pro football league even an alternative one needs to play in the Fall. From my personal point of view in the Spring and hopefully Summer I would rather watch the Spurs.

AndyG
03-05-2010, 10:43 AM

What money? The UFL won't cost us a cent;unless you go to the games.If by some miracle we ever get an NFL team that will cost everybody.

Blake
03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Guy, there are other ways to fund the building of a stadium. Not just one.

Of course there are. Name an owner willing to bring his team to San Antonio and find another another way to fund a new stadium.

You asked a hypothetical. I answered with a hypothetical and now you want to know who? :rolleyes

So you don't really know of any owners that see the Dome as a short stop gap before playing in a new stadium. Me neither.

Bummer. Something next week then?

Nope. Nothing in the forseeable future.

The truth can be a real bummer sometimes.

Buddy Holly
03-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Of course there are. Name an owner willing to bring his team to San Antonio and find another another way to fund a new stadium.

Why? It doesn't matter.

The discussion about the NFL to SA isn't whether a owner wants to move here or is planning on moving here, the discussion is about whether SA can support a NFL team and the answer to that is a resounding yes in every possible way.

So you don't really know of any owners that see the Dome as a short stop gap before playing in a new stadium. Me neither.

Seriously, no shit.

Nope. Nothing in the forseeable future.

The truth can be a real bummer sometimes.

Maybe next month then.

Blake
03-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Why? It doesn't matter.

The discussion about the NFL to SA isn't whether a owner wants to move here or is planning on moving here, the discussion is about whether SA can support a NFL team and the answer to that is a resounding yes in every possible way.

oh ok, then yeah, I'd agree with you, SA can support an NFL team.

Too bad it's a meaningless discussion.

Seriously, no shit.

+1

Maybe next month then.

na, I consider that the foreseeable future.

bummer.

cherylsteele
03-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Stick it up yours. I don't make things up, dude or are you a dudette? :ihit
Gee, such civility.:rolleyes

How about posting a link to show you point of view.

Here is an article I found:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowboys/UFL_eyes_San_Antonio_for_expansion.html

I'd rather have a UFL team than no team at all, if this league becomes viable later down the line and the city denies them now, it would not surprise me they go to Austin instead and we would be left out in the cold, getting in on the ground floor of this type of opporunity is not that bad. If we turn down this I think it would make getting an NFL team even harder. IMO of course.

fyatuk
03-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Brendan Rowe, Executive Director of Football Admin for the UFL toured the Alamodome yesterday.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/UFL_visits_Alamodome.html

And Jim Mery will no longer be in charge of booking the Alamodome. Marc Solis has been hired to run the Alamodome. Solis has been running the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi since 2004.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Alamodome_general_manager_selected.html

spursncowboys
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Why? It doesn't matter.

Seriously, no shit.

Maybe next month then.
1. why not have the discussion of which investors are willing to buy a team and then move it to SA?
2. who answered that question? you?

Buddy Holly
03-10-2010, 01:01 AM
1. why not have the discussion of which investors are willing to buy a team and then move it to SA?

Because it's a beyond hypothetical question with any discussion being merely opinionated drivel.

2. who answered that question? you?

Nope, the basic facts surrounding that question did. But honestly I wouldn't expect you to even remotely comprehend the term "facts."

fyatuk
03-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Latest MySA article: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/UTSA_Wolff_dont_want_UFL_team_in_SA.html

Title says it all. UTSA is scared of the UFL. Wolff is dismissive of it.

Castro wants to hear the pitch, but UTSA is numero uno priority.

DMX7
03-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Latest MySA article: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/UTSA_Wolff_dont_want_UFL_team_in_SA.html

Title says it all. UTSA is scared of the UFL. Wolff is dismissive of it.

Castro wants to hear the pitch, but UTSA is numero uno priority.

Thank god! UFL is shit.

DMX7
03-12-2010, 05:52 PM
http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2010/03/15/newscolumn1.html?jst=pn_pn_lk

fyatuk
03-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I saw that in the print version and couldn't find it online earlier. Thanks for the link!

exstatic
03-14-2010, 08:34 PM

The bottom line for any poster is if you want to support a UFL team it is no sweat off my back. There is a reason why there are so many auto manufacturers....so everyone has a choice basked on personal likes, money to spend, etc. I just have no desire to support another rinkydink minor league team. I will support local high school and college teams and an NFL team when we get one and we WILL get one!!!

Jerry Jones is one of the most powerful, if not THE most powerful owner, and I can tell you that he will NEVER support San Antonio having a team. Yes, I know what he's said about it. He lied. We are probably THE most pure play secondary market in the league. He's not giving that up. Ever.

bresilhac
03-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Jerry Jones is one of the most powerful, if not THE most powerful owner, and I can tell you that he will NEVER support San Antonio having a team. Yes, I know what he's said about it. He lied. We are probably THE most pure play secondary market in the league. He's not giving that up. Ever.

Wrong. Jones is not all that powerful as you make him out to be at all. While true, he may want to keep a team out of San Antonio for the purposes of hogging the market but that does not mean that the city will not be getting a team.

Jones has a lot of enemies around the league. And these owners would like nothing better than to stick it to Jones by placing a team right smack in his backyard. Besides this, San Antonio has what it takes to land and support a team on its own merits. Regardless of what Jones wants or thinks about it. Suffice it to say that the league and Commissioner Goodell will have the final say on the matter. Not Jones.

DMX7
03-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Wrong. Jones is not all that powerful as you make him out to be at all. While true, he may want to keep a team out of San Antonio for the purposes of hogging the market but that does not mean that the city will not be getting a team.

Jones has a lot of enemies around the league. And these owners would like nothing better than to stick it to Jones by placing a team right smack in his backyard. Besides this, San Antonio has what it takes to land and support a team on its own merits. Regardless of what Jones wants or thinks about it. Suffice it to say that the league and Commissioner Goodell will have the final say on the matter. Not Jones.

Yeah, it really comes down to Goodell and one owner willing to bring a team to San Antonio. The rest of the NFL would stop it if those two things are met.

Blake
03-15-2010, 09:23 AM

How much money do you think JJ would stand to lose if a team moved to San Antonio?

FuzzyLumpkins
03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Jerryworld fits 100K

Cowboys Stadium on gameday seats about 85k. They can go up to 100k but they lose alot of the amenities and have to put bleachers as close as possible to the field. They basically put seats wherever a seat in theory could go when they do that.

samikeyp
03-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Cowboys Stadium on gameday seats about 85k. They can go up to 100k but they lose alot of the amenities and have to put bleachers as close as possible to the field. They basically put seats wherever a seat in theory could go when they do that.

I know...which is why I said it fits 100k not seats. :toast

bresilhac
03-15-2010, 10:23 PM
http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2010/03/15/newscolumn1.html?jst=pn_pn_lk

I agree. This little minor league ufl thing needs San Antonio more than the city needs the ufl. San Antonio has been down this minor league road many times in the past and they've all ended one way. Failure. Total and absolute failure. So why should the ufl be any different than any minor league of the past? It isn't. It is doomed to fail like all the previous attempts to compete with the all-powerful NFL. Bailey hit it right on the head. San Antonio leaders should pass on this latest football fiasco and hold out for the NFL.

For those that couldn't read the full story when it appeared on 03/12/2010 in the SA Business Journal here is the full story that appeared today on the site.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2010/03/15/newscolumn1.html?b=1268625600^3015661

DMX7
03-15-2010, 11:48 PM
UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey on Monday told a United Football League official she's concerned expansion to San Antonio could hinder the Roadrunners' efforts to attract fans and sponsors for their fledgling football program.

Hickey described her hour-long meeting with UFL senior vice president Bill Peterson as a session “to learn about each other,” but she also made it clear to him she's troubled by the league's interest in San Antonio.

UTSA is set to begin play in 2011 at the Alamodome, a venue the UFL also hopes to call home. The UFL already shares stadiums with Sacramento State, UNLV and Connecticut and has a team in Orlando, Fla., home of Central Florida.

“Because we are a start-up program and don't have a fan base and sponsorships built up, I have concerns their timing of (possibly) coming here the year before we start could be another obstacle we'd have to work through,” Hickey said. “The other (schools) they've worked with have had programs for quite some time.”

Peterson declined comment.

Hickey also cast a wary eye at UFL talk of a marketing partnership.

“We did talk about looking at what NCAA rules allow us to do or not to do with a professional organization,” Hickey said. “My first take on it is we can't (partner with a pro team).”

One of UTSA's strongest allies, County Judge Nelson Wolff, is fearful the UFL would divert attention from the Roadrunners. He also said he thinks the UFL will fail.

“As community leaders, our primary responsibility when it comes to football is to rally around UTSA and make sure it has a good, strong program,” Wolff said last week.

At least two City Council members agreed.

“We've got to invest in things we think are going to be long term,” John Clamp from District 10 said. “I'm not sure the UFL is one of those.”

Reed Williams, whose District 8 includes UTSA, said he'd “be very concerned” if council doesn't scrutinize the UFL. He also said he wants UTSA to succeed at the dome to keep it from building a stadium in his district.

“We've got the infrastructure and the parking lots downtown,” Williams said. “I don't have them at the intersection of Hausman Road and Babcock.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/UFL_official_hears_UTSAs_concerns.html

AndyG
03-16-2010, 09:34 AM

I think you are wrong Jerry Jones is one of the most influential owners of the NFL. San Antonio will never get a team because 1) For relocation: A new expensive state of the art stadium will need to be built. SA taxpayers will not pay for it and we don't have any individual that will pay for it 2) NFL will not expand . The NFL is already the largest pro sports league; there isn't any financial incentive. 3) The San Antonio market already belongs to Jerry Jones; we host his camp and he allows the players to sign autographs
and we get to watch his team practice. That's it; all we get is crumbs from the NFL.
That said we should welcome the UFL team to this city they will at least appreciate it. And as I saw last season on Versus we will get a good quality brand of football. If they fail; so what? It won't cost us a cent. And they will pay to use the Alamdome; which has been in the red for years.The more tenants we have the better.

Dr. Gonzo
03-16-2010, 02:16 PM
UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey on Monday told a United Football League official she's concerned expansion to San Antonio could hinder the Roadrunners' efforts to attract fans and sponsors for their fledgling football program.

Hickey described her hour-long meeting with UFL senior vice president Bill Peterson as a session “to learn about each other,” but she also made it clear to him she's troubled by the league's interest in San Antonio.

UTSA is set to begin play in 2011 at the Alamodome, a venue the UFL also hopes to call home. The UFL already shares stadiums with Sacramento State, UNLV and Connecticut and has a team in Orlando, Fla., home of Central Florida.

“Because we are a start-up program and don't have a fan base and sponsorships built up, I have concerns their timing of (possibly) coming here the year before we start could be another obstacle we'd have to work through,” Hickey said. “The other (schools) they've worked with have had programs for quite some time.”

Peterson declined comment.

Hickey also cast a wary eye at UFL talk of a marketing partnership.

“We did talk about looking at what NCAA rules allow us to do or not to do with a professional organization,” Hickey said. “My first take on it is we can't (partner with a pro team).”

One of UTSA's strongest allies, County Judge Nelson Wolff, is fearful the UFL would divert attention from the Roadrunners. He also said he thinks the UFL will fail.

“As community leaders, our primary responsibility when it comes to football is to rally around UTSA and make sure it has a good, strong program,” Wolff said last week.

At least two City Council members agreed.

“We've got to invest in things we think are going to be long term,” John Clamp from District 10 said. “I'm not sure the UFL is one of those.”

Reed Williams, whose District 8 includes UTSA, said he'd “be very concerned” if council doesn't scrutinize the UFL. He also said he wants UTSA to succeed at the dome to keep it from building a stadium in his district.

“We've got the infrastructure and the parking lots downtown,” Williams said. “I don't have them at the intersection of Hausman Road and Babcock.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/UFL_official_hears_UTSAs_concerns.html

I thought the "big time D1 football team" wouldn't have a problem getting fans?

SPURattic
03-16-2010, 07:00 PM

I totally agree with John Clamp's statement. Help build UTSA Football now for a brighter future for our city tomorrow. I see a bleak future for the UFL, and will only hinder UTSA's pace to joining some great NCAA Football programs. We as a city should consider ourself flattered to be seen as a great football market by the UFL, and tell them, "Thank You, But No Thank You" for now. "Come back when you can prove to us you can help us gain a NFL caliber team and/or be an asset for UTSA to build a strong football program". Because right now the UFL needs us more than we need them.

As for The NFL, it is the only league that I see as long term. And San Antonio can support a team. But the league doesn't need to place a team here to cash in to our market, we are viable to the league. San Antonians purchase alot of NFL merchandies, majority of it is Cowboys crap. San Antonians purchase Cowboys game tickets, and take charter buses to Dallas for the Cowboys game. San Antonians help the NFL TV ratings for games, no matter what teams are playing , but especially follow The Cowboys. And don't forget the Super Bowl and NFL Network. Even the NFLPA is intrested in our market...

By Tom Orsborn (http://www.mysanantonio.com/email_us?contentID=85916017)- Express-News
A college all-star game planning a 2011 debut wants to call the Alamodome home.
The NFL Players Association will sponsor the game along with the same group that produces the Pro Football Hall of Fame Texas vs. the Nation game in El Paso.
“San Antonio is our first choice,” said Kenny Hansmire, president and chief executive officer of the Texas vs. The Nation game.
“San Antonio is a good union town, the largest union member town in the state of Texas, and the NFLPA is the union arm of the NFL.”
With the NFLPA involved, the game could draw several of the top draft prospects.
“San Antonio is a great sports city that really deserves an NFL team,” Hansmire said.
“If we can’t get an NFL team down there, we can at least hopefully get the future players of the NFL in San Antonio.”
Jim Mery, the city’s assistant director for convention, sports and entertainment facilities, confirmed that Hansmire has contacted the Alamodome about negotiating a lease agreement.
“The people at the Alamodome have been very good to work with, really first class,” Hansmire said.
Hansmire said the target date for the game is Feb. 4 or 5 and that the NFLPA is expected to negotiate broadcasting rights with Fox.
“We’re hopeful that some of the player representatives like Drew Brees and Peyton Manning will come down to help promote the game,” Hansmire said.
The game’s format hasn’t been determined yet, Hansmire said.
“We’re not sure yet whether the new game will be an East-West format, or North-South or Big 12 versus the nation,” he said.

Perhaps if San Antonians countinue this path of merely whining about not having a team. The NFL may allow us to host a Pro Bowl if only to help countinue to build us up as Dallas' secondary market. And as a bonus, Jerry Jones might even bless us with more Cowboys Training Camps, WOW...

As for me, I will not grovel to the NFL and Jerry Jones. Since the days when we hosted The Saints in their time of need. I recall the then NFL Commissioner Taglibue dismiss the San Antonio market, he wasn't even present at any of the Saints games at the Alamodome. Not even a THANK YOU to the fans who supported and attended the Saints games. Since then I have never purchased an NFL merchandise, game ticket or attended a Cowboys Training Camp.

I'm tired of people analyzing why we don't have a team. People whining about not having a team. And blaming Jerry Jones. The NFL doesn't need to place a team here for us to root for, because we went out and got a team to root for. The Cowgirls, I mean Cowboys. The NFL and Jerry saw a market to cash in without even playing a game there. We did this to ourselves. When we as a city stop caring about the NFL and/or Cowboys, and care about our community such as UTSA we will move away from the Cowboys shadow and become a bright market that will attract intrest from other NFL franchises. Ownership, stadiums, and investments in our community will all fall in place over time and on there own.

San Antonians should do the same as me. Boycott the Cowboys Stores, stop buying NFL Merchandise, Game Tickets, and riding Charter Buses. Demand the City to stop hosting Cowboys Training Camps. When the NFL sees this, it is then when the NFL will miss and want us.

Untill then, I will merely watch a few free NFL games on TV and wait for the NFL to come to me. San Antonio is growing market and it is inevitable that San Antonio will become a World Class Sports City... I'd like to hear back from others, if you have any ideas in growing a movement towards freeing San Antonio from the Cowboys clutches. Start some kind of movement to help San Antonio get their own team.

spursncowboys
03-16-2010, 10:17 PM
great take. I agree 100%

DMX7
03-16-2010, 10:51 PM
great take. I agree 100%

Yeah, but it doesn't have anything to do with whether we'll actually get a team. He may not want that, but he doesn't have command over what the rest of the league wants. His influence may be to push away from giving us a team but if the league wanted to, it could easily do it anyway. We just have to give them enough reason to come here (which isn't easy).

What we have to do:

1.)find a way to get a new $500 million dollar stadium built
2.) convince them we a an NFL ready market
3.) find an owner willing to relocate a team here or start one via expansion

bresilhac
03-17-2010, 02:34 AM

I totally agree with John Clamp's statement. Help build UTSA Football now for a brighter future for our city tomorrow. I see a bleak future for the UFL, and will only hinder UTSA's pace to joining some great NCAA Football programs. We as a city should consider ourself flattered to be seen as a great football market by the UFL, and tell them, "Thank You, But No Thank You" for now. "Come back when you can prove to us you can help us gain a NFL caliber team and/or be an asset for UTSA to build a strong football program". Because right now the UFL needs us more than we need them.

As for The NFL, it is the only league that I see as long term. And San Antonio can support a team. But the league doesn't need to place a team here to cash in to our market, we are viable to the league. San Antonians purchase alot of NFL merchandies, majority of it is Cowboys crap. San Antonians purchase Cowboys game tickets, and take charter buses to Dallas for the Cowboys game. San Antonians help the NFL TV ratings for games, no matter what teams are playing , but especially follow The Cowboys. And don't forget the Super Bowl and NFL Network. Even the NFLPA is intrested in our market...

By Tom Orsborn (http://www.mysanantonio.com/email_us?contentID=85916017)- Express-News
A college all-star game planning a 2011 debut wants to call the Alamodome home.
The NFL Players Association will sponsor the game along with the same group that produces the Pro Football Hall of Fame Texas vs. the Nation game in El Paso.
“San Antonio is our first choice,” said Kenny Hansmire, president and chief executive officer of the Texas vs. The Nation game.
“San Antonio is a good union town, the largest union member town in the state of Texas, and the NFLPA is the union arm of the NFL.”
With the NFLPA involved, the game could draw several of the top draft prospects.
“San Antonio is a great sports city that really deserves an NFL team,” Hansmire said.
“If we can’t get an NFL team down there, we can at least hopefully get the future players of the NFL in San Antonio.”
Jim Mery, the city’s assistant director for convention, sports and entertainment facilities, confirmed that Hansmire has contacted the Alamodome about negotiating a lease agreement.
“The people at the Alamodome have been very good to work with, really first class,” Hansmire said.
Hansmire said the target date for the game is Feb. 4 or 5 and that the NFLPA is expected to negotiate broadcasting rights with Fox.
“We’re hopeful that some of the player representatives like Drew Brees and Peyton Manning will come down to help promote the game,” Hansmire said.
The game’s format hasn’t been determined yet, Hansmire said.
“We’re not sure yet whether the new game will be an East-West format, or North-South or Big 12 versus the nation,” he said.

Perhaps if San Antonians countinue this path of merely whining about not having a team. The NFL may allow us to host a Pro Bowl if only to help countinue to build us up as Dallas' secondary market. And as a bonus, Jerry Jones might even bless us with more Cowboys Training Camps, WOW...

As for me, I will not grovel to the NFL and Jerry Jones. Since the days when we hosted The Saints in their time of need. I recall the then NFL Commissioner Taglibue dismiss the San Antonio market, he wasn't even present at any of the Saints games at the Alamodome. Not even a THANK YOU to the fans who supported and attended the Saints games. Since then I have never purchased an NFL merchandise, game ticket or attended a Cowboys Training Camp.

I'm tired of people analyzing why we don't have a team. People whining about not having a team. And blaming Jerry Jones. The NFL doesn't need to place a team here for us to root for, because we went out and got a team to root for. The Cowgirls, I mean Cowboys. The NFL and Jerry saw a market to cash in without even playing a game there. We did this to ourselves. When we as a city stop caring about the NFL and/or Cowboys, and care about our community such as UTSA we will move away from the Cowboys shadow and become a bright market that will attract intrest from other NFL franchises. Ownership, stadiums, and investments in our community will all fall in place over time and on there own.

San Antonians should do the same as me. Boycott the Cowboys Stores, stop buying NFL Merchandise, Game Tickets, and riding Charter Buses. Demand the City to stop hosting Cowboys Training Camps. When the NFL sees this, it is then when the NFL will miss and want us.

Untill then, I will merely watch a few free NFL games on TV and wait for the NFL to come to me. San Antonio is growing market and it is inevitable that San Antonio will become a World Class Sports City... I'd like to hear back from others, if you have any ideas in growing a movement towards freeing San Antonio from the Cowboys clutches. Start some kind of movement to help San Antonio get their own team.

Agreed. I've been trying to make people around here aware that they've been swindled by the Dallas Cowboys for years now to no avail. You're right, football fans here buy up Cowboy merchandise and watch their games with great enthusiasm which is a shame and a sham. And I also agree with the fact that the Cowboys should hold their training camps somewhere other than San Antonio. I don't know if boycotting their wares is the answer though. I would say that San Antonio will continue to support the Cowboys because there is no other viable alternative.

Although, very similar to San Antonio, Phoenix was a Dallas Cowboy stronghold for a long time also but eventually got their own franchise. And so I think it will be with San Antonio. Eventually the league will realize, if it hasn't already, that San Antonio is truly a viable spot for NFL football and allow a team to be placed here.

And these posters on here that credit Jones with having so much power that he could actually prevent the league from placing a team here is so totally ridiculous that it's nauseating. Jones is one man. There are 31 other owners with opinions of their own and votes of their own when it comes to allowing an expansion or another team to relocate. If Jones had the actual power that some of these fearful souls credit him with the Texans would never had been allowed to come into existence.

samikeyp
03-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Agreed. I've been trying to make people around here aware that they've been swindled by the Dallas Cowboys for years now to no avail. You're right, football fans here buy up Cowboy merchandise and watch their games with great enthusiasm which is a shame and a sham. And I also agree with the fact that the Cowboys should hold their training camps somewhere other than San Antonio. I don't know if boycotting their wares is the answer though. I would say that San Antonio will continue to support the Cowboys because there is no other viable alternative.

Although, very similar to San Antonio, Phoenix was a Dallas Cowboy stronghold for a long time also but eventually got their own franchise. And so I think it will be with San Antonio. Eventually the league will realize, if it hasn't already, that San Antonio is truly a viable spot for NFL football and allow a team to be placed here.

And these posters on here that credit Jones with having so much power that he could actually prevent the league from placing a team here is so totally ridiculous that it's nauseating. Jones is one man. There are 31 other owners with opinions of their own and votes of their own when it comes to allowing an expansion or another team to relocate. If Jones had the actual power that some of these fearful souls credit him with the Texans would never had been allowed to come into existence.

I am a Cowboys fan from San Antonio and my support of them is neither a shame or a sham. No one tricked or duped me. I became a fan by choice. I am curious, some people in SA support the Texans in the same way or the same reasons that others support the Cowboys...is there support equally a shame and a sham..or is it just Cowboys fans and just because they are fans of a team which you hate? ;)

That being said, I agree with you (and have on several occasions) about SA being able to support an NFL football team. There is nothing wrong with people in San Antonio supporting the Cowboys or Texans or Redskins or anyone else. SA doesn't have a team so why not root for who you want? If things change and San Antonio gets a team both you and I have said on this board that the new team would be our #1 team...I would imagine there would be others who did the same. People in SA have been fans of Dallas and Houston (Oilers and Texans) because we had no hometown team to root for. That doesn't make their fandom a sham. This whole argument of "you can only root for a team from your city" is crap (not that you have said that, because I don't think you have) Fans in SA have had no choice but to look elsewhere and I firmly believe that if San Antonio got a team, the people there would have no problem supporting it.

samikeyp
03-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Also, I agree with you about Jerry Jones. I think he carries some weight among the NFL owners but with all the issues he has had with the NFL, I doubt he has any pull with the commissioner's office.

exstatic
03-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah, but it doesn't have anything to do with whether we'll actually get a team. He may not want that, but he doesn't have command over what the rest of the league wants. His influence may be to push away from giving us a team but if the league wanted to, it could easily do it anyway. We just have to give them enough reason to come here (which isn't easy).

What we have to do:

1.)find a way to get a new $500 million dollar stadium built
2.) convince them we a an NFL ready market
3.) find an owner willing to relocate a team here or start one via expansion

Coupla things working against SA in your list. The NFL has enough shaky franchises that they won't be expanding anytime soon. Also, there's NO WAY IN HELL that another stadium is being built in SA without a team here first. We got burned once already. There are teams with bad stadiums where the A-Dome would actually be a step up, like J-ville or SD. You'd have to try to lure one of them to play in the A-Dome for a couple of years. I think at that point, a new stadium could pass a vote. Not likely to happen, though.

fyatuk
03-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Latest UFL article from Orsborn"http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Bradley_supports_UFL_in_San_Antonio.html

Basically states nothing new, except Bradley wants to be HC.

bresilhac
03-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Latest UFL article from Orsborn"http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Bradley_supports_UFL_in_San_Antonio.html

Basically states nothing new, except Bradley wants to be HC.

Essentially the governmental powers that be around here are dead set against this fledgling league. Also included in the nay group is UTSA. This league is not a viable NFL replacement nor will it ever be. For San Antonio or anybody else. The best course of action for San Antonio to take as well as UTSA is to tell this fly-by-night outfit to go away.

fyatuk
03-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Eh? Nothing they've said has given me the impression they are dead set against the UFL. Most of the people that have been quoted in the city government have said they wanted to hear what the UFL has to say. Others seem to focus primarily on the city not wasting money on it.

Obviously they're skeptical, but they've hardly shown a "dead set against" attitude. Even UTSA's attitude has seemed more of a "I'd rather not, but I'll do it if I have to" attitude more than dead set againt.

Also, the UFL is obviously not fly-by-night, at least not in the typical use of it. They've already played one season, will play another, have paid fair prices for everything, etc.

bresilhac
03-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Eh? Nothing they've said has given me the impression they are dead set against the UFL. Most of the people that have been quoted in the city government have said they wanted to hear what the UFL has to say. Others seem to focus primarily on the city not wasting money on it.

Obviously they're skeptical, but they've hardly shown a "dead set against" attitude. Even UTSA's attitude has seemed more of a "I'd rather not, but I'll do it if I have to" attitude more than dead set againt.

Also, the UFL is obviously not fly-by-night, at least not in the typical use of it. They've already played one season, will play another, have paid fair prices for everything, etc.

If I read you right Fyatuk, you're actually in favor of this money losing mess coming to San Antonio? I'm surprised. And yes the league did hold it's inaugural season last year but it was unmitigated failure. Attendance and support for the measley few teams in the league was a joke and the league absolutely hemmoraged millions of dollars.

So this risky venture would actually benefit San Antonio and UTSA in some way? Hmm. I don't see it.

fyatuk
03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, I am in favor of it. No, I don't think it will last longer than another season or two (or at least odds are it won't, even though I want it to).

unmitigated is incorrect. Their losses and attendence in LV and Orlando were just slightly below what they expected, and they were experimenting with a lot of things. They never expected the first season to be a "success" as most people would judge it, but it helped them figure out what works and what doesn't so they can apply it to the next season. Since that was the goal of last year, they judge it as a moderate success.

They didn't hemmorage money, because that money was already set aside to be lost.

And I didn't say it would bring any benefits to San Antonio. I've scoffed at the UFL's argument of 30 jobs and $10 million in outside money being any sort of benefit.

The only benefit comes from managing the Alamodome's costs. Another tenant for a building that has bled red ink since the AT&T Center opened, and a tenant that has proved willing to spend money updating the facilities they use. If the UFL succeeds (a big if, and highly doubtful), you have a tenant willing to help us keep the Alamodome up to date, or even improve it so we can, say, get the Final Four back, etc.

The UFL has also expressed a desire to form as strong of a working relationship with UTSA as NCAA regulations allow (which I have no idea what that would be). They certainly want to support UTSA, as they do with all the colleges in the towns they are in.

The UFL, as far as anyone can tell, has paid fair prices for everything they've used and been a good resident in the cities they've called home. They strive to create an affordable, family friendly environment for their games, and truly want to be integrated into the community besides being "the football team." Personality wise, the UFL is an excellent fit for San Antonio.

So, it won't cost the city a dime to let the UFL play here, and could very well have real benefits for the dome (though I find it more likely the dome would just break even).

I doubt there will be much fighting over fans between UTSA and the UFL (aiming for different demographics, for the most part), and there probably won't be much overlap in the sponsors they go for either. The UFL is more likely to be competing with the Rampage and Silver Stars for sponsors than UTSA.

I just don't see any real downside to letting them play here. All the risks are on the UFL's side, not the city's.

jb4g
03-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Has anyone considered Alamo Stadium? SS&E wants to take over control, remodel, and place a mls team there, why not buy a stake in the ufl and have both??? seats 25k, perfect size for both leagues.

fyatuk
03-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Has anyone considered Alamo Stadium? SS&E wants to take over control, remodel, and place a mls team there, why not buy a stake in the ufl and have both??? seats 25k, perfect size for both leagues.

"Take over control" is not entirely accurate, neither is MLS. The Spurs want the booking rights for when SAISD is not using the stadium (aka outside of football season), and what's been talked about has been USL1, not MLS. MLS hasn't really been talked about since the Alamodome fiasco.

There also is the time frame issue. The UFL plays on Fridays and Saturdays in the fall. Since Alamo Stadium is SAISD's primary stadium, it has a LOT of games booked there in the fall and it's unlikely it could fit the UFL without moving some HS games.

A possible solution to that might be to work UIW into the deal to move a game or two a week to Benson Stadium (will have 6k+ seating by fall), but I doubt they'd agree and I'm not sure how feasible that is, anyway.

Of course, if the UFL works out, I expect SSE will end up with at least a share of the UFL team. I keep waiting to see SSE buy the Missions. Holt wants to control SA's sporting world! MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

jb4g
03-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I didnt realize the Spurs were looking at minor league soccer, I automatically assumed MLS...my fault. I hope something can be worked out, Alamo stadium is a treasure that needs to be saved. Im sure if someone stepped forward to assist with the costs, say a UFL team for instance, the district would be willing to work with them on dates. Whats the alternative, do nothing and watch the stadium face the wrecking ball one day??

Its too bad we pissed of MLS.....would be a fabulous venue for soccer with the city skyline in the background.

fyatuk
03-19-2010, 11:43 AM
The UFL isn't in position to offer enough to appreciably affect the renovation plans. The stadium needs $30mil in work, at least. If the Spurs get their managerial contract, they'll probably contribute a little, but most of that is going to have to come from a bond for the school district (and they're working on a large bond to pay for renovations of a lot of facilities). The UFL would be able to contribute a little bit, and would gladly do so if it meant they had a place to play.

It might be more likely the UFL rents someplace from SAISD as a practice facility and those funds get funneled to the Alamo Stadium refurbish.

I agree that the money needs to come from somewhere as soon as possible, though. I'd hate to see Alamo Stadium get lost.

And yeah, I'd love to see MLS here, even though I'm not a soccer fan. That Alamodome deal for them was horse dung, though, so I'm glad that got killed. It's a shame they got their panties in such a wad over it, though.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Report: UFL wants NFL to invest
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 19, 2010 1:10 PM ET
Last month we mentioned that rumors were flying in the pro football world that the NFL recently tried to buy the UFL. The NFL denied that it had done so.

Today Chris Mortensen of ESPN has a report saying that the UFL wants the NFL to become an investor.

According to Mortensen, the latest proposal from the UFL is to sell a 30 percent stake to the NFL. But that proposal has not reached a point where it will be discussed at next week's NFL owners' meeting.

Mortensen writes that sources disagree on whether a deal is likely or not.

Although Mortensen writes that there's no word on how much the UFL would expect the NFL to pay for a 30 percent stake, the rumors we passed along last month were that the NFL offered $50 million for 51 percent of the one-year-old minor league, and the UFL responded by offering 49 percent for $49 million.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, who said last month that the rumor of the NFL trying to buy the UFL was "flat wrong," told Mortensen, "We decline to comment."

It doesn't look like this is going to be a money losing venture.

KEep in mind the NFL has shown a desire to have a development league in the past. The UFL is marketing itself as such.

frankstanks2
03-22-2010, 07:03 PM
At it's state right now, why would the NFL want to buy into the league? It's a money losing asset. If they wanted a minor league, wouldn't they just start one up. I mean I could see this in a few years, but right now the UFL is nothing.

fyatuk
03-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Well, the point would be that the infrastructure, etc, would already be set up. It'd probably be more cost effective to buy out the UFL than to start one from scratch.

AndyG
03-23-2010, 10:10 PM
There has been rumors of the NFL wanting to get control of the UFL by offering to buy a 51% share; also rumors about the NFL Network broadcasting UFL games this Fall, and the now Mortensen story. There seems to be interest by the NFL ; despite the 30 million dollar expected loss. Some NFL teams have also seen the advantage of having the UFL ;by signing players that are game ready at the end of the UFL season. So it very possible that a deal can be worked out that would benefit both leagues.
I'm not convinced of the UFL survival ; but that has nothing to do with the UFL having a positive effect by paying its bills at the Alamodome.
I do however belief they have a business plan that gives it a better chance of succeeding than previous leagues.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Phoenix Az has more Cowboys fns than the Cards.

That's just because Phoenix has tons of Mexicans and it's in beaner blood to be a bandwagon Cowboys fan.

lol Buddy Holly getting pissed at anyone in this thread who doesn't agree with his fantasy that San Antonio is actually a nice city people want to visit.

AndyG
03-24-2010, 06:50 PM
I guess this message board allows racist stuff.

Buddy Holly
03-25-2010, 12:28 AM
lol Buddy Holly getting pissed at anyone in this thread who doesn't agree with his fantasy that San Antonio is actually a nice city people want to visit.

What? You're such a racist moron.

When did tourism come into conversation in this thread, dumbass? Oh, you just needed something to call back on so you could segway into dissing San Antonio, even if that something was made up. Bravo.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-25-2010, 12:30 AM
What? You such a moron.

lol irony.

Buddy Holly
03-25-2010, 12:32 AM
lol irony.

Oh noes, you got me. Not much to do in Phoenix or something? Nah, too easy.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Oh noes, you got me. Not much to do in Phoenix or something? Nah, too easy.

How's the nsync forum going?