PDA

View Full Version : Lebron vs Melo

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-19-2010, 11:02 AM
This isn't a thread about comparing their games. It is obvious Lebron is an another level.

This is all about how the handle the game. They are obviously both very competitive but they handle themselves in totally different ways.

In the game last night, when Lebron hit a big shot he would be all straight faced and serious, but Melo would be smiling at Lebron acknowledging what a good shot it was.

Melo would hit a big shot and he would be smiling but Lebron would be all ticked. I thought it was funny how different they handle their games. I have sometimes criticised Melo was being to relaxed when losing or playing bad, but i guess it is just his personality.

Phillip
02-19-2010, 11:08 AM
they are both amazing players. carmello might be the most versatile, natural scorer that the NBA has ever seen. he makes things just seem so easy. hes more skilled than Lebron, no question. but i think the difference between him and lebron is like the difference between MJ and Kobe (kobe also being the more skilled over MJ)... the mental aspect. Lebron has a greater and stronger desire to win IMO than Carmello (not saying Carmello doesnt care, just not as much as Lebron, and same for Kobe, who clearly hates losing, but not as much as MJ did)

if Carmello had the drive that Lebron or MJ has/had... he has the potential to be the best basketball player ever.

picc84
02-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Melo isnt more skilled than Lebron.

hater
02-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Lebron can't guard Melo 1-1. Melo will always win that battle.

hater
02-19-2010, 11:17 AM

Melo is a more skilled scorer than Lebron. Lebron is more skilled at everything else.

Phillip
02-19-2010, 11:18 AM

tell me you are joking

im as big of a lebron fan as anyone, but there is pretty much nothing that Melo cannot do on offense. he can shoot inside, outside, finish with contact, high post offense, triple threat position offense, low post offense, take defenders with the dribble, fantastic footwork... the dude is amazing.

like i said, i think lebron just has a greater desire, a level of desire that carmello doesnt have.

Phillip
02-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Lebron can't guard Melo 1-1. Melo will always win that battle.

Melo cant guard Lebron 1-1 either. They are pretty much a wash, but like I said, I give the edge to Lebron because he has a greater desire to win. as the OP said... when Lebron hit a shot, Carmello was laughing about it (which is a nice attitude and an attitude that I wish everyone could have, but unfortunately those nice attitudes dont work that well in the NBA). However, when Carmello hit a shot, Lebron was pissed as hell, and all he cared about was finding a way to get a score on the other end to get the win.

picc84
02-19-2010, 11:22 AM
tell me you are joking

im as big of a lebron fan as anyone, but there is pretty much nothing that Melo cannot do on offense. he can shoot inside, outside, finish with contact, high post offense, triple threat position offense, low post offense, take defenders with the dribble, fantastic footwork... the dude is amazing.

Lebron does all of that too.

His offensive game has pretty much gotten better every single year. All he needed to complete himself was a consistent jumpshot and he's done that now.

I will say that Melo is a better pure jumpshooter than Lebron is, but offensively thats the only thing you can give him. Lebron is either equal or better at everything else involved on the offensive side of the floor.

hater
02-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Melo cant guard Lebron 1-1 either. They are pretty much a wash, but like I said, I give the edge to Lebron because he has a greater desire to win. as the OP said... when Lebron hit a shot, Carmello was laughing about it (which is a nice attitude and an attitude that I wish everyone could have, but unfortunately those nice attitudes dont work that well in the NBA). However, when Carmello hit a shot, Lebron was pissed as hell, and all he cared about was finding a way to get a score on the other end to get the win.

it's not only desire. Lebron is way better at everything else that is not 1-1 scoring.

passing
defense
rebounding
blocks
play-making
etc
etc
etc

Melo plays in an island. That is his bigger flaw. That is why Melo will never be top 3 player in the league.

Killakobe81
02-19-2010, 11:38 AM
From The OC today (via TrueHoop)

The best player in the NBA sat during the Celtics-Lakers game Thursday night. Can't blame him. By then, LeBron James had scored 43 points and added 15 assists and 13 rebounds. Poor fella had to be exhausted. Sorry, Lakers fans, but the best player in the league today isn't your guy. Is there anyone other than Kobe Bryant we'd rather have with the ball at the end of a game waiting to be won? No. Is there anyone better suited than title-tested Bryant to lead these Lakers on another postseason run? No. Is there anyone more polished than Bryant at the art of rescuing unexpected victory from looming defeat? No. But is there anyone in the NBA better than LeBron James right now? No. No. And -- say this one with extra-special emphasis -- no! Breathe deep, Kobe Nation. We know you get a little defensive when it comes to questions about Bryant's status as a living bronze statue. And recall that just a few weeks ago Bryant was anointed as 'unguardable' in this very space. If there's a word that pays greater homage to a basketball player, we've never heard it. But still, James scores more, assists more and rebounds more. He blocks more shots and shoots field goals more accurately, even three-pointers."

I agree with MOST of this ... EXCEPT the 3 point shots ...yes his % is better but I would pay to watch Lebron jack up 3's like he did at the end of the game last night.

Something about when and the WAY he shoots them fading ackwards that bugs me ...

But as the writer states Lebron scores more, rebounds more blocks more shots (though I still think when motivated Kobe is STILL the better defender)

Lebron has passed Kobe (not by whole lot) but it IS tangible. All he needs to do is show it by winning a ring. He HAS the cast now lead them to the promise land at LEast twice ...and the CROWN will be RIGHTFULLY his and his alone.

As a side note even though i would take A lebron drive over ANY basketball play ...I still rather have Melo or Kobe SHOOT with the game on the line ...like the writer states here.

Posted in another thread i think you could swap out Koe with Melo and the premise: Lebron is the best player ...and the QUALIFIER : you would STILL rather have Melo take the LAST shot applies ...

Pure Scoring Melo has no peer (maybe Kobe still and durant soon) he just has more scoing weapons in his arsenal ....

But a lebron drive ESPECIALLY with the calls he gets is basketballs most dominant weapon today. It is one of the alltime best along with the Jordan's elbow jumper, Hakeem's dream shake, the kobe fade, Timmy's bank shot, and Shaq's power dunk and Kareem's sky hook.

Phillip
02-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Lebron does all of that too.

His offensive game has pretty much gotten better every single year. All he needed to complete himself was a consistent jumpshot and he's done that now.

I will say that Melo is a better pure jumpshooter than Lebron is, but offensively thats the only thing you can give him. Lebron is either equal or better at everything else involved on the offensive side of the floor.

I think Melo is a better jumpshooter, and has better and more natural post-up moves still. But I think Lebron is definitely the better basketball player. No question about that.

Phillip
02-19-2010, 11:40 AM
it's not only desire. Lebron is way better at everything else that is not 1-1 scoring.

passing
defense
rebounding
blocks
play-making
etc
etc
etc

Melo plays in an island. That is his bigger flaw. That is why Melo will never be top 3 player in the league.

I pretty much agree with all that. But if Melo had the desire that Lebron has, I don't think theres any question that he can do all those other things quite well too. He has proven he can be a beastly rebounder, solid passer, tough defender and all, but just doesnt utilize it much. Which is obviously why Lebron is better, and the best player in the NBA.

resistanze
02-19-2010, 11:41 AM
I laughed when I saw the box score on my iphone:

Team Leaders:
Pts: James 42
Rebs: James 13
Asts: James 15
Stls: James 2
Blks: James 4

Sportcamper
02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
LeBron is a beast...He is like Karl Malone on steroids...

Killakobe81
02-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Lebron is like Magic on steroids with a bit of young grant hill mixed in ...

Killakobe81
02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
BUt i am not overreacting to last night thought that BEFORE his sick game ...

But last night also showed the flaws ...

Back to back 3's he took were both bad shots and was "bailing out" the Nuggs ...goo dthing Verejao got some of them back ...

Late he is till not the guy you want shooting the and one "fullback drive" play is what you want ...hell Melo though improved was guarding you!!! DRIVE LEBRON no one can stop you 1 on 1 !!!

Melo had no problem hitting that "j" in his eye.

Even with all the assists it is still 4 down lebron up top down the stretch FAR too often (i blame Brown more than Lebron)...at LEAST Denver has chauncey and JR smith to hit a few key plays ...

But that was one of the best all around games I have seen too bad it came in a loss ..to reminiscent of Last years ECF ...

picc84
02-19-2010, 11:54 AM
No one can stop Melo one on one from scoring. You just have to hope he misses.

Bron doesnt make the best decisions in the clutch sometimes, but thats probably the only flaw. And its not even a real flaw. He's clutch as hell still. Lebron is the best player in the nba and its not really debatable.

Killakobe81
02-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I wonder where all the Kobe haters will do no wthat most Laker fans are AGREEING Lebron is the best player in the NBA?

There are a few that are waiting for the title for validation but he is getting caled a beast, the best all sround player, unstoppable.

i guess IF lebron doesnt win it all... questions will remain but world's greatest player status is there for the taking ...and so far (regular season he has took it)

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Melo's J is automatic. Lebron looks weird when he shoots.

8FOR!3
02-19-2010, 12:30 PM
LeBron James is more well rounded everywhere else, Carmelo Anthony is the better scorer. LeBron is also the better athlete. Your Nuggets are doing work today though.

Phonzie20
02-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Melo is pretty pompous himself. I have a sneaking suspicion that he smiles to cover for frustration. He got a lot of heat from bandwagon Nuggets fans for years. I think it's just how he copes in the moment.

Bron IS being a jerk lately but at least we didn't have to see him dance last night.

Phonzie20
02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
LeBron James is more well rounded everywhere else, Carmelo Anthony is the better scorer. LeBron is also the better athlete. Your Nuggets are doing work today though.

There is no question Bron is the better athlete. The guy is a freak of nature.

JoeTait75
02-19-2010, 01:29 PM
As a pure scorer? Yeah, Carmelo is ahead of LeBron. The only guy in the Association who is even close to Carmelo's level as a scorer is Kevin Durant.

As good of a scorer as LeBron is, I really don't consider that to be the best part of his game. It's the way he can dominate an opponent and be by far the best player on the floor while only taking 8-10 shots and maybe only scoring 12-15 points.

Actually, despite his ridiculous line, LeBron didn't play all that well last night. He over-dominated the ball and his shot selection left something to be desired.

Carmelo, on the other hand, has to score to be great IMO. That's not a knock- it's just that his overwhelming strength is as a scorer.

NugzFan
02-19-2010, 01:49 PM
This isn't a thread about comparing their games. It is obvious Lebron is an another level.

This is all about how the handle the game. They are obviously both very competitive but they handle themselves in totally different ways.

In the game last night, when Lebron hit a big shot he would be all straight faced and serious, but Melo would be smiling at Lebron acknowledging what a good shot it was.

Melo would hit a big shot and he would be smiling but Lebron would be all ticked. I thought it was funny how different they handle their games. I have sometimes criticised Melo was being to relaxed when losing or playing bad, but i guess it is just his personality.

nice observation/post.

Delonte West
02-19-2010, 06:37 PM
After yesterdays ima have to say Melo is a better shooter. Everythin else LeBron is better.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Melo is a more skilled scorer than Lebron. Lebron is more skilled at everything else.

/thread

Melo has more offensive moves, a better jumper, and a better post game. James is a better ball handler, passer, rebounder etc.

Killakobe81
02-19-2010, 06:41 PM
As a pure scorer? Yeah, Carmelo is ahead of LeBron. The only guy in the Association who is even close to Carmelo's level as a scorer is Kevin Durant.

As good of a scorer as LeBron is, I really don't consider that to be the best part of his game. It's the way he can dominate an opponent and be by far the best player on the floor while only taking 8-10 shots and maybe only scoring 12-15 points.

Actually, despite his ridiculous line, LeBron didn't play all that well last night. He over-dominated the ball and his shot selection left something to be desired.

Carmelo, on the other hand, has to score to be great IMO. That's not a knock- it's just that his overwhelming strength is as a scorer.

Great summation ...joe. I would add Kobe in that class as a scorer ...

As a pure athlete and all-around specimen and player lebron has no peer