PDA

View Full Version : Trade for Jared Jeffries?

chazley
02-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Why did the Spurs not get in on this deal, good lord. We had plenty of expiring contracts that the Knicks covet, and we could've fleeced their next two first round draft picks from them almost completely unprotected. Not to mention, Jeffries would've been the athletic defensive wing that this team needs so badly.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

At least we get to let our expiring contracts walk away this summer and we won't even get any cap relief from them.

eyeh8u
02-19-2010, 03:23 PM
bosh next season

Mhak
02-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Lol he is a scrub!!!!!

chazley
02-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Lol he is a scrub!!!!!

No he's not. He can be a great pickup for a playoff team with the type of game he plays. However, he wouldn't even be the biggest thing we would get out of it, we would get two HIGH draft picks to go with our own for the next two drafts, not to mention next year we could've packaged RJ (huge expriring) and one of those picks and gotten a STAR. Whatever.

Mhak
02-19-2010, 03:29 PM
No he's not. He can be a great pickup for a playoff team with the type of game he plays. However, he wouldn't even be the biggest thing we would get out of it, we would get two HIGH draft picks to go with our own for the next two drafts, not to mention next year we could've packaged RJ (huge expriring) and one of those picks and gotten a STAR. Whatever.

YES HE IS!!! What have you seen that impress you the most. 'nough said..

chazley
02-19-2010, 03:29 PM
YES HE IS!!! What have you seen that impress you the most. 'nough said..

He is an above average defender, and exceptional compared to our wings on defense.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Paying $14 mil for next season for Jared fucking Jefferies, when the Spurs have already gone balls to the wall with a $80 mil payroll. Are you mad?

Mhak
02-19-2010, 03:33 PM
He is an above average defender, and exceptional compared to our wings on defense.
Yeah sure sure!!! I am glad we stayed away from this scrub from the trade!! I smell another benched warmer/gooden through out the whole year.

Some times you just have to realize realisticly even acquiring this scrub we will not go anywhere!! Also getting this scrub will effect our future plans!!! You have to think about gains and loses!!!

jjktkk
02-19-2010, 03:33 PM

Huge contract. Good player, not great, that was overpaid. Houston only picked him up to get Jordan Hill and future draft picks. Plus Houston had what the Spurs did not. McGrady's HUGE expiring contract.

Pentagruel
02-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Jared Jeffries is terrible...

This young lady can explain to you why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DxBwQIOKeM

EricB
02-19-2010, 03:36 PM
:lmao @ Jared Jeffries

chazley
02-19-2010, 03:45 PM
You guys are telling me you wouldn't trade Finley/Mason for Jeffries and 2 very high draft picks in 2011 and 2012? You guys are out of your minds.

chazley
Jeffries is only getting paid 7 mil next year also.

jesterbobman
The fact that we're over the tax(And quite likely to be next year), makes it it very different deal to the one Houston made, add in Hill and it's a 9.5 million commitment(In Salary), For Hill(Probably a 4th/5th big next year behind TD, Splitter, Dyess and Blair), and Jeffries, who would probably be the backup SF. Add the tax, and it's 19 million for Hill, who may not have a spot in our rotation, A potential swap of picks and 1 more pick. 19 million for a pick?
Either an exorbitant price, if it's a late 1st, or a decent price, If it's high. On balance, not the same value for us as it was for Houston, As Hill takes over Landry's spot in the rotation and they're under the tax(and will be next year)

Mhak
02-19-2010, 03:51 PM
You guys are telling me you wouldn't trade Finley/Mason for Jeffries and 2 very high draft picks in 2011 and 2012? You guys are out of your minds.

Yes!! As much as i hate saying it, I RATHER have them at least you dont have to deal with them next year if we dont sign them!!!

Your out of your mind thinking because he is tall that he can help!! This mofo/scrub doesnt know how to play ball(NBA Level).

DesignatedT
02-19-2010, 03:53 PM
jeffries sucks.

chazley
02-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Can someone informed please back me up here? D:

objective
02-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Can someone informed please back me up here? D:

I think you're pretty much right.

You're off about the picks though, it's the right to swap picks in 2011 and 2012 free and clear.

The deal wasn't just about Tracy McGrady. The Knicks gave up expirings to make it work too, Larry Hughes they dumped was worth over 13 million.

The deal would have had zero impact on the luxury tax this season, and maybe could have saved the Spurs money with Mason/Bonner for Jeffries straight up plus 1 pick. Save the Knicks more money by giving Finley for Jordan Hill . . .

This was something doable by the Spurs. And not just for this year.

Anyone ever bother to look at next year? They'll have so many roster spots to fill with just the MLE and LLE (if Holt lets them spend it) and minimum salaries. They could have had Jordan Hill, a lottery big with some potential on a cheap contract for years, and Jared Jeffries for a single year would be better than re-signing Bogans or bringing back Finley.

Houston straight up owned the Knicks. Brutally.

Pentagruel
02-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Jared Jeffries has a bloated contract for the caliber player he is. He would have cost us a ton of money next year basically meaning we could not resign Manu and would be forced to fill out our roster with minimum scrubs.

If you want to make that trade purely for the picks then you concede you are in complete rebuilding mode and ready to blow up the team. If that's the case there are probably better options to rebuild then taking on an awful contract for next year.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Jeffries is only getting paid 7 mil next year also.lol "only"

ajballer4
02-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Jeffries sucks

nkdlunch
02-19-2010, 05:30 PM
WTF? dude's a damn scrub

bigdog
02-19-2010, 05:31 PM

Who in their right mind would trade 2 first round draft picks for Mason and Finley?

:lol This thread is full of fail.

phxspurfan
02-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Gray Poster Thread

8FOR!3
02-19-2010, 06:08 PM
2009-10 Richard Jefferson > 1981-2010 Jared Jeffries. Jeffries is a fail.

TIMMYD!
02-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Jared Jeffries is terrible...

This young lady can explain to you why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DxBwQIOKeM

That chicks hot and knows her basketball.

8FOR!3
02-19-2010, 06:17 PM
That chicks hot and knows her basketball.

That's what I'm thinking. Someone needs to go post her a link to the NBA forum here.

dbestpro
02-19-2010, 06:23 PM
This is a joke, right?

Big P
02-19-2010, 06:27 PM
I had to go back & check your post count after reading the responses...I figured it right...lol...jefferies...wow!!!

vander
02-19-2010, 06:45 PM
The fact that we're over the tax(And quite likely to be next year), makes it it very different deal to the one Houston made, add in Hill and it's a 9.5 million commitment(In Salary), For Hill(Probably a 4th/5th big next year behind TD, Splitter, Dyess and Blair), and Jeffries, who would probably be the backup SF. Add the tax, and it's 19 million for Hill, who may not have a spot in our rotation, A potential swap of picks and 1 more pick. 19 million for a pick?
Either an exorbitant price, if it's a late 1st, or a decent price, If it's high. On balance, not the same value for us as it was for Houston, As Hill takes over Landry's spot in the rotation and they're under the tax(and will be next year)

Hill > Dyess/Splitter, assuming Splitter ever even comes, he might even be better than Blair eventually

if we could have gotten Hill and a first round swap like Houston did, that would have been totally worth it. I would have liked to somehow get them to take Dyess in the trade, but they probably wouldn't want any contract that isn't expiring, maybe they could have talked him into retiring.

but yeah, Houston did good in that trade on the NY front, not so much on the Sactown front, I like Landry more than Martin, I don't like Martin much at all

spurtech09
02-19-2010, 09:31 PM
even if the spurs got jefferies the spurs would still suck....pop needs to retire

Mr Bones
02-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Jeffries is unquestionably a much better defender than Jefferson, Bogans, Finley, or Mason. he would have given the Spurs a 7 foot wingspan at the SF position and a guy who can guard all 5 positions. His offense is very weak, but so was Bowen's in his prime and Jeffries is a better rebounder and shotblocker than Bowen ever was. I agree with the OP-- him + picks would have been far better than what the Spurs currently have.

Mr Bones
02-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Chazley mentioned Luc Mbah a Moute in another thread, and I agree with that also.... again, a great defender who doesn't score much, plays tough D, and contributes with intangibles.

HarlemHeat37
02-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Speaking as somebody that lives in NY, Jeffries is absolutely horrible..

He's one of those guys that fans that don't watch him ask for every year..similar to Chris Wilcox..fans always ask for these guys because of their physical attributes, but anybody that consistently watches them knows how bad they are..

Being better than what the Spurs currently have isn't an accomplishment..

BTW, Mbah a Moute IS a great defender, he shouldn't be compared to a scrub like Jeffries..

Mr Bones
02-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Being better than what the Spurs currently have isn't an accomplishment..

I don't understand this sentiment... If he is better than what the Spurs currently have, than it makes sense to take that small step forward, especially if it comes with a first round pick-- especially since the situation involves a team that is gambling on landing two big free agents this summer, a scenario that could result in a very good pick if that gamble doesn't pay off.

chazley
02-20-2010, 12:05 PM
You guys are not understanding my point... I'm not saying Jeffries would've been a great piece for us, I'm saying he's a relatively huge upgrade on the wing for us defensively, and if we take him off the Knicks hands, since they're desperate to get under the cap, we could've potentially gotten 2 unprotected first round draft picks, and next year we would've had a chance at getting JOHN WALL(the spurs luck in the lottery is well noted). Not to mention next year we could've packaged RJ's expiring contract with the 2012 unprotected pick, which could potentially be the best trading chip in the league if the Knicks don't get two max free agents (they won't in my opinion, I think they're REALLY screwed for the next 3-4 years). If the Spurs wanted, we could've potentially had John Wall, Parker, Gino, Duncan, Hill, Blair, Jeffries, McDyess and basically any pick at a big star outside of the top 1% of the league with the RJ/Knick 2012 first round draft pick... and we only give up Mason/Finley.

I'm not advocating this because of Jared Jeffries.

chazley
02-20-2010, 12:08 PM
However, looking at it now we probably would've had to of given up Blair to get both unprotected first round draft picks, and we would've taken back Jordan Hill, so it would've probably looked like this:

Mason/Finley/Blair for Jeffries/Jordan Hill/Knicks 2011/2012 unprotected first round draft picks.

Anyone who wouldn't do that in a heartbeat is out of their minds.

Big P
02-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't understand this sentiment... If he is better than what the Spurs currently have, than it makes sense to take that small step forward, especially if it comes with a first round pick-- especially since the situation involves a team that is gambling on landing two big free agents this summer, a scenario that could result in a very good pick if that gamble doesn't pay off.

With the luxury tax hit, jefferies contract would cost $14 mil next year...sorry he is not worth more than the lle...better defender or not, he would not help this team

chazley
02-20-2010, 01:54 PM
With the luxury tax hit, jefferies contract would cost $14 mil next year...sorry he is not worth more than the lle...better defender or not, he would not help this team

We won't be THAT far over the cap next year, and we will always have moves that will be able to put us under, including trading RJ next year when he becomes super-valuable. I also really don't believe Manu will be back next year, I think someone is gonna throw 12-14 mil at him for 3-4 season and there's no way he can leave that on the table, which means we'll have even more room.

exstatic
02-20-2010, 02:09 PM

I know NY wouldn't do that deal. They only sent out the pick because they got TMac's $23M expiring deal in the trade, clearing a buttload more cap room for themselves. We don't even have $23M in expirings, unless you throw in Manu.

The flaw in this thinking is believing that because NY did a HUGE deal with many parts that you can cherry pick the best parts for your team's garbage.

Oh, and Jeffries sucks. Once you've been in the league 7 years, it's no longer potential. You're a bust.

exstatic
02-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Chazley mentioned Luc Mbah a Moute in another thread, and I agree with that also.... again, a great defender who doesn't score much, plays tough D, and contributes with intangibles.

You don't have to score much, but in this offense, the small forwards MUST be able to shoot the 3 ball at a good clip, say 36%+. Jeffries is a HORRIBLE shooter.

exstatic
02-20-2010, 02:27 PM
I think you're pretty much right.

You're off about the picks though, it's the right to swap picks in 2011 and 2012 free and clear.

The deal wasn't just about Tracy McGrady. The Knicks gave up expirings to make it work too, Larry Hughes they dumped was worth over 13 million.

The deal would have had zero impact on the luxury tax this season, and maybe could have saved the Spurs money with Mason/Bonner for Jeffries straight up plus 1 pick. Save the Knicks more money by giving Finley for Jordan Hill . . .

This was something doable by the Spurs. And not just for this year.

Anyone ever bother to look at next year? They'll have so many roster spots to fill with just the MLE and LLE (if Holt lets them spend it) and minimum salaries. They could have had Jordan Hill, a lottery big with some potential on a cheap contract for years, and Jared Jeffries for a single year would be better than re-signing Bogans or bringing back Finley.

Houston straight up owned the Knicks. Brutally.

The one big thing we couldn't offer is strikeout insurance. If NY completely swings and misses in FA next summer, they still have TMac's Bird rights, instead of some Bonner/Mase/Finley combo. While he isn't an elite player anymore, he's a fuck of a lot better than that sorry lot.

exstatic
02-20-2010, 02:32 PM
We won't be THAT far over the cap next year, and we will always have moves that will be able to put us under, including trading RJ next year when he becomes super-valuable. I also really don't believe Manu will be back next year, I think someone is gonna throw 12-14 mil at him for 3-4 season and there's no way he can leave that on the table, which means we'll have even more room.

No one is going to take RJ off our hands for no return salaries, which would be the only way to get under the tax.

No one is going to offer Manu that money, because he's a 33 YO shooting guard who's breaking down, and who's ONLY lasted this long by having his minutes severely monitored and kept in the high 20s. If you're paying that kind of jack, you want a 36 minute player who's 5-6 years younger. He'll get offers, just nowhere NEAR that money. Think about maybe half of that.

chazley
02-20-2010, 02:53 PM
No one is going to take RJ off our hands for no return salaries, which would be the only way to get under the tax.

No one is going to offer Manu that money, because he's a 33 YO shooting guard who's breaking down, and who's ONLY lasted this long by having his minutes severely monitored and kept in the high 20s. If you're paying that kind of jack, you want a 36 minute player who's 5-6 years younger. He'll get offers, just nowhere NEAR that money. Think about maybe half of that.

There's 9 teams with 20 mil+ in cap space next year. Only 3 legitimate max players available, and another (Amare) who will also get the max for sure. Manu will be the beneficiary of a ton of teams with a ton of cap space, he will get 12 mil+ EASILY because teams will be desperate.

Also, like I said earlier, after thinking about the trade I mentioned we would have to throw Blair in in order to get both those picks. I don't see how New York or we could turn that deal down.

chazley
02-20-2010, 02:55 PM

My point exactly... we would've been able to package the Knicks 1st round pick in 2012 and RJ for a superstar.

exstatic
02-20-2010, 03:13 PM
My point exactly... we would've been able to package the Knicks 1st round pick in 2012 and RJ for a superstar.

Um, no. Picks, even high ones, aren't sure things. We MIGHT be able to just dump his contract with that pick, but there will be no superstar coming back. Shit, that pick could be in the 20s if LeBron and another FA sign in NY.

You need to get a little perspective on how things really work in the NBA. Wishing for something doesn't mean it's even feasible. Some team isn't going to take out our trash and give us gold for it.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2010, 03:19 PM
There's 9 teams with 20 mil+ in cap space next year. Only 3 legitimate max players available, and another (Amare) who will also get the max for sure. Manu will be the beneficiary of a ton of teams with a ton of cap space, he will get 12 mil+ EASILY because teams will be desperate.12+ million is pretty much a maximum salary, and teams will be more desperate to cut payroll than spend.

I'm not saying there won't be a market for Manu, but $12 million is seems to be a very high price given his age and actual production.

chazley
02-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Um, no. Picks, even high ones, aren't sure things. We MIGHT be able to just dump his contract with that pick, but there will be no superstar coming back. Shit, that pick could be in the 20s if LeBron and another FA sign in NY.

You need to get a little perspective on how things really work in the NBA. Wishing for something doesn't mean it's even feasible. Some team isn't going to take out our trash and give us gold for it.

RJ's 15 mil expiring contract and the Knicks unprotected 2012 first round draft pick. That is trash?!

Good lord can some1 with half a brain back me up here

Big P
02-20-2010, 03:31 PM

keep up...if you are over the lux tax threshold, it is a dollar for dollar tax..as it stands..jefferies salary is $6,883,400 the tax would double that so jefferies salary is = to $13,766,800....and I wont even begin to discuss your thinking that a team is going to throw $12-14 mil for 3-4 years for manu, its telling enough...stick around & absorb

exstatic
02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
RJ's 15 mil expiring contract and the Knicks unprotected 2012 first round draft pick. That is trash?!

Good lord can some1 with half a brain back me up here

That pick is garbage if they sign any two of the top 5 FAs next summer. Why are you not seeing that?

objective
02-20-2010, 06:20 PM
The one big thing we couldn't offer is strikeout insurance. If NY completely swings and misses in FA next summer, they still have TMac's Bird rights, instead of some Bonner/Mase/Finley combo. While he isn't an elite player anymore, he's a fuck of a lot better than that sorry lot.

There is no strikeout insurance.

There is no way in hell they don't renounce McGrady, and thereby lose his birdrights. There's no major caproom without renouncing him.

They aren't going to pay McGrady anything first. They'll renounce him. Then end up having to sign 2nd tier guys like Joe Johnson and Amare to team with D'Antoni for another team of playoff losers.

IF they can't get anything other than one max, they might sign him to a small deal. But they could have done that anyway because they won't be signing him with bird rights, they could have done it with him being a straight free agent this summer. But they can't sign him to a small deal before renouncing because whatever that amount is could screw up signing 2 MAX guys, they won't take that chance.

So . . .

1. The idea that the Spurs couldn't match 23 in salary has been buried because of the expirings that NYK traded away

2. The idea that the Knicks want McGrady for birdrights seems very unlikely. A tryout this year for a post-renounce look next season, maybe. But they could have had that after Sacramento bought him out.

3. The only real objection would be the additional year on the Jeffries deal. Weighted against the return of Bogans on a minimum next year because the roster will be filled with vet mins, and with 1 first rounder outside the lottery plus swapping a pick that could get the Spurs maybe 1-5 spots higher, it's not so clear cut.

exstatic
02-20-2010, 07:00 PM
There is no strikeout insurance.

There is no way in hell they don't renounce McGrady, and thereby lose his birdrights. There's no major caproom without renouncing him.

They aren't going to pay McGrady anything first. They'll renounce him. Then end up having to sign 2nd tier guys like Joe Johnson and Amare to team with D'Antoni for another team of playoff losers.

IF they can't get anything other than one max, they might sign him to a small deal. But they could have done that anyway because they won't be signing him with bird rights, they could have done it with him being a straight free agent this summer. But they can't sign him to a small deal before renouncing because whatever that amount is could screw up signing 2 MAX guys, they won't take that chance.

So . . .

1. The idea that the Spurs couldn't match 23 in salary has been buried because of the expirings that NYK traded away

2. The idea that the Knicks want McGrady for birdrights seems very unlikely. A tryout this year for a post-renounce look next season, maybe. But they could have had that after Sacramento bought him out.

3. The only real objection would be the additional year on the Jeffries deal. Weighted against the return of Bogans on a minimum next year because the roster will be filled with vet mins, and with 1 first rounder outside the lottery plus swapping a pick that could get the Spurs maybe 1-5 spots higher, it's not so clear cut.

Why do you think his agent forced the new trade with NY after the initial HOU/SAC trade was all but set in stone?

NY doesn't have to renounce him to have players come in and visit and negotiate with their agents. In fact, until they have someone ready to sign, I'll go out on a limb and say they WON'T renounce him.

Even if they strike out with the big three, signing Amare and Johnson vaults them into the top half of the EC playoff draw, and makes that 2012 first rounder a pile of steaming shit. That leaves you stuck with that other steaming pile of shit: the $6.8M contract and meager toolbox of NBA skills of Jared Jeffries.

objective
02-20-2010, 07:05 PM
so T-Mac's agent forced New York to sacrifice 1 first rounder and positioning with the second first rounder + a lottery pick like Hill?

objective
02-20-2010, 07:22 PM
And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with an anti-Jeffries-contract compared to picks in context perspective.

It's reasonable enough. Up for debate, but very reasonable.

No need for other reasons like birdrights or erroneous things like 23 million from Spurs.

----------------------------

elsewhere

The deal wasn't just for Jeffries, it included Jordan Hill. Spurs could have absorbed him as well with Bonner-Mason-Finley as the primaries.

It also adds more to the cap/tax next season. But Hill is a legit bigman prospect who had lottery talent and is locked into a fairly cheap contract. He would have been useful insurance if Splitter pulled a Splitter and McDyess regressed further.

Sure, he's done nothing this year. But that doesn't surprise me when it comes to D'Antoni. D'Antoni was fully behind the selling of first round picks in Phoenix and publicly declared to the media that it 'wasn't his job to develop players' if I remember the gist of it.

Hill might have been a better reason to do the deal than non-lottery first round picks.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2010, 09:43 PM
The deal wasn't just for JeffriesBut he's still in there and would still be on the books next season. The salaries in that trade would take up almost all the money the Spurs would reasonably be expected to spend next season.

Agloco
02-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Jeffries is only getting paid 7 mil next year also.

That's about 6 to 6.5 million too much......

objective
02-20-2010, 10:50 PM
But he's still in there and would still be on the books next season. The salaries in that trade would take up almost all the money the Spurs would reasonably be expected to spend next season.

okay, let's look at Jeffries, maybe he does cost the Spurs Manu.

That <7 million represents all the Spurs would be reasonably expected to spend.

So without Jeffries, that's about enough to re-sign Manu, and means no Splitter, unless Manu is playing for 4 million a year so they can hope Splitter takes 3. I doubt that.

This roster keeping Manu as it is constructed means next year is more boned than this one. Because next year they'll be filling the roster with veteran minimums like Keith Bogans.

Which means no title, window closed heading into the lockout.

If that's the case, loading up on draft picks, however low in the first, + a young cheap big prospect to move into Ian's doghouse, isn't that bad a proposition.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2010, 11:03 PM
okay, let's look at Jeffries, maybe he does cost the Spurs Manu.

That <7 million represents all the Spurs would be reasonably expected to spend.I said almost -- and it's great that you just stipulated that Jordan hill will be a bust and renounced to make the money not look as bad. I would put the number at whatever the tax threshold turns out to be. It could be as much as $10 million. That kind of money could indeed make it possible to sign both Manu and Splitter.

So without Jeffries, that's about enough to re-sign Manu, and means no Splitter, unless Manu is playing for 4 million a year so they can hope Splitter takes 3. I doubt that.So with Jeffries, there's a good chance the Spurs wouldn't be able to sign anyone else. Great thinking.

This roster keeping Manu as it is constructed means next year is more boned than this one. Because next year they'll be filling the roster with veteran minimums like Keith Bogans.So we should have traded Manu. OK. We could've gotten more than Jeffries in that case.

Which means no title, window closed heading into the lockout.It's already closed. It's just about making some money back now. Keeping Manu works for that plan if the price is right.

If that's the case, loading up on draft picks, however low in the first, + a young cheap big prospect to move into Ian's doghouse, isn't that bad a proposition.It sucks.

objective
02-20-2010, 11:13 PM
I said almost -- and it's great that you just stipulated that Jordan hill will be a bust and renounced to make the money not look as bad. I would put the number at whatever the tax threshold turns out to be. It could be as much as $10 million. That kind of money could indeed make it possible to sign both Manu and Splitter.

Actually I'm playing down Hill for people who didn't even include him in the original discussion. I never said he would be a bust, in fact I said he would be kept. Him being in the doghouse is a joke.

So with Jeffries, there's a good chance the Spurs wouldn't be able to sign anyone else. Great thinking.

No shit. That's what I posited. The point was to get the picks.

So we should have traded Manu. OK. We could've gotten more than Jeffries in that case.

Maybe so.

It's already closed. It's just about making some money back now. Keeping Manu works for that plan if the price is right.

Sure, it's closed. People still act like it's open. That's why a deal to get picks that doesn't carry salary past the work stoppage isn't that crazy.

It sucks.

No.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Actually I'm playing down Hill for people who didn't even include him in the original discussion. I never said he would be a bust, in fact I said he would be kept. Him being in the doghouse is a joke.But you tried to hide him and his $2.7 million salary from your cap figure next year, which is hilarious.

No shit. That's what I posited. The point was to get the picks.As the 2009 draft showed, people on this board overrate draft picks to an amazing degree. People pimping anything but early lottery draft picks should be ashamed of themselves.

Maybe so.If it was just a basketball decision, it might have already happened.

Sure, it's closed. People still act like it's open. That's why a deal to get picks that doesn't carry salary past the work stoppage isn't that crazy.In that case, you can start talking about trading Duncan. There would be no need to take a $7 million scrub back.

No.Oh yes.

objective
02-20-2010, 11:24 PM
But you tried to hide him and his $2.7 million salary from your cap figure next year, which is hilarious.

I wasn't hiding him, I was disregarding him because nobody on this thread was knocking him, but Jeffries' deal. People keep bringing up the 7 million this, 7 million that. I addressed that. But if you need to pretend that I would want to hide the contract of a young lottery big playing for less than Matt Bonner to satisfy your trolling, go ahead.

In that case, you can start talking about trading Duncan. There would be no need to take a $7 million scrub back.

Nah, he's already under contract and would be nice to see his final years. A long goodbye.

pad300
02-20-2010, 11:31 PM
However, looking at it now we probably would've had to of given up Blair to get both unprotected first round draft picks, and we would've taken back Jordan Hill, so it would've probably looked like this:

Mason/Finley/Blair for Jeffries/Jordan Hill/Knicks 2011/2012 unprotected first round draft picks.

Anyone who wouldn't do that in a heartbeat is out of their minds.

Well, I'm out of my mind, because while I did propose a Jeffries trade myself, I wouldn't do that. I also think your an idiot to do propose it. Blair is really potentially very good. What we should have done to trump the Houston involvement in the Kings/Knicks trade was offer the Knicks this:

Mason, Finley & Mahinmi for Jeffries, Exchange rights with the knicks in 2011, and their 2012 1st round pick

That they would have bitten on, and we would be improved this year as well as in the future.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2010, 11:38 PM
I wasn't hiding him, I was disregarding him because nobody on this thread was knocking him, but Jeffries' deal. People keep bringing up the 7 million this, 7 million that. I addressed that. But if you need to pretend that I would want to hide the contract of a young lottery big playing for less than Matt Bonner to satisfy your trolling, go ahead.Then don't be disingenuous and include him in your cap number.

Jeffries and what's-his-face will add up to just short of $10 million. Which means the Spurs won't be spending any more than the minimum on any additional players.

No Manu.

No Splitter.

No possible sign and trades for players like Mason.

That's why this trade is so horrible. It's not that good on it's face, and it takes away every option the Spurs have in the summer of 2010.

Nah, he's already under contract and would be nice to see his final years. A long goodbye.Then why even worry about rebuilding? You aren't serious about it.

objective
02-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Then don't be disingenuous and include him in your cap number.

Jeffries and what's-his-face will add up to just short of $10 million. Which means the Spurs won't be spending any more than the minimum on any additional players.

No Manu.

No Splitter.

No possible sign and trades for players like Mason.

That's why this trade is so horrible. It's not that good on it's face, and it takes away every option the Spurs have in the summer of 2010.

I wasn't being disingenuous, you're being obtuse.

Jordan Hill is like a trade for Michael Finley salary-wise. You wouldn't trade Finley for Jordan Hill straight up? Troll away and say no.

The obstacle then is Jeffries and his 7 million and what that contract would cost the Spurs.

Then why even worry about rebuilding? You aren't serious about it.

The picks.

By the time those players and presumably Jordan Hill are ready to be real contributors Duncan will be retired.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2010, 12:02 AM
I wasn't being disingenuous, you're being obtuse.

Jordan Hill is like a trade for Michael Finley salary-wise. You wouldn't trade Finley for Jordan Hill straight up? Troll away and say no.It's not Finley for Jordan straight up. No need to lie and pretend that it is.

The obstacle then is Jeffries and his 7 million and what that contract would cost the Spurs. It's the combination of Jeffries' and Hill's money that completely destroys the ability of the Spurs to do anything else this summer. What part of that do you not understand? You are being obtuse and disingenuous and a liar.

The picks.

By the time those players and presumably Jordan Hill are ready to be real contributors Duncan will be retired.Yes, your overrated picks. I'm sure you have them all penciled in as solid starters. Picks always work out.

objective
02-21-2010, 12:10 AM
It's not Finley for Jordan straight up. No need to lie and pretend that it is.

It's the combination of Jeffries' and Hill's money that completely destroys the ability of the Spurs to do anything else this summer. What part of that do you not understand? You are being obtuse and disingenuous and a liar.

Yes, your overrated picks. I'm sure you have them all penciled in as solid starters. Picks always work out.

I conceded the consequences of Jeffries, that it could mean no Manu.

So I acknoweledged fully that the deal could destroy every plan for this summer, when you yourself are saying the window is closed and the only plans are to make money off Manu.

Final thoughts:

1. I wouldn't do the deal. I was just explaining how it wasn't crazy.

2. All you do is troll with the exception of d-league related posts. Keep up the good work.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2010, 12:12 AM
I conceded the consequences of Jeffries, that it could mean no Manu.

So I acknoweledged fully that the deal could destroy every plan for this summer, when you yourself are saying the window is closed and the only plans are to make money off Manu.

Final thoughts:

1. I wouldn't do the deal. I was just explaining how it wasn't crazy.It's crazy.

2. All you do is troll with the exception of d-league related posts. Keep up the good work.The trade sucked ass for the Spurs.

I explained why.

You agreed, and now you are bitching about that. :toast

exstatic
02-21-2010, 01:48 AM
so T-Mac's agent forced New York to sacrifice 1 first rounder and positioning with the second first rounder + a lottery pick like Hill?

He forced Houston to bring NY to the table, instead of a straight up deal with Sacto, which was basically done at the time. Do you know who his agent is? His name is Arn Tellem, and if this were baseball, he'd be Scott Boras. He's got a lot of pull, a lot of high profile clients, and you defy him at your own peril.

chazley
03-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Glad to see someone with a good sense of things is posting in my defense.

Jeffries would've been a good asset for this team. So would of Jordan Hill. So would a 2011/2012 first round draft pick. And Jefferson's expiring contract+ 2011 draft pick could've potentially gotten us a star.

I'm not convinced Blair can be a starter on a championship team. In fact, Blair will never win a championship as a starter. Definitely can win one as a 6th man. I think his value is super high right now.