PDA

View Full Version : Darrell Green > you

ShoogarBear
02-19-2010, 05:52 PM
He celebrated his 50th birthday by running a 4.43 40.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/darrell-green-turns-50-with-a.html

Darrell Green turns 50 with a burst of speed

What's the best way to celebrate turning 50? Stuffing your face full of cake and washing it down with a microbrew? Warning your loved ones not to hug your brittle bones too tightly? Making out a will?

Not if you're Darrell Green, the Redskins' Pro Football Hall of Famer who was known for his energy and age-defying speed (he won the NFL's Fastest Man competition four times) when he played. He turned 50 Monday and, apparently, hasn't lost much of a step since his retirement after the 2002 season.

He told the story of his celebration on Twitter (@darrellgreen28):

Quick update from the Birthday Boy :) I think today I became the fastest 50 year old in the world! @9AM today, I celebrated my 50th BDay.....

By running the 40 yard dash in Orlando, Florida in a time of 4.43! FYI, all born between 1946 -1964 are baby boomers...

I'm guessing that makes me the fastest baby boomer! I would say, thats really booming. Are you?

benefactor
02-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Wow...he would embarass the hell out of me. I only ran a 4.7 in high school.

Dr. Gonzo
02-19-2010, 07:10 PM
When he was in college in Kingsville my aunt would have him over for dinner all the time. She said he was a great guy. I've always loved watching him play. Real class act.

vander
02-19-2010, 07:14 PM
no, 5.2 > 4.3

idiot

fyatuk
02-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I've never been timed. I think running a 40 would kill me...

Green's always been a very impressive man.

mojorizen7
02-19-2010, 11:03 PM
That clip where he catches my boy E.D. doesn't do the play justice AT ALL.
I was watchin that game and Dickerson was in the clear big time when Green came up outta nowhere and caught him......RAMS fans were celebrating a big play TD.
a9Hy5NJyqYg

slayermin
02-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Amazing. But doesn't surprise me.

During a game, I recall Madden talking about football speed and track speed. He talked about how most track guys lost speed when they put the pads on. But Green wasn't one of those guys. His track speed translated well on the football field.

Out of all the great sprinters that played in the NFL, I would still put Darrell as the fastest I had ever seen play the game. Never got to see Bob Hayes play. And from what I have heard from older football fans, he's the only one that compares.

samikeyp
02-21-2010, 02:12 AM
Dude was scary good. One of those guys that myself and a lot of Cowboys fans still have much respect for. He was a class act on and off the field. :toast

ShoogarBear
02-21-2010, 02:13 AM
When he was in college in Kingsville my aunt would have him over for dinner all the time. She said he was a great guy. I've always loved watching him play. Real class act.

A guy I work with went to school with him at A&I. Apparently he was the like the mayor of Kingsville when he was there. Everyone loved him.