PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Notebook: Popovich: Parker not right physically

duncan228
02-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Popovich: Parker not right physically (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_Parker_not_right_physically.html)
Jeff McDonald

PHILADELPHIA — In the aftermath of the Spurs' discouraging 106-94 loss to the 76ers on Friday night, coach Gregg Popovich acknowledged what everybody present in the Wachovia Center could see.

Tony Parker is not right, physically.

“He's got some problems,” Popovich said.

The latest is a sore left hip flexor that first cropped up in a Feb. 8 loss at the Lakers, and didn't dissipate during the All-Star break. Lacking his trademark explosion — and the jump shot that had carried him to 28 points two nights earlier in Indiana — Parker scored just two points against Philadelphia.

It was his fewest points in a game in which he logged at least five minutes since Jan. 21, 2005, when he had a two-point night in a victory over Phoenix.

Parker was 1 for 9 from the field Friday, and played just 26:59. That less-than-average workload was partially by the design because Popovich felt he'd overplayed Parker (39:11) in Indiana.

Parker left the locker room without addressing reporters, but said earlier this month he could live with all the nagging injuries, which also have included various sprained ankles and a season-long bout of plantar fasciitis in his left foot.

Those nagging injuries, however, are beginning to add up to a big headache for the Spurs. Parker's status is unclear for Sunday's game at Detroit, which caps their rodeo road trip.

Suit up: One side effect of Thursday's trade of Theo Ratliff — Ian Mahinmi can put away the sportcoat for a while.

With only 12 players on the traveling squad — 13th man Malik Hairston is on Development League assignment with Austin — Mahinmi is guaranteed to be uniform for the time being.

“It's better than sitting behind the bench,” Mahinmi said.

Mahinmi, who had appeared in just six games before entering Friday's contest in garbage time, will be awarded Ratliff's minutes, which weren't many.

Mahinmi played the final 2:07 of the blowout loss.

Uniform swap: The Sixers wore their red uniforms, typically reserved for road games, in order to show support for an American Heart Association drive against heart disease.

That forced the Spurs to wear their home whites.

Cheesesteak test: Matt Bonner, the Spurs' noted sandwich expert, spent his afternoon conducting a taste test of Philadelphia's two most renowned purveyors of cheesesteak — Geno's Steaks and Pat's King of Steaks, which happen to be across the street from each other.

“Geno's is the best, I think,” Bonner said.

For a more thorough analysis, Bonner says, “you'll have to read my blog.”

Obstructed_View
02-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Spurs fans*: Popovich not right mentally...

*TPark: Love you, Pop!

TJastal
02-20-2010, 12:50 AM

:lol

benefactor
02-20-2010, 12:54 AM
“It's better than sitting behind the bench,” Mahinmi said.
lol

leemajors
02-20-2010, 12:57 AM
up tp's minutes. maybe he'll get hurt enough he has to take the summer off.

HarlemHeat37
02-20-2010, 01:03 AM
lol

:bang

all_heart
02-20-2010, 01:12 AM

Park: Love you, Pop!

Exactly, I can't believe Pop took Blair out the game after he got that steal. He's lost it!! He doesn't even resemble a coach that has 4 rings anymore. Manu and Blair should have been on the floor right about the time it really started to get away from the Spurs. Every loss is almost the same now, lose 10pt leads, and turn the ball over and can't buy a bucket.. that is coaching. The Spurs have no offensive structure when the game gets tight, that's also coaching. That shit he said about being fired if he doesn't win, I hope he keeps his word. He doesn't seem to coach anymore, just keeps getting pissed and subbing out guys when things don't go right.

Dingle Barry
02-20-2010, 01:37 AM
Only fitting in this comedy of horrors that our youngest primary weapon is the gimpiest.

JK lulz Manu is the gimpiest.

Fuck my life.

Spurs Brazil
02-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Cheesesteak test: Matt Bonner, the Spurs' noted sandwich expert, spent his afternoon conducting a taste test of Philadelphia's two most renowned purveyors of cheesesteak — Geno's Steaks and Pat's King of Steaks, which happen to be across the street from each other.

“Geno's is the best, I think,” Bonner said.

For a more thorough analysis, Bonner says, “you'll have to read my blog.”

Stupid Bonner can't hit a shot and instead of practice he goes after sandwiches. And this guy is our starting center

HarlemHeat37
02-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Stupid Bonner can't hit a shot and instead of practice he goes after sandwiches. And this guy is our starting center

LOL it's actually ridiculous..his sandwiches have gotten more attention than his play this season..

Slinkyman
02-20-2010, 10:35 AM
LOL it's actually ridiculous..his sandwiches have gotten more attention than his play this season..

Speaking of sandwiches i think Jared from subway would be a better starting center the matt bonner.

ElNono
02-20-2010, 10:58 AM

I actually have to say Bonner was the one practicing his shots the longest last night before the game with Chip Engelland monitoring, and the very first one to come out of the locker room at the half to practice again...

He works hard, but...

jermaine
02-20-2010, 11:26 AM

He sounds dumb as fuck. he didn't just start thinking Parker wasn't ok but made no moves to get a fucking PG. then tried to tradea muthafucka he had running point for the last year for nothing. I'm tired of this 4 rings talk. This fucka needs 2 go. He lost his mind. RC 2.

Obstructed_View
02-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Exactly, I can't believe Pop took Blair out the game after he got that steal. He's lost it!! He doesn't even resemble a coach that has 4 rings anymore. Manu and Blair should have been on the floor right about the time it really started to get away from the Spurs. Every loss is almost the same now, lose 10pt leads, and turn the ball over and can't buy a bucket.. that is coaching. The Spurs have no offensive structure when the game gets tight, that's also coaching. That shit he said about being fired if he doesn't win, I hope he keeps his word. He doesn't seem to coach anymore, just keeps getting pissed and subbing out guys when things don't go right.

It was time for Blair to come out so that people could get their rest on schedule. I feel like Pop's looking at the chart to see when to send people in and pull them out regardless of who's on a run. He's killed more Spurs runs and failed to kill more opponent runs than anyone I've ever seen.

E-RockWill
02-20-2010, 11:57 AM

+1

When I read "Popovich acknowledged what everybody present in the Wachovia Center could see", I think " 'bout time ".

trypldubl
02-20-2010, 12:03 PM
It was time for Blair to come out so that people could get their rest on schedule. I feel like Pop's looking at the chart to see when to send people in and pull them out regardless of who's on a run. He's killed more Spurs runs and failed to kill more opponent runs than anyone I've ever seen.

Yea I hate when Pop does that. A player could be catching on fire but he insists on taking them out because they need to rest.

It's the simulator coaching crew at it's finest!

Chomag
02-20-2010, 12:11 PM
I"m not sure Pop even makes any effort to coach anymore especially on the play. I echo that he just has his written chart before the game and no matter what is happening n game he just goes by what he has down. It's all effort.

He doesn't play and develop young talent, it takes to much effort.
He doesn't try to out coach the apposing teams coach anymore, it takes to much effort.
He doesn't try to dictate the game and only tries to match up what the other team is dictating, it takes to much effort

He has won 4 rings yes, but this is now and even the Pop Lovers here can't deny that he is not coaching at the level he did back then. He has reverted from a Phill Jackson level, to a Donnie Nelson level.

He has no hunger in him anymore, he needs to step down or retire. It would be good for him as well as the Spurs to save his credit as a Hall-of-Fame coach.

4 rings yes but as of now he is playing to lose, he has lost this team. Time to move on Pop, it's time to move on.

pjjrfan
02-20-2010, 01:36 PM
It's the simulator coaching crew at it's finest!

Ohhh, a Phil Jackson brick at Pop and his staff from way back. What was it 2001, along with his asterik BS. :lol:lol:lol

widowmaker
02-20-2010, 01:37 PM

No shit these motherfuckers have lost their fucking mind!:bang

z0sa
02-20-2010, 01:46 PM
No shit these motherfuckers have lost their fucking mind!

You know, I really couldn't say it better myself.

Not a whole lot makes sense for the Spurs right now.

vander
02-20-2010, 01:49 PM
please Pop for the love of God, rest TP and/or Manu until the Playoffs, rotate them out in 2 week intervals, put them in a deep sleep in a hyperbaric chamber with some type of legal regenerative medicine IV so they might actually be fresh and healthy for 6 straight weeks in May/June :lol

Spurs will play good enough to get into the playoffs with Mason getting 40 minutes a night

TD too, for the last 2 weeks of the regular season, let him get his legs back

Obstructed_View
02-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, resting the only guys with a prayer of contributing and expecting to make the playoffs is the only thing more insane than the current plan.

The Spurs have had all season to rest. The playoffs are early this year. 38 minutes a game for everyone!

vander
02-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah, resting the only guys with a prayer of contributing and expecting to make the playoffs is the only thing more insane than the current plan.

The Spurs have had all season to rest. The playoffs are early this year. 38 minutes a game for everyone!

we only need to play about .550 basketball to get in, and at this point, the way TP is playing, Mason probably gives us a better shot to win much of the time.

we can easily make the playoffs with only 2 of the big 3 playing each game