PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Spurs had no interest in Camby?

duncan228
02-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Spurs had no interest in Camby? (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/buckharvey/2010/02/spurs-had-no-interest-in-camby.html)
Buck Harvey

Theo Ratliff played 18 minutes Friday in his first game for Charlotte. The last time he stayed on the court that long for the Spurs was before Christmas.

He also had more blocks (2) than in any game since November.

One more thing -- the Bobcats routed the team with the best record in the league, Cleveland, while the Spurs lost to the Sixers.

But the Spurs trading this aging shotblocker isn't as surprising as something else.

Why didn't they go after another?

A year ago, after all, they were drooling over Marcus Camby.

Friday's results don't favor the Spurs, since they gave away Ratliff only to lessen their tax bill. They won't get anything back, since "a conditional second-round pick" is code for "baloney sandwich." The conditional part means there won't be a draft pick in return.

That said, Friday's results are also skewed. The Bobcats beat the Cavaliers, all right, but the Cavs had lost the night before in OT in Cleveland.

Antawn Jamison wishes he had fatigue as an excuse. The newest Cav went 0-for-12.

Ratliff was handy in this game, since Shaquille O'Neal was in town. Besides, several Bobcats centers are hurt. Larry Brown, who had Ratliff in Philadelphia, knew him and trusted he would be fine in his first day in Charlotte.

As for the Spurs losing in Philly: What's the chance Gregg Popovich would have used Ratliff, even against Samuel Dalembert, when Popovich had so rarely used Ratliff before?

Ratliff likely wouldn't have mattered anyway. The Spurs failed because of transition defense and turnovers.

But it's clear the Spurs have needed a shotblocker, especially as Tim Duncan has gradually slowed. And a year ago, just before the trade deadline, they thought they had one. They were ready to send Bruce Bowen, Fab Oberto and George Hill to the Clippers for Camby.

Maybe the Spurs are lucky that didn't happen. Giving up Hill for someone who is now 35 years old would have been costly.

Still, at the time the Spurs were disappointed the Clippers pulled back. They saw Camby as an answer for their failing defense, and his 20-foot range would have fit in this offense. His contract wouldn't have been a problem, either, since it runs out this season.

But, this time, the Spurs passed. According to the Clippers just two weeks ago, the Spurs hadn't called about Camby since the previous year. There are no signs the Spurs tried in the days leading up to the trade deadline, either.

Instead, on Thursday, the Spurs called Phoenix just in case Steve Kerr was desperate and had to move Amare Stoudemire.

The Spurs are the ones who look desperate now. They are near Portland for the eighth playoff spot, and here's the rub: Portland, having lost two 7-footers to injuries, are the ones who traded for Camby. He started Friday night in a loss to the Celtics.

Camby isn't Ratliff. He had started every game for the Clippers this season, and he has averaged well over 2,000 minutes a season for the last half-dozen years.

With two blocked shots in his Portland debut, Camby is now 6th in the league in that statistic this season. Duncan is 11th. And the next Spur on the list, below Jason Kidd and Baron Davis, is DeJuan Blair at No. 78.

Maybe the Spurs never could have competed with the Blazers for Camby. Portland could offer more than, say, Roger Mason Jr. and Matt Bonner. Besides, reports suggest the Blazers gave the Clippers as much as $3 million in cash, and Peter Holt wasn't in position to do that.

But why no interest?

silverblk mystix
02-20-2010, 01:15 AM
...because Pop is a genius and has won 4 titles?

Amuseddaysleeper
02-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Great article, and screw the F.O this season

Big P
02-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Interested or not, we did not have the assets to get a/the deal done.

Libri
02-20-2010, 01:24 AM
The Bobcats are one of the best defensive teams of the league and now they add another defender. :(

TJastal
02-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Camby had 2 blocks but also went 1-5 with 5 turnovers. I really don't know why people on this board are so nuts over him. As far as older than dirt veterans go, I'll take Ratliff at the minimum salary over Camby at 7m any day of the week and twice on the weekend.

The Truth #6
02-20-2010, 01:33 AM
I would like Harvey more if he actually reported what he knows while its actually happening, and not a year later when everything is at a safe remove.

lefty
02-20-2010, 01:34 AM
I guess Camby is too tall ........................

bigdog
02-20-2010, 02:31 AM
Fail. I'm really surprised the Spurs didn't even call the Clippers about him. That's kinda weird.

baseline bum
02-20-2010, 02:45 AM
Cotton Camby is trash. I wouldn't trade anything more than Bonner+Finley for him. It's funny how Denver has all of a sudden become a good defensive team with Camby's soft ass gone. Camby hasn't been any good since his early days in New York.

Spursfanfromafar
02-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Good that E.N is calling out the FO over missed shots before the Trade Deadline. For too long, the E.N.'s writers were like Pop's puppies, wagging their pens with admiration over every move of the Spurs' legendary coach/F.O.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Gay ass article. Pop couldn't have written better if he tried. :td

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Cotton Camby is trash. I wouldn't trade anything more than Bonner+Finley for him. It's funny how Denver has all of a sudden become a good defensive team with Camby's soft ass gone. Camby hasn't been any good since his early days in New York.

People like to point to Camby, but fact is Denver toughened up the moment Chauncey arrived in Denver. Would have happened with or without Camby at the five. Chauncey is a leader. Period.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-20-2010, 02:51 AM
People like to point to Camby, but fact is Denver toughened up the moment Chauncey arrived in Denver. Would have happened with or without Camby at the five. Chauncey is a leader. Period.

Dude something is seriously seriously wrong when I'm agreeing with AHF like every post of the season

baseline bum
02-20-2010, 02:59 AM

Denver's points allowed went down 6 points after losing Camby's overrated ass, and the Clippers' went up 3 ppg. Camby's a pussy. Denver is so much better off with Nene, Anderson, and even Martin's gimp ass taking his minutes there. I wish the Spurs would have traded for a big like Thomas, but no way on that giant broken down vagina.