PDA

View Full Version : HBO's The Pacific

DMX7
02-20-2010, 02:00 AM
This is going to be fucking epic. Only 3 weeks away.

e99B80crU3E

blizz
02-20-2010, 02:18 AM
can't. fucking. wait.

TheTruth
02-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Gonna be fantastic. I have no doubts...

AussieFanKurt
02-20-2010, 07:05 PM
I am fucking keen as all hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DesignatedT
02-20-2010, 11:59 PM
this shit is going to be legit... now im just waiting for the new eastbound and down as well!

Fpoonsie
02-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Looks pretty sweet. I'm assuming w/ the success of Band of Brothers, this was the obvious next step...? Or had they already planned on making this before BoB turned out to be such a hit?

DMX7
02-21-2010, 01:05 AM
Visuals look unreal, better than Saving Private Ryan which both had a hand in making.

Jacob1983
02-21-2010, 02:17 AM
I can't believe it's just now coming on. I think it's gonna be cool. Any of you have relatives that served in WWII? There was a co-worker at my work that said that The Pacific wasn't really part of WWII because nothing really important happened there. His words. True story. He also said that WWII was all about Europe. I wanted to bitch slap him because my grandpa served in WWII in the Pacific and I don't think he would like little punks talking shit about what he and many others did for America over there.

DMX7
02-21-2010, 02:36 AM
I can't believe it's just now coming on. I think it's gonna be cool. Any of you have relatives that served in WWII? There was a co-worker at my work that said that The Pacific wasn't really part of WWII because nothing really important happened there. His words. True story. He also said that WWII was all about Europe. I wanted to bitch slap him because my grandpa served in WWII in the Pacific and I don't think he would like little punks talking shit about what he and many others did for America over there.

Not apart of WWII? He must have Alzheimer. Of course it was part of WWII.

Jacob1983
02-21-2010, 03:42 AM
I think he was trying to say that the war in the Pacific wasn't as important as the war in Europe. I do think that in the media that when it comes to WWII, the Pacific is not covered as much as Europe. It seems like the battles in Europe tend to get the spotlight and attention.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-21-2010, 09:55 PM

Slap that dumb muthafucker for every Aussie who died fighting the Japanese in SE Asia. You might also tell him that the single biggest loss of life in WW II was in the Battle of Okinawa, which lasted nearly three months and in which about 500,000 people were killed, including 1/4 of the local indigenous population. And then there were the only nukes ever used in anger. And that's just for starters. What an idiot.

Hemotivo
02-21-2010, 10:34 PM
a couple of sex scenes?

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-21-2010, 11:05 PM
looks so amazing, cant wait, now I have to convince my dad to get HBO for just this show

Nbadan
02-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Loved Band of Brothers...Loved Generation Kill...Will love Pacific...

Spurtacus
02-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Loved Band of Brothers...Loved Generation Kill...Will love Pacific...

PublicOption
02-21-2010, 11:55 PM
My grandfather was a middle gunner in B-17. He flew his 25 missions + 6. He was in England waiting to ship out to Okinawa to build up for a ground assault into Japan.

Thank God for the Nukes......I probably wouldn't be alive if he went to Japan.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Comes on in a little more than an hour, cant wait.

Strike
03-14-2010, 07:02 PM
There definitely seems to be more movies/shows/documentaries about the European Theater than the Pacific Theater. While D-Day, the Battle Of The Bulge, the Battle of Stalingrad and the liberation of the concentration camps are important pieces of history, it's less than half of the story of the second world war.

I'm excited to see The Pacific. If Band Of Brothers is any indication, The Pacific promises to be another epic.

Bender
03-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Any of you have relatives that served in WWII?
one of my uncles (my dad's older brother) was a young marine killed in the invasion of Peleliu. Obviously I never new him.

My favorite uncle (mom's older brother) was a B-24 pilot in WWII.

DMX7
03-14-2010, 08:01 PM
About to start. Hopefully, it lives up to the hype.

phxspurfan
03-14-2010, 08:18 PM
I ordered HBO for a couple months just for this. Hope it's good!

DMX7
03-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Damn, if you've got a badass home theater like me, then you've just wet yourself.

tlongII
03-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Fucking GREAT show! It looks like it's just going to get better too. :tu

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-14-2010, 09:04 PM
That was really good, first episode had action unlike band of brothers

phxspurfan
03-14-2010, 10:09 PM
That one japanese soldier they just kept shooting in the arms and legs...that ish was messed up

King
03-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Is this a new show or a mini-series?

tlongII
03-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Is this a new show or a mini-series?

Mini-series on HBO. Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks are the executive producers.

howbouthemspurs
03-15-2010, 01:05 PM
looks amazing

The Gemini Method
03-15-2010, 01:20 PM
My maternal grandfather flew P-51s over Europe and my great uncle served in the Pacific. I never really got to talk to my grandfather much about the fighting in Europe, but my great uncle used to tell us that it was hell fighting in the Pacific because you had so many variables involved such as typhoid, malaria, dysentery, and yellow fever plus the unwillingness to surrender. It was also the start of "guerrilla warfare" that the U.S. would eventually face again vs. the Vietcong and NVA during the Vietnam conflict. Unfortunately, my great uncle died before I got all of his stories out, but he said he had been to Guadalcanal and the Phillipines before getting injured and sent back home. Doubly unfortunate is that I don't have HBO at the moment to watch this incredible series...

blizz
03-15-2010, 01:21 PM
it was outstanding.

Jacob1983
03-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Did anyone understand the medic's death? Was he killed by friendly fire? I thought it was pretty good even though only probably about half of the first episode actually took place in The Pacific. I do think that the media and Hollywood has historically favored the European part of WWII when it comes to movies, miniseries, documentaries, etc.... I know that WWII was a big deal in Europe and very important but the soldiers in The Pacific were just as important and a big deal in my opinion. It seems like there should be a balance. That's just me though.

IronMaxipad
03-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I want to check this out but don't have hbo ;_;

I loved band of brothers so i know i'll like this.

Will wait for the blu-ray I guess.:(

Sisk
03-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Did anyone understand the medic's death? Was he killed by friendly fire? I thought it was pretty good even though only probably about half of the first episode actually took place in The Pacific. I do think that the media and Hollywood has historically favored the European part of WWII when it comes to movies, miniseries, documentaries, etc.... I know that WWII was a big deal in Europe and very important but the soldiers in The Pacific were just as important and a big deal in my opinion. It seems like there should be a balance. That's just me though.

are you talking about the guy they opened up on at night? if so yeah he was killed by friendly fire they thought he was a jap and opened fire.. he didn't say the code word after coming back from taking a piss

and i wish there were more pacific movies/shows - just as vital of a front and i'd say a more intense one due to the enemies we were fighting were all completely ready to die

of course, the first episode was a bit slow but that's to be expected to develop the characters and plot. expect a lot more action in the next episode

Strike
03-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Just finished watching part 01. Looks good. I expect it to get even better.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Saw the first ep last night and it was really good, although I think they should have done a Currahee-type episode like in Band of Brothers to better introduce the characters.

My grandfather was a middle gunner in B-17. He flew his 25 missions + 6. He was in England waiting to ship out to Okinawa to build up for a ground assault into Japan.

one of my uncles (my dad's older brother) was a young marine killed in the invasion of Peleliu. Obviously I never new him.

My favorite uncle (mom's older brother) was a B-24 pilot in WWII.

My grandfather was ground crew for Spitfires in Borneo. He never talked about it, but I read his diary of it, and it sounded pretty much like hell.

DMX7
03-19-2010, 01:59 AM
I want to check this out but don't have hbo ;_;

I loved band of brothers so i know i'll like this.

Will wait for the blu-ray I guess.:(

They put the first episode online but the rest won't be.

benefactor
03-19-2010, 05:47 AM
My maternal grandfather flew P-51s over Europe and my great uncle served in the Pacific. I never really got to talk to my grandfather much about the fighting in Europe, but my great uncle used to tell us that it was hell fighting in the Pacific because you had so many variables involved such as typhoid, malaria, dysentery, and yellow fever plus the unwillingness to surrender. It was also the start of "guerrilla warfare" that the U.S. would eventually face again vs. the Vietcong and NVA during the Vietnam conflict. Unfortunately, my great uncle died before I got all of his stories out, but he said he had been to Guadalcanal and the Phillipines before getting injured and sent back home. Doubly unfortunate is that I don't have HBO at the moment to watch this incredible series...
That's cool about your grandfather. Mine was also in Europe during WWII and flew Lockheed P-38's. He flew out of Italy and Africa and was part of the 14th Fighter Group.

Whisky Dog
03-19-2010, 08:23 AM
My grandfather and his brother both fought in Europe and his brother also in the Pacific. My grandfather was about a week or so away from going to the Pacific for the invasion when the war ended. He didn't sustain any major injuries but his brother had a horrific chest wound. I remember he still wore the patch over his chest until he died in the mid 2000's.

I thought the 1st episode was good, the night ambush where they just mowed them while having to move to keep from being flanked was a nice touch. So was the soldier going through the dead Japanese soldier's nap and finding the pictures.

Cane
03-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Compared to Band of Brother's premier I thought it was pretty boring. The special effects and cinematography are far superior though.

The characters and actors don't seem to captivate or hold your interest as well as guys like Ron Livingston, the FRIENDS guy, etc.

I'm still excited for The Pacific but so far it sucks compared to BOB.

tlongII
03-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Compared to Band of Brother's premier I thought it was pretty boring. The special effects and cinematography are far superior though.

The characters and actors don't seem to captivate or hold your interest as well as guys like Ron Livingston, the FRIENDS guy, etc.

I disagree. I thought the premiere was superior to that of BOB. More action.

coyotes_geek
03-19-2010, 10:02 AM

I won't go as far to say that it's boring or sucks, but I do agree the first episode left me a little underwhelmed. Still have high hopes though, I'm sure it will get better.

Cane
03-19-2010, 10:06 AM
I disagree. I thought the premiere was superior to that of BOB. More action.

Action-wise, BOB was more entertaining and plentiful imo. The premier for BOB was a two-parter and had the D-day paradrop and Lt. Winters leading Easy Company to destroy those guns pointed towards the beach. The Pacific only had a few minutes of pitch black fighting at Alligator Creek and that friendly fire incident.

My biggest beef though are the characters and actors; seems like a step down from BOB (Lt. Spears that gives the cig to the prisoners and shoots 'em, no Captain Sobel, Ron Livingston, and the rest of the bunch).

Still excited but definitely disappointed so far. Even the training episode for BOB was more entertaining.

Big P
03-19-2010, 10:14 AM

It's the first episode...give it some time..we needed to be introduced to the characters etc...there are 9 more to go..I'm pretty sure they wont be "boring".

Whisky Dog
03-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Ron Livingston and the guy who played Winters were great, don't know if this one will have that character depth, but even if not it should still be damn good. I have hopes for a couple of the characters.

rAm
03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Pretty sure you can watch the whole episode online here: http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html#/the-pacific/episodes/0/01-part-1/video/part-1-full-episode.html

phxspurfan
03-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Episode 2 tonite. Right during the Spurs game.

scampers
03-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Ron Livingston and the guy who played Winters were great, don't know if this one will have that character depth, but even if not it should still be damn good. I have hopes for a couple of the characters.

Characters seemed to stand out more in Band of Brothers. All the major ones pretty much stuck out from the very beginning. I was having trouble figuring out who was who in The Pacific's first episode... still good stuff though. Nice action scenes, and it's good to watch a quality show about the Pacific theater. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-21-2010, 10:16 PM
So far I'm not connecting with the characters like I did in Band of Brothers. The next episode seems to have little action and is more about showing us the characters so that will definitely fix this problem.

Whisky Dog
03-22-2010, 12:48 AM
A lot of night fighting so far, that one guy Basilone or however you spell it handling the machine gun bare handed getting third degree burns to mow the enemy was intense. Seems the curly haired skinny dude Lucky and him are the main characters so far.

Yeah, next week will be character drama episode.

phxspurfan
03-22-2010, 12:51 AM
So far I score it:

Band of Brothers: 20,000
Pacific: 28

TheTruth
03-22-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm loving The Pacific so far. Definitely a lot less character development as far as the secondary characters are concerned. I think that will change with the coming episodes.

Man Sauce
03-22-2010, 07:26 AM
I agree with cane and coyotes_geek so far I am not really impressed. Although I will keep watching but Band of Brothers way better.

Whisky Dog
03-22-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't know why some people would want a band of brothers clone. I'm not watching to see band of brothers Asian edition, I like that they took a different approach and different style with this one. I give them credit for that.

Cane
03-22-2010, 11:12 AM
The second episode was much better than the first; third degree burns ftl.

I don't know why some people would want a band of brothers clone. I'm not watching to see band of brothers Asian edition, I like that they took a different approach and different style with this one. I give them credit for that.

No one wants an identical clone, just a similar level of immersion and a sense of actually giving a damn about whats going on. The characters and acting in The Pacific are the biggest drawbacks so far but looks like they're on the right track. However BOB came out of the gate already having those qualities.

03-22-2010, 01:08 PM
No one wants an identical clone, just a similar level of immersion and a sense of actually giving a damn about whats going on. The characters and acting in The Pacific are the biggest drawbacks so far but looks like they're on the right track. However BOB came out of the gate already having those qualities.

It's next to impossible to pull that off with war in the Pacific. Where in BOB you could follow the entire unit from D-Day to the fall of Germany, you can't do that in the Pacific. The lynchpin battles weren't fought with the same units, so each campaign has (generally) its own cast. I don't have HBO, but did see the first episode and do agree that the characters could have used more "fleshing" out, but since I served in the Marines (who ingrain the history of the Corps into you so I'm familiar with the story of John Basilone) and have read the books two of the characters that the series is based on wrote ("With The Old Breed" and "Helmet For My Pillow").

The Gemini Method
03-22-2010, 02:17 PM
It's next to impossible to pull that off with war in the Pacific. Where in BOB you could follow the entire unit from D-Day to the fall of Germany, you can't do that in the Pacific. The lynchpin battles weren't fought with the same units, so each campaign has (generally) its own cast. I don't have HBO, but did see the first episode and do agree that the characters could have used more "fleshing" out, but since I served in the Marines (who ingrain the history of the Corps into you so I'm familiar with the story of John Basilone) and have read the books two of the characters that the series is based on wrote ("With The Old Breed" and "Helmet For My Pillow").

This. Couple in the fact that the War in the Pacific was the fore-bearer to how the Vietnamese fought during that conflict and you can see why it is difficult to produce the same imagery and grandeur that Band of Brothers had. That's not to say this series won't be as well-done, it is just a different animal. There is also a sense of unfair comparison when you put it up to the Band of Brothers. Island hoping without a visual landscape like the European backdrop can take a viewer some time to adjust. So far, I like the new series. I also still enjoy the hell out of the Band of Brothers.

DesignatedT
03-27-2010, 01:50 AM

Thats crazy. very similiar to my grandfather. he flew b17 in the air corps, flew his 25 missions + more. He was stationed in Italy but was getting ready to ship out to the pacific before the nukes happened... he always joked about how he was on the last boat to come back from Europe. he loooooved harry truman also.

Sisk
03-27-2010, 04:30 AM
needs more character development.. i could name one person's name in the series so far.. with BOB i knew many many more, of course i saw every episode and don't know if i knew the guys 3 episodes in.. but yeah i'll still watch all 10 episodes

Mark in Austin
03-27-2010, 09:50 AM
It's easier to follow characters when they are all together. In The Pacific we're following three different stories so each character's story has had 1/3 of the development time so far compared to Band of Brothers. Hell, the first episode of BoB was one giant character building exercise. After that you felt like you were part of Easy Company.

So far The Pacific has been damn impressive.

Strike
03-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Yup. It's gonna take some time for me to get the names matched to the faces. But so far, after 2 episodes, I'm hooked. The whole sequence with Agt. Basilone (the Marine with the machine gun and the 3rd-degree burns) was amazing.

phxspurfan
03-28-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm renaming episode 3 to "Get Some."

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm renaming episode 3 to "Get Some."
Exactly what I was thinking :toast

DesignatedT
03-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Episode 3 was pretty terrible.... 4 looks pretty good from the previews though.

jman3000
03-29-2010, 12:58 AM
damn... was having high hopes for the series, but from what i've read it seems kinda meh.

TDMVPDPOY
03-29-2010, 02:49 AM
would you guys agree theres not many good production from pacific or asian wars...

i wish they did a vietnam one where the guy pulls the trigger on t hat captured vc....thats a classic, someone has it as there sig

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Episode 3 was pretty terrible.... 4 looks pretty good from the previews though.

Sounds like you're only into the action. Each to his own.

I really enjoyed episode 3 because we finally got into some deeper character development, and also saw a side of the war that no-one really talks about.

One thing I couldn't figure out though, why was Basilone determined to fuck everything up? Mad about his friends' deaths on Guadalcanal? Feeling he's unworthy of the Medal of Honour (which he clearly earned)?

I like that we got a real feeling for Bob's character, and I also enjoyed the cameos from quite a few notable Australian actors and actresses.

They got a historical detail wrong though - we have never been a nation to drink beer out of mugs, we have always used glasses of various sizes with strange names like 'pot'/'middy' and 'schooner':

http://www.genx40.com/images/2005/ozbeersize.jpg

MaNuMaNiAc
03-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Its hard to believe this is from the same guys that brought us Band of Brothers... Seriously, the acting is fucking atrocious. The first two episodes blew. Haven't watched the third yet. Not sure I'm gonna either. Seriously disappointed.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-29-2010, 07:18 AM
would you guys agree theres not many good production from pacific or asian wars...

i wish they did a vietnam one where the guy pulls the trigger on t hat captured vc....thats a classic, someone has it as there sig

Nope, plenty of great Vietnam War movies (Platoon and Hamburger Hill just for starters), and some pretty good Pacific War movies if you don't mind the historical inaccuracies and '60s/'70s effects. And then there is Thin Red Line which I really didn't get until I saw it for a third time and realised its brilliance.

Cane
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Episode 3 basically sucked ass. The last 20 minutes were decent but other than that it was slow and boring. Of course not all episodes need to be action packed but they should at least be entertaining which it failed to do. Definitely building up for the next episode but the acting and plot was like it came out of a daytime soap opera and simply failed to captivate one's interest and like the first episode will never be seen again for me which is a stark contrast to Band of Brothers where I've seen all the episodes multiple times. However The Pacific's cinematography and special effects are still damn nice though.

I agree that the Pacific campaign has some pretty shitty movies. Thin Red Line, Flags of our Fathers, Pearl Harbor...all pretty bad especially compared to Euro WW2 and Vietnam War films.

tlongII
03-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Episode 3 was very good. Here was the character development that everyone's been clamoring for and still some of you tools aren't satisfied. :rolleyes

Cane
03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Episode 3 was very good. Here was the character development that everyone's been clamoring for and still some of you tools aren't satisfied. :rolleyes

Having character development is fine and necessary, it just wasn't executed well or in an interesting way. It felt forced, unbelievable, and too cliche. Its probably just building up for the next episode but for the most part, episode 3 was the worst episode out of both miniseries imo.

coyotes_geek
03-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I'll concur with those saying that so far The Pacific has underwhelmed.

phxspurfan
03-29-2010, 12:07 PM

That's Joker in Full Metal Jacket, I believe.

JoeChalupa
03-29-2010, 02:37 PM
I miss not having HBO.

Mark in Austin
03-29-2010, 02:54 PM
and I also enjoyed the cameos from quite a few notable Australian actors and actresses.

So who was that STUNNING girl who violated "articles" I & II at the end of the episode with the shyest Marine ever? I'm not usually prone to wanting to know more about bit actors in something I'm watching, but she was mesmerizing.

Jacob1983
03-29-2010, 11:20 PM
The episode sucked because there was no killing. No battles at all. I guess the people running the show wanted to let the characters have some fun in one episode and get some pussy. The next episode better get back to the battles and stay away from the guys getting pussy.

Technique
03-30-2010, 01:28 AM
episode three was so so, i really started to love lekky as a character. going to look forward to what happens to him next episode, besides lekky it was rather slow, but i rather enjoyed the depth of the episode without the battles

Sisk
03-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Having character development is fine and necessary, it just wasn't executed well or in an interesting way. It felt forced, unbelievable, and too cliche. Its probably just building up for the next episode but for the most part, episode 3 was the worst episode out of both miniseries imo.

:toast

montgod
03-30-2010, 01:40 AM
I miss not having HBO.

Who needs HBO? You have the internet don't you?

Cane
04-05-2010, 10:56 AM
The fourth episode was better than the one before but thats not necessarily saying much since that one imo was the worst of both Band of Brothers and The Pacific. However like the third, it seems to be building up to a climax of some kind which is what the previews for the fifth episode point to as well since it looks like a battle-packed episode.

The special effects and cinematography are awesome as usual and the characters, acting, and the "do I give a damn about whats going on" has been improving.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-05-2010, 07:29 PM
The episode sucked because there was no killing. No battles at all. I guess the people running the show wanted to let the characters have some fun in one episode and get some pussy. The next episode better get back to the battles and stay away from the guys getting pussy.

You really don't get it, do you? BoB and The Pacific aren't about glorifying war, they are about telling the true story of what happens to people in war, uncovering the full horror of it. It's not being made to satisfy your bloodlust, it's about getting you to better understand what really happened.

If you just want to watch mindless gore and violence, go find something else, because these are not the shows for you.

coyotes_geek
04-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Bump. Finally got a chance to dig episode 6 off the dvr last night. I really enjoyed it. I thought the last 2 episodes have gotten noticeably better.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Its true that the episodes have gotten a bit better, but the quality of acting still leaves a lot to be desired. Average if you ask me, specially since its supposed to follow one of the best miniseries in history.

G-Nob
04-21-2010, 04:32 PM
The fourth episode was better than the one before but thats not necessarily saying much since that one imo was the worst of both Band of Brothers and The Pacific. However like the third, it seems to be building up to a climax of some kind which is what the previews for the fifth episode point to as well since it looks like a battle-packed episode.

The special effects and cinematography are awesome as usual and the characters, acting, and the "do I give a damn about whats going on" has been improving.

Here's your climax: We take both iwa jima and okinawa. Then Truman nukes nagasaki and hiroshima. The End.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-21-2010, 04:51 PM
I still don't feel any connection to the characters like in BoB. Maybe that will change in the coming episodes, I really hope so.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Watched two or three episodes and it didn't hook me or hold my attention.

I've moved on.

tlongII
04-21-2010, 08:11 PM
I think it's great.

tlongII
04-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Great show tonight.

benefactor
06-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Finally getting around to this. 4 episodes in and it's good so far.

Xevious
06-09-2018, 09:29 PM
I liked Band of Brothers... have to watch this one some day.

benefactor
06-09-2018, 10:36 PM
I liked Band of Brothers... have to watch this one some day.
The character development isn't quite at good, but it definitely has the same feel. Well worth it.