PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Island Ending

RedsLakers24
02-20-2010, 02:35 AM
Can Someone Explain it To Me?

monosylab1k
02-20-2010, 03:12 AM
I haven't seen it yet, all I know is one thing - Leo was orgasmically good in this movie. He always is.

CubanSucks
02-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Me and my friends were all arguing about it. Still don't really know. Great movie. Great music that gived me chills also. Though they did kinda rap it up too fast. And of course there's the assholes who love to laugh at the most inappropriate times.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Though they did kinda rap it up too fast.

dude, it's scorcese. that's his trademark.

oh, and "gived"?:wakeup

ace3g
02-20-2010, 01:03 PM
basically Leo is a patient at Shutter Island, he use to be a Marshall but after his wife killed their 3 kids, he kills her and becomes crazy and comes up with this story in his head that creates a different story on how his wife is killed (man with the scar burns their apartment that kills her). The doctors on Shutter Island do a role playing scheme where they have Leo come to the Island as a Marshall to find the guy that killed his wife.

at the end of the movie Leo actually realizes he is sane again and forgets the other characters , identities he made up, but he says the line "either die a good man, or live as a monster" right after that he pretends to revert back to his insane self so that he can have the lobotomy and die but forget that he killed his wife and that she killed his kids instead of being sane and living as a monster and remembering what he did to his wife and what she did to his kids

desflood
02-20-2010, 01:06 PM
basically Leo is a patient at Shutter Island, he use to be a Marshall but after his wife killed their 3 kids, he kills her and becomes crazy and comes up with this story in his head that creates a different story on how his wife is killed (man with the scar burns their apartment that kills her). The doctors on Shutter Island do a role playing scheme where they have Leo come to the Island as a Marshall to find the guy that killed his wife.

at the end of the movie Leo actually realizes he is sane again and forgets the other characters , identities he made up, but he says the line "either die a good man, or live as a monster" right after that he pretends to revert back to his insane self so that he can have the lobotomy and die but forget that he killed his wife and that she killed his kids instead of being sane and living as a monster and remembering what he did to his wife and what she did to his kids
I'm a little dizzy right now.

ace3g
02-20-2010, 01:07 PM
its kind of like the "you die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" line from the Dark Knight with Two-Face Harvey Dent

BlackSwordsMan
02-20-2010, 01:32 PM
did anyone else cry?

MiamiHeat
02-20-2010, 01:35 PM
so his wife kills their 3 kids, and he takes her out for it

and he feels bad about this? i mean, it's questionable and wrong to kill her, but still, it's not out of left field and crazy.

movie sounds like it sucks, or would be boring.

plus, from what you describe, seems like the trailers are misleading

Das Texan
02-20-2010, 03:38 PM

and he feels bad about this? i mean, it's questionable and wrong to kill her, but still, it's not out of left field and crazy.

that and he feels guilty about not getting his wife help after she burned down their apartment building. I'd say its not so much him killing her that drives him crazy, but that he feels responsible for his kid's death by essentially 'letting' his wife get off with arson when he feels he could have maybe prevented hte death of his kids ultimately.

Dr. Gonzo
02-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Ace pretty much summed it up but personally I don't believe the doctors. I think he is on fact being fucked with by the doctors to hide what they are doing.

I thought it was a very good movie. I was extremely pleased with all of it except the score. It was way too overdone.

BlackSwordsMan
02-20-2010, 04:15 PM

I guess when 3 of your kids die and you murder your wife you'd be sane

MiamiHeat
02-20-2010, 04:54 PM
son, takes a lot more than some hoe to take me down

rr2418
02-21-2010, 01:48 PM

I got the impression in the end that Leo has not recovered and still believes he is investigating this case. The doctors were hoping to see some change but it didn't happen.

ace3g
02-21-2010, 02:18 PM
he did show that he had recovered and then right after he says "either die a good man or live as a monster" he changes instantly, he pretends to be insane so he can die and forget about all the trauma in his life.

ofcourse you can also take it that he was right that he was correct about the island and they were using the patients and turning them into ghosts and returning them to society as agents. So the doctors convinced him that he was crazy like the other patients said they would try to do to him and took him to the lighthouse to give the operation.

Rip-Hamilton32
02-21-2010, 08:38 PM
i enjoyed it although i thought it was going to be more of a scary movie then it was

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Ace pretty much summed it up but personally I don't believe the doctors. I think he is on fact being fucked with by the doctors to hide what they are doing.

I thought it was a very good movie. I was extremely pleased with all of it except the score. It was way too overdone.

Thats what I think too, because you see the doctor with the ice pick, which the main guy denied (that they did anything sick or twisted)

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-21-2010, 09:10 PM
And yes the trailers were extremely misleading, they were made to look like the movie was a horror film, but it was an amazing movie regardless

jack sommerset
02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
I thought the movie was pretty good. I missed about 30 minutes here and there. See, I had the beer shits. Left the theater 3 times to shoot water out my ass.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the play by play, Jack.

There's already a decent cam torrent out. Can't wait to check it out.

spursfan09
02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
I saw it. I really liked it. I think he's just a patient.

mFFL03
02-22-2010, 11:41 PM
SPOILER

I already knew something was up in the first 5 minutes when they arrive at the island. When teddy and chuck leave the boat and step onto the surface the guards lift up their guns as if to protect themselves.....against US Marshalls?

leemajors
02-23-2010, 12:27 AM
It could have been really good if it was 30 minutes shorter. Excellent acting, cinematography, good story, but I was waiting for it to be over.

DPG21920
02-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Just watched the movie and I agree with this. But just to throw something out there, what if Leo was right about the island and he knew the only way to get off the island would be to play the part of the "relapse" guy.

There are a few thing that could suggest this:

1) It is said in the movie that what they are doing is turning these patients into ghosts. They do the brain surgeries then release them into the "real world" to carry out these deeds. That is how the inmate George got out and how he told Leo about what happened. This is why Leo said he was there, "to blow the lid off of this place".

2) Leo, while on the island confirms what is going on, but has the realization that everyone is in on it. So it becomes clear to Leo that the only way to get off the island is to get himself into the surgery and to become a "ghost". This is how he can get back to the real world. Risky though?

3) The reason Leo might think this could work is because at the beginning when the doctor is explaining what the lobotomies do to the patients, the doctor says "it helps them to forget what they have done". The key is how Leo responds to that. He says, "you can never take away all of someone's memory". So basically he is just betting that even if they mess with his brain and do the surgery, that he can get out and still remember the truth. This is his only chance.

That is just a thought of a possible "other" meaning to the end.

spursfan09
02-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Next time, I need to watch this moving not drunk. I liked the music alot though.

760Spursfan
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
I liked the movie and believe that Leo is a patient:

When he is talking to george in the cell he asks him who did this to you and george replies you did meaning Andrew Laitus(Leo's Character).

when the doctors are talking to him in the light house they say that he was showing signs of improvement 9 months before but regressed.

good movie all in all and gonna watch the Crazies tonight!!1

benefactor
02-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Just got back. Great film. Ace's interpretation seems to be the most plausible and is the conclusion I left with.

ynh
02-28-2010, 02:01 AM
I must of really missed something cause I thought this movie was more like Shitter Island.

The only thing I think wasn't mentioned on here is that in the end the doctors were the real monsters and not Leo. After Leo says what he says Chuck (I think that was his "partners" name) knows that he is faking it so that he can live without knowing what happened. What makes the doctors monsters is the fact that they let the preception that the treatment didn't work go on.. if you remember right the treatment was experimental and it was supposed to help tons of patients had it worked.. which it did.. but after Leo faked it all the funding was gone and all the patients that could of been cured never will see treatment. So in that manner in the larger scope of things that doctors were actually the monsters, Killing many to save one... where as Leo only killed one.

Shitty ass movie though.. I don't know why people liked it.. predictable as hell.. way too obvious foreshadowing... Besides I don't get why people like to watch those "ha ha fuck you you really weren't watching what you thought you were watching for the past 2 hours" movies.. they are chleche (sp) as hell, and lazy ass stoytelling IMO

Last Comic Standing
02-28-2010, 02:27 AM
The original ending before the edit he takes a ride in a 1949 Buick Roadmaste with Tom Cruise as they head for Vegas to play blackjack.

redzero
03-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I just saw this.

MIND=BLOWN

Kriz-Maxima
03-13-2010, 09:57 PM
I enjoyed it, visually it was very appealing. I would have liked it better had it been a tad shorter but the length didn't bother me enough to turn me off of it.

I think he is a patient, because well, it was obvious at the end, or at least that's what was implied. Something that reinforces it for me was the scene where he comes back after talking to the missing woman and the other patient he had supposedly met on the outside. When they bring him back in he sees the bunch of people coming out of a room and he says "staff meeting?" and then the doctor answers yes. The problem was there were "patients" among the people he had just identified as staff members.

redzero
03-14-2010, 01:29 AM
I enjoyed it, visually it was very appealing. I would have liked it better had it been a tad shorter but the length didn't bother me enough to turn me off of it.

I think he is a patient, because well, it was obvious at the end, or at least that's what was implied. Something that reinforces it for me was the scene where he comes back after talking to the missing woman and the other patient he had supposedly met on the outside. When they bring him back in he sees the bunch of people coming out of a room and he says "staff meeting?" and then the doctor answers yes. The problem was there were "patients" among the people he had just identified as staff members.

I know what you're talking about, but I didn't even make a connection when I was watching that scene. I should have, though.

dirk4mvp
03-14-2010, 02:07 AM
Great movie, imho. Leo doesn't fail to deliver tbh.

JudynTX
03-14-2010, 01:05 PM
I saw this last night, it was good, but left me confused. Oh well.

mookie2001
03-21-2010, 12:26 AM
two thumbs down

wasnt really confusing just a long drawn out ending

very slow paced, long winded, and not scary

and OF COURSE it had the cliche little gray dead girl saying "im dead daddy/mommy", very original

it was all just a dream endings are lazy filmmaking at its laziest, you could see it coming the moment he had his first vision or voices or hallucinations

and come on what did you think was going to happen when one minute after he walked into the creepy mental institution he was investigating, he asks the old bald british doctor (ghandi), "uhhh i have a headache, do you have any pills you can give me?"

give me a break if you couldnt tell he would end up as a patient after he told his partner on the ferry his wife died in a fire, then one minute later its spelled out for you when he asks for drugs, the twist werent surprising at all they let you know in the first 3 minutes

mookie2001
03-21-2010, 12:31 AM
predictable as hell.. way too obvious foreshadowing... Besides I don't get why people like to watch those "ha ha fuck you you really weren't watching what you thought you were watching for the past 2 hours" movies.. they are chleche (sp) as hell, and lazy ass stoytelling IMO
just read

exactly

koriwhat
03-21-2010, 07:18 PM
son, takes a lot more than some hoe to take me down

whatever man! you were crying because no women would talk to you on gay ass chat roulette.