PDA

View Full Version : If we really love Tim Duncan as a fan...

5ī8 308lbs
02-20-2010, 04:39 AM
Letīs trade him to a contender next year and give him a chance to win another title. He deserves and letīs face it, the Spurs need to move on and start to rebuild...

Sign In If you agree!!!! :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Should have sent him to Denver b4 the deadline. The Nuggets need a big man who will show up on a nightly basis :lol

CubanSucks
02-20-2010, 04:48 AM
You're an idiot.

TJastal
02-20-2010, 05:10 AM
Signed.

Duncan deserves to end his career competing for championships, not going through a painful rebuilding process with a lottery team and a bonehead of a coach

AussieFanKurt
02-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Signed.

GeraldWallace
02-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Come to Bobcats Timmy. We'd get you one last ring!

Bruno
02-20-2010, 07:03 AM
If Spurs continue to suck this year, the first thing Pop should do this offseason is asking to Tim want he want: retire as a Spurs (with the assumption he will never win #5) or be traded to a true contender.

If Tim decides to stay, Spurs should re-sign Manu, spend their MLE and try to do some trades to improve the team now.

If Tim rather choose to be traded to a contender, Spurs should trade him for expiring contract and prospects/picks and start rebuilding. The rest of the plan would be to let Manu go, trade Parker for expiring contracts and prospects/picks, let RJ contract expire and go with a young coach.

mudyez
02-20-2010, 07:12 AM
If Spurs continue to suck this year, the first thing Pop should do this offseason is asking to Tim want he want: retire as a Spurs (with the assumption he will never win #5) or be traded to a true contender.

If Tim decides to stay, Spurs should re-sign Manu, spend their MLE and try to do some trades to improve the team now.

If Tim rather choose to be traded to a contender, Spurs should trade him for expiring contract and prospects/picks and start rebuilding. The rest of the plan would be to let Manu go, trade Parker for expiring contracts and prospects/picks, let RJ contract expire and go with a young coach.

Agree: Timmy should be the one who decides!!! Actually I dont see him leaving the Spurs, or for that matter, wanting to do so no matter what happens. But if he really likes to chase another ship, so be it...After all, it seems to be the best thing for the Spurs, too. At that point we are not going anywhere and we are handcuffed in terms of improving with Timmy on board. A trade, that would give us a nice young player+one or two 1st rounders shouldn't be hard to find, if we really want to.

Hope Timmy will retire as a Spur, even if it means, going trough some though years, in which we are going nowhere...beeing stuck in the middle of the pack. I take that over seeing Timmy in another jersey, but whats more important: I want Timmy to be happy! He deserves it and should be the one who chooses!

And dont forget: Timmy also is a perfect menthor to young biggs, which we might bring in at some point! Which other player would you choose over Timmy in that regard?

kace
02-20-2010, 07:20 AM

yeah, and let's burn the AT&T center to rebuild a new court.

OVERREACTION.

Josepatches_
02-20-2010, 08:37 AM

If Tim stays I will trade Parker and let Manu go anyway.We aren't going to win so there is not reason to lose more years.Rebuilt.Next year we will be in the lottery.Tim will end his career as a Spur and if we are lucky in the NBA draft he could be the David Robinson of new franchise player.

Capt Bringdown
02-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Obviously if you're a Spurs fan, you hope Tim retires as a Spur. But after all he's done for the team, whatever he wants to do is OK with me.
Except if he wants to become a Laker, of course.

Bruno
02-20-2010, 08:58 AM
If Tim stays I will trade Parker and let Manu go anyway.We aren't going to win so there is not reason to lose more years.Rebuilt.Next year we will be in the lottery.Tim will end his career as a Spur and if we are lucky in the NBA draft he could be the David Robinson of new franchise player.

:td
Spurs won't have the time to tank a year and rebuild a good team before Duncan retire.

I don't know for you but seeing Tim ending his NBA career with a Spurs' team winning 20 games per year is the last thing I want to see.

Mr.Robinson
02-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Tim would never ask to be traded. Tim would never play for another coach. Tim would never bust a Shaq. Tim is the rarest superstar/great the sports world has ever seen.

benefactor
02-20-2010, 09:29 AM

OVERREACTION.
It's pointless to keep Manu and Parker if Duncan is gone. Neither are going to help this team contend going forwards. It's far better to get picks and young prospects and start over from the bottom.

Mr. Body
02-20-2010, 09:35 AM

First thing to do if they continue to suck is get rid of Popovich. Probably Buford right away, too, or we'll wind up with absolute shit in return for Duncan.

kace
02-20-2010, 09:46 AM
It's pointless to keep Manu and Parker if Duncan is gone. Neither are going to help this team contend going forwards. It's far better to get picks and young prospects and start over from the bottom.

firstly, i do'nt see any reason to trade Tim.

Tim is making a lot of money for the next 2 years and a half, i'm not sure, as great as he is, that there are a lot of teams interested in him at this price. not that he isn't worth it, but obviously his last good years are the few next ones. don't see any team doing this.

the way i see it, the best chance for Tim to win another title the next three years is with SA. after that, if he wants to keep playing for less money, that could be another story.

and anyway, even without Tim, i cant' see why an all star point guard like tony and a great experienced winner like manu wouldn't be useful to rebuild. Of course, it depends on their next contract. but you can't win shit with only young prospects.

Jace
02-20-2010, 10:45 AM
firstly, i do'nt see any reason to trade Tim.

Tim is making a lot of money for the next 2 years and a half, i'm not sure, as great as he is, that there are a lot of teams interested in him at this price. not that he isn't worth it, but obviously his last good years are the few next ones. don't see any team doing this.

the way i see it, the best chance for Tim to win another title the next three years is with SA. after that, if he wants to keep playing for less money, that could be another story.

and anyway, even without Tim, i cant' see why an all star point guard like tony and a great experienced winner like manu wouldn't be useful to rebuild. Of course, it depends on their next contract. but you can't win shit with only young prospects.

Tim would be somewhat difficult to shop due to his contract/age, but i think the Rockets would have gone after him..pair him up with their current roster and they could contend..pair him with Yao and they could dominate

Could have done a straight up T-Mac for Duncan

Nuggets might have gotten in on it(although a lot of their money is tied up in 3 players, Nene/Melo/Billups and the only tradeable piece would be Nene)

Tony is breaking down at just age 27, I wouldn't count on him to continue being an All Star in the future..

Manu is a good piece if you can get him at a good price

scottspurs
02-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Tim Duncan is great, but Spurs>Tim Duncan. If Tim Duncan wasn't a Spur I would wish him the best, but I only root for the spurs. Tim Duncan should never wear another uniform. For me that would make those 4 titles even more special that a lifetime spur lead the way.

8FOR!3
02-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Dude chill. David Robinson was a great and the first three quarters of his career he didn't get an NBA title. Timmy's given a lot to San Antonio and the city's given a lot to Tim. Every team has their tough years. This may or may not be one of those, it's still February and we're still on the verge of winning the conference, God knows Dallas has been trying to let us take the #1 spot. If Tim Duncan ever asks to be traded, I'll support him wherever he goes, until that day, which I don't think will ever happen, then he deserves to remain a Spur.

I-Ball
02-20-2010, 10:59 AM
damps expiring contract for timmy? :toast

cuban wouldn't mind his remaining years and numbers of his contract, if he would get him imho.

TacoCabanaFajitas
02-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Dude chill. David Robinson was a great and the first three quarters of his career he didn't get an NBA title. Timmy's given a lot to San Antonio and the city's given a lot to Tim. Every team has their tough years. This may or may not be one of those, it's still February and we're still on the verge of winning the conference, God knows Dallas has been trying to let us take the #1 spot. If Tim Duncan ever asks to be traded, I'll support him wherever he goes, until that day, which I don't think will ever happen, then he deserves to remain a Spur.

On the verge of winning the conference? Wtf are you watching? Dumbass.
Anyone that honestly believes in this team still is blind. Athleticism has been a weak point since 2007, and in 3 years since nothing has been done to address the issue. Yeah every team has tough years, but not when their centerpiece is on the declining side of his career. Tim has maybe 2 years left where we can tally double-doubles consistently, let the man go if he chooses. He's earned it

OrEmuN
02-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Only if Duncan personally request to leave....

I know loyalty is no longer valued but I do think that Duncan will stick with San Antonio even if he does not win any more title, taking the Steve Nash approach kinda. While it may be hard on him to carry the team for next couple of years, given the crappy play by his teammates this year, I think at the end of the road, we will remember him dearly for the joys he brought to us when he won the 4 rings.

NRHector
02-20-2010, 01:13 PM
first thing to do if they continue to suck is get rid of popovich. Probably buford right away, too, or we'll wind up with absolute shit in return for duncan.+10000000000000000

Chomag
02-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Nah, just trade Pop and we would be back in business.

vander
02-20-2010, 01:24 PM
OP's Idea is late, unoriginal, and fails at providing awesome suggestion

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146687

8FOR!3
02-20-2010, 01:26 PM
On the verge of winning the conference? Wtf are you watching? Dumbass.
Anyone that honestly believes in this team still is blind. Athleticism has been a weak point since 2007, and in 3 years since nothing has been done to address the issue. Yeah every team has tough years, but not when their centerpiece is on the declining side of his career. Tim has maybe 2 years left where we can tally double-doubles consistently, let the man go if he chooses. He's earned it

Take a chill pill, I meant the division...

dbreiden83080
02-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Only happen if he pushes for it, but it will be real intersting to see how the off-season goes. He'll be 34 next year, and he needs more help than ever before..

Bartleby
02-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Tim would be somewhat difficult to shop due to his contract/age,

:lmao

This is a whole new level of stupid

z0sa
02-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Tim wouldn't pull some dramatic move like that on his own part, but if the Spurs decided to completely blow the team up and offered him the chance, he just might take it.

fusionjazzman72
02-20-2010, 02:01 PM

:toast

da_suns_fan
02-20-2010, 02:10 PM
You guys are ridiculous.

Duncan "deserves" to be on a winner blah blah blah

The dudes making...what? 20 million a season? I think he deserves to have to play basketball for the Spurs for the rest of his life.

Double-Up
02-20-2010, 02:15 PM

IMO you don't trade away the face of your franchise and the reason for the 4 rings just because you have a couple down seasons. You must do whatever it takes to win now and make your team a title contender. He's already won rings so I'm sure being on a contender isn't that big of a deal especially since he's making tons of money anyways and gets to stay where he's appreciated the most.

SpurCharger
02-20-2010, 03:00 PM
This Is Timmy's Choice. He Has Earned That, I hope I never See Him In Another Jersey.

DPG21920
02-20-2010, 04:31 PM

What do you think this team can do theoretically to make themselves a contender over the next two years? We only know this:

1) Tim, Manu & TP are no longer a championship core.

2) Spurs will be in a tough spot financially next year.

superjames1992
02-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Good Lord, people. This forum is becoming like the Twilight Zone.

I'd be laughing my ass off if I was a fan of another team reading these threads.

cdcast
02-20-2010, 05:02 PM
The key to this summer will be Parker and RJ. Can the Spurs get anything significant in a Parker trade and RJ trade? If they can, they could reload for next season.

They'll have Splitter for the MLE and a first rd. pick.

They'll have to re-sign Manu. By letting him go for nothing, that's another spot to fill with no way to replace him.

ShoogarBear
02-20-2010, 05:05 PM
. . .

Pop is interested in playing you at center.

ohmwrecker
02-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Tim would never ask to be traded. Tim would never play for another coach. Tim would never bust a Shaq.

Really?! Just watch him.

HarlemHeat37
02-20-2010, 05:10 PM
I think it's more likely that Duncan would just retire IMO..

If he is traded, I think there will still be suitors for him, despite his large contract..he's still gonna be good enough to be a legit #2 option on a title contender for the next 2 season IMO..

benefactor
02-20-2010, 05:27 PM
They aren't going to win anything with Parker and Manu either. Manu is nowhere close to his former self...and he is only going to regress more from here on out. If he would accept a very reasonable deal then it could be considered. It's not really worth 8 million or so a year for the next few years if the team is in full rebuild mode.

Parker is going to want a raise from his current contract. He has an awful lot of miles on him to invest 16-17 million a year over the next three or four seasons. The other problem is that developing young players will be more difficult with Parker leading the team. He is a score first point guard that isn't that great at setting up his teammates. When in full rebuild mode, the Spurs would benefit more from a distributing point that can get the whole team involved. Parker is great working together with Duncan and is great at getting to the rim. Take Duncan away and Parker becomes a scorer that can win games for the team, but can't carry them to a title and can't really help the new players develop their own strengths.

If Duncan decides he is done, then it's all done.

Bruno
02-20-2010, 05:59 PM
What do you think this team can do theoretically to make themselves a contender over the next two years? We only know this:

1) Tim, Manu & TP are no longer a championship core.

2) Spurs will be in a tough spot financially next year.

I'm not sure Spurs will be able to be again a true contender but
they should be able to be a good team and be able to offer a decent end of career to Tim.

Spurs aren't in a that bad situation financially wise for the next year. They will be able to re-sign Manu and to spend their MLE without going too deep in the luxury tax territory.

If Spurs do a trade this summer or at the next trade deadline, the key will be Jefferson contract. A $15.2M expiring contract is a nice trade asset.

HarlemHeat37
02-20-2010, 06:17 PM
I think we could still make a run for 1 more year if the FO is interested..I'm sure the Spurs COULD flip Jefferson for a guy like Iguodala, I would be shocked if Philly didn't do it, considering they've been trying to trade him for months..the key would be whether or not the Spurs FO would want to pay Iggy for the next 3-4 years..

Get Manu back on a reasonable contract + get Splitter with part of the MLE..we still have a 1st round pick for next year..Hairston is on a cheap contract next year, actually play him..fill the rest with minimum players that won't play..hope Tony rests for the Summer and comes back strong next year..

PG Parker(13.65 mil)
SG Hill(0.85 mil)
SF Iguodala(12.35 mil)
PF Splitter(???)
C Duncan(18.84 mil)

Manu(???)
Blair(0.92 mil)
Hairston(0.85 mil)
McDyess(4.86 mil)
*1st round pick*(1.6 mil or so)

The rest of the roster wouldn't matter since they wouldn't play, just sign vet minimum players..that wouldn't be too hard on the luxury tax..

Personally, I don't think the FO would sign off on a guy like Iguodala since his contract is long, but I think that is a roster that could win a title..it would make Duncan-Parker-Iggy the big 3 while making Manu an elite role player..then there is adequate size with Splitter + athletic players in Hill/Hairston/Iggy/1st round pick..

If it doesn't work out..Tony's contract expires at the end of the year(unless there is something with an extension), McDyess basically expires, Duncan can retire..if it doesn't work, the rebuilding can begin the next season..

I can dream..

DPG21920
02-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Lets say best case scenario the Spurs sign Manu to a 3 year 18M contract. They will probably have to use most, if not all the MLE on Tiago to have a serious shot at bringing him over.

If the Spurs cannot swing a deal or until they swing a deal, this scenario puts the Spurs as follows:

Tim Duncan
Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili
Richard Jefferson
Antonio McDyess
Dejuan Blair
George Hill
Malik Hairston
Tiago Splitter

9 players and approximately $65M in salaries.

That roster is not a contender and appears to be the most likely scenario if no trade happens. The question is, if this is the reality does it make sense to go this route? Does just adding Tiago/Malik to the mix make the team slightly more competitive than they are this year?

HarlemHeat37
02-20-2010, 06:40 PM
No it doesn't..moving Jefferson is the only option to compete IMO..it comes down to that or rebuilding IMO..

Adding a 1st round pick will also help too, since our pick isn't going to be that low this year..

mookie2001
02-20-2010, 06:50 PM
The team should move to Vancouver too

spurs1990
02-20-2010, 11:09 PM
I know this sounds like heresy, but I've always liked seeing Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant play together, and if that scenario can't happen in Spurs' silver and black, then I'd be interesting to see them together on another team.

Duncan deserves plenty of leeway, so if he was up for it, then the Spurs should explore deals.

Personally, I'd never believe he'd go that route...just isn't his norm.

slayermin
02-20-2010, 11:26 PM

Pop is interested in playing you at center.

:lol

peskypesky
02-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Signed.

The greatest PF of all-time deserves a real chance to win another ring. It's not going to happen with the Spurs, and he has given this team enough. Four championship trophies. I want to see Duncan get that 5th ring much more than I want to see him play his heart out for another season on a team that is going nowhere fast.

ElNono
02-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Really, what bothers me the most about these decisions (no trading, small ball, shit rotations) is that they hurt TD the most, and he deserves better. A lot better.

L.I.T
02-20-2010, 11:44 PM
No it doesn't..moving Jefferson is the only option to compete IMO..it comes down to that or rebuilding IMO..

Adding a 1st round pick will also help too, since our pick isn't going to be that low this year..

I agree.

If we are dreaming, going into this summer as well, the RJeff/Dice contracts could be attractive in sign and trade scenarios; especially if as you say the Spurs could sweeten the deal with draft picks.

Say what we will about the FO, but they have been able to play around with contracts pretty well. If they could only figure out how to use them...

johngateswhiteley
02-21-2010, 12:14 AM
this thread sucks dick.

mookie2001
02-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Uhh yes some chode suggested we owe it to Tim to make him a laker

God help us what kind of world are our children going to grow up in?

Mikesatx
02-21-2010, 01:40 AM
With this logic a four time NBA Championship franchise deserves a fan base that can stomach some tough years. Lets allow the team to move to a city without an upset stomach and a sack of balls.

Baseline
02-21-2010, 02:09 AM
Timmy to Cleveland. He can take Shaquille's place, or Z's place, and seriously upgrade that roster. It would keep LeBron in Cleveland, and Timmy would be playing for Mike Brown and Danny Ferry, who are family anyway.

Tim would get rings in the last two years of his contract, and even more if he wants to play longer.

So if Timmy goes to Cleveland this summer, he coul end up with 6 rings by 2012. Hmmm...guess who else had 6 rings?

Could it be....GOAT...Timmy.

cdcast
02-21-2010, 02:28 AM
Spurs need to see what they can get for Parker this summer. Could they get a couple of young players (PG and big man) for him? Then trade RJ's expiring contract for Iggy or someone similar. If they can get 3 or 4 solid players out of those two trades, they could make one last run with Tim plus have a good, young nucleus when he retires.

mookie2001
02-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Timmy to Cleveland. He can take Shaquille's place, or Z's place, and seriously upgrade that roster. It would keep LeBron in Cleveland, and Timmy would be playing for Mike Brown and Danny Ferry, who are family anyway.

Tim would get rings in the last two years of his contract, and even more if he wants to play longer.

So if Timmy goes to Cleveland this summer, he coul end up with 6 rings by 2012. Hmmm...guess who else had 6 rings?

Could it be....GOAT...Timmy.You can only dream huh?

Dex
02-21-2010, 03:50 AM
You can only dream huh?

You really want Timmy to ride the coattail of Lebron?

Sounds more like a nightmare.

intlspurshk
02-21-2010, 04:08 AM
I would trade TIm to Thunder as K Durant is for real and Tim can still compete for a champ instead of being seen as Gary Paton or Loser Malone. Thunder also have ability to absorb contract and, with their skillful GM, I believe they can assemble a great team

The alternative choice is Blazers as they have good young pieces for SPURS in return and a wealthy owner. I doubt Cavs is a good choice as they have too many ok but not great players and the team locked itself in for a few long contracts

Sisk
02-21-2010, 04:33 AM
This thread sucks

Rogue
02-21-2010, 04:35 AM
despite how bad the Spurs suck, I'm pretty sure SA would still turn a gigantic supermarket once the Spurs are pronounced rebuilding.

Rogue
02-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Most of their 1st unit players are fairly old. such players are targets for contenders while are always what a rebuilding team needs to get rid of. Genuinely I wish the Spurs would get the most from their current stocks and join back to the range of contenders as soon as possible, to remake the whole body of "texas triangle". The Rockets have already made a good start, now it's time for Spurs to do their part.

Mr.Robinson
02-21-2010, 05:25 AM
Really?! Just watch him.

Really? I have. Ever since his "Cookie" days at Wake. Tim will never do that.

Mr.Robinson
02-21-2010, 05:28 AM
With this logic a four time NBA Championship franchise deserves a fan base that can stomach some tough years. Lets allow the team to move to a city without an upset stomach and a sack of balls.

I'm with you. I think most "so called fans" were bandwagon fans. I'll stick with this team through another 21-61 season.

ohmwrecker
02-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Really? I have. Ever since his "Cookie" days at Wake. Tim will never do that.

Well, aren't you special? I have watched Timmy since his Wake days as well, and while he is a stand-up guy and fiercely loyal, above all else he is a competitor that wants to win and will not tolerate losing. If you think Tim is going to waste his last years on a rebuilding team, you are out of your mind.

Mr.Robinson
02-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Well, aren't you special? I have watched Timmy since his Wake days as well, and while he is a stand-up guy and fiercely loyal, above all else he is a competitor that wants to win and will not tolerate losing. If you think Tim is going to waste his last years on a rebuilding team, you are out of your mind.

You sound like a bandwagon fan.

ohmwrecker
02-21-2010, 04:21 PM
You sound like a bandwagon fan.

Ah, yes. Bandwagon fan. The last resort of the witless Spurstalk poster. Why don't you call me a "noob" while you're at it? What exactly brought you to that conclusion other than your tiny, delusional lizard brain not being able to process a difference of opinion?
I am not going to get into a pissing match with you about who is the bigger Spurs fan, but I will say that I have been a loyal fan of this team since before Tim Duncan first picked up a basketball.
I am a Spurs fan and, subsequently, have become a Tim Duncan fan and if the Spurs are destined for full rebuild mode, I would not blame Tim for wanting to be traded to a winning team. Only a selfish asshole would feel differently. I hope the Spurs can squeeze a couple of more productive, winning seasons out of this core unit we have now, but the odds are against us. If the Spurs have to start over and rebuild, I will still be a fan. If Timmy decides to play elsewhere, I will wish him luck and still be a fan of his too.
Bandwagon fan . . . Fuck you.

George Gervin's Afro
02-21-2010, 04:47 PM
I would like for Tim to go out a winner

Jace
02-21-2010, 06:18 PM
:lmao

This is a whole new level of stupid

Have you tried the TradeMachine?

Tim makes a ton of money, very hard to do a trade involving him that doesn't involve a team trading away their superstar which wouldn't happen..

I would trade TIm to Thunder as K Durant is for real and Tim can still compete for a champ instead of being seen as Gary Paton or Loser Malone. Thunder also have ability to absorb contract and, with their skillful GM, I believe they can assemble a great team

The alternative choice is Blazers as they have good young pieces for SPURS in return and a wealthy owner. I doubt Cavs is a good choice as they have too many ok but not great players and the team locked itself in for a few long contracts

Would the Thunder trade away their pieces since they are already a very young and talented team?

ohmwrecker
02-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Have you tried the TradeMachine?

Tim makes a ton of money, very hard to do a trade involving him that doesn't involve a team trading away their superstar which wouldn't happen..

Not necessarily. Since we are living in fantasy land . . . I was thinking it would be kind of cool if Tim were traded to the team who courted him after his rookie contract was up in 2000. The Orlando Magic. The deal could be done without the magic giving up a whole lot (Rashard Lewis and Brandon Bass works). Can you imagine Duncan finishing his career next to Dwight Howard? Pretty scary. Sorry, Kobe and Lebron.
Then again, in 2000 the Spurs were viewed as an aging team who were looking at the begining of the Lakers' 3peat. No one knew that Ginobili and Parker were waiting in the wings. Maybe the Spurs are on the cusp of another resurgence. Who knows?

ducks
02-21-2010, 07:34 PM
duncan does not deserve more title he has to earn this
just like pop and the rest of the spurs

Chachachango
02-21-2010, 09:06 PM
It pains me but I agree. Give Timmy another shot.

SAtown
02-21-2010, 09:08 PM

:tu

Jace
02-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Not necessarily. Since we are living in fantasy land . . . I was thinking it would be kind of cool if Tim were traded to the team who courted him after his rookie contract was up in 2000. The Orlando Magic. The deal could be done without the magic giving up a whole lot (Rashard Lewis and Brandon Bass works). Can you imagine Duncan finishing his career next to Dwight Howard? Pretty scary. Sorry, Kobe and Lebron.
Then again, in 2000 the Spurs were viewed as an aging team who were looking at the begining of the Lakers' 3peat. No one knew that Ginobili and Parker were waiting in the wings. Maybe the Spurs are on the cusp of another resurgence. Who knows?

Would be a great trade for Orlando but what about the Spurs?

Why would they want the Bass/Lewis contracts?

lennyalderette
02-22-2010, 04:21 AM
i say if hes up for it do it!!! i love that guy, he deserves a better coach right now!! but he wont go anywhere promise you. we love you timmy

Mr.Robinson
02-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Ah, yes. Bandwagon fan. The last resort of the witless Spurstalk poster. Why don't you call me a "noob" while you're at it? What exactly brought you to that conclusion other than your tiny, delusional lizard brain not being able to process a difference of opinion?
I am not going to get into a pissing match with you about who is the bigger Spurs fan, but I will say that I have been a loyal fan of this team since before Tim Duncan first picked up a basketball.
I am a Spurs fan and, subsequently, have become a Tim Duncan fan and if the Spurs are destined for full rebuild mode, I would not blame Tim for wanting to be traded to a winning team. Only a selfish asshole would feel differently. I hope the Spurs can squeeze a couple of more productive, winning seasons out of this core unit we have now, but the odds are against us. If the Spurs have to start over and rebuild, I will still be a fan. If Timmy decides to play elsewhere, I will wish him luck and still be a fan of his too.
Bandwagon fan . . . Fuck you.

LOL. Dude, relax. I said you sound like a bandwagon fan. Don't be that guy.

ohmwrecker
02-22-2010, 09:39 AM
LOL. Dude, relax. I said you sound like a bandwagon fan. Don't be that guy.

What guy? I am not sure you understand what a bandwagon fan is. Go on one of the threads someone started to specifically declare that they are bailing on this team so you can understand the difference. There is a fine line between saying someone "sounds like" an asshole and flat out calling someone an asshole. The intent is the same, but at least the latter takes balls to do.
You sir, are an asshole.

2Cleva
02-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Not saying SA should or shouldn't but LA, who has won titles over multiple decades - not just short runs, has for years entertained the idea of trading stars. Dr. Buss's philosophy is better to deal them a year too early for value than a year late. James Worthy at a time was almost dealt. Shaq obviously was sent packing. Offers were being weighed for Kobe as well.

All that being said - Duncan IS the Franchise. Its all about putting the Spurs first and I can't see getting any young player back that is worth dealing Duncan for. It would have to be a young big - only Lopez or Bynum start that convo and no way SA deals Tim to LA, nor does Tim want to go to NJ. Considering Tim's last FA trip - Miami is the only team that makes sense but Beasley isn't enough to start a convo. Maybe a team with a lot of young talent that's playing well like OKC or Memphis but I can't see Tim going there, nor those teams giving up too much.

In respect out of Tim, it makes sense to go for another ring next year but SA has to rebuild young around him. Dealing Tony Parker makes sense in that regard, a S&T dealing Manu out as well. Get a lot of young, new blood around Tim and he may be re-energized in going for a ring over the longer haul (2-3 years).

Mr.Robinson
02-22-2010, 12:53 PM
What guy? I am not sure you understand what a bandwagon fan is. Go on one of the threads someone started to specifically declare that they are bailing on this team so you can understand the difference. There is a fine line between saying someone "sounds like" an asshole and flat out calling someone an asshole. The intent is the same, but at least the latter takes balls to do.
You sir, are an asshole.

You need help. Honestly, you sound like an idiot. Go cheer for the Lakers or something.

hater
02-22-2010, 12:54 PM
the best thing about TD is that he will chose to go down with the ship.

Mr.Robinson
02-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Yup, and all the true fans will be there.

ohmwrecker
02-22-2010, 02:39 PM

I think I am being misunderstood.
I'm not saying I want Tim to leave, I just would not blame him if he did. Going down with the ship is, arguably, admirable, but not necessarily the smartest thing to do. I would expect that Tim, ultimately, will do what is in the best interest of his family.

ohmwrecker
02-22-2010, 02:46 PM
You need help. Honestly, you sound like an idiot. Go cheer for the Lakers or something.
The Lakers?! Are you serious?! Never have, never will. Where do you get this shit? Are you mentally unstable? You don't know me at all and yet, you make ridiculous claims about my commitment and personally attack me? Who is the idiot, really? You tarnish David Robinson's good name.

blkroadrunners
02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
The Lakers?! Are you serious?! Never have, never will. Where do you get this shit? Are you mentally unstable? You don't know me at all and yet, you make ridiculous claims about my commitment and personally attack me? Who is the idiot, really? You tarnish David Robinson's good name.

LOL, he's just kidding, champ. Don't take it personal.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-22-2010, 05:58 PM

?

Big Empty
02-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Well, we are gonna have to rebuild after this year if we don't do anything. There are two options:

A. We keep Tim, sign Manu and trade Parker, or keep Parker and let Manu go. We then trade jefferson's expiring contract for someone and go for one last run. I think maybe we can keep our big three if we can trade jefferson in the summer AND get someone in return.

B. Manu doesn't resign, We can't get rid of jefferson and Parker isn't up to par cause he's tired from playing two straight years. If Tim is still the 20 and 10 guy then thats when pop should ask if hed like to be traded. We miss the playoffs and get a lottery pick for it. We get maybe another first rounders and maybe even get rid of Parker. Then we have lottery picks the next two years and major cap room. I vote this route, Tim doesnt deserve to go down with the ship. he deserves one more shot if we can't get it this year.

ohmwrecker
02-22-2010, 08:33 PM
LOL, he's just kidding, champ. Don't take it personal.

Well, I guess I missed the humor. I don't know why I would take it personal. I thought he was talking to me. Champ.

ohmwrecker
02-22-2010, 08:34 PM
?

?

Mr.Robinson
02-23-2010, 04:41 AM

I don't go around calling fellow fans assholes and such. You want Tim traded to a better team. That sounds like a Tim fan not a Spurs fan.

Bukefal
02-23-2010, 04:46 AM

OVERREACTION.

Good Lord, people. This forum is becoming like the Twilight Zone.

I'd be laughing my ass off if I was a fan of another team reading these threads.

this thread sucks dick.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-23-2010, 07:48 AM
?

You do know that this is just the internets, right?

ohmwrecker
02-23-2010, 01:04 PM
You do know that this is just the internets, right?

You do know that I really don't care, right?

ohmwrecker
02-23-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't go around calling fellow fans assholes and such. You want Tim traded to a better team. That sounds like a Tim fan not a Spurs fan.

You aren't very good at the reading, are ya? I didn't realize I was dealing with someone "special". Apologies. You might want to check to see if your helmet isn't on a little too tight.

mookie2001
02-23-2010, 01:49 PM
The people in this thread even wondering if we owe It to duncan to send him away. You need to reexamine your grasp of the nature of being a real fan, what are we trying to accomplish here people?, make our team weaker and another team stonger? What are we fans of? A player or a team

Duncan is duncan, the greatest, personally I was a spurs fan long before Duncan and look forward to being a fan long after Tim and Tony and Pop are gone

Sad that this needs repeating in every sport, every year, NO PLAYER or coach is bigger than the TEAM. This is a fact and what makes sports so fucking awesome, debating this is insanity and you need to pick up the pieces of your shattered self

emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. If you have a problem with Duncan retiring as a spur, you have a problem with yourself.

ohmwrecker
02-23-2010, 05:57 PM
The people in this thread even wondering if we owe It to duncan to send him away. You need to reexamine your grasp of the nature of being a real fan, what are we trying to accomplish here people?, make our team weaker and another team stonger? What are we fans of? A player or a team

Duncan is duncan, the greatest, personally I was a spurs fan long before Duncan and look forward to being a fan long after Tim and Tony and Pop are gone

Sad that this needs repeating in every sport, every year, NO PLAYER or coach is bigger than the TEAM. This is a fact and what makes sports so fucking awesome, debating this is insanity and you need to pick up the pieces of your shattered self

emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. If you have a problem with Duncan retiring as a spur, you have a problem with yourself.

OK, Bob Marley. Put down the spliff and pick up a dictionary and look up the word "speculation". Nobody wants Tim Duncan to be traded and everyone wants the Spurs to continue being a successful team. However, if they continue to decline and the FO decides to rebuild, then Tony Parker & Tim Duncan's contracts become assets which the Spurs can use to get young talent. It's going to happen eventually whether Duncan retires a Spur or not.
Take a deep breath and grasp hold of reality.
I don't agree with the OP. I never "signed on". My preference would be that the Spurs keep Duncan and get the right players around him to stay competitive so he can retire as a Spur AND a winner.
However, I reserve the right to talk about whatever I want to talk about in a public forum. If you guys want to get all defensive and reactionary about it, that's your problem.
It's like I hit some kind of Cromag-retard vein in the ST mine.
Take it easy, fellas. Try not to strain yourselves.

mookie2001
02-23-2010, 11:19 PM
So your whole post was to tell me that you have free speech?

Let me check that on dictionary.com

You're lying to yourself if you think we're getting a number 1 overall, Kevin Durant or Dwight Howard. Quit trying to play gm, Duncan is retiring in SA and you'll be sad we didn't trade him to the Lakers

Mr.Robinson
02-23-2010, 11:22 PM
You aren't very good at the reading, are ya? I didn't realize I was dealing with someone "special". Apologies. You might want to check to see if your helmet isn't on a little too tight.

Didn't read.

SouthTexasRancher
02-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Tim retires a Spur.....PERIOD!!!

iminol
02-24-2010, 08:29 AM
I suggest burning the petition. No Shaqalacka warm cities traveling and begging 4 more rings.