View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Jan Vesely

yavozerb
02-20-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.interbasket.net/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Jan-Vesel%C3%BD.jpg
Height: 6-11
Weight: 240 lbs
Birthday: 04/24/1990
Nationality: Czech

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jan-Vesely-1402/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jan-vesely)

----------------------

This kid is intriguing if he is available with a pick around 18-21. He has the skillset and heigth to go much higher though i think.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jan-vesely
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zlB5w08_Es
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jan-Vesely-1402/

pad300
02-21-2010, 01:58 AM
Very strong potential. 6'11" and can actually play SF (including guarding other SF...). But under contract until 2013 with no pre-negotiated buyout. That would be the only reason he would drop far enough for us to get him... Can SAS wait that long for talent?

yavozerb
02-21-2010, 09:35 AM
If you are unable to get a top 10 pick (which I do not expect the spurs to get during the TD era) you get the most value for your pick. In saying that, if he is there for spurs I think you take him. TD is signed until 2012 so 2013 could be 1st official season of the post TD era.

yavozerb
02-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Draft express
by: Jonathan Givony - President
February 23, 2010
Jan Vesely, 6-11, Small Forward, Partizan Belgrade, 1990

Continuing where we left off in our previous report, with quite a bit more information now at our disposal, we can comfortably say that Jan Vesely looks like a different player than when we last evaluated him in November.

Not looking nearly as tentative as he did early on in the season, Vesely is playing with huge emotion and appears to have an incredible amount of confidence right now.

Keep reading → (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Serbian-Scouting-Trip-Part-One-First-Round-Prospects-3402/)

benefactor
02-25-2010, 05:01 PM
He sounds like a project right now. If the Spurs wanted to use a late second round pick on him it would be ok, but using a first would be a waste...especially with such a deep draft.

yavozerb
02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
He sounds like a project right now. If the Spurs wanted to use a late second round pick on him it would be ok, but using a first would be a waste...especially with such a deep draft.

Ya, I agree he has not got the PT that most college players in the draft will have, but his background sounds identical to Casspi. Energy player, non-starter,nothing special stat line, but his size and skillset is going to be hard to pass up for teams in the mid to late 1st.

benefactor
02-25-2010, 06:09 PM
The biggest issue will be his contract. If the Spurs can get a college player in the first round that will make a Hill/Blair type difference next season then there is no reason to draft Vesely.

I agree there is still a chance he could go in the first round. Some team that doesn't want to used guaranteed money on a first rounder might take him and stash him until 2013.

yavozerb
02-25-2010, 07:49 PM
I agree that the team that drafts this kid would probably be better served to let him stay in europe for a couple of years to develop. At the same time the better he gets, the more european teams are willing to pay to keep him around and make it much more difficult to get him over to the NBA. I also think he would be better served to get drafted in the 2nd since the rookie cap wouldn't apply.

mogrovejo
03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
I'd use any pick post-lottery to draft Vesely or even a post-10 one, depending on the strength of the draft. Unlike other Partizan prospects, he wants to play in the NBA.

Fabulous potential as a defensive-minded role-player. And I don't think he's that green. He's probably better than Corey Brewer right now and he's 6'11'' and 5 years younger.

Ditty
03-13-2010, 02:30 AM
nba draft net has him being selected by us with the 20th pick

I read about his buy out but he's a 7 footer that can put it on the floor and can shoot and a good defense player if he gets stronger if splitter comes over this summer and spurs somehow can get rid of rj also for a small foward i think the spurs can draft this kid

mogrovejo
03-30-2010, 06:25 PM
nba draft net has him being selected by us with the 20th pick

I read about his buy out but he's a 7 footer that can put it on the floor and can shoot and a good defense player if he gets stronger if splitter comes over this summer and spurs somehow can get rid of rj also for a small foward i think the spurs can draft this kid

I doubt he lasts that long. NBAdraftnet are clueless.

mv94UTAmagE

Mr. Body
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Yes, I would LOVE to screw around with foreign players again this year.

pad300
03-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Yes, I would LOVE to screw around with foreign players again this year.

I'd be really tempted if he fell to us. I am not sure there is a player who we can draft who will help us next year. There is a couple of possibles, but no-one I am certain of...
Next year (10/11) is likely Duncan's and Manu's last. Getting a talent like Vesely and having him come over after the lockout (which wipes out the 11/12 season), and join the rebuilding team after they have retired is would be like getting an extra lottery pick... which, if he turns out, could be a huge jump on the rebuilding process.

yavozerb
03-30-2010, 09:32 PM
I absolutley have no problems drafting a young and talented euro like vessely...Not sure what the big deal is, spurs have not had much success drafting college players either.

benefactor
03-30-2010, 09:33 PM
With so many good players out there I'm certain the Spurs will look to draft a player that at least think can help next season. They desperately need cheap role players to fill out the roster and I have to believe this years first rounder is part of that plan.

mogrovejo
03-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Vesely is ready to play in the NBA. He'll be a Casspi/Jerebko type of player in his rookie season. Higher long term upside.

pad300
03-30-2010, 10:03 PM
With so many good players out there I'm certain the Spurs will look to draft a player that at least think can help next season. They desperately need cheap role players to fill out the roster and I have to believe this years first rounder is part of that plan.

Really, look who's got a contract:
Guaranteed: Duncan, Parker, McDyess, Blair, Hill, Jefferson
Unguaranteed: Hairston, Gee, Temple, Jerrels
Expected to be signed: Manu, Splitter

That's 12 bodies, with bird rights to Bonner and Ian...

The Spurs have demonstrated a willingness to use the D-league to fill spots - I can see Dwayne Jones on this team... Seriously, an unguaranteed contract to a d-leaguer (or one of the Spurs oversees players) may get you just as much production for 1 year, and offers far more financial flexibility than a guaranteed 1st round contract.
Their current spate of unguaranteed 2 year contracts to D-leaguers (Jerrels, Gee, Temple, and even Hairston) suggests that either they think these players will part of the rotation next year, or they are trying to set up some tricky trades, and think the unguaranteed contracts will be assets...Either way, we will be getting something on the roster from those contracts.

pad300
03-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Vesely is ready to play in the NBA. He'll be a Casspi/Jerebko type of player in his rookie season. Higher long term upside.

Perhaps, but he's under contract till 2013 or so. I suspect it would be a bit of a waiting game, like Splitter.

Mr. Body
03-30-2010, 10:05 PM
I absolutley have no problems drafting a young and talented euro like vessely...Not sure what the big deal is, spurs have not had much success drafting college players either.

No, I suppose DeJuan Blair and George Hill were failures.

I'm not against talented foreigners, but the Spurs have a dismal track record of bringing them over, post-Manu.

Bruno
03-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Vesely would be an amazing pick. I like him a lot.

Saying that, there is the buyout problem. If it's solved before the draft, Spurs should do whatever it takes to draft him (even if they have to move up).

yavozerb
03-31-2010, 10:14 AM
No, I suppose DeJuan Blair and George Hill were failures.

I'm not against talented foreigners, but the Spurs have a dismal track record of bringing them over, post-Manu.

George Hil was an amazing pick, but blair, c'mon, very little went into picking him when fell into the spurs lap. All you could name are 2 players since manu and TP? TY for making my point

mountainballer
03-31-2010, 11:07 AM
I agree, if Spurs have the chance to get him, they should try.
but I see him rather climb than fall.
Partizan has a very good chance to reach the Euroleague Final Four (one more win tomorrow at home against Maccabi). Vesely played well lately and at the final four the whole NBA scout army will be in the house. not just because of him, a lot of potential FAs and/or former draft picks will likely be playing. (or players who might jump to the NBA in the next years). Childress, Kleiza, Kaun, Teodosic, Rubio/Lorbek/Vazquez or LLull/Velickovic. (incomplete list).
so, if he does well there, he will be a top 10 pick.

even if there isn't a pre negotiated buy out, Partizan will have a good idea of what they realistically can get.
a #10 pick guarantees about 4 million, a #15 pick about 3 million. I'm pretty sure Vesely is willing to give up half of the guaranteed money, for sure he doesn't make more than this half on his current contract.
add the allowed 500k from the NBA team and you get a buy out of 2-2.5 million $. and that's not a bad deal for Partizan.
(of course, the usual European suspects could jump in and offer more. that's why it will be important for Vesely to have an agreement before the draft.)

Mr. Body
03-31-2010, 08:18 PM
George Hil was an amazing pick, but blair, c'mon, very little went into picking him when fell into the spurs lap. All you could name are 2 players since manu and TP? TY for making my point

Haven't made your point. The Spurs suck at bringing players over from Europe.

DesignatedT
03-31-2010, 10:50 PM
this guy is a for sure lottery pick.

scottspurs
04-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Vesely decided not to enter the 2010 Draft

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jan-Vesely-I-Decided-Not-to-Enter-the-2010-NBA-Draft-3449/

kobyz
04-26-2010, 01:14 AM
it's not good news for the spurs, he was projected lottery pick and if we want a quality player to fall for our pick we need as most of talent that could be in this draft, especially at SF position our main target in this draft.

mountainballer
04-26-2010, 02:26 AM
bad news. as kobyz said, this might cost us a better player at the end of the day. (there is also a statement on DX, that Motiejunas also might pull out. let's hope he doesn't)

TheProfessor
04-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Bad news in terms of having wing options, but the draft is deep at that position near our spot (George, Pondexter, Babbitt, and Ebanks all likely available there). And really, we all know the Spurs will be targeting someone under the radar anyway if they actually end up using that pick.

mogrovejo
04-29-2010, 05:24 AM
Stupid decision.