PDA

View Full Version : True Fans my ass....

MADTOBY
02-20-2010, 12:56 PM
People on here who call themselves true fans of the Spurs are whack when all they do is bash every negative thing they do. The Spurs are still 31-22. We are 3 games ahead in the Loss column of the next team out of the playoffs (Houston).

I am sick of seeing all the bashing on here.

Yeah Pop makes questionable moves.....he also won us 4 titles

Just when things go south a bit for your team you as a true fan should not write them off like many on this board do.

I gaurantee that if the Spurs were to turn it around this year, we would see a whole bunch of posers step up and claim themselves to be fans again.

The Spurs have some of the worst fans of the league in my opinion and I find a number of them to be on this board.

Hooks
02-20-2010, 12:59 PM
People on here who call themselves true fans of the Spurs are whack when all they do is bash every negative thing they do. The Spurs are still 31-22. We are 3 games ahead in the Loss column of the next team out of the playoffs (Houston).

Just when things go south a bit for your team you as a true fan should not write them off like many on this board do.

I gaurantee that if the Spurs were to turn it around this year, we would see a whole bunch of posers step up and claim themselves to be fans again.

The Spurs have some of the worst fans of the league in my opinion and I find a number of them to be on this board.

Prime Duncan won us 4 titles.

MADTOBY
02-20-2010, 01:02 PM
No Shit...

Well if you dont need a coach to win then

You must not need a coach to lose either

So why the bashing on Pop. Good point you make....

:bang

Hooks
02-20-2010, 01:03 PM
No Shit...

:bang

Pop is making us lose these games with the stupid ass decisions he makes. You're not a true fan if you want us to keep on losing.

Wombatzu
02-20-2010, 01:04 PM
uh, welcome to professional sports fandom?

team does well, people bitch and celebrate.

team doesn't do well, people just bitch.

we're starting Bonner and Bogans, our injured point guard says he's playing for the French NT this off-season, our big off-season acquisition is a bust, some coaching decisions are bizarre, there is no clear plan for the future... there's plenty to bash.

being a fan from way back, i appreciate the championships and i'm not devastated by the team's floundering... but i will bash if i feel like it.

NRHector
02-20-2010, 01:05 PM
No Shit...

:bangHe has the talent and doesn't know how to use it, he needs to go as of last season

MADTOBY
02-20-2010, 01:08 PM
uh, welcome to professional sports fandom?

team does well, people bitch and celebrate.

team doesn't do well, people just bitch.

we're starting Bonner and Bogans, our injured point guard says he's playing for the French NT this off-season, our big off-season acquisition is a bust, some coaching decisions are bizarre, there is no clear plan for the future... there's plenty to bash.

being a fan from way back, i appreciate the championships and i'm not devastated by the team's floundering... but i will bash if i feel like it.

U must not be a fan...:ihit

Chomag
02-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I guess a true fan is to cover their ears and stomping their feet while screaming "LALALALAL"

I guess a true fan is to wear really thick blinders like a horse and act like nothing is wrong.

I guess a true fan should not be using their own brain for free thought.

Thanks for correcting me.

MADTOBY
02-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I guess a true fan is to cover their ears and stomping their feet while screaming "LALALALAL"

I guess a true fan is to wear really thick blinders like a horse and act like nothing is wrong.

I guess a true fan should not be using their own brain for free thought.

Thanks for correcting me.

No Problem, anytime you idiots need help let good ol Toby help ;)

Bambililos
02-20-2010, 01:11 PM
The day I stop bitching when the Spurs lose is the day when I'm not a fan anymore. Not any time soon...

Muser
02-20-2010, 01:12 PM
So if I say anything negative about the Spurs then i'm not a true fan?

MADTOBY
02-20-2010, 01:13 PM
The day I stop bitching when the Spurs lose is the day when I'm not a fan anymore. Not any time soon...

So now we have guys claiming themselves to be a bitch. Just frickin great! :bang

NRHector
02-20-2010, 01:15 PM
So now we have guys claiming themselves to be a bitch. Just frickin great! :bangand what makes you a true "fan"?

Chomag
02-20-2010, 01:17 PM
So now we have guys claiming themselves to be a bitch. Just frickin great! :bang

Hmm, isn't this pretty much what you are doing with your own thread?

Bitching about bitching is allways priceless.

MADTOBY
02-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Im not a bitch Hector... Sorry man. As long as ur a bitch I dont know what considers u a true fan?

ginobili fan
02-20-2010, 01:18 PM
True Fans my ass....
Whining and bashing=passion= the making of a fan.

NRHector
02-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Im not a bitch Hector... Sorry man. As long as ur a bitch I dont know what considers u a true fan?so what makes you a true fan?

rascal
02-20-2010, 01:23 PM

Keep banging your head. Maybe some sense will get knocked in it.

JR3
02-20-2010, 01:24 PM
good post. im as frustrated at small ball and the lack of defensive intensity and the team not gelling as anyone. But this forum sucks when it becomes a place where everyone just vents and keeps crying about the same crap in every thread. I hope we can just remain positive and look for little victories as we wait for this team to turn it around.. no use beating a dead horse.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-20-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't know what we'd do without rookie posters coming on here quantifying what a true fan is. Thanks Madtoby!

ulosturedge
02-20-2010, 01:28 PM
We bitch cause we care.

NRHector
02-20-2010, 01:28 PM
So you bitching about people bitching makes you a "true fan"?

pjjrfan
02-20-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't know what we'd do without rookie posters coming on here quantifying what a true fan is. Thanks Madtoby!

Ditto!!

WildcardManu
02-20-2010, 01:31 PM
People are getting a preview of the post Duncan era and are freaking....

Chomag
02-20-2010, 01:31 PM
good post. im as frustrated at small ball and the lack of defensive intensity and the team not gelling as anyone. But this forum sucks when it becomes a place where everyone just vents and keeps crying about the same crap in every thread. I hope we can just remain positive and look for little victories as we wait for this team to turn it around.. no use beating a dead horse.

Bare in mind that this place would be a ghost town right now if only positive things were said because look at the damn team, not much positive is happening there to talk about sad to say.

Passion is a very strong emotion, yes we can get disgruntled because of it at times. We as fans just want to see the team reach their goals.

IF you had a son that didn't make it to graduation do you hate them? No, but you are very displeased with them and any right father would let their son know that they disaprove of their choices. However you still love them either way.

Buddy Holly
02-20-2010, 01:37 PM
The OP is full of...

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/epic-fail-ref-fail.jpg

eisfeld
02-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Even if Pop got "us" ("them" or "the Spurs" would be a better choice of words) 4 titles he should not be immune to criticism.
The Spurs are extremely deep and Pop seems to be in love with altering rotations to find the one and only perfect lineup so he forgets the team is out there trying to make the playoffs. Small ball never really worked for the Spurs and obviously a starting 5 with Bonner, Duncan, Bogans, Hill and Parker isn't working.

He just isn't a good coach this season. I appreciate him for what he has done for the Spurs (and he has done a lot) but he has to get rid of his one-dimensional thinking. Spurs are no defensive powerhouse anymore but Pop is desperately trying to make them into one again. And that's exactly what's wrong with the Spurs these days - They don't have the assets to be a defensive powerhouse. Pop should focus on tweaking the way he coaches to adapt to the possibilities this team has.

Don't get me wrong - I admire Pop for the way he coaches but it seems more and more obvious that his style of coaching is not the right one for the Spurs right now.

z0sa
02-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Being a true fan does not mean being a mindless zombie. I do think it calls for more homers than criticism in times of trouble opposed to a bunch of negativity, but whatever.

ElNono
02-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Self-proclaimed true fan calls out other fans thread!

doobs
02-20-2010, 01:57 PM
u mad, toby?

rayray2k8
02-20-2010, 01:57 PM
stfu noob. If you were here at the start of the season, l would have cut you some slack but since you
weren't now is not the time to tell us what to do.
The majority of the posters have critical of pop over his screwy lineups and have protested that Pop was doing more harm than
good with the constant changes in the rotations.

During the season spurstalk members have disagreed with the small ball strategy and pops stubbornness to contine it, only to see it fail night in and night.
Even NBA coaches know what the blueprint to beating the spurs when in fact the posters have been pointing it since early in the season!

So we have every right to complain about the entire team , from the players to the coach and our nutless coaching staff.

But hey, I guess it's easier to be a ignorant homer then to face the reality of watching the fate of the team crashing and burning before our very eyes.

rascal
02-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Even if Pop got "us" ("them" or "the Spurs" would be a better choice of words) 4 titles he should not be immune to criticism.
The Spurs are extremely deep and Pop seems to be in love with altering rotations to find the one and only perfect lineup so he forgets the team is out there trying to make the playoffs. Small ball never really worked for the Spurs and obviously a starting 5 with Bonner, Duncan, Bogans, Hill and Parker isn't working.

He just isn't a good coach this season. I appreciate him for what he has done for the Spurs (and he has done a lot) but he has to get rid of his one-dimensional thinking. Spurs are no defensive powerhouse anymore but Pop is desperately trying to make them into one again. And that's exactly what's wrong with the Spurs these days - They don't have the assets to be a defensive powerhouse. Pop should focus on tweaking the way he coaches to adapt to the possibilities this team has.

Don't get me wrong - I admire Pop for the way he coaches but it seems more and more obvious that his style of coaching is not the right one for the Spurs right now.

Never understood how you can play small ball when you are not playing the athletes that can run a fast break.

Obstructed_View
02-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi, Mouse.

mexicanjunior
02-20-2010, 02:07 PM
If you were a "true fan", you would want this team to get better when they actually have a shot next year...TANK OR GTFO!

Zero_Twilight
02-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Hey, I agree with you.

Much of these so called fans are pretenders and have no idea how the game is played and just follow blindly and later on rant about things they know very little about. Reckless talk from the safety of a computer monitor.

I admit, I still sometimes browse these forums in hopes of getting info about the players or trades and etc. The hateful threads and eletist banter from some of the senior members is a turn off and not worth the grief so I stay away, mostly because I value my time.

Just know that some people feel the way you do and are "Silver and Black" to the death.

modtxspur
02-20-2010, 02:31 PM
For all of those who think that pop should go, who exactly do you have in mind to replace him? Phil Jackson is the luckiest coach of all time. Do you think that he could have coached the 99', 03', 05', 07' team to a championship...FUCK NO. What about mike brown, oh wait he learned what he knows from pop. My point being Pop is a hall of fame coach who coached us to four champioships and for people to think that he is the problem is rediculous. The problem is we have an aging team.

TJastal
02-20-2010, 02:38 PM
For all of those who think that pop should go, who exactly do you have in mind to replace him? Phil Jackson is the luckiest coach of all time. Do you think that he could have coached the 99', 03', 05', 07' team to a championship...FUCK NO. What about mike brown, oh wait he learned what he knows from pop. My point being Pop is a hall of fame coach who coached us to four champioships and for people to think that he is the problem is rediculous. The problem is we have an aging team.

Wow you Popsuckers never quit do you.

mountainballer
02-20-2010, 02:39 PM
worst thing about Spurs sucking, sorry: terribly sucking....the "better fan" coming in an posing as superfan, who is going to clean the world from fans who suffer when their team sucks.
jesus, what this guys have in common is this combination of naïvety, cluelessness and arrogance.
what is worse than Bogans and Bonner as starters? the "true fan" as thread starter.

lurker23
02-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I think the distinction between "true" and "non-true" fans is a little too simple and overrated. I think degree of fandom is more accurately split into three categories:

1. Bandwagon fans- These fans only care about the team when they're doing well, and ignore the team when they're doing poorly. These are the only real "non-true" fans, because they don't ride along with the rest of the fans through the lows as well as the highs. They may even more fully adopt another team in another city when they are doing better. There's not necessarily anything wrong with these people, except when they bust out the caps and jerseys during a title run and act like they've been there the whole time.

2. Casual fans- These fans probably have a few pieces of team gear, and attend at least a few games per year if they're in town. They enjoy their team and support their team, but generally their interest wanes between games. They probably acknowledge their team's shortcomings, but except in the leanest of years, generally feel that their team can win any given game.

3. Hardcore fans- These fans live and breathe the sport and the team. Their interest extends beyond game day and even the season. They engage other fans in conversation on a regular basis, and the technologically inclined of them spend a lot of time on message boards. Their analysis of their team often allows them to see every strength and every weakness of the team. While there are extreme optimistic and pessimistic hardcore fans, most tend toward realism.

Problems generally arise when casual fans try interact with hardcore fans (or, unrelated to this post, when bandwagoners interact with either of the other two). While these categories are within a spectrum, generally casual fans are more optimistic than hardcore fans. Hardcore fans analyze so much that they tend toward realism, which can seem like pessimism to the casual fan.

So, more realistic hardcore fans are still true fans, even if the casual fans perceive them as more critical of the team or having given up on the team. However, most of these hardcore fans still proudly wear their jerseys to games, cheer as loudly (or louder) than everyone else, and enjoy the wins, even if they may have lost some of that pure, unspoiled "believe" attitude.

TJastal
02-20-2010, 02:45 PM
I think the distinction between "true" and "non-true" fans is a little too simple and overrated. I think degree of fandom is more accurately split into three categories:

1. Bandwagon fans- These fans only care about the team when they're doing well, and ignore the team when they're doing poorly. These are the only real "non-true" fans, because they don't ride along with the rest of the fans through the lows as well as the highs. They may even more fully adopt another team in another city when they are doing better. There's not necessarily anything wrong with these people, except when they bust out the caps and jerseys during a title run and act like they've been there the whole time.

2. Casual fans- These fans probably have a few pieces of team gear, and attend at least a few games per year if they're in town. They enjoy their team and support their team, but generally their interest wanes between games. They probably acknowledge their team's shortcomings, but except in the leanest of years, generally feel that their team can win any given game.

3. Hardcore fans- These fans live and breathe the sport and the team. Their interest extends beyond game day and even the season. They engage other fans in conversation on a regular basis, and the technologically inclined of them spend a lot of time on message boards. Their analysis of their team often allows them to see every strength and every weakness of the team. While there are extreme optimistic and pessimistic hardcore fans, most tend toward realism.

Problems generally arise when casual fans try interact with hardcore fans (or, unrelated to this post, when bandwagoners interact with either of the other two). While these categories are within a spectrum, generally casual fans are more optimistic than hardcore fans. Hardcore fans analyze so much that they tend toward realism, which can seem like pessimism to the casual fan.

So, more realistic hardcore fans are still true fans, even if the casual fans perceive them as more critical of the team or having given up on the team. However, most of these hardcore fans still proudly wear their jerseys to games, cheer as loudly (or louder) than everyone else, and enjoy the wins, even if they may have lost some of that pure, unspoiled "believe" attitude.

I guess that means Sequspur is the most 'hardcore' fan on here? :lol

lurker23
02-20-2010, 02:46 PM
I guess that means Sequspur is the most 'hardcore' fan on here? :lol

:lol

More pessimistic does not necessarily equal more hardcore.

No one should doubt that Sequ is hardcore, though.

gm5k
02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
I openly admit I'm a terrible fan. that being said, the Spurs are completely screwed.

SpurCharger
02-20-2010, 02:47 PM

Excellent Outlook!

gm5k
02-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Excellent Outlook!

it's funny. I think I'm a mix of a hardcore and a bandwagon :rollin

SpurCharger
02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Im Probably A 85% Hardcore and 15% Casual... No bandwagon Here, lol! Been Lovin The Spurs Since 89. I rode The Ups And Downs. The Standards Are set So High Here For The Spurs... I guess We Know How Laker Fans Felt When Shaq Was Traded, and Before They Got Gasol.

MADTOBY
02-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Im a hardcore fan for sure. I am just saying people lose belief so quickly and have such high expectations that I notice a lot of members in this forum write them off.

Its one thing to bash your team, its another to write them off completely.

SILVER AND BLACK TO THE DEATH!!!!

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag::flag::flag::fla g::flag:

all_heart
02-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Every body is entitled to their opinion, and if they want to bitch, fine with that too. If somebody doesn't like it, then move on.. it's pretty simple.

Now having said that, "Spurs fans" have plenty to bitch about. We are losing games that we shouldn't lose. We got Matt fucking Bonner jacking up 3's till his heart's content, playing small ball with the intention to improve transition D but failing miserably, etc.. etc.... Pop sux this year..

Mr.Robinson
02-20-2010, 03:32 PM

Timothy Theodore Duncan won 4 titles for us.

ohmwrecker
02-20-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't know what we'd do without rookie posters coming on here quantifying what a true fan is. Thanks Mad toby!

That is just the dumbest argument I've ever heard. Who gives a shit how many times someone has posted?! I guess only long time ST posters are "true fans" . . . is that your definition?
OP makes some good points. The bitching goes way overboard here. He is basically just voicing frustration like everybody else. If you are a Spurs fan, win or lose, you stick with your team. Period.
You can bitch and rant if that's how you choose to express yourself, but if you bail on your team when they are down, you are a fair weather bandwaggoner. It's pretty cut and dry. End of story.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-20-2010, 03:35 PM

We've got plenty of youth. It just sits on the end of the bench or in Austin.

all_heart
02-20-2010, 03:36 PM
That is just the dumbest argument I've ever heard. Who gives a shit how many times someone has posted?! I guess only long time ST posters are "true fans" . . . is that your definition?
OP makes some good points. The bitching goes way overboard here. He is basically just voicing frustration like everybody else. If you are a Spurs fan, win or lose, you stick with your team. Period.
You can bitch and rant if that's how you choose to express yourself, but if you bail on your team when they are down, you are a fair weather bandwaggoner. It's pretty cut and dry. End of story.

What classifies as bailing? I'm pissed and upset, but I'm not rooting for the Lakers or anything..

benefactor
02-20-2010, 03:38 PM
The Spurs just aren't that good anymore. The faster you accept it the more emotional stability you will enjoy.

Rob123
02-20-2010, 03:39 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

STFU

I tune in for basketball. If the Spurs organization put a basketball team on the floor every night, I'd be a fan; win or lose, through thick and through thin.

This product that's being masqueraded around as a basketball team is an insult to fans of the organization, a slap in the face.

really? A 6'2, 6'2, 6'5 6'7 6'5 lineup is ACTUALLY BEING USED?

AND WHERE ARE THE ATHLETES!???!?!??!?!??!

This "team" has very few athletic players. WTF is this product?

Mr.Robinson
02-20-2010, 03:40 PM
I went into depression after the 06 Mavs series. I'm guessing I'm too much of a fan.

8FOR!3
02-20-2010, 03:41 PM

This would make me a casual NBA Spurs fan and a Hardcore NFL Cowboys fan. I just don't have the patience to watch that many games a year and keep up with basketball 100%. Right now I'm doing good, but some nights I'm just not going to be able to watch the game for whatever reason. I won't miss a Cowboys though and I'm putting about 500 posts a season on CowboysZone. :lol

all_heart
02-20-2010, 03:42 PM

huh.. when you losing games the way we do (do you even know what I'm talking about??) and FAIL to correct weaknesses.. you can start looking at the coach. Yes, he's got 4 rings, but it doesn't show anymore. Pat Riley got some rings and he literally bailed on the Heat a couple years ago. What I'm saying is that no coach regardless of accomplishments is perfect or free from criticism. Pop is dam lucky his core players are loyal to him or his ass could have been fired.

ginobili fan
02-20-2010, 03:43 PM

Excellent Post.
This could be a funny thread starter. Why dont you make a poll like wich category of fan are you ? That could be interesting in second degre.

ohmwrecker
02-20-2010, 04:07 PM
What classifies as bailing? I'm pissed and upset, but I'm not rooting for the Lakers or anything..

Then I am not talking to you . . . Or am I? Man, I don't know. That's for you to define. Everybody has got to make up their own minds if they can. If not, then enjoy your delusion, but if you say some ridiculous shit, then I reserve the right to call you out on it. Being dismissive of someone just because they are posting on some insignificant message board for the first time would be a good example. Rah Rah Rah!

Manudo Flopo
02-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Just Die Already

Mr. Body
02-20-2010, 04:55 PM

I always love it when some dumbass with 22 posts comes on and lectures everyone on how to be a fan. As if wanting your team to not deteriorate and bitching about its poor decisions somehow are the faults of those people. Like, if you didn't say anything suddenly everything would be peachy.

Shut the fuck up, noob.

Obstructed_View
02-20-2010, 05:18 PM
For all of those who think that pop should go, who exactly do you have in mind to replace him?

Basically any basketball coach that isn't so full of himself that he thinks he can play guards at forward and have success, or a basketball coach that realizes that Matt Bonner is not Robert Horry and Keith Bogans is not Bruce Bowen.

Iin short, anyone not named Popovich.

HarlemHeat37
02-20-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't understand people that make threads like this..

Everybody here that has shown anger towards the way the Spurs have played and the way Pop has coached(and the FO) is clearly a "true fan"..why the hell would we spend our time on a message board and show so much anger if we weren't "true fans"..why would we still be watching a struggling team with no upside?..

The OP must be Keith Bogans or something..

Obstructed_View
02-20-2010, 05:27 PM
The OP is a Mavericks fan.

gm5k
02-20-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't understand people that make threads like this..

Everybody here that has shown anger towards the way the Spurs have played and the way Pop has coached(and the FO) is clearly a "true fan"..why the hell would we spend our time on a message board and show so much anger if we weren't "true fans"..why would we still be watching a struggling team with no upside?..

The OP must be Keith Bogans or something..

some kind of fan superiority complex...i don't get it either.

and then u have all the great "true fans" having a big circle**** together in these threads.

"I would NEVER bail on MY spurs!! 100% until the end! born and raised, first Spurs game in 1976! :flag::flag::flag:"

seriously, STFU. those people annoy me way more than any troll or bandwagoner ever could.

rascal
02-20-2010, 07:27 PM

Jeff Van Gundy. Give him a solid team with Duncan and he could get more out of the team than Pop is doing.

MmP
02-20-2010, 07:37 PM
This team is gonna get it together. The talent is there. Tony has to heal.

cornbread
02-20-2010, 07:48 PM

You are by far the worst fan on this board because you're complacent with the shitty ball the Spurs are playing. You don't care about their potential and you don't care that Duncan's window is almost shut.

Long story short, you suck.

carib
02-20-2010, 08:05 PM
So if I say anything negative about the Spurs then i'm not a true fan?

lets put it this way, they don't like that around here, just say all positive stuff.

carib
02-20-2010, 08:06 PM
True Fans care about their team future.

timtonymanu
02-20-2010, 08:15 PM
oh god another "true" fan giving us the lecture.

I swear they're more annoying than the bandwagoners. The reason why us fans are so pissed off is because we really had high expectations to this year's club. And they have sucked ass. Also the window is closing. We just wanna see one more title run before it closes.

Dont give us this Pop is great BS. We know that. But dont tell me that you're satisfied with his coaching this year. IMO you're just saying all this cause you wanna try to be one of the best posters here. You're talking out of your ass and not concerned with the Spurs' future, you noob.

gospursgojas
02-20-2010, 08:41 PM

+1 :tu

Big Empty
02-21-2010, 01:51 PM
People are getting a preview of the post Duncan era and are freaking....
LOL so true. We are spoiled. We will have the 20 and 62 record sometime in the next five years and we will rebuild. Until then, even though we arn't playing championship basketball, I'm enjoying seeing our big three out there trying to compete and get our shit together. Take it all in, this mite be it. This off season will be one to remember.

trajik dark
02-21-2010, 05:26 PM
matt bonner and pop started this thread

MADTOBY
02-23-2010, 05:13 PM
:king:king:flag: