PDA

View Full Version : Liberating Myself from the TV..day 1

The_Worlds_finest
02-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Cancelled my cable tv today. I don't know if it will only equate to being on the computer more.

I am doing it for to save alittle scratch (70/month) and stop subjecting myself to the bs on tv. As for Spurs basketball and Worldcup? Ill figure something out.

TheManFromAcme
02-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Read :reading

The_Worlds_finest
02-20-2010, 06:12 PM
that guy beating the thug in that video is kinda a small internet celeb. He is seen in a video getting tased at a baseball game, and lately being interviewed post bus fight. He is insane but a bad-ass, just goes to show, just cause you present yourself to look like a badass doesn't mean shiiiii (aka badasses with cornrows, tattoos, ed hardy, etc.)

tp2021
02-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Ed Hardy makes you a badass? When did that happen?

Darrin
02-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Cancelled my cable tv today. I don't know if it will only equate to being on the computer more.

I am doing it for to save alittle scratch (70/month) and stop subjecting myself to the bs on tv. As for Spurs basketball and Worldcup? Ill figure something out.

I did this for awhile. I realized how stupid the networks think we are. Oprah became a favorite, as did PBS. The local news was unbearable.

mrsmaalox
02-21-2010, 12:07 AM
You won't miss much. I rarely have my tv on before 10:30pm unless there's a Spurs game on. The reality tv trend just totally turned me off to it all.

spursncowboys
02-21-2010, 01:40 AM
download boxee and you'll be good.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Man, and this awesome show is premiering tomorrow. Oh well.

B-Hath
02-21-2010, 04:18 AM
cable is for chumpass chumps

Eloquently put.

I'll probably to something similar when I move. I'll get a fast internet connection and watch all my tv online. I watch half my shows there anyway.

z0sa
02-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Not counting Spurs games, I watch less than 1 hour of TV a week and sometimes zero time at all.

It's way better, trust me. You'll be surprised at the things you can accomplish with the 2-3 hours you watch TV a night.

Evil Angel
02-21-2010, 07:36 AM
You won't miss much. I rarely have my tv on before 10:30pm unless there's a Spurs game on. The reality tv trend just totally turned me off to it all.

So true.

The_Worlds_finest
02-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Ed Hardy makes you a badass? When did that happen?

Cant forget about tapout and affliction wearing tool belts who wouldn't even know how to wrap their hands

Wild Cobra
02-21-2010, 02:03 PM
I've been thinking of canceling my cable as well. The kids no longer live at home, and I rarely watch it. I watch plenty of TV programs, but a year late. When I see a program I like, I buy the season series, then watch it as time permits, without those annoying commercials.

I am so behind as it is. I have the 3rd season of Dexter and haven't watched it yet. Same with the 4th and 5th season of Weeds. Some of the older stuff takes priority. I still need to buy the 8th to 10th season of JAG. I bought and watched Stargate Universe, in Blu-ray, and watched it all the day it was released. Weeds 5th season is still in the wrapper, but it's at least Blu-Ray too.

Bender
02-21-2010, 02:11 PM
me neither. I hardly even watch TV anymore, except for spurs games, and I am hardly even watching those anymore. TV is just something to connect my dvd player to.

a have cable, but mostly just for my son.

remingtonbo2001
02-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Digital Antenna offers superb picture quality. Best of all...it's free.

PublicOption
02-21-2010, 11:51 PM
you missed a great hockey game......sucks for you.

mrsmaalox
02-21-2010, 11:58 PM
me neither. I hardly even watch TV anymore, except for spurs games, and I am hardly even watching those anymore. TV is just something to connect my dvd player to.

a have cable, but mostly just for my son.

I keep the cable mostly for the kids, but I've noticed that if the tv isn't on when they get home from school, they don't bother with it. And I keep it because I really love classic movies, so about once a week I'll check the schedule on TCM and sometimes I find something I'd like to see.

Wild Cobra
02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Digital Antenna offers superb picture quality. Best of all...it's free.
Yes, a good antenna works fine for the QAM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAM) signal.

Please don't call it a digital antenna. There is no such thing. A digital signal in placed in the baseband of the analog carrier, but there is no such thing as a digital radio wave.

Microwave Communications Technician since 1981.

---edit---

I'm sorry, QAM is used for HDTV on cable. It can be used, and is better for radio transmissions. However, 8VSB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8VSB) has been chosen because it is compatible with existing radio transmitters.

Damn cheapskates.

MsMcGillyCutty
02-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I watch very little tv and canceled my cable service a few years ago. What little I watch I just get watch off the web.

Nbadan
02-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Get Windows 7 and a TV satellite program....free-loaders...

Creepn
02-23-2010, 10:49 AM
So basically lots of people quit TV to spend more time watching the computer screen.

:lol