PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs turn to their backup plan

duncan228
02-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Spurs turn to their backup plan (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_turn_to_their_backup_plan.html)
Jeff McDonald

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — It was a habit Richard Jefferson had come to foster throughout his playing career, from New Jersey to Milwaukee to the Spurs, and it came with an enabler. A public address announcer would call his name to start a game, and he would bound onto the floor to great applause.

Now the time has come for Jefferson to change that routine. His place in the Spurs' starting lineup?

“I'm giving that up for Lent,” Jefferson said.

It's not as if Jefferson had a choice. Gregg Popovich has moved Jefferson — a starter in 548 of 623 career games — to the bench, partially in hopes of producing a long-awaited spark from his team's defining offseason acquisition.

Jefferson has appeared as a reserve in both the Spurs' games since the All-Star break, replaced at forward by Keith Bogans in a lineup shuffle that also moved Matt Bonner to center in place of Antonio McDyess.

The results for Jefferson have been mixed so far — one solid game in a victory over Indiana, one inconsequential outing in a 106-94 loss at Philadelphia.

Jefferson has accepted his new role, even if it isn't his preference.

“I prefer to start, but I prefer winning more,” said Jefferson, who had a streak of 232 consecutive starts snapped by injury Jan. 18 in New Orleans. “I trust Pop and what he's trying to do.”

Thursday's NBA trade deadline came and went with no reinforcements arriving for the Spurs. They will proceed with this 13-man roster, which means they desperately need their last major trade — June's swap with Milwaukee that netted Jefferson — to begin to pay dividends.

Brought in to infuse the Spurs' offense with more firepower, Jefferson has been mostly disappointing, averaging 12.1 points and 3.7 rebounds. Against Philadelphia on Friday, he had eight points and five fouls.

“I'm frustrated and have been for a while,” Jefferson admitted.

Jefferson isn't the only one. To a man, the Spurs have been confounded by their hit-or-miss season, which hit low ebb in Philadelphia.

The Spurs (31-22) head into today's game at Detroit looking to salvage a 5-3 record on their annual rodeo trip.

“We're not used to being as up and down and inconsistent as we've been,” Tim Duncan said. “It's wearing on all of us.”

Jefferson has been the poster child for that. Popovich hopes pairing him with Manu Ginobili, another could-be starter who has thrived as a reserve, will energize Jefferson.

That wasn't the only reason for the lineup shakeup. Popovich likes the defensive presence Bogans brings to the starting group, and he likes the offensive blast he can potentially summon off the bench with Jefferson and Ginobili surrounding McDyess and DeJuan Blair.

“We've got a solid group to start, and in some ways an even more explosive group coming off the bench,” Popovich said.

That arrangement is still an unconventional one. The Spurs are one of the few teams in the league with two of their top four highest-paid players working as reserves.

Though Popovich has vowed to stop tinkering with the lineup, more games like Friday's might have him re-thinking things.

Despite the Spurs' defensive-minded lineup, they allowed more than 100 points to the Sixers. Bogans and Bonner, the two new starters, combined to go 2 of 8 for four points.

Should Popovich keep Jefferson on the bench, Ginobili says it will take the former starter a few games to adjust. Ginobili knows this from experience.

“It takes a little time,” Ginobili said. “The first time it happened to me, it hurt a little bit. We haven't talked about how he's feeling, but he's a great guy, and he wants to win. He's taking it great and just trying to contribute.”

That, of course, is the rub for Jefferson.

For Lent or otherwise, he has given up his need to start. One way or another, the Spurs still need him to produce.

timvp
02-21-2010, 02:28 AM
Jefferson has been mostly disappointing

The sun is mostly hot.

ShoogarBear
02-21-2010, 02:32 AM
Good thing Pop made these changes after that disappointing game in Denver. It's only been two games, but already there's been a big difference in performance.

Blackjack
02-21-2010, 02:37 AM
Somehow, I never expected this would be the proper headline from this past summer:

Spurs shore up bench with acquisitions of Jefferson and McDyess

DMX7
02-21-2010, 02:43 AM
Somehow, I never expected this would be the proper headline from this past summer:

Spurs shore up bench with acquisitions of Jefferson and McDyess

Sadly, this move doesn't even do that.

poop
02-21-2010, 02:48 AM
all round Fail, from Pop and his dumbass 'strategies', to dick jeff and his bust, to the media/announcers trying desperately to rationalize pop's 'strategies' hahhahaha

san antonio spurs
02-21-2010, 02:52 AM
A solid group to start? I probably misread! or is it Pop's dry sense of humor? I'm confused, it's not easy to detect on writen quotes without seing the video.:downspin:

HarlemHeat37
02-21-2010, 03:12 AM
Despite the Spurs' defensive-minded lineup, they allowed more than 100 points to the Sixers. Bogans and Bonner, the two new starters, combined to go 2 of 8 for four points.

Is this really some kind of disgusting joke?..honestly..Bogans-Bonner is our "defensive minded" lineup?..seriously?..

Blackjack
02-21-2010, 03:15 AM
Is this really some kind of disgusting joke?..honestly..Bogans-Bonner is our "defensive minded" lineup?..seriously?..

Bogans is a bulldog. He looks like Bruce Bowen . . .

Dex
02-21-2010, 03:18 AM

The theory was sound.

Hill is one of the team's best defenders. Bogans was supposed to be the defensive stopper. And Bonner has been playing the best defense for a bigman outside of Tim Duncan (which says more for the play of the other bigs more than it does for Matt's abilities).

Unfortunately, theory doesn't always equate to reality.

"In theory, Communism works...in theory"

poop
02-21-2010, 03:18 AM
yes harlem, the pinche media keeps trying desperately to go along with/rationalize pop's absurd 'strategies', and its just hilarious to hear.
they are all thinking, 'wow thats quite an unconventional strategy fro popovich..bu hes the 4-ring genious, wat do i know? it must be another brilliant move by pop!!!!' *proceeds to rationalize with audience*

hahahhahahahaha

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-21-2010, 04:02 AM
I'll take Excuse for News reporting excuses for 1000, Alex.

Sean Cagney
02-21-2010, 04:24 AM

Yes looks he does, but game he doesn't remotely resemble him :lol:lol:depressed

Obstructed_View
02-21-2010, 05:53 AM

:lol

Texas_Ranger
02-21-2010, 06:48 AM
We've got a backup plan???

mystargtr34
02-21-2010, 07:38 AM
The only reason Bogan's developed a rep as a defensive stopper is because he is so damn bad on offense. Coaches probably thought, this guy sucks on offense, so he must be a pretty damn good defender to have been in the league this long.

mystargtr34
02-21-2010, 07:41 AM
But seriously, the amount of sarcasm/frustration on the board lately is funny but depressing at the same time. It shows how far the team has fallen, pretty rough times for all of us... but gotta try keep out heads up. Somehow.

Ive been on basketball-reference.com every day for about the last 2 weeks looking at old box scores right through championship years :lol. Even regular season one, some of those Opp. FG% were disgustingly good... ahh the good old days.

DBMethos
02-21-2010, 08:04 AM
"Solid group to start"??? "Defensive-minded lineup"???

Pop has truly gone mental, and the news lackeys are just fueling his idiocy.

mountainballer
02-21-2010, 09:01 AM

no. we've got writers, who call everything a plan.
if today in Detroit Pop suddenly rips his clothes off, runs to the free troth line naked and tries to pee thru the hole from there, McDonald and the other Spurs court reporters would call that a plan either.

wildbill2u
02-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Playing backups as starters against the other team's best players makes no sense.

In your first organized team sport you learn that your best players play against their best because your second best players will get creamed against their best.

If you hide this fact by having the second best players on the court as starters, but for less minutes, haven't you acknowledged this basic fact?

WTF is Pop thinking?

lurker23
02-21-2010, 09:39 AM
The replies to this thread are full of win.

Good thing Pop made these changes after that disappointing game in Denver. It's only been two games, but already there's been a big difference in performance.

The theory was sound.

Hill is one of the team's best defenders. Bogans was supposed to be the defensive stopper. And Bonner has been playing the best defense for a bigman outside of Tim Duncan (which says more for the play of the other bigs more than it does for Matt's abilities).

Unfortunately, theory doesn't always equate to reality.

"In theory, Communism works...in theory"

:lol :tu

And yes, Communism does work in theory. :downspin:

8FOR!3
02-21-2010, 09:51 AM
At least Bonner hasn't been a liability. Bruce Bogan has been nothing but a liability issue for this team in the starting line up and coming off the bench...

lurker23
02-21-2010, 10:09 AM
At least Bonner hasn't been a liability. Bruce Bogan has been nothing but a liability issue for this team in the starting line up and coming off the bench...

Unfortunately he hasn't been a huge asset, either. I think most fans would be okay (not necessarily happy, but okay) with Bonner starting if he found his shot again. Even if Bogans went on an offensive hot streak, fans would probably (with good reason) consider it to be fool's gold. He'd really have to turn up the defensive intensity to be worth playing more than 10 minutes a game.

Big P
02-21-2010, 10:23 AM
bonner as our starting center....there's part of the problem

pjjrfan
02-21-2010, 10:39 AM
The way Jefferson and McDyess have been playing they are backups. I look at how quickly the Mavs have brought in Butler and Haywood into thier scheme and I see one glaring reason. Jason Kidd. In the 3 games there has been no rumbling of getting adjusted to their game, adjusting Kidd's game to theirs, or theirs to Kidds. I love Tony but a good pass first Pt. Guard gets his guys involved first and takes what the defense gives him. No I don't want to trade Tony I like his moxie and he's a fighter, which it seems that Jefferson and surprisingly McDyess are not.

lurker23
02-21-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure what people were expecting from McDyess. In his last 12 games (excluding the Indiana game where he got 9 minutes), he's averaging 8.9 points and 7 rebounds. He too needs to turn up the defensive intensity (can be said for almost all Spurs), but if he focuses on defense and averages 9 and 7 in 25 mpg, he'll basically be doing what the Spurs expected him to do.

ElNono
02-21-2010, 11:43 AM
This article is the prime example of why Pop keeps on pushing the same bullshit and basically gets away with it. I'd love McDonald to interview Bowen about what it took to play that great D from the best years and how Bogans has been unable to deliver at all.
Or maybe write an article on how the top teams have gone with big lineups the last few seasons. Or maybe how the Spurs are trying to win it all with Nellie ball, even though that strategy hasn't won a championship in decades. Or maybe how special Horry was, as a contrast to what Matt Bonner can't ever aspire to be.

You don't have to criticize directly, but a critical eye is much, much better than just being along for the ride.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure what people were expecting from McDyess. In his last 12 games (excluding the Indiana game where he got 9 minutes), he's averaging 8.9 points and 7 rebounds.

I don't know about anyone else, but I sort of expect he and DeJuan Blair (7 points, 6 rebounds) to be playing ahead of Matt stinking Bonner in the rotation in February.

AFBlue
02-21-2010, 12:23 PM

This...wtf? Why did the Spurs need to make a change, and of all the lineups Pop could've settled on going forward, this HAS to be the worst.

Mr Bones
02-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I think the thing no one wants to admit is that Duncan is no longer the dominating top tier player he once was... he's slower and older, and that being the case, it really doesn't matter what happens with Jefferson's confidence, Parker's feet and ankles, McDyess's second half play, etc... the Spurs had an amazing run.... Holt went all in with spending and it was an admirable gamble, better than waiting for the 2010 free agency summer... but this time the gamble just didn't pay off.

Taking it to the Hole
02-21-2010, 12:25 PM
It all started as soon as Bruce left. With him, he took the collective desire of the whole team to play defense.:depressed

DDS4
02-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Once Pop decides to stop tinkering the lineups, maybe the team as a whole can head towards consistency.

it's me
02-21-2010, 12:31 PM
The only reason Bogan's developed a rep as a defensive stopper is because he is so damn bad on offense. Coaches probably thought, this guy sucks on offense, so he must be a pretty damn good defender to have been in the league this long.

Exactly my point.:toast

AFBlue
02-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Once Pop decides to stop tinkering the lineups, maybe the team as a whole can head towards consistency.

I don't disagree with this, but of all the lineups to settle on, this has to be the worst thus far.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I think the thing no one wants to admit is that Duncan is no longer the dominating top tier player he once was...

Agreed. I wonder why he's continually asked to be the only big defending the paint and why his only veteran help in that department was traded away to save a million dollars.

ShoogarBear
02-21-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure what people were expecting from McDyess. In his last 12 games (excluding the Indiana game where he got 9 minutes), he's averaging 8.9 points and 7 rebounds. He too needs to turn up the defensive intensity (can be said for almost all Spurs), but if he focuses on defense and averages 9 and 7 in 25 mpg, he'll basically be doing what the Spurs expected him to do.

Yep, he was getting in a groove. That's why there had to be a change.

Big Empty
02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
I cant understand bringing Richardson off the bench. But starting Bonner? If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

ohmwrecker
02-21-2010, 02:00 PM

This IS the backup plan!

PublicOption
02-21-2010, 02:04 PM
backup plan

I hope it includes winning.

ffadicted
02-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Moving Jefferson to the bench is the dumbest thing Pop has done all season in my opinion. Obviously Jefferson hasn't responded well to hits in his own pride, so moving him out of the starting lineup will only bring his confidence down.

ElNono
02-21-2010, 02:26 PM
I think the thing no one wants to admit is that Duncan is no longer the dominating top tier player he once was... he's slower and older, and that being the case, it really doesn't matter what happens with Jefferson's confidence, Parker's feet and ankles, McDyess's second half play, etc... the Spurs had an amazing run.... Holt went all in with spending and it was an admirable gamble, better than waiting for the 2010 free agency summer... but this time the gamble just didn't pay off.

If you expect him to guard the paint by himself, then I agree with you. But a lot of us didn't. Tim's decline is EXACTLY why we want another capable big (read shot blocker, good rebounder) next to him. Tim is still good to give you double double pretty much every night. He just can't do it on the defensive end alone anymore. But playing small with Tim as the sole big, exacerbates the problem instead of minimizing it.
It's been said countless times how other coaches abuse Tim defending the pick to get him out of the way. Half a season later you think you would have a better answer than playing Matt Bonner. Apparently, we don't.

J Mack
02-21-2010, 02:57 PM
no. we've got writers, who call everything a plan.
if today in Detroit Pop suddenly rips his clothes off, runs to the free troth line naked and tries to pee thru the hole from there, McDonald and the other Spurs court reporters would call that a plan either.
damn:lmao:lmao:rollin:rollin

J Mack
02-21-2010, 03:01 PM
two of my favorite quotes " with great power comes great responsibility" and "attitude reflexs leadership , captain"

Mr Bones
02-21-2010, 03:08 PM
In retrospect, the mistake the Spurs made was waiting one season too long to abandon the 2010 plan. Had they signed a good defender like Pietrus to the MLE instead of saving a couple of million on Mason, they then might have traded the expiring contracts of Bowen, Thomas, and Oberto for a real big instead of a very expensive Jefferson. And despite the many Peitrus detractors on spurstalk that said he sucked that summer, he at this point would have been a better player than Jefferson at about 1/3 the price.

TJastal
02-21-2010, 03:18 PM
In retrospect, the mistake the Spurs made was waiting one season too long to abandon the 2010 plan. Had they signed a good defender like Pietrus to the MLE instead of saving a couple of million on Mason, they then might have traded the expiring contracts of Bowen, Thomas, and Oberto for a real big instead of a very expensive Jefferson. And despite the many Peitrus detractors on spurstalk that said he sucked that summer, he at this point would have been a better player than Jefferson at about 1/3 the price.

+1

Pietrus would have played that spot up corner 3pt shooter type role very well, better than RJ IMO. And his defense is 3X that of Jefferson.

elbamba
02-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Bonner has not been a better defensive player than Dice or Blair. People consistently attack Bonner with ease and have no fear of putting up shots on him. Plus his rebounding sucks.

KB defense is overrated. At his best, he is a step slower than Bowen was last year. Bowen would do a better job of defense just by showing up to the game in a uniform.

The only thing the new starting lineup does is allow the other team to build momentum and hit early easy shots to carry them through the game. The Spurs can only pray that they get some kind of production out of the starting lineup, which they will, every 4 games.

Dice
Duncan
Hill
Mason
Parker

This is a lineup that can play defense and make baskets. It is not our best lineup but would allow the Spurs to stay in the game.

jjktkk
02-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Agreed. I wonder why he's continually asked to be the only big defending the paint and why his only veteran help in that department was traded away to save a million dollars.

Because IMO, Ratliff is a one trick pony. Good defender/rebounder, but nothing on offense. Opposing coaches know Ratliff is a liability on offense and would use their player thats defending Ratliff to double team Duncan, or whomever they choose to double team. Just a guess, but Pop probably wants more offense from the position than the defense that Ratliff can provide.

jjktkk
02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Bonner has not been a better defensive player than Dice or Blair. People consistently attack Bonner with ease and have no fear of putting up shots on him. Plus his rebounding sucks.

KB defense is overrated. At his best, he is a step slower than Bowen was last year. Bowen would do a better job of defense just by showing up to the game in a uniform.

The only thing the new starting lineup does is allow the other team to build momentum and hit early easy shots to carry them through the game. The Spurs can only pray that they get some kind of production out of the starting lineup, which they will, every 4 games.

Dice
Duncan
Hill
Mason
Parker

This is a lineup that can play defense and make baskets. It is not our best lineup but would allow the Spurs to stay in the game.

I disagree that this a good defensive lineup. Under size backcourt and wing position. I do think McDyess should be starting next to Duncan.

elbamba
02-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I disagree that this a good defensive lineup. Under size backcourt and wing position. I do think McDyess should be starting next to Duncan.

If they are going to bring Jefferson and Manu off the bench than Mason and Hill starting are our best options. KB sucks on offense and is not good on defense. Bonner is like the Greg Ostertag of the Spurs, he works as a sixth man on defense for the other team. He has to be hitting threes to make up for his horrible defense, and he has not been doing that.

The point is to not just play defense but to have an offense out there that can score and keep up so we do not play catch up all game. Even when the Spurs had a lead in the Philly game, it seemed like they were trying to catch up to the 76ers.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Because IMO, Ratliff is a one trick pony. Good defender/rebounder, but nothing on offense. Opposing coaches know Ratliff is a liability on offense and would use their player thats defending Ratliff to double team Duncan, or whomever they choose to double team. Just a guess, but Pop probably wants more offense from the position than the defense that Ratliff can provide.

At this point, Bonner and Bogans are both no-trick ponies. Ratliff's would have kept Duncan from having to work so hard on defense leaving him fresh to score on offense, which we all know he can still do.

jjktkk
02-21-2010, 09:10 PM
At this point, Bonner and Bogans are both no-trick ponies. Ratliff's would have kept Duncan from having to work so hard on defense leaving him fresh to score on offense, which we all know he can still do.

I agree. Bogans is horrible. I hope that Pop will give Hairston a chance soon. As for Bonner, IMO Pop is hoping that he rediscovers his shot. If he doesn't, Pop should put your boy Mahimni in, and see if he can contribute.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2010, 10:02 PM
I agree. Bogans is horrible. I hope that Pop will give Hairston a chance soon. As for Bonner, IMO Pop is hoping that he rediscovers his shot. If he doesn't, Pop should put your boy Mahimni in, and see if he can contribute.

And if Mahinmi comes in for several games and can't produce, that will become apparent. I just want the guy to get a chance, because I've seen nothing from him to make me think he isn't ready, and nobody else on the team is making him look like he isn't worth the risk.

objective
02-21-2010, 10:11 PM

I wanted Pietrus that summer too, though I didn't think anyone would offer him the entire MLE.

However, I was under the impression that he would have chosen Orlando over San Antonio even with the same money offered. I could be wrong, but that's my gut feeling based on articles that came out after his signing, but it's just faded memories.

ElNono
02-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Do we have a backup to the backup plan?

objective
02-21-2010, 10:12 PM
And if Mahinmi comes in for several games and can't produce, that will become apparent.

If Mahinmi gets in and doesn't produce a thing . . . that's when he'll really cement his place in the lineup. All the minutes he can handle. :lol

Obstructed_View
02-21-2010, 10:32 PM
If Mahinmi gets in and doesn't produce a thing . . . that's when he'll really cement his place in the lineup. All the minutes he can handle. :lol

:lol

The only way he accomplishes both of those is if he starts indiscriminately shooting threes a la Anthony Tolliver.