PDA

View Full Version : Here's how I'm looking at things now...

Crazymaddopeyo
02-21-2010, 01:56 AM
This team is obviously not a championship team anymore, if I think of them as such watching games is just too frustrating. The mindset that I take now is that this team is more in a class with say the Houston Rockets and hey the Rockets took L.A. to 7 games last season, maybe just maybe we can do that and win that 7th game? It may be a long shot but what's a Spurs fan to do?

Hopefully they turn it around, hopefully the coaching staff and FO see what we really need, but I'm not holding my breath...

timtonymanu
02-21-2010, 02:11 AM
you're a few weeks late.

Crazymaddopeyo
02-21-2010, 02:16 AM
you're a few weeks late.

What can I say, I thought they were going to put something together or maybe make a good trade, didn't happen so as far as I'm concerned I'm right on time.

poop
02-21-2010, 03:02 AM
those rockets had a full team who played with heart not just 3-4 players, a team that played asa team, and a good coach, none of which we have currently despite having superior talent.

Sean Cagney
02-21-2010, 04:32 AM
those rockets had a full team who played with heart not just 3-4 players, a team that played asa team, and a good coach, none of which we have currently despite having superior talent.

:depressed:depressed

TIMMYD!
02-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Fuck, we suck.

exstatic
02-21-2010, 04:23 PM
I really think that if we can get Ian some pt and experience right now he will be a force in the playoffs. He might be capable of guarding Dwight Howard or Shaq or Jamison in the Finals once he has some experience.

God, you people are delusional. Ian Mahinmi isn't some great secret weapon waiting to be unleashed. He's a very athletic Frenchman who has very little idea how to play basketball. The absolute arrogance of you people astounds me. Do you REALLY think you know more than professional coaches and talent evaluators? Really?

z0sa
02-21-2010, 04:31 PM
God, you people are delusional. Ian Mahinmi isn't some great secret weapon waiting to be unleashed. He's a very athletic Frenchman who has very little idea how to play basketball. The absolute arrogance of you people astounds me. Do you REALLY think you know more than professional coaches and talent evaluators? Really?

You don't give Ian nearly enough credit. This guy has been running Spurs sets and mastering our defensive schemes for literally years up in Austin and down here with the big boys in practice.

He deserved nothing less than some fairly consistent burn early in the season, if only for a REAL evaluation. That's discounting the fact we have a glaring hole next to Tim Duncan and Ian possesses all the tools to at least somewhat fill it - and better than anyone else on the roster.

jjktkk
02-21-2010, 04:49 PM
You don't give Ian nearly enough credit. This guy has been running Spurs sets and mastering our defensive schemes for literally years up in Austin and down here with the big boys in practice.

He deserved nothing less than some fairly consistent burn early in the season, if only for a REAL evaluation. That's discounting the fact we have a glaring hole next to Tim Duncan and Ian possesses all the tools to at least somewhat fill it - and better than anyone else on the roster.

Mahimni has mastered the defensive schemes? If this is true, why isn't he playing then? From what little I've seen of him, he still looks alittle lost out on the court. Other than be a impressive athlete, I don't see the fascination that others on here have with Mahimni.

portnoy1
02-21-2010, 04:49 PM
This team is obviously not a championship team anymore, if I think of them as such watching games is just too frustrating. The mindset that I take now is that this team is more in a class with say the Houston Rockets and hey the Rockets took L.A. to 7 games last season, maybe just maybe we can do that and win that 7th game? It may be a long shot but what's a Spurs fan to do?

Hopefully they turn it around, hopefully the coaching staff and FO see what we really need, but I'm not holding my breath...you seem to forget THE ROCKETS PLAYED TEAM/INDIVIDUAL DEFENSE and the spurs defense is......................:lmao

DAF86
02-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Remember last year when our lesser basketball minds were asking for our professional coach to play Hill in the playoffs but he with his superior wisdom decided to leave him on the bench until he had no other option and was already too late? And that scrub that wasn't good enough to get playoff minutes (according to our coach) ended up beign our third best player that series. Do you remember all of that?

z0sa
02-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Mahimni has mastered the defensive schemes?

He's definitely spent much more time on them than any Spur bigman not named Tim or Matt (or Mike .. :depressed).

portnoy1
02-21-2010, 04:55 PM
He's definitely spent much more time on them than any Spur bigman not named Tim or Matt.
Do you really think Matt Bonner spends time on defensive schemes? Bonner spends as much time looking for his man on defense, as he does looking for sandwhiches.

z0sa
02-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Do you really think Matt Bonner spends time on defensive schemes? Bonner spends as much time looking for his man on defense, as he does looking for sandwhiches.

I think Matt Bonner is at worst, our third best big defensively. He's been sucking lately but pre-injury I was very happy with his play on that end.

Chomag
02-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Mahimni has mastered the defensive schemes? If this is true, why isn't he playing then? From what little I've seen of him, he still looks alittle lost out on the court. Other than be a impressive athlete, I don't see the fascination that others on here have with Mahimni.

From what you have seen? You mean all the garbage time minute when the game is allready over with a minute or two left in the game, and when mostly everyone on the court is freestyling?

For example in the last games when he was defending the post he had no weakside help to come over becuase everone else was just ready to hear the Buzzer sound.

I think Ian will prove to be a very good weakside defender, but whatever Pop will make sure we will never know.

redskinfan
02-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Remember last year when our lesser basketball minds were asking for our professional coach to play Hill in the playoffs but he with his superior wisdom decided to leave him on the bench until he had no other option and was already too late? And that scrub that wasn't good enough to get playoff minutes (according to our coach) ended up beign our third best player that series. Do you remember all of that?

I dont think they remember but i sure as hell do...What's the worst that can happen if Ian plays? Lose? well that's happening already so I would like to see what Ian and Malik can do..

exstatic
02-21-2010, 05:33 PM
All i know is that he can jump really high. maybe higher than dwight howard and that is good enough reason to play him more. Bonner can barely dunk.

“They run like deer, jump like deer and think like deer.”
Charles Barkely

Do you REALLY think that all it takes to be an NBA player is the ability to run fast and jump high? That would explain a lot....

exstatic
02-21-2010, 05:41 PM

Played? Yes. Mastered? I doubt it. The front office and coaching staff has seen him for a full year in Austin, three training camps, two or three summer leagues and innumerable practices. If he were ready, or even NEAR ready he'd be playing.

He doesn't understand the game. Shit, a shrimp bowling ball named DeJuan came in and took his fucking candy this year. That's because in spite of the fact that he's 6' 5 1/2" and built like a linebacker, he fucking understands how to play the game. He understands how to create space for himself in the paint to get rebounds and score. If Ian understood 50% of what DeJuan does, he'd be rolling into an extension of probably $6-8 mil per year next year instead of not having his option picked up.

exstatic
02-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Yes I do. Do you even watch Spurs games much less any basketball games? Ian Mahinmi is one of the most athletic big men to ever play the game.

The road to the NBA is littered with such players. Why isn't James fucking Flight White even on a NBA roster, then? Answer me that one, hotshot.

I have watched every game this year, and probably 95% of them over the Duncan era.

DPG21920
02-21-2010, 05:47 PM
:lol one of the most athletic big men to ever play the game.

But people evaluate talent wrong all the time, which is how you end up with Bogans/Bonner in your starting lineup and drafting Kwame.

Also, just because Ian might not be an NBA player does not mean it does not make sense to play him.

exstatic
02-21-2010, 05:51 PM
“They run like deer, jump like deer and think like deer.”
Charles Barkely

Do you REALLY think that all it takes to be an NBA player is the ability to run fast and jump high? That would explain a lot....

Yes I do. Do you even watch Spurs games much less any basketball games? Ian Mahinmi is one of the most athletic big men to ever play the game.

Wow. Just wow. I think we're done. It's like trying to talk English to a Swahili speaker. There's just a fundamental disconnect in what we both think it takes to be an NBA player. I think I understand where a large part of the "hate Pop" crowd is coming from now.

DAF86
02-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Played? Yes. Mastered? I doubt it. The front office and coaching staff has seen him for a full year in Austin, three training camps, two or three summer leagues and innumerable practices. If he were ready, or even NEAR ready he'd be playing.

He doesn't understand the game. Shit, a shrimp bowling ball named DeJuan came in and took his fucking candy this year. That's because in spite of the fact that he's 6' 5 1/2" and built like a linebacker, he fucking understands how to play the game. He understands how to create space for himself in the paint to get rebounds and score. If Ian understood 50% of what DeJuan does, he'd be rolling into an extension of probably $6-8 mil per year next year instead of not having his option picked up.

And you know this because...

DPG21920
02-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Now it is probably too late to play Ian though. Spurs still want to make the playoffs and probably can't afford to give him burn. They could have done it at the beginning of the year, but that ship has sailed.

Jace
02-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Now it is probably too late to play Ian though. Spurs still want to make the playoffs and probably can't afford to give him burn. They could have done it at the beginning of the year, but that ship has sailed.

I'd be leery of dumping Mahinmi only to have him explode on another team, Spurs have never had a great ability to develop stars..

ginobili fan
02-21-2010, 06:12 PM

Then the professional coaches and talent evaluators are so intelligent to pick Mahinmi in the first round draft and let him go without trying him ?

redskinfan
02-21-2010, 06:37 PM

Exstatic respond to this one, you have quoted and responded to everyone on this thread except for this one...thats what i thought popsucker...:lmao

exstatic
02-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Exstatic respond to this one, you have quoted and responded to everyone on this thread except for this one...thats what i thought popsucker...:lmao

Not really the same situation at all. Hill played minutes most of the season, but started to press and his level of play went down in the final months. Pop sat him for the playoffs. What I've not noticed quoted here was that pop admitted his mistake. Where's that quote?

I don't think Pop is perfect. I also don't think he's the worst coach in the history of the universe and never makes a right decision. I guess that makes me a Popsucker on this board.

z0sa
02-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Played? Yes. Mastered? I doubt it.

Why? He's had years in the system. You can't expect a player to be perfect in 2 minutes every 15 games or in the one game with decent minutes a year. Rookies make mistakes no matter how hard they work in practice.

You cannot really evaluate a player on this basis or the evidence shown from it, either. I'm not even sure why the Spurs would feel compelled to in Ian's case.

The front office and coaching staff has seen him for a full year in Austin, three training camps, two or three summer leagues and innumerable practices. If he were ready, or even NEAR ready he'd be playing.

Uh, he's shown flashes against NBA teams. The Nets are terrible, but they're better than the D-League talent he consistently wrecked on during his Toros stints.

He doesn't understand the game. Shit, a shrimp bowling ball named DeJuan came in and took his fucking candy this year.

Blair, the 37th pick (Mahinmi is the 28th and has years in the Spurs system and is exactly what we need at C if he could play even average) has gotten minutes from the very beginning. Mahinmi hasn't even been considered. That's discounting all the $$ the Spurs have invested into what they've deemed a bust without any game evidence.

I don't think your arguments hold much water. They're only your opinions, not really arguments - how can you know Mahinmi's BBIQ with very little hard data available, or read the coaches' minds and know why they aren't playing him? The only way to base any real argument is seeing him get some consistent time in real NBA contests and studying both his play and Pop's reactions.

I don't know what could be hurt with him playing, especially when he played well against the Nets. He's exactly the skillset we need at the 5 and in case you forgot, we won a title with Nazr Mohammed in the middle. Don't forget we acquired Nazr mid season, either, and from the Knicks no less.

jjktkk
02-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Why? He's had years in the system. You can't expect a player to be perfect in 2 minutes every 15 games or in the one game with decent minutes a year. Rookies make mistakes no matter how hard they work in practice.

You cannot really evaluate a player on this basis or the evidence shown from it, either. I'm not even sure why the Spurs would feel compelled to in Ian's case.

Uh, he's shown flashes against NBA teams. The Nets are terrible, but they're better than the D-League talent he consistently wrecked on during his Toros stints.

Blair, the 37th pick (Mahinmi is the 28th and has years in the Spurs system and is exactly what we need at C if he could play even average) has gotten minutes from the very beginning. Mahinmi hasn't even been considered. That's discounting all the $$ the Spurs have invested into what they've deemed a bust without any game evidence.

I don't think your arguments hold much water. They're only your opinions, not really arguments - how can you know Mahinmi's BBIQ with very little hard data available, or read the coaches' minds and know why they aren't playing him? The only way to base any real argument is seeing him get some consistent time in real NBA contests and studying both his play and Pop's reactions.

I don't know what could be hurt with him playing, especially when he played well against the Nets. He's exactly the skillset we need at the 5 and in case you forgot, we won a title with Nazr Mohammed in the middle. Don't forget we acquired Nazr mid season, either, and from the Knicks no less.

The Spurs did invest in Mahimni. He has very impressive physical tools. So z0sa, my question to you is why Doesn't Mahimni get any consistant playing time? I too think he doesn't have the BBIQ. Why else wouldn't he get playing time?

pjjrfan
02-21-2010, 09:14 PM
At this point why not play Ian? Will his low numbers be any worse than bogan's low numbers or bonner's or Jefferson's or Mason's. Give me a break. He's on the roster use him he can't be any worse than what Pop's got out there with Timmy now. And why keep Blair on the bench at the end? Another chance to get Blair acclimated to intense basketball instead he sits and learns how to watch his team lose. I can just hear Pop saying he will sit Blair for the rest of the season because he's not ready for the big time. Sound familiar