PDA

View Full Version : Heritage: New IAEA Report Warns About Iran’s Nuclear Weapons Efforts

spursncowboys
02-21-2010, 01:18 PM
New IAEA Report Warns About Iran’s Nuclear Weapons Efforts

Posted February 19th, 2010 at 6:54pm in American Leadership 2
Print This Post

Yesterday the International Atomic Energy Agency released a report that warned that it has evidence that Iran may be working on a nuclear warhead. This is the first time the IAEA has suggested that Tehran had either resumed such work or in fact had never stopped, as U.S. intelligence agencies had concluded in a controversial 2007 National Intelligence Estimate. The draft report (pdf) cited undisclosed evidence that “raises concerns about the possible existence in Iran of past or current undisclosed activities related to the development of a nuclear payload for a missile.”

The report also noted that Iran had stonewalled IAEA efforts to discuss issues related to nuclear weapons work since August 2008 and confirmed that Iran had enriched uranium to a level of 19.8 percent, which is a major step toward producing weapons-grade uranium, despite repeated U.N. Security Council resolutions demanding that they stop these and other nuclear activities.

The new report, which included the U.N. agency’s strongest language to date concerning Iran’s suspicious nuclear activities, was the first prepared under the leadership of new IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano. Amino last year replaced former IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei, who repeatedly undermined western efforts to pressure Iran to halt its nuclear program and earned a reputation as the “nuclear watchdog that didn’t bark.”

The Obama Administration urged Iran to publicly address issues highlighted in the report. State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley complained that “We cannot explain why it refuses to come to the table and engage constructively to answer questions that have been raised.”

One senior administration official who briefed reporters on the report underscored that the findings showed that Iran’s “pattern of behavior is one that is very disturbing.” Another anonymous senior official told The New York Times that Iran’s actions described in the report “almost suggest the Iranian military is inviting a confrontation.”

But Tehran may believe that such a confrontation is unlikely with the Obama Administration, which continues to cling to its failed engagement strategy. Earlier this week Vice President Joseph Biden went out of his way to downplay Iran’s nuclear threat. And on February 17, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told Al-Arabiya television that “Obviously, we don’t want Iran to become a nuclear weapons power, but we are not planning anything other than going for sanctions.”

The new IAEA report provided fresh evidence contradicting the controversial 2007 National Intelligence Estimate on Iran’s nuclear program that concluded that Iran had suspended weaponization activities in 2003. Rep. Pete Hoekstra (R-MI), the ranking Republican member on the House Select Committee on Intelligence, called for a review of the flawed 2007 NIE by outside experts:

When the IAEA, a United Nations body, is issuing reports that are more definitive than the US intelligence community, something is clearly wrong. The solution is to set up a “Red Team” of non-government experts to review US intelligence on an Iranian nuclear weapons program and issue an independent report. There is precedent for such an outside review which I believe would help improve and restore confidence in U.S. intelligence analysis.

For more on Iran, see: Iran Briefing Room

http://blog.heritage.org/2010/02/19/new-iaea-report-warns-about-iran’s-nuclear-weapons-efforts/

Wild Cobra
02-21-2010, 01:27 PM
How many years late is this report anyway?

Wild Cobra
02-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Read the attached PDF by chance? It's pretty cool for geeks like myself.

Implementation of the NPT Safeguards
Agreement and relevant provisions of Security
Council resolutions 1737 (2006), 1747 (2007),
1803 (2008) and 1835 (2008) in the Islamic
Republic of Iran (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/files/fp_uploaded_images/IAEA_Report_Iran_18Feb2010.pdf)

Between 21 November 2009 and 2 December 2009, the Agency conducted a physical inventory
verification (PIV) at FEP and verified that, as of 22 November 2009, 21 140 kg of natural UF6 had
been fed into the cascades since February 2007, and a total of 1808 kg of low enriched UF6 had been
produced. The enrichment level of the low enriched UF6 product, as measured by the Agency, was
3.47% U-235. The Agency is continuing with its assessment of the PIV and is discussing the results
with Iran. Iran has estimated that, between 23 November 2009 and 29 January 2010, it produced an
additional 257 kg of low enriched UF6, which would result in a total production of 2065 kg of low
enriched UF6 since the startup of FEP. The nuclear material at FEP (including the feed, product and
tails), as well as all installed cascades and the feed and withdrawal stations, are subject to Agency
containment and surveillance.

On 14 February 2010, Iran, in the presence of Agency inspectors, moved approximately 1950 kg
of low enriched UF6 from FEP to the PFEP feed station. The Agency inspectors sealed the cylinder
containing the material to the feed station. Iran provided the Agency with mass spectrometry results
which indicate that enrichment levels of up to 19.8% U-235 were obtained at PFEP between 9 and
11 February 2010.
I don't know what's normal, but I'm impressed that Iran was able to process 1950 kg of below 5% material to almost 20% in two short days. This is done at a slow rate because it is done near a vacuum and in a cascade of centrifuges. 1950 kg is a great volume of gas.

Looks like they know what they are doing, and should be able to farther refine it to 90%+ easy enough.

SouthernFried
02-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Anyone...who at anytime thought that IRAN was just trying to develop nuclear power for energy, was/is criminally moronic.

PublicOption
02-21-2010, 11:50 PM
usa's 20000 nukes> iran's 1 nuke.

spurms
02-22-2010, 12:26 AM
nothing new, just main stream media deviating from facts that IAEA reports stated that Iran are not divesting it's Uranium into other programs, what Amano said was just a plain repeat of what an undisclosed CIA paper claim to be underground nuclear weapons production back in 2005, which was never proven, and when asked for those said secret documents from the UN and the IAEA, the Americans promptly reported back that it is unavailable because it's top secret, what Amano repeated was no different that what was said under Al Baradei, but media disinformation and fear mongering to the witless masses is still a pretty effective tool nowadays, in any case, feel free to attack Iran, you guys are already losing support from your previous staunch ally Turkey and Qatar, Egypt is tithering and even Saudi Arabia is tilting, an attack on Iran would only mean an end to the fleets of floating coffin dubbed the Aircraft carriers in the PG which has no defense against advance cruise missiles, nevermind the super sonic variant, and not to mention the rise of Food stamp applicants in the USA as a result, might benefit Goldman Sex foodstamp selling scheme though.

scott
02-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Read the attached PDF by chance? It's pretty cool for geeks like myself.

Implementation of the NPT Safeguards
Agreement and relevant provisions of Security
Council resolutions 1737 (2006), 1747 (2007),
1803 (2008) and 1835 (2008) in the Islamic
Republic of Iran (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/files/fp_uploaded_images/IAEA_Report_Iran_18Feb2010.pdf)

A tangent in regards to the NPT… The three confirmed possessors of nuclear weapons who also happen to be three prominent non-signers of the NPT (Pakistan, India, Israel) and have always maintained that there is little ethical ground for why the US, Russia, UK, France and China should be the only members of the "haves" club, while the rest of the world is left as the "have-nots". And of course, nary a peep is ever raised over their possession of nukes.

This is an interesting game of chess that Iran (and to a lesser extent, North Korea) has been playing for the last few years. In the case of Iran, they've had the balls to tell the rest of the world to F off, gambling that the rest of the world has been bluffing with anything more serious than economic sanctions. Whether or not Iran should have nukes aside, from the same perspective of Pakistan, India and Israel - Iran is justified in asking the question "why can't we be part of the "haves" club as well?"

From a global strategic perspective, the world seems to have lost the MAD aspect of nuclear warfare. Any recent over-dramaticized conflict with Russia and China aside, there is no real threat (deterrent to usage) of MAD other than Pakistan-India. Couple that with the unaccounted-for stockpiles of weapons from the cold-war, this is truly a time that has the elements for nuclear chaos. Iran and NK getting into the mix certainly doesn't help.

From a historical perspective, I think this post-Cold War era (that will end... who knows when?) will be on par with the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Cold War itself as an interesting of study, as I believe there is probably much more maneuvering behind the scenes than we are aware of (and sadly, that even our elected leaders worldwide are aware of).

Anyway, don't have any opinion to lend on this situation - I just find it fascinating from a historical viewpoint.

Wild Cobra
02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
I agree with CIA Director William Cabot. I'm not worried about the country that has thousands. I'm worried about the guy who manages to get one.

xrayzebra
02-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Iran is going to have it's nuke, unless, Israel uses it's now announced
unmanned drones to take them out.

Obama and friends are not going to anything to prevent it, unless
you count talking about it, something. Matter of fact Obama
would more than likely help them celebrate when the get it
finished.

George Gervin's Afro
02-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Iran is going to have it's nuke, unless, Israel uses it's now announced
unmanned drones to take them out.

Obama and friends are not going to anything to prevent it, unless
you count talking about it, something. Matter of fact Obama
would more than likely help them celebrate when the get it
finished.

You are going to include all other presidents who allowed it to happen right ray? they have been working on this well before Obama was in office. you do realize that don't you?

coyotes_geek
02-22-2010, 03:59 PM
You are going to include all other presidents who allowed it to happen right ray? they have been working on this well before Obama was in office. you do realize that don't you?

Okay, there were others before him. Now what?

George Gervin's Afro
02-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Okay, there were others before him. Now what?

Just correcting someone's lack of historical knowledge..I think we should take Sarah palin's advice and declare war on them.. we should then invade them under the guise of them having wmds... this plan has worked well in the past so what the hell. War is fun!!!

coyotes_geek
02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Just correcting someone's lack of historical knowledge..I think we should take Sarah palin's advice and declare war on them.. we should then invade them under the guise of them having wmds... this plan has worked well in the past so what the hell. War is fun!!!

Actually you were just attempting to use history to deflect attention from what Obama is, or isn't, doing in the here and now. Which is what xray was talking about. You're the one who brought history into this. We all agree, Iran started working on nukes a long time ago. There are multiple people to point the finger at in terms of how we got to where we are today But there's only one guy to point the finger at in terms of what we're going to do today. This is Obama's problem.

xrayzebra
02-22-2010, 05:10 PM

GGA, if you go back in time, a long way in time, you will
see I said when Bush was Prez that they would have their
bomb. No one, I repeat, no one has enough guts
anymore, except maybe Israel, to do anything about it.
We are a country of wimps anymore. We should have
already kick butt and taken names, N. Korea and
Iran. We had plenty of muscle to do it at one time, now
I am not so sure. We seemed to lack in the American
spirit. Liberals with big mouths, actually all mouth and
no balls.

My post on 11-12-07

"It is not going to happen with this administration. The next
administration may have to deal with it. But Bush and his
administration knows they don't have the backing to even
attempt to invade Iran. But don't count out Israel. They are
not going to take being wiped out by Iran sitting on their haunches. They know when the man says they want them
wiped off the face of the earth he means it. Our bunch just
attempt to make out he didn't say anything."

spursncowboys
02-22-2010, 07:31 PM

I pray that way of thinking doesn't ooze into the national foreign policy discussions.