PDA

View Full Version : NBA Players Speak: Most Overrated Player

RedsLakers24
02-21-2010, 04:29 PM
In the Sports Illustrated poll this week, Sports Illustrated asked the players: who is the most overated?

Here are the results of the 173 players who responded:

WHO IS THE NBA'S MOST OVERRATED PLAYER?

Tracy McGrady, Rockets G/F 9%

Danny Granger, Pacers F 4%

LaMarcus Aldridge, Trail Blazers F 3%

Andre Iguodala, Sixers G/F 3%

LeBron James, Cavaliers F 3%

FAST FACTS

At week's end the oft-injured McGrady was rumored to be leaving Houston in a deal with the Knicks involving, among others, forward Al Harrington, who received one vote.... Three other players each had 3% of the votes: Cavs center Shaquille O'Neal, Hornets forward David West and suspended Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas.... Five 2010 All-Stars received more than one vote each: James, Celtics forwards Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce, Heat guard Dwyane Wade and Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace.

Based on a survey of 173 NBA players

For me the most interesting thing about this poll is not necessarily who made it, but who didn't. According the the way this poll worked, Kobe Bryant did not recieve more than one vote.

In prior polls in different sports, great players made the list, some even finishing first, as Derek Jeter did in the baseball poll. Derek Jeter is a pretty good player. A lock hall of famer.

Kobe has won many official awards over his stellar career, really too many to mention. And though this is not an award, the respect accorded to him by his peers, by his absence, speaks volumes of the respect he carries within the players in the league. I would say this carries as much weight as any award he has won and is a real feather in his cap. He should be proud his name did not make the list. Kobe is obviously considered worth the hype he gets by the players themselves.

Here is the link for those who want to go to the site:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1166070/index.htm)

I also remember way back in the day when Kobe, McGrady and Vince Carter were all mentioned in the same breath in endless comparisons about who was the true successor to Michael Jordan. Who would become the next great player in the league. I remember seeing numerous tv segments about the three and reading many articles on that same topic. I am sure many of you do too.

That arguement is long past now, isn't it? Only one of those three ripped the torch of greatness for himself. Fortunatly, it was the guy in the Lakers uniform who proved himself worthy of those long ago accolades. They other two fell way short. I think it is a tribute not only to his amazing skill, but also his unparralled work ethic and desire to be the best player on the planet. He put in the work, minute by minute, hour by hour, day after day, week after week, month by month, year after year. He never skimped or took a break. The results are shown by his skills and performance. He earned and worked for everything he got. He left the other two in the dust. They just could not keep up with him as the decade played itself out. And the reason for that is due only to Kobe himself. He just flat out buried them with his desire and work. He wanted it more than anything on earth. He was willing to sacrifice his life to get it. The other two never had a chance against him. It's just that not many knew that ten years ago when those stories were fashionable and reasonable.

:rollin

Muser
02-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Granger overrated :lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-21-2010, 04:56 PM
IMO Granger is overrated. No one on this list is a huge surprise.

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Lebron is def overrated. Already given GOAT talk which is completely undeserved. Team full of All-Stars still can't win shit.

Allanon
02-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Granger and some of those others are the perfect examples of "empty stats".

They get great stats but don't do jack to help their team get wins.

Stats < Wins

Chieflion
02-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Lebron is def overrated. Already given GOAT talk which is completely undeserved. Team full of All-Stars still can't win shit.
:wow

:lmao

:wakeup

Darrin
02-21-2010, 06:03 PM
:wow

:lmao

:wakeup

Antawn Jamison
Shaquille O'Neal
Mo Williams
Lebron James

Chieflion
02-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Antawn Jamison
Shaquille O'Neal
Mo Williams
Lebron James
So LeBron James plays with himself while Shaq sucked most of this season. Antawn Jamison played with the Cavs for 2 games. 2 games! Mo Williams is an all-star replacement last season. Just because you play with former all-stars really don't mean shit. Hey, Wally World and Big Z were all-stars too. They don't play like it.

DAF86
02-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Antawn Jamison
Shaquille O'Neal
Mo Williams
Lebron James

So you see why saying that he plays with a team full of all-stars is funny, right?

TheMACHINE
02-21-2010, 06:16 PM
So LeBron James plays with himself while Shaq sucked most of this season. Antawn Jamison played with the Cavs for 2 games. 2 games! Mo Williams is an all-star replacement last season. Just because you play with former all-stars really don't mean shit. Hey, Wally World and Big Z were all-stars too. They don't play like it.

damn sons...u already making excuses for Lebron James i see. Its a legit team. I dont know why you are trippin.

Chieflion
02-21-2010, 06:20 PM
damn sons...u already making excuses for Lebron James i see. Its a legit team. I dont know why you are trippin.
It is a legit team. But making claims that the team is full of all-stars is ridiculous, no?

TheMACHINE
02-21-2010, 06:27 PM
It is a legit team. But making claims that the team is full of all-stars is ridiculous, no?

Latest All Stars Appearence:

Lebron All Star 2010
Shaq 2009 Allstar MVP
Jamison 2008 Allstar
Mo Wiliams 2009 All Star
Big Z 2005 (i think)

List some other teams that has the same all stars then the Cavs:

Jazz
Boston (4)
Mavericks (4)

Basd on other teams, i shtink its 100% legit to say they are full of all stars.

Chieflion
02-21-2010, 06:28 PM

Lebron All Star 2010
Shaq 2009 Allstar MVP
Jamison 2008 Allstar
Mo Wiliams 2009 All Star
Big Z 2005 (i think)

Jazz
Boston
Mavericks
So if they are all-stars, they better play like it, no? Shaq and Mo haven't been playing like one, otherwise they would have been selected.

This season: LeBron James only all-star for the Cavs

TheMACHINE
02-21-2010, 06:30 PM
So if they are all-stars, they better play like it, no? Shaq and Mo haven't been playing like one, otherwise they would have been selected.

This season: LeBron James only all-star for the Cavs

Ahhh i get it...so when all stars dont play like all stars along Lebron James, its the all stars fault.

DAF86
02-21-2010, 06:54 PM

Lebron All Star 2010
Shaq 2009 Allstar MVP
Jamison 2008 Allstar
Mo Wiliams 2009 All Star
Big Z 2005 (i think)

Jazz
Boston (4)
Mavericks (4)

The Spurs have Duncan, Manu, Tony, Finley and I'm not sure but I think that both RJ and Dice made the all-star team at least one time, we also had Ratliff. So that's like 7 all-stars, we're stacked!

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Ahhh i get it...so when all stars dont play like all stars along Lebron James, its the all stars fault.

And when Shannon Brown/Smush Parker play better alongside Kobe than Lebron...Kobe doesn't make him his teammates better like Lebron does! :lol

DAF86
02-21-2010, 07:26 PM
And when Shannon Brown/Smush Parker play better alongside Kobe than Lebron...Kobe doesn't make him his teammates better like Lebron does! :lol

Brown plays better when Kobe is out.

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-21-2010, 07:28 PM

Not really. Like the 2-11 against Boston and the choke in the 4th quarter :lol

Brown is more efficient and better defensively statistically with Kobe on the floor.

j-money24
02-21-2010, 07:37 PM

He had his worst game of the season against the Celtics with Kobe out. Nice try

DAF86
02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
He had his worst game of the season against the Celtics with Kobe out. Nice try

He had his best game without Kobe also.

Double-Up
02-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Lebron All Star 2010
Shaq 2009 Allstar MVP
Jamison 2008 Allstar
Mo Wiliams 2009 All Star
Big Z 2005 (i think)

Jazz
Boston (4)
Mavericks (4)

Big Z is NOT on the fucking roster.

TheMACHINE
02-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Big Z is NOT on the fucking roster.

ok..i'll bump this thread in 30 days.

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-21-2010, 07:47 PM

He had a career high in points, not his best game of the season though.

TheMACHINE
02-21-2010, 07:48 PM
The Spurs have Duncan, Manu, Tony, Finley and I'm not sure but I think that both RJ and Dice made the all-star team at least one time, we also had Ratliff. So that's like 7 all-stars, we're stacked!

yes you have a legit team, but im not gonna say "omg Tim Duncan doesnt have help, its just him and nobody." Also...when was the last time those guys were all stars...i bet it was longer ago then Lebrons teammates.

j-money24
02-21-2010, 07:49 PM

Against the worst defensive team in the league... The Golden State Warriors :lol

hitmanyr2k
02-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Anyone that thinks Big Z has EVER been a true all-star level player is a freakin moron :lol He made the all-star team mainly because the east centers at the time just flat out sucked. There wasn't much of a choice.

z0sa
02-21-2010, 08:04 PM
LeBron James has never had decent talent until this season.

23LeBronJames23
02-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Anyone that thinks Big Z has EVER been a true all-star level player is a freakin moron :lol He made the all-star team mainly because the east centers at the time just flat out sucked. There wasn't much of a choice.

Same with Mo Williams

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-21-2010, 08:42 PM
LeBron James has never had decent talent until this season.

Boozer.

And he had a good team last year.

The East was terrible in 07. Getting swept in the finals is not an accomplishment.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-21-2010, 09:04 PM
granger? no

Mr Bones
02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
At this point, I'd say Arenas. After signing a monster contract he missed almost 2 years with injuries and then behaved like an idiot and sent his team into complete tank and rebuild mode.

mystargtr34
02-22-2010, 12:10 AM
LaMarcus Aldridge is over rated. Doesnt really do anything other than score. Even his scoring is over rated, scoring 90% of his points of fade away jumshots. Jumjpshots = no drawing double teams, not getting opposing big's into foul trouble.

Doesnt really rebound, or play much defense/protect the rim either. Would be a nice third option on a contending team though. Or nice first option on the Spurs.

mystargtr34
02-22-2010, 12:12 AM
I didnt think T-Mac was even rated anymore, and i can see why Granger is over rated, but i can think of alot more over rated players.

Pelicans78
02-22-2010, 12:13 AM
LaMarcus is overrated. He won't ever be a go-to-guy type of player. He's perfectly suited for carrying Roy's jock strap.

Pelicans78
02-22-2010, 12:15 AM
I would even take David West over Aldridge.

That said, the Bulls were absolutely stupid for taking Tyrun Thomas over Aldridge just as the Bobcats were pathetic for taking Morrison over Brandon Roy who was clearly the best player in the draft. Can't believe how scouts missed on him, especially as he manhandled a stacked UConn team in the Sweet 16 that year.

JoeTait75
02-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Boozer.

And he had a good team last year.

The East was terrible in 07. Getting swept in the finals is not an accomplishment.

He had Boozer for one year, and other than Boozer and Big Z, the rest of his supporting cast from that team was garbage. They had Kevin Ollie and Eric Williams in the starting lineup.

I actually think the rest of the Cavaliers around LeBron NOW are underrated. But he did not have a particularly good team around him his first 3-4 years in the league, up to and including 2007.

jacobdrj
02-22-2010, 12:59 AM

I thought the East won the all-star game this season... Certainly you are not referring to any Cavs roster of the past decade, because that would make you look silly...

23LeBronJames23
02-22-2010, 01:00 AM
I would even take David West over Aldridge.

That said, the Bulls were absolutely stupid for taking Tyrun Thomas over Aldridge just as the Bobcats were pathetic for taking Morrison over Brandon Roy who was clearly the best player in the draft. Can't believe how scouts missed on him, especially as he manhandled a stacked UConn team in the Sweet 16 that year.

And Portland Oden over Durant