PDA

View Full Version : Has there been a Deron discussion re. Brewer trade?

milkshakeballa
02-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Oakland, Calif. » A day after the Jazz traded his self-described "little brother," Deron Williams sharply questioned Friday the direction the team was going after the deal that sent Ronnie Brewer to Memphis for a protected first-round draft pick.
"I think if we'd make a trade it would be something a little different than that," Williams said at the pregame shootaround. "You look at all the teams that are getting better around the West and we essentially get worse, if you ask me."
Williams didn't hide his frustration in talking to reporters and broadcasts, starting out by saying, "I really ain't got nothing much good to say about the trade," and declaring it was "pretty safe to say" his feelings were shared among the team.
Asked whether the Brewer trade affected his thinking about his long-term future in Utah, Williams uttered words that could reverberate in the team's front office: "That's why I signed a three-year deal."
Williams never before has brought up the length of the contract extension he signed in July 2008 in such terms. Rather than opting for a full five-year extension, Williams signed a three-year deal with a player option for a fourth year, giving him an out from Utah.
With the deal completed just minutes before Thursday's 1 p.m. deadline, Brewer was pulled off the Jazz's flight. Williams said he had "two seconds" to say goodbye. "Probably one of the quietest flights we've had just because we were in shock," Williams said.

Brewer had been a full-time starter with the Jazz for three seasons. Rookie Wesley Matthews will step into the spot for tonight's game at Golden State.
The Jazz have won 15 of their last 17 games and climbed to third in the Western Conference. Williams was asked if he was concerned about the trade halting the momentum the Jazz have built over the past six weeks.
"Hopefully, not," Williams said. "We've just got to keep playing. It stinks that these things happen in the NBA. Like I said the other day, it doesn't really happen with us too much. We've just got to keep playing, keep winning."

Haven't seen anything on this here. Thoughts?

sribb43
02-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Deron will leave SLC at the end of his deal

Pelicans78
02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Kinda surprised he would openly admit it. Obviously he signed a 3-year deal for that reason, but not sure if it was wise to make such a statement.

balli
02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
He's pissed. He should be. He'll get over it. Deron likes it here, re-upped once and spends his summers here; he might leave, and I emphasize might, but it won't be because of this.

I'm just mystified Jazz management pulled the trigger without at least consulting Deron first. If they felt they needed to make the deal for financial reasons, fine, but you touch base with your franchise cornerstone and All NBA PG first. Especially when that deal involves one of his best friends. Dumbass Jazz.

Pelicans78
02-21-2010, 10:56 PM
He's pissed. He should be. He'll get over it. Deron likes it here, spends his summers here; he might leave, and I emphasize might, but it won't be because of this.

I'm just mystified Jazz management pulled the trigger without at least consulting Deron first. If they felt they needed to make the deal for financial reasons, fine, but you touch base with your franchise cornerstone and All NBA PG first. Especially when that deal involves one of his best friends. Dumbass Jazz.

Not sure if the FO needs to consult him. Paul had the same issue when Byron Scott was fired. He felt the team should have consulted him because Scott and him were good friends, but the team has the right to do what they want.

Do you think the Jazz FO felt they could win without Brewer or was this truly a salary dump?

balli
02-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Do you think the Jazz FO felt they could win without Brewer or was this truly a salary dump?

I think they do [think they can win anyways]. I do too*. I'm not sure Brewer made us all that much better than Matthews, Miles and Korver... but he made us deeper if one of those guys gets hurt. And he was certainly fun to watch.

I think the local consensus is that re-signing CJ Miles was a mistake as it eventually cost us Brewer. I'm not absolutely sure if that's the case or not and I'm not the one paying the bills, but I'd tend to agree. I wish we'd of kept him if for nothing else the added depth/athleticism he gave us and obviously, to keep Deron happy. But I'm playing with hypothetical money- I'm sure that 5 million felt a lot more real to ownership.

*Though Portland's currently kicking our asses.

MavDynasty
02-21-2010, 11:10 PM
hopefully deron doesn't play like shit after this trade ala jho after devin trade

baseline bum
02-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Haven't seen anything on this here. Thoughts?

He's a dumbass for not signing a 6 year deal when he knew a lockout was on the horizon.

cobbler
02-21-2010, 11:13 PM
He would look great in Purple & Gold! :wow

Pelicans78
02-21-2010, 11:15 PM
I think they do [think they can win anyways]. I do too*. I'm not sure Brewer made us all that much better than Matthews, Miles and Korver... but he made us deeper if one of those guys gets hurt. And he was certainly fun to watch.

I think the local consensus is that re-signing CJ Miles was a mistake as it eventually cost us Brewer. I'm not absolutely sure if that's the case or not and I'm not the one paying the bills, but I'd tend to agree. I wish we'd of kept him if for nothing else the added depth/athleticism he gave us and obviously, to keep Deron happy. But I'm playing with hypothetical money- I'm sure that 5 million felt a lot more real to ownership.

*Though Portland's currently kicking our asses.

Hornets were in the same boat financially trying to get under the luxury tax thanks to bad contracts like Mo-Pete's, Peja, and Posey. I guess the only difference is the Jazz are a contender while the Hornets are likely to miss the playoffs.

Was the FO trying to trade Boozer? I read some rumors about the Heat wanting him.

redzero
02-21-2010, 11:22 PM
I was surprised that nobody made a thread about it for days.

milkshakeballa
02-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Hornets were in the same boat financially trying to get under the luxury tax thanks to bad contracts like Mo-Pete's, Peja, and Posey. I guess the only difference is the Jazz are a contender while the Hornets are likely to miss the playoffs.

Was the FO trying to trade Boozer? I read some rumors about the Heat wanting him.

Miami went hard after Boozer...no CLUE why. If they traded Boozer I would have been SHOCKED...they are playing BEASTLY ball right now...

23LeBronJames23
02-22-2010, 02:42 AM
He would look great in Purple & Gold! :wow

He'd be better PG than Mo williams & Look better on Cavs.

Pelicans78
02-22-2010, 02:55 AM
He'd be better PG than Mo williams & Look better on Cavs.

Who wouldn't be a better PG than Mo Williams?