PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Notebook: Spurs' Parker scheduled for MRI

duncan228
02-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Spurs' Parker scheduled for MRI (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_Parker_scheduled_for_MRI.html)
Jeff McDonald

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — With his sore hip not responding well to treatment, Spurs guard Tony Parker was back on the inactive list Sunday. How long he stays there is anyone's guess.

Battling a strained left hip flexor among other ailments, Parker sat out the Spurs' 109-101 overtime loss to Detroit, instead scheduling a future date with an MRI machine.

Parker is set to undergo tests on his hip this afternoon in San Antonio.

After watching Parker go for 28 points in the Spurs' win at Indiana coming out of the All-Star break, coach Gregg Popovich thought his point guard was good to go.

“I thought he was going to be OK after the Indiana game,” Popovich said. “He scored a thousand points. In the Philly game (Friday), you could see he was hurting.”

Parker is officially listed as day-to-day, but Popovich said the team has not ruled out sidelining the point guard for a longer period, if it will help him heal.

“If a guy's not going to play, you hope he's healing and resting,” Popovich said. “If he's not healing and resting, he might as well play.”

Sunday marked the third game Parker missed on the rodeo trip and his fifth in the past 10 games.

McDyess' return: Antonio McDyess was wrong. He missed Detroit after all.

McDyess, the former Piston, said he was overcome during pregame introductions. McDyess did not start in his return to The Palace of Auburn Hills, but the crowd — prompted by arena public address announcer John Mason — gave him a lengthy ovation before the game anyway.

“I gave a lot of good years here,” said McDyess, who played five seasons in Detroit before signing with the Spurs. “To get an ovation like that, it was heartwarming. It caught me by surprise. I didn't think it'd be that way, but it was.”

In his return to Detroit, McDyess gave the Spurs the kind of line the Pistons had come to appreciate over the years — 13 points, eight rebounds and a block.

Hairston recalled: As a result of Parker's appearance on the inactive list, the Spurs recalled second-year swingman Malik Hairston from Austin of the NBA Development League.

Hairston had joined the Spurs in Indianapolis after the All-Star break, as a contingency in case the team dealt a wing player at the trade deadline, then flew cross country to rejoin the Toros in Bakersfield, Calif., on Friday.

By Saturday, Hairston was back on a plane for his hometown of Detroit, taking Parker's place on the active list.

“I should be getting frequent flier miles,” Hairston joked.

Hairston was in uniform but did not play.

fusionjazzman72
02-22-2010, 12:25 AM
spurs schedule mri on pops obsession for small ball

Jace
02-22-2010, 12:49 AM
Sit Duncan now, why have him continue to go through the pounding of day to day life in the NBA when there is 0 chance of a playoff run?

Obstructed_View
02-22-2010, 01:00 AM
McDyess' return: Antonio McDyess was wrong. He missed Detroit after all.

McDyess, the former Piston, said he was overcome during pregame introductions. McDyess did not start in his return to The Palace of Auburn Hills, but the crowd — prompted by arena public address announcer John Mason — gave him a lengthy ovation before the game anyway.

So Pop abandons what he said a few days ago was his long-term starting lineup and then doesn't even start McDyess in Detroit. Double fail.

exstatic
02-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Doctor: Tony, if you play one more game before Halloween, your foot will fall off.
Tony: I don't care. I'm playing for France, on one foot or two.

tp2021
02-22-2010, 01:26 AM
I sense bad news with these MRI results. Hope I'm wrong!

spurs10
02-22-2010, 01:48 AM
I sense bad news with these MRI results. Hope I'm wrong!
I sure don't want TP to be any more hobbled than I think he already is. I also don't want to see him resting up for his summer hijinks at the expense of the Spurs.

siraulo23
02-22-2010, 02:28 AM
“If a guy's not going to play, you hope he's healing and resting,” Popovich said. “If he's not healing and resting, he might as well play.”

a shot at parker?

he was in malibu during the ASG, correct?

Obstructed_View
02-22-2010, 02:35 AM
The MRI was probably ordered by the Spurs so he has no excuse to sit out the last part of the season in preparation for his national team work this summer.

taps
02-22-2010, 05:28 AM
a shot at parker?

he was in malibu during the ASG, correct?

The MRI was probably ordered by the Spurs so he has no excuse to sit out the last part of the season in preparation for his national team work this summer.

I remember Parker flippantly saying "I am young" when an EN reporter asked him if summer ball will affect his ability to play for his employer, completely ignoring the reality of how he finished the playoffs healthwise not to mention the doctor's analysis. Reports of him popping up in nevada and california and whatever red carpet events during the season is fine for lakers, not for spurs.

At least have the decency to rest and be immobile so you can mend as best you can. at least ACT like this team is your #1 priority, if you don't want to be in san antonio i'm sure that can be arranged

I'll echo other's call for pop to play this $@%# 38 mpg and just grind his hips to dust making him play d, that way he'lll have some nice gluteal strains and busted legs to remember san antonio by when he's giving his country his best 2010 basketball this summer. This would leave me regret free as by some independence day miracle i saw someone deron williamsy starting at the 1 come october

ForeignFan
02-22-2010, 06:47 AM
he WILL NOT play with FNT this summer

Brazil
02-22-2010, 07:28 AM
he WILL NOT play with FNT this summer

oh come on, if ST has no threads to discuss about TP playing for FNT the rest of the season will be very very boring.

BTW I definitely think that there are unsolved issues between TP and Pop, it seems that their relationship is deteriorating quick, same with manu.

benefactor
02-22-2010, 08:37 AM
As I said in another thread, a strained hip flexor is no joke. When I strained mine it wasn't really a bad strain at all, but it took forever to heal and any type of twisting I did...even standing still...would feel like someone was jabbing me in the upper leg with knife.

lurker23
02-22-2010, 12:39 PM
I know this doesn't necessarily sound all that much like a "true fan," but personally I'd prefer the diagnosis of "this looks bad, sit out 2-4 weeks" than "the MRI shows nothing wrong, you may just have to play through it." The first gives Tony some serious rest and healing time, while the second provides a much bigger chance of him being hobbled the rest of the season.

portnoy1
02-22-2010, 02:29 PM
oh come on, if ST has no threads to discuss about TP playing for FNT the rest of the season will be very very boring.

BTW I definitely think that there are unsolved issues between TP and Pop, it seems that their relationship is deteriorating quick, same with manu.
Pop and Parker do seem to have some crap going on. I think the whole NT situation still isnt and wont be resolved. Manu on the otherhand is pissed at alot of people, the FO and any player not name Duncan/Hill or Blair for their lack of cajones and corazon during games.

MaNu4Tres
02-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Spurs should have just sat Parker for 4-6 weeks in the beginning of January and let him rest. I said that at the time and I stand by it.

Spurs FO and Parker made a mistake by trying to play through all the bumps and bruises.

portnoy1
02-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Spurs FO and Parker made a mistake by trying to play through all the bumps and bruises.
The Spurs FO has made alot of mistakes this season, whats one more?

Supergirl
02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Ugh. Get well, Parker, we need you. Damn it, and he was the member of the big 3 I was LEAST worried about lasting through the season before the season started.

Mel_13
02-22-2010, 04:18 PM
BTW I definitely think that there are unsolved issues between TP and Pop, it seems that their relationship is deteriorating quick

Playing through an injury all summer probably has something to do with that.

I know this doesn't necessarily sound all that much like a "true fan," but personally I'd prefer the diagnosis of "this looks bad, sit out 2-4 weeks" than "the MRI shows nothing wrong, you may just have to play through it." The first gives Tony some serious rest and healing time, while the second provides a much bigger chance of him being hobbled the rest of the season.

Agreed. At this point, the Spurs only chance for a respectable performance in the playoffs is if Tony is playing at close to his level of last season. If he rests and they make the playoffs, he'll be able to give it his best. If they don't make the playoffs because he misses too much time, it would still be preferable to a first round beating.

Plus if he finishes the season strong, it will increase his trade value.

Pop and Parker do seem to have some crap going on.

When you get around to your next "trade Parker" thread, I'll be supportive of trades to acquire players on rookie contracts, draft picks, and trade exceptions. Still not interested in Euro centers on $50M contracts.

duncan228
02-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Spurs’ Parker listed as day-to-day with hip injury (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txspursparker&prov=st&type=lgns)

Spurs guard Tony Parker has a mild strain of his left hip flexor and is listed as day-to-day.

Team physicians made the diagnosis Monday after an MRI. Parker missed Sunday night’s 109-101 overtime loss at Detroit after scoring just two points on 1-of-9 shooting Friday night at Philadelphia.

The 27-year-old Parker leads the Spurs in assists and is second in scoring.

The Spurs return to play Wednesday night against Oklahoma City, their first home game since Jan. 31.

portnoy1
02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
When you get around to your next "trade Parker" thread, I'll be supportive of trades to acquire players on rookie contracts, draft picks, and trade exceptions. Still not interested in Euro centers on $50M contracts.
You mean Bargnani?

Mel_13
02-22-2010, 04:51 PM
You mean Bargnani?

:lol

Who else? Biedrins? Don't want him either and I'm pretty sure Pau won't be on the market, no matter how badly the Lakers need a PG.

portnoy1
02-22-2010, 05:12 PM
:lol

Who else? Biedrins? Don't want him either and I'm pretty sure Pau won't be on the market, no matter how badly the Lakers need a PG.
Say what you will about Bargs, with proper defensive coaching I feel he could've been an asset. For a 7footer he is very mobile and even in Toronto's horrible defensive system he can still block a shot or 2 a game. Pop is doing everything he can to replace Robert Horry. Pop likes Bonner cause he can shoot the 3, Pop liked Ratliff cause he could block shots and Pop likes Dice cause he can rebound and is more mobile than the other 2 mentioned. Horry could do all those things. Bargnani, once again with proper coaching has the ability to do all those things. If he came to SA willing to be coached, I sometimes wonder if Pop would give up the small ball experiment since he could have Bargs gaurding the quicker PF's and Duncan just sitting down in the paint blocking shots. But oh well, small ball and veterans it is.

Mel_13
02-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Say what you will about Bargs, with proper defensive coaching I feel he could've been an asset. For a 7footer he is very mobile and even in Toronto's horrible defensive system he can still block a shot or 2 a game. Pop is doing everything he can to replace Robert Horry. Pop likes Bonner cause he can shoot the 3, Pop liked Ratliff cause he could block shots and Pop likes Dice cause he can rebound and is more mobile than the other 2 mentioned. Horry could do all those things. Bargnani, once again with proper coaching has the ability to do all those things. If he came to SA willing to be coached, I sometimes wonder if Pop would give up the small ball experiment since he could have Bargs gaurding the quicker PF's and Duncan just sitting down in the paint blocking shots. But oh well, small ball and veterans it is.

Heard it all before. Has nothing to do with my point.

If the Spurs trade Parker, I don't want to see a giant contract coming back unless it is attached to a franchise player. Even if everything you say about Bargs is true, it doesn't make him a franchise player. Trading Parker means getting worse before you get better. I want to see young players on rookie deals, draft picks, and trade exceptions. I don't want to see a huge percentage of the salary cap spent on one player, unless that player is capable of being the best player on a contending team.

portnoy1
02-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Heard it all before. Has nothing to do with my point.

If the Spurs trade Parker, I don't want to see a giant contract coming back unless it is attached to a franchise player. Even if everything you say about Bargs is true, it doesn't make him a franchise player. Trading Parker means getting worse before you get better. I want to see young players on rookie deals, draft picks, and trade exceptions. I don't want to see a huge percentage of the salary cap spent on one player, unless that player is capable of being the best player on a contending team.
The thing with Bargs' contract is that its longterm, not expensive. I believe he makes $7million this year his skills replace Dice ($5mill) Bonner ($3mill) and Ratliff who is gone already. I would not trade Parker straght up for anyone unless its the likes of a CP3. If Parker were to be traded Bargs and another so called solid player (depending on how you understand solid) would be sufficient. You already know the other "solid player" I would pair with Bargs in a trade. Some feel trading TP would mess up our offense. However, I think it would improve in some ways.

Brazil
02-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Pop and Parker do seem to have some crap going on. I think the whole NT situation still isnt and wont be resolved. Manu on the otherhand is pissed at alot of people, the FO and any player not name Duncan/Hill or Blair for their lack of cajones and corazon during games.

Mason is also pissed same with Tim. Obviously the communication between the FO and the group doesn't work and more worrisome the communication between the players isn't good. Everybody is responsible but I'd put Pop in the first line.

Mel_13
02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
The thing with Bargs' contract is that its longterm, not expensive. I believe he makes $7million this year his skills replace Dice ($5mill) Bonner ($3mill) and Ratliff who is gone already. I would not trade Parker straght up for anyone unless its the likes of a CP3. If Parker were to be traded Bargs and another so called solid player (depending on how you understand solid) would be sufficient. You already know the other "solid player" I would pair with Bargs in a trade. Some feel trading TP would mess up our offense. However, I think it would improve in some ways.

We don't look at things the same way. Even if you are absolutely right and your trade makes the Spurs better right now, it doesn't make them into contenders. It could condemn them to several years of barely qualifying for the playoffs, which is the worst possible scenario.

To me, trading Tony wouldn't be about making the team better right away, but about starting the transition to the post-Duncan era two years early.

portnoy1
02-23-2010, 09:00 AM
We don't look at things the same way. Even if you are absolutely right and your trade makes the Spurs better right now, it doesn't make them into contenders. It could condemn them to several years of barely qualifying for the playoffs, which is the worst possible scenario.

To me, trading Tony wouldn't be about making the team better right away, but about starting the transition to the post-Duncan era two years early.
Completely agree, To be a contender the team defense has to be better. PERIOD.