PDA

View Full Version : Is this series over?

HB22inSA
05-01-2005, 01:11 AM
....?

leemajors
05-01-2005, 01:12 AM
4 victories are needed to win a series.

gregpschneid
05-01-2005, 01:13 AM
Don't be crazy man!! Great win though

Obstructed_View
05-01-2005, 01:14 AM
I think so. I can't imagine the Nuggets being able to deal with the fact that the officiating didn't cost them the game. Denver talk radio and news media are going to be talking about nothing else, and they are going to come in waiting for the officials to take the series away from them. I thought Kenyon Martin took the high road, but I didn't see him whining about calls during the game, either. He needs to be a leader and earn his money by shutting everybody (in his own organization) up and getting them ready to play.

Jdspur20
05-01-2005, 01:14 AM
far from over, but good win tonight.

baseline bum
05-01-2005, 01:18 AM
At 2-1? Fuck no. Game 4 is going to be insane. You can bet Denver is mad as hell losing this game after such a hot start. Now that the Spurs are starting to get healthy again I like their chances to go up 3-1, but I still expect to see Denver's best game of the series next.

leemajors
05-01-2005, 01:20 AM
nice liks sig bum

TroyF
05-01-2005, 01:27 AM
I think so. I can't imagine the Nuggets being able to deal with the fact that the officiating didn't cost them the game. Denver talk radio and news media are going to be talking about nothing else, and they are going to come in waiting for the officials to take the series away from them. I thought Kenyon Martin took the high road, but I didn't see him whining about calls during the game, either. He needs to be a leader and earn his money by shutting everybody (in his own organization) up and getting them ready to play.

I hate bashing the refs. I really do. We took 30 FT and we missed 13. That cost us the game in itself.

But when I go to a sporting event, I expect both teams to get a fair shake. I'm smart enough to know everyone on this board will act as if the game was reffed fairly. That's fine and I'll deal with the loss. I didn't expect the Nuggets to win this series anyway.

Having said that, the second half was the worst officiated game I've ever personally been to. There were things I'm sure you couldn't see on the television. Pushes in the back on nearly every rebound. Horry throwing a forearm into Dre when he made the steal that clinched the game. Melo just getting mugged repeatedly without a call, while Manu was flopping all over the floor getting calls he shouldn't have had any business getting. Or KMart getting a T for taunting and then watching Robert Horry running down the court talking trash to Dre the entire way without a call.

Honestly, I lost count. The second half was a joke and I don't care if you choose to label me a crybaby or not. It's irrelevant, because I saw the game with my own eyes and am stunned at how horrific it was.

I'm not sure fair reffing would have changed the outcome of the game. No clue. The Spurs are a great team and they've "earned" some leeway with the refs. But I'm damned well offended I didn't get a chance to see what would have happened if the game would have been called evenly.

I hope you guys win the championship. I'll be cheering for you all the way after this series is over. Outside of the Nuggets, the Spurs are my favorite team. I'm not happy I wasted my time going to the game and seeing the sham I did tonight though. The NBA should be ashamed of itself. And Manu is slowly slipping from one of my favorite players. That was one hell of a flop on the Buckner supposed elbow. I got up ready to scream at Buckner, knowing it was going to be a flagrant 2 and an ejection. Then I saw the play.

What an F'n joke.

Yes, the series is over. And you won because you were the better team, not because of the refs. But I'm not going to call them a non factor tonight either. It was a joke.

Solid D
05-01-2005, 01:33 AM
The Nuggets did get some bad calls, or questionable calls favoring the Spurs. There were bad calls on both ends though. The 3rd Duncan foul was just good acting by Martin, and smart too.

We've seen worse, Troy. In '03 playoffs against Dallas, the Mavs got plenty of calls and went something like 50-50 or 50-51 on FTs in that game. Needless to say, the Spurs lost.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2005, 01:37 AM
I hate bashing the refs. I really do. We took 30 FT and we missed 13. That cost us the game in itself.

But when I go to a sporting event, I expect both teams to get a fair shake. I'm smart enough to know everyone on this board will act as if the game was reffed fairly. That's fine and I'll deal with the loss. I didn't expect the Nuggets to win this series anyway.

Having said that, the second half was the worst officiated game I've ever personally been to. There were things I'm sure you couldn't see on the television. Pushes in the back on nearly every rebound. Horry throwing a forearm into Dre when he made the steal that clinched the game. Melo just getting mugged repeatedly without a call, while Manu was flopping all over the floor getting calls he shouldn't have had any business getting. Or KMart getting a T for taunting and then watching Robert Horry running down the court talking trash to Dre the entire way without a call.

Honestly, I lost count. The second half was a joke and I don't care if you choose to label me a crybaby or not. It's irrelevant, because I saw the game with my own eyes and am stunned at how horrific it was.

I'm not sure fair reffing would have changed the outcome of the game. No clue. The Spurs are a great team and they've "earned" some leeway with the refs. But I'm damned well offended I didn't get a chance to see what would have happened if the game would have been called evenly.

I hope you guys win the championship. I'll be cheering for you all the way after this series is over. Outside of the Nuggets, the Spurs are my favorite team. I'm not happy I wasted my time going to the game and seeing the sham I did tonight though. The NBA should be ashamed of itself. And Manu is slowly slipping from one of my favorite players. That was one hell of a flop on the Buckner supposed elbow. I got up ready to scream at Buckner, knowing it was going to be a flagrant 2 and an ejection. Then I saw the play.

What an F'n joke.

Yes, the series is over. And you won because you were the better team, not because of the refs. But I'm not going to call them a non factor tonight either. It was a joke.

It was a poorly officiated game, but it was equally bad to both sides. The only difference is the fact that the Nuggets players, coaches and fans, whined and cried about it while the Spurs kept playing and didn't worry about it. That was the difference in the game, and will probably be the difference in the series.

ALVAREZ6
05-01-2005, 01:38 AM
4 victories are needed to win a series.
That's the best response right there.

The series is alive until a team wins 4 games.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2005, 01:41 AM
That's the best response right there.

The series is alive until a team wins 4 games.
Yep, just ask the Spurs if they felt more in control after two games against the Lakers last year than they do this year. The Nuggets have to get their heads right first, though, or they are doomed.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-01-2005, 01:42 AM
The second half of officiating was pretty terrible, but everyone speaks from a bias for their team. Hell I thought that there were a ton of no calls for the Spurs, but again, that's just me talking. I personally hate to see games deteriorate into slugfests and the refs don't stop it. The reality of things was though that if they had called everything this would have turned into that Spurs-Mavs game from a few years back with 100 free throws in it. It was a tough game and a few calls could have swayed things, but that's going to always be the case in a good series. Can't wait for game four!

TroyF
05-01-2005, 01:44 AM
The Nuggets did get some bad calls, or questionable calls favoring the Spurs. There were bad calls on both ends though. The 3rd Duncan foul was just good acting by Martin, and smart too.

We've seen worse, Troy. In '03 playoffs against Dallas, the Mavs got plenty of calls and went something like 50-50 or 50-51 on FTs in that game. Needless to say, the Spurs lost.

No Solid D, the Nuggets didn't get a call. Period.

I know there has been just as bad. The Lakers/TWolves game or the Lakers/Kings games of a couple of years ago.

If it was 4 or 5 calls, I don't say a thing. It wasn't four or five calls though. It was close to 20 calls I can think of off the top of my head.

It's almost as if they took that third Duncan foul and to apologize for giving it, decided the Spurs should get every close call the rest of the night.

And Obstructed View, it wasn't reffed poorly on both sides. Really, it wasn't. The first half was an evenly officiated half. The Nuggets even got a few breaks that half. The second half wasn't even at all. It was as one sided as it gets in an NBA game and that's why the team and the fans are upset.

Just so you guys know, I was NOT one of the idiots chanting BS. There are kids in the stadium and they don't need to deal with that garbage. By the midway point of the fourth quarter I couldn't speak anyway. I was so disgusted with what I was seeing I just sat in silence and listened to everyone else boo.

The charging call on Dre with a couple of minutes left and the Nuggets down by 2 is the worst call I've ever seen live. And there really isn't a close second.

GoSpurs21
05-01-2005, 01:44 AM
not until Spurs break nugs back in game 4 on monday night

slayermin
05-01-2005, 01:45 AM
TD goes 5-19 with 11 points and the Spurs win by 8?

TD is not Yao Ming. He's gonna destroy Denver in game four.

samikeyp
05-01-2005, 01:45 AM
Not yet. Props to you Troy for representing your team well here. It was only the 2nd home loss under Karl...they are good at home for a reason. Unfortunately, the Spurs have had a tendency to relax in these situations. They need to come out aggressive in Game 4.

Good to see you around Felix....great job on the Round Table.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2005, 05:35 AM
And Obstructed View, it wasn't reffed poorly on both sides. Really, it wasn't. The first half was an evenly officiated half. The Nuggets even got a few breaks that half. The second half wasn't even at all. It was as one sided as it gets in an NBA game and that's why the team and the fans are upset.

See, that's the problem. If it was one sided, it was in favor of the Nuggets. What you witnessed was a mass delusion reinforced by the fact that the fans and the players literally expected every single call to go their way and got more and more angry each time one didn't, even though a large number of calls actually went their way.

I recorded the game, and just to be fair to you, I just went back through the ENTIRE second half, play by play, watching the whistles and what I perceived to be non-calls before posting up a reply. While I admit my bias, I was extraordinarily forgiving to the Nuggets to make up for it, and the Nuggets got more calls than the Spurs did. This is reinforced by the fact that the Nuggets got six more free throws than the Spurs did. My final tally has the Nuggets up by three favorable calls for the second half. I'll be happy to post it up.

Another problem is your coach. The things that he complained about just didn't happen. I watched the whole second half waiting for anyone to undercut Carmello. There was not a single occurrance. He also said that Ginobili was drawing all these cheap fouls and flopping. Ginobili drew 7 fouls in the second half: 4 going to the hoop, one of them flagrant. 1 drawn on a rebound where Martin ran into him, 1 drawn on a hand check by Johnson outside the three point line, and 1 in the last ten seconds of the game.

The fact is, if you watch the second half, that the Nuggets players and fans booed and whined about every whistle, even the obvious calls against them. If you expect every call to go your way you will be angry by the end of the game, but you won't even be close to right, and you won't have any credibility when you complain.

The charging call on Dre with a couple of minutes left and the Nuggets down by 2 is the worst call I've ever seen live. And there really isn't a close second. I'd say the non call on the elbow by Buckner, which is, by rule, an automatic technical foul, comes pretty close. Seriously. Yao got two worse charging calls today. Udrih had position, but he didn't have his feet set. Miller was out of control and threw a forearm into Udrih's chest so he didn't have to flop. That call could have gone either way and probably didn't affect the outcome of the game. I don't expect you to agree because I expect you to search for something to blame for the fact that your team got beat OTHER than your team just getting beat.

Binji
05-01-2005, 06:07 AM
It's far from over though Spurs have picked a nice momentum by now

Dingle Barry
05-01-2005, 06:12 AM
Obstructed View,

I just discovered this site today and your last post prompted me to join to issue props. Well done post.

Some of you guys need to journey over to http://nuggets.proboards1.com, where the crying and menstruation is in full force. Let's add some injury to insult. I'd love to post your last post there, OV.

mookie2001
05-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Not yet, being a best of seven series, the victor must win 4 games before the loser. The Spurs, having only 2 wins, will need to win twice more to advance to the next round.

johnny00
05-01-2005, 10:04 AM
It's never over till it's over and then it's over.
-Casey Stengall-

or was that Yogi??????

cherylsteele
05-01-2005, 10:08 AM

Hey we took 28 FT's and missed ten......it could ahve just as easily been a blowout by 12+ points.

You want to talk about reffing in the game?
Some of thos misses by Timmy...were because he got hit on the arm...at least 3 times.....there were several time Manu went down the lane and got his lunch money taken and no foul.

The Nuggets let the "bad" officiating get to them...the Spurs played through it...the Nuggets didn't.

The Nuggets had a great start and stopped being aggresive......hench no calls.

exstatic
05-01-2005, 10:23 AM
The first half was an evenly officiated half.

You wouldn't have thought so if YOUR star player had been shackled to the bench for all but 5 minutes. Horrible homer take there.

The Nuggets let the "bad" officiating get to them...the Spurs played through it...the Nuggets didn't.

That's it, in a nutshell. Karl is doing them no favors by "enabling" their beefs with the officials. What lost Denver this game was their sorry ass bench. SA outscored them 53-14.

johnny00
05-01-2005, 10:27 AM
What lost Denver this game was their sorry ass bench. SA outscored them 53-14.
Read that as Manu Ginobilli.

exstatic
05-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah, but the rest STILL outscored the Nuggs bench 21-14, including some incredibly clutch treys by BigShot Rob in the fourth. The Nuggs bench is weak, and the Spurs can go to theirs for days.

picnroll
05-01-2005, 10:40 AM
It's over.

smeagol
05-01-2005, 10:51 AM

What an F'n joke.

TwoHandJam:

See what I mean when i say crying about the refs is weak?

Anybody can blame a poor performance by their team on the refs. You were bitching about the refs in the game blog. Denver fans would proly think you are crazy bashing the refs because they were the ones who were not getting the calls. And vice versa, we feel this guy is nuts complaining about refs when the FT differential was in their favor.

In any case, I stand by my point. Crying about refs sounds lame and weak. Read this post, read half the posts at LG.net, and read some of the posts when people cry in this baord.

If you don't like how games are called, go watch another sport. Refs will always meake mistakes.

Crying about officiating = Lame and weak.

CosmicCowboy
05-01-2005, 11:03 AM
It's not Over but Denver has got to be worried...Duncan uncharacteristically misses 14 shots and the Spurs still get scoreboard...and Duncan usually follows a bad offensive game with a dominating performance...I predicted before the game that Carmelo and KMart would lose it last night out of frustration and they didn't disappoint me...they know they are going down...

Obstructed_View
05-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Obstructed View,

I just discovered this site today and your last post prompted me to join to issue props. Well done post.

Some of you guys need to journey over to http://nuggets.proboards1.com, where the crying and menstruation is in full force. Let's add some injury to insult. I'd love to post your last post there, OV.
Thanks for the compliment, but I come to the Spurs board because I like to talk about the Spurs. I don't care about rubbing it in when the Spurs win, and I'm not sure why fans of other teams derive so much pleasure saying stupid things on this board, or indeed, why they hang out at all. The ignorant Nuggets fans booing on every call are the reason George Karl thinks the game was badly officiated and they are the reason Carmello Anthony thinks he was justified in committing a dirty foul on a guy whose only crime was that he played aggressively. These are people that hate people from Texas and throw coins at opposing teams. What's the point of pissing them off even more? They think they got jobbed by the officials, when the calls were overwhelmingly in their favor.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-01-2005, 03:21 PM

Yes Troy, listen to Solid D. Games like this are crap. Also, see any Lakers playoff game against the spurs in LA in 2003, and against Sacramento in LA in 2002. THAT is crap my friend. You as a Denver Nuggets fan have no idea what crap in a playoff series is about in recent years.

You are complaining because as one poster said, you got up in the hype of the game and seriously expected every call to go your way. Its not your fault, thats natural. I'm sure most of us do that when we're at Spurs games.

But, the fact remains, manu did not do what karl said, Manu did not flop when that elbow came flying by his face, he just lost his footing, (besides no foul was called on that instance anyway),

and most importantly you should be more angry at your TEAM for not stepping it up in this perceived ref bias, because regardless of whether you are right or not, this happens.

Accept it. Its part of winning a playoff series, it's part of winning a championship. We overcame all this crap in 2003. We were champs in 2003. You're not going to win shit if your team focuses on being babies like this.

MeAndBobThrowChairs
05-01-2005, 03:37 PM
I am guessing gam four will be somewhat like last night, and game five we weill blow them to oblivion.