PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson Below Expectations, But Trying To Spark San Antonio

duncan228
02-22-2010, 02:37 AM
Jefferson Below Expectations, But Trying To Spark San Antonio (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017887479)
John Raffel

He may not be living up to lofty preseason expectations for the San Antonio Spurs.

But Richard Jefferson, the eight-year 6-foot-7 forward from Arizona, is still confident of leading the Spurs to title contention this season.

Jefferson entered Sunday's game with the Spurs against the Pistons at The Palace of Auburn Hills averaging 12.1 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.1 assists a game while hitting 231-of-517 from the floor for 44.7 percent.

Sunday's appearance marked his 50th start of the season. He struggled, however, scoring only eight points with three rebounds as San Antonio fell to 31-23.

"I'm in a new system and unlike any I've ever been in," he said. "I'm pretty confident in the group I'm playing with, my teammates. The more time I play in this system, the more comfortable I'll become."

Jefferson didn't miss a game until Jan. 18 when he had low back spasms. His season-high 29 points, seven rebounds and four assists vs. Dallas came all the way back on Nov. 11, and two days before that he managed 24 points and eight rebounds plus seven assists against Toronto.

"It's a completely different role and a completely different situation," Jefferson said. "Offensively and defensively, I'm learning new schemes. Different things are expected of me. I played more forward this year than I have in most of my career."

During the offseason, the Milwaukee Bucks traded Jefferson to the Spurs for Bruce Bowen and Kurt Thomas.

"We have a chance to finish this road trip on a positive note and finish the rest of the season and establish ourselves for the playoffs," Jefferson said prior to Sunday's game against the Pistons. "One of the key components of this team is the amount of time they've had together. So when you're adding new guys you have to remember it takes those new guys some time to get the systems down."

Jefferson played for Team USA in the 2004 Olympics at Athens, Greece. In his NBA career, he's averaged 17.7 points, 5.3 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 571 games.

While he's hoping the Spurs can go after another world championship, Jefferson realizes the NBA is loaded with title contenders right now.

"The NBA is right where you expect it to be," he said. "You have a team like Cleveland that was a great team last year and has gotten better. The Lakers have gotten better. And you have teams like Denver and ourselves trying to get to that elite level. It's going to be an interesting last 30 games and an interesting playoffs."

Jefferson especially wants to focus on his rebounding for the rest of the season.

"Rebounding and defense, and I also want to be more efficient on the offensive end, just things you try to do every single night," he said. "It's tough to be as aggressive as you'd like to be in different areas."

Sean Cagney
02-22-2010, 02:45 AM
He said interesting playoffs? HAHAHA Well it will be an interesting playoffs alright! He will be right where I am on the chair drinking beer and dreaming of a title or chicks (Well him maybe about dudes but). Playoffs? US? Is he serious? We are an 8th seed at best the way we are playing, not great but okay at best.

phyzik
02-22-2010, 02:48 AM
This season is pretty much done.... 1st round and out, but I still believe it takes a player a full season to get used to the Spurs system. HOPEFULLY that holds true for RJ.

#2!
02-22-2010, 02:58 AM
What I gathered from this article:

Watching Richards rebounding efforts should be a primary measuring stick for him from now on. After watching the game today I'm afraid by "more efficient on the offensive end" he might just take less shots during games.

That is not the answer to his problems this season. But even RJ seems to know that playing the 4 is not the answer either.

FeZZy
02-22-2010, 03:10 AM
what if we some how got to the finals and he averages 40 points against the cavs on his way to the Bill Russell MVP award..oh nevermind

mystargtr34
02-22-2010, 03:15 AM
Lol RJ. 6'7" 230 Forward with a 40 inch vertical averaging 3.7 rebounds per game, while playing minutes at PF.

Instead of talking about it and just saying what everyone wants to hear, go out there and do it.

Chieflion
02-22-2010, 03:17 AM
Lol RJ. 6'7" 230 Forward with a 40 inch vertical averaging 3.7 rebounds per game, while playing minutes at PF.

Instead of talking about it and just saying what everyone wants to hear, go out there and do it.
You still think he has a 40 inch vertical?

jaffies
02-22-2010, 03:18 AM
http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5002/playoffsz.png

ulosturedge
02-22-2010, 03:28 AM
I got the feeling last night that Pop was handing out the kool-aid to this team. Going with the "Who cares what seed we are as long as we are playing well going into the playoffs" philosophy. This team with it's current personnel has no chance of winning a Championship. Give it up Pop and start grooming some of your young players. Aka Hairston and maybe find out if in fact Mahinmi can or can't play at the NBA level.

And someone tell RJ he is going to remain useless if he continues to play like a pussy and camp the 3 point line all night.

Mr Bones
02-22-2010, 03:37 AM
"It's a completely different role and a completely different situation," Jefferson said. "Offensively and defensively, I'm learning new schemes. Different things are expected of me. I played more forward this year than I have in most of my career."

If ever there was a time to start Blair, it would have been tonight against Ben Wallace-- Blair is strong enough to box him out for rebounds, and Wallace isn't much of a threat offensively so it'd be a low risk assignment for Blair on the defensive end. It's obvious Jefferson does not want to play PF and is only doing so because he is being asked to. I'm mystified...

siraulo23
02-22-2010, 03:41 AM
How about this for a starting lineup

Tony parker
George Hill
Michael Finley
Tim Duncan
Antonio Mcdyess

I know, i know, Finley sucks at defense, but at least he is rarely out of position, plus he can shoot better than bogans

TP (if somehow he gets healthy) Duncan and Hill IMO provides enough offense for the starting lineup and Finley and Dice can shoot

Bench: RJ, Manu and Blair
We saw glimpses of good things earlier in the season when RJ was playing with Manu
Stick with this lineup for a few games, hope RJ adjusts and play great

And of course, Pop, Do NOT play RJ at the 4

mystargtr34
02-22-2010, 03:46 AM
You still think he has a 40 inch vertical?

Exaggerating, obviously. My point is he is still extremely athletic. Ill try to be clearer next time.

Chieflion
02-22-2010, 03:47 AM
Exaggerating, obviously. My point is he is still extremely athletic. Ill try to be clearer next time.
He is extremely athletic compared to Michael Finley and the relic of the other old Spurs.

mystargtr34
02-22-2010, 03:49 AM
He is extremely athletic compared to Michael Finley and the relic of the other old Spurs.

Not in the mood for semantics.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Spurs get the 8th seed and end up beating the Lakers in 7. It will be a sweet surprise and it will be awesome to see the Lakers knocked out in the 1st rd :toast

02-22-2010, 03:51 AM
http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5002/playoffsz.png
:lmao

Chieflion
02-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Not in the mood for semantics.
He does not stand out in the NBA as an athletic player anymore. It is quite delusional if you think otherwise.

hsxvvd
02-22-2010, 03:54 AM
Fuck Jefferson. It's time we put the dog in the dog house and quit waiting to be saved.

mystargtr34
02-22-2010, 03:55 AM
He does not stand out in the NBA as an athletic player anymore. It is quite delusional if you think otherwise.

Disagree. I think he is still an exceptional athlete. Not what he once was, but still exceptional.

Chieflion
02-22-2010, 03:58 AM
Disagree. I think he is still an exceptional athlete. Not what he once was, but still exceptional.
So what else can he do except jump high?

mystargtr34
02-22-2010, 04:05 AM
So what else can he do except jump high?

Sorry i should have stated he is an exceptional leaper, which is what i am talking about when i mention someones verttical leap. Sorry for using the word athlete too loosely.

He isnt exceptional when it comes to lateral quickness, if thats what your trying to get at.

mystargtr34
02-22-2010, 04:08 AM
Do you agree with my statement that RJ should be getting more rebounds, because of his size and 'vertical leap'?

Chieflion
02-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Do you agree with my statement that RJ should be getting more rebounds, because of his size and 'vertical leap'?
Disagree if he is playing small ball 4. He doesn't have the strength and quickness to snatch the ball and box out against the stronger and tougher 4s in the league. He probably doesn't even have the height. When he is playing the 3, he has to run out up front to finish the break, which is what I hope he was brought here to do. As long the total rebounds of the Spurs are above the opponent's, I could care less if Richard finishes with 0 or 10 rebounds. RJ has also never been an exceptional rebounder since the 2006-2007 season after the injury screwed him up.

wijayas
02-22-2010, 04:31 AM
This season is pretty much done.... 1st round and out, but I still believe it takes a player a full season to get used to the Spurs system. HOPEFULLY that holds true for RJ.

You are much more optimistic than me. If we continue to be a 0.5 team for the remaining 30 games (and it sure looks like it!!!), we won't be in the playoff picture!

ffadicted
02-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Pop has as much to do with RJ's fail as he does. RJ is used to being in the role of shooting guard, not a power forward which he has been playing this year like he was 6'10, 260 lbs.

RJ's confidence has been in a downward spiral all year long

SenorSpur
02-22-2010, 09:27 AM
He said interesting playoffs? HAHAHA Well it will be an interesting playoffs alright! He will be right where I am on the chair drinking beer and dreaming of a title or chicks (Well him maybe about dudes but). Playoffs? US? Is he serious? We are an 8th seed at best the way we are playing, not great but okay at best.

:lol
That's cold, man.

SenorSpur
02-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Pop has as much to do with RJ's fail as he does. RJ is used to being in the role of shooting guard, not a power forward which he has been playing this year like he was 6'10, 260 lbs.

RJ's confidence has been in a downward spiral all year long

Leave it to Pop to force-feed guys into new positions, where they struggle to succeed. And being stubborn enough to leave them there, despite how their poor play affects the rest of the team.

I submit to you the failed Roger Mason, Jr backup PG experiment of last season. No matter how badly it sucked and how those new responsibilities affected his overall play, Pop continued roll with it - to the detriment of the team.

Or how about last year, and Michael Finley doing his impersonation of Bruce Bowen - defensive stopper? Late last season, Pop decided to move Finley ahead of Bowen, in the rotation, and routinely assigned him to the opposition's best scorer. How'd that turn out? Eventually, Pop was forced to dust Bowen off again in the playoffs and he turned in some very productive minutes versus the Mavs, in a first round series loss.

Or we can go back as far as 2006 and the failed Nick Van Exel backup PG experiment versus the Mavs in the WCSF? It was obvious to everyone, except Pop, that NVE was woefully ineffective and clearly done. Of course, that didn't stop Pop from stubbornly rolling him out there anyway.

Big P
02-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Jefferson? Lead us to title contention? He cant find his way to the basket, how is he gonna lead us to a title?

easy7
02-22-2010, 09:51 AM
It seems to me that Jefferson spends half of his time on the court on the offensive end hiding as to not get the ball thrown to him, that is probaly why his scoring average is low this season.

elbamba
02-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Jefferson is not a 4 and should have never been used as one. The rest of the league is going big while the Spurs are going small. Small lineups never win.

ohmwrecker
02-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm not saying that Jefferson has not been a disappointment, but the expectations for him were set way to high. It seems that Spurs fans expected this guy to be Bowen and Horry rolled into one player. Not very realistic and completely unfair to be disappointed when he has failed to live up to those ridiculous standards.
While Jefferson has struggled mightily this year, looked bewildered and confused at times and has failed to put in a consistantperfomance over a string of games he is a huge offensive improvement over Bowen and it is absurd to expect him to be equal to Bowen on defense (which is why Bogans was brought in). Essentially, the Spurs brought in two players to replace one. Of the two, Bogans is clearly the bigger disappointment.
Now we are waiting for three (Bogans, Jefferson and McDyess) to makeup for the production of two (Bowen and Horry) and Pop to give these guys an honest opportunity to accomplish that.
I say, for the rest of the year, we start Tony, Manu, RJ, Dice & Tim with a healthy dose of Hill and Blair off the bench. Give Ian & Malik a fair shot and live or die with the results.
Of the 18 different line-ups that Pop has tried this year, it is troublesome that the one that makes the most sense has not been employed. Bogans, Bonner, Finley and RMJ have not performed well enough to automatically earn minutes. Ian and Malik deserve a shot.

LOL@MavsFan
02-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Spurs get the 8th seed and end up beating the Lakers in 7. It will be a sweet surprise and it will be awesome to see the Lakers knocked out in the 1st rd :toast

:lol:lol Yeah that will happen:lol:lol

hater
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
When you are often the worst player on the floor and are hurting your team, that's when you need to STFU

xtremesteven33
02-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I think its a matter of time till Ginobili gets back in the starting lineup...

Obstructed_View
02-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I think its a matter of time till Ginobili gets back in the starting lineup...

If only time were something the Spurs have. I forgot to ask why the fuck Manu isn't starting in the mailbox.