PDA

View Full Version : Who, if anyone, do we pick up off waivers?

RiverwalkParade
02-22-2010, 01:31 PM
At this point it's obvious that there are pieces missing. Will anyone be available off waivers that can contribute? Can we afford to gamble on another player that doesn't know the system this late in the year or will new blood bring new energy to a team that looks uninspired and frustrated?

Big P
02-22-2010, 01:36 PM
pieces for what? we are not going anywhere anytime soon

easy7
02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Pop has Bonner and Finley riding the bench, why woule he need anyone else? He said this is the team we are riding to the ship and will not add anyone else.. If you ask me this is the ship he is going to sink.

mountainballer
02-22-2010, 02:52 PM
with a good chance that the Spurs might miss the PO and the look of a 1st round out at best, the chance to get one of the better buy out players are pretty slim. the better will join Cavs, Lakers, Celtics, Nuggets.
best option might be Raja Bell, who looks for a buy out. but as said, why should he choose the Spurs?
Larry Hughes might be a similar case.
btw. does anyone know about the health status of Etan Thomas? he could be a buy out candidate.

galvatron3000
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Time to rebuild, youth is the way of the future. Perhaps we can get a 2011 lockout win and start the odd numbers again in 2015, 2017, and 2019

blkroadrunners
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
btw. does anyone know about the health status of Etan Thomas? he could be a buy out candidate.

I haven't heard anything about Thomas, but I did hear the Thunder were looking at waiving Matt Harpring.

murpjf88
02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Nobody. Don't you know Pop doesn't swing that way. The Spurs will work with what they got. No money in the bank to splurge.

mudyez
02-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Z

venitian navigator
02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
h + z

AFBlue
02-22-2010, 05:56 PM
No one worth the min salary, let alone min salary plus lux tax hit, is going to put the Spurs significantly closer to the top.

SpurCharger
02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Either Big Z if he dont resign with Cleveland.... Or I like Von Wafer.... But It looks like Dallas is Gonna Sign Wafer.... So, Nobody!

HarlemHeat37
02-22-2010, 05:59 PM
with a good chance that the Spurs might miss the PO and the look of a 1st round out at best, the chance to get one of the better buy out players are pretty slim. the better will join Cavs, Lakers, Celtics, Nuggets.
best option might be Raja Bell, who looks for a buy out. but as said, why should he choose the Spurs?
Larry Hughes might be a similar case.

His health is fine, but he won't be getting any minutes due to Ibaka's emergence..there was an article yesterday saying they aren't sure of what they're going to do with him because he's complaining about his PT, but they like his "veteran presence" for the young guys..

exstatic
02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Just as in the OTHER WAIVERS THREADS, no one. If they wanted to pay a 14th salary, they'd have kept Theo. A salary dump usually signals the end of any and all transactions for that season.

SenorSpur
02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
If the Spurs failed to upgrade the roster via trade, they're certainly not going to pick up anyone off waivers. Even if they did, Pop would never play the acquired player anyway.

jermaine
02-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Pops Mensah

He jumps to high for Pop. He might block a shot too so you kbow he's outta the question.

Thompson
02-22-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't think they traded away Ratliff to help reduce the luxury tax only to pick someone up off of waivers. This is it this year.

Ocotillo
02-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Ugh, it's come to this, Spurs fans are hoping to pick up someone else's cast-off.

murpjf88
02-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Ugh, it's come to this, Spurs fans are hoping to pick up someone else's cast-off.

Some team's garbage is another team's treasure.

The ADMIRAL 50
02-22-2010, 10:09 PM
wow we really are done huh?

fusionjazzman72
02-22-2010, 10:12 PM
At this point it's obvious that there are pieces missing. Will anyone be available off waivers that can contribute? Can we afford to gamble on another player that doesn't know the system this late in the year or will new blood bring new energy to a team that looks uninspired and frustrated?

Is Jon Sunvold available?

BatManu
02-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Rashad McCants? Couldn't be any worse than Bogans...

elec99
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I think they're gonna sink with this ship, as someone else said. To them, and probably many here, there isn't a difference between a 1st round exit or a 3rd round exit so unless you can find a way of winning it all then there's no point.

But since Pop has gone crazy, if he were to sign anyone it could be Minut Bol, Hakeem, Sabonis, or Sam Bowie. You have to be collecting social security to make it on his radar.

spurtech09
02-23-2010, 01:01 PM
pop is just draining the life out of this team.....spurs still have a chance to be better if he gave Ian some min...maybe hairston....but for some reason he rather give up and lose :(pop has lost his touch

sananspursfan21
02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
sean williams anyone? (just waived by nets)

gospursgojas
02-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Larry hughes waived by kings...

Hughes anyone?

iManu
02-23-2010, 07:02 PM
I'd take Hughes.

ohmwrecker
02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Larry hughes waived by kings...

Hughes anyone?

Jeez, I haven't seen him play too much this year? Does he have anything left? He used to be good. I, honestly, can't tell what sounds like a good idea right now.
I could see him going back to Philly if Iverson retires.

montgod
02-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Jeez, I haven't seen him play too much this year? Does he have anything left? He used to be good. I, honestly, can't tell what sounds like a good idea right now.
I could see him going back to Philly if Iverson retires.

I haven't seen him play per say, but did follow him a little bit earlier this year for my fantasy basketball team. He wasn't half bad when he got playing time for the Knicks. Very good distributor, nice steals, and decent shooting. He would definitely be an upgrade over Bogans.

However, I don't see the Spurs signing anyone w/them saving cap funds by dumping Theo. WHo knows though what the Spurs will do this year besides continue to lose.

ohmwrecker
02-23-2010, 07:38 PM
If only Michael Finley would just leave.

Russ
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Just as in the OTHER WAIVERS THREADS, no one. If they wanted to pay a 14th salary, they'd have kept Theo. A salary dump usually signals the end of any and all transactions for that season.

On the other hand, maybe they wanted to free up a roster spot. :hat

dbestpro
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Sign Hughes, waive Bogans.

exstatic
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
On the other hand, maybe they wanted to free up a roster spot. :hat

They freed one up when they bought out Haislip. Any reason to free another one, now that the trade deadline is past? None that I can think of.

Russ
02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
They freed one up when they bought out Haislip. Any reason to free another one, now that the trade deadline is past? None that I can think of.

Hard to argue with that . . .

ace3g
02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Sign Hughes, waive Bogans.

I would do that in no time, he was actually putting up good numbers at the beginning of the season against good teams when he was starting

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3251/gamelog;_ylt=AhGqEpjPERbcOGxtGcYswGc7PKB4

he also can get a good number of assists and rebounds. Plus he always gets a couple of steals a game

of course he is listed as having a sprained left big toe, but he brings more offense then Bogans and probably a better perimeter defender

dbestpro
02-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Looks like Ilgauskas is going back to Cavs. League will not block move according to CBSSports.

ace3g
02-23-2010, 09:20 PM
over the rest of the week and weekend we will see what players are available since for a player to be eligible for the playoffs as long as he wasn't on another team's roster on March 1st or later.

blkroadrunners
02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm not too fond of Hughes. He has to take A LOT of shots in order to be effective, and that won't flow well under this Spurs offense. He's also an overrated defender, and relies more on the passing lanes than man-to-man D.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Harpring retired.

blkroadrunners
02-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Harpring retired.

Damn, I heard mixed rumors, but I guess it was official. Nevermind...:bang

LongtimeSpursFan
02-24-2010, 12:14 AM
pop is just draining the life out of this team.....spurs still have a chance to be better if he gave Ian some min...maybe hairston....but for some reason he rather give up and lose :(pop has lost his touch

Spurs fans know absolutely nothing about basketball. Ian and Hairston as our saviors? Hilarious.

ace3g
02-24-2010, 12:45 AM
at least with Hughes you get more offense on the court over Bogans, so it would be 4/5 instead of 3/5.

lineups of Parker, Hughes, Jefferson, Timmy, Dice look better then anything with Bogans in it. When Bogans defense isn't up to par he is also a liability on offense.

gospursgojas
02-24-2010, 12:55 AM
at least with Hughes you get more offense on the court over Bogans, so it would be 4/5 instead of 3/5.

lineups of Parker, Hughes, Jefferson, Timmy, Dice look better then anything with Bogans in it. When Bogans defense isn't up to par he is also a liability on offense.

Hughes is not bad on the D end either

ace3g
02-24-2010, 01:08 AM
yeah he gets a good amount of steals each game and he also has a couple of double digit assists nights each season and rebounds as well

FeZZy
02-24-2010, 01:44 AM
how about mike jones!

ace3g
02-24-2010, 01:57 AM
funny the realgm.com link mentions that the Bobcats are interested in him, I hate these teams that already have an abundance of athletic guards/forwards, try to become richer.

Please Larry Brown let us have a player for once (Tyrus Thomas)

the only question I have from a CBA stand point, Larry Hughes contract for this year is something like 13.6 million. So since he is waived, the Spurs would only have to sign him to the minimum correct?

ace3g
02-24-2010, 02:06 AM
The Knicks revealed last week that Hughes has a fractured left ring finger and could miss four weeks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-kings-hugheswaived&prov=ap&type=lgns

didn't know that, luckily it isn't on his shooting hand. Again I'll reserve my opinion who I think the Spurs should go after from waivers till March 1 but Hughes is up there on the list

ace3g
02-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Feb 22 F Etan Thomas wasn't moved at the trade deadline and won't be moving into the rotation anytime soon. Brought in to provide depth and toughness to the frontline, the veteran has been supplanted by rookie Serge Ibaka. Thomas, a native of Tulsa, has declined interview requests in recent weeks. Scott Brooks doesn't envision a change in Thomas' role. "He's done a great job of staying in shape," coach Scott Brooks said. "But we're playing good basketball and the guys who are playing are playing well."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3411/news;_ylt=An37BnT1E5hudW9Bg_kjkR52PKB4

Thomas is a player I would be very happy if the Spurs picked him up off waivers, doesn't sound like he is too happy there in OKC.

In fact when he was a rotation player real early in the season he had a good line against the Lakers

34 min, 4-7 FG 9 pts, 11 boards, 3 blocks

going to watch this game to see how his movement is on the court

FeZZy
02-26-2010, 07:20 PM
tony batie please :D

G-Dawgg
02-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Former Spur Julius Nwosu.

ace3g
02-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Bell Won't Ask Warriors For Buyout

Marc Stein of ESPN.com is reporting that Raja Bell will not seek a buyout from the Warriors.

Bell had wrist surgery in early December, but is on course to make his comeback next month.

He told Stein that he is not pursuing a buyout, which would have to be completed before March 1 for him to be eligible for the playoffs with a new team.

"I'm fully prepared to play here," Bell said last Friday.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65024/20100227/bell_wont_ask_warriors_for_buyout/#ixzz0glR5azyf

dav4463
02-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Get Dwayne Jones in here from the Toros.

Sean Cagney
02-28-2010, 01:35 AM
how about mike jones!

WHO? MIKE JONES?

:lol

I remember him man, Maryland player, he was good here.

ace3g
03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Source tells ESPN.com that Wolves will release C Mark Blount later Monday, making Blount eligible to appear in the playoffs for another team

ace3g
03-01-2010, 01:30 PM
he can shoot the 3, not at a high percentage but in 2007-2008 he shot them at 38.6%.

maybe the Spurs could use him like a Rasheed Wallace type, a 7 footer that can spread the floor with the 3 and he isn't a terrible defender if I remember correctly.

the only reason he didn't play this season because he agreed with the Wolves during preseason not to play until he was traded

RiverwalkParade
03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Read this morning that Devin Brown might reach a buyout with Chicago. Any chance we get him back here? Would be nice to have an extra shooter for when Mason is cold.

anakha
03-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Blount has a reputation for being pretty http://i47.tinypic.com/w0lw6s.gif, IIRC.

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Blount is horrible and like anakha said, he has a poor reputation around the league..

RiverwalkParade
03-01-2010, 01:40 PM
We'll just have to wait and see who else gets dropped today. If it's not a 7 footer or a pure shooter, I'm not interested.

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Tony Battie was rumored to get bought out, I'm not sure if it ended up going through though..he would be a good 5th big IMO..

ace3g
03-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Blount did have a 20+ pt game against the Spurs in '08. Sometimes the Spurs look at players that played well against them

benefactor
03-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Tony Battie was rumored to get bought out, I'm not sure if it ended up going through though..he would be a good 5th big IMO..
:tu

silverblk mystix
03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
battie?

it wouldn't make sense to dump ratliff....then get battie????

Baseline
03-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Blount did have a 20+ pt game against the Spurs in '08. Sometimes the Spurs look at players that played well against them

Exactly - which is part of the problem, because Pop only goes after guys who light up the Spurs. It's ridiculous.

objective
03-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Read this morning that Devin Brown might reach a buyout with Chicago. Any chance we get him back here? Would be nice to have an extra shooter for when Mason is cold.

Brown could work.

And Antonio Daniels is still waiting around.

PDXSpursFan
03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Mike James???

iminol
03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Mike James???

who?

skinsfan1
03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
I think he signed with the wizards

Bruno
03-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Mark Blount wouldn't really help Spurs given that they still have Bonner who is better than him and fit the same role.
Battie would be nice at the deep end of the bench.

DesignatedT
03-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Mike James???

definitely think this could be an option.

DesignatedT
03-01-2010, 06:40 PM
and also, whats the word on KT getting bought out? if he even is...

Bruno
03-02-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm surprised to see how few players have been waived. There isn't a single available player who could have some kind of impact. The best Spurs could do are players like Antonio Daniels, Larry Hughes, Kenny Thomas, Mikki Moore... It truly sucks. :td

Since Spurs can't get a player who will help them short term wise, they should focus on something more long term. They should go after a young player who has a shot to be part of the team for the next year.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
I've always sort of liked Travis Diener's game. Wouldn't mind him at all TBF.

Bruno
03-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I've always sort of liked Travis Diener's game. Wouldn't mind him at all TBF.

Diener will likely go to Portland.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Diener will likely go to Portland.

Yeah, I read that. Shame if it happens, I think he could fit in and help the Spurs a little.

G-Dawgg
03-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Spurs won't be gettin anybody.. To be honest.. They'll probably be looking to invest in the future of this team and find younger guys to bring in rather than the vets they usually go for. It's almost common knowledge now that Duncan is likley going to end-up retiring without that fifth ring for his thumb.. So sad. Oh well it was a great decade to be a spurs fan..

Chieflion
03-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Spurs won't be gettin anybody.. To be honest.. They'll probably be looking to invest in the future of this team and find younger guys to bring in rather than the vets they usually go for. It's almost common knowledge now that Duncan is likley going to end-up retiring without that fifth ring for his thumb.. So sad. Oh well it was a great decade to be a spurs fan..

The Spurs have to sign a 13th man in the D-League, off waivers, FA market, due to league rules stating you need at least 13 players on the roster. They will probably just sign some scrub from the D-League.

mountainballer
03-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm surprised to see how few players have been waived. There isn't a single available player who could have some kind of impact. The best Spurs could do are players like Antonio Daniels, Larry Hughes, Kenny Thomas, Mikki Moore... It truly sucks. :td

Since Spurs can't get a player who will help them short term wise, they should focus on something more long term. They should go after a young player who has a shot to be part of the team for the next year.

I also thought we will see many more buy outs. (Battie, Etan Thomas, Raja Bell)
I agree that there are only few interesting options.

the logical choice for a young player would be Morris Almond. Spurs will be short of at least 2 of their shooters next season (Mason, Finley). Almond has a lot of flaws, but he also has the potential to once fill a role like Mason or Finley. (better size and athleticism than Mason, younger and quicker than Finley)

and (don't laugh) maybe they bring in Anthony Tolliver for another try? even if the Spurs think about re signing Bonner, it's not given that they in fact do. (maybe he doesn't want. I guess he still would love to go back to Toronto)

ElNono
03-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Get on the phone with Don Nelson and get Raja Bell over here...

Just get it done.

DaBears
03-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I cant remember a time when there have been so many players wanted off the team..

I have been a spurs fan for over 10+ years and cannot remember a time like this, normally its the other way around players wanting to come here..

I guess losing can do that to yeah..

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
I cant remember a time when there have been so many players wanted off the team..

I have been a spurs fan for over 10+ years and cannot remember a time like this, normally its the other way around players wanting to come here..

Because Finley, Mason and Haislip are such proven winners right ...

Bruno
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I also thought we will see many more buy outs. (Battie, Etan Thomas, Raja Bell)
I agree that there are only few interesting options.

the logical choice for a young player would be Morris Almond. Spurs will be short of at least 2 of their shooters next season (Mason, Finley). Almond has a lot of flaws, but he also has the potential to once fill a role like Mason or Finley. (better size and athleticism than Mason, younger and quicker than Finley)

and (don't laugh) maybe they bring in Anthony Tolliver for another try? even if the Spurs think about re signing Bonner, it's not given that they in fact do. (maybe he doesn't want. I guess he still would love to go back to Toronto)

Tolliver is under contract with Golden State. He isn't available.

I agree with you on Almond. He would be one of the best option available. A player I would also like Spurs to go after is Rashad McCants.

DaBears
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
We need a BIG man or a taller defender not a bunch of migit like the current squad.. not that i dont like them, or saying they suck..... ok well i am, but they need a big lineup and that is all it takes.... Small ball never wins championships.....I sure others can see this as a point of emphasis.. Wait they due there called the lakers Celtics, Nuggets, Orlando, Cleveland, Dallas, OkC... Atlanta HAWKS........ Get big i i'm sure well be back in the mix till then accept the headache..... and the continuous screaming at your TV, while puling out the little hair you have left "what the hell are you doing POP"... Why Bonner, he sucks....

Last night the guy shot about 10-12 times only making 3-4 shots..(not sure but it seemsed that way...

ElNono
03-02-2010, 10:30 AM

We just have been collecting a lot of dead weight. It wasn't as apparent when Tim, Tony and Manu were playing balls out, but now that we need to rely more on the role players, you see what's going on.

The fact that Pop is also keen to give good minutes and even starts to some of those guys compounds the problem. So at this point, the only way not to see them out there is to get them out of the team.

mountainballer
03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I agree with you on Almond. He would be one of the best option available. A player I would also like Spurs to go after is Rashad McCants.

doesn't McCants exactly duplicate what we already have in Hill? (plus some attitude)

ohmwrecker
03-02-2010, 10:57 AM
We need a BIG man or a taller defender not a bunch of migit like the current squad.. not that i dont like them, or saying they suck..... ok well i am, but they need a big lineup and that is all it takes.... Small ball never wins championships.....I sure others can see this as a point of emphasis.. Wait they due there called the lakers Celtics, Nuggets, Orlando, Cleveland, Dallas, OkC... Atlanta HAWKS........ Get big i i'm sure well be back in the mix till then accept the headache..... and the continuous screaming at your TV, while puling out the little hair you have left "what the hell are you doing POP"... Why Bonner, he sucks....

Last night the guy shot about 10-12 times only making 3-4 shots..(not sure but it seemsed that way...

You never go full retard, man.

Bruno
03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
doesn't McCants exactly duplicate what we already have in Hill? (plus some attitude)

I don't find it. McCants is significantly bigger and is more a shooter than Hill.

Almond has some edges on McCants: he is bigger and less red flags around him. McCants has for him that he has done way more at the NBA level and IMO is way more talented than Almond. If I were Spurs GM, I would go after McCants over Almond: higher risk but also higher reward.

Mel_13
03-02-2010, 11:55 AM
I don't find it. McCants is significantly bigger and is more a shooter than Hill.

Almond has some edges on McCants: he is bigger and less red flags around him. McCants has for him that he has done way more at the NBA level and IMO is way more talented than Almond. If I were Spurs GM, I would go after McCants over Almond: higher risk but also higher reward.

Almond would probably be more willing to sign a contract with a team option for the minimum salary next season. McCants is more likely to prefer remaining a FA going into the summer.

Given that RJ and Hairston are the only two wings under team control for next season, a player who will accept a team option for next season offers advantages for the Spurs.

TJastal
03-02-2010, 12:14 PM
LOL.

You guys will stop at nothing to make sure poor Malik Hairston is completely squeezed out of the rotation, huh? Spurs just cleared up the problem of having too many wings splitting too few minutes, so the last thing the spurs need is immediately create the same problem by clogging up the wing rotation.

The spurs should be looking to get someone with some size that could help the spurs match up with Dallas/LA/Denver, esp with no more Ratliff and a shaky Dice.

RiverwalkParade
03-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Lindsay Hunter anyone? Just waived by the Bulls

ace3g
03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
waived too late, and he is going to stay with the Bulls as a Front Office type job

pad300
03-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Almonds 6'4.75" W/o Shoes 8'6" standing reach 215 lbs
McCants 6'2.75" w/0 shoes 8'7.5" standing reach 200 lbs

McCants has a better rep defensively, but my problem with both is they are both SG's (ie small wings). I would really prefer a full SF; the only one on our roster who can really match up with a 6'7" to 6'9" SF is Richardson. I would look at more size on the wing...

Duncanoypi
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Almonds 6'4.75" W/o Shoes 8'6" standing reach 215 lbs
McCants 6'2.75" w/0 shoes 8'7.5" standing reach 200 lbs

McCants has a better rep defensively, but my problem with both is they are both SG's (ie small wings). I would really prefer a full SF; the only one on our roster who can really match up with a 6'7" to 6'9" SF is Richardson. I would look at more size on the wing...

The one that missed an open dunk? :lol

Thompson
03-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Would it be possible to extract Viktor Sanikidze from Italy? We could put him into the D-league to learn our system and see if he's a keeper in summer league. He's a small forward, and he's stated in an interview that it's his dream to play in the NBA.

Also, if he was here we might be able to monitor his weight training and get him to bulk up a bit (convince him its a necessity to realize his dream).

Bruno
03-02-2010, 07:49 PM

Almond and McCants aren't players for this year but for the next one. For this year, it's sure that a long SF or a though vet PF/C could help more Spurs than a SG.

Plan A would have been to get a player who makes Spurs better for the playoffs. The problem is that I don't see a single player who can have some kind of impact for Spurs. If Pan A can't be fulfilled, Spurs should go with plan B that is to say going with a young player who could help Spurs next year.

I'm all for adding some size on the wing for the playoffs but I don't see who could fit that role. The best I can come with is Shawne Williams and he quite sucks.

pad300
03-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Almond and McCants aren't players for this year but for the next one. For this year, it's sure that a long SF or a though vet PF/C could help more Spurs than a SG.

Plan A would have been to get a player who makes Spurs better for the playoffs. The problem is that I don't see a single player who can have some kind of impact for Spurs. If Pan A can't be fulfilled, Spurs should go with plan B that is to say going with a young player who could help Spurs next year.

I'm all for adding some size on the wing for the playoffs but I don't see who could fit that role. The best I can come with is Shawne Williams and he quite sucks.

Certainly of the two, for next year, I'd look at McCants. He's got a tremendous physical profile; his wingspan and standing reach match up with the average small forward (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=avepos&year=All) quite well (to whom, I might add he gives up 4" in height). He had a great vertical jump and was very strong (15 reps at his combine), as well as doing well in the 3/4 court sprints and the agility test... And he can definitely shoot. All that would have to happen is a bunch of maturing. He takes lousy shots, thinking he can make them, he has too many TO's, and he gives effort on D only when matched up with someone good... He could be a SG version of Bowen, and more, if he had Bowen's brains, guts and integrity. Unfortunately, he's about 10% of Bowen in all of those.