PDA

View Full Version : Suns' Nash to skip OKC trip

Xylus
02-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Suns' Steve Nash will skip trip to Oklahoma City, try to heal (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/02/21/20100221suns-steve-nash-injury-rest.html)

by Paul Coro - Feb. 21, 2010 09:39 PM
The Arizona Republic

The Suns are planning to hold point guard Steve Nash from Monday's trip to Oklahoma City for Tuesday night's game to let him better heal from the lower-abdominal and back pain that has bothered him for nearly four weeks.

That would put Goran Dragic in the starting lineup with center Robin Lopez, giving the lineup two second-year players who were used lightly as rookies. With everyday use this season, Dragic and Lopez might be approaching a rookie wall they never got a chance to see last season.

Dragic already has played more games than last season. Lopez already has played more minutes than last season, despite being inactive for the first 15 games this year.

"I worry about it more with Robin than Goran," said Suns coach Alvin Gentry, who considers this to be Lopez's rookie year. "He's worked really hard and got himself in great physical condition. Robin makes fouls when he's tired so try to make sure he's fresh."

Lopez said he now knows more of what to expect as he sees opposing centers for a second time as a starter.
"I don't want to seem overconfident but I feel comfortable out there," Lopez said. "I feel good about myself. I don't see a lull coming."

Trade talk

More continues to come out about the Suns' flirtations with trading Stoudemire.

The final-hour talks between Houston and Phoenix apparently ended with no moves because Houston was unwilling to include draft picks without a physical on Stoudemire. The Suns were considering a deal sending Stoudemire to Houston for Luis Scola and Shane Battier but the Rockets' willingness to include draft picks was based on getting a physical for Stoudemire. The Suns turned down a deal without the picks.

Boston President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge also commented on his interest in Stoudemire.
"We did talk about Stoudemire but I got a sense immediately that they weren't getting the things they wanted and I think they were frustrated," Ainge told WEEI in Boston. "I think they would have liked to move him but I think they like Amar'e and even heard rumors that they were trying to extend Amar'e with a two- or three-year contract extension."

Playoff picture

The Suns still are just talking about making the playoffs, rather than aiming higher for home-court advantage yet.
But to Gentry, that does not mean just finishing in the top eight in the West.
"To us making the playoffs is finishing seventh or above," Gentry said.
"I don't think you want to play the Lakers in the first round, with or without Kobe (Bryant)."
With Sunday's win, the Suns remained in fifth place in the West with fourth-place Oklahoma City next up for them.

Xylus
02-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Time for a little White Magic!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
It'd be something if they ended OKC's winning streak. It'll be a low scoring game. Get Amare his fuckin touches Goran.

Allanon
02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
The timing of this is a bit odd since there are 2 easy home games coming up and they could have rested Nash then.

Either
a) The Suns think they would lose to OKC anyways
b) They believe White Magic can get the win and they want to extend Nash's rest time

Looks like the Suns are already planning forward to the Nuggets game.

Xylus
02-22-2010, 01:50 PM
The timing of this is a bit odd since there are 2 easy home games coming up and they could have rested Nash then.

Either
b) They believe White Magic can get the win and they want to extend Nash's rest time

I think it has to do with the fact that it's a road game, so they don't want Nash traveling while trying to heal. Also, I think everyone in the Suns' camp believes Goran can lead the team to victory, even over a playoff contender. He'll play much better defense on Westbrook than Nash can, anyway.

Halberto
02-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Either

Probably "a". I don't see how they can keep Durant from scoring 40 points

pauls931
02-22-2010, 03:26 PM
It'd be something if they ended OKC's winning streak. It'll be a low scoring game. Get Amare his fuckin touches Goran.

Will 2 or 3 touches work?:toast

Pero
02-22-2010, 03:32 PM
LMAO, I didn't know Amare like to be touched. :D

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Will 2 or 3 touches work?:toast

Hopefully they don't think it does......J-Rich is the x-factor who'll decide whether they'll be competitive or not. It can't be a game when J-Rich camps 30 feet from the hoop and waits for a pass, he needs to post up and take advantage of his size.

pauls931
02-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Hopefully they don't think it does......J-Rich is the x-factor who'll decide whether they'll be competitive or not. It can't be a game when J-Rich camps 30 feet from the hoop and waits for a pass, he needs to post up and take advantage of his size.

Agree, he's built like a tank for a guard and should be bullying other guards in the post. Actually what I see happening is Dragic looking for the seam and if it's not there, passing to someone else who will feed Amare keeping his assist numbers low. The ball will probably be touching Grant Hill's hands a lot.

crc21209
02-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Chalk it up as an L then, with the way Durant is playing right now..

pauls931
02-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Chalk it up as an L then, with the way Durant is playing right now..

With Nash out the Suns' defense will increase exponentially and Durant will be lucky to score in double figures.

monosylab1k
05-20-2010, 05:15 PM
lame