PDA

View Full Version : When RePugs view Avatar

Fabbs
02-22-2010, 07:30 PM
When you Repulicans view Avatar are you deeply disappointed at the Blackwater, i mean RDA Corps war mongers falling short of wiping out the natives and much of the land?

When Colonel Miles Quaritch was killed was it kind of like a Bush or Chaney clone not getting elected last time to carry on the Pugnatin values?

spursncowboys
02-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Are you seriously comparing the Pocahantas natives with terrorists?

Spursmania
02-22-2010, 07:37 PM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj51/crys77/polar-bear-face-palm_thumbnail1.jpg

coyotes_geek
02-22-2010, 08:00 PM
http://theneweditor.com/uploads/ImpliedFacepalm.jpg

Fabbs
02-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Are you comparing the Pocahantas natives with terrorists?
That's what Colonel Miles Quaritch said they were. And Bush, i mean Quaritch wouldn't lie would he? Oh he would.

Hey maybe they are Pocahantas natives with *weapons of mass destruction* threatening?

jack sommerset
02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
What does "repug" mean? I know they are referring to a republican but why "repug" and not repub? Pug is a short hair dog. Help a brother out?

Winehole23
02-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Repugnant?

Winehole23
Pug ugly?

Winehole23
Pugnacious?

jack sommerset
02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Repugnant?

That's probably the one. Thanks.

coyotes_geek
02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
What does "repug" mean?

In this thread it means that fabbs has to steal a schtick from boutons.

balli
02-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Not to take this thread all seriously, but:

Don't get me wrong- I'm pretty much openly promoting genocide against a good portion of America's right-wing these days... but still, I don't think James Cameron is giving a pass to the Prius drivers.

Avatar's message seemed to be that human beings are a shit species. And while I agree, I don't think The Left enjoys much exclusivity from the condemnation. Especially in America.

Anyways, fabbs, go watch the Qatsi Trilogy if you wanna see a real argument about how shitty humanity is.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5539613947839465921&ei=XWGDS73zJpmmrAOnp9CZBw&q=koyaanisqatsi&hl=en

CuckingFunt
02-23-2010, 03:09 AM
There's not really anything I or anyone else can add to this thread to make it any less retarded... However, I will admit to being curious by the number of people I know personally who loved Avatar but were horribly offended by Wall-E for being "too preachy."

I think that, regardless of politics (and there were politics in this movie, very specific and very liberal), there's a very clear enemy in the film who is so far over the top that perhaps viewers can rally against him without being forced to reflect on their own politics. This is different that a film like Wall-E, to continue the comparison, in which the implication is much more subtle but holds all of us accountable for the way we live and the way we consume.

DarrinS
02-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Is the OP suffering from Avatar blues?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

SouthernFried
02-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Humans are shit...your all shit.

shitty..shitty humans.

Except for me. I'm a pretty good guy. I saved a dog from the gas chamber once.

Everyone else is shit except for vegetarians.

On the whole...just a bunch of crappy people.

Peace

SIG

johnsmith
02-23-2010, 09:23 AM
you know how when you find yourself watching something awful on TV, like Saved by the Bell, and you feel shame and embarrassed.............that's how I felt after I read this thread.

doobs
02-23-2010, 09:30 AM
There's an anti-imperialist theme in Avatar. Humans are greedy and want to steal unobtainium (how lame, btw).

But there's also a strong property rights message. That's why China got all butthurt about it.

101A
02-23-2010, 09:31 AM
There's not really anything I or anyone else can add to this thread to make it any less retarded... However, I will admit to being curious by the number of people I know personally who loved Avatar but were horribly offended by Wall-E for being "too preachy."

I think that, regardless of politics (and there were politics in this movie, very specific and very liberal), there's a very clear enemy in the film who is so far over the top that perhaps viewers can rally against him without being forced to reflect on their own politics. This is different that a film like Wall-E, to continue the comparison, in which the implication is much more subtle but holds all of us accountable for the way we live and the way we consume.

This.

I enjoyed the movie, and am offended by it only for our Marines; it wasn't just the Colonel; all but the Latina and the Cripple were made out to be bloodthirsty murderers.

It is not surprising; one of liberaldom's favorite past-times is to concoct stories that make their view of conservatives look bad.

As for Wall-E - thought it was a good film; enjoyed it with my children.

hater
02-23-2010, 10:42 AM
If you compare Avatar's conflict with Iraq conflict, only differences you might see is the aliens are blue and 10 feet tall and iraqis are brown and about 5,8. that's pretty much it.

EmptyMan
02-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Next time we pwn a planet we need to cut it down to about 2 1/2 hours.

DarrinS
02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
If you compare Avatar's conflict with Iraq conflict, only differences you might see is the aliens are blue and 10 feet tall and iraqis are brown and about 5,8. that's pretty much it.

What about Afghanistan?

Fabbs
02-23-2010, 12:25 PM
There's not really anything I or anyone else can add to this thread to make it any less retarded... Anyone who thinks the Bushies invaded Iraq for anything other then purehearted love of goodness and to stop the evil weapons of mass destruction is retarded. Likewise the Blue People Tribe in Avatar were clearly evil and hiding weapons of mass destruction and standing in the way of the countrys *energy independance*.
gawd bless $5.25 per gallon gas.

Winehole23
02-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Hmm...boutons-like.

exstatic
02-23-2010, 08:59 PM
I enjoyed the movie, and am offended by it only for our Marines; it wasn't just the Colonel; all but the Latina and the Cripple were made out to be bloodthirsty murderers.

Uh, they weren't Grunts and they weren't Marines. They were contract security: in a word, Mercs. Mercs aren't fighting for a cause or an ideal. They're fighting to fill their wallets. There's nothing more to admire in them than in criminal hired thugs or muscle.

spursncowboys
02-23-2010, 09:12 PM

I would have to be in the opposite category. I thought wall-e was great but avatar was over the top. I was waiting the whole time for K.I. Waynes to pop out and say "message".

angrydude
02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
my favorite part about the movie was when the company that had spent millions if not billions of dollars to create the avatar people wake up one day, completely out of the blue (get it?) and for no discernible reason whatsoever just saw, ah screw it. lets risk open war in a world where the average animal is the size of one our multi-million dollar mechwarriors and blow up the damn tree.

sound like the act of a calculating money grubbing corporation?

I hated avatar because its internal logic made no sense.

nkdlunch
02-24-2010, 10:19 AM
my favorite part about the movie was when the company that had spent millions if not billions of dollars to create the avatar people wake up one day, completely out of the blue (get it?) and for no discernible reason whatsoever just saw, ah screw it. lets risk open war in a world where the average animal is the size of one our multi-million dollar mechwarriors and blow up the damn tree.

sounds like something blackwater would do.

didnt they spend millions on buying new trucks when they easily could have fixed them at a fraction?

101A
02-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Uh, they weren't Grunts and they weren't Marines. They were contract security: in a word, Mercs. Mercs aren't fighting for a cause or an ideal. They're fighting to fill their wallets. There's nothing more to admire in them than in criminal hired thugs or muscle.

Most were (former) Marines, were they not?