PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Horry's veteran savvy proves essential to Spurs

whottt
05-01-2005, 02:22 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050105.14C.BKNspurs.horry.22e086234.html

Horry's veteran savvy proves essential to Spurs
Web Posted: 05/01/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

DENVER — An hour before the Spurs began Game 3 of their NBA Western Conference first-round playoff series against the Denver Nuggets at the Pepsi Center on Saturday night, Spurs forward Robert Horry expressed hope there would be no need for a "Big Shot Bob" moment through the remainder of the Spurs' playoff run.

Meanwhile, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich lamented the fact Rasho Nesterovic wasn't truly sound enough to play much.

Three Tim Duncan first-half fouls later, Horry and Nesterovic became vital to the Spurs' chances of gaining an edge in the best-of-seven series.

And "Big Shot Bob" made yet another appearance.

Duncan, the Spurs' two-time Most Valuable Player, played only five minutes in the first half after picking up two personals in the first period and a third just 1 minute, 24 seconds after re-entering the game in the second quarter. The power forward had only four points and two rebounds in the half.

But Horry and Nesterovic played well enough in Duncan's first-half absence that he hardly was missed.

Of course, Manu Ginobili taking up every bit of the scoring slack the Spurs lost when Duncan made his premature first-half exit helped, too. But without Horry's and Nesterovic's contributions, the Spurs would have been in trouble against a robust Nuggets front line.

Horry had talked before the game about hoping the days of the Spurs needing his experience perhaps were at an end.

"I just want to be up, play my role and win the game," Horry said. "And hopefully those days of hitting the big shot are all over. I hope we win big and don't need that any more."

The Spurs needed it Saturday, and Horry played his role — which turned out to require two more of the 3-point "Big Shot Bob" daggers for which he has been known during crunch time.

The Spurs were clinging to a four-point lead midway through the fourth when Horry used his veteran savvy to steal an inbounds pass that followed a made jump shot by teammate Bruce Bowen. He turned it into one of the game's biggest possessions when he dribbled out to the 3-point line and nailed a shot.

"It was one of those plays where the coach yells, 'No, no,'" Popovich said. "But he made the shot. It was huge."

Thirty-five seconds later, Horry hit a second 3-pointer that silenced the raucous Denver crowd and gave the Spurs a 10-point edge that held up for the victory.

It was classic "Big Shot Bob."

With center Nazr Mohammed joining Duncan in foul trouble with three in the first half, Popovich had no choice but to play both Nesterovic and Horry.

Nesterovic didn't score in his eight first-half minutes, but he grabbed six rebounds, including one on offense that produced two of the Spurs' seven second-chance points in the half. He hit a big 15-foot jumper in the third period after the Nuggets had trimmed an 11-point Spurs lead to three points.

whottt
05-01-2005, 02:24 AM
LOL myzte...You were on this thread 1 second after I posted it!

T Park
05-01-2005, 03:59 AM
Nesterovic was fantastic tonight..

cd36
05-01-2005, 04:27 AM
my rookie mistakes proved essential to no one

missmyzte
05-01-2005, 05:26 AM
LOL myzte...You were on this thread 1 second after I posted it!

I have a radar to anything that reads Horry, lol. :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
05-01-2005, 07:26 AM
I have a radar to anything that reads Horry, lol. :lol
lol :lol If he keeps this up, I'll be joining your club missmyzte! :lol By the way thanks for the clips you donate to supergino.com, sometimes its the only way us foreigners get to watch replays lol.