James Anderson

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/jamesanderson.jpg

Height: 6' 6"
Weight: 195 lbs
Birthday: 03/25/1989 (20 Years Old)
Current: SG/SF
NBA: SG/SF
Possible: SG/SF

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-Anderson-5106/)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/james-anderson)
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36251)

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Latest DX writeup on Anderson. Below are excerpts with some bolded sections. To read the complete article, click on the link below...

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NCAA-Weekly-Performers-3410-3408/

Not the most fluid or dynamic athlete you’ll find at the collegiate level, Anderson nevertheless manages to produce in an incredibly prolific and efficient way. Out of the 35 players sporting the highest usage rates (the percentage of their team’s overall possessions they garner) in college basketball, Anderson ranks as the most efficient player around, which is a testament to how important he is to Oklahoma State’s NCAA tournament hopes.

Anderson is clearly the centerpiece of the Cowboys’ offense, as they run him off a huge number of screens on virtually every possession in an attempt to get him open looks. Staggers, flairs, curls, down-screens—any shot they can get him with his feet set is a good possession for them. Anderson’s shooting ability is simply outstanding, as he boasts excellent form, consistent mechanics, a quick release, and terrific range on his jump-shot. Despite shooting just 36% from beyond the arc this season (more an indication of the type of defenses that are thrown at him than anything), Anderson projects as a high-level NBA shooter any way you slice it when looking at the way he can put the ball in the net.

More than just a spot-up shooter, about a third of Anderson’s jumpers come off the dribble, of which he converts an excellent 43.4% according to Synergy Sports Technology...

These are all things we knew last year, though. Perhaps more impressive about the season Anderson is having is how often he’s getting to the free throw line. He ranks #1 among all likely wing prospects in this draft in that category on a per-minute basis, and converts an excellent 80% of his attempts once there....

What’s interesting is that he appears to be extremely limited driving to his right (he drives left 86% of the time according to Synergy Sports Technology), but still doesn’t let them affect him too much, as teams are so concerned with his jump-shot that they are often more than willing to concede him driving to the basket.

The biggest chink in Anderson’s armor and the main thing holding him back from being able to project him as an outstanding NBA role-player has always been his play on the defensive end. Unfortunately, not much seems to have changed this year. Anderson isn’t much of a presence at all on the perimeter, looking very upright in his stance and showing below average lateral quickness, getting beat on a regular basis off the dribble by fairly mediocre college slashers. He doesn’t use his body well enough, lacks a significant degree of physicality in his approach, and does not utilize his length at all to contest opponents’ shots...

Still, it’s not a very encouraging sign when projecting him to the NBA level. Teams will need to study this part of his game closely in private workouts to see if he has more potential in this area than he’s currently showing, as it’s an important factor considering his likely role in the NBA.

Regardless of his flaws on the defensive end, Anderson is having an outstanding junior season and has improved his NBA draft stock considerably from where it was last year.

There's alot to like about Anderson offensively, as he seems comfortable scoring in any role. The description of his body and his offensive game kind of reminds me of Rip Hamilton. But, obviously the Spurs need good defensive players, and as it says...any team that drafts him will have to vet his ability in that area.

kbrury
03-05-2010, 02:55 PM
If Pondexter is gone and Anderson is still on the board, I'd take him even with the questionable defense. I think we are going to need someone especially after this season to kick it out to and hit shots consistently and that's what Andseron can do.

AFBlue
03-18-2010, 12:00 AM
DX currently has the Spurs taking him. I know it doesn't mean much with over 3 months until draft night, but if the Spurs are looking for a wing that can put the ball in the hoop and is efficient at doing so, they'll definitely give Anderson a look.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Yup, my second choice after Pondexter too.

Ditty
03-23-2010, 01:49 AM
he reminds me of josh howard

could be a good player if he can get that defense down

mountainballer
03-23-2010, 04:40 AM
Josh Howard, really?
isn't he more of let's say Morris Almond or Desmon Farmer?
which means he's a fantastic scorer at college or D-league level, but has to many flaws to become a good NBA player. and he also doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the kitchen.
I guess I would prefer Willie Warren over him, when going for a scoring SG, although I'm well aware that Warren also has a lot of bust potential.

pad300
03-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Yup, my second choice after Pondexter too.

Not mine. For a wing, I'd take George (Paul George, Fresno State). There are a few other players (at different positions) that I might take before Anderson.

Mr. Body
03-29-2010, 04:28 AM
Interesting player. Draft camps and workouts could kill him right away if it shows him disinterested in defense. I wonder if the Spurs will go for a SG or swingman-type. They really could use a Mason replacement and someone who not only can hit spot up shots but who can create his own offense at times. This seems to be that guy, as far as that goes. He's also not a bad rebounder.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Not mine. For a wing, I'd take George (Paul George, Fresno State). There are a few other players (at different positions) that I might take before Anderson.

Given a few things I've read about Anderson since I posted last, I retract what I said. We need a guy who will be able to get his own shot at will, and it sounds like Anderson probably isn't that guy.

I know nothing of George, so I'll go take a look. Thanks. :toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-29-2010, 08:04 AM

Nice call!

ERcmFdlrrXY

What sort of oppostion was he playing against? I can't judge the toughness of Fresno State's schedule:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=41772

He'd have to put on some weight, and his jumpshooting form is odd (slightly Marionesque), but he's one hell of an athlete! And from his stats he looks to be a good steal-gambler (obviously aided by his length). Tell me more. :)

Mr. Body
03-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Given a few things I've read about Anderson since I posted last, I retract what I said. We need a guy who will be able to get his own shot at will, and it sounds like Anderson probably isn't that guy.

Anderson is a guy who can get his own shot. The DX description has good info on that. Well, nbadraft contradicts it. I trust DX more, but haven't seen him play much this year.

kbrury
03-29-2010, 10:48 AM

I know nothing of George, so I'll go take a look. Thanks. :toast

More than just a spot-up shooter, about a third of Anderson’s jumpers come off the dribble, of which he converts an excellent 43.4%

If we can't get Pondexter I'd rather get someone who can just plain out shoot. In terms of the athletic swingman I'd rather just go through what we have in the D-league.

mountainballer
03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
again, this years draft just isn't very good in the SG and swingman department. so, using the 1st rounder for such a player doesn't look very sensitive. the 2nd rounder is a different story, you bet on a player and often lose, but sometimes you win.
however, Anderson won't be available at #50, but guys like Aubrey Coleman, Sylven Landesberg, or Manny Harris will be there.

Mr. Body
03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
again, this years draft just isn't very good in the SG and swingman department. so, using the 1st rounder for such a player doesn't look very sensitive. the 2nd rounder is a different story, you bet on a player and often lose, but sometimes you win.
however, Anderson won't be available at #50, but guys like Aubrey Coleman, Sylven Landesberg, or Manny Harris will be there.

No offense, but this doesn't seem reasonable. If a good player available at #20 happens to be a shooting guard/swingman, you'd avoid drafting him simply because the draft as a whole is thin at the position?

mountainballer
03-30-2010, 02:28 AM
of course not. I was just trying to point out, that very likely there will be better players from the big man department available.
and that Anderson likely wouldn't be ranked that high, if there were more quality wings in this years draft. (as I said, I don't think he is worth a 1st rounder).
if for what ever reason it happens that Xavier Henry falls to our pick, then I'll be happy if Spurs picked him. (won't happen, for the mentioned reasons. but in other years a player like him might have fallen to the #20 area.)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Neither of you guys like the look of Paul George?

mountainballer
03-30-2010, 07:55 AM
I like him. but it is also hard to evaluate his potential considering the competition, as he played for a bad team in a not very strong conference.
he's pretty young though, so there is a lot of upside.
players like Pondexter and James likely don't have this upside, but I think they are more of a sure thing to become at least decent role players at NBA level.
however, if the Spurs pick Paul, I won't complain.

Bruno
03-30-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure this draft is that bigmen oriented for Spurs first round pick.

Spurs pick is right now the 19th one. When you look at DX latest mock draft, there are only 4 bigmen in that area (Alabi, Whiteside, Sanders, Lawal). All the other player are SG or SF. The draft looks very weak in the PG area after Wall.

While this draft is bigmen oriented, it seems mainly true for lottery picks.

mountainballer
03-30-2010, 08:56 AM
I think a lot can happen till May 8th.
I wouldn't be surprised, if (because of the lack of PG depth) either Eric Bledsoe and Kemba Walker will declare and stay in.
(Bledsoe will be a lottery pick and Walker should be picked around #20)
this doesn't make this class deep in the PG pool, but it would look more balanced. (and it would push some more intriguing big men or combo forwards to our draft area)

BronxCowboy
05-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Anderson's shooting numbers at the combine were worse overall than expected, but wasn't his athletic testing a little better than expected? Where would you guys put him now? I think he's a safe bet to be available at #20, while some or all of the guys listed as preferences in this thread are not. Still take Pondexter over him? Willie Warren? Warren actually shot really well.

mountainballer
05-31-2010, 07:48 AM
wouldn't read to much into this few shots at the combine. he has hit enough shots over the last 3 years to prove he offers good talent in that department. bad day or whatever.
Spurs use a tire system and I think there is a high probability they rate him in a higher tire than Pondexter, James, Robinson.
maybe in the same tire as Babbitt and Hayward? but who knows.
personally I would take Pondexter over him, but Anderson clearly has more upside. (more bust potential as well IMO)
I think the chance is pretty good the Spurs finally end up with picking him. I agree that currently it seems as if George, Henry, Babbitt and Hayward will be gone, while Anderson could still be on the board.
however, I can't warm up to this pick. not really impressed by his personality.

mosdef17
05-31-2010, 07:57 AM
I've been lookin at this guy for a while now, I think he would be good for the Spurs... Hoping he drops to 20 though. Good thing about the draft is most of the top 20 are big men and so at 20 we should end up with one of the top 2-3 wings in the entire draft.

mountainballer
05-31-2010, 08:19 AM
I've been lookin at this guy for a while now, I think he would be good for the Spurs... Hoping he drops to 20 though. Good thing about the draft is most of the top 20 are big men and so at 20 we should end up with one of the top 2-3 wings in the entire draft.

this might have been true 2 months ago. but in the last weeks and especially after the combine the wings and SFs have clearly raised their stock. big men like Motiejunas, Alabi, Sanders (even Aldridge and Whiteside) have lost a bit or significantly.
some weeks ago none would ever have guessed that players like Babbitt or Hayward could be drafted ahead of Alabi, or that Henry or Paul could be drafted ahead of Motiejunas. now it's exactly the other way around. #20 might not be better than for the #6 or #7 wing in this draft.

benefactor
05-31-2010, 08:26 AM
He can shoot, but his lack of size for an NBA SF to go along with his lack of defensive fundamentals is really going to hurt him. If this is the type of player the Spurs want to pay guaranteed first round money to then they are better off going out and signing Romain Sato, who has similar length and is a better defender.

BronxCowboy
05-31-2010, 09:00 AM
this might have been true 2 months ago. but in the last weeks and especially after the combine the wings and SFs have clearly raised their stock. big men like Motiejunas, Alabi, Sanders (even Aldridge and Whiteside) have lost a bit or significantly.
some weeks ago none would ever have guessed that players like Babbitt or Hayward could be drafted ahead of Alabi, or that Henry or Paul could be drafted ahead of Motiejunas. now it's exactly the other way around. #20 might not be better than for the #6 or #7 wing in this draft.

I'm a little surprised Motiejunas hasn't pulled out yet. I'm hoping maybe he has a committment from somebody that drafts ahead of the Spurs, and will push one of the other guys down.

Chieflion
06-13-2010, 12:35 AM
This guy is another plausible option for the Spurs to draft at 20. He is not a very good workout player which affects his draft stock but he knows how to play 5 on 5.

AFBlue
06-13-2010, 02:17 AM
From DX on SF situational statistics...

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-This-Yearas-Small-Forward-Crop-3503

James Anderson was nothing short of spectacular last season, and it shows here. His 1.07 overall PPP ranks second amongst all players, as do his 20 possessions used per-game. He was above the PPP every in every situation except for guarded catch and shoot situations, and has more experience running the pick and roll (2.9 Pos/G) than any other player on our rankings. High usage/high-efficiency players are extremely difficult to come by, and NBA teams may want to ponder if they’re missing the boat on Anderson due to the fact that he has not been spectacular in workouts. The same thing happened last year with Marcus Thornton.

Spurs have got to address shooting at some point this off-season and if the other more well-rounded options are off the draft board by the time the Spurs pick, I think Anderson would be a good option. The guy can flat out score in any way from anywhere on the court.

Mr. Body
06-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Doesn't he need a lot of shots, though?

Chieflion
06-13-2010, 10:15 AM
I believe he measured quite well, his length is not out of this world, but it is a legit 6 foot 8 wingspan. He ran his sprint quite well, his vertical tests were good, his agility tests are okay.

One thing is I like about him is that he is a legit 6 foot 6 wearing shoes (which is more than you can say about Dominque Jones, Elli0t Williams, Jordan Crawford and the likes), plus his ability to get to the free throw line at a high rate. He can shoot quite well too. His efficiency could be more outstanding if he didn't have to be relied on for offense so much. He took 15 shots a game and got 22.3 points, which is probably more than any other prospect projected to go in the 1st round for sure.

Bruno
06-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I say no to Anderson.

I'm against Spurs drafting a guard and Anderson measurement showed that he is too small to be a full time SF.

timvp
06-23-2010, 05:23 AM
Anderson's ability to shoot forces the Spurs to consider him if he's on the board. If all goes perfectly in his rookie season, Anderson's shooting ability allows me to imagine the possibility of him being in the playoff rotation.

Then again, chances are he's going to be another Mo Almond.

Muser
06-23-2010, 05:35 AM
The last shooter the Spurs drafted flamed out in Summer league.

Chieflion
06-23-2010, 05:39 AM

The last shooter the Spurs drafted was undersized, below average length and athletic ability and could not get his shot off in summer league. James Anderson should be different as he has got a mid range game.

timvp
06-24-2010, 05:52 AM
DX has the Spurs drafting him at 20.

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 05:55 PM
cant wait for the draft already! interesting read on this guy..

Spurs Brazil
06-24-2010, 08:34 PM
bump

duncan228
06-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Welcome.

benefactor
06-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the Spurs kid. Learn to play defense, please.

Libri
06-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I like this pick.

Bruno
06-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I hoped Spurs go with a player with more size but the SFs available at #20 lacked of a jump shot and it is a huge drawback given Spurs needs and roster.

I guess that if Anderson plays well, he will play some minutes at the SF spot. We will see what he will do on the defensive end against bigger players.

lefty
06-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Dear Pop

Dont ever play him as a backup PG

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2010, 08:41 PM
he derek anderson brother? mr.loyalty?

spursfan1000
06-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Good pick, we got some shooting which we need.

ElNono
06-24-2010, 08:43 PM
We'll take a look in Summer League and see what he brings...

slick'81
06-24-2010, 08:44 PM
hope it ends well everything im hearing is pretty good

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/ArtAndPhoto-Fronts/SPORTS/080223/g-080223-oklahoma-vmed-3p.widec.jpg

duncan228
06-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Spurs take Oklahoma State’s Anderson at No. 20 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-draft-spurs-anderson)
By Paul J. Weber

The San Antonio Spurs have selected Oklahoma State guard James Anderson with the 20th overall pick in the NBA draft.

The Big 12 player of the year averaged 22.3 points and 5.8 rebounds for the Cowboys as a junior.

It was the highest pick for the Spurs since drafting Tim Duncan first overall in 1997.

San Antonio has lately plucked good players late in the draft. The Spurs took George Hill with the 26th pick in 2008, and grabbed DeJuan Blair at No. 37 a year ago.

The Spurs also have the 49th pick.

ffadicted
06-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Love the pick, great shooter, great replacement for what Mason was last year, but he's not the solution at SF. Our guard rotation looks ubber sexy now though if he can learn to play some D under Pop

lefty
06-24-2010, 08:46 PM
NBA Comparison: Nick Anderson/Daequan Cook

Strengths: Prolific scoring swingman in a wiry 6-6 frame ... Highly efficient offensive game (46% FG for his college career) ... Lights out shooter with textbook form and high release ... Possesses boundless range with no deterioration in accuracy from distance (38.4%) ... Has no conscious, even in the face of repeated misses ... Extremely effective in catch-and-shoot situations, with his feet set and ready to fire ... Always squares his body to the rim with great balance and elevation on his jumper. Shoots well off the dribble when driving to his left ... Likes to take a jump stop just inside the paint for a little right-handed floater. Uses his vertical to quickly elevate over defenders inside. Has the ability to hang and adjust his shot mid-leap ... He's increased his aggression taking the ball to the basket ... Attempted 3.2 FT as a freshman, 4.7 as a sophomore and 7.2 through ten game as a junior (86%) ... Not afraid to take smaller defenders into the post ... Boasts an incredible wingspan ... Provides an incredible boost on the boards where he hits the offensive glass hard (5 rpg, 2 offensive) ... Has the skill set of a lockdown defender with his lateral quickness, length and dedication to the defensive side of the ball ... Was asked to take on an enhanced leadership role by coach Ford, and has responded commendably.
Weaknesses: Lack of ball handling skills really constricts his game ... He is not comfortable creating offense for himself or teammates ... Appears hesitant with the ball in his hands with a lack of ingenuity ... Despite his athletic gifts, does not look "smooth" when forced to make a basketball move ... Drives to the basket are predominantly to his left ... Unable to change directions with the rock ... Dribbles with his head down ... Turnovers (2 per game for his career) and offensive fouls have been a problem ... Not a particularly adept passer (1.3 ast per game) ... His basketball IQ needs work ... He's a natural shooter, but not a natural basketball player ... Could certainly stand to add some bulk, which would aid his ball handling woes ... Knocked off balance too easily on drives ... Despite improved aggression, still spends too much time floating around the perimeter, especially in crunch time. Needs to augment his mid-range game.
Notes: Has some oddball statistical games early in the 2009-2010 season, with a 15 rebound game vs. Seattle and a 5 block game vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Was selected to the USA team at the World University Games where he averaged 7 pts and 2 rebounds in 12 minutes per game.

Adam Ganeles 12/19/09

S3t0LNuZPZE

ploto
06-24-2010, 08:48 PM
I understand why he was chosen when he dropped that low, but I really do not see how he meets any of the top needs that the Spurs have.

objective
06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
he fills a need by not being Roger Mason

lefty
06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
I understand why he was chosen when he dropped that low, but I really do not see how he meets any of the top needs that the Spurs have.
Outside shooting

TheChillFactor
06-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Catch and shoot player on offense, can rebound some and plays good defense. I like this pick esp @ 20.

06-24-2010, 08:53 PM
he fills a need by not being Roger Mason
:lol

lefty
06-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Catch and shoot player on offense, can rebound some and plays good defense. I like this pick esp @ 20.
Plus he is the kind of player who keeps his confidence up, even after going 0/10

timtonymanu
Whatever prevents Mason from coming back, I won't complain.

Tito_Trinidad
he is filling up Mason and Finley shoes next season. Book it. The classic catch & shot player, and off-screen mid J's, ala Ray Allen too.

BackHome
06-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I always like drafting the most talented player and not drafting for need. If Splitter comes over then we got instanst offense and instant defense upgrades not bad so far.

As far as SF well I figure after three hundred pages of Hairston he could play SF or Gee?

Blackjack
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii105/scoozna/misc/mr_anderson.jpg

Hello, Mr. Anderson . . .

:elephant :elephant :elephant

too bad he doesn't shoot good 3pt percentages.

lefty
06-24-2010, 08:56 PM
too bad he doesn't shoot good 3pt percentages.
Oddly, some players shoot the 3 better in the NBA than in college

Go figure :lol

Steve-O-Matic
06-24-2010, 08:57 PM
I think Anderson could be a poor man's Mitch Richmond, if not more.

rayray2k8
06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
I predict the spurs will draft this guy.

rayray2k8
06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Hey, I was right.

spurs1990
06-24-2010, 09:00 PM
If all goes perfectly in his rookie season, Anderson's shooting ability allows me to imagine the possibility of him being in the playoff rotation.

Seriously are we that loaded?

Who's gonna be in the ro' in May 2011... lets see

Parker
Ginobili
Hill
Duncan
Blair
Splitter
McDyess

The last two guys on that list are questionable. Anderson better be playing or we're getting swept one mo 'gain.

bdictjames
06-24-2010, 09:02 PM
We still need more shooters though.

JustinJDW
06-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the Spurs kid. Learn to play defense, please.This.

Like someone said earlier in this thread, with this pick and the signing of Splitter, our first two moves of the Off-Season would be the addition of instant offense and instant defense.

I like it.

ace3g
06-24-2010, 09:05 PM
spurs

Spurs GM R.C. Buford discusses the No. 20 pick James Anderson: http://bit.ly/9W3Tjg

ducks
06-24-2010, 09:05 PM
spurs need other players to get to the foul line
anderson can do that
also can score

objective
06-24-2010, 09:06 PM
We still need more shooters though.

as long as Bonner and Mason aren't those shooters, the Spurs are in good shape.

scottspurs
06-24-2010, 09:06 PM
College basketballs third leading scorer with 22.6 points per game

Bender
06-24-2010, 09:08 PM
what was that guy's name again? Jack something? is he the one that went something like 0-20 in SL?

ffadicted
06-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm excited for tallball :hungry:

PG: Manu
SG: Anderson
SF: Jefferson
PF: Duncan
C: Splitter

duncan228
06-24-2010, 09:09 PM
20. San Antonio - James Anderson, guard (Oklahoma State): Best perimeter scorer in the draft... How do guys like this always fall to the Spurs. He was on our sleepers list because he is a guy who can score the rock any way you please -- spot up, off the dribble or drive to rim (and draws fouls well). He is a fantastic athlete. Got to work on his defense, Pops likes the defense. But a good pick.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/

20. San Antonio Spurs James Anderson SG 6-6 195 Oklahoma City
The Big 12 POY and former McDonald's All-American transformed his career in Stillwater during a stellar junior season in which he displayed a sound shooting stroke with range, good athleticism and a willingness to defend. He needs to work on his handle and overall shot creating, but Anderson offers superb value at No. 20 for the always draft savvy Spurs.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/24/2010-nba-draft-tracker/

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 09:16 PM
welcome to the spurs!

TD 21
06-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I like it. I thought they'd go with Williams, who may have a higher upside, but by all accounts Anderson is a better player currently and fits a more pressing need (outside shooting). He's certainly not a freak athlete, but a relatively good one. When a player ranked higher than your pick falls to you and fills a need, it's tough to complain.

I would not be surprised if the Spurs don't add another wing (at least on a guaranteed contract) during the off season. Anderson is most likely ready to contribute some next season. Sure, the Spurs could sign a Jones (James), but what's the point? They wanted to get younger and more athletic and this kid provides that. He could be used as the wing shooter off the bench and Hairston as the wing defender.

People will say, what about an SF? As I've said a few times, I think the Spurs view Hairston as more of an SF than an SG. Gee is another guy who can play SF. Size-wise, neither of these guys is a prototypical SF, but the Spurs have one of those and let's he honest, they haven't put a major premium on size in recent years.

They paid quite a bit to pry Gee away from the Wizards, so my sense is they won't bury him further behind some run of the mill veteran when they have a player who's likely already better than a run of the mill veteran (at least the caliber which they could afford) to play the third wing role.

barbacoataco
06-24-2010, 09:23 PM
spurs

Spurs GM R.C. Buford discusses the No. 20 pick James Anderson: http://bit.ly/9W3Tjg

Thanks for the link to the Buford interview. I liked when he got pissed at the reporter who said the Spurs needed another big last year.

I like the Anderson pick. He was one of the best players in college last year. Like Buford said, the last two Big 12 POY's to go into the NBA were Kevin Durant and Blake Griffin. So he has a certain amount of credibility as a player coming out of that conference as someone who can flat out score even when defended.

ace3g
06-24-2010, 09:34 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/100624_1.html

spurstd4
06-24-2010, 09:43 PM
If this kid can shoot like analysts say he can he doesn't need to be a great defender just a good shooter. spurs need and i mean need somebody to fill it up from the outside and the kid is supposed to be a good free throw shooter. both things the spurs lineup needs. i think it was a great pick for 20.

ace3g
06-24-2010, 09:48 PM
does he have a twitter page? can't find it if he does

Cane
06-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Seems like way too talented of a guy to pass up and it at least addresses the shooting and size problems the Spurs have. Hopefully Chip can turn him into an elite level NBA shooter. Spurs should be able to improve his defense and looks like he has potential on that end from what scout reports have said.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-24-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm excited over this pick. That's potentially three fucking drafts in a row the Spurs have delivered, and, oh, what a coincidence, three fucking drafts in a row they have drafted their first pick domestically.

Wow, fuck my ass, what are the odds? Never would have thought. It's not like some of us on here have been begging them to draft domestic in the Era of Draft Fuckups 2004-2007

ffadicted
06-24-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm excited over this pick. That's potentially three fucking drafts in a row the Spurs have delivered, and, oh, what a coincidence, three fucking drafts in a row they have drafted their first pick domestically.

Wow, fuck my ass, what are the odds? Never would have thought. It's not like some of us on here have been begging them to draft domestic in the Era of Draft Fuckups 2004-2007

Scola should've been a home run, and splitter is a potential one

Cane
06-24-2010, 09:59 PM

The Spurs had planned to draft 6-10 Serbian Nemanja Bjelica with the 20th pick, but a bad workout hurt his chances wtih them, sources say.

!WoJ
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/16976579613

:wow

ace3g
06-24-2010, 10:15 PM
spurs

Listen to James Anderson's phone interview with the San Antonio media: http://bit.ly/ddAjnN

Thompson
06-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Who's gonna be in the ro' in May 2011... lets see

Parker
Ginobili
Hill
Duncan
Blair
Splitter
McDyess

You forgot Jefferson. Even if he's traded before the deadline, we should be able to get 1-2 good players for his expiring.

Parker Hill
Anderson Ginobili
Jefferson (Robinson?) Hairston
Duncan Blair
Splitter McDyess

That's not bad.

Thompson
06-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Son of a... another commercial before the Spurs' pick.

ace3g
06-24-2010, 10:30 PM
DickieV

James Anderson going to Spurs at #20 will be the steal of the NBA draft!

Thompson
06-24-2010, 10:31 PM
DickieV

Are you joking or did he actually say that?

ace3g
06-24-2010, 10:36 PM
that is from his twitter

ace3g
06-24-2010, 10:36 PM
http://twitter.com/DickieV

Russ
06-24-2010, 10:58 PM
DickieV

Jay Bilas echoes the sentiment.

Sausage
06-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Jay Bilas said the Spurs were the big winners tonight based on the pick of James Anderson!!

wildbill2u
06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
You need to go to this website http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-athleticism-test-results

Anderson has some insane athleticism stats. And he's a shooter that plays defense? What's not to like?

jag
06-24-2010, 11:19 PM
You need to go to this website http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-athleticism-test-results

Anderson has some insane athleticism stats. And he's a shooter that plays defense? What's not to like?

All I'm seeing is that his two biggest weaknesses are athleticism and defense.

BackHome
06-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah looking at what everyone is saying we can put this up to another steal in the draft. So we are set at PG -Tony/Hill/Temple, SG - Manu/Hill Anderson, and I hope C with Duncan and Splitter. Not to bad at PF with Dice and Blair so only weakness is SF with only Jefferson and no bench?

Solid D
06-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Jay Bilas said the Spurs were the big winners tonight based on the pick of James Anderson!!

Someone may have posted this...not sure, but James Anderson was rated as the 10th Best Available when the draft started. Spurs get him at 20. I'm sure that's why Bilas said the Spurs were his pick as a big winner.

MateoNeygro
06-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Excellent news.

westbound17
06-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Welcome to the new Spur! :)

SenorSpur
06-25-2010, 02:40 AM
The fact that the Spurs went SG, instead of a big, with pick #20, should be good indicator that Spiltter will be in the fold.

Obviously nothing is a done deal until we see an announcment, but one would have to think the FO had a handle on that situation going into this draft.

Interrohater
06-25-2010, 02:45 AM
The fact that the Spurs went SG, instead of a big, with pick #20, should be good indicator that Spiltter will be in the fold.

Obviously nothing is a done deal until we see an announcment, but one would have to think the FO had a handle on that situation going into this draft.

I would definitely have to agree with that. Couple that with Splitter's recent comments in the news, this is definitely a good sign.

baseline bum
06-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Scola should've been a home run, and splitter is a potential one

Scola was a 2002 pick, wasn't he?

lurker23
06-25-2010, 04:11 AM
Of course, in addition to how a player fits on the basketball court, the Spurs always look at the off-the-court aspect. Here are some quotes from OSU coach Travis Ford about Anderson, from the press conference where he announced he was entering the draft:

"He's been a fine and a perfect example of what we want this basketball program to be about, not just as a player but as a person," Ford said. "That's what I'm going to miss is just coaching every day a guy who you know you're going to get his best effort and you know you're going to have fun doing it because he's just a tremendous, tremendous, tremendous person."

Anderson said he considered his selection to the Big 12's all-academic team to be his proudest achievement at Oklahoma State, and he intends to honor his promise to his mother to eventually earn his degree.

"It really doesn't start with basketball. Every player has a different ability when it comes to what they can do on the court," Ford said. "We don't ask everybody to do what James was able to do for us.

"What I'm going to miss probably the most was somebody who was maybe the most coachable young man I've ever been around. I've been around him for two years, and in two years I've never -- not once -- ever had to call him into my office for anything he'd done wrong."

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/Oklahoma-State-James-Anderson-to-skip-senior-year-enter-NBA-draft-032210

lurker23
06-25-2010, 04:16 AM
http://blog.newsok.com/osu/2010/03/23/farewell-james-we-hardly-knew-ya/

Anderson’s magic came while working with less talented supporting cast than most of the Cowboys’ legends. Often, he was asked to carry the Cowboys, and did, leading the Big 12 in scoring on his way to unanimous conference Player of the Year honors. And if you somehow missed the hype, it was a stout conference in 2009-10.

Anderson did more than just score. He rebounded. Defended. Assisted.

Gladly.

Anderson’s kind, the unselfish and unassuming superstar, is seldom seen these days. And that goes on the floor and off, which makes him even more special to all those in Stillwater who stood amazed at his good-guy act.

Interrohater
06-25-2010, 04:30 AM
Wow, I never would have guessed. Sounds like a stand-up guy and the kind that will get along perfectly with the culture that Timmy has established in the Spurs locker room.

timvp
06-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Great finds, lurker23.

NickiRasgo
06-25-2010, 06:34 AM
What a great attitude.

DBMethos
06-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Sounds like a Spur. :tu

Gino2882
06-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Anderson should be a really good fit on the Spurs. I think he will log some time at SF as well. I see everyone on here just limiting him to backup SG, I think he can play minutes at the 3 as well. Especially in the Spurs system. Anderson is a good spotup shooter and is improving as a slasher.

Vito Corleone
06-25-2010, 10:50 AM
I like the pick, I like 2 guards that have size, guys like Willie Anderson, Mitch Richmond, MJ, and Drexler were big and athletic and make passes into the paint very tough.

That's one of the biggest strengths of the Lakers, their overall size makes defense very easy for them.

DynastySpurs210
06-25-2010, 12:27 PM
I like him

mookie2001
06-25-2010, 01:11 PM
This is strange because we all know timvp doesn't watch big 12 basketball

It's like he formed his opinion in some other way

Obstructed_View
06-25-2010, 01:16 PM

It's possibly an indicator that someone too good to pass up fell to them. A reliable outside shooter is as big a need as a frontline player, and the Spurs were far more likely to get one of those needs covered by Anderson than any big that was available at 20.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Jon Givony tweeted yesterday that if it weren't for a bad workout from Nemanja Bjelica, they would have drafted him.

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2010, 07:58 AM
First-round pick Anderson a prototypical Spur
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/first-round_pick_anderson_a_prototypical_spur_97209849.h tml?showFullArticle=y

Manu-of-steel
06-26-2010, 09:29 AM
My only concern is that he's a good free throw shooter, lol!

tp2021
06-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Anderson, 21, grew up in the one-stoplight town of Junction City, Ark., a crab dribble from the Louisiana border, 80 miles northeast of Shreveport.
Okay, Jeff actually made me :lol with this one.

His apparent coachability has me salivating. A young basketball player with a mind like a sponge and the talent to do something with it, on a team with a player like Tim Duncan and a coach like Pop?

We think he's going to be a good fit for years to come.