PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Don't cry for Manu, Argentina, seriously

whottt
05-01-2005, 02:26 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050105.14C.BKNspurs.notebook.22e0868c4.html

Spurs notebook: Don't cry for Manu, Argentina, seriously
Web Posted: 05/01/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich probably won't be vacationing in Argentina this summer.

Popovich's decision to bring Manu Ginobili off the bench has angered more than a few of Ginobili's countrymen. Several people have voiced their displeasure on the guard's Web site.

"It was kind of packed," Ginobili said of his Web site. "People are disappointed and stuff like that. I was kind of expecting it. They were very disappointed last year. They thought it was not going to happen this year, and it did.

"I was just trying to explain the reasons and that it was a smart decision, and it was good for the team. It's not a big deal."

Popovich was prepared for a worse reaction.

"It's amazing, I thought I would get 10 questions from reporters from Argentina," Popovich said. "Not one yet."

Long healing process: No matter how far the Spurs advance in the playoffs, Popovich isn't expecting Tim Duncan's right ankle to be 100 percent until the summer.

"When you wrench that same ankle, that soon, worse than you did the first time, it takes time to recover," Popovich said, "and that's not going to happen until you're totally off it."

In addition to receiving daily treatment on his ankle from trainer Will Sevening, Duncan continues his rehab at home. He also tries to stay off his foot as much as possible.

Let's get it started: The Spurs were happy to have an extended break before each of the series' first three games.

But Popovich also is glad the teams now have only one off day between games.

"Waiting around is a killer," Popovich said. "In the beginning, we were happy about it. We really needed the time because we weren't ready. Now that it's every other day, it helps your sanity."

Karl feels for Kemp: Denver coach George Karl was disappointed to hear about former Seattle All-Star Shawn Kemp's arrest last month on marijuana possession charges.

Kemp was formally charged Friday. He will be arraigned this week in Seattle District Court.

Karl coached Kemp, who has had previous substance-abuse problems, when he was with the Sonics. Kemp retired in 2003.

"It saddens me," Karl said. "I hope he's OK. I hope this is just a situation where he can handle it and get his life straight.

"I haven't talked to him in a couple of years, but Shawn Kemp was a big part of my past."

Carlesimo meets with Knicks: Spurs assistant P.J. Carlesimo acknowledged having met with Knicks general manager Isiah Thomas on Tuesday to discuss the Knicks' head coaching job.

Carlesimo is one of several candidates for the job, vacated when Thomas fired Lenny Wilkens at mid-season. Thomas has spoken with former Bulls and Lakers coach Phil Jackson. Interim Knicks coach Herb Williams also is a candidate.

"We had a conversation," Carlesimo said, "and, yeah, I'm very interested. But at this point, I don't want to think about anything but these playoffs with the Spurs.

"We had a very good conversation, and I said I was interested in that situation. Hopefully, I don't want to be talking with them about that again until June 23, or thereabouts."

June 23 is the last possible date for an NBA Finals Game 7.

Johnny Ludden and Mike Monroe