Stanley Robinson

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/stanleyrobinson.jpg

Height: 6' 9"
Weight: 225 lbs
Birthday: 07/14/1988 (21 Years Old)
Current: SF/PF
NBA: SF/PF
Possible: SF/PF

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Stanley-Robinson-1075/)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/stanley-robinson)
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=31556)

yavozerb
02-23-2010, 07:54 AM
I believe the spurs need to go after that SF they have been wanting for years (since RJ will be around 1 more season). If they end up in the lottery, Robinson may be waiting for them

TheProfessor
04-17-2010, 10:44 AM
I believe the spurs need to go after that SF they have been wanting for years (since RJ will be around 1 more season). If they end up in the lottery, Robinson may be waiting for them
Well, we're not in the lottery, but Robinson's not quite there on current draft boards (both DX and nbadraft have him in the 20's at the moment). He'd make a lot of sense. At 6'9" with incredible athleticism, he's got potential defending multiple positions. His three-point shot got somewhat back on track this year, and he's primarily a spot-up shooter. Any of this sounding familiar? He projects as the kind of role player we've needed the last couple of years.

Bruno
04-20-2010, 03:54 AM
I'm surprised to see that few comments about him. When I look at his profile, it seems to be a great option for Spurs at #20.
Is there something wrong about him?

mountainballer
04-20-2010, 04:39 AM
I thought he exactly duplicates what we already would have in James Gist. maybe a bit more upside. he is an option at #20, but I would prefer Pondexter, George, Hayward (maybe even James) over him.

Doe
04-20-2010, 05:00 AM
I thought he exactly duplicates what we already would have in James Gist. maybe a bit more upside. he is an option at #20, but I would prefer Pondexter, George, Hayward (maybe even James) over him.

He must be quite a bit more skilled and a better all-around player as well if he projects to be a first rounder. Gist was barely drafted and even then he has yet to play an NBA game. Robinson seems to have a few intriguing qualities especially as far as the Spurs are concerned. He looks to fit the bill as the hybrid PF to defend other mobile PF's of the league. The Spurs previous interest in Gist and Haislip (failures withstanding) type players could have them looking in this direction once again.

I just read his profile on DX, is anyone aware of what his off-court issues are? Perhaps that will immediately disqualify him depending on what it is.

mountainballer
04-20-2010, 06:38 AM
before the 2008-09 season he was suspended from the team (also missed part of the season) for things like immature behavior, being late, missing classes. stuff like that. nothing really serious like violence, drugs or gun stuff. was more like a warning shot by Jim Calhoun.

yavozerb
04-20-2010, 08:27 AM
I would be suprised if robinson was around at the 20th pick. Once teams start performing individual testing this kid is gonna stand out with his athleticism and size. There will be a team in the mid-1st (will not make it past the celtics in my opinion) who will take him on that alone.

TimmehC
04-20-2010, 08:53 AM
I would be suprised if robinson was around at the 20th pick. Once teams start performing individual testing this kid is gonna stand out with his athleticism and size. There will be a team in the mid-1st (will not make it past the celtics in my opinion) who will take him on that alone.

Pop should start a rumor(complete with an "MRI") that he doesn't have any achilles tendons.

AFBlue
04-20-2010, 11:11 AM
before the 2008-09 season he was suspended from the team (also missed part of the season) for things like immature behavior, being late, missing classes. stuff like that. nothing really serious like violence, drugs or gun stuff. was more like a warning shot by Jim Calhoun.

Here's a blip from his ESPN insider draft profile...

In the summer of 2008, Stanley Robinson flirted with quitting basketball. He was struggling in school, he had two daughters to support and, after talking it over with head coach Jim Calhoun, Robinson took a semester off and sorted scrap metal for a living.

The experience opened Robinson's eyes to the realities of life and the opportunities that basketball could bring with a little hard work.

"It made me more hungry, and made me want to get back to doing what I had to do to get back to playing basketball," he said at the time.

Robinson returned in January 2009 and was an integral part of UConn's Final Four team last season. This season he's gone from being a talented athlete who is learning to play the game to one of the best players in the country.

It looks like he's put the whole "commitment" issue behind him. He's also a much improved jump shooter, which was another big question mark for him going into the season.

Both he and Pondexter are athletic freaks that still making the transition from PF to SF, which is their long-term position in the NBA...but Pondexter has been more successful and productive on the court.

Still, if Pondexter is off the board you'd have to look hard at Robinson for what he does now (rebound, block shots, play D) and what he could do in the future with more development of his perimeter game.

Could he be the "long 3" Pop has coveted for so many years?

mountainballer
04-20-2010, 06:16 PM
I also don't think that the suspension and the maturity issues are a problem any more.
I still ask myself, if he could be the right player. there are some points that are definitely concerns.
for example:
how can it be, that a player that athletic goes to the line only 3.3 times per 40 minutes?
(to compare: Pondexter 7.8, Hayward 7.3, James 6.8, George 5.5)
that's also a reason why his overall scoring efficiency is much lower.
(Pondexter 1.50 PPS, James 1.46, Hayward 1.53, George 1.34)
his APG (1.0) is poor and compared to TOs (2.3) it looks even worse.

ballhandling and passing are still raw (despite 4 years of college ball in one of the best programms in the country) and he looks much better suited for an uptempo team. (which the Spurs are not)

don't get me wrong, his size and athleticism still makes him an intriguing player (defensive potentail might be the highest of all candidates).
but overall I just don't think he is the right one.

benefactor
04-20-2010, 06:23 PM
I also don't think that the suspension and the maturity issues are a problem any more.
I still ask myself, if he could be the right player. there are some points that are definitely concerns.
for example:
how can it be, that a player that athletic goes to the line only 3.3 times per 40 minutes?
(to compare: Pondexter 7.8, Hayward 7.3, James 6.8, George 5.5)
that's also a reason why his overall scoring efficiency is much lower.
(Pondexter 1.50 PPS, James 1.46, Hayward 1.53, George 1.34)
his APG (1.0) is poor and compared to TOs (2.3) it looks even worse.

ballhandling and passing are still raw (despite 4 years of college ball in one of the best programms in the country) and he looks much better suited for an uptempo team. (which the Spurs are not)

don't get me wrong, his size and athleticism still makes him an intriguing player (defensive potentail might be the highest of all candidates).
but overall I just don't think he is the right one.
My thoughts exactly. When one looks at a player like Pondexter who has rounded himself into a pretty complete basketball player over his college career and you look at Robinson who still has some outstanding issues its a pretty easy choice...especially when considering that the Spurs need a player that is close as possible to NBA ready.

hsxvvd
04-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Low basketball IQ = Not a Spurs guy.

I certainly hope we don't draft him. He has the physical characterists we need, but he would simply never work. As is much the problem with the type of player we need and the positions were drafting at. If there ever was a player with the physical gift of Robinson and a half decent brain he'd be snapped up in the lottery.

Unless... he's stashed away in IUPUI...

rayray2k8
05-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Holy shit, have ya'll even seen this guy play??
The guy is a freak!

SenorSpur
05-10-2010, 10:33 PM
We all know the Spurs love players with demonstrated high character. Based on the previous "red flags", I doubt the Spurs would take a chance on him.

DesignatedT
05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
please no to this guy. james gist all over again.

Mr. Body
05-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Not to crucify the guy, but someone with two daughters already in college doesn't sound like the greatest endorsement of his judgment.

SenorSpur
05-16-2010, 07:26 AM
I know there have been comments swirling about regarding with Stanley Robinson's character and such, however I found this recent assessment from ESPN's Chad Ford very interesting. Ford closely observed him during Day 2 of a recent Las Vegas pre-draft training and workouts for top prospects:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=5188254

1. Stanley Robinson and Devin Ebanks remain enigmatic.

Robinson is every bit the athlete we thought he was in college. He's super bouncy, runs the floor like a guard and finishes strong at the rim. He also showed some of that inconsistency we saw at UConn. He'd drill five shots in a row and then throw up a couple of air balls. He was clearly distracted Tuesday (more on that later). But on Day 2 he played with much more confidence.

5. Stanley Robinson is good guy.

Finally, an anecdote -- one of my favorites in the past 15 years of covering the draft.

On Tuesday, Robinson really struggled. His nerves got the best of him when I walked into the gym, and in an effort to impress, he ended up pressing too hard and didn't look great.

Robinson, if you remember, lost his confidence at the end of his sophomore season at UConn. He left the team for a little bit and worked in a steel yard. Finally, coach Jim Calhoun rescued him, and Robinson went on to turn his career around during his junior season. Robinson said, "Coach Calhoun taught me how to be a man. I'll forever be grateful for that."

On Wednesday morning, Robinson grabbed me just before I was going to interview him. He stuck out his hand for a handshake and said, "Mr. Ford. I'm Stanley Robinson. I just want to apologize for yesterday. I played terribly. I was trying to impress you and, well, you saw what happened."

In all my years of doing this, I've never had a prospect apologize for a lousy performance. I found out later that Robinson had stayed up much of the night, worrying about how he had played. I was taken aback. I didn't really know what to say. But then something occurred to me.

"Did you see the Celtics-Cavs game last night?" I asked.

Robinson nodded.

"LeBron James was awful," I said. "I'm not sure why exactly. I'm not sure if it was an injury, or the pressure, or something else going on in his life. We don't know. But here's what I'm thinking. If LeBron James, the best player in the world, can have a bad night, so can you. Shake it off and show me what you've got today."

Robinson grinned from ear to ear. We sat down and talked for another 10 minutes or so. He's a super-nice kid. He was very thoughtful talking about what happened during his career. The theme was clear: When he has confidence, there isn't much he can't do on the court.

I'm happy to report Robinson put that shaky Tuesday performance behind him Wednesday. He came out and played with confidence. He shot the ball with range. He attacked the basket. His team -- Sherron Collins, Lin and himself -- went 7-1 in the 3-on-3 games. He looked like a lottery pick.

As I was pondering the experience on the way home, and in the midst of all the LeBron backlash that came after Game 5, it put things into perspective a bit for me. As a sportswriter, I've failed at times to see the humanity of the players I cover. I sometimes expect them not to have weaknesses, to perform like machines, to not make mistakes on and off the court. When they fail, I am disappointed, and on occasion overreact -- judging without having all the facts. I don't always give them the slack I'd give myself or any other normal human being I know.

Robinson reminded me Wednesday that pro athletes aren't that different from the rest of us. They have good days and bad days. They are proud when they succeed. Beat themselves up when they fail. But unlike us, they put themselves out there on a public stage for the whole world to see.

I for one, as a fan of the game, am grateful that they do. That they put themselves out there in the pursuit of greatness.

If one thing was clear from my time in Vegas it was this: Stanley Robinson is right -- Calhoun did teach him how to be a man.

DBMethos
05-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Cool story. :tu

stnick2261
05-16-2010, 10:17 AM
that is a cool story... and I'm starting to like the guy as a person... but how would he handle Pop yelling at him? Seems like he would excel in another team, but lose his confidence here and never get off the bench?

ChuckD
05-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Devin Brown was cut in 2002-2003 for just that same kind of shit, missing out on a ring that season.

Robinson is an option, but if he and George are both on the board, I'd rather select P George. They both shot about the same from beyond the arc last year, but George's number was a dip from 45% the previous year, and Robinson, who is two years older, struggled to raise his three point number from two years in the 20s.

SenorSpur
05-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Devin Brown was cut in 2002-2003 for just that same kind of shit, missing out on a ring that season.

Robinson is an option, but if he and George are both on the board, I'd rather select P George. They both shot about the same from beyond the arc last year, but George's number was a dip from 45% the previous year, and Robinson, who is two years older, struggled to raise his three point number from two years in the 20s.

Good Lord. One can only hope the Spurs will be in such a position on draft day. :angel

ChuckD
05-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Good Lord. One can only hope the Spurs will be in such a position on draft day. :angel

DX, one of the more respected mocks, has both available at #20. These aren't stars in the making. They're role players in the making.

angelbelow
05-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Definitely an interesting prospect but I doubt the Spurs FO go after him just for his previous offcourt issues. Even if he claims they are behind him, there just simply might be better players still on board. If we do draft him and he works out... could be a very fine reward.

Btw he looks like James Gist.

DesignatedT
05-16-2010, 03:34 PM
rather have henry, anderson, george or hayward before this guy.

SenorSpur
05-16-2010, 05:49 PM
rather have henry, anderson, george or hayward before this guy.

Hayward isn't the least bit athletic and not a good defender. Remember the Spurs need an athletic SF who can shoot, penetrate and defend.

yavozerb
05-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Hayward isn't the least bit athletic and not a good defender. Remember the Spurs need an athletic SF who can shoot, penetrate and defend.

You do realize we do not draft till #20, right?

Mr. Body
05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Good luck to him, but a guy with shaky confidence is not someone we need.

SenorSpur
05-16-2010, 06:37 PM
You do realize we do not draft till #20, right?

Of course I do. Yet that doesn't necessarily mean that ALL athletic SFs will be snapped up by the time the Spurs select. Besides it's the 20th pick - not 30th.

yavozerb
05-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Of course I do. Yet that doesn't necessarily mean that ALL athletic SFs will be snapped up by the time the Spurs select. Besides it's the 20th pick - not 30th.

I would be happy with a long sf who can simply shoot at this point...Defense and driving ability would be an extra plus, the spurs simply need someone off the bench (that is probably all your gonna get at #20 is a role player) who can shoot at the sf position.

benefactor
05-16-2010, 10:50 PM
What Hayward lacks in athleticism he more than makes up for in IQ.

Libri
05-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Some Highlights

-Fk5DqNS5mo
EOYaKj3atpY
vn4g-F_JxRQ
yjREKGtRdZA

Bruno
05-19-2010, 09:04 AM
DX has him at #19 while nbadraft has him at #35. :downspin:

DesignatedT
05-19-2010, 01:37 PM
that guy is a straight up athlete. not 1 highliht of anything other than a dunk though.

yavozerb
05-19-2010, 03:11 PM
As soon as he develops some range on his jumpshot I will be the first in line to endorse this kid, until then pass..

mountainballer
05-19-2010, 03:59 PM
IMO this guy has the most bust potential of all the discussed SF projects.

MaNu4Tres
05-19-2010, 04:26 PM
IMO this guy has the most bust potential of all the discussed SF projects.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Really? Hmmm...doesn't really seem like a spurs pick though

Biggems
05-19-2010, 09:16 PM
What I saw in the highlights that I like
1. He runs the floor hard
2. He knows how to finish at the basket
3. He can jump out of the gym
4. He has quick hops (he can jump and rejump very quickly)
5. He does a great job with weakside shot blocking
6. He has good form on his FTs

What I didnt like from the videos
1. No jumpshot highlights
2. No perimeter defense highlights

SenorSpur
05-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Robinson scares me too. He's uber-athletic, but I don't see enough other tools in his game. It's true they need a SF with athleticism, but also one that at least has a passable perimeter shot. I just don't see the Spurs taking a flyer on him.

benefactor
05-19-2010, 10:44 PM
“They run like deer, jump like deer and think like deer.”

Biggems
05-19-2010, 10:48 PM
if by the grace of God he fell to us in the 2nd round, by all means take him in a heartbeat....but he is just not the guy I spend our 1st rounder on.

DesignatedT
05-19-2010, 11:01 PM
the next james gist

Russ
05-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Just saw him on the live NBA Combine show on ESPNU -- the Spurs don't want this guy. Another James White.

TheProfessor
05-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Just saw him on the live NBA Combine show on ESPNU -- the Spurs don't want this guy. Another James White.
Haven't been able to watch - any thoughts on other players at the combine?

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Twitter: (http://twitter.com/varner48MoH/status/14375070985)

Stanley Robinson on his role in the NBA: "Whatever the coach tells me." Somewhat cliche. But then he added a sincere, "No, seriously."

The Truth #6
05-20-2010, 10:00 PM
the next james gist

Anyone know what's up with Gist these days? He was bad in the last Summer camp, but that seemed to be in response to the Spurs signing Haislip. I'm curious if he's still on good terms with the Spurs. He was impressive his first summer camp. I doubt he's gotten worse but it's possible.

ace3g
05-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Stanley Robinson’s athleticism stood out as one of this year’s true physical specimens. Ball handling looked terrible on the 3-2, 2-1 drill losing the ball but then regaining it by diving to the floor.

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-day-1

Spurs Brazil
06-21-2010, 02:25 PM
20. Stanley Robinson
F. Connecticut

In terms of all-around game and potential to be more than marginally above average, I wouldn't rank Robinson in the top-30 of this class, but he has a couple specialized skills that makes him a great fit for Gregg Popovich's system.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_feature/1670/20100620/2010_nba_mock_draft_version_40/#ixzz0rW8SmeTi