Quincy Pondexter

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/quincypondexter.jpg

Height: 6' 6"
Weight: 220 lbs
Birthday: 03/10/1988 (21 Years Old)
Current: SF/PF
NBA: SF/PF
Possible: SF/PF

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Quincy-Pondexter-1122/)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/quincy-pondexter)
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=31658)

kbrury
03-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I think a lot of people are overlooking this guy, I believe he would be a great pick for the spurs.

kbrury
03-05-2010, 12:39 AM
34 points, 10 rebounds, and 6 assists against Oregon today.

pad300
03-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Definitely has some game. He's also demonstrating some shooting capability, which he can hopefully build on; 39% from 3 isn't bad.

benefactor
03-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I am not fully emmersed in scouting yet, but if I was forced to pick an early favorite for my first round pick wish list I would take this kid. He looks to have the most complete game of all the current SF prospects. There is a good chance his stock will rise after workouts though...putting him out of reach for our pick.

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 01:29 PM
ESPN NBA draft page compares him to Gerald Wallace and I think it fits. Youth, athleticism and sheer tenacity...this guy has it all. Obviously he'd need to continue improving his ball-handling and perimeter shooting, but I definitely like the idea of having him in a Spurs uni.

kbrury
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I am not fully emmersed in scouting yet, but if I was forced to pick an early favorite for my first round pick wish list I would take this kid. He looks to have the most complete game of all the current SF prospects. There is a good chance his stock will rise after workouts though...putting him out of reach for our pick.

I share the same opinion, being at Washington who has had a so-so year he's been under the radar. Once workouts begin his stock will probably take him out of our reach like you said, hopefully not though.

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I think two or three SFs come off the board before Pondexter...

Johnson, Aminu, Robinson.

I'd also say that Ebanks (upside) is a possibility to go before Quincy. Would be great for the Spurs if I was right.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Yup, love this guy's potential. Would be a great mid-first round pickup.

AFBlue
03-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Yup, love this guy's potential. Would be a great mid-first round pickup.

With as bad as Jefferson has been, the Spurs need a guy to come in (a la Blair) and mix things up on the wing. Pondexter may not have the prettiest game, but he's incredibly effective at what he does.

It's extremely early in the process, but this guy has to be my front-runner right now.

mountainballer
03-17-2010, 10:38 AM
sign me up for the Pondexter bandwagon. i really didn't realize how much he has improved this season. and the guy is fast, wow. this and his body type reminds me more about a young James Posey than G.Wallace.
I still think the Spurs should go for a big considering the big man pool, but I now would rank Pondexter on top of my (realistic) SF list.

btw. I'm curious about his measurement numbers. he might be one of those who "win" there. should show a good wingspan and a good standing reach (neck looks short. shoulders high. wouldn't be surprised if he measured like a typical 6'8'' guy with something like a 8'10'' standing reach)

lurker23
03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
sign me up for the Pondexter bandwagon. i really didn't realize how much he has improved this season. and the guy is fast, wow. this and his body type reminds me more about a young James Posey than G.Wallace.
I still think the Spurs should go for a big considering the big man pool, but I now would rank Pondexter on top of my (realistic) SF list.

Agreed, he's really come into his own this year. I follow Washington basketball pretty closely, and I wasn't horribly impressed with him as a pro prospect a year or two ago, but when the spotlight turned to him, he really stepped up.

Other than his scoring this year, the thing that has really impressed me is his rebounding. Obviously his rates are likely to go down some in the NBA, with taller competition and playing the PF position a lot less, but he seems to have a good nose for the ball off the rim, which would be a real asset for a SF in the NBA.

btw. I'm curious about his measurement numbers. he might be one of those who "win" there. should show a good wingspan and a good standing reach (neck looks short. shoulders high. wouldn't be surprised if he measured like a typical 6'8'' guy with something like a 8'10'' standing reach)

Those should be interesting. I agree that he probably has a fairly decent wingspan. Given that, and the fact that his defense has been very good this year, he could be just the type of guy the Spurs should be interested in.

AFBlue
03-17-2010, 04:31 PM
What's not to like about this guy...

He hustles, he defends, he rebounds, he "plays big" and he actually is big for a wing prospect.

I haven't seen too many games (really only a few clips), so can anyone tell me if he's got a projectable perimeter game? How is his jumpshot...fluid or unorthodox? Dribbling?

kbrury
03-17-2010, 05:11 PM

He hustles, he defends, he rebounds, he "plays big" and he actually is big for a wing prospect.

I haven't seen too many games (really only a few clips), so can anyone tell me if he's got a projectable perimeter game? How is his jumpshot...fluid or unorthodox? Dribbling?

Updated Scouting report from DX today http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Quincy-Pondexter-1122/

yavozerb
03-17-2010, 05:14 PM

He wont be around for the spurs to pick, thats what..

pad300
03-17-2010, 05:27 PM
He wont be around for the spurs to pick, thats what..

Draftexpress currently has him at 23
NBAdraft.net at 33
http://collegehoopsupdate.com/html/mock_nba_draft_2010.php at 24
http://nbadraftguru.blogspot.com/ at 30

lots of other examples out there...

lurker23
03-17-2010, 05:29 PM

He seems to do most of his damage from mid-range and inward, and though he can hit three pointers (39%), he doesn't rely on it a ton; so, his perimeter game has potential, but will have to be developed more in the future. His jump shot has changed/improved dramatically over the past few years, and is in fairly good shape at this point. It is fluid/smooth and fairly consistent; the only unorthodox part of it is how high he releases the ball, which helps him get his shot off with a hand in his face, but it may need to be tweaked a little to become slightly more textbook if the coaches choose to do so. He said in interviews earlier this year that he worked a lot over the offseason with Ryan Appleby (former UW sharpshooter), and the major change was making his release further forward and slightly in front of him, as opposed to "behind his forehead" before. There aren't a lot of good clips of him online, but here's a decent one where you can see his shot a few times:

ieuZLXWrJJM

He does a lot of his work off the dribble, and is a solid ball-handler. Nothing spectacular or fancy, but in-control, and turning the ball over infrequently. He uses this solid dribble well in his drives to the basket. (Going back to his perimeter potential, he's much more of a driving/motion/fade-away shooter than a set shooter, so that will have to be developed.)

Another reason the Spurs might like him is that he seems to be an intelligent and humble guy. Here's a good interview with him:

YsljnGPlou4

AFBlue
03-17-2010, 11:46 PM
ieuZLXWrJJM

Thanks for the clip! :toast

Yeah, I can see why yavozerb thinks he's not going to be around when the Spurs pick. He's got the tools, the athleticism and apparently the desire to improve.

The only "knock" I think teams will have is that there are younger, potentially higher-upside wings available. Then again, teams could really value his experience and think it'll translate into quicker production.

The truth is, projecting where someone will go is tough enough on the night of the draft, let alone 3 months early. Still...he's definitely one to keep an eye on.

mountainballer
03-18-2010, 05:58 AM
I'm pretty sure he will be available at #20.
it's mostly because of the senior thing. teams hesitate more and more to use lottery picks on seniors. even if they are obviously late bloomers like Pondexter.
the other argument might be, that especially the weaker and the average teams are set on the SF or combo forward spot. Spurs desperately need and upgrade in the athletic department, but this doesn't mean the team that pick ahead have the same needs.
(and if there is such a team, they will rather go with Robinson IMO, who is very similar but is significantly taller and also a year younger. or Wesley Johnson or Aminu, if one of them falls out of the top 10)

and yeah, gotta like this guy..
kkAvqEtGeuE

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the interviews. :tu

He seems like a wonderful young man, real Spurs material.

benefactor
03-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Dude just went clutch on Marquette.

kbrury
03-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Wow

mountainballer
03-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Dude just went clutch on Marquette.

not just clutch. 18points, 11 rebounds, 2 blocks. and this game winning shot was amazing. stock up.
I'm pretty sure they will also beat New Mexico. Pondexter is the perfect match up for UNM's best player Hobson. Pondexter could once more become the player of the game.

lurker23
03-19-2010, 08:47 AM
not just clutch. 18points, 11 rebounds, 2 blocks. and this game winning shot was amazing. stock up.
I'm pretty sure they will also beat New Mexico. Pondexter is the perfect match up for UNM's best player Hobson. Pondexter could once more become the player of the game.

And that was after a pretty poor 1st half, where I believe he started 1 for 7 from the field. Showed a lot of heart out there, and certainly wasn't afraid to take that last shot. (After the game, UW coach Lorenzo Romar said he didn't take a time-out before the last possession because he had the ball in Pondexter's hands, and that's where he wanted it.)

mountainballer
03-20-2010, 06:35 PM
looks as if the Huskies will in fact get an easy win over the Lobos. up by 19 in the 2nd half.
Pondexter is playing well.

timtonymanu
03-20-2010, 06:53 PM
no way Pondexter falls to us now.

mountainballer
03-20-2010, 07:03 PM
wait. it's not that he already carried them to the final four or more. his stock is rising, but I don't think he is out of our region.

mountainballer
03-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Pondexter 18 points (7-12). good game overall.

kbrury
03-20-2010, 07:28 PM
no way Pondexter falls to us now.

Ok

mountainballer
03-21-2010, 09:09 AM
why are you guys so sure and almost eager that he isn't available at #20?
he is good, but he isn't Evan Turner.
DX has him at #23
nbadraft.net at #33
collegehoopsupdate.com at #24
mynbadraft.com at #26
nba-draft.com at #20
hoopsworld.com at #26
hoopshype.com at #23

MaNu4Tres
03-21-2010, 02:10 PM
sign me up

kbrury
03-21-2010, 02:36 PM
why are you guys so sure and almost eager that he isn't available at #20?
he is good, but he isn't Evan Turner.
DX has him at #23
nbadraft.net at #33
collegehoopsupdate.com at #24
mynbadraft.com at #26
nba-draft.com at #20
hoopsworld.com at #26
hoopshype.com at #23

Oh I agree with you, just wanted to make that one guy feel better about himself. :downspin:

timtonymanu
03-22-2010, 02:55 AM
Oh I agree with you, just wanted to make that one guy feel better about himself. :downspin:

if you're referring to me how does that make me feel better about myself? It's good if I'm wrong.

Chieflion
03-22-2010, 09:55 AM
It's not about where these websites have him ranked, it about who is willing to take him at their pick. Sure he isn't worth a top 20 pick in most people's eyes, but if the Rockets like him enough for pick 14 then they'll take him.

I know it is just an analogy, but the Rockets will most likely take a big like Whiteside. I don't think there is a way Pondexter jumps into the top 20, unless he makes out like Terrence Williams.

mountainballer
03-22-2010, 10:03 AM
It's not about where these websites have him ranked, it about who is willing to take him at their pick. Sure he isn't worth a top 20 pick in most people's eyes, but if the Rockets like him enough for pick 14 then they'll take him.

which goes for about any player in any draft, doesn't it?

and yes, mocks on websites don't prove much, but at least they give an idea about the region where a player is drafted. good sites (like DX) do have some experience where to rank a player and they of course talk to scouts and experts to get informations how teams rank players.
at least the mocks help to prevent people from permanently suggesting we should either draft Turner or Wall.

mountainballer
03-22-2010, 10:11 AM
I know it is just an analogy, but the Rockets will most likely take a big like Whiteside. I don't think there is a way Pondexter jumps into the top 20, unless he makes out like Terrence Williams.

I think Pondexter could climb up to about 15 (at best), especially if some players go back to school. (Davis, Monroe, Henry, Whiteside, Aminu,)
I'm sure teams will like him a lot as a humble person and high character guy.

Chieflion
03-22-2010, 10:29 AM
I think Pondexter could climb up to about 15 (at best), especially if some players go back to school. (Davis, Monroe, Henry, Whiteside, Aminu,)
I'm sure teams will like him a lot as a humble person and high character guy.

That may be true. But his draft stock takes a huge hit because of his age and being a late bloomer. He could also go as low as early 2nd rounder. I see him getting picked at 24 or something. I don't think Xavier Henry goes back to school though. He is the best SG you can get in this draft excluding Turner mostly due to the lack of depth and he has legit size as an SG unlike guys like Warren who are 6 foot 4. I hope Aminu declares. He is going top 10 in the mocks, can't see him going back to school. Whiteside could go back to school, like Thabeet did, definitely the wildcard of the draft.

AFBlue
03-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Scouts and GMs already know he's a "gamer" and his physical tools will be played up in workouts. The question is whether he can show some semblence of a smooth perimeter game. As I recall, that is what led Al Thornton to be selected higher than expected.

Hopefully he shows to be more of a project and falls to the Spurs...wishful thinking.

Ditty
03-23-2010, 01:59 AM
ill take this guy 1st wish he was a year or two younger though but like his play

mountainballer
03-26-2010, 03:36 AM
ok, not exactly the most impressive game by Pondexter against West Virginia to end a 4 years college career.
maybe this is also good news. if he had become one of those tournament heros, he might in fact have skyrocket the board and wouldn't be available at #20.

benefactor
03-26-2010, 05:56 AM
I thought the exact same thing. In fact, I had been hoping Washington would slip up at some point before the final four for that reason. :)

tomtom
03-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Sad for my beloved Huskies but hopefully he'll end up in Portland or San Antonio

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-27-2010, 01:28 AM
BTW, SPURSOWNTEXAS, if that is your girlfriend in your sig then you are a lucky man. She is sneaky hot. ;)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-27-2010, 01:47 AM
This is the guy I want for us, no doubt about it. He has a nice game, has shown that he can get it done in the clutch, and he's clearly got great character as a human being. I want to cheer for him as a Spur. :tu

Quincy comes on at about the 1:25 mark:

yc4ugPF4YrI

timtonymanu
03-28-2010, 04:44 AM
I really hope Pondexter falls to this team or that the front office chooses him as an option. I really like this guy.

If the Spurs can get Pondexter, I would more better about our future.
Hill-Malik-Pondexter-Blair :hat

Libri
03-29-2010, 10:56 PM
From DraftExpress

Defensively, Pondexter has continued his great play all season, showing outstanding versatility in man-to-man defense, good fundamentals in the post and on the perimeter, while also showing very good rotational awareness, being a vocal leader for the Huskies’ defense. He’s not the biggest or strongest player you’ll find, as definitely projects as a small forward defensively in the NBA, having nearly ideal physical tools otherwise for that role, but also possessing the versatility to defend multiple positions, along with a high level of focus and effort.I like to read this part. It looks like he has a lot of potential defensively.

mountainballer
03-30-2010, 08:07 AM
From DraftExpress
I like to read this part. It looks like he has a lot of potential defensively.

there are some similarities to Ron Artest, when he entered the league.
so best case for Pondexter could be Artest with brain.

lurker23
03-31-2010, 02:20 AM
there are some similarities to Ron Artest, when he entered the league.
so best case for Pondexter could be Artest with brain.

Every single team in the league would sell their first round pick for Artest with a brain. I don't know if Pondexter's ceiling is quite that high (at least, I can't see him being quite as strong or physical as Artest), but one can only hope.

mountainballer
03-31-2010, 11:12 AM
Every single team in the league would sell their first round pick for Artest with a brain. I don't know if Pondexter's ceiling is quite that high (at least, I can't see him being quite as strong or physical as Artest), but one can only hope.

agree about the ceiling. I just wanted to remind people about Artest when he came into the league 1999. if I remember right, he was about the player Pondexter is right now. (ok, Artest was younger)

mountainballer
04-09-2010, 06:06 PM
nice detail about Pondexters basketball background. his father Roscoe was drafted by the Celtics in 1974, but never made the roster. he played in Italy and Argentina. his uncle Clifford was drafted by the Bulls and played for them for 3 years.
http://1.2.3.11/bmi/graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/03/25/sports/ncaabasketball/25pondexter2/25pondexter2-popup.jpg

mountainballer
05-03-2010, 11:58 AM
BUMP.
can't believe this fell down 10 pages.
ok, no spectacular news here.
Pondexter hired Bob Myers.
Myers compares him to Gerald Wallace and Desmond Mason. let's hope he is right with the 1st one. (ok, Mason in his Seattle and early Bucks days wasn't bad either)
and I like this picture:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3623/3364912078_5786ef33f4.jpg

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 12:35 PM
A player willing to eat a referee right on the court is undeniably attractive.

He's not a sexy pick at the moment but could be a smart one.

Bruno
05-04-2010, 04:14 AM
nbadraft has him at #32 and DX has him at#29. Some players can still withdraw from the draft and/or Pondexter can rise but he seems to be quite a reach at #20 for the moment.

A SF without a reliable 3 point shoot also doesn't sound as a that good fit for Spurs.

mountainballer
05-04-2010, 06:24 AM
nbadraft had George Hill at #39 in their final mock and DX had him at #44. (DX/Givony didn't add him to the mock before mid of June 2008)
I don't think we can talk about reaching at this point, when Spurs were that successful with reaching for Hill two years ago.
about his shooting. if his shot looked that bad, I would agree. but it doesn't look bad at all. and he has improved his midrange shot a lot over the last 2 seasons and he has a reputation to be a very hard worker, so I see hope that he can develop a somehow reliable 3pt shot.
he was compared to James Posey and Posey for example didn't shoot many 3s as well before his final college year. and when Posey came into the league he was pretty average from downtown, but became better to the point that he was a pretty good 3pt shooter.

benefactor
05-04-2010, 07:09 AM
nbadraft had George Hill at #39 in their final mock and DX had him at #44. (DX/Givony didn't add him to the mock before mid of June 2008)
I don't think we can talk about reaching at this point, when Spurs were that successful with reaching for Hill two years ago.
about his shooting. if his shot looked that bad, I would agree. but it doesn't look bad at all. and he has improved his midrange shot a lot over the last 2 seasons and he has a reputation to be a very hard worker, so I see hope that he can develop a somehow reliable 3pt shot.
he was compared to James Posey and Posey for example didn't shoot many 3s as well before his final college year. and when Posey came into the league he was pretty average from downtown, but became better to the point that he was a pretty good 3pt shooter.
Indeed. Going from 68% to 82% from the stripe is a testament to this also. There is also this:

According to Synergy Sports Technology, he’s scoring 0.94 Points per Shot on his jumpers, an impressive number given that almost all of his shots are coming inside the arc, with nearly half of his shots being off the dribble with a hand in his face.
Those two things lead me to believe he should be able to extend his range. TBQH, it's the only thing he really needs to work hard on as he is already an NBA level ball handler, defender and can create his own shot(while turning the ball over at a very low rate). The Spurs desperately need a player like this that can come off the bench and take some pressure off of Manu and Parker on the perimeter.

Darkwaters
05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Those two things lead me to believe he should be able to extend his range. TBQH, it's the only thing he really needs to work hard on as he is already an NBA level ball handler, defender and can create his own shot(while turning the ball over at a very low rate). The Spurs desperately need a player like this that can come off the bench and take some pressure off of Manu and Parker on the perimeter.

Agreed 100%. I think Pondexter is our guy. He might be missing a consistent 3 point shot, but hes got everything else. And if the plan really is to bring in Nando De Colo, a very fluid shooter, then this point might be moot anyways.

yavozerb
05-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Agreed 100%. I think Pondexter is our guy. He might be missing a consistent 3 point shot, but hes got everything else. And if the plan really is to bring in Nando De Colo, a very fluid shooter, then this point might be moot anyways.

Is Pondexter really an upgrade over hairston or Gee? He may be an inch taller but I almost feel his skillset is about the same as Hairston's and if that is the case we really do not need pondexter. I really hope one of the main focus's of the coming offseason is too upgrade perimeter shooting.

Bruno
05-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Pondexter is a college senior. It's likely that he has still worked a lot on his 3 point shooting without success. Maybe he will become a good shooter one day but it's not a good sign that he isn't at this stage of his career.

Given Spurs roster, spacing from the SF spot will be really important. Spurs could decided not to draft some players like Pondexter or Ebanks because of that.

mountainballer
05-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Given Spurs roster, spacing from the SF spot will be really important. Spurs could decided not to draft some players like Pondexter or Ebanks because of that.

that's true of course. but isn't perimeter defense as important as 3pt shooting?(probably a more urgent need than the 3pt shooting) considering the defensive abilities, Pondexter clearly brings in most of all SF prospects. at 20 we won't get a player without any flaws. otherwise this player would be a lottery player anyhow.

coyotes_geek
05-04-2010, 10:45 AM
SF's need to be able to hit the 3 on this team and given the Spurs closing championship window I doubt the Spurs are interested in waiting around to see if Pondexter can develop one. Without a J that needs to be respected defenders will just back way off of him which not only takes away his opportunities to drive, it also puts that defender in a far better position to help double on Duncan or cut off drives into the paint by other players.

I don't think Pondexter is very high on the Spurs wish list.

Bruno
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
that's true of course. but isn't perimeter defense as important as 3pt shooting?(probably a more urgent need than the 3pt shooting) considering the defensive abilities, Pondexter clearly brings in most of all SF prospects. at 20 we won't get a player without any flaws. otherwise this player would be a lottery player anyhow.

Players at #20 will have some flaws but all flaws won't hurt Spurs equally. For example Paul Geaorge's flaws (ballhandling, passivity...) would hurt way less Spurs than a player with a poor jump shoot.

If Spurs really like Pondexter, they will of course draft him but I'm quite sure that his lack of range is somethign that will significantly lower his chances to be drafted by the Spurs.

mountainballer
05-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I agree with all who say 3pt shooting is an improtant quality for a SF, who wants to play for the Spurs.
I disagree with all who say it is the very quality to qualify or disqualify for a Spurs career.
2 summers ago the Spurs wanted to acquire Maggette, who of course then would have become their starting SF. well, Maggette isn't exactly a prime example for competent 3pt shooter. he is more of the opposite. so, if soemone without a relieable 3pt shot was good enough to be candidate for a major role for this team, why couldn't another player, who's role would be a minor role, at least be an option, if he provides a big amount of many other typical Spurs qualities? (defense, toughness, focus, effort, clutchness, work ethic, leadership, scoring efficiency, play within his abilities, low turnover ratio)

and about his jump shot. during the summer 2009, Pondexter changed his technique. worked hard for the whole summer on this. his shot became significantly better. it's just not true that he doesn't have a jump shot. he has a pretty good jump shot from mid range.

Darkwaters
05-05-2010, 01:45 AM
I'm all for the idea of trading the 20 & 49 to get the 25 and 28. Then draft Pondexter at 25 and BPA at 28.

BronxCowboy
05-05-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm all for the idea of trading the 20 & 49 to get the 25 and 28. Then draft Pondexter at 25 and BPA at 28.

Not a bad idea at all. Would probably eliminate any real chance of lottery-type talents falling to the Spurs (if there ever was one :lol), but #28 picks in recent years have done as well as #20 picks. Not sure I would use those two picks on Pondexter and BPA(?) though.

Mr. Body
05-05-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm less of a fan of trading down. It seems #20 is a good spot to spread a net for a guy falling just outside the lottery. This year is no exception to the rule of several project big guys getting taken, and this year it will be guys like Whiteside and Orton. Of course they may have in place a trigger so that if they're player is/is not available they trade down, but teams just in front of them may already have grabbed that; i.e. multi picks may have multiple bidders.

In all, I'd be surprised to see the Spurs trade down. Their tactics are generally finesse-oriented and not scatter-shot. They target a very small number of players, and if those players aren't available, they trade completely out. Blair wasn't ideal for them, IMO, but they couldn't pass when he fell.

coyotes_geek
05-05-2010, 09:07 AM
I agree with all who say 3pt shooting is an improtant quality for a SF, who wants to play for the Spurs.
I disagree with all who say it is the very quality to qualify or disqualify for a Spurs career.
2 summers ago the Spurs wanted to acquire Maggette, who of course then would have become their starting SF. well, Maggette isn't exactly a prime example for competent 3pt shooter. he is more of the opposite. so, if soemone without a relieable 3pt shot was good enough to be candidate for a major role for this team, why couldn't another player, who's role would be a minor role, at least be an option, if he provides a big amount of many other typical Spurs qualities? (defense, toughness, focus, effort, clutchness, work ethic, leadership, scoring efficiency, play within his abilities, low turnover ratio)

and about his jump shot. during the summer 2009, Pondexter changed his technique. worked hard for the whole summer on this. his shot became significantly better. it's just not true that he doesn't have a jump shot. he has a pretty good jump shot from mid range.

Important to note though that 2 summers ago Maggette was coming off a year in which he shot 38% on his 3's. Maggette isn't a great 3 point shooter, but he still needs to be respected out there.

I think it's also important to look at who the Spurs have taken looks at over the years at the SF position, be it draft, free agents or d-league callups. The history suggests that the Spurs are far more willing to overlook defensive ability (as long as the effort is there) than they are willing to overlook the lack of a 3 point shot. The guys the Spurs brought in who are good defenders could shoot the 3 (Bowen, Udoka, Bogans). The guys the Spurs brought in who weren't good defenders could shoot the 3 (Finley, Barry, Devin Brown). The guys the Spurs take looks at from the D-league could shoot the 3 (Tolliver, Desmond Farmer, Jeremy Richardson). IMHO that's some pretty telling evidence that the Spurs do indeed look at the 3 point threat as a dealbreaker.

I'm also skeptical about Poindexter's shot improving because his 3 point stats as a senior are basically identical to what his stats were as a freshman. That being said, Poindexter will get his chance to prove himself. The Spurs aren't going to be the only team in the league wondering if this guy can hit the 3, so via the draft camps and workouts he's going to get several opportunities to show that he can hit that shot. Word will get out whether or not he's better at it than what his college statistics suggest. But if he doesn't shoot the 3 well in those workouts & camps, I can't see the Spurs taking him over one of the other SF types who is a 3 point threat.

AFBlue
05-07-2010, 04:37 PM
nbadraft has him at #32 and DX has him at#29. Some players can still withdraw from the draft and/or Pondexter can rise but he seems to be quite a reach at #20 for the moment.

A SF without a reliable 3 point shoot also doesn't sound as a that good fit for Spurs.

His draft stock could rise with workouts if he can show consistency with a perimeter jumper, but if his projected value stays at the bottom of the first round, the Spurs may still be able to trade back and nab him if they like him.

As far as "fit" is concerned, the Spurs thrive off penetration to the basket so adding a slasher isn't a bad thing. The only issue for me is that Hairston seemingly brings the same skill set at the same position.

With the Spurs struggling from 3pt range, it's entirely possible they make a point to target shooters first and foremost in the draft and free agency. If that's the case, I can see them passing on him in favor of a guy like Hayward, Babbitt, George or Anderson.

yavozerb
05-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Is Pondexter really an upgrade over hairston or Gee? He may be an inch taller but I almost feel his skillset is about the same as Hairston's and if that is the case we really do not need pondexter. I really hope one of the main focus's of the coming offseason is too upgrade perimeter shooting.

His draft stock could rise with workouts if he can show consistency with a perimeter jumper, but if his projected value stays at the bottom of the first round, the Spurs may still be able to trade back and nab him if they like him.

As far as "fit" is concerned, the Spurs thrive off penetration to the basket so adding a slasher isn't a bad thing. The only issue for me is that Hairston seemingly brings the same skill set at the same position.

With the Spurs struggling from 3pt range, it's entirely possible they make a point to target shooters first and foremost in the draft and free agency. If that's the case, I can see them passing on him in favor of a guy like Hayward, Babbitt, George or Anderson.

Agree 100%..Spurs are set up perfectly to nab some shooters this offseason with hairston and gee already here for the summer.

Biggems
05-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Quincy P. or Stanley Robinson...both are available at 20....who would you take and why?

Truckules
05-08-2010, 12:15 PM
If the Spurs were going to either draft Quincy or Stanley, and I could choice between them? Easily Quimcy, because I don't like Robinson's hair. Plus I think Pondexter is the better player, but not as athletic.

I agree. Robinson has more upside because of his athleticism and size, but he was extremely inconsistent in college. I could see him turning into a poor man's Michael Beasley in the NBA.

AFBlue
05-08-2010, 09:52 PM
I agree. Robinson has more upside because of his athleticism and size, but he was extremely inconsistent in college. I could see him turning into a poor man's Michael Beasley in the NBA.

I know this is the Pondexter thread, but I had to comment on your Robinson comparison...

Michael Beasley absolutely dominated college basketball on his way to becoming the second pick in the draft. His biggest strength is his offensive versatility and aggression.

Robinson flashed some perimeter skills, but there's A LOT of projection to him being a poor-man's Michael Beasley.

I think his upside is probably Julian Wright.

SenorSpur
05-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Pondexter is a college senior. It's likely that he has still worked a lot on his 3 point shooting without success. Maybe he will become a good shooter one day but it's not a good sign that he isn't at this stage of his career.

Agreed. I liked what I"ve read about this guy. Sounds like sn explosive athlete with limited shooting range, but with fantastic defensive potential. The Spurs already have one SF (RJ) with very limited range. They don't need, and likely don't want, another one.

DesignatedT
05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
I would rather James Anderson or Xavier Henry over Pondexter or stanley robinson. Outside shooting should be a pretty high priority right now and Pondexter and Robinson shoot it pretty poorly.

benefactor
05-11-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm not sure where this idea that Pondexter can't shoot is coming from. He may or may not(very small sample size) have 3pt range, but he has a very good mid-range jumper.

mountainballer
05-11-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm not sure where this idea that Pondexter can't shoot is coming from. He may or may not(very small sample size) have 3pt range, but he has a very good mid-range jumper.

point.
a small number of attempts doesn't prove the inability to shoot. it's often a result of better, high % options this player offers. (drive, draw fouls, shot inside).
none will claim he was a great shooter or could ever be. but he is not automatically bad, just because he doesn't shoot often.

JonNOKC
05-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Quincy P. or Stanley Robinson...both are available at 20....who would you take and why?

comes down to do the FO want the palyers who could contribute now (QP) or the high potential guy (SR) ... Poindexter is much more NBA ready but Stanley is a freak athlete with great size....of course you also could look at worst case scenario - for QP I think worst case is a solid bench guy who plays in NBA for 7+ yrs - Stanley on the other hand could be a guy that just never reaches his potential and fustrates fan base before finally bowing out to Europe or some minor league.

Tough choice - if I like Temple/Hairston enough and assume Jefferson is around next year then I gamble and pick Stanley

dbestpro
05-11-2010, 11:15 AM
This guy is a reach and is no better than Hairston or Gee who may not even make next years team.

kbrury
05-11-2010, 03:38 PM
This guy is a reach and is no better than Hairston or Gee who may not even make next years team.

:lol He's better than Hairston and Gee.

AFBlue
05-11-2010, 06:19 PM
:lol He's better than Hairston and Gee.

Probably...but the point has to be made that they all share the same "game". It's going to be an uphill battle for Pondexter to convince the Spurs to take him when they have two young, athletic prospects already in the system to play his same role.

Personally I think he'll be a good pro, but if the Spurs have an opportunity to draft a shooter and keep either of Hairston/Gee to fill the athletic slasher/defender role they're probably more likely to go that route.

kbrury
05-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Probably...but the point has to be made that they all share the same "game". It's going to be an uphill battle for Pondexter to convince the Spurs to take him when they have two young, athletic prospects already in the system to play his same role.

Personally I think he'll be a good pro, but if the Spurs have an opportunity to draft a shooter and keep either of Hairston/Gee to fill the athletic slasher/defender role they're probably more likely to go that route.

Oh I agree with you. The Spurs lack perimeter shooters as we have seen recently and that's why now I prefer Babbit and others over Pondexter.

benefactor
05-11-2010, 06:42 PM

Agreed. I like Pondexter and I think he will be a better pro player than Hairston or Gee but the Spurs are probably going to be looking for a player that is already a pretty good 3pt shooter if they draft a SF. I still think that Pondexter's shooting development over his college career will allow him to increase his range, but that is speculation at this point and the Spurs will want someone that is already proven from distance.

Manufan909
05-16-2010, 02:24 AM
I'm pretty sure he will be available at #20.
it's mostly because of the senior thing. teams hesitate more and more to use lottery picks on seniors. even if they are obviously late bloomers like Pondexter.
the other argument might be, that especially the weaker and the average teams are set on the SF or combo forward spot. Spurs desperately need and upgrade in the athletic department, but this doesn't mean the team that pick ahead have the same needs.
(and if there is such a team, they will rather go with Robinson IMO, who is very similar but is significantly taller and also a year younger. or Wesley Johnson or Aminu, if one of them falls out of the top 10)

and yeah, gotta like this guy..
kkAvqEtGeuE

:downspin: Thriller. This is dude seems crazy awesome. I like how he replied to what his dance partner said.:toast

And I really wish I had cable to follow some of these guys a bit.

lurker23
05-20-2010, 06:32 PM
DraftExpress on Twitter (http://twitter.com/DraftExpress)

Quincy Pondexter skipped NBA combine. Agent being coy about whereabouts. Similar to Jon Brockman last year. Has a promise in 1st round?

-----

Odd stuff going on. Don't know that the whole thing with Brockman worked out too well for him, as he didn't get picked until 38 last year by Portland, then was traded draft night to Sacramento. Ended up getting one year minimum guaranteed.

There was some speculation that Spurs were part of the Brockman mix last year, and I wouldn't have been surprised to see them pick him if Blair wasn't inexplicably on the board at 37. However, it doesn't really seem like the Spurs to promise anything this early into the process. They're an organization that preaches patience, keeping options open, and due diligence. They also seem to put a lot of stock on the workouts they do at their own facilities. If it's true that Pondexter has some sort of guarantee this early (and I'm not sure that he does), I doubt it's from San Antonio.

EmantheSpursFan
05-20-2010, 07:15 PM
"Two most surprising no shows Quincy Pondexter & Jon Scheyer. Scheyer has an excuse. He has mono per his agent."

http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider

lurker23
05-20-2010, 08:40 PM
SpearsNBAYahoo on Twitter (http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo) (Marc Spears)

One rumor out of Chicago predraft camp is Heat enamored by Washington forward Quincy Pondexter.

-----

For what it's worth, the Heat have the 18th pick.

benefactor
05-20-2010, 08:50 PM
If he didn't come there is a good chance he has a promise. It doesn't make much sense for him to skip otherwise.

yavozerb
05-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Maybe he had some better things to do this week..:lol

kkAvqEtGeuE

mountainballer
05-21-2010, 02:41 AM
SpearsNBAYahoo on Twitter (http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo) (Marc Spears)

One rumor out of Chicago predraft camp is Heat enamored by Washington forward Quincy Pondexter.

-----

For what it's worth, the Heat have the 18th pick.

pretty high considering where the most mocks rank him. but it makes sense looking at the Heat's roster. Wright is likely gone, Diawara as well, Jones will likely be waived to create cap space, Q-Rich likely not re signed because the cap space is needed for a premium FA, likely a big (Bosh, Amare, Boozer)
the Heat have good reasons to focus on the most NBA ready SF they can get. he might be forced to play big minutes right away.

DBMethos
05-21-2010, 08:50 AM
That's good that the Heat want him. Moves one more quality player down to #20...

Bruno
05-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Pondexter is projected as a very late first or early second round pick.

Unless mock drafts are wrong, I don't see the point to make him a promise at #18 that soon in the draft process while there are almost no chance that a team draft him before that spot. If a great player slips during the draft day, Heat are screwed.

If Pondexter has a promise, it's likely from a team with a late first.

dbestpro
05-21-2010, 10:21 AM
As long as the Spurs are not the ones who made the promise. I see him as a wasted first round pick for the Spurs when there are most likely going to be better options that fit our needs.

lurker23
05-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Perhaps his absence at the combine wasn't quite as clandestine as previously reported:

"Quincy Pondexter was also not in Chicago for the combine, after reportedly hyper-extending his finger in a workout last week. His decision not to attend the combine means he will not conduct interviews with NBA teams, meet with the media, get measured or be examined by NBA doctors. The same goes for Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Williams. Pondexter can begin working out for teams as soon as next week reportedly."

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2010-NBA-Combine-Storylines-3472

Edit: :lol, poor Ellio*t Williams.

BronxCowboy
05-29-2010, 05:06 PM
So with all of the guys looking really good at the combine, Pondexter could well be available and be the best SF left when the Spurs pick. Do you guys think it impacts his stock that he wasn't able to participate in so much at the combine, esp. the shooting drills?

benefactor
05-30-2010, 06:00 PM
It might have raised his stock some if he participated, but I don't think it hurt his stock that he didn't. He will still likely go somewhere in the early 20's.

I still like this kid, but I have to concede and and say that he is probably no longer at the very top of my list. It's now a toss up between George and Babbitt, with me leaning closer to Babbitt from an overall fit standpoint.

Make no mistake though...I'd still be very happy with Pondexter if those two are gone(and most likely they will be). He would undoubtedly be the most complete player left of all the options.

Darkwaters
05-30-2010, 10:59 PM
It might have raised his stock some if he participated, but I don't think it hurt his stock that he didn't. He will still likely go somewhere in the early 20's.

I still like this kid, but I have to concede and and say that he is probably no longer at the very top of my list. It's now a toss up between George and Babbitt, with me leaning closer to Babbitt from an overall fit standpoint.

Make no mistake though...I'd still be very happy with Pondexter if those two are gone(and most likely they will be). He would undoubtedly be the most complete player left of all the options.

At this point I tend to agree. Babbitt was always a darkhorse for me, but hes coming into the limelight recently. And George is still incredibly desirable.

Pondexter would be a solid consolation prize though if they're both gone.

DesignatedT
05-31-2010, 01:15 AM
if george,henry,babbit,anderson are gone by 20 id rather use the pick on dominique jones IMO. Not very impressed with Pondexter.

mountainballer
05-31-2010, 01:36 PM
If we could grab a second first rounder late I would say ok but this guys reminds me alot of James White.;

? James White????
what on this earth can remind someone of James White when watching (watching? really?) Pondexter?

yavozerb
05-31-2010, 01:43 PM
? James White????
what on this earth can remind someone of James White when watching (watching? really?) Pondexter?

:lol....Thats probably the worst comparison of all the draftees I have seen yet.

lurker23
05-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Agreed, he's no James White(!).

I really like Q-Pon, but I can see why a lot of guys ahead of him are a "sexier" pick than he is. He doesn't have as much "upside" as many others, but if you're looking for a role player SF who can play some defense, get some boards, and provide energy and hard work, then Pondexter is a fairly safe pick.

I realize that at #20, you're perhaps hoping to get a guy who barely slipped out of the lottery and could be starter material some day. Because of this, I can see why Pondexter might slip down into the mid-to-late 20s, or even the early 2nd round. But I really do think that even if he never becomes a star, he'll stick around the league longer than several guys picked before him.

The Truth #6
05-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Was he a theater major? Now I'm convinced we are going to pick him.

Darkwaters
06-01-2010, 02:18 AM
If we could grab a second first rounder late I would say ok but this guys reminds me alot of James White.;

James White!

AFBlue
06-13-2010, 02:26 AM
From DX SF situational statistics...

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-This-Yearas-Small-Forward-Crop-3503

•Quincy Pondexter ranks as the third most efficient overall scorer on our rankings at 1.066 PPP. He was the second ranked isolation scorer at 0.972 PPP, and scored roughly 1.3 PPP off of 4.4 possessions per-game off of basket cuts and offensive rebounds. He proves well above average as a finisher, and his 42% shooting on pull up jump shots ranks him fourth in this group.

Gets points off iso and cuts to the rim, decent pull up j...sounds like a good RJ replacement at 1/15th the cost.

Chieflion
06-13-2010, 02:34 AM
I don't really like how we need to reach for Pondexter to get him at this point. He looks to even slip into the 2nd round.

lurker23
06-13-2010, 02:38 AM
I may have already said this in this thread (I really don't feel like going back and reading), but if the Spurs had their typical #25-30 pick in the draft, I would put pretty decent money on Pondexter being the pick. He just seems like a great pick for the system, and a solid role player. (As I know I've said before, less upside, but likely more NBA longevity). However, at #20, he might be a bit of reach, especially since it's likely that someone currently projected in the 10-15 range will drop. However, if the Spurs see Pondexter and fall in love with him, he can relatively easily be had by trading down from #20 or trading up from #49.

AFBlue
06-13-2010, 02:42 AM
I don't really like how we need to reach for Pondexter to get him at this point. He looks to even slip into the 2nd round.

Not sure if he's the right guy at 20, but it depends who is on the board. I'm convinced Q will be one of the better SFs to come out of this draft, and IMO he's an upgrade over either Hairston or Gee.

If the Spurs are unable to trade up and miss out on Henry, George, Hayward or Babbitt, I'd definitely be okay with them "reaching" for Pondexter.

lurker23
06-13-2010, 02:46 AM
A couple of interesting tidbits from the Washington D.C. media:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/03/AR2010060304739.html

The Washington Wizards continued to evaluate NBA hopefuls on Thursday during a fourth straight day of workouts at Verizon Center, and several second-tier forwards were among those who participated in the approximately hour-long session on the auxiliary court.

With the Wizards expected to select point guard John Wall at No. 1 overall to join Gilbert Arenas in the back court, the team figures to perhaps fortify the front line with its other two picks, at 30th and 35th overall. That could be good news for either Quincy Pondexter or Stanley Robinson, the two highest-rated small forwards who worked out for Washington as a part of a six-player group Coach Flip Saunders called the best this week.

Pondexter, a first-team all-Pacific 10 selection from the University of Washington, is a projected late first-rounder and probably will be gone by the time the Wizards make their second pick. The way Pondexter sees it though, mock drafts predicting where he'll be taken are not exactly reliable.

"Those mock drafts are inaccurate sometimes, you know," said Pondexter, who is 6 feet 6 and averaged 19.3 points and 7.4 rebounds per game as a senior. "From the NFL draft to the NBA draft, you could look at those mock drafts, print them out, and on the day of the draft they are completely different. I would love to play for the Wizards. It would be a great dream come true, but at the same time, who knows what's going to happen."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/Cheers-and-Jeers/Some-draft-predictions-are-worth-mocking-95585804.html

Quincy Pondexter worked out for the Wizards on Thursday -- and then showed up in a mock draft projected as the 30th overall pick in the NBA Draft to Washington.

What a coincidence.

It has been like that all week, with one late-first round, early-second round prospect after another parading through Verizon Center -- Greivis Vasquez, Jarvis Varnado, Keith "Tiny" Gallon, Devin Ebanks, Stanley Robinson and Pondexter -- and getting connected with the Wizards on the interwebs.

"Those mock drafts are inaccurate sometimes, " reminded the mature and poised 6-foot-6 Pondexter, who off the court might have been the most impressive. He was better than Robinson, who had as much trouble with his saggy shorts as he did with Wizards coach Flip Saunders' final shooting drill -- and that was a lot.

"I would love to play for the Wizards," Pondexter said. "But who knows what's going to happen."

Not the mock drafts, that's for sure.

Chieflion
06-13-2010, 02:47 AM
Not sure if he's the right guy at 20, but it depends who is on the board. I'm convinced Q will be one of the better SFs to come out of this draft, and IMO he's an upgrade over either Hairston or Gee.

If the Spurs are unable to trade up and miss out on Henry, George, Hayward or Babbitt, I'd definitely be okay with them "reaching" for Pondexter.

If this is the case, I want Anderson over Pondexter for sure. That is my opinion. I am sure there are many posters here who have hyped Pondexter a little and are sticking with their guns. I don't think many GMs are enamored with a guy like Pondexter due to age, potential and upside, with the addition of him missing out on the combine, measurements and athletic tests. He did not get to impress scouts, coaches and GMs as a whole to prove he is better than his peers at the SF position at the combine, where teams usually look at the prospects as a whole to get a feel of what they can do for their team.

AFBlue
06-13-2010, 02:51 AM
I may have already said this in this thread (I really don't feel like going back and reading), but if the Spurs had their typical #25-30 pick in the draft, I would put pretty decent money on Pondexter being the pick. He just seems like a great pick for the system, and a solid role player. (As I know I've said before, less upside, but likely more NBA longevity). However, at #20, he might be a bit of reach, especially since it's likely that someone currently projected in the 10-15 range will drop. However, if the Spurs see Pondexter and fall in love with him, he can relatively easily be had by trading down from #20 or trading up from #49.

Agreed about acquiring picks (trade down, trade up or straight up pay cash) in the late first round. The Grizzlies, T-Wolves and Thunder are all teams with multiple picks that are unlikely to need/want all of them.

Of those, the Grizzlies remain the most intriguing. They could be trade partners up (#12 for #20 and future first) or back (#20 and #49 for #25 and #28).

I'll still say that I wouldn't mind Q being the selection if those others were off the board, but if it worked out that they could draft him later I wouldn't be upset at all.

Chieflion
06-13-2010, 02:57 AM
After reading the part about Pondexter and the Wizards, I think that pick has a high chance of possibility. The Wizards need a sense of maturity on their team, Pondexter should help with that cause and they also fill their rotation spot at SF. It looks like it is a flawless fit and I almost feel sorry that a team could spoil it all in the 1st round for the Wizards, luckily for them, they will have John Wall.

Fixed for fucking up U.S geography.

lurker23
06-13-2010, 03:00 AM
After reading the part about Pondexter and the Wizards, I think that pick has a high chance of possibility as Pondexter played 4 years in college for Washington, so he has to be a hometown favorite or something. The Wizards need a sense of maturity on their team, Pondexter should help with that cause and they also fill their rotation spot at SF. It looks like it is a flawless fit and I almost feel sorry that a team could spoil it all in the 1st round for the Wizards, luckily for them, they will have John Wall.

Can't remember if you're from the United States or not, but...

University of Washington = Seattle, west coast of U.S.
Washington Wizards = Washington, D.C., east coast of U.S.

Chieflion
06-13-2010, 03:03 AM
Can't remember if you're from the United States or not, but...

University of Washington = Seattle, west coast of U.S.
Washington Wizards = Washington, D.C., east coast of U.S.

Oh shit, my bad.

AFBlue
After reading the part about Pondexter and the Wizards, I think that pick has a high chance of possibility as Pondexter played 4 years in college for Washington, so he has to be a hometown favorite or something. The Wizards need a sense of maturity on their team, Pondexter should help with that cause and they also fill their rotation spot at SF. It looks like it is a flawless fit and I almost feel sorry that a team could spoil it all in the 1st round for the Wizards, luckily for them, they will have John Wall.

Q played ball at UW, which is in the state of Washington. The Wizards play in Washington D.C. So there's no "hometown" angle.

About missing the combine, I think it probably had a negative effect on the number of workouts and interviews from teams, but I'm not sure it lowered his stock any.

The individual workouts and interviews is where teams will get a feel for his development as a player and how he is as a person. It seems as if he carries himself in a very professional manner.

Blackjack
Yeah, I was just about to help Chieflion out. He's from Singapore, IIRC. I'm sure he's much more knowledgeable about the States than most of us are vice-versa, so I think we can let him slide. :lol

lurker23
06-13-2010, 03:06 AM
Yeah, I was just about to help Chieflion out. He's from Singapore, IIRC. I'm sure he's much more knowledgeable about the States than most of us are vice-versa, so I think we can let him slide. :lol

Yeah, no problems here. :toast It's actually a mistake people in the United States make on a regular basis. Kind of annoys me when Americans do it, considering I went to the University of Washington.

Chieflion
06-13-2010, 03:11 AM
Q played ball at UW, which is in the state of Washington. The Wizards play in Washington D.C. So there's no "hometown" angle.

About missing the combine, I think it probably had a negative effect on the number of workouts and interviews from teams, but I'm not sure it lowered his stock any.

The individual workouts and interviews is where teams will get a feel for his development as a player and how he is as a person. It seems as if he carries himself in a very professional manner.

Problem with the bolded part being that, if Pondexter had less interviews and individual workouts from another team, because they want to see Pondexter more after the combine, if he shows something intriguing, that increases Pondexter's chances of being picked in the 1st round. Unfortunately, the above scenarios didn't happen, and he didn't get to impress more teams than he should. The analogy here being that if you buy more lottery tickets with different sets of numbers (duh, who would buy the same numbers), you would have more chances to win the lottery, but you also have less chances of knowing which lottery ticket you are going to cash in on. So, considering that Pondexter went for less interviews and individual workouts, he is only going to impress a couple of teams. But he would sure know which team he would most likely get drafted by come draft night.

Chieflion
06-13-2010, 03:13 AM

Thanks for helping my pitiful weak Geography Asian ass out.

lurker23
06-13-2010, 03:17 AM
Thanks for helping my pitiful weak Geography Asian ass out.

No worries, mate. Americans are generally horrible at geography, by some combination of ignorance and arrogance. I'm bad at geography, but it's more so that my mind just doesn't process it well for some reason or another. Ironic, considering my profession requires decent geography as a secondary skill; I have to work quite hard at it.

SenorSpur
06-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, no problems here. :toast It's actually a mistake people in the United States make on a regular basis. Kind of annoys me when Americans do it, considering I went to the University of Washington.

People in the U.S. make that mistake more than we may realize.

Back to Pondexter, I thought he'd be a possible target of the Spurs, assuming the other SF types (George, Henry, Babbitt) are gone.

SenorSpur
06-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Im starting to warm up a bit on this guy, he has some ruff edges but I like the improvement he showed over the last 2 years. Im not sure hes worth taking at 20 but he is climbing into my first round mock.

How's his 3-pt stroke?

AFBlue
06-14-2010, 01:25 AM
How's his 3-pt stroke?

The short answer is that it's not really a part of his game at this point...he attempted less than 1 1/2 per game. He shows the ability to hit the mid-range shot consistently and his form is good, so the potential to increase his range appears to be there.

benefactor
06-14-2010, 08:08 AM
As I said earlier I've softened on Pondexter a little bit, but I'd still be pretty happy with the Spurs taking him.

For me it comes down to what player can in theory make the most impact the soonest despite their flaws. Even with some uncertainty surrounding his 3pt shot, he is still less flawed than many players that the Spurs could take at 20. I feel strongly that this years first round pick should be someone that has developed their all around game enough to play now to help keep the Big 3's minutes down during the season. Pondexter, IMO, is much closer to being that type of player on both ends of the floor than most of the other players that will be available.

benefactor
06-14-2010, 10:09 PM
From a Memphis column today:

Quincy Pondexter (Washington): I didn't have Pondexter on my list of Grizzlies draft prospects based on the idea that the team can't afford to add another wing player who isn't a shooter, but based on his strong workout with the team, I'll definitely be adding Pondexter to the list on the next update. A sturdy 6'6" swingman (built similarly to Sam Young), Pondexter was solid in pretty much every aspect of the workout and really surprised with his dynamite mid-range shooting. I'm not sure if he can stretch that shot out to NBA three-point range but he looked okay from that distance in drills. Pondexter duplicates a lot of what the roster already has in the form of Young and Ronnie Brewer, but if you're looking for someone in the late first who's a reasonably safe bet to be able to play in the NBA, teams will have a hard time doing better than Pondexter.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/BeyondtheArc/archives/2010/06/14/workout-report-xavier-henry-luke-babbitt-born-ready

mountainballer
06-15-2010, 03:46 AM
I really wonder where Pondexter would be ranked if he didn't carry this can't shoot stigma. in every other aspect he is one of the better if not top 5 SF prospects.
(and btw. the 3pt shooting of Aminu isn't in fact better than Pondexters. they just don't belabor this point all the time)

but one thing confuses me. the Spurs didn't invite him yet. (or we didn't hear about it?). the did invite Ebanks though. can anyone understand that you invite Ebanks, but not Pondexter?

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 03:50 AM
I really wonder where Pondexter would be ranked if he didn't carry this can't shoot stigma. in every other aspect he is one of the better if not top 5 SF prospects.
(and btw. the 3pt shooting of Aminu isn't in fact better than Pondexters. they just don't belabor this point all the time)

but one thing confuses me. the Spurs didn't invite him yet. (or we didn't hear about it?). the did invite Ebanks though. can anyone understand that you invite Ebanks, but not Pondexter?

Ebanks is younger than Pondexter, so he has more perceived upside. In addition, people would want to interview Ebanks more to understand his off-court problems and to confirm whether his character is suitable for their team. With Pondexter, he doesn't have that perceived upside or the perceived off-court problems and is quite mature so teams generally know what they have in Pondexter.

mountainballer
06-15-2010, 04:16 AM
all true. but isn't it still confusing a bit? seems as if he is the only SF prospect in their draft range they didn't at least have a look at. (Hobson and Robinson they saw at the group workout in NJ and James they had last year).
I hope that we just didn't hear about a work out. otherwise I would be very confused why they don't bring him in. outside the 3pt shooting issues Pondexter looks as much Spurs material as any player in this draft. (defense, work ethic, maturity, toughness, clutchness, role player potential, scoring efficiency etc.)

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 04:23 AM
all true. but isn't it still confusing a bit? seems as if he is the only SF prospect in their draft range they didn't at least have a look at. (Hobson and Robinson they saw at the group workout in NJ and James they had last year).
I hope that we just didn't hear about a work out. otherwise I would be very confused why they don't bring him in. outside the 3pt shooting issues Pondexter looks as much Spurs material as any player in this draft. (defense, work ethic, maturity, toughness, clutchness, role player potential, scoring efficiency etc.)

Pondexter didn't go to the combine, didn't have that many, if at all, individual workouts. I believe that is partly his choice as well as his agent's recommendation.

mountainballer
06-15-2010, 04:25 AM
Pondexter didn't go to the combine, didn't have that many, if at all, individual workouts. I believe that is partly his choice as well as his agent's recommendation.

just checked. could only find some informations about Pondexter working out for Wizards and Heat. (there were rumors about a Heat promise)
he was out for some weeks because of his finger injury. (some think it's one of those "injuries"). could easily be that Spurs had invited him, but he canceled the work out. (like also Williams did with many teams)

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 04:37 AM
just checked. could only find some informations about Pondexter working out for Wizards and Heat. (there were rumors about a Heat promise)
he was out for some weeks because of his finger injury. (some think it's one of those "injuries"). could easily be that Spurs had invited him, but he canceled the work out. (like also Williams did with many teams)

If Pondexter jumps all the way to 18, which I don't see, at all plausible, someone else will fall. Frankly speaking, no team in the 1st round would 100% draft Pondexter, who has a similar situation like Sam Young last year, who dropped into the 2nd round because of his age. Sam Young was 23 or 24, Pondexter is 22. Both being similar players aside, both players also had no off-court problems and were mature and humble people. And surprisingly shocking, Sam Young, who everyone expected Cleveland to draft, dropped to the early 2nd round, and the Cavs drafted Eyenga, or whoever the hell he is. Pondexter also looks to be drafted by the Wizards, and may fall into the 2nd round because there are teams intrigued by guys like Ryan Richards.

mountainballer
06-15-2010, 05:44 AM
If Pondexter jumps all the way to 18, which I don't see, at all plausible, someone else will fall. Frankly speaking, no team in the 1st round would 100% draft Pondexter, who has a similar situation like Sam Young last year, who dropped into the 2nd round because of his age. Sam Young was 23 or 24, Pondexter is 22. Both being similar players aside, both players also had no off-court problems and were mature and humble people. And surprisingly shocking, Sam Young, who everyone expected Cleveland to draft, dropped to the early 2nd round, and the Cavs drafted Eyenga, or whoever the hell he is. Pondexter also looks to be drafted by the Wizards, and may fall into the 2nd round because there are teams intrigued by guys like Ryan Richards.

Heat might as well work on trade down options to turn #18 into 2 late 1st rounders. they would have even more reasons, considering how many roster spots they will have to fill.
the situation of Young and Pondexter are indeed somehow comparable.
(btw. age: Young was already 24 last year. this was for sure the major issue)
the fact that Young did pretty well in his rookie season (outside his poor 3pt shooting) should help Pondexter. it once more proved that those guys at least can come in and provide solid back up minutes immediately.

duncan228
06-22-2010, 06:26 PM
NBA Draft: The First Senior Taken (http://dimemag.com/2010/06/nba-draft-the-first-senior-taken/)
By Daniel Marks

Every year now it seems that more and more players are leaving school early for the riches and fame that go along with playing in the NBA. Quincy Pondexter is not one of those guys (http://dimemag.com/2010/06/dime-nba-mock-draft-changes-in-the-second-half-of-lottery/). The 6-8 Pondexter stayed for four years at the University of Washington under coach Lorenzo Romar, playing the most career games in UW history, and becoming a likely first-round pick in the process.

The lengthy swingman hails from Fresno, Calif., where he went to high school with Brook and Robin Lopez. While Pondexter may have been overshadowed a bit by the twin seven footers in high school, he has made a name for himself as a smart player who can be a key piece on a winning team.

Pondexter’s biggest strength is his basketball I.Q. He shot 52.8 percent this year on his way to averaging 19.3 points per game, up 7.2 points from his junior year average. When talking to him, one gets the impression of a very mature, well-polished young man who will be a model citizen on and off the court. In addition to his intelligence, Pondexter is an incredibly gifted player in transition. He loves to run the break, and is a good finisher around the basket. Pondexter’s length and strength also give him the flexibility to defend multiple positions and be disruptive in the passing lanes. While Pondexter’s strengths outnumber his weaknesses, his big weakness is his lack of great ball-handling skills. He had 1.9 turnovers per game last season, which he will need to cut down on in the League. And owing to his limited ball-handling skills, he can be a bit uncomfortable playing on the perimeter.

Pondexter projects to be a late-first round pick, and a team should jump on him. He is a high quality guy who I had the privilege of interviewing, and will be a positive influence in any NBA locker room. His four-year career at Washington makes him more NBA ready than many players in this Draft, and teams like the Grizzlies, Nets, and Timberwolves should all consider him with their late-first round picks.

j57ZoN8I2bM

benefactor
06-22-2010, 06:41 PM
I still like him at 20 better than all the project bigs or SG's that will be available.

timvp
06-23-2010, 03:58 AM
The Spurs were supposedly high on Sam Young last year. Pondexter is basically this year's version of Young. I question his outside shooting and his upside is relatively limited ... but Pondexter would have a chance of helping right away.

Hairston vs. Pondexter would be an exciting camp competition.

lurker23
06-23-2010, 04:08 AM
The Spurs were supposedly high on Sam Young last year. Pondexter is basically this year's version of Young. I question his outside shooting and his upside is relatively limited ... but Pondexter would have a chance of helping right away.

Hairston vs. Pondexter would be an exciting camp competition.

I really feel that Pondexter is better than Hairston, though Malik is a year older and has a couple years in the system, so like you said it could be a fun battle.

I wish we had measurements for Q-Pon, especially since I feel he has some nice height and an even better wingspan. I still go back to a picture that mountainballer posted earlier in the summer that tells a lot of the story:

Jon Brockman - 2009
height without shoes: 6' 7"
height with shoes: 6' 8"

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09Cs6Bc67f6NS/340x.jpg

MaNu4Tres
05-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Bump.

Sure would have been nice to snag him over James Anderson.

benefactor
05-28-2013, 11:31 AM
bene right about that Pondexter

Fusternino
08-11-2019, 08:34 PM
Wow.

What could have been.

John B
08-11-2019, 09:02 PM
:lmao

timtonymanu
08-11-2019, 09:16 PM
He was solid before his injury and was a finished product when he came to the Spurs. Pretty much like James Anderson, his career went down the toilet after he got hurt.

benefactor
08-11-2019, 09:30 PM
He was solid before his injury and was a finished product when he came to the Spurs. Pretty much like James Anderson, his career went down the toilet after he got hurt.
The Spurs forum is full of faggot ass posters now. That's why I don't post up here much anymore like I used to back in the day. You could bump dozens of these draft prospect threads with takes saying this player or that player would be good based on potential. He didn't wind up being anything...who give a fuck? Bumping after the player doesn't pan out is retarded.

BackHome
08-12-2019, 08:10 AM
I like Poindexter not as a player but I think he would make a good assistant coach would like the Spurs to bring him on in some capacity.