PDA

View Full Version : No Splitter?

pressurez
02-23-2010, 10:01 AM
http://hoopshype.com/

http://www.noticiasdealava.com/2010/02/23/baskonia/el-madrid-abre-la-puja-por-splitter

urunobili
02-23-2010, 10:02 AM
lol :splitter

jason1301
02-23-2010, 10:03 AM
that's just sad if it happens....

Spurs Brazil
02-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Here we go...

ElNono
02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I'll translate the spanish article...

rjv
02-23-2010, 10:16 AM
it is still up to splitter. the article does indicate that "it will not be easy" (no sera facil) so it does mention that splitter still wants to play with the spurs and in the NBA.

Brazil
02-23-2010, 10:22 AM
there are already some conversations in the spurs think tank

Muser
02-23-2010, 10:44 AM
lol

ElNono
02-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Real Madrid start push for Splitter (http://www.noticiasdealava.com/2010/02/23/baskonia/el-madrid-abre-la-puja-por-splitter)
The Brazilian Center is the Ettore Messina's first option for next season

The team is ready to tempt the player with a superstar contract and Baskonia with an offer they can't refuse.
by DAVID ORTEGA

VITORIA. A team that handles budgets the size of banks can get anything they want. It can create a galaxy of players in just one summer, or attract to them the best players on the continent. Included those that have burning in their skin the NBA logo, like Tiago Splitter. The brazilian center, whose appearance against Khimki next Thursday is still undecided, is the new and primary target of a ball club that last Sunday saw how the ever powerful Barcelona went right through them like a bulldozer. According to we could learn, Real Madrid started to grease the wheels during this King's Cup to complete a transfer that could end up with the number five baskonista in Madrid by the end of the season, propelled by an Ettore Messina that's conscious that in the bigger desk in the Bernabeu there's a man willing to please him.

It won't be easy. The dream of playing in the best league in the world is still very important for Splitter, but his youth -he turned 25 in January- grants him an opportunity to delay two or three more seasons before he jumps the ocean to a franchise -the San Antonio Spurs- that has been adamant to have his services immediately. But Madrid is ready to start a fiery money fight so the best center in Europe can wear the white jersey alongside his friend Pablo Prigioni. And all because of the express desire of the italian coach, who has placed the name of the player from Joinville atop the list of reinforcements for his team. He did it a while ago, even before the final displayed that while the team can play great in batches -like they did against Bsokonia- it still lacking in interior presence. After spending countless money to compete against the catalan team, Florentino Perez now has to face the reality that his pupils have just been publicly humiliated in the BEC while they're barely standing in the Top 16.

The president of Real Madrid ended up missing out last summer on Ricky Rubio, the Cristiano Ronaldo of basketball, when he signed a 3,7 million euros contract with Barcelona. Even though basketball is not the biggest sport in the club, Perez would be willing to spend the money required to shake up the market and delay Splitter's arrival in the NBA. In exchange, Splitter would receive a contract that would clearly place him as the best Euroleague number five, with the exception of Nikola Pekovic. And it's precisely the ultra complete serbian player that could break the assault Madrid is attempting to get Splitter.

The Panathinaikos player still has one more year in his contract in Greece, but his future is getting closer and closer with the Minnesota Timberwolves who drafted him in 2008. If Pekovic finally packs up his bags and goes to the Minneapoils franchise, PAO has the brazilian also in their short list, even though in Athens they claim that another man from Belgrade, Aleks Maric, would be the one to replace Pekovic in the paint. Nevertheless, the Splitter soap opera is starting to take shape. Even thought the blue and red captain has a contract ending in 2012, his contract has a clause that establishes an early exit at the end of this season. If the destination is the NBA, then the amount to pay is about 1 million dollars. If he stays in Europe, that amount gets substantially higher. But for a man that pays 94 million euros for a soccer player, any amount that that's a single digit next to the word millions is really pocket change.

mexicanjunior
02-23-2010, 10:46 AM
I guess we will suck next year too then...

nkdlunch
02-23-2010, 10:49 AM
and the season keeps getting worse

mountainballer
02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
The president of Real Madrid ended up missing out last summer on Ricky Rubio, the Cristiano Ronaldo of basketball, when he signed a 3,7 million euros contract with Barcelona.

well, talking about exaggerations. I love Rubio and I'm sure he has a great future, but the Christiano Ronaldo of basketball would be Lebron these days.

ElNono
02-23-2010, 10:53 AM
well, talking about exaggerations. I love Rubio and I'm sure he has a great future, but the Christiano Ronaldo of basketball would be Lebron these days.

Right... :lol
This is Real Madrid we're talking about... exaggeration is the norm.
But then again, they have loads of money and they're not shy when it comes to spend it.
If the media sets up a campaign to get Splitter there, it's going to be tough to prevent them from offering stupid money.

nkdlunch
02-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Obviously they are talking about European basketball

Reeko_Htown
02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
It would be kinda funny because our pick Sergio Lull plays PG for Real Madrid.

dougp
02-23-2010, 11:05 AM
This is a fucking joke - there needs to be entries in the CBA stating for foreign players to join the draft, they will need to commit to an NBA team, along with stipulations. The team and player can come to an agreement, but if the team says, "You will be a member in two years," then that's what happens, not this kind of crap.

rjv
02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
i wonder if we even have any plans for di colo as well and what his future intentions may be. perhaps it would be best to bring him over ASAP as well before his value gets to be to steep.

SpurNation
02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
I was thinking about this a couple of days ago.

What if the Spurs have some sort of inside thought (knowledge) that Splitter is going to go for the money in Europe instead of play in the NBA?

It would make sense to look to draft out of the talent pool this summer if Splitter has any indication of staying in Europe. And in many ways with hindsight being 20/20...if Splitter is regarded as a player that would make immediate impact in the nba...why would the Spurs have opened the pocket book like they did in acquiring Jefferson instead of saving part of that salary to help insure getting Splitter?

I'm sure there's reason beyond my comprehension and knowledge of the situation. But on the surface...what good is it to have a highly touted and gifted player if you can't fiscally compete for their service? I would suspect RJ's contract some how has to be nulified in order to compete for Splitter's service.

Also...if the Spurs are in the know one way or the other or at least have a pretty good idea...maybe the best thing the organization can do at this point is play the draft game.

rjv
02-23-2010, 11:16 AM
I was thinking about this a couple of days ago.

What if the Spurs have some sort of inside thought (knowledge) that Splitter is going to go for the money in Europe instead of play in the NBA?

It would make sense to look to draft out of the talent pool this summer if Splitter has any indication of staying in Europe. And in many ways with hindsight being 20/20...if Splitter is regarded as a player that would make immediate impact in the nba...why would the Spurs have opened the pocket book like they did in acquiring Jefferson instead of saving part of that salary to help insure getting Splitter?

I'm sure there's reason beyond my comprehension and knowledge of the situation. But on the surface...what good is it to have a highly touted and gifted player if you can't fiscally compete for their service? I would suspect RJ's contract some how has to be nulified in order to compete for Splitter's service.

Also...if the Spurs are in the know one way or the other or at least have a pretty good idea...maybe the best thing the organization can do at this point is play the draft game.

the spurs plans all along have been to offer him the mid level exemption.

SenorSpur
02-23-2010, 11:16 AM
The shit just gets deeper regarding this guy.

Because of the Spurs sudden "about face" in their fiscal spending and the other economic issues affecting the NBA and its teams, the timing of this isn't good for the Spurs.

As I've said repeatedly, it was pointless for anyone (fan or front office) to consciously factor Spillter's into any future Spurs plans because the dude isn't here and there was no obvious indication that he would be.. This is just another indication as to how foolish it was/is for anyone to "put all your eggs" into that Brazilian basket.

Everyone wants to kick Ian Mahinmi "to the curb" before he's even been able to get regular minutes. Wohder if the Spurs would like a "do-over" on picking up the Ian option?

If all this is true, now where is the frontline help going to come from for Tim Duncan?

rayray2k8
02-23-2010, 11:26 AM
The spurs will have at least a MLE offer for him.
Get it done guys. :tu

TimDunkem
02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Get this guy in a Spurs uniform!
http://static.noticiasdealava.com/images/2010/02/23/import_7925914_11.jpg

02-23-2010, 11:36 AM
um isn't this a good thing? other teams actually want splitter enough to throw him a salary competitive with the NBA. if he was full of suck, no one in the right mind would do that especially with most of the europe teams in financial trouble.

BillMc
02-23-2010, 11:41 AM
um isn't this a good thing? other teams actually want splitter enough to throw him a salary competitive with the NBA. if he was full of suck, no one in the right mind would do that especially with most of the europe teams in financial trouble.

True, but it's only a good thing if we can actually get him to sign.

rayray2k8
02-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Get this guy in a Spurs uniform!
http://static.noticiasdealava.com/images/2010/02/23/import_7925914_11.jpg

savior?!:wow

kinda reminds me of reservoir dogs but without that ending. :lol

ElNono
02-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Actually, it could be a lot more than what the Spurs are willing to offer (MLE).

eyeh8u
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
what happens when this guy comes to the NBA and sucks ass

MrFundamental
02-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Actually, it could be a lot more than what the Spurs are willing to offer (MLE).
Aren't they also limited for the 1st year too, kind of like what Blair is making?

dbestpro
02-23-2010, 12:01 PM
This guy is gonna wait like Sabonis, when there is very little left in the tank and is just here for the snizzle of it.

BadOne
02-23-2010, 12:09 PM
So about how much is the MLE gonna be? Or is that something we'll have to wait on for the next CBA?

I hope we can land this guy. But above all that, I hope he's worth the trouble, because if not, everyone will question Pop and Buford's decision behind this one just like Ian. [Although, he gets very little opportunity...still a bust of a draft pick though IMO]

-BADONE

rascal
02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
The spurs can't wait for this guy. They have to get a center this summer.

There is no guarantee he won't be a bust even if he comes.

TJastal
02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
LOL Splitter.

LOL Yazoverb.

And to think we could have used him to get some value back, now the spurs don't even have that option.

Like I said before, it's a completely wasted pick now.

rascal
02-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Has anyone seen Splitter play? He isn't just another big white lanky stiff thats too slow for the nba and will be posterized frequently?

ulosturedge
02-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Now the Spurs have to up the ante again on another suspect player...A lose lose situation here. I wonder if they still pull the trigger on this one. It's hard to imagine Holt would pull the trigger again on overpaying a player after what happened this year. I think the only way Splitter ends up in a Spurs uniform now is if the FO believes they can actually move Jefferson's contract next year. And I don't see the FO paying Splitter hansomely as well as try and retain Manu. Things just getting worse wow. Everything is really pointing to blowing up the team and rebuilding now. Pretty sad.

SpurNation
02-23-2010, 12:24 PM
How do stats like these normally translate to nba production? If there is such a comparison or study.

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=CBY

wildbill2u
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Some of the Euro owers/teams are super rich and can spend whatever it takes to buy a player.

Apparently, the Euro opinion of Splitter is that he is the best 5 over there so it's not surprising some team would pay more than the Spurs to get him.

ElNono
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Aren't they also limited for the 1st year too, kind of like what Blair is making?

No. They can skip the rookie scale because it's been over 3 years since they drafted him. I believe that's the reason they can offer the MLE to him.
That said, they are indeed limited as far as the amount of money they're allowed to reimburse to the player for buying off his contract clause from his Euro club. Most of the time the players have to pay the buyout themselves, and use some other means to get the money back (IIRC, Scola used a shoe deal that Yao got him in order to do that).

ElNono
02-23-2010, 12:40 PM
I think what's going to happen if he gets offered more than the MLE or whatever portion of the MLE the Spurs were going to offer, then they'll shrug it off like last summer and basically say the same thing: "Good for him he got a good deal".
It has to bother RC that they're being used as leverage too...

TJastal
02-23-2010, 12:42 PM
I'd love to hear from Yazoverb about that 'secret deal' Pop made with Splitter, which supposedly was the reason for not picking up Ian's option.

:lmao

MrFundamental
02-23-2010, 12:44 PM
No. They can skip the rookie scale because it's been over 3 years since they drafted him. I believe that's the reason they can offer the MLE to him.
Gotcha, thanks.

That said, they are indeed limited as far as the amount of money they're allowed to reimburse to the player for buying off his contract clause from his Euro club.
Any idea how much that is or would that be if he gets resigned?

TFloss32
02-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Did anyone see the part of the article that said "it won't be easy" for Real Madrid and Ettore Messina to get Splitter? I'm not seeing where this article garners this kind of reaction. Maybe I just don't see Splitter as the "backstabber" many make him out to be.

The only reason I can see Splitter staying in Europe is he just simply wants more money. The first time around for the Spurs was difficult because Tau Ceramica's offer was far and away the better of the two (not the Spurs fault that they were handcuffed by the rookie pay scale) and he also wanted to be near his terminally ill sister who has since passed away. With the Euro weakening significantly and considering that the Spurs are now able to offer him the MLE and a concrete role on the team, I like our chances. The only thing that concerns me is there seems to be a lack of a contingency plan if Splitter does decide to stay in Europe.

02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
depends if the spurs want to offer the full MLE. in the article you translated, i don't see where it specifically mentions the team offering more than the MLE, just a vague references to a "high" amount.

doing some quick research, i found a 2008/2009 list that says the highest paid euroleague player makes about $6.8 million. giving the MLE to splitter would make him the top five paid players in the euroleague. safe to say, the spurs can offer a healthy amount of money to pry splitter away. before, the choice was obviously clear since he had to be paid the rookie scale as a late first round pick but now, the gap will be narrowed significantly. NBA also offers more security and the spurs can choose to offer a longer contract if needed. definitely potential for splitter to earn even more money if he performs well in the NBA. the NBA also offers better competition and challenge. before, splitter was chasing the money but with the gap narrowed and with the prospect of making even more money, better competition, and bigger crowds, splitter will have to heavily consider the spurs.

TimDunkem
02-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Did anyone see the part of the article that said "it won't be easy" for Real Madrid and Ettore Messina to get Splitter? I'm not seeing where this article garners this kind of reaction.

It wouldn't be SpursTalk if a few posters weren't overreacting or whining.

BillMc
02-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Does the possibility of a new CBA affect anything with Splitter? I am a complete idiot on the subject and admit it, but wouldn't it be in Splitter's interest to sign an NBA contract now, which will likely be higher and longer than it will be in a few years? The MLE might be reduced by a new CBA right? If he signs one more deal in Europe he may come into the NBA too late and have to take less money in 2 to 3 years.

Someone who is "wise" on the CBA issues please clarify for me. Many thanks.

Budkin
02-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Let's trade his rights to Houston then... for cash.

yavozerb
02-23-2010, 01:08 PM
This article is simply stating the obvious that as good a player splitter is and at only 25 years old, other european teams would be foolish not to go after him. Nothing more and nothing less.

stnick2261
02-23-2010, 01:09 PM
The article even states that it's Splitter's dream to play in the NBA (and I've never read otherwise other than in this forum). He remained overseas the past 2 years for 2 reasons:
1) to stay near his sick sister (she has since passed)
2) he was offered 4 times the rookie scale (which is still less than MLE)

Things to consider:
1) Other teams want him because he IS good
2) We can now offer him the MLE which is a current pay increase
3) He has a clause in his contract where he has a small buyout this summer if he comes to an NBA team... but a large buyout if he changes to a different Europe team (otherwises he finished up his final 2 years of his current contract)
4) He can join us this summer under the current CBA for MLE. He should know that if he delays at all anymore, he'll be under the new CBA and the MLE may not even be available to sign him (or severely reduced).

diego
02-23-2010, 01:09 PM
1/ cristiano ronaldo of basketball? is that supposed to be a good thing? :lol

2/ the nba buy out is about 1 million, and i believe the spurs can pay up to 300 or 350k- nowhere near as bad as the scola buyout.

3/ if you draft foreign players, you have to do your homework. star players wont come for rookie contracts. and i dont know if it really matters if we get him or not if pop is going to keep playing small ball.

TJastal
02-23-2010, 01:25 PM
This article is simply stating the obvious that as good a player splitter is and at only 25 years old, other european teams would be foolish not to go after him. Nothing more and nothing less.

Good thing Splitter and Pop made a secret deal huh? Vintage CIA Pop right there.

These other euro teams will be so surprised when Splitter turns them all down and signs with the spurs.

ulosturedge
02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Wouldn't the possible lock-out next season also weight on his decision to come to the NBA after this season?

Mr Bones
02-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Did anyone see the part of the article that said "it won't be easy" for Real Madrid and Ettore Messina to get Splitter? I'm not seeing where this article garners this kind of reaction. Maybe I just don't see Splitter as the "backstabber" many make him out to be.

The only reason I can see Splitter staying in Europe is he just simply wants more money. The first time around for the Spurs was difficult because Tau Ceramica's offer was far and away the better of the two (not the Spurs fault that they were handcuffed by the rookie pay scale) and he also wanted to be near his terminally ill sister who has since passed away. With the Euro weakening significantly and considering that the Spurs are now able to offer him the MLE and a concrete role on the team, I like our chances. The only thing that concerns me is there seems to be a lack of a contingency plan if Splitter does decide to stay in Europe.

:toastThanks for being the voice of reason in this thread.

ElNono
02-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Any idea how much that is or would that be if he gets resigned?

The CBA limits the buy out amount a club can pay to a foreign club to $500,000. (Here's an example from Ricky Rubio and the Wolves (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sk20090724a1.html))

ElNono
02-23-2010, 01:37 PM
doing some quick research, i found a 2008/2009 list that says the highest paid euroleague player makes about $6.8 million.

Is that euros or dollars?
And yes, ultimately it's up to Tiago.

02-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Is that euros or dollars?
And yes, ultimately it's up to Tiago.
i converted the euros into dollars.

MB20
02-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Let´s cross our fingers Real Madrid gets Pekovic instead.

Regarding the 6.8 million...those figures are usually after taxes.

ElNono
02-23-2010, 01:42 PM
i converted the euros into dollars.

Thanks...
Well, then MLE is at $5.8 million this season. I don't know how that's going to change next season. I'm fairly sure it probably is going to be lower in the next CBA, if there's a MLE at all. I think owners wanted to get rid of it.

LongtimeSpursFan
02-23-2010, 02:04 PM
The article even states that it's Splitter's dream to play in the NBA (and I've never read otherwise other than in this forum). He remained overseas the past 2 years for 2 reasons:
1) to stay near his sick sister (she has since passed)
2) he was offered 4 times the rookie scale (which is still less than MLE)

Things to consider:
1) Other teams want him because he IS good
2) We can now offer him the MLE which is a current pay increase
3) He has a clause in his contract where he has a small buyout this summer if he comes to an NBA team... but a large buyout if he changes to a different Europe team (otherwises he finished up his final 2 years of his current contract)
4) He can join us this summer under the current CBA for MLE. He should know that if he delays at all anymore, he'll be under the new CBA and the MLE may not even be available to sign him (or severely reduced).

Very good points. I strongly believe that he will be in a Spurs uniform next year. This guy is not a scrub player. He is going to make a big impact on our team and provide us with the solid big man to take us back to the top.

Sigz
02-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Splitter sucks.

I'd rather have Rasho and Nazr.

Penya
02-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Tiago's buyout for an European team is astronomic (it's not official, but it's said to be 8-10M€).
With that money and the money that they had to use to pay his salary, they'd spend about 14-16M€. And with that money they can sign 3 Euro stars. Doesn't make sense.

Tiago will be a Spur next year.

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't think this post changes much of anything.

We all knew that Splitter is one of, if not THE most valuable big man in Europe. So, it's not surprising that teams with deep pockets want to go after him.

As the article says, it all depends if Splitter ultimately wants to end up in the NBA. If he does, then this is the right time...when the Spurs have the $$ to make him a competitive offer to most Euro clubs and can guarantee him a pretty significant role.

I think this will be effectively communicated to him by the Spurs FO when they begin negotiating this summer.

Johnny RIngo
02-23-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't think Splitter's the savior that everyone thinks he is but anything is better than watching Bonner start or Pop revert to smallball lineups.

NFGIII
02-23-2010, 02:19 PM
I think what's going to happen if he gets offered more than the MLE or whatever portion of the MLE the Spurs were going to offer, then they'll shrug it off like last summer and basically say the same thing: "Good for him he got a good deal".
It has to bother RC that they're being used as leverage too...

Not much they can say if they still are hoping that he may come over later. Pretty much is a no win situation for the Spurs. And what would Holt have to say about this? If I'm an owner it would be hard for me to watch my FO draft foreign players only to have they leverage me for more money in Europe. I would probably forbid any more foreign draft picks in the future unless I got some kind of iron clad guarantee from that player.

I wonder what the NBA owners think of this situation. I bet they aren't too happy about what they are seeing and reading about this. They have got millions on the line every year and drafting a quality player would help the bottom line as well as making them more competitive. So if they draft a player then I think they should be able to get him into the NBA. If he has a current contract in Europe then they can work something out in the short term or within the terms of the current contract. Point being if any player puts their name in the draft pool then I think they should be held accountable and honor that committment (for lack of a better word). If they don't then I think they should be penalized by being banned from the draft pool for X number years - I'll let the NBA figure out the length of time involved - and not be able to sign a contract with any NBA team after the X number of years has elapsed. They must re-enter the draft. And that would go for all players that enter their name into the draft pool. So people like Kobe and Ferry must play for the team that drafts them and not tell the NBA "If so and so team drafts me then I wont play for them". Fine, then you wont play in the NBA for X number of years then. Go to Europe or some other place and have a good time there. When you come back then you can enter into the draft pool and play for the team that drafts you. If you don't like that then have a good life doing whatever you want to do but it wont be playing NBA ball.

I know some will think that a bit drastic or even illegal. We do live in a free enterprise system and people should be able to do what they want. That's true to a certain extent - but there are noncompete clauses in many work force agreements limiting your ability to move to a competitor within a geographical area for a certain time limit thereby restricting your right to work for whomever you want to - but the major sports - NHL, MBL, NFL, NBA...etc aren't based on the free enterprise system to the extent that say a grocery store or a retail outlet are. They are more like a cartel. Point is - while you can open up most any business so long as you meet the legal requirements not just anyone can be part of the NBA because they want to.

If Splitter uses the Spurs as leverage in order to get a more lucrative contract in Europe then the Spurs have wasted a draft pick for nothing. Maybe Splitter intended this to happen. I doubt it but then again maybe not and this is just what happened. The Spurs are out a draft pick with no compensation - no nothing. Zippo - Nada - Zlich. Based on the amount of money needed to run a franchise these days that is a big hit to the Spurs or any team for that matter. There should be consequences for any player that enters the draft, gets drafted and then decides not to play in the NBA for the respective team that drafted them.

Just think Spurs fans about what would have happened if TD decided that he wanted to play for a team that was on the coast - like Orlando, Miami or LA instead of coming to SA? He then pulls a "Ferry" on us so we end up drafting another player. I can almost tell you that the Spurs would now be playing in another city ( that almost happened wven with TD here) and you can forget about those LOBs.

There is too much money at stake for the players to dictate where they initially play. After their rookie contracts are over they have every right to go where they choose or where the mnoney is being offered. But in the beginning I think they need to play for the team that drafts them.

Off the soap box. :p:

Penya
02-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Chris_Peterson, Real Madrid spent last summer about 300M€ (soccer and basketball sections).
The country is screwed, but they spend a lot of money.

NFGIII
02-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Tiago's buyout for an European team is astronomic (it's not official, but it's said to be 8-10M€).
With that money and the money that they had to use to pay his salary, they'd spend about 14-16M€. And with that money they can sign 3 Euro stars. Doesn't make sense.

Tiago will be a Spur next year.

I hope so and with this piece of info it looks better for the Spurs. Of course their have been owners who just throw money to the wind and this could happen with Splitter. But that buyout for a Euro team is pretty steep. and IIRC the buyout to go to the NBA is approx. $1 Mil. And IIRC also the Spurs can contribute $500k max towards the buyout. Big difference between the two.

diego
02-23-2010, 02:26 PM
HELLO!!!

BEULLER

THERE IS A MAJOR ECONOMIC CRISIS IN SPAIN

THERE ARE NO "DEEP POCKETS" OVER THERE

[/B]

right, and the us economy is doing just fine, no debt problems there...
that 300M euro RM spent on their soccer and basketball teams doesnt even include the salaries, just the buyouts of the players... and FYI those teams are international products, they dont depend on spanish fans to make revenue

TJastal
02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't think Splitter's the savior that everyone thinks he is but anything is better than watching Bonner start or Pop revert to smallball lineups.

If Splitter is signed, it will probably take a good 2-3 years just to get used to the nba, then maybe at that time he might start to make some solid contributions.

Isn't really gonna help Tim Duncan in the final few years much. And I don't think Splitter really cares about the financial aspect as much as people are making out. He is going to be much more interested in what type of situation he is going to be in, and with the spurs currently being in a 'win now at all costs mode' in the final window of Duncan's career he is NOT going to want to comei into a pressure cooker and rather he'll wait another two years until Duncan retires then reconsider at that point.

So all this Splitter hype is going to amount to is a pile of beans.

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 02:39 PM
I hope so and with this piece of info it looks better for the Spurs. Of course their have been owners who just throw money to the wind and this could happen with Splitter. But that buyout for a Euro team is pretty steep. and IIRC the buyout to go to the NBA is approx. $1 Mil. And IIRC also the Spurs can contribute $500k max towards the buyout. Big difference between the two.

Signs point to Splitter being in SA next year as this is his best opportunity to cross the pond, but that doesn't make it a sure thing.

Unlike last time when $$ was the issue, this will be all about how comfortable Splitter is with leaving the life he's had for the last 8-10 years, playing for a team he knows in a league that he knows. Leaving as an established player to somewhere he'll have to prove himself.

I'm not saying Splitter doesn't want these things (new challenge, play on biggest stage, etc.), but I don't think you can count out that aspect.

I will say this is definitely the make-or-break summer for Splitter as far as his window to play for the Spurs. Should be an interesting off-season to say the least.

TJastal
02-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Not much they can say if they still are hoping that he may come over later. Pretty much is a no win situation for the Spurs. And what would Holt have to say about this? If I'm an owner it would be hard for me to watch my FO draft foreign players only to have they leverage me for more money in Europe. I would probably forbid any more foreign draft picks in the future unless I got some kind of iron clad guarantee from that player.

I wonder what the NBA owners think of this situation. I bet they aren't too happy about what they are seeing and reading about this. They have got millions on the line every year and drafting a quality player would help the bottom line as well as making them more competitive. So if they draft a player then I think they should be able to get him into the NBA. If he has a current contract in Europe then they can work something out in the short term or within the terms of the current contract. Point being if any player puts their name in the draft pool then I think they should be held accountable and honor that committment (for lack of a better word). If they don't then I think they should be penalized by being banned from the draft pool for X number years - I'll let the NBA figure out the length of time involved - and not be able to sign a contract with any NBA team after the X number of years has elapsed. They must re-enter the draft. And that would go for all players that enter their name into the draft pool. So people like Kobe and Ferry must play for the team that drafts them and not tell the NBA "If so and so team drafts me then I wont play for them". Fine, then you wont play in the NBA for X number of years then. Go to Europe or some other place and have a good time there. When you come back then you can enter into the draft pool and play for the team that drafts you. If you don't like that then have a good life doing whatever you want to do but it wont be playing NBA ball.

I know some will think that a bit drastic or even illegal. We do live in a free enterprise system and people should be able to do what they want. That's true to a certain extent - but there are noncompete clauses in many work force agreements limiting your ability to move to a competitor within a geographical area for a certain time limit thereby restricting your right to work for whomever you want to - but the major sports - NHL, MBL, NFL, NBA...etc aren't based on the free enterprise system to the extent that say a grocery store or a retail outlet are. They are more like a cartel. Point is - while you can open up most any business so long as you meet the legal requirements not just anyone can be part of the NBA because they want to.

If Splitter uses the Spurs as leverage in order to get a more lucrative contract in Europe then the Spurs have wasted a draft pick for nothing. Maybe Splitter intended this to happen. I doubt it but then again maybe not and this is just what happened. The Spurs are out a draft pick with no compensation - no nothing. Zippo - Nada - Zlich. Based on the amount of money needed to run a franchise these days that is a big hit to the Spurs or any team for that matter. There should be consequences for any player that enters the draft, gets drafted and then decides not to play in the NBA for the respective team that drafted them.

Just think Spurs fans about what would have happened if TD decided that he wanted to play for a team that was on the coast - like Orlando, Miami or LA instead of coming to SA? He then pulls a "Ferry" on us so we end up drafting another player. I can almost tell you that the Spurs would now be playing in another city ( that almost happened wven with TD here) and you can forget about those LOBs.

There is too much money at stake for the players to dictate where they initially play. After their rookie contracts are over they have every right to go where they choose or where the mnoney is being offered. But in the beginning I think they need to play for the team that drafts them.

Off the soap box. :p:

So what about Derek Fisher deciding he didn't like his team and basically walking out of his contract with the jazz? Allen Iverson basically did the same with the grizzlies. If actual contracts aren't being fulfilled and the league (read: Stern) does nothing about it, why in the world would the nba start enforcing new policies on players who haven't even signed a contract yet?

Penya
02-23-2010, 02:46 PM
No the Economy in Spain and Europe isn't "doing alright" get your head out of your ass

And you're talking SOCCER Vs FOOTBALL

LOL

Money isn't a problem for Real Madrid.
The point is that with 14M€ they can gat Splitter. Or 3 stars. If they had to make a choice... Think about it.

stnick2261
02-23-2010, 02:51 PM
How do stats like these normally translate to nba production? If there is such a comparison or study.

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=CBY

According to Hollinger... On average, switching from the Euroleague to the NBA does the following to a player's pace-adjusted per-minute stats:

# Scoring rate decreases 25 percent
# Rebound rate increases by 18 percent
# Assist rate increases by 31 percent
# Shooting percentage drops by 12 percent
# Overall, player efficiency rating drops by 30 percent

Splitter’s projected per 30 minute NBA stats:
Rebounds: 7.39
Assists: 2.88
FG%: 49%

If he plays 40 minutes a night:
Rebounds: 9.83
Assists: 3.83

TJastal
02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
According to Hollinger... On average, switching from the Euroleague to the NBA does the following to a player's pace-adjusted per-minute stats:

So basically he'll be Antonio McDyess minus the defense. Gotcha.

NFGIII
02-23-2010, 03:03 PM
So what about Derek Fisher deciding he didn't like his team and basically walking out of his contract with the jazz? Allen Iverson basically did the same with the grizzlies. If actual contracts aren't being fulfilled and the league (read: Stern) does nothing about it, why in the world would the nba start enforcing new policies on players who haven't even signed a contract yet?

Good points - I wasn't thrilled with what happened there either. I believe that you should honor your contract and abid by the terms. If not then don't sign it. But it was my thoughts concerning the behavior of those players and the consequences their decisions have upon NBA teams. You are correct that it would be difficult to put into place new policies when old ones aren't being enforced. But my concern was that draft picks - especially 1st rounds ones - can have such an impact on the fortunes of a team. And to lose one in this manner is tough to swallow and I believe that there should be consequences for players that do that. Based on the economics of pro sports if you commit to being drafted by a pro team then I think you should own up to it.

But I dream.

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 03:08 PM

What defense is McDyess providing?

And isn't Splitter known as a pretty solid post defender? I know he doesn't block alot of shots, but I read he's pretty solid on the low block. Is that wrong?

In my mind, Splitter's defense and 7ft presence will be as important or more important that the offense he brings...at least initially.

Can someone comment on his defense that has seen him play alot?

santymrc
02-23-2010, 03:14 PM
No the Economy in Spain and Europe isn't "doing alright" get your head out of your ass

And you're talking SOCCER Vs FOOTBALL

LOL

Real Madrid has a lot of sports in their club, its not like NBA teams that are a one dimensional club (just Basket).
Their revenues comes from differents sports and they have a budget larger than some countries, so, get your head out of your ass. They do have more money than the Spurs to spend it will come to Splitter to choose between the two, theres no way the Spurs are going to get him just for MLE.

TJastal
02-23-2010, 03:19 PM
What defense?

And isn't Splitter known as a pretty solid post defender? I know he doesn't block alot of shots, but I read he's pretty solid on the low block. Is that wrong?

In my mind, Splitter's defense and 7ft presence will be as important or more important that the offense he brings...at least initially.

Can someone comment on his defense that has seen him play alot?

If the spurs only wanted a solid post defender they would have kept Kurt Thomas.

And there's nothing special about being 7 feet tall if you can't block a shot. And the guy isn't exactly bulky, he's going to get shoved around in the paint like a foam mannequin.

objective
02-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Splitter is a better defender than McDyess, I'd say much better because he can guard the pick & roll plus the post. He doesn't block that many shots in europe but he'd be better at it than McDyess or Bonner, just ask Amare from Americas tourny in Vegas.

--

It's been brought up on here, and posted about by me for awhile on this site, that the work-stoppage should be enough to make people pessimistic on Splitter. Talk all you want about how much next year's MLE would be vs a top 5-10 Euroleague, deal, even a full MLE can't compete if it's missing half or even an entire season due to a lockout.

Why is this guy going to miss out on money, when he's proven he won't the one time he faced the decision? But go ahead and blame a family medical situation if you want and not the many millions of dollars.

Splitter could just as easily finish his last 2 years with Tau or sign a 4 year with someone else with an NBA out after 2 years, while this summer announcing his goal to live his NBA dream in 2 years when the labor situation has been settled.

And by then the contracts under the new deal could be so restricted he might just stay in europe for the money anyway.

:depressed

Penya
02-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Real Madrid has a lot of sports in their club, its not like NBA teams that are a one dimensional club (just Basket).

Real Madrid has two sports (soccer and basketball).
The club that has a lot of sports is FC Barcelona (soccer, basketball, hockey, handball, indoor football, athletics...)

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 03:26 PM
If the spurs only wanted a solid post defender they would have kept Kurt Thomas.

And there's nothing special about being 7 feet tall if you can't block a shot. And the guy isn't exactly bulky, he's going to get shoved around in the paint like a foam mannequin.

I could go back and forth with you arguing whether Splitter is big enough or quick enough or has the type of game (O & D) to translate to the NBA...but I won't.

How about this...I'll admit that I really know nothing of Splitter beyond what I've read if you'll do exactly the same thing.

The truth is, nobody REALLY knows what the Spurs will get out of Splitter until he comes across the pond and puts on a black and white uni.

But for $4M/yr, I'd take the promise of a young Center to put up the kind of production projected by Hollinger. If you disagree with me, that's fine.

TJastal
02-23-2010, 03:27 PM
The spurs would have been much better served by getting a young, athletic shot blocker (like Tyrus Thomas) as Duncan enters his twilight years. In my opinion they need that more than a 7 foot stiff that can't block shots.

Duncan's mobility and therefore his rim protection is really getting worse but thankfully he'll always have those long arms to contest shots close to him. That is another reason that Thomas would have been the perfect fit, he is young and very mobile.

objective
02-23-2010, 03:31 PM
One other thing: if the Spurs have any shot at Splitter signing here, they can't pull their typical arrogant "We're the Spurs, that's enough!" act. Here's my plea to them:

In 2008 while Splitter was being wined & dined and pleaded with to stay in Spain, RC and Pop did jack shit. The Spurs season was over, they should have been on a plane right after the last exit meeting was over and been in Spain kissing Splitter's ass. Instead, the only word from reports at the time was some low-level Spurs associate was there, it could have even been an intern.

You have your center of the future who you're expecting to just throw away millions of dollars and you don't go see him in person? What the hell? Portland went all out when they visited Fernandez in Spain, and they got him to sign for the rookie scale!

And the Spurs refused to guarantee Splitter a damn thing playing-wise if I recall the reports correctly. Which is fine in theory. But you have to sell him on coming here. Don't be arrogant wordsmiths and tell him, "We're not promising you any role or any minutes! We don't guarantee Tim Duncan anything, so we sure as hell aren't promising you anything!"

If you want him to stay overseas, do that. If not, promise him the damn world, say whatever it takes to get him to sign. Tell him he's the starter. Tell him he's the go-to guy. Tell him his number will get retired. Tell him the franchise will be renamed when Duncan retires as the San Antonio Splitters. Tell him whatever the hell he wants to hear as long as you get him signed.

And don't antagonize him with the pretense that you're helping him. If he wins Euroleague MVP, don't send a 'congratulations' email that consists of "Hey Tiago . . . work on your rebounding for once. KayThanxBai. - RC".

Swallow your pride and your egos, go and beg on your knees, lie and deceive.

Hopefully that will be enough.

baseline bum
02-23-2010, 03:36 PM
This is a fucking joke - there needs to be entries in the CBA stating for foreign players to join the draft, they will need to commit to an NBA team, along with stipulations. The team and player can come to an agreement, but if the team says, "You will be a member in two years," then that's what happens, not this kind of crap.

Actually, Splitter never really entered the draft on his own. For 3 years or so he said he would enter, and then pulled out at the last minute. By the season he was drafted, he was old enough that he was automatically eligible to be drafted, and thus could not pull out again. I think anyone expecting to ever see him in the NBA is insane.

objective
02-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Actually, Splitter never really entered the draft on his own. For 3 years or so he said he would enter, and then pulled out at the last minute. By the season he was drafted, he was old enough that he was automatically eligible to be drafted, and thus could not pull out again. I think anyone expecting to ever see him in the NBA is insane.

true.

basically anyone in the world who turns 22 can be drafted. Even if they've never played basketball.

Hell the Spurs drafted a guy on Presti's say-so that the Spurs hadn't scouted in person, or on tape, or even knew anything about. The Spurs didn't even know what Karaulov looked like, never even saw a photo and still drafted him.

TJastal
02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Splitter is a better defender than McDyess, I'd say much better because he can guard the pick & roll plus the post. He doesn't block that many shots in europe but he'd be better at it than McDyess or Bonner, just ask Amare from Americas tourny in Vegas.

--

It's been brought up on here, and posted about by me for awhile on this site, that the work-stoppage should be enough to make people pessimistic on Splitter. Talk all you want about how much next year's MLE would be vs a top 5-10 Euroleague, deal, even a full MLE can't compete if it's missing half or even an entire season due to a lockout.

Why is this guy going to miss out on money, when he's proven he won't the one time he faced the decision? But go ahead and blame a family medical situation if you want and not the many millions of dollars.

Splitter could just as easily finish his last 2 years with Tau or sign a 4 year with someone else with an NBA out after 2 years, while this summer announcing his goal to live his NBA dream in 2 years when the labor situation has been settled.

And by then the contracts under the new deal could be so restricted he might just stay in europe for the money anyway.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/game/p/gid/10/grid/B/rid/5730/sid/3965/tid/250/_/2007_FIBA_Americas_Championship/statistic.html

So this is the game that everybody is raving about? Where he supposedly dominated Amare Stoudemire defensively? I'm not sure, but people keep bringing this up as "proof" of Splitter's defense.

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 03:40 PM
The spurs would have been much better served by getting a young, athletic shot blocker (like Tyrus Thomas) as Duncan enters his twilight years. In my opinion they need that more than a 7 foot stiff that can't block shots.

Duncan's mobility and therefore his rim protection is really getting worse but thankfully he'll always have those long arms to contest shots close to him. That is another reason that Thomas would have been the perfect fit, he is young and very mobile.

Okay, I said I wouldn't get into this with you, but then you brought up Tyrus Thomas.

Thomas is 6'8, 220lbs. I don't care how good he is at blocking shots...are you really advocating ANOTHER undersized PF for the Spurs?

The scouting reports on Splitter indicate that his mobility is a strength. Add to that his age (24), height (7'), length (7'2) and weight (245lb)....I just don't see how you're advocating for one over the other if your paying them similar money.

Splitter is a true F/C prospect whereas Thomas is a PF in a SF body.

objective
02-23-2010, 03:45 PM
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/game/p/gid/10/grid/B/rid/5730/sid/3965/tid/250/_/2007_FIBA_Americas_Championship/statistic.html

So this is the game that everybody is raving about? Where he supposedly dominated Amare Stoudemire defensively? I'm not sure, but people keep bringing this up as "proof" of Splitter's defense.

Have you watched that game? I still have it on tape and I will rave about it.

Splitter owned that game, he was the only reason Brazil was even in it. Once his coach took him out, the team got straight up destroyed. Defense and offense, because Splitter was the only unselfish guy in their offense.

He wasn't even credited for his last block, it was a bogus foul that happened during a fastbreak Amare dunk that Splitter rejected the shit out of. Not a come on the weakside and block some point guard's layup, it was a straight up, man-sized come get your stuff right in Amare's face as he was going to destroy the rim on a classic Amare dunk.

angelbelow
02-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Some of you guys need to wake the fuck up. Splitter not coming does not equal us sucking next year. It would definitely be a set back but have some motherfucking hope.

02-23-2010, 03:54 PM
splitter is the defensive anchor to whatever team he was on. there was never any indication that he was bad on defense or even a lazy defender. he has the size and mobility to effectively defend the 4/5. even if his offense never develops further than it is now, he'll be a young defensive center the spurs need.

TJastal
02-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Okay, I said I wouldn't get into this with you, but then you brought up Tyrus Thomas.

Thomas is 6'8, 220lbs. I don't care how good he is at blocking shots...are you really advocating ANOTHER undersized PF for the Spurs?

The scouting reports on Splitter indicate that his mobility is a strength. Add to that his age (24), height (7'), length (7'2) and weight (245lb)....I just don't see how you're advocating for one over the other if your paying them similar money.

Splitter is a true F/C prospect whereas Thomas is a PF in a SF body.

Thomas is a versatile defender, but is a true PF as evidenced by his decent rebounding clip. He is easily 6'9" from the comparisons I've seen (he's an inch shorter than Dwight Howard for instance). What he gives up in weight he makes up for in strength.

The shotblocking factor + the mobility should have been the priority for the F.O. in bringing in a big man to play alongside Duncan. McDyess was supposed to be that guy, and perhaps 3 years ago would have been. Thomas with his youth, athleticism, and standing reach of 9 feet would fit the role perfectly however.

What it all boils down to really is with Splitter (and assuming I agree with all your assessments of him, uproven as they are) the spurs get a bigger body weight wise to throw around in the paint and with Thomas they get athleticism, shot blocking and a versatile defender who may not have the weight to bang with the 260+ pounders.

So you believe Splitter would compliment Duncan more, and I think Thomas would. Fair enough.

TJastal
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Splitter owned that game, he was the only reason Brazil was even in it. Once his coach took him out, the team got straight up destroyed. Defense and offense, because Splitter was the only unselfish guy in their offense.

He wasn't even credited for his last block, it was a bogus foul that happened during a fastbreak Amare dunk that Splitter rejected the shit out of. Not a come on the weakside and block some point guard's layup, it was a straight up, man-sized come get your stuff right in Amare's face as he was going to destroy the rim on a classic Amare dunk.

13pts/9reb/1block (but he wasn't credited for all of em :lol). Brazil loses by 37, just curious when was Brazil ever in this game? After the 1st quarter,
2nd, 3rd? Looks like USA was up big from the beginning and never let up.

Your drinking some serious Splitter kool-aid, friend.

objective
02-23-2010, 04:11 PM
13pts/9reb/1block (but he wasn't credited for all of em :lol). Brazil loses by 37, just curious when was Brazil ever in this game? After the 1st quarter,

Dude, I'm the one who is saying I don't expect Splitter to be a Spur. How is that kool-aid?

Hey, you're posting that they lose by 37 . . . after I said they were destroyed. And you ignore my posts about his game.

How about this:

You and I watch the game in the next 36 hours, and we can start a new thread and share our notes of the game and the breakdown of how Splitter played against the US Dreamteam with regards to all aspects of basketball, whether it be shooting, passing, 1-on-1 defense, help defense, PnR, rebounding, shotblocking, hustle, tranistion play, shot contesting, the works.

Sound fair?

I think so because it would actually involve basing opinions on observable actions.

I'm ready when you are. :toast

Mel_13
02-23-2010, 04:16 PM

The new CBA and a possible lockout could very well be a factor in Splitter's decision, but it may not be a negative one. The opposite may be true.

Let's assume Splitter is all about the money. His earning potential right now is limited in the NBA because he can only negotiate with one team and that team is limited to the MLE as the best possible offer. In Europe, he is limited to a handful of very rich teams able to pay his buyout and his salary.

If he re-ups in Europe, he probably never makes much more than the deal he gets with Madrid or PAO this summer. As you suggest, the threat of going to the NBA may not even be able to provide any leverage three or four years down the road.

Now if he signs for MLE this summer with a player option after the third year, he may lose some money in the second year due to a lockout (that assumes that the MLE does provide a much larger annual salary than he could get in Europe), but after three years he will be 28 years and an international free agent.

At that point he could sell himself to the highest bidder in the NBA or Europe without the restraints of draft rights or buyouts.

So signing an NBA contract this summer comes with some short term financial risk, but it is the best route to the largest possible contract.

Now as to your post on the San Antonio negotiating position this summer, I totally agree. They need to go over at the earliest possible date and put a full MLE offer, with a player option after three years, on the table. This is the last, best chance to add him to the team.

SpurNation
02-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Just for fun ...Splitter and Pop may be an interesting thing to watch if this were true...
http://astrology.yahoo.com/astrology/compatibility/coworker/?sign1=aquarius&sign2=capricorn

Aquarius & Capricorn Coworker Compatibility

When Capricorn (Splitter) and Aquarius (Pop) come together, it is an alliance of two people who bring out the best in each other. Capricorn has a cautious, sensible approach to life. Aquarius has an unquenchable, visionary approach to just about everything! They may appear to be absolute opposites, but once these two set their sights on a common goal, they are an unswervable force.

Both Capricorn and Aquarius can be stubborn and opinionated. Capricorn appreciates organization and is always looking for results. Aquarius is modern and finds routine smothering and uninteresting. Capricorn will find Aquarius exciting, yet may feel frustrated trying to find a logical sequence in their desultory, mystical mind. Aquarius will not appreciate the domineering nature of their partner, but will find the solid base that Capricorn provides to be a great support and will be relieved that someone will take care of their shared business matters.

Capricorn and Aquarius are ruled by Saturn, and Aquarius is also ruled by Uranus. Saturn is a cool, traditional energy. This planet is very goal-oriented and devoted to progressive thinking. Capricorn and Aquarius merge their strengths to Aquarian revolutions or Capricornian social status. Uranus is about all things different and unusual. Capricorn will show Aquarius that life is based on organization, rationality and comfort. Aquarius can teach Capricorn to be more dreamy and stand up for what they believe.

Capricorn is an Earth Sign and Aquarius is an Air Sign. Aquarius moves through life through pure and independent exploration, while Capricorn looks for an end result. At times these partners may find it difficult to understand the other's perspective. Conflicts can arise in this partnership if Capricorn seems too narrowly focused or Aquarius seems too caught up in their own world and ambitions. Both need to learn that they navigate paths in different ways and have many things to share with one another.

Capricorn is a Cardinal Sign and Aquarius is a Fixed Sign. Both can be implacable, opinionated and unyielding. Both partners tend to pursue things persistently. If they have a plan, they'll stick to it until their work is finished. Capricorn prefers to generate the ideas and to dole out the assignments. Aquarius is pleased to work with Capricorn on their projects if they are given a substantial role. Conflicts may occur due to the pigheadedness of both Signs. However, if they understand they're working together for a common goal, it's much easier for them to achieve noticeable results.
The best aspect of the Capricorn-Aquarius relationship is that when they decide to come together, they are an unbeatable team. This alliance will be informative, enlightening and a pleasure to both participants. Their output will be a valid asset to themselves and their community.

DesignatedT
02-23-2010, 04:37 PM
this is no surprise.... of course this was going to happen. it all depends if he wants to fulfill his dream of being an nba player.

pad300
02-23-2010, 04:50 PM

Jastal, have a good look at that Boxscore. Consider there were 5 big men, of whom 4 have recieved significant consideration as NBA All-Stars. There was also Splitter.

Name Min FG % Rebs PF To BS Pts
T. SPLITTER 26 60 9 2 2 1 13
N. HILARIO 25 37.5 5 2 1 0 8
D. HOWARD 19 50 2 4 1 1 3
A. STOUDEMIRE 22 50 5 3 1 1 11
T. CHANDLER 10 0 5 2 0 2 0

He had the best FG%, Rebs, Pts. He fouled less, and had as many blocked shots as Dwight Howard and Amare. Yes, he had 2 turnovers in 26 minutes. He scored 1 less point than Howard and Stoudemire combined, and collect more rebounds... It's one game, yeah, but it was an impressive game

ElNono
02-23-2010, 04:56 PM
There's always plan B: resign Bonner for another 3 years.
He might cost less too...

TimDunkem
02-23-2010, 04:58 PM
You're going to say he plays no D when you think he plays like McDyess based on stats? lmao

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 05:02 PM
There's always plan B: resign Bonner for another 3 years.
He might cost less too...

I'm sure you're joking, but Bonner signing would be independent of any action to sign Splitter because of the bird rights.

If Splitter decides to stay in Europe, my guess is Spurs explore a trade or sign Camby to a two-year deal with the second year only partially guaranteed.

Johnny RIngo
02-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm sure you're joking, but Bonner signing would be independent of any action to sign Splitter because of the bird rights.

If Splitter decides to stay in Europe, my guess is Spurs explore a trade or sign Camby to a two-year deal with the second year only partially guaranteed.

If Splitter doesn't come over it's going to make the Spurs look like fools for holding onto his draft rights for so long(when they could have used it in a potential trade).

TD 21
02-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Save for the brief euphoria that commenced after Jefferson, Blair and McDyess were acquired last off season, this has been team doom and gloom the past two years. Strictly in terms of on court, when's the last time there was positive news surrounding this team? Game seven against the Hornets in '08?

Yeah, this isn't that surprising that one of the three best (if not the best) centers in Europe is going to be heavily pursued by one of the wealthiest clubs in Europe, but it's also not good news.

The Spurs can't afford to not bring over Splitter this summer. Unless Real Madrid pays him something astronomical like $10 million a year, which the Spurs simply can't compete with, there is no excuse. If it takes the full $5.8 million a year mid-level exception, then they need to go to that length. Is it an overpayment? At this writing, yes. But if his translated stats are what he produces, then he'll be worth that and probably even more in short order. Outside of the money, if it takes guaranteeing him 25 mpg and the chance to start immediately, then they need to do that as well.

Here's the other thing: everyone talks about "it comes down to whether he wants to play in the NBA" or "this is his dream", but in reality, almost all international draft picks spew the same line(s), but at the end of the day they're comfortable with the lifestyle in Europe, all of their family and friends are over there and they're go-to players on their respective teams. Probably the only thing that get's the majority of them to come over is being offered significantly more money (and a relatively significant role). If it's even close between Real Madrid and the Spurs, my gut is he's going to Real Madrid.

ElNono
02-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Camby??? How old is he again? And how many games he has missed the last few seasons?

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 05:16 PM
The Spurs can't afford to not bring over Splitter this summer.

I disagree with this statement.

Will the Spurs look foolish for not trading his rights when they had the chance? Probably.

But the Spurs will still be a in a position to use their MLE to improve the team, and they'd have a decent trade chip in RJs expiring contract to acquire a big man in return.

It's obvious that the Spurs prefer bringing Splitter over as their Plan A, but I don't think it's a Plan A-or-bust scenario.

temujin
02-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Not worth arguing with Jtal. The guy knows nothing about basketball.
He can't tell the difference from a smart guy with a high IQ from an idiot with an IQ of a watermelon (Tyrus Thomas).

Thiago Splitter is one of the top 3 centers in Euroleague.
The news about Messina wanting him in Madrid is indicative, as Messina is a great coach and a defensive-minded one.

And you are damn right: the question is not whether the Spurs want Splitter, it whether Splitter wants the Spurs.

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Camby??? How old is he again? And how many games he has missed the last few seasons?

I didn't say it was great, but at $3-4M for a couple seasons he'd be a pretty good value for the rebounding and shot-blocking he'd bring.

Personally, if Splitter doesn't come over I'd like to see the Spurs flip RJ and Dice for Maggette and Biedrins. But, I'm not sure how likely that is either.

ElNono
02-23-2010, 05:24 PM
I didn't say it was great, but at $3-4M for a couple seasons he'd be a pretty good value for the rebounding and shot-blocking he'd bring.

Personally, if Splitter doesn't come over I'd like to see the Spurs flip RJ and Dice for Maggette and Biedrins. But, I'm not sure how likely that is either.

It's shaping up to be an interesting summer. If Manu bolts then they're definitely going to have to make a high impact trade if they pretend to have a competitive team to close out Duncan's career.

MrFundamental
02-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Coming from you, that's pretty funny. :lol

pad300
02-23-2010, 05:29 PM
It's shaping up to be an interesting summer. If Manu bolts then they're definitely going to have to make a high impact trade if they pretend to have a competitive team to close out Duncan's career.

I think you need to rethink the cause and effect. They need to make a high impact trade (ie move Jefferson), or it's rebuilding time. If it's rebuilding time, Manu's going to leave, and the question becomes: Should we move TD and Parker?

ElNono
02-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Coming from you, that's pretty funny. :lol

If you're asking me to pick between Camby or Bonner, hello Marcus! :lol
But if I dreamed of a mobile experienced 25 year old center, and you offer me Camby instead, then it's more like meh...

ElNono
02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I think you need to rethink the cause and effect. They need to make a high impact trade (ie move Jefferson), or it's rebuilding time. If it's rebuilding time, Manu's going to leave, and the question becomes: Should we move TD and Parker?

I don't know that is entirely true. I think the FO believes a healthy Parker would have made a big diference. I don't disagree, but I don't know that's the be all, end all. If we manage to sign Splitter, resign Manu and somehow land a perimeter stopper (Bell maybe?), if TP is healthy we might give it a go. I don't think we'll be able to move RJ next summer. I think more plausible is next winter...

MrFundamental
02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
If you're asking me to pick between Camby or Bonner, hello Marcus! :lol
But if I dreamed of a mobile experienced 25 year old center, and you offer me Camby instead, then it's more like meh...
Ah, so you were only comparing Camby to those 2, gotcha...

pad300
02-23-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't know that is entirely true. I think the FO believes a healthy Parker would have made a big diference. I don't disagree, but I don't know that's the be all, end all. If we manage to sign Splitter, resign Manu and somehow land a perimeter stopper (Bell maybe?), if TP is healthy we might give it a go. I don't think we'll be able to move RJ next summer. I think more plausible is next winter...

I think Manu will either want a) the money or b) more serious ring shots. But the Spurs are rather unlikely to offer him a), so they better be offering b) if they want him to stay. And when he looks at Jefferson, I don't think he's saying to himself, "Jeez that guys a real competitor; I can see him in an NBA finals".

TJastal
02-23-2010, 05:56 PM
He can't tell the difference from a smart guy with a high IQ from an idiot with an IQ of a watermelon (Tyrus Thomas).

The news about Messina wanting him in Madrid is indicative, as Messina is a great coach and a defensive-minded one.

And you are damn right: the question is not whether the Spurs want Splitter, it whether Splitter wants the Spurs.

Oh boy, another lame spurstalk poster chimes in with the basketball IQ > all argument. Haven't seen that one before. :rolleyes

Btw, it's Tiago, not Thiago. At least I have the IQ to spell the guy's name right. :lol

TD 21
02-23-2010, 06:03 PM
I disagree with this statement.

Will the Spurs look foolish for not trading his rights when they had the chance? Probably.

But the Spurs will still be a in a position to use their MLE to improve the team, and they'd have a decent trade chip in RJs expiring contract to acquire a big man in return.

It's obvious that the Spurs prefer bringing Splitter over as their Plan A, but I don't think it's a Plan A-or-bust scenario.

Now that I think about it, how do the Spurs even have their mid-level exception available this summer? They used it last summer on McDyess and I thought you can't use it in back to back years?

Off the top of my head, the Spurs best chance at landing a starting quality big man in free agency is Camby. But he's old and injury prone; two things this team needs to avoid.

Jefferson, I doubt he's movable until the '11 trade deadline.

I think it is. This team needs what he can theoretically can provide and if they don't get it from him, then I don't see another realistic scenario whereby they could get it. The length, the ability to protect the rim (he's not great in this regard, but better than any Spurs rotation player not named Duncan in a while), the mobility, which in conjunction with the length gives him a chance to be a quality defender against the mobile, face-up four's who have killed the Spurs.

Mel_13
02-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Now that I think about it, how do the Spurs even have their mid-level exception available this summer? They used it last summer on McDyess and I thought you can't use it in back to back years?

The MLE can be used every year by teams over the cap.

The LLE is only available in alternate years.

TD 21
02-23-2010, 06:08 PM

I figured that, but I remember hearing about a year ago somewhere that you "can't use it in consecutive years", which didn't sound right at the time.

objective
02-23-2010, 06:08 PM

true.

That's always struck me as weird with the cap. The large exception that can help hamstring franchises for a good chunk of change over many years can be used every summer, but the small exception worth peanuts is limited to like 2 years and can only be used every other year.

Should be the other way around. If the next CBA keeps cap exceptions maybe it will be reversed. Full MLEs only for 2 years and only every other year.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-23-2010, 06:10 PM
He needs to come here,

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 06:47 PM

I think he's saying "if Manu bolts" then it's rebuilding time. In truth, that would be the nightmare scenario...Splitter stays in Europe and Manu bolts. Spurs would still have MLE and RJs (and maybe Dice's) contract to play with, but losing a playmaker that big and missing out on a big frontcourt piece together would be hard to recover from.

Using the two expiring contracts (Dice's contract only partially guaranteed the next year), the best the Spurs can hope for is some combination of wing player and frontcourt player (i.e. Maggette/Biedrins). You could then use the MLE for a shooter/scorer, though they likely wouldn't be of Manu's calibur.

Spurs FO would likely go through all of those scenarios before rebuilding though. As I've maintained from the beginning, as long as TD is a Spur, the FO won't go into rebuilding mode. They're too loyal to let him spend his last years on a rebuilding squad.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2010, 06:51 PM
The MLE can be used every year by teams over the cap.Correct.

The LLE is only available in alternate years.Incorrect.

I figured that, but I remember hearing about a year ago somewhere that you "can't use it in consecutive years", which didn't sound right at the time.That is correct.

jjktkk
02-23-2010, 06:53 PM

TJastal, WTF r u talking about Fisher didn't like his team and walking out of his contract with the Jazz? He left Utah because his daughter needed specialized medical care, which the state of Utah could not provide. And the Jazz graciously let him go so he could get his daughter the medical care she needed, which, BTW the city of Los Angeles could provide.

mountainballer
02-23-2010, 07:06 PM
groundhog day.
how often did we discuss how god/mediocre/bad/bust Splitter will be?
fact is, we will never know till he's here.
Scola turned out to be a much much better NBA player and I remember there were quite some more poster pronouncing that he will be to small/weak/non athletic/bad rebounder/ incompatible to succeed in the NBA.
well, he isn't and at 3 million per he is one of the best deals in the league.

yes, there is absolutely no guarrantee that an Euroleague star turns into a good NBA player. as well as there is no guarrantee that a NCAA star turns into a good NBA player. but guess what, more often the NCAA stars turn into good NBA players than the average NCAA player.
Splitter is one of the best Euroleague players. that's fact. the chance is there, that he will be as productive as Scola or Marc Gasol.
the major problem IMO will be the Spurs FO.
they made so many mind-boggling decissions in the last years, that I wouldn't be surprised that they try to lowball him, offer some 2-3 million and therefore lose him.
(and as someone else said: then re sign Bonner for that kind of money)

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Jefferson, I doubt he's movable until the '11 trade deadline.

This is conventional wisdom, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

As was the case with RJ and VC, there will be players that teams attempted to move at this year's trade deadline who will find there way to new destinations before the next season begins.

The two guys that jump out the most in my mind are Corey Maggette and Rip Hamilton. Neither team seems particularly keen to hold onto these contracts anymore tomorrow than they do today.

And if a shorter-term deal (especially an expiring one) is brought to the table for one of them, I think they'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

The Spurs would be motivated by a need to stay relevant, hedge against losing Manu and actually save a little coin (both deals are for less money next year).

Not saying those deals happen, but there are scenarios where the Spurs unload RJs contract before the deadline.

ElNono
02-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I think he's saying "if Manu bolts" then it's rebuilding time. In truth, that would be the nightmare scenario...Splitter stays in Europe and Manu bolts. Spurs would still have MLE and RJs (and maybe Dice's) contract to play with, but losing a playmaker that big and missing out on a big frontcourt piece together would be hard to recover from.

Well, he said that if the Spurs don't trade RJ, the team will rebuild. And if the team rebuilds, then Manu will bolt.

I agree with you that they won't rebuild until TD calls it quits. But I don't even want to waste my time thinking all possible scenarios. I think if they make a fair offer to Manu, and they can do that, he'll be back. As far as Splitter goes, it's really up to him and his 'dream'. I really like the fact that a bunch of guys that are borderline bench players are expiring. Hopefully they can use some of that money to bring some actual role players that can contribute.

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Well, he said that if the Spurs don't trade RJ, the team will rebuild. And if the team rebuilds, then Manu will bolt.

I agree with you that they won't rebuild until TD calls it quits. But I don't even want to waste my time thinking all possible scenarios. I think if they make a fair offer to Manu, and they can do that, he'll be back. As far as Splitter goes, it's really up to him and his 'dream'. I really like the fact that a bunch of guys that are borderline bench players are expiring. Hopefully they can use some of that money to bring some actual role players that can contribute.

I know this is a bit off topic, but...

Honestly the Manu situation worries me more than the Splitter one.

Not that losing out on Splitter and going with Plan B (Camby, etc.) wouldn't suck...but at least there are options.

Losing Manu, what are the legitimate options for replacement? And if you're using MLE on a big, then how do you go about replacing him?

That's why the Spurs are in a terrible position when it comes to Manu...he has all of the negotiating power. Given how butt-hurt he was over the extension talks, I don't expect him to be loyal or favorable towards the Spurs during negotiations.

I fully expect Manu to ask for and receive $10M/yr, whether or not it comes from the Spurs.

ElNono
02-23-2010, 07:29 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, but...

Honestly the Manu situation worries me more than the Splitter one.

Not that losing out on Splitter and going with Plan B (Camby, etc.) wouldn't suck...but at least there are options.

Losing Manu, what are the legitimate options for replacement? And if you're using MLE on a big, then how do you go about replacing him?

That's why the Spurs are in a terrible position when it comes to Manu...he has all of the negotiating power. Given how butt-hurt he was over the extension talks, I don't expect him to be loyal or favorable towards the Spurs during negotiations.

I fully expect Manu to ask for and receive $10M/yr, whether or not it comes from the Spurs.

Manu will test free agency waters. But I don't think he'll fetch more than $8-$9 for 3 years. A phone call from Pop, Tim and a competitive offer (ie: NOT a lowball $4 million for 2 years) will get you Manu back.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2010, 07:33 PM
$10 million a year for Manu seems pretty nuts given the current mood of teams.

Slinkyman
02-23-2010, 08:07 PM
No one was willing to give Manu 10 million per year in his prime what makes you think someone would in his twilight?

AFBlue
02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
$10 million a year for Manu seems pretty nuts given the current mood of teams.

In a normal market, you're right. But I wouldn't call this market normal, given the number of teams with MAJOR cap space.

All it takes is LeBron and Wade re-signing to leave teams scrambling for options B-Z. And I guarantee someone's option will be to look at Manu for a short-term, high-dollar contract.

Not saying it'll be prohibitively enough to lure him away, but it may be more than the Spurs would ideally like to spend.

SenorSpur
02-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Spurs FO would likely go through all of those scenarios before rebuilding though. As I've maintained from the beginning, as long as TD is a Spur, the FO won't go into rebuilding mode. They're too loyal to let him spend his last years on a rebuilding squad.

I've got news for you. If Manu bolts, and let's say your other scenario comes to fruition and Splitter doesn't show, the Spurs will forced into rebuilding. A Manu defection, which if he gets a crazy offer will be understandable, will devastate the franchise. That, alone, will signal a time for change, as the Spurs will clearly be stuck in that dreaded "zero zone of mediocrity."

In fact, they're already there. If they sit back, stick they're heads in the ground and pretend otherwise, then they'll be rolling with the same roster of declining, overpriced, talent they have now. Even if they can elect to slowly plug in a piece part or two gradually, as they've done, that will only prolong the sickness. If they stay mediocre for very long, they'll start feeling the pinch at the gate.

Or they can blow it up and aggressively start the process by adding young, athletic, inexpensive players, via draft and free agency, around their core of TP, TD, Hill, Blair & Hairston. Again, if you're going to lose games, it's far better to do so with young, cheap, developing talent, that plays hard and has great upside.

Either route they choose, when you factor in the changing financial landscape and limited assets they currently have, the process of remaking the roster will be a daunting one. Of course, had they elected to start the process last week at the trade deadline, they'd be a bit further along in that endeavor. However, that is another story alltogether.

ElNono
02-23-2010, 08:19 PM

Another Blazer down: Marcus Camby (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147439)

:toast

pjjrfan
02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm going to take the smae view I took with Scola. Until he gets here, I won't stress over it. That way if he never comes,, I won't have to be all depressed. Although I do admit that I always felt the Sprus would find a way to get Scola. But once I read where the team heads didn't think that both Scola and Timmy could coexist I knew something other than talent was a strumbling block.

SenorSpur
02-23-2010, 08:28 PM
One other thing: if the Spurs have any shot at Splitter signing here, they can't pull their typical arrogant "We're the Spurs, that's enough!" act.

What I find weird is that, in 2004, when Pop had a hard-on for Rasho Nesterovic, he flew to his native Slovenia and showed up at his home to start the free agency period. He even went so far as to court Rasho in his native Serbian language.

in 2006, when Pop had a hard-on for Nick Van Exel, he flew across country during the all-star break, to convince him to sign with the Spurs. All this despite the fact that NVE was done as a player.

Last season, when they had a hard-on for Drew Gooden, Pop knew that several teams desired his services. To gain an edge, Pop flew cross-country to Sactown to sell him on the Spurs' wares.

To think he did all this for these players, but instead he chose not to court Splitter in the same fashion is unforgivable. I agree with you in that it does demonstrate a hint of arrogance.

ElNono
02-23-2010, 08:31 PM
What I find weird is that, in 2004, when Pop had a hard-on for Rasho Nesterovic, he flew to his native Slovenia and showed up at his home to start the free agency period. He even went so far as to court Rasho in his native Serbian language.

in 2006, when Pop had a hard-on for Nick Van Exel, he flew across country during the all-star break, to convince him to sign with the Spurs. All this despite the fact that NVE was done as a player.

Last season, when they had a hard-on for Drew Gooden, Pop knew that several teams desired his services. To gain an edge, Pop flew cross-country to Sactown to sell him on the Spurs' wares.

To think he did all this for these players, but instead he chose not to court Splitter in the same fashion is unforgivable. I agree with you in that it does demonstrate a hint of arrogance.

You forget the same red carpet treatment from Pop with Damon Stoudamire, and IIRC, Michael Finley also.

rascal
02-23-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't think this post changes much of anything.

We all knew that Splitter is one of, if not THE most valuable big man in Europe. So, it's not surprising that teams with deep pockets want to go after him.

As the article says, it all depends if Splitter ultimately wants to end up in the NBA. If he does, then this is the right time...when the Spurs have the $$ to make him a competitive offer to most Euro clubs and can guarantee him a pretty significant role.

I think this will be effectively communicated to him by the Spurs FO when they begin negotiating this summer.

Hard to believe he is the best center in europe. European leagues are weaker than the NBA but I didn't think they were that weak.

lennyalderette
02-24-2010, 12:38 AM
god isnt even lubing it up anymore, were all rimmed out

Sean Cagney
02-24-2010, 01:12 AM
and the season keeps getting worse

This is an understatement here.

AFBlue
02-24-2010, 01:37 AM
I've got news for you. If Manu bolts, and let's say your other scenario comes to fruition and Splitter doesn't show, the Spurs will forced into rebuilding. A Manu defection, which if he gets a crazy offer will be understandable, will devastate the franchise. That, alone, will signal a time for change, as the Spurs will clearly be stuck in that dreaded "zero zone of mediocrity."

In fact, they're already there. If they sit back, stick they're heads in the ground and pretend otherwise, then they'll be rolling with the same roster of declining, overpriced, talent they have now. Even if they can elect to slowly plug in a piece part or two gradually, as they've done, that will only prolong the sickness. If they stay mediocre for very long, they'll start feeling the pinch at the gate.

Or they can blow it up and aggressively start the process by adding young, athletic, inexpensive players, via draft and free agency, around their core of TP, TD, Hill, Blair & Hairston. Again, if you're going to lose games, it's far better to do so with young, cheap, developing talent, that plays hard and has great upside.

Either route they choose, when you factor in the changing financial landscape and limited assets they currently have, the process of remaking the roster will be a daunting one. Of course, had they elected to start the process last week at the trade deadline, they'd be a bit further along in that endeavor. However, that is another story alltogether.

Even if Manu defects and Splitter declines, the Spurs still have TD and Parker. With Hill, Blair, first round pick, MLE and the possibility of additions through trade (RJ and Dice expiring) I'd say the Spurs can still put together a competitive squad.

You and I actually may be speaking the same language (TD/Parker plus mostly young fillers), but you call that a "blow up". My definition of a "blow up" is the Spurs trading Parker for young talent, picks and expiring contracts...basically putting to rest any chance that Duncan has at another ring.

That's something I don't see as likely with Duncan still in a Spurs uni.

NFGIII
02-24-2010, 01:38 AM
TJastal, WTF r u talking about Fisher didn't like his team and walking out of his contract with the Jazz? He left Utah because his daughter needed specialized medical care, which the state of Utah could not provide. And the Jazz graciously let him go so he could get his daughter the medical care she needed, which, BTW the city of Los Angeles could provide.

Not defending TJastal but wasn't Fisher's daughter being cared for by a NY doc at the time? I seem to remember that being stated during one of the Jazz games when his daughter's condition became known. I thought when the Jazz released him to care for his daughter that it was a caring and gracious gesture on their part. I would have thought that Fisher would then go to NY or the vicinity in order to be near the doctor that performed the surgery on his daughter. But shortly there after he signed with the Lakers and I thought to myself - "Did the NY doc have a LA facility or was moving to LA? Maybe Fisher didn't need to relocate to the NY area and only needed a competent doc to oversee her recovery and care. Since he was gettting that in NY why leave Utah? The fact that he signed with the Lakers so quickly and didn't seek medical care from the original doctor didn't add up to me. Maybe it was just mere circumstance. Maybe not but I didn't ever seem to recall him addressing that point and anyone who questioned his motives were pretty much shot down as insensitive people. Guess we'll never really know why he didn't go to back to NY and went to LA instead.

But I guess this is a good example of "what goes around comes around". Since Boozer screwed the Cavs by going to the Jazz after promising them he would resign with the team the Jazz are repaid with Fisher getting his release with no compensation to the Jazz and going to one of their main WC rivals.

mountainballer
02-24-2010, 04:48 AM
He even went so far as to court Rasho in his native Serbian language.

uh oh. better don't tell a Slovenian that Serbian was his native language.

TJastal
02-24-2010, 06:52 AM

And after all the insistence of being on the lakers and ditching the jazz organization, Fisher ended up flying her to New York for treatments anyways.

TJastal
02-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Not defending TJastal but wasn't Fisher's daughter being cared for by a NY doc at the time? I seem to remember that being stated during one of the Jazz games when his daughter's condition became known. I thought when the Jazz released him to care for his daughter that it was a caring and gracious gesture on their part. I would have thought that Fisher would then go to NY or the vicinity in order to be near the doctor that performed the surgery on his daughter. But shortly there after he signed with the Lakers and I thought to myself - "Did the NY doc have a LA facility or was moving to LA? Maybe Fisher didn't need to relocate to the NY area and only needed a competent doc to overeas her recovery and care. Since he was gettting that in NY why leave Utah? The fact that he signed with the Lakers so quickly and didn't seek medical care from the original doctor didn't add up to me. Maybe it was just mere circumstance. Maybe not but I didn't ever seem to recall him addressing that point and anyone who questioned his motives were pretty much shot down as insensitive people. Guess we'll never really know why he didn't go to back to NY and went to LA instead.

But I guess this is a good example of "what goes around comes around". Since Boozer screwed the Cavs by going to the Jazz after promising them he would resign with the team the Jazz are repaid with Fisher getting his release with no compensation to the Jazz and going to one of their main WC rivals.

Ah, you beat me to the punch, NFGIII. Thanks for the background info on Derek "I used my daughter's illness excuse to play for the lakers!" Fisher. What a classy guy.

jimo2305
02-24-2010, 07:56 AM
please stop saying splitter people.. how many times does he have to snub us for y'all to understand he's not coming.. the twolves got the point with ricky rubio.. 3 years later we still hear.. "..well when we get splitter.." lol..

i want jevale mcgee.. but i doubt the wizards wanna let him go that easy..

guys.. just close the door on splitter already..

i have.. life's been much more pleasant..

STOP SAYING SPLITTER!!!!

close the door already.. he's not coming.. even i took a hint after the 3rd year of being tiago'ed..

BillMc
02-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Manu will test free agency waters. But I don't think he'll fetch more than $8-$9 for 3 years. A phone call from Pop, Tim and a competitive offer (ie: NOT a lowball $4 million for 2 years) will get you Manu back.

I pray you're right. I'd hate to lose Manu.

If Splitter is EVER coming it will be next year. If doesn't show at this training camp we (as fans) should forget about him.

exstatic
02-24-2010, 08:24 AM
It may be as simple as Splitter not wanting to come over in the teeth of a work stoppage in 2011, and there WILL be a work stoppage in 2011.

all_heart
02-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Even if Splitter comes we still need to add another legit big to the roster. How else do the Spurs plan to get through a healthy Lakers squad? Duncan and Dice getting a year older plus Splitter is not enough. Even though Duncan can play lights out any given game, if we add another big that can play decent D, run the floor, it would allow TD the time to rest that he needs. Blair is a monster but is undersized against competent 7 footers. Bonner.. I just hope he's gone next year. One option to seriously consider to get this big is maybe trading TP. He's our only tradable asset right now. I'm not a TP hater, he's won a lot of games for us, however all those minutes and French play are wearing him down, and the fact that Hill is coming along nicely make it an option IMO. RJ will mostly likely be here, nobody wanted him last week, nobody will want his contract next year either. With Hill and a traditional PG running the point it may allow RJ to emerge out of the funk he's in. Spurs got 2 years with Duncan, it's not about till death do us part with players, it's about putting together a team than can challenge for the title. Does the FO have the cojones to do it??! The Lakers going big when nobody else is (Spurs small ball :bang) was smart. Fuckin Lakers..:ihit

mountainballer
02-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Even if Splitter comes we still need to add another legit big to the roster. How else do the Spurs plan to get through a healthy Lakers squad? Duncan and Dice getting a year older plus Splitter is not enough. Even though Duncan can play lights out any given game, if we add another big that can play decent D, run the floor, it would allow TD the time to rest that he needs.

Spurs play a 4 men rotation. 5th big isn't in the regular rotation anyhow.
if Spurs have Tim-Splitter-Dice-Blair, any other big wouldn't see many minutes. or do you bench Blair? Dice? Splitter?
I guess all agree that Blair should play at least 25 minutes. and Dice shouldn't play less than 20. and Splitter at least 20. if you have a decent 5th big, you see him play 15 MPG either. so what's the goal? Tim would play 15 minutes? I agree he should get rest, but any somehow competitive Spurs team needs him to play 25-30 minutes.
so, the only option to solve this would be to trade Dice for another big.

rascal
02-24-2010, 09:41 AM

Its a bit of a warning sign that Splitter doesn't block many shots. He is either too slow or doesn't jump well or both and that won't translate well in the nba which is a much quicker game than the foreign leagues.

Splitter may be getting too much hype here.

all_heart
02-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Spurs play a 4 men rotation. 5th big isn't in the regular rotation anyhow.
if Spurs have Tim-Splitter-Dice-Blair, any other big wouldn't see many minutes. or do you bench Blair? Dice? Splitter?
I guess all agree that Blair should play at least 25 minutes. and Dice shouldn't play less than 20. and Splitter at least 20. if you have a decent 5th big, you see him play 15 MPG either. so what's the goal? Tim would play 15 minutes? I agree he should get rest, but any somehow competitive Spurs team needs him to play 25-30 minutes.
so, the only option to solve this would be to trade Dice for another big.

You have 2 bigs on the floor at all times, so yes, bench Dice, sure you can trade him but what do you really expect back for him? LaMarcus Aldridge?! Only if it's a Lakers-Memphis trade..

Having another legit big, will leave some hope for the Spurs after Tim retires.

yavozerb
02-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Its a bit of a warning sign that Splitter doesn't block many shots. He is either too slow or doesn't jump well or both and that won't translate well in the nba which is a much quicker game than the foreign leagues.

Maybe so...But he is without a doubt better than anything the spurs could draft next season or get via FA for around MLE. The spurs are not that far off from being a top 3 NBA team again. I for one will never say he will be an all-star type player, but I do believe he has the skills to be a solid 5 in the NBA for a long time.

TimDunkem
02-24-2010, 09:56 AM

Splitter is not much of a shot blocker, but neither is a guy like Scola. Would you accept him on this team?

Hey, maybe we'll luck out and RC will send him an email telling him he doesn't block enough shots. :lol :rolleyes

all_heart
02-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Maybe so...But he is without a doubt better than anything the spurs could draft next season or get via FA for around MLE. The spurs are not that far off from being a top 3 NBA team again. I for one will never say he will be an all-star type player, but I do believe he has the skills to be a solid 5 in the NBA for a long time.

With the right pieces and chemistry that's true, but right now.. it's fugly!!

all_heart
02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Splitter is not much of a shot blocker, but neither is a guy like Scola. Would you accept him on this team?

Hey, maybe we'll luck out and RC will send him an email telling him he doesn't block enough shots. :lol :rolleyes

With TD in his prime, yes of course. But now we are at the point where we need a big body that can battle for boards, alter shots, etc.. Tim can be that guy on some nights, but we need that kind of player every night.

Chieflion
02-24-2010, 10:13 AM
With TD in his prime, yes of course. But now we are at the point where we need a big body that can battle for boards, alter shots, etc.. Tim can be that guy on some nights, but we need that kind of player every night.

I am thinking beggars can't be choosers at this point. I would take whatever useful player that comes along.

TimDunkem
02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I am thinking beggars can't be choosers at this point. I would take whatever useful player that comes along.
So, he basically said no, he wouldn't take Scola. :lol With the trash the Spurs put on the floor every night (Bogans, Bonner, RJ at PF), who wouldn't want Splitter, or Scola?

FYI people, just because a guy doesn't average 3 blocks a game doesn't mean they can't block at all, let a lone not contribute to a team that looks like they might not even make the playoffs.

SenorSpur
02-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Even if Manu defects and Splitter declines, the Spurs still have TD and Parker. With Hill, Blair, first round pick, MLE and the possibility of additions through trade (RJ and Dice expiring) I'd say the Spurs can still put together a competitive squad.

You and I actually may be speaking the same language (TD/Parker plus mostly young fillers), but you call that a "blow up". My definition of a "blow up" is the Spurs trading Parker for young talent, picks and expiring contracts...basically putting to rest any chance that Duncan has at another ring.

That's something I don't see as likely with Duncan still in a Spurs uni.

Gotcha. Sounds like we are saying the same thing.

Don't forget to add the word "inexpensive" to the "young fillers" part. The Spurs probably will be able to add at least one mid-priced free agent, but it's more likely they'll be forced into filling out the roster with young players.

The reason I called this a "rebuild" is because Pop would be forced to move away from his long-standing strategy of bringing in the over-the-hill, end-of-career, experienced veterans that he values so much. That would be a most difficult philosophy change for him.

IMHO, one reason his strategy hasn't worked so much lately is because the Spurs could ill afford the price tags of these veterans in their primes. When their skills declined and they were either released or were at the end of their contract, Pop, still holding them in high esteem for their past work, tended to get them a year or three too late. See Kurt Thomas, Michael Finley, Nick Van Exel, Damon Stoudamire.

rascal
02-24-2010, 12:16 PM

Scola is not a 7' center.

rascal
02-24-2010, 12:25 PM
A 7' center that doesn't block many shots shows a lack of athleticism. If he can't block many shots in the Euro leagues how can he protect the rim defensively in the NBA?

I never saw him play other than a couple of highlights. But he looked a bit awkward making a couple shots over smaller players. Not sure he is a slam dunk for a solid NBA player.

Not expecting him to be too athletic with quickness and jumping ability. Too much hype here for Splitter.

TJastal
02-24-2010, 02:00 PM

Scola would have been perfect for the spurs a few years ago when Duncan still had some mobility, now not so much (but I'd still take him over Bonner for what he's getting paid).

If Splitter is in the same class as Scola (and that is a huge if at this point) his skillset won't be a great compliment to Duncan either.

yavozerb
02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
A 7' center that doesn't block many shots shows a lack of athleticism. If he can't block many shots in the Euro leagues how can he protect the rim defensively in the NBA?

I never saw him play other than a couple of highlights. But he looked a bit awkward making a couple shots over smaller players. Not sure he is a slam dunk for a solid NBA player.

Not expecting him to be too athletic with quickness and jumping ability. Too much hype here for Splitter.

Seriously, you guys are taking this block stat as if it makes or breaks a good NBA center..
Nene = 0.89 bpg
Al Jefferson = 1.14 bpg
Anderson Verejao = 0.98 bpg

So because these guys (all 6'10 or greater) do not block alot of shots you would not want them at center for the spurs?
I understand you guys do not like splitter, but to keep to finding reasons why he will not become a legitimate NBA center is getting pretty ridiculous..

portnoy1
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
If he is a 7footer(see - blair) can move his feet well(see bonner) and isnt over 55years old (Dice) I'm all for him.

The Franchise
02-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Let's trade his rights to Houston then... for cash.

:tu

southerndownfan
02-24-2010, 10:11 PM
I have been over splitter for awhile now...he is never coming.

Josepatches_
02-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Well,yesterday newspaper MARCA here say Real Madrid want Rudy Fernandez next year who isn't happy in portland right now.McMillan use him only as a 3point shooter when he is one of the players more similar to Manu that i have seen.Of course you can't play enough when you have Brandon Roy in your position.

So if it's true then Madrid isn't going to fight for Splitter.Of course Rudy is more popular here.Obviously he's not the Cristiano Ronaldo of the basketball either but he's more important than Splitter if we talk about fans and money and that's what Perez wants for the basketball team of Real Madrid like he did in soccer.

Mel_13
03-17-2010, 09:16 AM

--

Objective, it may be time to talk to your lawyers. One of the guys at the local paper is using your ideas, except he attributes them to an unnamed NBA exec.

Apparently its OK for ESPN to excerpt huge chunks of these articles. Scroll down the page for the Splitter story. They use much more than two sentences, but here are the last two:

'That's why they're probably not going to get him, even for the full mid-level,' said one NBA executive. 'If you've got a nice, guaranteed deal over in Europe, why would you sign over here and face a lockout? I'm telling you, the full mid-level probably isn't going to get it done.' "

Hmmm...looks familiar.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop

TimmehC
03-17-2010, 09:26 AM
'That's why they're probably not going to get him, even for the full mid-level,' said one NBA executive. 'If you've got a nice, guaranteed deal over in Europe, why would you sign over here and face a lockout? I'm telling you, the full mid-level probably isn't going to get it done.' "

Hmmm...looks familiar.

That quote was also in an article today from that newspaper which shall not be named.

Mel_13
03-17-2010, 09:27 AM
That quote was also in an article today from that newspaper which shall not be named.

One of the guys at the local paper is using your ideas

ElNono
03-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Objective the "NBA Executive". Who would've thought?

TimmehC
03-17-2010, 09:33 AM
ahhh, my bad. Your link was to BSPN.

Mel_13
03-17-2010, 09:36 AM
ahhh, my bad. Your link was to BSPN.

Exactly, no need to send anyone to the other site when they allow ESPN to excerpt huge chunks of their articles.

Blackjack
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Exactly, no need to send anyone to the other site when they allow ESPN to excerpt huge chunks of their articles.

You're a better man than I, Mel. I would've copied the whole excerpt (chunk) and linked True Hoop.

Loopholes are fun. :lol

Oh ... and it's nice to see Monroe finally getting up to speed and out in front of a story. I'm impressed he's been following 'Tau Ceramica'.

Chieflion
03-17-2010, 12:29 PM
You're a better man than I, Mel. I would've copied the whole excerpt (chunk) and linked True Hoop.

Loopholes are fun. :lol

Not as fun as writing your own articles. :hat

Blackjack
03-17-2010, 12:33 PM
THC is looking to add a full-time columnist, Chieflion. :smokin

Spurs Brazil
03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
MLE is overpaid Tiago a lot. A deal starting at $3 million is fair

Mel_13
03-17-2010, 12:54 PM

A deal starting at $3M has no chance of getting it done.

If the Spurs want Splitter, it won't be a question of what is fair but rather what it will take to get him to leave Europe.

Spurs Brazil
03-17-2010, 01:00 PM

If the Spurs want Splitter, it won't be a question of what is fair but rather what it will take to get him to leave Europe.

I'd rather spend the full MLE on another player and not Tiago

mountainballer
03-17-2010, 01:02 PM

+1

and if "fair" was a category in the NBA, at least 50% of all NBA players would need to return half or all of their salary.

yavozerb
03-17-2010, 01:26 PM

You obviously do not know the going rate for an average (not good or great) NBA bigman..Please find a average starting NBA center (not under rookie contract) for 3 mil..5 mil for splitter is a bargain, now whether he comes or not is another issue.

Johnny RIngo
03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
You obviously do not know the going rate for an average (not good or great) NBA bigman..Please find a average starting NBA center (not under rookie contract) for 3 mil..5 mil for splitter is a bargain, now whether he comes or not is another issue.

How do you know Splitter will even be any good?

NFGIII
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM

We don't and you only have to look at Ian to know that even after 5 years we really STILL don't know if he is any good, too. But there is that old saying in BB "you can't teach height" and 7' centers are hard to come by and he would be something that this team can use. Pop will then be able to actually play the twin tower part of his defensive plan, which he hasn't been able to do since Rasho/Nazr split years ago. Please don't even try to mention Elson as an adequate replacement for either of those two. Ain't happening! :depressed

IF Splitter does come then we need a perimeter stopper and we're back in business. Maybe Malik can be that player. But this subject matter is for another thread.

As many have already stated this is going to be an interesting summer. Will Splitter come or is he going to get an incredibly insane offer from Real Madrid and stay? Will the Spurs extend him the MLE or try to low ball him? Or will there be a meeting in the middle? Guess we'll find out this summer. If he really wants to play in the NBA and actually compete for a championship then he had better come next year. Waiting another couple of years will not work since TD will be gone and the Spurs in full rebuilding mode.

TD's window is closing and the Spurs need for Splitter to come over now. Waiting isn't an option for the Spurs and if he decides to stay then sell his rights and get someone at the 5 to compliment TD. Once TD is gone competing for a championship will be years away at best unless a miracle or two happens. IMHO that is.

Spurs Brazil
03-17-2010, 02:45 PM

It'll be his 1st contract. He hasn't proved anything in NBA. Full MLE is A LOT

Scola signed a 3-year contract worth $9,500,000.00 and I guarantee he's better than Tiago

If Tiago wants to come on a contract similar to Scola I'm fine, other than that I'd rather see the Spurs spend their money on other players

scottspurs
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Espn Insider mentions Splitter probably not coming, then mentions Bosh as a potential sign and trade option with toronto according to a league executive. Would the rights to Splitter and either Tony Parker (actual value) and/or Richard jefferson (cap relief) do the job. Bosh is from Texas he might be interested and I'm sure the Raptors don't want to lose him for nothing.

ttp://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Why Splitter may not sign with Spurs
9:39
AM ET
San Antonio Spurs Top Email

The Spurs drafted Tiago Splitter in the first round of the 2007 NBA draft. The Spurs are no longer bound to just the rookie wage scale to sign Splitter and will probably use most, if not all of the mid-level exception to bring him over from Spain this summer.

That is the Spurs plan, but it could be thwarted by the looming lockout in 2011. Splitter and his new agent, Arn Tellem, may decide they'll wait to sign an NBA contract until the labor dispute is over.

"That's why they're probably not going to get him, even for the full mid-level," one NBA executive tells the San Antonio Express-News. "If you've got a nice, guaranteed deal over in Europe, why would you sign over here and face a lockout? I'm telling you, the full mid-level probably isn't going to get it done."

"It's more likely they'll try to do a sign-and-trade that includes his rights," added the executive. "Maybe he can end up in a deal involving Chris Bosh." -espn insider.

What could work:

Tony Parker and Ian Mahinmi (sign and trade) and Matt Bonner (sign and trade) and the rights to Splitter to Toronto for:

Chris Bosh (sign and trade) to Spurs

This would work out for everyone. Toronto would get something of value back for Bosh with Tony Parker. Toronto would get two young bigs with potential in Ian and Tiago. Mahinmi gets the playing time he wants. Bonner gets to return to toronto where he will feel comfortable. Tiago can wait out the labor deal. Parker can play for his national team and become the go to guy. Spurs get the return of the Twin Towers and a Duncan replacement and the Dynasty continues.

I really do think this is possible. What do you think?

yavozerb
03-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Espn Insider mentions Splitter probably not coming, then mentions Bosh as a potential sign and trade option with toronto according to a league executive. Would the rights to Splitter and either Tony Parker (actual value) and/or Richard jefferson (cap relief) do the job. Bosh is from Texas he might be interested and I'm sure the Raptors don't want to lose him for nothing.

ttp://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Why Splitter may not sign with Spurs
9:39
AM ET
San Antonio Spurs Top Email

The Spurs drafted Tiago Splitter in the first round of the 2007 NBA draft. The Spurs are no longer bound to just the rookie wage scale to sign Splitter and will probably use most, if not all of the mid-level exception to bring him over from Spain this summer.

That is the Spurs plan, but it could be thwarted by the looming lockout in 2011. Splitter and his new agent, Arn Tellem, may decide they'll wait to sign an NBA contract until the labor dispute is over.

"That's why they're probably not going to get him, even for the full mid-level," one NBA executive tells the San Antonio Express-News. "If you've got a nice, guaranteed deal over in Europe, why would you sign over here and face a lockout? I'm telling you, the full mid-level probably isn't going to get it done."

"It's more likely they'll try to do a sign-and-trade that includes his rights," added the executive. "Maybe he can end up in a deal involving Chris Bosh." -espn insider.

What could work:

Tony Parker and Ian Mahinmi (sign and trade) and Matt Bonner (sign and trade) and the rights to Splitter to Toronto for:

This would work out for everyone. Toronto would get something of value back for Bosh with Tony Parker. Toronto would get two young bigs with potential in Ian and Tiago. Mahinmi gets the playing time he wants. Bonner gets to return to toronto where he will feel comfortable. Tiago can wait out the labor deal. Parker can play for his national team and become the go to guy. Spurs get the return of the Twin Towers and a Duncan replacement and the Dynasty continues.

Freaking horrible...No way I give away bonner in his prime!!

TJastal
03-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Freaking horrible...No way I give away bonner in his prime!!

r u being serious?

TFloss32
03-17-2010, 03:04 PM

I don't expect the Spurs to lowball him and I don't expect Manu to ask for much. I'd be very surprised if he's not in a Spurs uniform next year.

Mel_13
03-17-2010, 03:07 PM
What do you think?

There's no way that Bosh becomes a Spur. This has been discussed many times before. IF Toronto is unable to resign Bosh and IF they decide to do a sign and trade, the Spurs will never be able to put together the best package.

btw, the article that ESPN insider lifted this from has been posted twice today, including once in this thread.

TJastal
03-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I would think the raptors could augment their roster in better ways than Parker, Bonner, and Splitter.

I don't think the raptors would want another point guard w/ Weems and Calderon on the roster already.

But, if this trade happened I certainly wouldn't be complaining. George Hill would have the keys to the ferrari, Bosh would replace Bonner and we'd finally get something for that wasted pick on Splitter

jjktkk
03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Scola would have been perfect for the spurs a few years ago when Duncan still had some mobility, now not so much (but I'd still take him over Bonner for what he's getting paid).

If Splitter is in the same class as Scola (and that is a huge if at this point) his skillset won't be a great compliment to Duncan either.

I disagree. If Splitter comes over and shows that he can be serviceable, and what I mean by serviceable, I mean a Fabricio Oberto type who can post up, or at least score on putbacks, show that he can be an adequate defender and rebounder, he would be an asset, just because of his size and above mentioned skill sets. And if he does have Scola like talent, IMO that could be a big asset, just because Splitter is a legit 6'11"/7'0" guy, who paired with Duncan, or Blair, would lessen the need for Pop's smallball and hopefully match up with the bigger teams in the league. Maybe alot of if's, but not too far-fetched.

TimmehC
03-17-2010, 03:12 PM

What could work:

The newspaper which shall not be named said that the Bosh sign-and-trade scenario would have the Spurs as a third-party facilitator, not the team that actually lands Bosh. Then again, they also said that Splitter plays for Tau Ceramica.

jjktkk
03-17-2010, 03:18 PM

You don't really. You just have to believe in your scouts and coaches. Plus what is your definition of good? Good meaning a all-star caliber player, or good meaning a guy who at the very least, can be the 1st big off the bench, or even start alongside Duncan? IMO signing Splitter for the MLE is worth the risk.

stnick2261
03-17-2010, 03:43 PM

I may be wrong but I believe the MLE is defined as the "average salary". Teams are not supposed to be able to add a superstar to their roster once they are already over the cap... but they are allowed to add an "average" player. Now, this summer a bunch of teams have cap space to sign Lebron and only 1 team will get him. The rest of the teams will overpay to get the FA scrap leftovers. We are in the position to get a FA this summer who can't sign with any other NBA teams and will therefore get an "average" salary if he decides to come over. I guarantee you that there will be no other NBA FAs better than Splitter who will be signed for less than the MLE this summer.

spurs50_
03-17-2010, 03:51 PM
I hope we find out before the draft if Splitter is coming. We need a big man to play with Tim.

Mixability
03-17-2010, 03:58 PM
IMO signing Splitter for the MLE is worth the risk.

objective
03-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Objective, it may be time to talk to your lawyers. One of the guys at the local paper is using your ideas, except he attributes them to an unnamed NBA exec.

Apparently its OK for ESPN to excerpt huge chunks of these articles. Scroll down the page for the Splitter story. They use much more than two sentences, but here are the last two:

Hmmm...looks familiar.

What can I say, once again I'm ahead of the curve! :lol

But seriously, I even pointed that out in the Express News linkkilling thread. The Express News doesn't have any insight that wasn't posted here for weeks if not months in advance. All people ever get from that rag is after-the-fact insider info from Buck Harvey, king of line-breaks.

Even 48 Minutes of Kool-Aid had a post about "Mike Monroe's depressing insight (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/03/10/mike-monroes-depressing-insight/)" about the alleged 'insight' regarding Splitter being affected by a lockout. That's straight up what I've posted here and in the Think Tank for MONTHS. How useful is Monroe's insight when it's been in the Spurs cyberverse repeatedly for months?

Monroe hasn't had any insight since he was a national clown, maybe not even then. The Spurs writers are clowns. They rip from this board and want credit for it (and get it from ESPN affiliated blogs like 48MoH). If they really knew what they were doing they'd just bite off everything I and others here post, because then they would have informed their readers with solid speculation that predicted Haislip asking for his release to go back to Europe and Finley asking for a buyout.

If people want the best Spurs insight, then ST is the place to be.

Maybe Blackjack can tell his friends at 48MoK to just concentrate on following the lead of more of the posters here instead of the Express News so they won't be months behind (Splitter) or shocked (Haislip and Finley). :rollin No offense, brah.

NFGIII
03-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Monroe hasn't had any insight since he was a national clown, maybe not even then. The Spurs writers are clowns. They rip from this board and want credit for it (and get it from ESPN affiliated blogs like 48MoH). If they really knew what they were doing they'd just bite off everything I and others here post, because then they would have informed their readers with solid speculation that predicted Haislip asking for his release to go back to Europe and Finley asking for a buyout.

Ditto. I really miss Ludden as do many others here at ST from many past posts on this subject.

SenorSpur
03-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Even if he does want to come over, Splitter doesn't deserve anything more than the MLE. It would be a mistake to break the bank on an unproven player. Of course, the Spurs probably will have no option other than to trade his rights.

They should've dumped him at the trade deadline.

Bruno
03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I would be damn shocked if Splitter get a full MLE salary ($6M per year). I think he will get $3M per year, maybe $4M if he negotiates well.

Blackjack
03-17-2010, 05:25 PM
What can I say, once again I'm ahead of the curve! :lol

But seriously, I even pointed that out in the Express News linkkilling thread. The Express News doesn't have any insight that wasn't posted here for weeks if not months in advance. All people ever get from that rag is after-the-fact insider info from Buck Harvey, king of line-breaks.

Even 48 Minutes of Kool-Aid had a post about "Mike Monroe's depressing insight (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/03/10/mike-monroes-depressing-insight/)" about the alleged 'insight' regarding Splitter being affected by a lockout. That's straight up what I've posted here and in the Think Tank for MONTHS. How useful is Monroe's insight when it's been in the Spurs cyberverse repeatedly for months?

Maybe Blackjack can tell his friends at 48MoK to just concentrate on following the lead of more of the posters here instead of the Express News so they won't be months behind (Splitter) or shocked (Haislip and Finley). :rollin No offense, brah.

You mad?:lol

mogrovejo
03-17-2010, 05:49 PM
People must have no idea of how much is Splitter making in Europe. $3.5 millions/year covers his current contract. If the Spurs throw the MLE at him he'll sign with them, lockout or no lockout. This is a different situation than the one in the '08 Summer.

Now, if the Spurs don't want to pay the man and are trying to ship out his NBA rights that's a different story.

Bruno
03-17-2010, 05:59 PM
It's also very difficult to determine how much money will be offered to Splitter by European teams.

Greece is facing a major financial crisis. It's far from sure that Olympiacos or Panty Tacos are ready to spend a lot of money this summer.

Real Madrid was said to be interested in Splitter but their soccer section has been a disaster this year while they spend a lot of money on it. I can see them spending all their money to fix their soccer team and being quiet on the basketball front.

Splitter getting big offers from European teams is far from a sure thing. Monroe article is quite clueless about that.

objective
03-17-2010, 11:06 PM
You mad?:lol

I is furious with righteous angers! :lol

Blackjack
03-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Well ... at least Ian didn't look like he could possibly contribute out on the court tonight, so that's got to at least lower the ol' blood-pressure; we've been extremely foolish and naive to ever question the Spurs and Pop.

I know I'm going to sleep better at night.:)

TDMVPDPOY
03-17-2010, 11:43 PM
spurs fo will get desperate and overpay for unproven player in the nba

but anything 4-5m a season on short term contract is worth it....6m is overpaying

objective
03-17-2010, 11:52 PM
the MLE will probably drop to the point where even a full MLE deal with max raises might not even reach $6 million.

If not Splitter this summer, and the Spurs are willing to spend the MLE, there's not too much else considering how many teams will have huge caproom and the ability to pay more than MLE to anyone worth something.

Maybe they can settle on Ray Allen, or Josh Howard. Marcus Camby could probably be had for MLE or less. Jermaine O'Neal or Udonis Haslem. Mike Miller?

Everyone else worthwhile should get more than MLE, like David Lee.

Best thing to do now is to just swallow their pride and play out with Mahinmi. If Mahinmi sucks, so what, they can count on Splitter coming or some other MLE signing and they weren't bringing Ian back anyway.

If Ian is good and gets the attention of other teams (like up to the MLE), it doesn't matter if Splitter signs because then there'd be no room in the rotation for Ian with TD, Splitter, Blair, McDyess and Floor-Spreading PF on the roster.

If Ian is good and Splitter doesn't sign, then the Spurs could just use the portion of the MLE necessary on Ian instead of Jermaine O'Neal or Marcus Camby who are due to break down and disappoint just like McDyess this year.

timaios
03-18-2010, 12:14 AM
It's also very difficult to determine how much money will be offered to Splitter by European teams.

Greece is facing a major financial crisis. It's far from sure that Olympiacos or Panty Tacos are ready to spend a lot of money this summer.

Real Madrid was said to be interested in Splitter but their soccer section has been a disaster this year while they spend a lot of money on it. I can see them spending all their money to fix their soccer team and being quiet on the basketball front.

Splitter getting big offers from European teams is far from a sure thing. Monroe article is quite clueless about that.

Come on, they lost again in Champions League 1/8 Final but they are 1st in Spain league... in front of Barcelona.
It's not a disaster... yet.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Come on, they lost again in Champions League 1/8 Final but they are 1st in Spain league... in front of Barcelona.

They had a decent year but they spent some hella money to do it...

timaios
03-18-2010, 12:35 AM
They had a decent year but they spent some hella money to do it...

If they win the spanish league in front of Barcelona (the best team in the world), we can't say their season is a disaster.
Just sayin'...

And they have a lot of new players this season, they will be better next year with more chemistry.

FeZZy
03-18-2010, 01:02 AM
man fuck that nigga if he doesnt wanna come play for his pride then he is a pussy, no he is not a savior he's just gonna be another rasho

TDMVPDPOY
03-18-2010, 01:02 AM

i doubt barca gives a shit about domestic bball league anyway where they dont make much money compared to their football team...

timaios
03-18-2010, 01:11 AM
i doubt barca gives a shit about domestic bball league anyway where they dont make much money compared to their football team...

I was talking about football.

gospursgojas
03-18-2010, 01:28 AM
I didn't feel like reading 11 pages...

Someone please tell me at least 9 of the 11, were posts about how this was a wasted draft pick since the begining and article is no suprise.

AND....not 11 pages of people crying as if this guy was gonna save the franchise.

TJastal
03-18-2010, 01:35 AM
I didn't feel like reading 11 pages...

Someone please tell me at least 9 of the 11, were posts about how this was a wasted draft pick since the begining and article is no suprise.

AND....not 11 pages of people crying as if this guy was gonna save the franchise.

No, there are still scores of posters who actually think he is still coming to save the franchise...

It's really getting sad ..

TJastal
03-18-2010, 02:14 AM

Yup I know nothing about basketball...........

Last night, that 'idiot' with an IQ of a watermelon was a beast against OKC. His line of 11/9/2/2 in 21 minutes helped obviously but it was mainly his huge defensive plays (blocks and steals) down the stretch in the 2nd half that ignited the shorthanded bobcats to a comeback victory.

Another thing about Thomas is he doesn't concede anything around the rim. Durant found out the hard way when Thomas took his driving layup and sent it heading the opposite direction. Then Jeff Green found out when Thomas met him in mid-air and sent him crashing to the floor in pain, and the officials even whisted Green for using his off arm on the play.

People need to recognize this is an athlete's league now and there are few better than T squared.

lennyalderette
03-18-2010, 11:26 AM
@Tjastal
so are you pretty confident tiago is staying in europe ???????????? not being sarcastic i just noticed the comments about the people on here waiting for tiago to save our spurs, you seem like a smart dude, so just wanted to know your honest opinion

TJastal
03-18-2010, 01:11 PM
@Tjastal
so are you pretty confident tiago is staying in europe ???????????? not being sarcastic i just noticed the comments about the people on here waiting for tiago to save our spurs, you seem like a smart dude, so just wanted to know your honest opinion

I'd give it a >1% chance he'll be a spur next season.

As KBP posted in the nba forum he will be offered substantially more money to stay in Europe, the nba caps are due to shrink due to lower revenues and the spurs aren't really in a position to get into a bidding war anyway.

That's to say nothing about other factors other than $$$, I think if SA was in a total rebuild mode with a new coach there would at least be a chance he's be considering it, but given what he probably sees (a quirky coach w/ no confidence in his bigs, playing small ball, big men riding the bench and/or let go), and he probably doesn't know for sure how his game is going to translate to the nba (and neither does anyone else), the fact that the big 3 are still playing and the spurs trying to field a champion, and finally he'd be thrown into a major pressure cooker to provide immediate results. His agent has probably discussed all this with him already and he is well aware of all of this.

I'd say its possible he might come in another 4-5 years ala Sabonis (as somebody else mentioned in this thread) after he's made his fortune in Europe and has little else to prove there and the big 3 are all retired and the spurs are in a rebuilding phase and there would be little pressure on him.

Mel_13
03-18-2010, 01:16 PM

As KBP posted

:lol

1. How much greater than 1%.

2. KBP as a reliable source.

spurtech09
03-18-2010, 01:20 PM
spurs just got to move on this guy ain't coming to SA.....I don't think he's gonna help the spurs anyways.....

mogrovejo
03-18-2010, 01:37 PM
It's probable that Splitter follows the example of Sabonis and not of Marc Gasol, Scola, Ginobili, Stojakovic or Jasikevicius because he's a soviet citizen and that complicates matters.

mountainballer
03-19-2010, 12:27 PM

yeah, two paradox are better than one. well, to be fair, point one isn't exactly a paradox. just nice to know there is a 98,99999999...% chance Tiago will be a Spurs next season.
I can live with that, knowing nothing is 100% but death and taxes.

temujin
03-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Yup I know nothing about basketball...........

Last night, that 'idiot' with an IQ of a watermelon was a beast against OKC. His line of 11/9/2/2 in 21 minutes helped obviously but it was mainly his huge defensive plays (blocks and steals) down the stretch in the 2nd half that ignited the shorthanded bobcats to a comeback victory.

Another thing about Thomas is he doesn't concede anything around the rim. Durant found out the hard way when Thomas took his driving layup and sent it heading the opposite direction. Then Jeff Green found out when Thomas met him in mid-air and sent him crashing to the floor in pain, and the officials even whisted Green for using his off arm on the play.

People need to recognize this is an athlete's league now and there are few better than T squared.

Smart players don't play for losers.

But then, again, I understand you sympathize for these irrelevant players in irrelevnat teams that will never ever win anything.

AFBlue
03-19-2010, 03:10 PM

The second one jumped right out at me. I said to myself "did he just quote KBP? end thread".

jjktkk
03-19-2010, 03:34 PM
While its highly doubtful Splitter will be a "savior", if he comes over next year, Splitter's has the size and skill set that would be a asset to a team obviously lacking front-line depth, like the Spurs.

lotr1trekkie
03-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Manu came for less then he could have made in Euro. Scola was willing to come for a reasonable amount. His next contract will be huge. If Splitter is simply about $$$ then I say let him rot in Europe. We have 2 years left with Tim and Manu. Sign him or trade his rights for a high #1 draft choice or is that illegal. We need a center and another impact player.

TJastal
03-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Smart players don't play for losers.

But then, again, I understand you sympathize for these irrelevant players in irrelevnat teams that will never ever win anything.

Yah, that sad bobcats franchise is headed nowhere now that MJ is the majority owner of the team. That darn MJ was such a loser.

Mel_13
03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Yah, that sad bobcats franchise is headed nowhere now that MJ is the majority owner of the team. That darn MJ was such a loser.

Kwame Brown

Adam Morrison

Sean May

Greatness as a player has not been a good predictor of success as an executive. Jordan's record to date in Washington and Charlotte has been below average.

Jerry West was a great exec, but there are many more great players who failed. Elgin Baylor, Isiah Thomas, Kevin McHale, Willis Reed, Wes Unseld, etc.

TJastal
03-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Kwame Brown

Adam Morrison

Sean May

Greatness as a player has not been a good predictor of success as an executive. Jordan's record to date in Washington and Charlotte has been below average.

Jerry West was a great exec, but there are many more great players who failed. Elgin Baylor, Isiah Thomas, Kevin McHale, Willis Reed, Wes Unseld, etc.

Your right. Maybe that's why he's trying the ownership gig, which should keep him partially at bay from trying to make decisions concerning the affairs of the team.

You'd think, anyway.

MJ debate aside, I think the cats' look like one of the up and coming teams in the league, especially on the defensive side of things and that was even before they added Ratliff and Thomas.

Mel_13
03-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Your right. Maybe that's why he's trying the ownership gig, which should keep him partially at bay from trying to make decisions concerning the affairs of the team.

You'd think, anyway.

MJ debate aside, I think the cats' look like one of the up and coming teams in the league, especially on the defensive side of things and that was even before they added Ratliff and Thomas.

We'll see. They have several overpaid players

MJ has already said that he won't pay the luxury tax. Take a look at the players under contract for next season. They're going to need someone to take a large contract off their hands in order to tender a 6M QO to Thomas and still remain below the tax. They're at 60M for 10 players without including Felton or Thomas. Over 52M just for Chandler, Wallace, Diaw, Jackson, Nazr, and Diop.

mingus
03-19-2010, 05:49 PM
people who are bashing tyrus for his low bball iq are probably the same people (many of them percieved as so-called "experts 'round here) who bashed Michael Petrius for having low bball iq and used that as an argument for not signing him. he might not have a great bball iq, but he's been instrumental in Orlando's success the last two years, and he's be a much better fit than Bogan's, Hairston, RMJ.

TIMMYD!
03-19-2010, 06:03 PM
I've wanted Thomas since forever.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131938

jjktkk
03-19-2010, 09:22 PM
people who are bashing tyrus for his low bball iq are probably the same people (many of them percieved as so-called "experts 'round here) who bashed Michael Petrius for having low bball iq and used that as an argument for not signing him. he might not have a great bball iq, but he's been instrumental in Orlando's success the last two years, and he's be a much better fit than Bogan's, Hairston, RMJ.

I wanted Thomas, but not at the expense of trading a 1st rounder. I did think it odd that Chicago wanted to give away a lottery pick talent like Thomas. And, although hes a pretty good player, I wanna see how he holds up next year, under the bulldog coaching of Brown.

rascal
03-19-2010, 09:49 PM

As KBP posted in the nba forum he will be offered substantially more money to stay in Europe, the nba caps are due to shrink due to lower revenues and the spurs aren't really in a position to get into a bidding war anyway.

That's to say nothing about other factors other than $$$, I think if SA was in a total rebuild mode with a new coach there would at least be a chance he's be considering it, but given what he probably sees (a quirky coach w/ no confidence in his bigs, playing small ball, big men riding the bench and/or let go), and he probably doesn't know for sure how his game is going to translate to the nba (and neither does anyone else), the fact that the big 3 are still playing and the spurs trying to field a champion, and finally he'd be thrown into a major pressure cooker to provide immediate results. His agent has probably discussed all this with him already and he is well aware of all of this.

I'd say its possible he might come in another 4-5 years ala Sabonis (as somebody else mentioned in this thread) after he's made his fortune in Europe and has little else to prove there and the big 3 are all retired and the spurs are in a rebuilding phase and there would be little pressure on him.

Thats the mental makeup of a soft wimp. Another 4-5 years! The spurs should just pass on this guy.

L.I.T
03-19-2010, 10:08 PM

You'd think, anyway.

I like the 'Cats a lot, but I don't think you can call them an up and coming team in the league. At best, they have a two year window to be competitive with their current talent and age levels.

Stephen Jackson is 31 and will not remain an elite scorer for long. As a matter of fact, I don't think you could call him an elite scorer today. He's a volume shooter. Tough as nails though.

Gerald Wallace is 27 and with his past injury history, I don't think over the downside of his career he's going to turn durable all of a sudden.

Raymond Felton at 25 is a good young solid point guard, but not someone you build around. He's good, no doubt. But as his career progresses is probably better suited to coming off the bench as a back up PG.

DJ Augustin at 22 is still raw. But I think it's become apparent he is not a franchise players.

Boris Diaw is 27, but with the way he eats is probably closer to 30.

Aside from that their bigs encompass a broken down Chandler (27), Ratliff (36), Nazr (32). Their only real young big talent is Ty Thomas. And despite what you may think, it's pretty apparent he's not a franchise player.

Rebuilding their bench in the offseason and hopefully bringing in some younger front court talent will help them stay competitive. But their top 2 players are 32 and 27: age and injury history are not in their favor. Two years at most if they stay with their current core and likely will never sniff a championship.

Up-and-coming? Not so much. Fun to watch them defensively? Definitely.

Harry Callahan
03-19-2010, 10:16 PM
I would not trust M Jordan to run my business. He was a great player, but he has no patience with players who will never be as good as he was. The Wizards are still recovering from his management errors.

Back to Splitter, its time to crap or get off the pot. He needs to get to the NBA now where he still has a chance to truly develop against the best players at a fairly young age.

He has a decent amount of $ in the bank now and the family situation has now changed.

He is no longer restricted to the rookie salary scale because he's been in Europe awhile. His best friend Scola stayed over in Europe a couple of years too long and missed out on a couple of high salary NBA years as a result (the unreasonable buyouts were to play there for years). Louis is now 30 and is not yet to his second NBA contract.

A decent sized contract with the opportunity to get the NBA time clock started will be in Splitter's best interest.

Splitter is turning 25 and can help the Spurs build on the run with some promising young players already in place and hopefully another decent #1 pick this year. Staying in Europe for four of five more years will retard his development as a player due to the lack of a shortage quality bigs overseas.

TJastal
03-20-2010, 06:51 AM
I like the 'Cats a lot, but I don't think you can call them an up and coming team in the league. At best, they have a two year window to be competitive with their current talent and age levels.

Stephen Jackson is 31 and will not remain an elite scorer for long. As a matter of fact, I don't think you could call him an elite scorer today. He's a volume shooter. Tough as nails though.

Gerald Wallace is 27 and with his past injury history, I don't think over the downside of his career he's going to turn durable all of a sudden.

Raymond Felton at 25 is a good young solid point guard, but not someone you build around. He's good, no doubt. But as his career progresses is probably better suited to coming off the bench as a back up PG.

DJ Augustin at 22 is still raw. But I think it's become apparent he is not a franchise players.

Boris Diaw is 27, but with the way he eats is probably closer to 30.

Aside from that their bigs encompass a broken down Chandler (27), Ratliff (36), Nazr (32). Their only real young big talent is Ty Thomas. And despite what you may think, it's pretty apparent he's not a franchise player.

Rebuilding their bench in the offseason and hopefully bringing in some younger front court talent will help them stay competitive. But their top 2 players are 32 and 27: age and injury history are not in their favor. Two years at most if they stay with their current core and likely will never sniff a championship.

Up-and-coming? Not so much. Fun to watch them defensively? Definitely.

Wow that's quite a laundry list of negatives you've compiled there. I don't even think I could find that much wrong with the nets. I'm particularily impressed with your "non-franchise player" labels.

L.I.T
03-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Wow that's quite a laundry list of negatives you've compiled there. I don't even think I could find that much wrong with nets. I'm particularily impressed with your "non-franchise player" labels.

Quality response.

And if you think that DJ Augustin and Ty Thomas (the only real youth they have on their team, along with Felton) are franchise player material you must be over the moon ecstatic over the championships Hill and Blair are going to bring the Spurs when TD/TP/Manu are traded away this off-season to make way for them.

TJastal
03-20-2010, 07:04 AM
I would not trust M Jordan to run my business. He was a great player, but he has no patience with players who will never be as good as he was. The Wizards are still recovering from his management errors.

Back to Splitter, its time to crap or get off the pot. He needs to get to the NBA now where he still has a chance to truly develop against the best players at a fairly young age.

He has a decent amount of $ in the bank now and the family situation has now changed.

He is no longer restricted to the rookie salary scale because he's been in Europe awhile. His best friend Scola stayed over in Europe a couple of years too long and missed out on a couple of high salary NBA years as a result (the unreasonable buyouts were to play there for years). Louis is now 30 and is not yet to his second NBA contract.

A decent sized contract with the opportunity to get the NBA time clock started will be in Splitter's best interest.

Splitter is turning 25 and can help the Spurs build on the run with some promising young players already in place and hopefully another decent #1 pick this year. Staying in Europe for four of five more years will retard his development as a player due to the lack of a shortage quality bigs overseas.

I think the spurs are better off developing Ian. He'll be much cheaper by a longshot and his talents fit better what the spurs need (athleticism / shot-blocking). Plus he has NBA experience under his belt and some spurs experience too).

yavozerb
03-20-2010, 10:08 AM
I think the spurs are better off developing Ian. He'll be much cheaper by a longshot and his talents fit better what the spurs need (athleticism / shot-blocking). Plus he has NBA experience under his belt and some spurs experience too).

:lol, if thats what you call it...You do realize that the spurs have already invested a couple of mil. in trying to develop this guy. Splitter is only 1 year older than mahinmi and has much more Professional basketball experience. I am no european basketball expert, but I have read many more articles touting Splitters skills rather than saying he would be a failure in the NBA. I hope the spurs can re-sign Ian cause he can be a good back up center (energy player) behind Splitter.

Big P
03-20-2010, 10:17 AM

Pretty sure its too late for that...since we did not pick up his option for next year, I expect a team like oklahoma to offer him a contract & Ian with the Spurs is history...unfortunately.

Spurs Brazil
03-24-2010, 10:44 PM
ESPN Brazil is showing Spurs-Lakers and Eduardo Agra, who is doing the game said he talked with Tiago agent and one thing is for sure, he won't stay in Caja Laboral next season. He doesn't know what's going to happen but Caja Laboral isn't a option