PDA

View Full Version : Question????

Betsy
08-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Wasn't SA at one time offered for the Expos to move to but declined it? I thought the Expos have been wanting to leave Montreal for some time now but can't find a city that wants them. Anyway I have an argument going and I thought SA was one of the cities that was an option. I think A MLB team would be a good thing for SA. Does anyone know whether SA was ever an option? :Q

KoriEllis
08-27-2004, 10:57 PM
A while ago they were talking about S.A. as one of their options with also the idea of playing some "home" games in Mexico if they were based in S.A.

I don't think San Antonio has ever turned anyone down. I think it was just in the thought stages.

Pooh
08-27-2004, 11:15 PM
It was thought about briefly, but I think they want a permanent place. Their really trying to put the team in the Washington D.C. area but the owner of the Baltimore Orioles isn't thrilled about that, so he's been blocking it.

KoriEllis
08-27-2004, 11:30 PM
It was thought about briefly, but I think they want a permanent place.

Why wouldn't San Antonio be permanent?

Pooh
08-27-2004, 11:39 PM
From what I remember it would only be here temporarly until a suitable place could be built. Kind of like they are right now over in Puerto Rico and over at the Olympic stadium in Monteral.

SequSpur
08-28-2004, 01:40 AM
San Antonio blows. The only thing we are getting are more breakfast taco stands and raspa carts.

Johnny Blaze 47
08-28-2004, 02:33 AM
Initial thoughts were of the Expos taking over at Wolff Stadium, but with the city's budget crisis and inability to either spend the money or give control of the team to the Missions and the Elmore Group to renovate the stadium, the deal had little to no chance of going through.

Other thoughts had the Expos sharing the team with Round Rock, but with the Ryan Group pursuing and acquiring the Triple-A franchise in Edmonton and likely moving the Astros affiliation to the new Triple-A Round Rock Express, that was also a large factor in keeping SA out of the loop.

Essentialy, the CoSA wouldn't have supported the team and the CoSA wouldn't hve supported the necessary upgrades to Wolff Stadium to house a MLB franchise.

zombie68
08-28-2004, 02:36 AM
The people of Sa think Baseball is boring! NFL or nothing!:next3

Alamo Spurs Fan
08-28-2004, 02:58 AM
I know what's best for San Antonio. Not you peasants. San Antonio needs MLS Soccer in the Alamodome!

Sincerely,
Ed "Can that Brechtel broad...just because!" Garza

Alamo Spurs Fan
08-28-2004, 03:17 AM
I think MLB would be wise to put the Expos in Monterrey, Mexico. The three major leagues in America have all considered Mexico as a future market, but MLB is the only one that would go over like gangbusters.