PDA

View Full Version : Second team?

Trimble87
02-23-2010, 05:18 PM
I dont consider myself in any way a fair weather fan. I've been a die-hard fan since I was 8 and plan on being one til I'm 80. But in the years to come (post Duncan era) it isn't hard to imagine the Spurs becoming the Cowboys of the late 90's - today. I've always had 1 other team in football I root for on the side, once the cowboys get eliminated etc (unfortunayely that team is jacksonville). Given that I have two questions:

If the Spurs get elminated in the first round or (god forbid) miss the playoffs who will you root for?

If/when the spurs fall from grace is there a team you would follow on a yearly basis secondly to the Spurs?

For me its the Bobcats for both answers, as I lived in Charlotte for 6 years after highschool and I love Larry Brown. I also cant imagine rooting for any other western conference teams.

Again, I'm not jumping ship... I will always root for the Spurs when they are playing... I just thought it was an interesting question. :toast

mexicanjunior
02-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Since the Spurs are done this year...I'll probably root for the Magic come playoff time. Howard seems like a good guy...

ffadicted
02-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Chicago's been my number 2 since last season when they got Rose, I'm a huge fan of the guy.
It's also not hard to root for the Thunder even though they're competing in a similar spot as us now, and of course, whoever is playing against the Cavs gets my vote lol

Wombatzu
I wouldn't follow another team...

I'd like to see the Mavs make it to the Finals and lose and Mark Cuban cry (again).

I'll be rooting for the underdogs in the playoffs -- the Bobcats being one.

Of the contenders, I'd like to see the Magic win it all.

spurspokesman
Since the Spurs are done this year...I'll probably root for the Magic come playoff time. Howard seems like a good guy...

Same for me. Howard is a cool cat. The league needs players like him. Just wanna have fun types. For me its whoever beats the hell out of dallas and la. Lol

Mel_13
02-23-2010, 05:44 PM
I really can't root for a second team, but I can root against other teams.

So to the extent that I watch the NBA after the Spurs are eliminated, I will root against:

1. Lakers
2. Celtics
3. Mavs

Schadenfreude can suffice in a pinch.

silverblackfan
02-23-2010, 05:47 PM

So to the extent that I watch the NBA after the Spurs are eliminated, I will root against:

1. Lakers
2. Celtics
3. Mavs

This echos my thoughts.

DesignatedT
02-23-2010, 05:48 PM
anyone but the lakers or mavs.

ill prob catch myself rooting for denver since i see them having a really good chance of winning it all IMO.

duncan228
02-23-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't root for anyone else, but I love the game. If the Spurs aren't playing I'll watch whatever the best match-up is on. In the Playoffs I tend to stay with the West.

Libri
02-23-2010, 05:51 PM

1. Lakers
2. Celtics
3. Mavs

Similar to this. I don't have a second team.

Trimble87
02-23-2010, 05:54 PM
It's also not hard to root for the Thunder even though they're competing in a similar spot as us now.

Durant and the Thunder are very fun to watch.

mudyez
02-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Zombi Sonics + any team that is facing the Lakers!

To some degree also the Mavs, as I'm from germany (its fun to go against them while everyone likes them, but after years of doing so and us not going anywhere, I like to see them win now).

BUT its like Spurs
Spurs again
thinking bout
The Team that should not be named!

Xevious
02-23-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't root for anyone else, but I love the game.
Same.

There's always different teams each year that pique my interest though. If I absolutely had to pick another team to follow this post season, it would be the Thunder. They have an exciting core of young guys, and I'd like to see Durant have some success.

TimmehC
02-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Blazers. Luck has not been kind to me this year.

JR3
02-23-2010, 06:05 PM
I have two... OKC because I went to OU. And the Knicks because I lived there for a while. But this playoffs I am going for whoever can beat the lakers... cavs, denver, and magic have a shot in my opinion.

TDomination
02-23-2010, 06:07 PM

thats how it is for me.

I don't necessarily root for a team, i just root for a team to lose which then makes me a big fan of the team they are playing against. (i.e. Warriors 2007 against Mavs)

So this year I would then become the biggest fans of the teams playing against:
1)Lakers
2)Cavs
3)Mavs

Ocotillo
02-23-2010, 06:32 PM
I am an admitted flake on this sort of issue. I don't have a second team per se but end up really disliking the most recent thorn in the Spurs side whoever that may be.

I still dislike Utah but don't have as much animosity for them as I did back in the David Robinson era when it seemed they steamrolled us in the playoffs every season back then.

The Mavericks are a real pain now because of their fans and Cuban and Jet Terry. Can't stand any of them. :lol

I'll probably end up pulling for someone from the East. There are just too many rivals in the West.

:flag:

jjktkk
02-23-2010, 06:56 PM

1. Lakers
2. Celtics
3. Mavs

+1:toast

Obstructed_View
02-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I won't root for anyone but the Spurs, but there are a dozen teams that are more gratifying to watch than they are.

benefactor
02-23-2010, 07:14 PM
I might bandwagon the Zombie Sonics in the playoffs.

manufan4life
02-23-2010, 07:18 PM
celtics

sa_kid20
02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Well I might favor a team over another in certain match-ups come playoff time, but I never actually "root" for another team other than the Spurs. If it has nothing to do with the Spurs then at the end of the day I won't really give a shit. Like last year I got over the Magic losing to the the Lakers in the Finals in about 5 min. and haven't thought about it since.

in2deep
02-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Orlando and Nuggets/Utah/Portland

HarlemHeat37
02-23-2010, 08:02 PM
I usually cheer for 2 teams, the Spurs and whoever Vince Carter's team is..the Spurs are the only team where I actually *care* about what happens in a serious way..this year VC's team is Orlando and probably will be for a while barring a huge flop, so I'll be cheering for them the next few years, although I'll never reach the point of caring too much about what happens with them or talking about their off-seasons or anything..

The Raptors are the only other team that I genuinely like to see do well..I don't really "cheer" for them, but I like seeing them succeed..that's where I was living when I really got into the NBA and they're my brother's favorite team(he lives there), even though they'll probably never win anything..

The #3 team I "cheer" for is basically whoever plays against the Lakers..I dislike Dallas, Denver, Utah, Portland and teams like that, but I'll always cheer for them when they play against the Lakers..

ElNono
02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't cheer for anybody other than the Spurs...
I simply do not want the Lakers, Celtics or Dallas to win it all, and so I'll be pleased if and when they get kicked out.

Since it looks like we're not going too far, I'll probably catch up a bit with soccer in preparation for the world cup... then I'll resume basketball watching the Turkey worlds

DAF86
02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I don't root for anyone else, but I love the game. If the Spurs aren't playing I'll watch whatever the best match-up is on. In the Playoffs I tend to stay with the West.

:wow an "opinion" post by duncan228.

Slinkyman
02-23-2010, 08:10 PM
http://www.okiebrent.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/oklahoma-city-thunder.jpg

TIMMYD!
02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
I usually root for the Heat because they killed the Mavs.

peskypesky
02-23-2010, 11:08 PM

:toast

to both statements

Brazil
02-23-2010, 11:14 PM

1. Lakers
2. Celtics
3. Mavs

+1

first I will root for whoever is playing these 3 teams then I'll follow the cats (ty jax larry diaw) the bulls (big fan of jo noah and rose) and the blazers (they deserve it)

SouthTexasRancher
02-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Nuggets and Magic with Denver winning it all. :ihit

SouthTexasRancher
02-23-2010, 11:35 PM
I usually cheer for 2 teams, the Spurs and whoever Vince Carter's team is..the Spurs are the only team where I actually *care* about what happens in a serious way..this year VC's team is Orlando and probably will be for a while barring a huge flop, so I'll be cheering for them the next few years, although I'll never reach the point of caring too much about what happens with them or talking about their off-seasons or anything..

The Raptors are the only other team that I genuinely like to see do well..I don't really "cheer" for them, but I like seeing them succeed..that's where I was living when I really got into the NBA and they're my brother's favorite team(he lives there), even though they'll probably never win anything..

The #3 team I "cheer" for is basically whoever plays against the Lakers..I dislike Dallas, Denver, Utah, Portland and teams like that, but I'll always cheer for them when they play against the Lakers..

Classic!!! :toast

#2!
02-24-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm obsessed with the Spurs, but I admittedly have a fairweather approach to the rest of the league. There's the UT connection to the Durantula so I at least have an excuse, but mostly I just really enjoy his game.

Usually its certain players that I like watching; Melo, and KD the most probably. Other than indvidual players I like to watch certain teams play when they're clicking like the Jazz, and the Magic. But I have do disagree with what some have said about Dwight Howard; I love the Magic's ball movement around the perimeter, but I hate watching Howard wasting his natural talents by catching the ball in Timmy's spot when he should be catching deeper ala the Diesel.

SenorSpur
02-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Don't really have a second team. I love the NBA, but watching it is not as much fun when my team sucks.

tdunk21
02-24-2010, 01:15 AM
spurs and cavs.....and if not both of them...then i can take anyone but the fakers......

FeZZy
02-24-2010, 01:20 AM
i really like rooting for the NETS to make the finals :lmao

Frenzy
02-24-2010, 01:28 AM

1. Lakers
2. Celtics
3. Mavs

:tu this

Dro210
02-24-2010, 02:07 AM
Thunder in the West, Bobcats in the East

Thunder over Bobcats

Hawks, Magic, Nuggets cool too

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-24-2010, 03:34 AM
I'm watching a lot more Bucks games (for Bogut - he's legit now, and he's an ol' skool centre, and an Aussie, and a straight-talker, so I love the guy), OKC games (for Durant, Westbrook, Green and Harden), and, strangely, Houston games (I love watching a bunch of under-talented guys who play their arses off).

Muser
02-24-2010, 06:52 AM
I'll root for whoever comes out of the West.

timtonymanu
02-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Magic in the East - Howard's respectful. I actually like Vince Carter.

Nuggets in the West - Hate on me all you want. They actually have likeable players except K-Mart and JR. I just hope they have their heads screwed on right this year.

I will never root for:

Lakers/Mavs - obvious reasons
Celtics - douchebag team
Cavs - LeBron, Mo, Shaq, Andy, bandwagon fans .... they're unlikeable

I like the Thunder and Bobcats but im not expecting them to go far this year. Larry Brown is coaching how Pop should be coaching. And I like Kevin Durant. I hope he goes farther than LeBron in this league.

Chieflion
02-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Second team? Orlando Magic. Dwight is a nice guy all-around and I am a big fan of Vinsanity.

gospursgojas
02-24-2010, 09:00 AM
OKC and Magic

MB20
02-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Second team?

Any team not named Celtics, Lakers or Cavaliers.
So I guess I will be rooting for Denver (West) and Magic (East).

Muser
02-24-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't know how anyone an root for the Magic, yeah Dwights a nice guy but damn do they play some ugly Basketball..

Trimble87
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't know how anyone an root for the Magic, yeah Dwights a nice guy but damn do they play some ugly Basketball..

I agree with this. Dwight is a great guy, and I hope he realizes his potential. But I cant watch Carter/Lewis/Nelson jack up bad shots while Howard gets 12-15 shots per game. Absolutely terrible basketball.

pookenstein
02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I like the Thunder (Durant, Westbrook and strangely Sefalosha) and Portland (Roy, Fernadez and their crazy crowd), but once the Spurs are eliminated I'm gonna root for the Nuggets.
Like someone said earlier, outside of JR and K-Mart they have some likeable players andthey have the best chances of beating the Fakers.

OrEmuN
02-24-2010, 11:26 AM
If the Spurs exit the playoffs, I will not watch any more NBA til next season. I am not a big basketball fan, more of a soccer person. Watches the NBA solely and exclusively for the Spurs.

Old School 44
02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
I'd root for the underdogs like the Hawks or OKC.

VBM
02-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Oklahoma City...I'm a UT Law alum so I'll always root for whatever team Durant's on (unless he goes to LA, Boston or Dallas (wouldn't mind watching him play here in Houston).

In the East, only squad I like is the Hawks.

sananspursfan21
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I dont consider myself in any way a fair weather fan. I've been a die-hard fan since I was 8 and plan on being one til I'm 80.

who will you like when you're 81?

Trimble87
02-24-2010, 01:33 PM
when I'm 81 I'll be hard pressed to remember how to put on pants, let alone who the Spurs are.

HarlemHeat37
02-24-2010, 01:39 PM
when I'm 81 I'll be hard pressed to remember how to put on pants, let alone who the Spurs are.

When you're 81, you'll be eligible to be in Pop's rotation..

Trimble87
02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
5'10 old guy with no discernable basketball skills... I'd be like a white Jacque Vaughn

lennyalderette
02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
i make it a point not to watch the finals if we dont make it and ill tell you why: everytime the spurs make the finals people turn off their tv so why shouldnt we? were just buying into the nba laker celtic finale!! everyone turn off your tv tell all your spurs friends to do the same and go watch it at hooters!! so the ratings will go down

VBM
02-24-2010, 01:59 PM
everytime the spurs make the finals people turn off their tv so why shouldnt we?

It's either that or baseball...no further explanation needed...