PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Splitter situation..

Crazymaddopeyo
02-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't really know how all this works. I was wondering how we drafted Splitter but he still does not play for the Spurs? I think there was another player with a similar situation.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Did you really need to start a new thread for this?

Wombatzu
02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
we couldn't pay him enough because of the rookie salary cap.

ElNono
02-23-2010, 05:33 PM
I wonder if people on the Splitter thread would know? You should ask there...

Crazymaddopeyo
02-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Did you really need to start a new thread for this?

You tell me.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2010, 05:36 PM
You tell me.No, you didn't need to.

Crazymaddopeyo
02-23-2010, 05:38 PM
No, you didn't need to.

I actually did not even see the other Splitter topic, but yes I would of posted it there if I had seen it.

Allanon
02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I don't really know how all this works. I was wondering how we drafted Splitter but he still does not play for the Spurs? I think there was another player with a similar situation.

Splitter was drafted by the Spurs in the first round in 2007.

This was cool and all but because he was a 1st round draft pick, he was kind of screwed by the "1st Round Draft Pick payscale". If he would have been picked in the 2nd round, he'd probably be a Spur right now.

According to the payscale, as a 28th pick in the first round he could only make $750,000 a year on his contract. Spanish team Tau Ceramica reportedly offered a two year extension at $5 million a year or something like that.

$750,000 versus $5 million? Splitter took the $5 million a year and stayed in Spain. Splitter has said he wants to be in the NBA. But at the same time, that was just too much money to give up.

Splitter coming to the Spurs was further complicated by buyout rules pertaining to foreign contracts. Tau set a high buyout knowing that it would exceed NBA rules so Splitter would have had to fork it over out of his own pocket.

Crazymaddopeyo
02-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Splitter was drafted by the Spurs in the first round in 2007.

This was cool and all but because he was a 1st round draft pick, he was kind of screwed by the "1st Round Draft Pick payscale". If he would have been picked in the 2nd round, he'd probably be a Spur right now.

According to the payscale, he could only make $750,000 the first year. Spanish team Tau Ceramica reportedly offered a two year extension at $5 million a year or something like that.

$750,000 versus $5 million? Splitter took the $5 million a year.

Splitter coming to the Spurs was further complicated by buyout rules pertaining to foreign contracts. Tau set a high buyout knowing that it would exceed NBA rules so Splitter would have had to fork it over.

Awesome. Thanks Allanon, that makes sense now.