PDA

View Full Version : Somebody from Denver got it right

picnroll
05-01-2005, 04:29 AM
link (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~107~2846003,00.html)

Article Published: Sunday, May 01, 2005

mark kiszla
Edge in coaching looks obvious
By Mark Kiszla
Denver Post Staff Columnist

Ask anyone in Denver. In the NBA, the coach of the year is George Karl of the Nuggets. No doubt. He's the answer man.

So here's a real shocker. So far, Karl has not been the best coach in this series between Denver and San Antonio. The answer man is clueless.

During San Antonio's 86-78 victory Saturday night, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich schooled Karl. Again.

San Antonio has taken a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven series because all the shrewdest moves have been devised by Popovich.

This is upsetting to folks in Denver, but of absolutely no surprise to any keen observer of the league.

Playoff basketball is a battle of willpower, and Popovich can stare down anybody, including our local coaching legend of the moment.

Karl has been reduced to the oldest, weakest ploy in the book of coaching clichés.

He is bickering and moaning about the referees.

"I just don't think we got a very good whistle, and I was really disappointed in some of the calls," Karl said.

His list of gripes could fill a bucket of tears. He hates the aggressive style of San Antonio all-star Manu Ginobili. He thinks small people such as Denver guard Earl Boykins are given no reason to live. He seems to believe the Spurs receive favorable calls because they are winners.

Karl should not be surprised when the league fines him for whining.

Karl insulted Ginobili, dismissing his game-high 32 points for a style dissed as "Just put your head down and run into people. ... It's very difficult to defend, to referee or watch, unless you are the San Antonio Spurs."

In Colorado, Karl is regarded as more than a coach. He has become King George. Larger than life. All rise.

Hard to believe a year ago this was a man who went begging in vain to land an interview for a college coaching job.

The Nuggets would not have been here without him. The crowd gave Karl a rousing standing ovation as he marched on the court before the opening tip.

So what happened once the game began? Reality clashed with the perception of Karl as a genius like a laundry pile of socks sorted in the dark.

If Karl made any meaningful adjustments after the Nuggets were run out of San Antonio in Game 2, none was readily apparent.

Although foul trouble forced San Antonio forward Tim Duncan to spend all but five minutes of the first half on the bench, the Spurs took a nine-point lead to intermission.

After forward Kenyon Martin incited hometown passion with bullish drives in the early going, Denver soon began settling for jump shots.

Ever since Popovich decided to make Ginobili a substitute after one game of this series, Denver has made Manu look like Balki but play like Mike. As far as the Nuggets are concerned, Ginobili is Argentinian for Michael Jordan.

This was not the party anyone in Colorado intended.

The playoff vibe was hot, hot, hot, with the big room so full of energy that one match could have blown off the roof.

From Gov. Bill Owens to retired broadcaster Aimee Sporer, all the A-list names were seen in the arena. And they all rose to clap and scream when Karl took a regal stroll from the tunnel to the Nuggets' bench.

If the applause had been one decibel louder, Karl would have been asked to give a State of the Union speech.

By the time the scoreboard clock struck 1 minute, 50 seconds remaining in the second quarter, however, the noise made by 19,913 spectators for Karl's team took an ugly turn. The boos were born of frustration and the shock of seeing Karl stumped.

Karl must find a way to stop Ginobili other than whining. Karl must design a way to get Anthony easy hoops.

After winning 19 of 20 home games before the Spurs hit town, Karl must pick up the pace of Denver's attack.

If not for the Spurs missing 17 straight shots during the fourth quarter of Game 1, this series would be four quarters away from ending in a sweep.

All is not lost for the Nuggets.

But first Karl must get a clue.

Staff writer Mark Kiszla can be reached at 303-820-5438 or [email protected].

ca®lo
05-01-2005, 05:11 AM
clueless karl. hehe i like the sound of that :)

ZStomp
05-01-2005, 05:44 AM
But oh no!

Everytime the Spurs lose...Pop must go. :rolleyes

Idiots.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Ever since Popovich decided to make Ginobili a substitute after one game of this series, Denver has made Manu look like Balki but play like Mike. As far as the Nuggets are concerned, Ginobili is Argentinian for Michael Jordan.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

sickdsm
05-01-2005, 10:18 AM
I've said it time and time before. The spurs's MVP is Popovich.
Amazing talent is nothing without a good coach. Not neccesary an X's and O's one either.

pjjrfan
05-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Well having a selfless player who will do anything for the good of the team, doesn't hurt. Pop makes moves but the players win the games. In this case Manu accepted the move with class and has brought that energy and fire that was lacking, I personally have thought it sucked, putting a guy on the bench because little jr. can't play with confidence coming off the bench, but Manu has accecpted it and if he isn't complaining I'll bite my tongue and deal with it.

In my book Karl is a little tensed up for the NBA. He sure looked confident and cocky when his team rode into the playoffs with the hottest record since the break. All of a sudden it's the refs fault and manu cheats. He better hope he doesn't lose all 3 of those guys to suspensions because if you look at the replay, all three guys, Melo, Buckner and Martin took a cheap shot at Manu. Karl's mind may play tricks but the film doesn't lie. Karl better find a way to defend the spurs a little better. And I hope he keeps defending TD one on one.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Career Playoffs:

George Karl: 59W 67L .468

Greg Popovich: 53W 34L .609

T Park
05-01-2005, 12:32 PM
What, no comment from Aggie on this one????

Hello!?!??!?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Everytime the Spurs lose...Pop must go.

Idiots.

No one wants him fired. Some of us would like him to find an offensive coordinator, someone who could be his own personal Tex Winters.

Hell, at least someone with the balls to tell him to quit feeding it to Duncan when the guy's 4 for 17. Damn.

T Park
05-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Note, he doesn't comment on the article.

tactical avoidance.

red kryptonite
05-01-2005, 12:58 PM
good article.

Spurminator
05-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Karl made a good move putting Buckner on Parker, but he really needs to go to Martin more, especially when he has the hot hand. He has a substitution pattern of pulling Martin after 6 minutes, and the Nuggets always seem to lose their intensity around that point.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2005, 01:05 PM
What do you want me to comment on? That Pop's better than Karl? Like he's the only one in the league who can claim that...

This isn't about patting Pop on the back for things he does well. It's about turning his one weakness as a coach into a strength and winning a shitload of NBA titles in the process.

Those of you who want to have a plaque for best win percentage in the regular season go ahead and knock yourselves out, I want rings and river parades.

T Park
05-01-2005, 01:10 PM
This isn't about patting Pop on the back for things he does well.

Wich, even if he did, you would never do.

You would always revert back a game, two games,

WELL WELL LOOK AT HOW BAD THE OFFENSE WAS.

Defense wins.

Without the defense last night, even if our Offense was GOOD, we wouldve lost.

Period. You can bitch and moan all you want, wich you will even though they WON the fuckin game, you will still bitch about situations.

Its typical, and me and EX called it last night, when Duncan had a few shots rim in and out, we knew you were in the forum ready to post a

"Your my hero Pop" Its fuckin stupid to the 9th degree.

T Park
05-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Like he's the only one in the league who can claim that

LOL, this is another thing, everytime someone says Pop is outcoaching another coach, you always come back with

"Well, ANYONE could outcoach this guy"

With you , Popovich cant get ANY credit.

He gets all the blame when it is a loss, but no credit, no matter how small, when it is a win.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2005, 01:24 PM
You would always revert back a game, two games,

Um, my frustrations with Pop cover our offensive playoff tendencies from 2000-present. It's not about two games fuckface.

LOL, this is another thing, everytime someone says Pop is outcoaching another coach, you always come back with

"Well, ANYONE could outcoach this guy"
[/quote

Actually that's about the first time this has ever come up and the first time I've said something like that. And the only reason I even bothered to comment because of your George Karl-esque whining about about me not "commenting about the article." And the only reason I made the comment is because I knew you'd come back whining like Vince Carter or Ray Ray after getting D'ed up by Bowen all night.

[quote]
With you , Popovich cant get ANY credit.

He gets all the blame when it is a loss, but no credit, no matter how small, when it is a win.

Pot, meet hypocritical fucking kettle. With you, the players never get any credit. When we lose, it's always their fault. When we win, it's all because of Pop's greatness.

Start placing some blame with Pop when he fucks up (he does, whether you want to admit it or not), and I might place more on the players. It works both ways, not your way.

Look at game 2. After we won there you were saying "alright Pop haters, acknowledge his fucking greatness and STFU."

Guess what, if Pop's that responsible for the wins, he's also that responsible for the losses.

The truth of the matter is win or lose, some blame/praise deserves to go to the coaches, and some deserves to go to the players. It's not a crystallized either/or type thing.

But as long as dickheads like you put it all at the feet of the players when we lose, and give all the pats on the back to Pop when we win, I'm going to be here to counter that, and it's more than an uninformed PS2 take when I do.

It's about tendencies that transcend players in Pop's system. He's a system guy. Doesn't matter how bad we're getting our teeth kicked in, he runs his system.

I have no problems with Popovich as a defensive coach. In fact, he's the *best in the game today.* And probably one of the better ones in the history of the league.

It's the offensive tendencies that bother me and frustrate me to no end. We play offense in the playoffs not to lose, instead of playing to win. That tends to get you beat. There's no reason we can't have an offense similar to Phoenix, Dallas, Chicago, Detroit, or Miami, in addition to our already great defense.

They are not mutually exclusive, and the sooner off Pop recognizes that the sooner we can go about solidifying the greatness of this franchise in NBA lore.

Quit looking at the little 1-2 game picture like you do Tpark, and realize what pro sports are about - legacies, dynasties, and titles.

T Park
05-01-2005, 01:47 PM
legacies, dynasties, and titles

Something that Popovich is considered a top 10 coach of all time, wich you dispute.

Start placing some blame with Pop when he fucks up (he does, whether you want to admit it or not), and I might place more on the players. It works both ways, not your way.

I do place blame on Pop, notice the day after game 1, I said a little more Barry at the point and Glenn Robinson wouldn't have hurt, but once again you CONVIENIENTLY miss that.

You MIGHT place more blame on the players???

Shit. No you wont, youll stick to your same MO

Your my hero Pop

Pop is a fuckin idiot

blah blah blah blah.

Consistently every loss, "Its on Pop"

ChumpDumper
05-01-2005, 02:14 PM
The spacing in the 4-down sets was often horrible. Why was Horry ever in the Nazr position on the other block when he should have been planted at the arc - especially after hitting those threes?

picnroll
05-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Parker is getting played like he did in the LA series last year. First sign of penetration bigs are oming off their man, particularly Camby when he's on Nazr or Rasho, and cutting Parker off. Sometimes a big, Martin, is even trailing and contesting from behind. Too bad our bigs aren't adept at rolling to the basket except Horry. Malone would have been nice for that. Scola will be good next year at rolloing to the basket.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2005, 03:59 PM
TPark, I put blame on Malik, but everyone said I was a hata.

I have criticized Tony when he gets the tunnel vision.

I don't blame the players for not coming away with a score when they are asked to run the same play for an entire quarter.

And it wouldn't have made any difference at all if we could have put Kerr, GRob, Elliott, and Barry out there next to Duncan in game 1 if we would have kept calling the same plays.

My beef is that Duncan could be 1 for 50 and we'd still be running that fucking 4down shit in the playoffs.

AND I still am not saying fire Pop, despite your stupid petty juvenile comebacks, just that he needs a Tex Winter type to balance his defensive expertise.

And yes, the jury is still out on him being top 10 all-time, no matter how many times you've sucked his dick.