PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Thunder's Durant wows others, not self

duncan228
02-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Thunder's Durant wows others, not self (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Thunders_Durant_wows_others_not_self.html)
Mike Monroe

Kevin Durant, the Oklahoma City Thunder's All-Star forward who brings the NBA's No. 2 scoring average into tonight's game against the Spurs at the AT&T Center, is still young enough to fidget and blush when confronted by praise he deems unworthy.

Tell him that Tim Duncan, the Spurs' two-time MVP, insists he be included in any conversation about this season's award, and the former Texas star rolls his eyes and drops his head.

When he lifts it to answer, you halfway expect his response will be, “Aw, shucks,” and it nearly is.

Instead, he praises Duncan, whose work ethic and consistency he has used as a model for his own development.

“Aw, I don't think so,” he says. “I think he should. He's above me in that conversation, along with other guys. They've been carrying their teams, and they continue to win this year.

“I'm just trying to solidify my team and myself. It's an honor for him to say that, but it's something I'm not thinking about, first off, and it's a long way from happening.”

Durant is right about this season's MVP. Cleveland's LeBron James is a heavy favorite to repeat. Nevertheless, the Thunder's surge, combined with Durant's numbingly consistent scoring, merits inclusion among this season's candidates.

“The way he's playing and scoring the ball, he's a candidate right now,” Duncan said. “For the MVP, you're going to ask someone to do a little more than he does, rebounding numbers or assist numbers, whatever it may be. And obviously, with the MVP race, it's going to be hard for anyone else to do anything while LeBron is still alive. But Kevin's definitely pushing that envelope right now.”

Durant has a string of 29 consecutive games in which he has scored at least 25 points. The Thunder's record during Durant's run: 21-8.

No team has been hotter this month than the Thunder, no player more productive than Durant.

When the Thunder made Durant the No. 2 pick in 2007, few doubted he would be a top 10 NBA scorer. That he now threatens to become the youngest single-season scoring champion in league history is a testament to a work ethic Thunder coach Scott Brooks cites with a degree of astonishment.

“With Kevin, it's like that movie ‘Groundhog Day,'” Brooks said. “He came in three years ago with a mindset he was going to improve every day, and he's stuck with it.”

Durant's offensive skills needed only burnishing. That he has bought into Brooks' emphasis on daily defensive improvement has elevated him to potential All-NBA status.

“He came this year with a defensive mindset, which has helped us develop defensively as a team,” Brooks said. “We're winning games because we're defending now.”

Sam Presti, the former Spurs assistant general manager who runs the Thunder's basketball operations, marvels at the maturity with which Durant approaches his development.

“For a younger player to be able to grasp and commit to the grind and commit to focusing on what's in front of him, as opposed to what might be down the road, is remarkable,” he said. “I generally think he enjoys the deliberate process and not just the outcomes.”

Durant's humility makes a difference, too. He spent All-Star Weekend in Dallas taking in everything, observing players like Duncan, who was making his 11th straight All-Star start.

Durant had to work to feel he belonged.

“I don't know when I will, to be honest,” he said. “I guess when I'm an All-Star starter like those guys, but I don't really see myself on their level. They've done great things in this league so far, and I've really done nothing.

“My team is getting better, but until you solidify yourself as a playoff team every year, going deep in the playoffs every year, that's when you can say you're one of the top players in the league.

“I've got a lot to prove, and my team has a lot to prove.”

HarlemHeat37
02-24-2010, 02:15 AM
Kevin Durant is calm right now, but imagine when he steps on the floor tomorrow night..his streak has never faced anything close to the threat that will be posed by one man that will be against him...

KEITH "Bulldog Bowen" BOGANS!!..

TD 21
02-24-2010, 02:29 AM
Kevin Durant is calm right now, but imagine when he steps on the floor tomorrow night..his streak has never faced anything close to the threat that will be posed by one man that will be against him...

Bogans is a terrible match-up against Durant. Pop needs to use Jefferson on Durant and live with the results. Durant will still get 30+, but he's going to get it whoever the Spurs put on him. At least in the case of Jefferson, the Spurs get another offensive threat (in theory) on the floor and give Durant two more inches of length to have to contend with. I suspect, as in previous meetings, we'll also see plenty of Hill on Durant.

Speaking of Durant, with the exception of James, there isn't a single young player more desirable to build around right now. He edges out Howard, Paul and Anthony. Wade is better than all of them, but he's also the oldest of the bunch, the most injury prone of the bunch and with his style, he's likely to decline quicker. I got Durant in my top nine at this point (no particular order): James, Duncan, Wade, Bryant, Paul, Anthony, Howard, Durant, Bosh.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-24-2010, 02:50 AM
I feel like even when Durant does get his MVP awards, he will still have some humility.

Something LeBron will never have.

timtonymanu
02-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Durant is a good kid, someone LeBron use to be.

I hope Durant stays classy. There's not alot of superstars in the league that are humble.

taps
02-24-2010, 05:05 AM
I feel like even when Durant does get his MVP awards, he will still have some humility.

Something LeBron will never have.

this kid's getting lebron's numbers, where's the 900 square foot billboard of the vainglorious pose with his arms outstretched to the heavens?

Oh yeah, he hasn't won anything, just like lebron. If this kid ever eclipses james' productivity it will be because of his fuckin righteous attitude. he just doesn't let ego/emotion get in the way of his development.

not to metnion lebron will never be the shooter he is peece

02-24-2010, 05:16 AM
lol at the lebron hate. how many superstars aren't self involved? here are the superstars of the past generation that's gotten the most media coverage:

bryant - raped a girl/throws teammates under the bus
shaq - weird attention whore
wade - lots of problems with his ho's
kevin garnett - giant pussy/douche
allen iverson - lol practice

only steve nash and duncan seem to be alright but they get less media attention than the others on that list. lebron likes to bitch but is that really worse than what the others have done? he hasn't openly attacked his teammates, raped anyone, nor publicly called for a trade. once durant starts winning and gets flooded with media attention, he will change too and feel entitled to stuff. they are products of the media.

mystargtr34
02-24-2010, 07:24 AM
If the Cavs continue for the next few years to be the elite 60+ win team that they are, LeBron could end up with something ridiculous like 4 or 5 MVP awards. There just isnt anyone that close to him at the moment, in terms of numbers/statistical dominance.

Maybe if Durant puts up something like 33-9-4 next year and the Thunder win 60. Even then, LeBron probably goes 30-9-9.

Jason R
02-24-2010, 07:50 AM
lol at the lebron hate. how many superstars aren't self involved? here are the superstars of the past generation that's gotten the most media coverage:

only steve nash and duncan seem to be alright but they get less media attention than the others on that list. lebron likes to bitch but is that really worse than what the others have done? he hasn't openly attacked his teammates, raped anyone, nor publicly called for a trade. once durant starts winning and gets flooded with media attention, he will change too and feel entitled to stuff. they are products of the media.

Your premise does not support your conclusion.

dbestpro
02-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Durant becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2012. I wonder if he would want to come home? Some how I just don't see him playing an entire career in OKC. Endorsement deals would have to be better in almost every other major city in the country. If some of the caps are applied as the owners wish, the endorsement deals then take on a whole new meaning as to where a player wants to play. Yes, San Antonio is small market but it does have an international audience from tourism, military, and border proximity.

nkdlunch
02-24-2010, 10:31 AM

you just proved all the Lebron haters' points

Libri
02-24-2010, 11:34 AM

It's going to be an epic battle. :lol

Dex
02-24-2010, 11:38 AM
If Kevin Durant continues to put this kind of work ethic into his talent, fella's gonna be a bad mutha in a few short years.

Excited to see him play tonight.

02-24-2010, 02:23 PM
you just proved all the Lebron haters' points
not everyone can be tim duncan or nash. they are the exceptions. lebron hasn't done anything that makes him worse then the others i listed. relatively, he's considered mild compared to the rest of the superstars, with only duncan and nash with better behavior than him. spursfans are spoiled by duncan.