PDA

View Full Version : Well that didn't take long...

CosmicCowboy
02-24-2010, 02:58 PM
I figured they would at least bury him first...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100224/ap_on_re_us/us_plane_crash_texas_1

IRS worker's widow sues Texas suicide pilot's wife
AP

Tue Feb 23, 9:05 pm ET

AUSTIN, Texas – The widow of the Internal Revenue Service employee killed when a Texas man crashed his plane into the agency's Austin office is suing the pilot's widow.

Attorney Daniel Ross says the lawsuit against Sheryl Stack seeks to determine if the pilot left behind insurance policies or other assets.

Ross represents Valerie Hunter, whose 68-year-old husband Vernon Hunter was killed last week when authorities say Joseph Stack deliberately crashed his single-engine plane into the IRS office.

Joseph Stack left behind a lengthy anti-government Internet posting blaming the IRS for personal problems spanning decades.

The lawsuit filed Monday says Sheryl Stack should have warned others about her husband.

A message seeking comment was left Tuesday with a family spokesman for Sheryl Stack.

Bullet Tooth Tony
02-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Good for her

CosmicCowboy
02-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Good for her

I'm sure the building owners will be next for not making it airplane proof.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
what do you call a lawyer with sand up to his chin?

not enough sand.

PM5K
02-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm sure the building owners will be next for not making it airplane proof.

Are you trying to say this is a frivolous lawsuit?

angel_luv
02-24-2010, 03:13 PM
I think it is horrible that the pilot's wife is getting sued. It was not her fault that her husband committed the crime he did.

Besides doesn't the victim's widow have the victim's ( her husband's) life insurance? Why take from another widow and an orphan when you already have your own life insurance to provide for you?

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-24-2010, 03:14 PM
This guy's face is going to end up in the dictionary next to the word "irony". His blaze of glory last stand against government intrusion into his life may have paved a way to bleed him dry after he's gone.

CosmicCowboy
02-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Are you trying to say this is a frivolous lawsuit?

yes

The wife was just as much a victim of this crazy guy as the IRS guy.

Shit happens.

How exactly can she claim that the wife "should have warned others about her husband" ?

If she wants a life insurance settlement she should have bought life insurance.

JoeChalupa
02-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Court date should be April 15th.

PM5K
02-24-2010, 03:26 PM
lol

Udokafan05
02-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Just another case showing how flawed the justice system is.

panic giraffe
02-24-2010, 04:22 PM
i'm sorry that mrs. stack lost her crazy husband, and i don't know the specifics of the lawsuit, whether she is suing the estate of stack or outright suing mrs. stack. either way i don't see anything wrong with her trying to get compensation for her husband's untimely death.

from what i understand about his life, the dude lost not one, but multiple businesses due to his anti-income tax views. i'm not saying i know if it caused his first marriage to dissolve, but thats the kind of money issue that could do just that.

i'm sorry if you think it makes me sound a little heartless for mrs. stack, but if you see that many problems and you marry it, then you're part of the problem too. she probably shares a similar belief towards the irs, unless you're maria shirver then for the most part it's pretty hard to support someone who has such loopy tendencies without sharing said tendencies. i'm not saying i believe with 100% certainty that mrs. stack knew he would do this, but it would be pretty hard to miss someone jump that far down the rabit hole.

timvp
02-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I wonder what the chances are that she gets audited.

Spurminator
02-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Besides doesn't the victim's widow have the victim's ( her husband's) life insurance? Why take from another widow and an orphan when you already have your own life insurance to provide for you?

Most life insurance policies are void in the case of suicide, so I'm guessing the Stacks aren't exactly set for life after this.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Even if the nutjob did have a life insurance policy, the insurance company isn't going to pay on it. Suicide isn't covered.

It gets even worse for Mrs. Stack. Not only is she not going to get life insurance money, but the insurance company isn't even going to pay on the homeowners policy either since it was arson.

I don't have a problem with Mrs. Hunter suing, I'm just not sure what she thinks she'll be able to collect.

Spurminator
02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Thing is, if Stack had somehow survived the plane crash, most people would feel Ms. Hunter would be well within her rights to sue him. She would bleed them dry and the Stack family would likely never regain whatever wealth they had accumulated before that day. So I'm not sure that Joe Stack's death means his family is suddenly exempt from having to face civil repercussions.

He fucked his family the day he decided that killing innocent people was the only way to be heard.

clambake
02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
there are many policies that pay after suicide.

JoeChalupa
02-24-2010, 04:38 PM
The lawyer is just after more stacks of money.

timvp
02-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Even if the nutjob did have a life insurance policy, the insurance company isn't going to pay on it. Suicide isn't covered.

After two years, most life insurance companies in Texas pay regardless of manner of death.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2010, 04:46 PM
After two years, most life insurance companies in Texas pay regardless of manner of death.

Interesting. I didn't know that. If that applies here, then I hope Mrs. Hunter gets a good chunk, if not all, of that money.

clambake
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
has anyone determined whether he had a policy?

this guy probably felt that insurance is a bigger scam than taxes.

Stringer_Bell
02-24-2010, 04:51 PM
The the wife of the IRS man is still trying to get money from a dead man's wife in a wrongful death suit after she lost her house and suffers the embarrassment of this terrible event (for which she issued an apology when she didn't even have to)? Ummm...ya.

Her husband was 68 years old, working for the IRS, and we are to assume that she will not be taken care of by his benefits, life insurance, and possibly even some other monetary fund given to her in the name of "charity." Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down, kick 'em all around...

MiamiHeat
02-24-2010, 05:17 PM
This lawsuit is bullshit.

What if the wife had ZERO hint of her husbands plan? You can't blame her for that.

The only angle of success for a trial that can be called justice, is that the plaintiff sues for the husband's assets ONLY, but does not touch a single thing that belongs to the wife.

ploto
02-24-2010, 06:10 PM
I am sure she is suing the estate of the person who killed her husband, and I have absolutely no problem with her doing that.

Attorney Daniel Ross says the lawsuit against Sheryl Stack seeks to determine if the pilot left behind insurance policies or other assets.

xellos88330
02-24-2010, 06:12 PM
My opinion is torn on this matter. I think the lawsuit is retarded, and Stack is retarded for not noticing the husbands behavioral change.

thispego
02-24-2010, 06:16 PM
:ROLLEYES thanks for your pointless opinion

The Reckoning
02-24-2010, 10:57 PM
lol now more IRS problems

tlongII
02-24-2010, 11:43 PM
I wonder if he had fire insurance too?

mrsmaalox
02-25-2010, 12:43 AM
My opinion is torn on this matter. I think the lawsuit is retarded, and Stack is retarded for not noticing the husbands behavioral change.

There may not have been a behavioral change. The guy was involved in financial shenanigans for years, ranting about the IRS was probably normal for him. And his family may share his opinions. Didn't his adult daughter in Norway call him a "hero" in an interview?

panic giraffe
02-25-2010, 01:21 PM
There may not have been a behavioral change. The guy was involved in financial shenanigans for years, ranting about the IRS was probably normal for him. And his family may share his opinions. Didn't his adult daughter in Norway call him a "hero" in an interview?

exactly. you don't lose two businesses to the irs over a overnight "mood change" they were beliefs that he's had for years, its on record, so i don't want to hear that "she's a victim too" crap. if his daughter can say statements like that, then it's pretty clear just how he indoctrinated his family. maybe his wife didn't know of this exact plan, but she's not 100% innocent. i say give the irs widow whatever a life ins policy may pay, and crack into his estate as well. it shouldn't matter if his irs pension or ins policy covers his death, this is about being fair towards the victim of a coward.

chode_regulator
02-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Everyone in here crying about how this dudes wife should get boned over make me sick
that is all

BlackSwordsMan
02-25-2010, 03:58 PM
I think it is horrible that the pilot's wife is getting sued. It was not her fault that her husband committed the crime he did.

scientific fact that woman drive men insane
good for IRS

greywheel
02-25-2010, 04:47 PM
"Stack was threatened enough by Joseph Stack that she took her daughter and stayed at a hotel the night before the plane crash. [She] owed a duty to exercise reasonable care to avoid a foreseeable risk of injury to others including [Vernon Hunter]," the suit says.

As far as I have heard, no one has stated why Mrs. Stack left the house the night before the incident. The lawsuit seems to jump from the idea that "she did not spend a night at her house" to "she knew he was going to burn down their house and fly a plane into the IRS building".
I wonder if something was leaked to the victim's widow. The police probably know the reason but (from my brief non-professional research online) probably cannot charge Mrs. Stack with anything, if she knew.
Of course, it could just as easily be that Mr. Stack flew the plane into the building because his wife was leaving him and he blamed the IRS for that too.