PDA

View Full Version : Donating vehicles

florige
02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Well just got news from my mechanic that my 01 Galant is officially finished with the ever so deadly cracked engine head. My question is, when you donate, does that boad well on your tax return the following year? And does your return see a noticible increase?

CosmicCowboy
02-24-2010, 05:18 PM
They don't want fucked up cars donated. You might as well just haul it to pick-n-pull and sell it for cash.

florige
02-24-2010, 05:24 PM
They don't want fucked up cars donated. You might as well just haul it to pick-n-pull and sell it for cash.

Yeah I thought about that. I thought they took any vehicle and maybe had the resources to repair them depending who the organization was. Figures I had just paid the damn thing off too.

CosmicCowboy
02-24-2010, 05:40 PM
No, they just turn around and sell the car.

The donation thing used to work till the IRS cracked down on it...You could donate your fucked up car and then claim it was worth an $8000 charitable donation...saving you $2000 on taxes if you were in the 25% bracket...

Now, the charities send you a statement of what they got for the car and that's all you can write off...

ashbeeigh
02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
The Kidney Society used to do it a ton but I wouldn't donate anything to them after I read about them taking over some local non affiliate associations, saying things won't change at all and then firing employees. That's shady stuff (but not out of the ordinary).

Just say your goodbyes, flo. It's not always about money and tax returns.

florige
02-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah you are probably right Ash. Still can't believe that car took a dump already right after I paid the shit off. Oh well, anyway thanks guys for the info. :toast