PDA

View Full Version : Wetzel: No need to hammer Mir for crossing idiot line

Blackjack
02-24-2010, 08:10 PM
No need to hammer Mir for crossing idiot line (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-mir022310&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

Follow Dan Wetzel on Twitter at @DanWetzel (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Au_UERKsPi5bP5HPsdje9FhYEo14/SIG=111ft70jo/**http%3A//twitter.com/DanWetzel)

Frank Mir has never been afraid to speak his mind and in a Pittsburgh radio interview last week, the former Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight titleholder unloaded on current champ Brock Lesnar (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Mir-says-he-wants-Lesnar-to-die-Will-he-get-sus;_ylt=AmEc0eV0yvEHje5b0ioAu_JYEo14?urn=mma,2216 72).

He said they shared “legitimate hate” and “anger,” and then in a couple lines that went particularly crazy, declared he hoped he could essentially kill Lesnar if the two ever fight for a third time.

“I want to break his neck in the ring,” Mir said on the Mark Madden Show on WXDX. “I want him to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries.”

Crude. Ridiculous. And, even by cage fighting standards, unnecessarily barbaric. No one understands that more now than Mir himself, who backtracked from the comments Tuesday and expressed embarrassment that in trying to force a rematch with Lesnar he went too far. He said he was trying to explain a fighter’s mentality and it came out all wrong.

“I kind of lost myself there,” Mir told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday. “I got carried away. Obviously I don’t want to kill Brock Lesnar.”

For the most part, there was nothing to see here, no need to suspend or fine Mir for speaking out. The UFC in particular, and mixed martial arts in general, walk a fine line as they continue to move into the mainstream. Broken neck comments don’t help erase the old stigma of “human cockfighting.”

Here’s the thing, though: in the end the person most affected by Mir’s comments is Mir. If there was ever a sport where trash talking wasn’t just accepted but could even be applauded it is MMA. This isn’t some team sport or non-contact exercise.

This is cage fighting. How polite do you want these guys?

Frank Mir will have to deal with this and anything else he says when the door closes on the Octagon and big Brock Lesnar is standing across the way. That’s how it works. Talk all you want, there is no avoiding the bill coming due.

“I’m the one who’s going to have to answer for it,” Mir acknowledged.

Lesnar could very well pound Mir senseless again, the way he did at their last fight at UFC 100 in July 2009. Mir won the first fight between the two by submission in 2008.

Considering the stakes involved for any fighter who wants to run his mouth, it’s tough to get too upset when they do. It’s their risk. It’s on them. The thing that makes MMA so exciting – a true man vs. man battle – is why there can only be so much tsk-tsking over this.

Mir was talking big and it got out of control, going from colorful to cartoonish. “Idiotic” is how Mir described it.

Mir is a natural promoter, always willing to do media interviews and even serving as color commentator for World Extreme Cagefighting fights on the Versus Network. He knows what he’s doing and freely admits he’s been so vocal about attacking Lesnar because controversy doesn’t just help sell fights, it helps create them in the first place.

“Hype puts you in line for fights,” he said. “A Brock rematch is big on my list. I can’t let this control my emotions. The thing I want is to fight him. Obviously I took it too far.”

Mir takes on Shane Carwin, himself a vocal Lesnar basher, on March 27 in Newark, N.J. Assuming Lesnar’s recovery from illness is on schedule, the winner likely gets a title shot this summer, probably in Las Vegas in July.

Fighting Lesnar isn’t just the biggest payday out there for a fighter; it would give Mir a chance to avenge the disappointing UFC 100 result. While Mir and Lesnar weren’t friends before that one, and the trash talk from both sides was intense, there was still a relationship between the two.

Just three days before the bout, the fighters, both accompanied by their wives, ran into each other in a back hallway of the Mandalay Bay Events Center. Both were parents to newborns, Lesnar’s second child and Mir’s fourth. They actually took time to look at pictures of each other’s babies.

Mir said even that tenuous relationship was snapped when Lesnar continued to taunt Mir and pointed a finger in his face even after knocking him out in the second round of their fight. Lesnar defended it as saying he was full of post-fight emotion and Mir had talked smack in the run-up to the fight.

“I always understand we’re going to say things to help promote the fight,” Mir said. “But when it’s over with, it’s over with. For him to behave that way afterwards did bug me.”

No matter who is correct, Mir said his anger at Lesnar motivated him to push for a rematch a little too hard. Eight months later, Mir was on a radio show and went too far. “I wouldn’t want my kids to hear that,” he acknowledged.

The mini-controversy is likely over. Those that want to use the comments to cement a negative opinion of MMA probably will. Those that know better, and understand Mir’s personality, will brush them aside and look forward to the eventual clash.

And that’s the point with the UFC. As long as he avoids crossing the idiot line, Frank Mir should say pretty much anything he wants.

It is he and he alone who will have to deal with Brock Lesnar.

The TroutBum
02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Oh, I can't wait for this rematch.

Rip-Hamilton32
02-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Mir is looking too far ahead he needs to get past Carwin first, which i don't think will happen

CubanSucks
02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Hey Whetzel is my brother in law's name! I'd never heard it on anyone else!

Anyway, they talked about this on PTI and how this isn't a big deal considering all the stuff boxers have said over time (Mike Tyson especially)

Stringer_Bell
02-24-2010, 11:49 PM
It COULD be a big deal when you think about all the politicians and sponsors saying "Oh, MMA is nothing more than human cock fighting." The UFC is trying to get laws passed in other parts of the world to sanction their fights, so I can understand why the UFC had to go into "duck and cover" mode. I don't agree with it, but I understand.

We (the supporters of MMA) are used to this shit, and we know Mir isn't a bad guy, but THEY don't know that. THEY rarely hear the words from the horses mouth (where it has a little bit of context), they just see the words on print and think it shows the savagery of MMA.

dbreiden83080
02-25-2010, 02:51 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Get-the-memo-to-Shane-Carwin-calls-Mir-a-terri?urn=mma,223927

The UFC battened down the hatches yesterday after Frank Mir's comments on a Pittsburgh radio show.

"I want to break [Lesnar's] neck in the ring. I want him to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries."

Apparently, everyone didn't get the message or memo to shut the heck up about the situation. Without seeing or hearing the comments, Mir's opponent at UFC 111, Shane Carwin, lost it to a certain extent on Mir.

"I can tell you that ANY athlete wishing death upon a competitor is either a terrible human being or mentally unfit to fight," Carwin told the U.K.'s MMABay. "That type of talk and if it ever happened will take this sport backwards. Frank has been a part of the stone ages of MMA and it makes no sense why he would want or make comments that might damage a lot of the good HE has participated in adding to this sport over the years."

No word yet on whether the Counsel to the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, Nick Lembo will demand that Mir be put through a battery of tests to determine his mental fitness.

Carwin went on to say think what you want about Lesnar, but he's still a human being.

"Brock is a heel in the ring but at home he is a human, husband, father and friend to many. Wishing death or harm upon him doesn't serve any purpose. I will do my best to make Frank's dream of fighting Brock come true, unfortunately for them it will be a three round fight as I plan on winning both of those belts."

Now to the subject of "die," "kill" and "murder" being part of fighters' vernacular.

Thinking back, we're finding plenty of examples where fighters have employed this kind of language. B.J. Penn on several occasions including screaming "You're dead" at Sean Sherk in the Octagon. Penn also said he would "kill" Georges St. Pierre during the extended Countdown to UFC 94 series. A Penn opponent, Kenny Florian talked about "killing" the master in the Octagon when asking for a UFC lightweight title fight. Then there's Lesnar, who went a step further actually using the word "murder" before UFC 100:

"I'm gonna murder him," Lesnar told Maxim. "I count the days and the nights before I get to do that."

Sounds like this is simply a case of Mir's comments being blown up nationally and Lesnar's staying off the radar. The argument against that would be referencing Dana White's own words when he said Herschel Walker in the UFC would be the first "death" in MMA.

That got plenty of publicity on the front page of Yahoo! But there was no apology in that instance.

CubanSucks
02-25-2010, 02:56 AM
Mike Tyson anyone? This kinda talk's been around a long time

dbreiden83080
02-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Mike Tyson anyone? This kinda talk's been around a long time

Very true

I am fine with it, and the Brock haters giving him shit were clueless IMO. He knows how to market himself, saying he is doing a bad job of selling MMA, well check the cash registar.. He is the number 1 draw in MMA today.

It's all about the hype..

Bullet Tooth Tony
02-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Its Ironic that Mir would even say this cause I think if anyone would break anyones neck it would be Brock breaking Mir's neck. Mir has got his ass kicked by Brock twice (even though he lucked out and got the first win). I cant wait to see Brock at full health and smash Mir's head in.

CubanSucks
02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Its Ironic that Mir would even say this cause I think if anyone would break anyones neck it would be Brock breaking Mir's neck. Mir has got his ass kicked by Brock twice (even though he lucked out and got the first win). I cant wait to see Brock at full health and smash Mir's head in.

Lesnar isn't exactly some innocent victim here. He's quite the asshole himself

Bullet Tooth Tony
02-25-2010, 12:52 PM

Brock does it for the show. Yeah he may be a prick in real life but I was just saying that Mir has some balls on him after gettins his ass kicked twice by the man that wasnt even at 40%.

CubanSucks
02-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Lesnar=asshole
Mir=douchebag

good compromise?

TheTruth
02-25-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm thinking the last thing that Mir should be doing is pissing off Brock Lesnar. Hell, over looking Shane Carwin is a pretty dumb thing.

dbreiden83080
02-25-2010, 07:42 PM

Brock doesn't bake cookies for a living.. His job is to smash the hell out of people in a cage.. Very few fighters are elite and 100% nice..

dbreiden83080
02-25-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm thinking the last thing that Mir should be doing is pissing off Brock Lesnar. Hell, over looking Shane Carwin is a pretty dumb thing.

Mir has been in the cage with Brock for like 8 min and has been dominated for all of about 20 seconds of it..

CubanSucks
02-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Brock doesn't bake cookies for a living.. His job is to smash the hell out of people in a cage.. Very few fighters are elite and 100% nice..

Not 100% nice, but at least act like humans. You're not really a warrior

The TroutBum
02-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Haha, can it, you fucking knob. I like you Shane, but enough of this, "I'm holier than all of you people" bullshit.

dbreiden83080
02-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Not 100% nice, but at least act like humans. You're not really a warrior

I doubt Brock is this complete A-Hole to everyone around him when the camera is off.. The guy came from a WWE background where he was a huge star. He is marketing himself perfectly, selling tickets.. The UFC i am sure is beyond thrilled Brock is their Heavyweight Champ..

Stringer_Bell
02-25-2010, 11:26 PM
I hope Mir breaks Carwin's jaw. He needs to stop trying to take the high road every time someone makes a questionable comment.

Also, even though Brock's a bully in the ring with a bad attitude, it's documented that he's actually a nice guy in general outside of his "Brock" persona. You don't think Sable would have a baby with a complete tool, do you?

dbreiden83080
02-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Mir not really sorry... :lol

Just because Frank Mir apologized, that doesn't necessarily mean he's sorry. It doesn't even mean that he knows precisely what he's supposed to be sorry for. Sure, he may have told a California radio station that he hates UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar and would like to "break his neck," making him "the first person that dies to Octagon-related injuries," but he's not convinced that the comment is really so incendiary, or even all that novel.

"When I got called in and they told me, 'Listen man, this is an issue,' I kind of had a smirk on my face the whole time," says Mir, who was quoted in a public apology for the remark on the UFC's Web site earlier this week. "I was like, you're kidding, right? This is a joke, right? I've heard people say that this is to the death. I've heard people say about an opponent, 'I'm going to kill him.' I heard Brock say he was going to put his hand up my rear end to pull out a horseshoe. I didn't hear anyone get too upset about that."

The man has a point. As uncomfortable as any comment about Octagon-related deaths might make some MMA fans who are already paranoid about the mainstream perception of the sport, Mir isn't the first prominent fighter to walk that road. Lightweight champ B.J. Penn has threatened to kill opponents before, or at the very least fight them until someone dies. Former light heavyweight champ Chuck Liddell recently expressed a desire to end Tito Ortiz's life when they meet for a third time, and that prompted no outrage.

In fact, in an interview prior to their rematch at UFC 100, Lesnar was quoted as saying that he was eager to "murder" Mir. What, exactly, is the difference between the two remarks, except that Mir was more specific with regards to method?

"No one's been able to explain it to me yet," Mir says. "I thought we understood that what we say on camera is part of the entertainment aspect of our sport and we kind of get a little artistic license. It's not like I said this to my neighbor, that if his dog shows up in my yard one more time I'm going to kill him. That would be bad. That's a problem. I didn't understand it, but hey, it came my way, I said it, and I can't cry about it now. I've just got to deal with it, I guess."

Dealing with it meant putting his name on the apology put forth by the UFC, which included an assurance from UFC president Dana White that Mir had "been talked to" and now "regrets what he said." That turns out to be about half true. If there's one thing Mir doesn't seem to regret lately, it's speaking his mind. Even when it brings criticism, the former UFC heavyweight champ is going to tell you what he really thinks.

Take his comments about Cheick Kongo before they met at UFC 107. Mir called Kongo's ground game one of the worst in the UFC's heavyweight class. When that drew heat from some fans, Mir refused to back away from the remark. He believed it, so why apologize for saying it?

"Any time you try to play to what you think people want you to be like, you're setting yourself up for disappointment," Mir says. "Some people are still going to hate you and some people are still going to like you, but if you're not even saying what you really think then they aren't even liking you for who you really are. If someone asks me a question, at least they can know that the answer I give is what I really think. Then, if they dislike me, at least they're disliking who I really am because I really did say that."

The same is true with the Lesnar situation, though Mir feels the need to point out, he doesn't literally want to kill Lesnar. No more than Penn wanted to kill Georges St. Pierre, anyway. The excessive rhetoric, that's just his way of getting a point across, he says.

If nothing else, the situation helps to illuminate the ways in which Lesnar has become Mir's white whale. With their series knotted at one win apiece, getting a rubber match has become almost an obsession with Mir, who said he became despondent upon hearing rumors that Lesnar's illness might end his fighting career before they ever got to meet again.

Even if Lesnar weren't the champ, Mir says, he'd be just as focused on getting a third fight with him. But that doesn't mean Mir is overlooking Shane Carwin, who he'll be facing on Mar. 27 for the interim heavyweight championship. On the contrary, since the winner is tentatively scheduled to get the next shot at Lesnar, defeating Carwin is vital to his long-term plans.

"We all have our reasons for why we do things," Mir said. "It's like a guy trying to become the champion. It's not that his dream of becoming a champion is distracting him from the fight in front of him. It's just that those goals are part of his motivation. It's one more reason to go to the gym. For me, my goal of fighting Brock Lesnar again isn't distracting me, because I know I have to beat Shane Carwin and really beat him to get that third match with Brock. It's not that I'm not thinking about Shane, because I am. I'm also thinking about all the things that will come with that victory."

One of those things may be the chance to write the final chapter in his saga with Lesnar, but with that comes the possibility that the current champ may hold him to account for his words in painful and embarrassing fashion. To Mir, that's the beauty of being in the fight business. Opponents might not like what he has to say, whether he believes it to be true or not, but it's of little consequence once the cage door slams shut.

"If he thinks I'm wrong," says Mir, "he can prove it to me."

The TroutBum
02-26-2010, 03:45 AM
Gods, I love Mir.

dbreiden83080
02-26-2010, 10:20 PM
I just merged these 2 since we are discussing the same points in both threads..