PDA

View Full Version : Midgetball

ElNono
02-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Did we really trot out a severely hobbled Parker, Bogans, Finley, Jefferson and Blair with 6 mins to go in the 4th?

I'm still enjoying this win and all the heroics. But I just can't get that out of my head. Really Pop?

Thoughts?

DesignatedT
02-25-2010, 12:04 AM
everytime we started to struggle tonight it was with blair as our only big... i just dont understand... dyess or duncan need to be out there at all times.... should have traded bonner and mason for someone.... those guys are useless here

Fpoonsie
02-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Yeah, that had me scratching my head...

I NEVER wanna see Bogans and Fin on the court together again. Hell, I don't even want them on the same TEAM together.

Btw, when did Fin start sucking THIS badly? I expected him to hit at least ONE of those 3-balls. For fuck's sake...

DesignatedT
02-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Also pop was flirting with disaster waiting untill 5 minutes left in the 4th to put Duncan back in the game... another head scratcher

HarlemHeat37
02-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Finley and Bogans shouldn't be on the floor at any time, let alone together..

I'm happy with the W, but this isn't going to be good for the future rotations IMO..it will only encourage Pop..

alchemist
02-25-2010, 12:17 AM
everytime we started to struggle tonight it was with blair as our only big... i just dont understand... dyess or duncan need to be out there at all times.... should have traded bonner and mason for someone.... those guys are useless here
Apparently Blair is a big....:lol

DesignatedT
02-25-2010, 12:17 AM
bogans played decent game tonight. i think the starting 5 used today should finish out the year... cut mason and bonner out of the rotation completely unless emergency.... and roll with that....

siraulo23
02-25-2010, 12:18 AM
pop has gone mad

does he seriously think RJ at the 4 will bode well in the playoffs? (if we make it there hehe)

Obstructed_View
02-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Finley and Bogans shouldn't be on the floor at any time, let alone together..

I'm happy with the W, but this isn't going to be good for the future rotations IMO..it will only encourage Pop..

Yep, right now he's rationalizing a way to give Finley and Bogans and his lineups credit for a win.

Whisky Dog
02-25-2010, 12:26 AM
If Pop has been actually trying to win games over the last couple months then this season has displayed one of the worst coaching jobs in NBA history.

santymrc
02-25-2010, 12:33 AM
If Pop has been actually trying to win games over the last couple months then this season has displayed one of the worst coaching jobs in NBA history.

I agree, but let's not forget that his players made an effort to make him look even worse.

LongtimeSpursFan
02-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Did we really trot out a severely hobbled Parker, Bogans, Finley, Jefferson and Blair with 6 mins to go in the 4th?

I'm still enjoying this win and all the heroics. But I just can't get that out of my head. Really Pop?

Thoughts?

I'm tired of guys complaining about small ball. Lets try to explain.

Duncan averages 32 mins a game. McDyess averages about 21.

32 mins + 21 mins = 53 minutes of total time these guys can play.

There are 48 minutes in game. Duncan and McDyess play together most of these minutes together. So there can be anywhere from 16 to zero minutes that are accounted for. We have no other bigs besides Blair. So Spurs have to play 'small ball' due to lack of bigs. Unless you want Bonner or Mahinmi in the game. If Bonner plays then you guys start threads in "Why the heck is Bonner in game?" or "Why is Bonner starting?

lennyalderette
02-25-2010, 12:38 AM
im saying it again replace pop before we lose manu!!!

dynamodr3w
02-25-2010, 12:38 AM
I agree with you longtime...he has to manage the minutes...53 minutes of play. He has no choice but to go small sometimes. Give IAN a chance, bla bla blah..dude is butter fingers..they have no other centers.

J_Paco
02-25-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm tired of guys complaining about small ball. Lets try to explain.

Duncan averages 32 mins a game. McDyess averages about 21.

32 mins + 21 mins = 53 minutes of total time these guys can play.

There are 48 minutes in game. Duncan and McDyess play together most of these minutes together. So there can be anywhere from 16 to zero minutes that are accounted for. We have no other bigs besides Blair. So Spurs have to play 'small ball' due to lack of bigs. Unless you want Bonner or Mahinmi in the game. If Bonner plays then you guys start threads in "Why the heck is Bonner in game?" or "Why is Bonner starting?

Please, Dice averaged 30 minutes per game last season and giving him more P.T. would really help the team with rebounding (something we again lacked tonight). Both of them are capable of playing more minutes here and there, but Pop feels the need to freeze Dice out after the first 4 or 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter. Pop's line-ups sucked badly at times tonight, especially when he puts old-ass Finley on Durant (:lol:lol:depressed), he's just lucky that Manu and Timmy bailed him out.

southerndownfan
02-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Pop is starting to lose it I think. That or he is just flirting with any and every lineup he can think off. I dont understand it.

Whisky Dog
02-25-2010, 12:52 AM
There's no excuse for the radical lineup rotations over the course of the season. There's no excuse for not getting Mahinmi acclimated to NBA ball in November. There's no excuse for Finley to get any burn outside of pure garbage time. I think this season many of the chemistry issues start with Pop. Players can't be happy getting jerked around in the rotations and never getting a groove. That's got to piss them off.

J_Paco
02-25-2010, 01:06 AM
There's no excuse for the radical lineup rotations over the course of the season. There's no excuse for not getting Mahinmi acclimated to NBA ball in November. There's no excuse for Finley to get any burn outside of pure garbage time. I think this season many of the chemistry issues start with Pop. Players can't be happy getting jerked around in the rotations and never getting a groove. That's got to piss them off.

Remember, we were only in November and needed to acclimate all of the new faces. The team was a "title contender" and didn't have time to develop Mahinmi nor Hairston. Now, we see the dividends with the veteran center traded away for nothing and the athletic, raw and young player wasting away on the bench. Oh, and it doesn't matter if they see actual upside in Mahinmi, since they thought to not exercise his option, and he'll probably sign-on with another team or go back to Europe. What a win-win situation the F.O. has placed themselves in.. :rolleyes:rolleyes

TD 21
02-25-2010, 02:00 AM
On a team with long, athletic players, particularly the forwards (though Green is more versatile than athletic), Finley was the Spurs counter. Against a team like this is where Thomas would have come in real handy.

This is yet another reason why trading Ratliff was stupid. Since Pop won't play Mahinmi and with Bonner clearly in the doghouse, the lack of size is more glaring than ever. We all like Blair, but he's 6-6, undersized for a PF as is and has no business not only playing C, but playing C with an SF (Jefferson) or a SG/SF (Finley) as the PF. This is just asking for a layup drill.

I knew it all along, shooting be damned, Blair-Ratliff should have been the backup big combo. Realistically, they wouldn't play a ton together and in second halves, Pop could have got McDyess out early, put Blair in, then have McDyess re-enter when Ratliff is in, or something like that if it was so important to have a big capable of making jump shots on the court at all times. More importantly, from a defensive standpoint this would have made the Spurs far more formidable at the rim.

Pop is a hypocrite in that he preaches defense, but he doesn't play lineups that are conducive to being successful defensively. Maybe it's from being burned too often in the past for not having enough offense, that he's so cognizant of that now that offense takes precedence over defense. If he's going to do that, then he shouldn't act like defense is vital and then not treat it as such with foolish lineups.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Blair as the center with four wings. :lmao

Seriously, you Popsuckers can kiss my ass. He's a fucking retard.

jjktkk
02-25-2010, 02:19 AM
Please, Dice averaged 30 minutes per game last season and giving him more P.T. would really help the team with rebounding (something we again lacked tonight). Both of them are capable of playing more minutes here and there, but Pop feels the need to freeze Dice out after the first 4 or 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter. Pop's line-ups sucked badly at times tonight, especially when he puts old-ass Finley on Durant (:lol:lol:depressed), he's just lucky that Manu and Timmy bailed him out.

Old-ass Finley. And McDyess is young? Pop manages McDyess's minutes, so McDyess doesn't wear out. Look I hate small ball too, but Pop probably doesn't give a shit what we think of his rotations. Besides, the Spurs did win tonight, so I personally am not going to nit pik a win.

jjktkk
02-25-2010, 02:28 AM

I agree with you on Finley, but apparently there is a reason for not getting Mahimni acclimated to the NBA. Mahimni has all the physical tools, but what about the mental tools? Why won't Pop play a 6'10", athletic guy like Mahimni when the Spurs so desperately need more size, rebounding, shotblocking, etc...? BTW, I highly doubt Pop loses any sleep worrying about pissing players off.

Capt Bringdown
02-25-2010, 02:28 AM
In 17 minutes, Dice was 0 for 6 and 2 rebounds.
Small ball is our only option.

TD 21
02-25-2010, 02:29 AM
Old-ass Finley. And McDyess is young? Pop manages McDyess's minutes, so McDyess doesn't wear out. Look I hate small ball too, but Pop probably doesn't give a shit what we think of his rotations. Besides, the Spurs did win tonight, so I personally am not going to nit pik a win.

Yeah I know, Pop acts like McDyess has to be kept to 20 mpg, but Finley's old ass averaged what, 28 mpg last season? You can say "out of necessity", but he'd have played over 20 anyway and he has a lot more mileage on his legs than McDyess does. Pop just has this idea with veteran big men, particularly ones with injury histories, that they have to be kept to a ridiculously low amount of minutes. He did it with Thomas too, even though it was obvious from day one that Thomas was the second best big man on the team.

With the composition of this roster, the urgency for wins and the stage they're at in the season, it's time to start playing McDyess 25-30 mpg. He can handle it because he handled 30-35 mpg around this time last season with the Pistons and carried a bigger burden for that team than he has to on this one.

Come playoff time (roughly): Duncan 40 mpg, McDyess 32 mpg, Blair 24 mpg, is how the big man rotation should be.

Sean Cagney
02-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Remember, we were only in November and needed to acclimate all of the new faces. The team was a "title contender" and didn't have time to develop Mahinmi nor Hairston. Now, we see the dividends with the veteran center traded away for nothing and the athletic, raw and young player wasting away on the bench. Oh, and it doesn't matter if they see actual upside in Mahinmi, since they thought to not exercise his option, and he'll probably sign-on with another team or go back to Europe. What a win-win situation the F.O. has placed themselves in.. :rolleyes:rolleyes

About a bunch of f in idiots at times developing players, I swear Ian and Malik would be big now if they were on a team like LA! Hell maybe even Denver or Dallas! I swear as great as our coach has been and our FO, they fukked over a title or two from decisions! FOUR TITLES YES! But it could have been 5 or 6 already! I swear I will always think that there. Talent carried them so far and great moves, but they could have had more IMO.

jjktkk
02-25-2010, 02:46 AM

I didn't see this game, so I didn't get to see this lineup with Blair as the 5 and 4 wings. Against this team I don't see it as that big of a deal since OKC doesn't have a dominant front court, provided that this lineup is used in small doses. BTW I'm a fan of Pop. I do not like his small ball lineups, but IMO he plays small ball because of a lack of a consistant big to put alongside Duncan. I don't like Pop constantly changing his starting lineups, but IMO he does this to try and find the right starting 5 combination. He should of found the right starting 5 a long time ago and should be critized for failing to do so. But to call a coach of Pop's stature a "retard", is mind boggling to me. But you are an Aggie, so that explains alot. :lol

Sean Cagney
02-25-2010, 02:49 AM

POP IS A FUKKIN IDIOT, period........ He has lost his damn mind this year and all of us know it.

jjktkk
02-25-2010, 02:49 AM
Yeah I know, Pop acts like McDyess has to be kept to 20 mpg, but Finley's old ass averaged what, 28 mpg last season? You can say "out of necessity", but he'd have played over 20 anyway and he has a lot more mileage on his legs than McDyess does. Pop just has this idea with veteran big men, particularly ones with injury histories, that they have to be kept to a ridiculously low amount of minutes. He did it with Thomas too, even though it was obvious from day one that Thomas was the second best big man on the team.

With the composition of this roster, the urgency for wins and the stage they're at in the season, it's time to start playing McDyess 25-30 mpg. He can handle it because he handled 30-35 mpg around this time last season with the Pistons and carried a bigger burden for that team than he has to on this one.

Come playoff time (roughly): Duncan 40 mpg, McDyess 32 mpg, Blair 24 mpg, is how the big man rotation should be.

I like your playoff rotation. But maybe thats what Pop is thinking as well, hence the managing of McDyess's minutes in the regular season to save him for the playoffs.

TD 21
02-25-2010, 02:52 AM
I like your playoff rotation. But maybe thats what Pop is thinking as well, hence the managing of McDyess's minutes in the regular season to save him for the playoffs.

No, I get that, but he still over does it. Like McDyess couldn't have played 22-24 mpg? He easily could have. Pop is overly cautious. If the Spurs can bring over Splitter next summer, he along with Blair's likely improvement, should mean that McDyess will only be needed for 20 mpg.

jjktkk
02-25-2010, 03:29 AM
No, I get that, but he still over does it. Like McDyess couldn't have played 22-24 mpg? He easily could have. Pop is overly cautious. If the Spurs can bring over Splitter next summer, he along with Blair's likely improvement, should mean that McDyess will only be needed for 20 mpg.

I agree somewhat, but IMO Pop is over cautious when dealing with players on the wrong side of 30. Not saying thats the right way, but you never know when the gas tank hits empty with these "old jalopies". As far as next year, thats a potentially good lineup to me. Just have to hope Splitter comes over.

HornetLoveJones
02-25-2010, 08:49 AM
This isn't even midgetball.. at least not compared to that pathetic lineup by Mavs last year. Kidd, Terry, and Barea? How that lineup won 50 games is beyond me.

ElNono
02-25-2010, 09:22 AM
I don't think Bonner is in the doghouse at all. I just think Pop saw that OKC started to run isos against him as soon as he put him in. First it was Green, who got an and 1, then the rookie Harden, whom Matt met at the rim fairly well.
Which brings the point home that some teams will exploit having him out there.

TJastal
02-25-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't think Bonner is in the doghouse at all. I just think Pop saw that OKC started to run isos against him as soon as he put him in. First it was Green, who got an and 1, then the rookie Harden, whom Matt met at the rim fairly well.
Which brings the point home that some teams will exploit having him out there.

+1

Bonner is not a good defender even though people on this forum claim he is. It's compounded by the fact that the refs hate his guts and will bend him over every chance they get.

rascal
02-25-2010, 09:32 AM

Thoughts?

Pop is trying to tank. It just didn't work in this game.

Mark in Austin
02-25-2010, 10:11 AM

He was also a defensive monster next to Duncan compared to what has been out there recently. He had good looks offensively and they just didn't fall, but he's usually aotomatic from the elbow. He needs to be out there 25+ minutes a game.

in2deep
02-25-2010, 10:16 AM
look at the bright side. at least Bonner wasn't out ther

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2010, 10:23 AM

Go look at Dice's stats over the last 2-3 weeks and get back to me on our "options".

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2010, 10:24 AM
I agree with you on Finley, but apparently there is a reason for not getting Mahimni acclimated to the NBA. Mahimni has all the physical tools, but what about the mental tools? Why won't Pop play a 6'10", athletic guy like Mahimni when the Spurs so desperately need more size, rebounding, shotblocking, etc...? BTW, I highly doubt Pop loses any sleep worrying about pissing players off.

Ian is getting the 'we didn't pick up his option so we're going to hide him at the end of the bench and hope we can re-sign him this summer' treatment.

jjktkk
02-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Ian is getting the 'we didn't pick up his option so we're going to hide him at the end of the bench and hope we can re-sign him this summer' treatment.

It sure looks that way, but if what your saying is true, I wonder is Mahimni tells Pop where to go this Summer and signs with another team.

ElNono
02-25-2010, 02:31 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear Presti in OKC already called him and told him he's got a place for him there. Ian is his pet project too.

dbestpro
02-25-2010, 02:46 PM
The battle of the Spurs is on!

POP vs MANU

Manu trying to win games and Pop trying to lose them.

Who will come out on top? Enquiring minds want to know!

Obstructed_View
02-26-2010, 05:44 PM
It sure looks that way, but if what your saying is true, I wonder is Mahimni tells Pop where to go this Summer and signs with another team.

Yeah, I can't imagine a guy actually being happy about a team doing that to him. What's more, it's highly unlikely that the Spurs are going to be the highest bidder for Mahinmi come July.

dbestpro
02-26-2010, 05:49 PM
OKC will try and clean house on SA. I look for them to try and sign Ian and Manu this summer.

objective
02-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine a guy actually being happy about a team doing that to him. What's more, it's highly unlikely that the Spurs are going to be the highest bidder for Mahinmi come July.

the only parallel I can think of is when Jayson Williams was traded from the 76ers to the Nets there was a clause in the trade that if some combination of his stats exceeded a certain number the first season, it triggered additional compensation to the 76ers. Something like (not exact, just an excample) Min+Pts+Rebs > 20 or something like that, and he was benched on purpose as the year went on to not set off the additional payments/picks to be owed.

He didn't hold it against NJ and would eventually play well, get a huge huge contract, and of course kill a limo driver with a shotgun as well as other terrible things.

objective
02-26-2010, 06:21 PM
OKC will try and clean house on SA. I look for them to try and sign Ian and Manu this summer.

I tend to doubt that. Presti has Ian 2.0 with Ibaka, and Harden is their off the bench punch a-la Manu already, while Sefolosha is the Bowen-role.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2010, 07:12 PM
the only parallel I can think of is when Jayson Williams was traded from the 76ers to the Nets there was a clause in the trade that if some combination of his stats exceeded a certain number the first season, it triggered additional compensation to the 76ers. Something like (not exact, just an excample) Min+Pts+Rebs > 20 or something like that, and he was benched on purpose as the year went on to not set off the additional payments/picks to be owed.

He didn't hold it against NJ and would eventually play well, get a huge huge contract, and of course kill a limo driver with a shotgun as well as other terrible things.

The only difference is that Mahinmi is going to be a free agent, and someone's going to give him a few million dollars just because he's tall and athletic. If Pop wants to keep Mahinmi, what he should be doing is playing him 30 minutes a game and hoping he gets hurt.