PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Never normal — Ginobili's last leap

duncan228
02-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Never normal — Ginobili's last leap (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Never_normal__Ginobilis_last_leap.html)
Buck Harvey

The previous time, Kevin Durant stood under the basket when Manu Ginobili flew out of bounds. This was in Oklahoma City.

Then, in the final seconds, Ginobili's body was parallel to the ground. Durant watched as Ginobili threw a no-look pass that led to a win.

This time convinced Durant.

“He's not normal,” Durant said.

San Antonio knew this about Ginobili already. But in a season that's not normal, either, Wednesday brought out the one, skinny, left-handed chance the Spurs have at becoming more than first-round fodder.

The evening began without many expectations. All Ginobili anticipated was the residue of the rodeo, but then he came out for warmups, seeing the AT&T Center floor for the first time since January, and he was mildly encouraged.

“It doesn't smell too bad,” he said.

Removing odors from his team would require more than a few gallons of Febreze. And when Gregg Popovich tossed out his 19th different starting lineup of the season, with Tony Parker still limping, the Spurs again looked like an eighth seed teetering toward the lottery.

Maybe this is what they ultimately are, especially with a demanding schedule the rest of the way. Maybe, when Ginobili tells Parker in one of those commercials, “Tony, get your tackle box, because it's time to go fish,” it's a theme Kenny and Charles joke about in April.

Maybe, too, Wednesday isn't a sample of what is possible. The Thunder had played the night before and then, because of injuries, went with a seven-man rotation against the Spurs.

Still, the Spurs were coming off disheartening losses to lottery teams. And with Durant emerging as the best of those below the Kobe-LeBron kingdom, well, the Spurs aren't in position to shrug anymore when things go right.

The Thunder helped. They went the final four minutes without a field goal, similar to what they did the night before against the Suns, and maybe they are confused.

The Spurs are supposed to be their role model, aren't they?

But it was all there for the Thunder with a little less than three minutes left. Then they trailed by just a point when Durant took off and headed for what would surely become a fast-break dunk.

Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks said he never saw Ginobili coming. Asked why, he shrugged.

“He's Manu,” said Brooks.

Brooks talked again about that game in Oklahoma City. He loved how Ginobili missed all 10 of his shots that night, yet he was there at the end diving out of bounds.

“He's just a winner,” Brooks said. “He's special.”

Again, San Antonio already knows this. But the city hadn't seen this Ginobili the past two postseasons; there were some doubting if anyone would again.

He showed signs this season, and more on the road trip. And then came this night, when, at the end, he seemed to be involved in every rebound, every assist, every score.

The block overshadowed all of it, and the victim was a reason. Durant already had 21 points after three quarters, and he seemed certain to get to the 25-point mark he had hit in every game since mid-December.

So there was Durant, 6-foot-9 and stretching for the lead — with Ginobili sneaking his hand above the rim.

Durant smiled afterward talking about it, as if he oddly appreciated the moment, too. He said it was “a big-time play,” and he made no excuses.

“Clean,” he said.

To the Thunder, this time was like the previous time. And for the Spurs, this was like the good times, when Ginobili had lift, and he made plays, and he won games the Spurs shouldn't have won.

Which, in those years, was normal.

lefty
02-25-2010, 01:16 AM
He's not normal

He's Manu Ginobili

carina_gino20
02-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Good comments from KD.

"He's not normal."

We've been saying this for years. :lol

I'm really happy for Manu because I think he needed a game like this. I just hope the Spurs can find some semblance of consistency.

scottspurs
02-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Yeah Kevin Durant is a class act. It looks like we have the return of GINOBILIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

The Truth #6
02-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Wow. Great article.

Blackjack
02-25-2010, 01:58 AM
That's two games in a row with Manu looking and playing strong late, which is definitely noteworthy and a positive development.:tu

raspsa
02-25-2010, 02:05 AM
I was expecting the Spurs to run out of gas and fade in the 4th, as has happened so often in the past.. good thing Manu had more than enough energy for the whole team and imposed his will in that game..

dav4463
02-25-2010, 02:12 AM
It was great to see Manu have a game like this and so great to see a classy player like Durant show respect. I can't hate OKC. They remind me of the Spurs. By the way, Duncan was very solid tonight as well. If this team can just be healthy at playoff time.........who knows?

Manu-of-steel
02-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Class act by Durant. And Manu- wow! He's back!

carina_gino20
02-25-2010, 02:15 AM
It's just frustrating though because I really don't know how we're gonna get past the first round if we are forced to play extended minutes of small ball and even midget ball. Pop should've given Ian some burn early in the season.

Manu-of-steel
02-25-2010, 02:18 AM
It's just frustrating though because I really don't know how we're gonna get past the first round if we are forced to play extended minutes of small ball and even midget ball. Pop should've given Ian some burn early in the season.

Agree. Even Theo was not given that much playing time. Now we're stuck with midget ball. We'll be eaten alive in the boards by opposing teams, especially now that timmy is not as dominant as before.

Manu-of-steel
02-25-2010, 02:34 AM
That's two games in a row with Manu looking and playing strong late, which is definitely noteworthy and a positive development.:tu

True. Manu is usually worn down during the 4th quarter. But his strong plays late in the game is once again reappearing. Definitely a good sign for the spurs. The bad thing is, we can't compete if we use small ball against good rebounding teams.

SenorSpur
02-25-2010, 03:47 AM
I've always heard KD was a class-act. His comment on the Manu block certainly uphold that reputation.

Truly a big-time, game-changing play by Manu. Nice to see that version of Manu back in action.

Bruno
02-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Manu in February: 19.4ppg in 30mpg, 4.4apg and a .479 FG%. Not bad. :smokin

I knew Ginobili could play way better than what he did sooner this year. Spurs will need other improvements to be back at a very good level but it's a nice step in the right direction.

ThaiFanofSpurs
02-25-2010, 07:38 AM
While I am very depressed every time the Spurs play this season, Manu's play tonight made me feel the relief. He's back and I hope this is Manu we have been waiting for. Thank you, Manu!

romsho
02-25-2010, 07:42 AM
When Manu is right physically, there is no one like him. He is without a doubt on the Mount Rushmore of Spur greats...no fucking way that guy should ever wear another NBA teams uniform.

urunobili
02-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Manu in February: 19.4ppg in 30mpg, 4.4apg and a .479 FG%. Not bad. :smokin

I think that's worth two years and 16 million :downspin:

Spurs Brazil
02-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Manu was fantastic yesterday. The block was the best Spurs play this season

TheChillFactor
02-25-2010, 08:32 AM
he's Manu Ginobili

Slippy
02-25-2010, 08:58 AM
he's Manu Ginobili

Ruff if you are reading. :toast

ElNono
02-25-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm also glad there has been no setbacks in his health (knock on wood). That was certainly a concern coming into the season, and especially after getting dinged up after 5 games or so...

wildbill2u
02-25-2010, 09:47 AM
He's Manu Ginobili

Let Shaq and Dwight argue about who is superman.

Everyone knows Superman is not a musclebound guy, but a mild mannered
guy who turns into superman when called upon to save the day.

Sounds like a perfect description Manu Ginobili to me.

SenorSpur
02-25-2010, 09:59 AM
While Tim has been the soul and foundation of the Spurs, Manu definitely has been the heart.

MoSpur
02-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Do you think Sam Presti and the OKC Thunder will make a run at Manu in the offseason? I don't see why not.

SenorSpur
02-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Do you think Sam Presti and the OKC Thunder will make a run at Manu in the offseason? I don't see why not.

That would be the ultimate insult to injury.

Bruno
02-25-2010, 12:05 PM

Thunder are a young team, whose biggest need is a bigman. I highly doubt a 33 years old SG will be their first option this summer.

rjv
02-25-2010, 12:11 PM
but according to all the spurstalk GM's we should trade manu. :rolleyes

LongtimeSpursFan
02-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I think that's worth two years and 16 million :downspin:

And maybe a team option year throw in.

duhoh
02-25-2010, 12:22 PM
let them take yawn!

MoSpur
02-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't think OKC minds having a very good Sixth Man and a vet w/Championship experience. A young team like that could benefit from having someone like Manu. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a run at him. Sam Presti obviously knows what he will get in Manu.

spurs10
02-25-2010, 04:02 PM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:
When Manu is right physically, there is no one like him. He is without a doubt on the Mount Rushmore of Spur greats...no fucking way that guy should ever wear another NBA teams uniform.
Hear,hear!!!

lefty
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Let Shaq and Dwight argue about who is superman.

Everyone knows Superman is not a musclebound guy, but a mild mannered
guy who turns into superman when called upon to save the day.

Sounds like a perfect description Manu Ginobili to me.
Yep

Plus, Manu has his bizarro SUperman, Gino Manubili