PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Quotes (Thunder Game)

duncan228
02-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Post Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/100224.html)

Gregg Popovich

Opening statement - We played a good battle for 48 minutes as it was real satisfying to beat a team that has played as well as they have. Defensively, we did a really good job as Manu's heroics offensively didn't hurt much either.

On if Westbrook's performance left Durant ineffective tonight - I don't know. I just know that as a group we reacted well defensively and we moved the ball on offense as we finally found a way to make some shots. We had a lot of great shots as down the stretch we made a few. It was a wonderful team effort, great communication, as we played hard against a team that play hard and have also had a great year.

On if he was pleased with Richard Jefferson's performance - Richard had ten boards as I thought he was very aggressive in just about everything he did as that's what we need him to do all the time. When he's aggressive like that and goes to the board, he makes us a better team.

On if Tony seemed slower tonight - I don't think he was a step slow. He didn't have his best night but Tony's ready to go."

Manu Ginobili

Opening statement - I'm tired, it was a tough game, we needed it and I'm very happy we could accomplish it. They were a tough team, they play hard, they have a lot of talent, young legs, so it was great to get this win.

On not letting the Spurs lose this game tonight - I was going to do my best for sure as sometimes you make the shots and sometimes you don't. Today I was smarter to attack the team better than a guy confident in making a couple shots. But I always try to do my best as each year the teams get harder.

On the block down the stretch against Durant - I really thought I was going to be in the highlights, but I thought it was going to be for him. It was a really tough game as they were running fast breaks as Durant is a great finisher. So I tried to go hard and avoid the easy bucket but I still can't believe that I ended up with a good play as that was a big one for us.

On what he will take from this game tonight - What I would take from this game is learning how to execute better. No matter where we're playing we have to execute better as our team is very capable. We didn't do that good of a job executing tonight as we have to learn to adjust our game.

Richard Jefferson

On the match-up against the Spurs tonight - Me and Pop had a quick conversation on having me play more at the three-position as it's a little difficult at times. Whether running the floor a lot which I've been doing, I think now I'm more comfortable at the position as I've learned to be aggressive out there.

On if tough to accept the "off-the-bench" role - No, it's one of the things where I just want to win. When you look at a guy like Manu whose been All-NBA and been one of the best players of the league and yet coming off the bench, you learn that this is not a pride thing. When you look at the situation where I didn't start tonight, but at the end I was in the game, which has been the situation on most of the games when I haven't started. As long as I earn those minutes in the end of the game I'm happy.

On how Manu's block ranks among the great defensive plays - It was just key and timing as he's one of the greatest competitors I've ever played with. He's timing, position, anticipation, steals, loose balls, blocks, he just always comes up with something impressive.

Scott Brooks

When asked if it puts a lot of pressure on him to play a 7 man ration on a back-to-back - Our guys are able to play minutes. All you need is five guys on the court. I learned that when I was a player. With five guys on the court you should be able to give yourself a chance to win, and we did that tonight. Our guys battled as well as I can expect our guys to play. We didn't make shots throughout the game, but we defended and we got back to playing defense. We lost to a very good team. The Spurs have had a long road trip and the first game back home is always tough. They're a very well coached team and I thought we played them very well.

On the last four minutes of the game - It comes down to making shots and we missed some. They do a good job of defending them. The Spurs are not going to give you any easy buckets. The Spurs are one of the better teams and defensively they're about as tough as they come in this league.

On Ginobili tonight - He makes the big play with the block in transition; that's superhero. It's amazing that he constantly makes winning plays. He was terrific. He's a pro, he knows he hasn't played well against us the last two times we played. He really put in a lot of good effort tonight. I don't know how he makes those plays, that isn't normal. If you're his teammate it must be fun playing with him. He plays all out every minute he's on the court. That's what basketball players do and he's a pro.

Kevin Durant

On two losses after a nine game streak - It's very important for us to get back on track and win games at home especially during this part of the season. We look forward to the challenge. It's all about bouncing back and we've been through this before. We all going to keep our heads up and get back to work.

On up and down the stretch - The Spurs made some big shots. With the good defensive play of Manu Ginobili making a great play and setting up George Hill for the 3-point shot and then he coming down himself and playing off a great screen. When Manu got that block against me I didn't even know he was around. Manu had a great block and that was a big time play. I didn't think he would jump up and meet me at the rim. He made a great block and it was very clean I can't take any credit away from him.

On making the big play - I think people are finally realizing this league is very tough and any given night you can lose. Teams make big plays. Even when you think you made a big play the other team might come back and make a bigger play. That is all part of this league and we can't get down on ourselves we just have to continue to work.

On the broken streak - It was good while it lasted. Teams it this league are too tough for my streak to continue to go on like it did. It was very cool while it lasted. I am very fortunate and privileged to do something like that. I feel very blessed. Any player would remember something like this. Now it's time to regroup and get ready for our next game.

carina_gino20
02-25-2010, 01:52 AM
KD on Twitter:

Hell of a block by Manu ginobili tonight..wow! Can't be mad at a great play like that

LoneStarState'sPride
02-25-2010, 03:50 AM
KD: classy dude. I'm impressed.

ezau
02-25-2010, 05:07 AM
KD is indeed one classy guy. He has very good words to Manu after the block. He didn't make any excuses, he just took it like a man

DBMethos
02-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Thumbs up to KD.

ThaiFanofSpurs
02-25-2010, 07:57 AM
KD is indeed one classy guy. He has very good words to Manu after the block. He didn't make any excuses, he just took it like a man

Hopefully, he was not asking Manu to go play for OKC after this season.

pookenstein
02-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Props to KD. Classy comment, classy guy.:tu
And Brooks: "thats superhero" ... hey after all it's BatManu we're talking about:lol.

smeagol
02-25-2010, 12:14 PM
On Ginobili tonight - He makes the big play with the block in transition; that's superhero. It's amazing that he constantly makes winning plays. He was terrific. He's a pro, he knows he hasn't played well against us the last two times we played. He really put in a lot of good effort tonight. I don't know how he makes those plays, that isn't normal. If you're his teammate it must be fun playing with him. He plays all out every minute he's on the court. That's what basketball players do and he's a pro.

And some idiots on this board still don't appreciate what he brings to the table . . .

duhoh
02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
And some idiots on this board still don't appreciate what he brings to the table . . .

:toast so many intangibles.

yes i agree. manu is very important to the spurs. he brings something you cannot measure with numbers. I think a lot of people here don't know how hard he worked in the 3 championship runs. seattle beat up on him like crazy. we're gonna need him to make another run.

will_spurs
02-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Durant was really classy indeed. The kind of guy I would easily root for (except when they play the Spurs obviously!) -- but if they make it to the playoffs it will be easy to root for KD and the Thunders.

I'm also happy with what RJ is saying, at least that's moving in the right direction. He's not a newbie so there is still hope.

TIMMYD!
02-25-2010, 05:43 PM
I can't believe NBA.com didn't pick this as the block of the night.

:ihit

DPG21920
02-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Post Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/100224.html)

Gregg Popovich

On if Tony seemed slower tonight - I don't think he was a step slow. He didn't have his best night but Tony's ready to go."

Really?

HarlemHeat37
02-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Ya, that quote surprised me too, even for Pop LOL..Tony looked horrible last night, he should be resting for longer..if the Spurs want to make a run, I'd rather see Parker at least get a few weeks to heal and make a stretch run in mid-March to the end of April..

#2!
02-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Ya, that quote surprised me too, even for Pop LOL..Tony looked horrible last night, he should be resting for longer..if the Spurs want to make a run, I'd rather see Parker at least get a few weeks to heal and make a stretch run in mid-March to the end of April..

I agree. While the Spurs would be taking a huge risk with their playoff chances, it has become extremely evident that its still going to be about the big 3 come the end of the season.

Manu's been rounding into shape slowly all season, the results are just now becoming obvious, and Tim has proven that even if he might be susceptible to wearing down he is able to sustain his rebounding numbers, and that his knowledge of the system (and bball in general) will remain. But the Spurs need a constant on offense, and that is Tony's job on the team.

He has to be able to get shots from right near the basket whenever he wants in order to allow any slack for Tim, Manu, and pretty much everybody else on the team. The Spurs style, and personell call for someone (Tony these days) to be capable of taking over a game offensively if needed. Since Tony has shown that he can temporarily (a game or 2) regain his quickness given a short rest, I don't see why a slightly extended rest would not be highly beneficial to his post season performance.

The Big 3 have been through the playoffs enough times that they know how a team needs to be playing in order to be successful, and I have no doubt that they will, to the best of their abilities, be playing in that manner. And if their teammates are unable to recognize, and rise up to that level then that is an entirely seperate problem to be dealt with in the offseason. Outside of that scenario, the Spurs best chance is to make sure each member of the Big 3 (only Tony has a real problem currently) is ready to go, and that the guys we're going to need to use are playing enough to know their role.